New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default {3.5e} Drunken Master

Yes, I'm going there!

I think Drunken Master is a fun and awesome PrC, if done right.

Here's my concept:

Swordsage X/ Monk 1/Shadow Sun Ninja Y/Drunken Master Z

focus him on Unarmed Strike and unleash Drunken Boxing.
    Last edited by AirGuitarGod32; 2010-01-03 at 09:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: {3.5e} Drunken Master

Needs more Blue Raja fork-hucking.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

3. - Top - End - #3

Forgive, I'm not familiar with Drunken Master, but why the level of Monk? Is Flurry a Prerequisite?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

4. - Top - End - #4

I think you need Flurry of Blows so Swordsage doesn't do it...

I'm pretty sure you basically need monk levels

Edit: Oh I see you edited yourself...

Edit2: Well since thats already been covered lets see what else I can add. Hmmm well there is the fun of wielding 100ft ladders and gaining 100ft reach...
    Ummm there is also using that metal from BoED that lets you reforge stuff made of it. Then make a masterwork table leg out of it. Now you have an enchanteable improvised weapon that even though it breaks on a nat 1 can just be reforged in one round...
    Last edited by Xenogears; 2010-01-03 at 09:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

this idea brings up a question: Is it possible to optimize Drunken Master? I mean, this version does slightly more damage on average, but is nowhere near optimized. If played, it should be with zero magic (not including magic items such as Monk's Belt or Amulet of Natural Weapons) Thats how this guy works. Kinda

6. - Top - End - #6

Obviously take Superior Unarmed Strike, to boost your Unarmed Strikes even more. Sure you knew that already.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw this thread less than 5 minutes after seeing Legend of the Drunken Master on Encore, so now I want to play one too!
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

8. - Top - End - #8

You could make a valid argument for the Exotic Weapon Master's weapon flurry ability to count as flurry of blows. This way you get to cut out monk entirely and use superior unarmed strike to get the unarmed damage of a small monk of your level instead of as a lvl 5 monk like you would with a monk dip...

9. - Top - End - #9

Try to convince your DM to let you use the 3.0 Drunken Master! It's so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Granted, I see the point of Exotic Weapon Master, but considering its focused on Exotic Weaponry (unless one can argue a pair of Scorpion Kamas, which is a streach to say the least) I personally wouldn't allow it.

Again, that said, I feel as if Drunken Master has serious damage potential. Some classes, however are basically needed for this to be dangerous. Drunken Master is great until 10th, which its Fire Breath Weapon is a stretch to say the least. That said, Drunken Master up into 9th is a damage-dealing machine.

And my DM is apparently full of himself, by putting a LE Warforged Monk 6/Drunken Master 9 in the path of a monk/monk-type PC

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitarGod32 View Post
    Granted, I see the point of Exotic Weapon Master, but considering its focused on Exotic Weaponry (unless one can argue a pair of Scorpion Kamas, which is a streach to say the least) I personally wouldn't allow it.

Again, that said, I feel as if Drunken Master has serious damage potential. Some classes, however are basically needed for this to be dangerous. Drunken Master is great until 10th, which its Fire Breath Weapon is a stretch to say the least. That said, Drunken Master up into 9th is a damage-dealing machine.

And my DM is apparently full of himself, by putting a LE Warforged Monk 6/Drunken Master 9 in the path of a monk/monk-type PC
    Well yeah it isn't quite a fit but its the best bet to get rid of monk levels. With them superior unarmed strike is basically pointless...

Meh either way. I feel the real fun of the class is in charging in funky ways and beating people with chair legs. Or 100 foot ladders for a lockdown build...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

There's was some kind of charging build using Drunken Master and feats from Fiendish Codex. Sorry I can't help more.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Rereading the flavor text of Drunken Master, I had a terrifying revelation: Half-Orc Drunken Master.

Granted, it uses no Maneuvers, but Rage makes him deadly. Using the version from Sword and Fist, here's the build:

Barbarian 7/Drunken Master 9/Frostrager 4

focus on Unarmed Strike, Rage, and grab yourself a Monk's Belt and an Unbreakable Bottle of Infinite Alcohol. Open opponent's mouth, insert right arm.

14. - Top - End - #14

Rereading the flavor text of Drunken Master, I had a terrifying revelation: Half-Orc Drunken Master.

Granted, it uses no Maneuvers, but Rage makes him deadly. Using the version from Sword and Fist, here's the build:

Barbarian 7/Drunken Master 9/Frostrager 4

focus on Unarmed Strike, Rage, and grab yourself a Monk's Belt and an Unbreakable Bottle of Infinite Alcohol. Open opponent's mouth, insert right arm.
    Don't you still need flurry or is the 3.0 version different? Also go for bear warrior. Drunken bears doing Flying Kicks? Hell yeah!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    Don't you still need flurry or is the 3.0 version different? Also go for bear warrior. Drunken bears doing Flying Kicks? Hell yeah!
    allow me to DIRECTLY copy the prereq's of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Sword and Fist

Base Attack Bonus: +4.
    Base Unarmed Attack Bonus: +4.
    Feats: Great Fortitude, Dodge.
    Tumble: 6 ranks.
    Other: Evasion ability, must be chosen by existing
    drunken masters and survive night of revelry among
    them without being incarcerated, poisoned, or
    extraordinarily embarrassed
    And the Bear Warrior almost screams Drunken Panda. I only wish one could do that...
    Last edited by AirGuitarGod32; 2010-01-03 at 10:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

allow me to DIRECTLY copy the prereq's of it:

And the Bear Warrior almost screams Drunken Panda. I only wish one could do that...
    Barbarians do not have evasion, either. Not even in 3.0, IIRC.

Also, a pure barbarian does not get the requisite ranks in Tumble until level 9.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2010-01-03 at 10:29 PM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

17. - Top - End - #17

allow me to DIRECTLY copy the prereq's of it:And the Bear Warrior almost screams Drunken Panda. I only wish one could do that...
    Much better pre-reqs there. Note to self: use 3.0 version unless already monk.

Well you might wanna talk to the DM about letting you refluff the bear forms as Panda's. I was thinking of that too actually...

If you can swing Lion Totem Barb for the Pounce you could do a giant drunken panda doing a running charge then jumping above you and kicking you three or four times in the face before landing...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Okay, so I need evasion. How to get that without a too-deep monk dip...

and as for the Lion Totem's "Angry Drunk Pouncing Panda 'O Death", this is almost comical. no sane DM could allow this without some liberal trouser soiling from the laughter.

19. - Top - End - #19

and as for the Lion Totem's "Angry Drunk Pouncing Panda 'O Death", this is almost comical. no sane DM could allow this without some liberal trouser soiling from the laughter.
    Easiest was is a two level rogue dip. Sneak attack can be ignored but that gives you extra skill points and tumble as a class skill. Also trapfinding in a pinch.

Yeah I never take things seriously so that is exactly the kind of character/NPC I would make.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ring of Evasion would work with a bit of DM generosity, although it is kind of vulnerable...
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    Easiest was is a two level rogue dip. Sneak attack can be ignored but that gives you extra skill points and tumble as a class skill. Also trapfinding in a pinch.

Yeah I never take things seriously so that is exactly the kind of character/NPC I would make.
    wouldn' a 2 level dip into Feat rogue be a worthwhile endeavor? Use the free feat for Power Attack (hello bear warrior), it drops Sneak Attack like a redheaded retard baby, and makes the SP boost. Brilliant Xeno! Brilliant!

22. - Top - End - #22

wouldn' a 2 level dip into Feat rogue be a worthwhile endeavor? Use the free feat for Power Attack (hello bear warrior), it drops Sneak Attack like a redheaded retard baby, and makes the SP boost. Brilliant Xeno! Brilliant!
    Oh yeah. Forgot about Feat Rogue. Thats even better...

Edit: Oh and since Dodge sucks so bad you should get one of the other feats that say they count as dodge for Pre-Reqs. One of them is in Tome of Battle so since you already listed swordsage at the beggining of this thread that might work. Not sure how better it is though.
    Last edited by Xenogears; 2010-01-03 at 10:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

So he looks like this:

Half-Orc or Orc

Lion Totem Barbarian 7/ Feat Rogue 2/Drunken Master 9/Bear Warrior 2

Feats: Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, Flying Kick, Snap Kick, Extend Rage, Great Fortitude, Murky-Eyed, Dodge

All Hail the Drunken One-Eyed Panda of Pain

24. - Top - End - #24

So he looks like this:

Half-Orc or Orc

Lion Totem Barbarian 7/ Feat Rogue 2/Drunken Master 9/Bear Warrior 2

Feats: Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, Flying Kick, Snap Kick, Extend Rage, Great Fortitude, Murky-Eyed, Dodge

All Hail the Drunken One-Eyed Panda of Pain
    Don't forget an eye patch and a cigar to chomp on...

also I edited my last post in regards to the dodge feat sucking.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The thing with using the Sword & Fist version is:

Base Unarmed Attack Bonus:
    Simply does not exist in 3.5.
    No class has one, so no character can qualify.
    It is not just "your BAB but unarmed", it is a separate, specific, feature. If it were not, it would not be listed separately from Base Attack Bonus.
    As that feature only existed with the 3E monk, you still would not qualify for the class just by having a BAB +4.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Well, I can't take Desert Wind Dodge...

So I'll suffer Dodge as a nearly useless feat. just a wasted endeavor. ah well. and I'll take the eyepatch. no cigar. He's a drunken warrior, not some 1920's Gangster...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

The way I see it, the first 4 levels of Drunken Master provide everything that's really appealing about the class.

One or two levels Monk, four levels Drunken Master and the rest in a melee powerhouse class (pretty much anything with decent BA, and maneuvers/manifesting/spellcasting/soulbinding/pactmaking/bonus damage) can make a workable build with a few fun tricks.

For best results, mix with ladders and an AoO-based ability set.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    The thing with using the Sword & Fist version is:

It is not just "your BAB but unarmed", it is a separate, specific, feature. If it were not, it would not be listed separately from Base Attack Bonus.
    As that feature only existed with the 3E monk, you still would not qualify for the class just by having a BAB +4.
    DM just said its waived.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    But this isn't a theoetical discussion that needs to be determined by RAW and RAW alone. AirGuitarGod can go find his DM and ask about that.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    The way I see it, the first 4 levels of Drunken Master provide everything that's really appealing about the class.

One or two levels Monk, four levels Drunken Master and the rest in a melee powerhouse class (pretty much anything with decent BA, and maneuvers/manifesting/spellcasting/soulbinding/pactmaking/bonus damage) can make a workable build with a few fun tricks.

But if he likes the fluff of the class he might wanna maximize the drinking potential even if it is not as powerful as other options. Oh and as amusing as laddar combat is you seem to have failed to see the awesomeness of his character...
    Last edited by Xenogears; 2010-01-03 at 11:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post

so drunken rage and unarmed strike die up to d12's, a speed boost, a grapple boost, usability of alcohol as a potion, and a flying headbutt aren't appealing?