New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A Song of Death [IC]

Eitri sighed and winced at the cries. They served as a grim reminder of the cacophony of blood and madness that had sent the city into an insane murderlust... and recalled echoes of the strange, unnatural chorus that had accompanied it.

Almost unconsciously, the hammer was in his hand once more. "Righ'. Cai, y've got th' best eyes out've us. Someone else go with'er though, at least in case we need t'get somethin' off'er back. I'll edge up a little for yeh, missie, an' cover yeh best I can. Jus' don't expect these old eyes t'see what's goin' on."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cai nods in agreement. "Any one else able to move silently and want to come along? Everyone else let us get a ways ahead before you follow."
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

The tall cleric had kept to himself, seemingly ignoring the others. Occasionally they can hear him muttering under his breath, although the words are unclear...

In fact, Ngeri spends the time constantly praying to the Nightingale, praying for insight, for answers, for a response. Anything. As the group reached the exit, he visibly cringed at the sounds of death and violence coming from above. He glances up at the exit, then at the others. Finally he speaks again.

"I'm not much of one for stealth. I...I think I'll stay with the main group, if that's okay..."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

The journey is not a pleasant one for Ráslím. Fighting their way through webbing tires him, and any movement in the shadows looks to have some sinister intent. The distant screams take him back to the jungles for a second, just long enough to recall the fate of those he had traveled with. But as quickly as those thoughts came, they left Ráslím as can how these are not the screams he is used to, they are screams of pain and agony, not the otherworldly torment he has faced before.

Taking control of himself once more, Ráslím declines to travel with Cai, "I'm not particularly good at sneaking myself, there's always a twig to snap underfoot or rock to skitter across the ground when I'm around."
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï begins the short climb up through the hole. It's not a difficult climb, there are plenty of rocks and roots to grab unto. Soon she reaches the bushes and roots covering the hole and carefully pushes them aside so that she can slip through. Once past the thick growth covering the hole she finds herself out in the open, looking around at a dark and dreary place.

The hole she came through is hidden behind a large, dead bush growing against a tall, gray wall which surrounds what Cáï quickly recognises as a graveyard. The ground is barren and from the looks of it all the dead have left their graves, leaving the place full of holes but at first sight no walking dead. In the center of the graveyard stands a massive building, looming over Cáï darkly. The heavy wooden doors leading to the building have been torn off, and now lie on the ground. Cáï can just make out a few letters on the doors, reading "..sav Priso..". Inside there is nothing but eerie darkness.

Opposite the large building stand the gates in the wall, wide open and leading to the rest of the city. Cáï can hear both screams and a maniacal laughter and excited yelling coming from the other side of the gate as if a large group of people have gathered to slaughter each other in some sort of bloody festivity.

At first there is no sign of anything moving in the graveyard, then suddenly Cáï becomes aware of an unnerving sound and spots something moving near the back of the graveyard. In the darkness it is difficult to make out the details, but eventually Cáï realises that it appears to be a large canine figure, like a huge dog of some sort, gnawing on a small pile of bones. The sound is truly disquieting, but the beast doesn't appear to have noticed her.

6. - Top - End - #156

Cai hopes the others will be quiet during their climb as she can't safely warn them of the wolf. Instead she quietly makes her way towards the church to see if anything is there and if she can determine what else is going on around here.
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï sneaks across the graveyard so that she can get a look inside the prison through the broken door. The place is dark and quiet, leaving the impression that everyone once locked up in there has left and no doubt now roam the streets, whether dead or alive. A chilling wind seems to come from within, however, like the breath of some terrible spirit.

Taking a peek around the corner of the gate to the rest of the city, Cáï spots the tower she remembers falling from, and at its base stands a group of people obviously in the grip of madness, although she can't see what exactly they're doing. Most of them have their backs to her and the gate, so it might be possible to sneak past them and get on the other side of the tower, however. Whether that would work for the whole group is a good question, though, and without them around and ready to aid it could go bad should she be spotted.

Meanwhile, the rest of the group may begin to wonder why they are still standing around down there in the spider tunnels.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you leave the tunnels, remember to make Stealth checks - unless you intend to not make an effort to be stealthy of course.

8. - Top - End - #158

The chill wind awakens a fear in Cai that she had never thought to feel again. Images of the forest danced before her eyes. The sounds, it was almost like they were here again. It took all of Cai's will to banish them from her mind. Now was not the time to be thinking of the past.

Thankfully no one had followed here yet and she carefully made her way back to the tunnel. The werewolf was most disturbing, though the people wrapped in madness posed a significant threat as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealth Check:
    (1d20+18)[23]

Slipping down the tunnel, Cai explains what she saw. "Well were not alone out here. The tunnel exits into a graveyard and all the corpses have risen and left. Our more immediate concern is that there is a werewolf near the back of the graveyard munching on bones. If were careful we could get past him and get to the church that is in the middle of the graveyard. However, there is a large mob of crazzed people outside of the graveyard by the base of a tower. I could probably sneak past them but I'm not sure how you would all fare."
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï slips past the beast easily and into the tunnels. It is obviously not paying attention to anything but the bones.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

After listening to Cai's description of the area, Ráslím's mind hits upon an idea to get them to safety, though at first he doesn't want to even try it. It comes from his newer powers, the ones he got during his journey, and he doesn't like using those powers when he doesn't have too. Thinking about fighting through a mass of corrupted..."things" doesn't appeal to him though, and so he speaks up. "I can get all of us past the mob. I can open up a hole, a portal, for us to walk through, with one end over here, and one end in safety. But for this to work, I need to be able to see where I'm opening both ends."
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2010-01-13 at 07:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Ericr's jaw tightened at the mention of a werewolf. So close, but might as well be out of reach.

He took a calming breath, then looked to the one called Raslim.

"How soon can you do this, then?"
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

"I can sneak up and do it now, I guess. The question is where are we trying to get to?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

"An' tha's a damn good question y've got there, too. Stayin' in th' city can't possibly be safe... I vote we get out've 'ere soon as we can. Break for the nearest exit that won't be guarded." Eitri's brow furrows at the mention of the werewolf. "Tha' sounds a bit risky there, the portal an' all... jus' what sorta magic do y'got there, Ráslím? I'll do it if it means gettin' by th' werewolf. Jus'.. be careful. Every time we sneak past an enemy, it means we've got somethin' behind us if we need t'run. I'm no soldier, but I recognize enough tha' gettin' pinned b'tween a mad mob an' a werewolf isn't th' most enjoyable experience. I almost vote tha' we either go back down for a lil' bit an' look fer other ways out, 'r we try to take out th' dog on its own some'ow. Give us a lil' wiggle room, yeh?"

14. - Top - End - #164

Well regardless of what we do, the longer we take deciding the better we'll be discovered. I could scout ahead and see if I can distract the mob."
    Last edited by Emlyn; 2010-01-15 at 08:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

Ráslím considers what Eitri says, "Well, if do kill the werewolf first, that would give me more freedom in setting up the portals to get past the mob."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Aye. An' if we can lure it into th' tunnels without havin' t' attract anyone else, we can bottleneck it. Keep it from callin' out t'anyone else, yeh?"

17. - Top - End - #167

"Well, I'm one for action so I'll go shot the wolf. That ought to get it's attention. You get set up while I climb up again."

Cai will move to F11 and shot from there. But first turn will just be moving there, not attacking. (give everyone time to set up and I want my move action)

Stealth: (1d20+18)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï moves into position. As she leaves the hole the creature looks up briefly as if listening, but quickly returns to gnawing on the bones, allowing Cáï to move close enough to get a shot at it if she likes.

Seeing the beast again Cáï isn't sure the thing would be able to get into the hole. It also doesn't quite look like a werewolf. Far too big, and there is something disturbing about it, but distance and darkness make it hard for her to tell what it is if it's not a werewolf or regular wolf.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

"Let's get going then,"
    Ráslím climbs out of the hole after Cai, taking position near her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to F11 with Cai, ready an action to use Grasping shadows if/when the wolf thing ends it's turn within range (10).
    Attack vs will-(1d20+13)[33]
    damage-(1d8+5)[8]
    Also slows it till the end of my next turn.

Stealth check to get to Cai.
    (1d20+6)[25]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wonderful. You've finally made up your minds."

Grimnir raises his rods, waiting.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor: Curse the wolf.
    Standard: Readied action for as soon as the wolf gets in range (10 squares from the tunnel entrance).
    Frigid Darkness (1d20+12)[21] against Fort
    (2d8+3)[13] cold +4 rods +1 Empowering Shadows +(1d6)[6] Warlock's Curse
    Effect: Target takes -4 AC and grants combat advantage until the end of my next turn.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

21. - Top - End - #171

Seeing here companions coming, Cai takes the first shot. Muttering under her breath, "This better work."

Spoiler
    Show

Mark as quarry
    Singular Shot: 36 vs. AC
    Damage: 29
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï takes aim and fires a shot at the great beast. As the arrow strikes the large beast it lets go of the bones it were gnawing upon and turns its head to stare at Cáï. As it moves to get up she realises how wrong she had been in assuming this was a werewolf. Towering in the distance, it looks like broken, half rotten limbs and twisted faces forever contorted in pain and horror stick out from all over its body. It looks like someone stitched together a monstrous hound from the corpses of the graveyard and commanded it to walk.

While everyone gets up through the hole and prepares to face the monstrosity, the hound lets out a howl from the depths of its rotten throat and charges straight at Cáï with surprising speed for a big lumbering pile of corpses. As it gets within proper sight, those close enough to see its twisted features feel a touch of horror. While Ráslim's quickly delivered spell slows its charge down, Grimnir's spell appears to have done nothing to the beast at all.

As the dog howls and sets off towards Cáï, the pile of bones it had been gnawing upon moves and begins to rise and form into four child-sized skeletons with wicked grins. Following behind the great beast and using its massive body as cover, the skeletons move towards the group with sharpened daggers of bone raised. They almost seem to move as one, perfectly synchronized. Two of them even appear to be identical, as far as one can judge skeletons to be identical.

Spoiler
    Show
    29 damage to dog from Cáï and 8 damage from Ráslim. The dog is slowed.

Everyone's turn.

The orange-y circle around the dog is an aura. When you start your turn within it you take -2 to attacks until end of your next turn.

Skel1: Unhurt
    Skel2: Unhurt
    Skel3: Unhurt
    Skel4: Unhurt
    Cáï: 25, 37/75 hp, -2 attacks (aura)
    Ericr: 25, 57/102 hp
    Grimnir: 23, 52/78 hp
    Ngeri: 22, 62/78 hp
    Eitri: 21, 53/95 hp
    Ráslim: 16, 65/65 hp, -2 attacks (aura)
    Dog: Barely hurt, Cáï's Quarry, Cursed by Grimnir, slowed til end of Ráslim's turn

23. - Top - End - #173

Cai is shaken by the massive beast that's thundering towards her. The spider was of this world, but this? However, her years of training serve her well and she quickly let's fly two more arrows, one at the wolf and the other at the skeleton behind it.

Spoiler
    Show

Biting Volley wolf: 30
    Damage: 21
    Biting Volley (firestorm arrow)
    Skeleton 1: 21
    Damage: 29
    Damage to adjacent creatures: 12

Move: M2
    Last edited by Emlyn; 2010-01-23 at 12:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

(I believe that, sine in 4e diagonal squares don't have any extra cost, the dog is in range of my readied action).

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Once again Ericr's clothes hardened into black laquered plate armour as he rose from the hole. He rushed forward, hands gripping his sword as it glowed with a radiant light, dancing with shapes that hinted of a bird's wings.

"Abomination, learn the cost of blasphemy."

The massive blade swept forward as he dug his feet in, connecting with a crash and digging into the 'body' of the monster, searing and flashing with the distilled fury of the Nightengale's chosen knight.

Spoiler
    Show

Critical hit deals damage of 33. Rolled 10 for the high crit property, 12 for the 'versus evil' extra crit damage of the Righteous blade.

That comes to a grand total of 55 damage. I think that's my best one-round damage yet on a paladin! I feel shiny.

Also, people of course gain the 8 temp hp.

Last edited by nepphi; 2010-01-24 at 03:42 PM.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimnir watches dispassionately as the wolf shakes off his spell. "Tough one, huh? Well, then...duck." A shard of blue-black light leaps off his rod and streaks towards the wolf, then shatters, hurling tiny biting bits of darkness through the air.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor: Curse Skeleton 2
    Move: Move to M10
    Standard: Deadly Judgement
    (1d20+12)[32] vs Reflex
    (2d8+8)[14] +4 Rods +1 Empowering Shadows +(1d6)[4]Warlock's Curse to the Wolf
    4+(1d6)[5] Warlock's Curse to Skeleton 2
    4 to skeletons 1 and 4

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri grips his holy symbol tightly and mutters a prayer to the Nightingale. Silver light outlines the creature, making him an easier target for all.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to L10, cast Astral Seal on the bg bad wolf. 23 vs Ref. -2 to all its defenses until end of my next turn. +9 hp to the next ally to hit him after this.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï fires two shots before moving back away from the beast. The first arrow strikes the dog and sinks deep into its writhing hide of undead flesh. The other arrow flies past the target and disappears in the darkness beyond.

Ericr storms forth and with earth-trembling force and holy fury strikes at the unholy abomination in front of him. The heavy blade cuts deeply into the undead creature, though the beast still stands strong. The mighty display of power proved quite inspiring to those nearby, however.

Grimnir follows up with a painful strike, and this time the dog fails to avoid the dread power. However, the necrotic energy seems less effective against the monstrousity. The skeletons likewise shrug off most of the necrotic power lashing out at them.

Ngeri steps up to surround the beast in holy light, but fails to strike true against the surprisingly mobile pile of corpses.

Eitri follows Ericr, moving into range of the monster and marking it before striking out with his hammer. Unfortunately the strike misses.

Ráslim moves against the southern wall and summons a column of golden flames around the skeletons and dog. The flames miss the dog just barely, but the three skeletons behind it are singed by the flames.

The dog does not appear amused at Ericr's strike and lashes out at him with both its claws. As if by some unholy retribution for his attack, both claws strike with power almost matching his own. As if to further spite the paladin, the dog makes a quick snap at him with its maw of razor sharp teeth, but fortunately misses. Yet despite Eitri's protective ward and quick intervention, the two strikes still hurt.

Round 2
    Two of the skeletons slip around the dog to strike at Ericr, but both fail to get past his defences. The other two moves at Cáï instead. Thanks to the zone of antipathy around her only one skeleton gets a stab at her, giving her a painful couple of new wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going ahead, can't wait forever.

21 damage to dog from Cáï.

55! damage to dog from Ericr! 8 temp hp to Cáï and Ráslim.

8 damage to dog from Grimnir, 4 damage to skeleton 2 from Grimnir.

Eitri's actions: Move, Aegis of Shielding, Booming Cudgel. Ericr gains +2 to defences from being adjacent to Eitri. Dog is marked, but attack missed.

Ráslím's actions: Move, Scorching Burst on Skeleton 1. 13 damage to Skeleton 1, 2 and 4 from Ráslim.

48 damage to Ericr from Dog. Eitri intervenes and reduces the damage by 20, to 28 damage. I swear the dog rolled two critical hits... two twenties... fortunately its third attack was a 2 (and it doesn't carry an unholy fullblade). I may have to start rolling openly lest you think I'm punishing you or something

15 damage to Cáï from skeleton 4 (reduced to 7 after temp hp are gone).

Everyone's turn.

The orange-y circle around the dog is an aura. When you start your turn within it you take -2 to attacks until end of your next turn.

Skel1: Barely hurt
    Skel2: Barely hurt, Cursed by Grimnir
    Skel3: Unhurt
    Skel4: Barely hurt
    Cáï: 25, 30/75 hp
    Ericr: 25, 29/102 hp, +2 defences (adj. to Eitri), -2 attacks (aura)
    Grimnir: 23, 52/78 hp
    Ngeri: 22, 62/78 hp
    Eitri: 21, 53/95 hp, -2 attacks (aura)
    Ráslim: 16, 65/65 hp, 8 temp hp
    Dog: Hurt, Cáï's Quarry, Cursed by Grimnir, Aegis of Shielding
    Last edited by Deadly; 2010-01-27 at 03:20 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Cai grits here teeth and forces down the pain. She nimbly backs away from the skeletons before firing a quick shot at one of them. Then she retreats farther back trying to get out of range.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor: Hunter's quarry skeleton 3
    Attack: Nimble Strike, shift to N2 before attack. 19 vs AC (natural 1)
    Damage: 25
    Move: Q2
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Ericr snarled at the impacts, feeling bones creak and muscles burst. Still he remained in the line of battle, turning toward one of the skeletons beside him and taking a swing. The stroke was not as sure as the previous blow, but he still put his back into the effort, even as his muscles again rippled and the canine visage of his kith showed forth.

"A bit of healing...would not go amiss." He said through clenched teeth as he felt the blood running down his sides. The armour would be impossible to clean out properly, he considered.

Then with a burst of determination he turned and swung his sword again, striking the other skeleton moving up on him, exulting in a good fight as much as any knight ever had.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled a 21 to hit skeleton #1, dealing 13 damage if it hits, which I believe it does.

Rolled a 26 to hit skeleton #2, dealing 10 damage.

Since I spent an action point, the skeletons and Dog adjacent to Ericr are Weakened until the end of their next turn.
    Last edited by nepphi; 2010-01-27 at 05:10 PM.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik