New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Why psionics solves everything

It was a big point in the comic that this probably isn't a double bluff. If the gate was there, they'd have found it already. If it wasn't there, well, they'd have confirmation of it by only seeing anything gate relevant in those two instances above (Roy blowing up, Girard placing the trap), but get nothing beyond that.

Sorry, I'm working with the assumption that the gate isn't there. If it is then the power works, and I'll gladly admit I didn't see it coming.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2010-01-03 at 12:49 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Where are you getting this stuff?

He's involved with hiding something that can destroy the world. There is a STRONG emotional state involved.

Also, never does it say you can only sense 'one' emotion.

Also if Girard is mind blanked its going to fail, something he should be doing.
    I looked up Mind Blank. It does nothing.

"This power protects against powers with the mind-affecting or scrying descriptors."

Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions is neither mind-affecting nor scrying. Nor are you reading a mind. You are basically observing tracks in the sand.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    You mean: "The conceal seed can also be used to block divination spells, spell-like effects, and epic spells developed using the reveal seed" doesn't apply?
    Maybe he means the spell duration? 200 minutes?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

You mean: "The conceal seed can also be used to block divination spells, spell-like effects, and epic spells developed using the reveal seed" doesn't apply?
    The conceal seed has to be directed at a person or object. Sensitivity is not directed at ANYONE.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

If anything, wouldn't Hypercognition and Metafaculty be the key to solving this? They seem all-encompassing enough to cover it.

Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions would tell you if it was there, within 30ish feat of where you cast it, or not. Unless you get a reading on that spot though, you're going to have to comb the whole desert with it.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2010-01-03 at 12:57 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post

"This power protects against powers with the mind-affecting or scrying descriptors."
    Except Mind Blank also: "The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts."

Quote Originally Posted by silversaraph View Post
    Maybe he means the spell duration? 200 minutes?
    Perhaps, but please note that you can modify those parameters.

The conceal seed has to be directed at a person or object. Sensitivity is not directed at ANYONE.
    See above.
    Last edited by Pyron; 2010-01-03 at 12:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

#1. The power is Seer-only. Not only would not every psion know of the power, only one type of psion could even manifest it regardless of whether they knew of its existence.
    Expanded Knowledge says hi.

Also, there's a spell that does exactly the same thing. You'll note that nobody in the story uses that either, for exactly the same reason - it would solve the plot.

However, assuming the Giant did have Girard prepare defenses against Legend Lore, they would work against the psionic equivalent just as easily.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

He's involved with hiding something that can destroy the world. There is a STRONG emotional state involved.

Also, never does it say you can only sense 'one' emotion.
    The types of events most likely to leave psychic impressions are those that elicited strong emotions: battles and betrayals, marriages and murders, births and great pain, or any other event where one emotion dominates.
    Its implied that one emotion events are what leaves impressions. Also note that likely means that any event might just be missed. And when Girard was hiding the gate he was simply casting a bunch of spells. Or maybe a really big spell. Guess what though? The order of the stick knows Girard has worked magic there because of the trap laid for Soon. So the order of the stick should get a vision of Girard working magic regardless of the existance of the gate.

Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions is neither mind-affecting nor scrying. Nor are you reading a mind. You are basically observing tracks in the sand.
    Well for starters you looked up the psionic mind blank, which Girard doesn't have. He has the spell version.
    The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.
    Mind blank protects against any spell trying to get information about Girard. Now you might try to argue that the spell does not target Girard, and therefore mind blank does not protect him, but instead the spell targets the sand. Although mind blank says nothing about requiring one to be the target of the spell. Regarldess this still creates two problems.
    One: The sand must therefore have gotten the emotional information off of Girard and friends at some point. Except when they go into battle they will have mind blank up unless they want to get mind controlled. Which means the sand can get no information and the psionic power skips over the battle.
    Two: This much bigger problem is that the sand is in a desert and doesn't stay in one place.

Finally a rather simple method of protecting against this spell is create a few emotional events. And due to spells like... crushing despair thats easy. Or one could call a few dozen angry demons at that spot.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2010-01-03 at 02:27 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #39

I think in this world psionics is like the tooth faerie to us-- everyone has heard about it, but people assume it doesn't actually exist (it's been used in bedtime stories!)
    The Little Engine that Could. Engines don't exists?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    The Little Engine that Could. Engines don't exists?
    Not talking ones, at least... wait.. did it talk? I don't remember.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    Not talking ones, at least... wait.. did it talk? I don't remember.
    Of course it did. It said "I think I can, I think I can".

Thus leading to the psionics-based joke in the strip.

But on the topic of the thread, I think a more accurate title would be "In a campaign that I (the OP) was running, psionics would solve everything."

Which is fair. However, there are too many unknown factors regarding the OOTS world to make such a blanket generalization regarding its effectiveness in solving the current problem.
    Oderint Dum M&M:
    Let them hate, so long as they bring me candy.

I've role played paladins that were a lot like Miko. And I've role played paladins that were more like O-Chul. You know the funny thing? I had about as much fun with both.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post

Perhaps, but please note that you can modify those parameters

Except that it would mean the spell had a dc of [85, assuming you're making the duration permanent (17 times five). Not only would it be practically impossible to cast, it would cost 765,000 gp, 30,600 exp, and take 13 days to develop.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Actually as a DM there is a single base problem that would thwart your whole idea....
    IF.... roy had the ability he wouldnt be able to use it there effectively.
    1. the major problem is sand.( if you used that ability there you could spend years going through all the impressions before getting to one that was even partially usable. that sand has blown and moved all over the desert traveling perhaps thousands of miles. so any psy impressions could varitably be from millions of locations. the ability isnt going to be able to map all of that.
    any of that sand that has been close enough to a major event in history is going to have some level of an impression on it. It would be garbled at best.

The vision of the event is dreamlike and shadowy. You do not gain special knowledge of those involved in the vision, though you might be able to read large banners or other writing if they are in your language.

i don't think there are going to be any large banners at the entrance to the gate ....

I personally think you are trying to over extend the power of a psionist. haveing played one on table top alot myself your idea just seems like a power gamers attempt to overstep the nature of the ability itself.
    Girard my have been highly emotional at the time of the creation of the trap. but also dont forget concentration and being centered are a paramount part of a casters abilities. so the actual creation of the other said illusions to protect the gate where likely done at a time when G was very calm.

I'm not saying it is a complete impossibility. just that the real chance of that ability providing some thing useful would likely take a perfect roll of the dice.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Except that it would mean the spell had a dc of [85, assuming you're making the duration permanent (17 times five). Not only would it be practically impossible to cast, it would cost 765,000 gp, 30,600 exp, and take 13 days to develop.
    I don't see how an Epic Spell with a DC 85* would be impossible in light of spells like Famlicide and Cloister. Even Xykon's Superb Dispelling has a DC of 69 (if we remove the mitigating damage factor).

Furthermore, there are mitigating factors to the spell by increasing the casting time and adding an XP burn. This will reduce the Final Spellcraft DC. Considering the nature of this type spell, it's not unreasonable to give it a casting time of (for example) 65 days and burn 5,000 xp.

* While, I have not crunched the final DC but I imagine this sort of spell would have an even higher DC.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

actually you sensitivity to psychic impressions, does nothing that a simple detect magic wouldnt do, magic and psionics are (in 99% of the storytellers that i know) equal, and stuff that foils magic works on psionics and vice versa. since clearvoiance powers are nothing more then the psionic equal of divination spells, anything that counters divinations counters your power too.

this is one reason i normally ban psionics from my campaigns, the people who want to use them normally consider them to be unbeatable becouse its not magic...