New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Fallout (4E D20)

Hi,

I want to make a Fallout themed D&D game using the 4E rules. I was hoping I could get some tips, help, resources, etc.

So far, most of what I have done is just reskinned the base races. Devas are Ghouls, Goliaths are SuperMutants, Warforged are Robots. I think those will be the only races I'm allowing. Plus Humans.

I really need inspiration and resources for the classes. There are numerous rules out there for modern weaponry already so I'll just find some that work.

On the theme, it will be Fallout with the serial numbers filed off. Sorry Pip-Boy! I really like the whole post-apocalyptic survival horror theme where the PCs will just be survivors trying to make their way through marauders, slavers, mutants, radiation, and everything else. I love the grittiness of the post-apocalyptic world. How when it comes down to survival, it's not about right or wrong; it's about you live or die - end of story.
    Most of the standard D&D monsters fit well with this with simple tweaks to their description.
    Technology is just essentially skinned magic and magic items. A flaming crossbow = laser pistol kinda deal. Maybe magical healing would be translated as nanites from a medical drone?

Anyway, any and all ideas and resources you can point me to would be greatly appreciated! especially in the way of classes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout (4E D20)

I'd honestly say wait for the new Gamma World setting coming out in a few months. Otherwise, I'd say just use fighters, rogues and warlords to represent classes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Is that using the 4E rules set?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'd say allow any race/class combinations, but with the following modifications:

Most races are just refluffed humans. Ex. an "elven ranger" would just be a human with +2 Dex and +2 Wis who can reroll an attack, but doesn't get the same versatility as other humans. Obviously stuff like the races you mention would fit fine, though I'm confused as why Devas are Ghouls. Wouldn't Shifters be more appropriate?

As far as classes, I'd say allow anything that can the players can justify. I'm playing in a technological game as well where the wizard becomes an engineer and the sorcerer becomes a grenadier with all the powers appropriately refluffed and ammunition kind of hand-waved. The Seeker can be refluffed to a sniper as well. I'm playing a Warforged Warden which works well as a transformer.

Finally, replace "residuum" with "engineering components" and you're golden.