New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Song of Death [IC]

If they could all sneak past the mob when leaving the graveyard, and perhaps move through the alleys south and east of the tower, then they could sneak past the mob again and unto the bridge. It would require moving through the alleys, which may not be much safer but at the very least provides good cover and better chances of hiding than in the open. Cáï can't see anything moving down in the alleys, but there could easily be a lot hiding from her view.

Cáï also believes she sees a sewer entrance in one of the alleys below. Where the sewers might lead is impossible to tell, but it seems likely that they could lead to other parts of the city. One could even hope that all the undead and other critters have long since left the sewers to prowl the surface, thus leaving them empty. It's a feeble hope, but a hope nonetheless.

Other than that there aren't any obvious paths to take, or anything much that could help them.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Satisfied that she has found the best routes, Cai climbs down from the tower and returns to the group.

Athletics: (1d20+11)[29]
    Stealth: (1d20+18)[33]

Walking up to the group, it's obvious something is different about her. Her walk has lost its smoothness. She is constantly scanning around her. But most telling is her eyes which betray not a single hint of emotion, not fear nor terror just empty calculating orbs. She explains that the going north of the tower is impractical, the mod is too large. There best bet is either to go south through the back allays or go into a swear she noticed in the allays. She mentions that there is still fighting in the northern most part of the city and that the east gate is overrun and more are coming. Nothing is said about the cloud or the horror she witnessed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

3. - Top - End - #213

Eitri

Eitri watched as Cai snuck past the mob and scaled the tower. Lass'd better watch herself, he thought privately, Otherwise she'll break her neck.. He let free a breath he'd been unconsciously been holding as she reached the pinnacle of the climb, and pulled herself up onto the top.

He moved towards her, as she approached, and he listened intently as she explained the situation, although he didn't notice her distress at what she had seen. "You've done well, lass" he said to her, his hammer held gripped in his hand, as he realised just how far the town and its folk had fallen. "Much as tha Dwarf in me likes the idea of going into tha sewers, tha streets sound like they'd be safer. We dinnae ken what lies in the sewers, and we dinnae ken where they be going. But if ye want to be going into tha sewers, I willnae stop ye."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

"The Nightengale will account for these blasphemies later."

Ericr looked grim as he stood with the group. It was taking every degree of his personal control not to charge the mob and DO something.

"Let's head south."
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

"The streets, without a doubt. We won't likely run into anything worse than the mob. And the mob are just people. People die easily enough."
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Meanwhile, Ngeri thinks he saw something move in the shadows on the other side of the graveyard. Turning to look he sees a ghostly woman, with long raven hair standing amidst the shadows. She looks towards him, as if to call out, but is gone from sight the very same moment, swallowed up by the darkness. Ngeri is not sure if he really saw her, of if everything that's happened merely is playing tricks on his mind.
    Ngeri stares open-mouthed at where the apparition disappeared from sight. One hand is half-raised towards her, the other holding his holy symbol in a white-knuckled grip. He begins to shake slightly as he glances at the others as they debate.

"D-did any of you...I mean, just now..." He gestures vaguely in the direction of the 'ghost' he saw.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

"Did any of us just now do what? All I see are graves. Not even proper graves, either. A foolish thing, to bury your dead so shallowly."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngei

Th cleric shakes his head, but continues to scan the graveyard intently for a reappearance of the ghost. "Nothing, I suppose. So shall we head out? The longer we stand here, the better chance we'll be seen."

9. - Top - End - #219

Ignoring Ngei's strange comments Cai says, "I agree that sneaking past is for the best. I'd also rather stay above ground. If you are all ready I'll lead. Be silent and we should sneak past without incident."
    Stealth:(1d20+18)[38]
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

10. - Top - End - #220

"Aye, lass, I'll do me best. Can't be said t'be tha quietest dwarf ever though." Eitri whispered to the group, as he follows Cai.

Spoiler
    Show

10 stealth check, in rolling thread.
    Sorry...

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

The group sets off quietly towards the cover of the alleys, but doesn't get far before something draws the attention of several eyes among the mob. Apparently Eitri managed to make himself less than perfectly quiet and invisible.

A small group of madmen leave the mob to approach the group, looking strangely eager... and insane, not surprisingly. They are all soaked in blood and carrying knives, but they don't seem to be attacking yet. One of them calls out, asking you to join them. Apparently they think you're out here to have "fun" too and would enjoy the "party". Perhaps you could fool them or something without drawing any more unwanted attention. Or strike first, while they least expect it, perhaps.

12. - Top - End - #222

"Oh, Shi-" Eitri exclaimed as he managed to knock over a nearby pile of rubbish.
    "Wha', oh righ'. I'm alrigh' lads. Got me some fun of myself over this way. Rather you didn' join me. If you ken." Eitri called out to the madmen.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

"I certainly intend to have a little fun with some 'friends' of mine if I can find them. Tell me, do you know where I might find a certain sailor by the name of Red Jack, or Father Córen, the old priest? Good old Jack and I were recently interrupted while...playing a little game." As he mentions Red Jack, Grimnir runs a finger lovingly along the gruesome carven claw at the end of his rod, and greenish flame sputters and hisses as his finger passes over the runes. Soon now. Soon...
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2010-02-17 at 03:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Cai melts into the shadow of a nearby building as the group approaches. She cursed silently at Eitri's bumbling but she's hardly surprised. It's hardly his fault he never needed to silently stalk targets. She knocks an arrow but holds her fire when she see's that the group hasn't attacked yet. She weighs the option of leaving them behind and slipping away on her own but they still could get out of this. Possibly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

One of the madmen chuckles at Grimnir "A priest, ey? We 'ave a priestess 'ere, dangles so nicely and screams even be'er than she used to sing. No old priest no thank ye, but if that's yer thing ye should try the temple across the bridge. They're 'aving a big party over there, I tell ya."

Another one, this one wearing a large and overly ostentatious hat, chimes in with a mad grin "I saw old Jack not long ago. I think he was having some fun of his own alright. Can't rightly say where he went with her, heh. But what business would a dwarf have with old Jack, eh? Old Jack eats dwarves, he doesn't play with them."

A third cackles maniacally, eyeing Eitri while licking the blood off the blade of his knife "Oh my... now my friend here has gone and made me hungry. Looks like your fun is right here, little roast."

A fourth calls out to the rest of the mob while the first three advance upon the two dwarves with a mad fire in their eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    The map here is pretty big, so it has a spoiler of its own, below.

The people in the mob are not "named" on the map, and are listed as one in the initiative below. Just refer to them by which square they are in. Only the madman leading them is named and acts on his own initiative.

Cáï has Combat Advantage against the mob until she makes her presence known (so on the first attack only).

Cáï, Ericr, Eitri and Ráslim get to act first.

Cáï: 25, 30/75 hp
    Ericr: 25, 99/102 hp
    Eitri: 24, 69/95 hp
    Ráslim: 22, 65/65 hp
    Mob:
    Ngeri: 19, 32/78 hp
    Madman:
    Grimnir: 14, 75/78 hp

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Deadly; 2010-02-18 at 10:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

"Enough."

Ericr strode forward as the mob made to menace his compatriots, fullblade in hand and black armour hard beneath his tabard.

"I will end you."

And with that he struck, his arms swinging the blade in an explosion of motion near the one he'd come against, not breaking stride once.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik

17. - Top - End - #227

Cai fires an arrow into the two closest brutes before nimbly climbing the building she had been hidden next to. Once on top she fires two more arrows at the other two brutes. "We can't stay here!" she calls out. A quick scan from the roof confirms her fears. The mob is large and she's already low on arrows. "Get into the back allays and let's head for the sewer."

Spoiler
    Show

Suprise
    Minor: Quarry nearest G9
    Standard: Twin Strike
    21 vs. G9 22 damage
    36 vs. G7 10 damage
    Move: Climb to G18 26
    Normal
    Move: I18
    Minor: Quarry nearest J9
    23 vs. J9 13 damage
    32 vs. L7 8 damage

Last edited by Emlyn; 2010-02-18 at 04:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

18. - Top - End - #228

Eitri

Eitri looked the mob member in the eyes, "I guess you mite be rite laddy." his hand raising his hammer, as he ran towards him, drawing another man towards him, inscribing a symbol of weakness in his direction, as he ran. His hammer covered in a shroud of force as he swung it about him before bringing it down upon the mobsman before him.

Spoiler
    Show

Move- to I10
    Minor-Aegis of Shielding on the mob in G9
    Standard- Booming Cudgel on the mob in J9
    Attack-(d20+15)[19](34) v Reflex
    Damage (On a hit)-(d6+10)[6](16)

Also, Initiative- (d20+6)[9]
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2010-02-18 at 04:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslim

Ignoring Cai's warning to fall back, Ráslim strides forward, closer to the mass of mad flesh. Their bloodlust and crazed aggression covers them like a cloak to his eyes. "I will not suffer you beasts to live!" he shouts as he shapes the increasingly more familiar mirror shapes around the outlying mob members. Not stopping there, he begins chanting dark words to raise the shadows around their feet to grip and attack their masters. With that exertion, he blinks out of existence, appearing deeper into the alleyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: To H10
    Standard: Maze of Mirrors centered on L2. Attacks vs will:
    K2-16
    L1-21
    M3-31
    On hit, they are immobilized and take a -5 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn, and grant CA to me and the first ally to attack as standard for an illusion power.
    Action point:Grasping shadows, centered on P3, expanding it with extend Spell to an Area Burst 2 power. Attacks vs Will.
    N1-24
    N4-24
    O2-34
    O4-34
    P2-20
    Q4-25
    R3-34
    Damage - 10 and all hit targets are slowed until the end of my next turn. Zone of shadows persist, slowing and dealing 5 damage to any creature that enters the area until the end of it's next turn. All hit targets grant CA to me and the first ally to attack as standard for an illusion power.
    Wayfarer's Action: Teleport to E15.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï fires at the two nearest mobsters. The first arrow misses by a bit, but the other strikes the man in the neck and fells him.

Ericr strides fowards and swings his mighty blade at the nearest mobster, cutting his wicked head from his body.

Eitri follows suit, bringing his hammer down upon the skull of another mobster. The man collapses in a heap from the blow.

Ráslim decides to go all out an decimate the mob, taking advantage of the fact that most of them are still bunched together nicely. With two mobsters firmly rooted in place by the mirrored trap, he conjures up a host of grasping and tearing shadows to rip the mobsters apart in a gory display of power.

Undeterred by their heavy losses, the remaining mobsters advance upon the group. Seeing what Ráslim just did they seem to decide to spread out a little more as they surround the group. Only two get close enough to attack immediately - and both miss.

Spoiler
    Show
    10 damage to G7 from Cáï, killing it.

13 damage to G9 from Ericr, killing it.

16 damage to J9 from Eitri, killing it.

10 damage to N1, N4, O2, O4, P2, Q4 and R3 from Ráslim, killing them. L1 and M3 are affected by the Maze, while K2 goes free.

Ngeri's turn

Cáï: 30/75 hp
    Ericr: 74/102 hp
    Eitri: 69/95 hp
    Ráslim: 65/65 hp
    Mob:
    Ngeri: 32/78 hp
    Madman:
    Grimnir: 75/78 hp

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231

Cai is stunned by the sheer destruction Ráslim has wrought on the enemies. Maybe we can win this. is all she thinks before she drops right back into the battle. She picks two more targets and fires at them.

Spoiler
    Show

move: k18
    minor: Quarry k13
    29 vs. k13 18 damage
    21 vs. H12 9 damage
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri points his finger at the man moving to flank Ericr and unleashes a blast of holy flame at the man.

Spoiler
    Show

Ericr gains 7 temp hp
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2010-02-20 at 11:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

The mobster laughs mockingly at Ngeri's aim, as the blast of flame misses him.

With a short sprint the madman leading the hellish mob strides across the battlefield to get within reach of the fun. Laughing maniacally and brandishing a dark, blood-stained dagger in one hand and a pair of shackles dangling from the other, he raises his arms as if to call down a vile wrath upon Cáï and Ráslim. The dark power overwhelms them both, grasping them as if to bind and strangle their souls.

Spoiler
    Show
    19 damage to Cáï and Ráslim from the madman. Both take ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends) and while they take this damage they can not use healing surges. You're going to take this damage at the beginning of your turn, so Cáï will be at 1 hp and Ráslim at 36 when your turn begins. And since you normally save at the end of your turn you can't use surges until after your turn (provided you save). You can still gain temporary hit points, though.

Grimnir, Cáï, Ericr, Eitri and Ráslim's turn. You probably should avoid targeting mobsters already targeted by those who act before you, if possible.

Cáï: 11/75 hp, ongoing 10 necrotic and can't use surges (save ends)
    Ericr: 74/102 hp
    Ráslim: 46/65 hp, ongoing 10 necrotic and can't use surges (save ends)
    Mob:
    Madman:
    Grimnir: 75/78 hp

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimnir sidles up next to Ericr, rods in hand. "Sorry about this. You're going to survive it just fine, which the girl with the bow won't if we don't finish off that bastard quickly."

Spoiler
    Show
    Immediate reaction to the Madman's spell: Life syphon. Recover 4 HP and +2 to my next attack roll.
    Move: Move to E9.
    Minor: Curse the mobster in G8.
    Standard: Your Glorious Sacrifice. 4 damage to Ericr. (1d20+17)[20] against the Madman's Fort, which includes the bonus from Life syphon. (3d8+4)[14] +4 Rods +1 Empowering Shadows, and ongoing 8.

25. - Top - End - #235

Eitri

Seeing the damage caused by the madman's powers, Eitri resolved to get over there and take him down. Turning back to the matters at hand, he swung his hammer wildly at the mob member blocking his way. He then dodged past and ran at the madman, his weapon glowing with the sigils inscribed upon it as he brought it down upon the madman in front of him with all his strength.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard- Booming Cudgel v Mod Member adjacent.
    (18 v AC)
    Move-To M12 (Provoking from the mobmember he was adjacent to, providing he isn't dead. Via J11, K11, L11)
    Minor-Aegies of shielding on Mob in K13
    ACTION POINT-Hammer of Sigils on Madman
    32 v AC, 34 damage if it hits, and it is marked by Eitri until the end of his next turn. If he attacks a foe that isn't Eitri he takes 5 force damage, and the attack deals 5 less damage.
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2010-02-22 at 05:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Grimnir stalks up behind Ericr to give the paladin a slight stab to fuel his dark power. While unfortunately the spell seemed less effective than Grimnir would have hoped, it was not completely wasteful.

Cáï staggers across the roof of the house as she tries to remain standing. Aiming her bow once again she brings down another one of the mobsters.

Ericr grumbles a bit at Grimnir's stab, particularly because it didn't seem to pay off that greatly. He stikes out swiftly and brings down the nearest mobster, before striding across the field to get closer to the madman. As he moves, one of the mobsters make a swift stab at him, but misses completely.

Eitri strikes out at the nearest mobster, but misses the creep. Ignoring that, the dwarf turns and moves towards the madman. As he does, the mobster strikes out at him but the knife scrapes harmlessly against Eitri's armor. Directing his attention at the madman, Eitri strikes out with great force, delivering a solid blow. The power of his runes spreads out as he delivers the blow, and bolsters Cáï just when she needed it the most.

Ráslim steps into the middle of the mob and raises his orb to spell doom upon the surrounding enemies. Space and time bends around him in a vortex, tearing at the mobsters and madman, and granting safe passage to his allies.

Two of the mobsters advance upon Grimnir, stabbing him. The two mobsters who were trapped in the maze of mirrors advance upon Eitri and Ericr.

Meanwhile, a strange wave passes through the area, like a sickening heartbeat of some great spirit. The mobsters who fell only moments ago stir and begin to rise with a collective moan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grimnir recovers 4 hp (though only 3 needed for full hp). 4 damage to Ericr and 9 damage to Madman from Grimnir.

10 damage to Cáï (ongoing). 18 damage to K13 from Cáï, killing it.

34 damage to madman from Eitri. Cáï saves against the ongoing damage.

10 damage to G8 from Ericr, killing it.

10 damage to Ráslim (ongoing). Critical Hit with Hammerfall Step for Ráslim. 20 damage to H12, J10, K8, N10 and the Madman. The mobsters die, while the madman is teleported 3 squares to O10. Eitri and Ericr are teleported so they flank the madman. Ráslim saves against the ongoing damage.

16 damage to Grimnir from the two mobsters.

The mobsters killed in the first round rises as undead. Marked with Z for zombie.

Ngeri's turn.

Cáï: 1/75 hp
    Ericr: 70/102 hp
    Ráslim: 36/65 hp
    Mob:
    Madman: Bloodied, marked by Eitri until end of next turn
    Grimnir: 62/78 hp

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait! I have a response to being stabbed!

Grimnir's eyes flash as the mobsters' knives come flashing towards him, and mist rises from the ground at his feet, encompassing them for a moment, pallid tendrils writhing and coiling into half-formed faces and grotesque maws full of wicked teeth that leave long gashes in their flesh.

Spoiler
    Show

Against the first mobster to attack me, Darkspiral Aura from the death of G8.
    (2d8)[9] necrotic damage as an immediate interrupt. With an additional 4 if my bonuses from my rods apply, which I'm not sure about.

IF that attack deals 12 or more damage, them against the second mobster Darkspiral Aura for (1d8)[4].

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

The cleric grumbles a curse as his flame goes awry. He rushes forward to help engage the rising dead. With a quick prayer to the Nightingale, he sends forth a blast of light that engulfs those around him, both friend and foe. His allies feel bolstered by the effect, while their enemies are burned by the holy light. Glancing over at Cai, Ngeri mutters another quick prayer of healing for her.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

As he is attacked, Grimnir unleashes a preemptive burst of dark, flaying tentacles to destroy one of his attackers before the mobster can even get a good stab at the warlock.

Ngeri moves past Grimnir to destroy the mobster and two zombies there, his holy light blasting and burning their wicked flesh. He then directs a much needed prayer towards Cáï on the roof.

As Cáï struggles to stay alive she spots something in the shadows behind the newly risen corpses. Sitting on the ground near the macabre torture poles of the madmen, a raven blacker than the very night stares back at her with its deep, sad eyes. She remembers it vividly from the vision. With a flutter of wings it takes off and sails through the air towards her, but is gone from sight the very same moment as if swallowed up by the darkness. Cáï wonders if what she saw was real or just a figment of her imagination, as the soothing light of Ngeri washes over her and mends her wounds.

The madman sidesteps away from his two flankers and reaches out towards Eitri as if to crush his very heart, dark blood dripping from his innumerable cuts. He then pulls his hand back in a swift motion while laughing darkly. A sudden and overwhelming cold spreads in Eitri's very bones, while the madman's wounds close themselves. "You have no hope! Embrace the rising darkness!" he cackles

Spoiler
    Show
    Grimnir: I can't find any mention of a second target for your Darkspiral Aura, only that you may also weaken the target if the damage is above 12. Also, did you have 2 points to spend? If not the damage should only be 1d8. Not that it matters against a minion, I was just wondering.

Grimnir retroactively kills D8, and thus took only 8 damage.

Ngeri: Since you didn't specify where you move or anything, I moved you to F10.

7 damage to F8, G7 and G9 from Ngeri, killing them. Grimnir gains +2 attacks until the end of Ngeri's next turn.

Cáï spends a healing surge and regains 34 hp.

28 necrotic damage to Eitri, and he is stunned until the end of the Madman's next turn. The madman heals 15 points.

Grimnir, Cáï, Ericr, Eitri and Ráslim's turn. Although Eitri probably can't do anything this round, being stunned.

Cáï: 35/75 hp
    Ericr: 70/102 hp
    Eitri: 41/95 hp, stunned til end of Madman's turn
    Ráslim: 36/65 hp
    Mob:
    Madman: Wounded
    Grimnir: 70/78 hp, +2 attacks til end of Ngeri's turn

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Deadly; 2010-02-26 at 11:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

"Embrace the void." Ericr's retort was full of cold contempt and a rock-bottom conviction. He swung his right wrist toward the demagogue, the blessed tassel of nightengale feathers swaying as he called upon his goddess. She might be held at bay in this accursed place, but he fought in her name and would be known thereby.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik