New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sense Undead Feat [P.E.A.C.H.]

Hello Playgorunders, a player of mine wanted to make a Cleric focused on combating the undead, and liked the idea of a feat that would allow her to sense the presence of undead (passively) in a small radius around her and hopefully give her some bonuses against them. So, please help me to come up with and balance such a feat. Additionally, if a similar feat already exists, please let me know. My searches did not produce anything.

Sense Undead
    Prerequisites: Turn undead ability, Knowledge(religion) 4 ranks
    Benefit: You are continually aware of the presence or absence of undead in a 60-foot radius. This sense behaves just like the Detect Undead spell, except that it senses a sphere around you and only indicates the presence or absence of undead in the area, as the 1st round of the spell.

Additionally, you gain a +2 bonus your turning damage when turning undead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Sense Undead Feat [P.E.A.C.H.]

There is a Lifesense feat in Libris Mortis, which is for undeads looking for living stuff. You could tweak over that a bit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks for the tip ozgun92, but my player really wanted to be able to sense them when they were out of LoS or through a thin wall. I like that Lifesense feat though, I may have to use that the next time I want to plunge my players into a dark cave.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Nothing wrong with it for your campaign.

For balance issues have you considered putting a duration on it and having you spend a use of Turn (or Rebuke) Undead for lets say minute/lvl or hour/lvl? Depending on how you like your spells to work in your world.

Reference Complete Warrior to see monk feats that make you spend a stunning fist attempt.

Ex.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Undead
    Prerequisites: Turn undead ability, Knowledge(religion) 4 ranks
    Benefit: You can spend one of your Turn Undead attempts for the day to become aware of the presence or absence of undead in a 60-foot radius for one (minute or hour) per class lvl. This sense behaves just like the Detect Undead spell, except that it senses a sphere around you and only indicates the presence or absence of undead in the area, as the 1st round of the spell.
    I'm White/Blue
    ( ) ( ) ( ) <- Those are my eggs

Did I forget anything?