New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Xavier's Academy for the Gifted [IC]

Excerpt from Volo's Guide to Waterdeep:

Xavier's Academy for the Gifted (Castle Ward, C72)

Over the past few years the Xavier Academy for the Gifted has become a prominent center of private education in Waterdeep. It can be reached by means of the Cliffride, a steep, treacherous gravel track that runs along the western edge of Mount Waterdeep's northern spur and is constantly exposed to the sea winds and spray of the ocean below. A more pleasant path passes through Mount Melody Walk, a continual flame-lit tunnel dug through Mount Waterdeeps' northern spur and staffed by Xavier's private guards at all times.

---

The world's first encounter with spellfire left a burning memory in those who were there. Though only a generation has passed, no one knows who the mutant was, only remembering what happened. When a band of githyanki raiders attacked the Open Lord and his entourage, a long figure emerged from the shadows to fight the gith corsairs. Throwing blasts of silver fire that clung to the gith he drew their attention away from the Open Lord and took to the sky. They followed and closed on him, surrounding him with their blades and hammering him with their psionics. Before any could fly up to render him assistance, the sky flashed brighter than the sun and an expanding wave of silver energy burst out from within the circle of gith. The raiders were completely obliterated, leaving not even a handful of dust, and no trace of the lone warrior was ever found.

In the years that passed other mutants came forward, or discovered their powers and hid their true nature. The Zhentarim have used the mutants as a galvanizing force, pushing the public to fear them and strike out against them. A few Lords of Waterdeep have taken anti-mutant positions within the politics of the city, while the little known Church of Hoar has gained prominence by extracting vengeance on those who unduly harm mutants.

Less than a decade ago a powerful mage named Charles Xavier bought the old mansion on the northern spur of Mount Waterdeep. He transformed it into a private academy, searching out and inviting all mutants to live and learn there. He seeks to find a peaceful balance for mutants in the world, despite the fear and hate that many people feel against them. A few of his most powerful students make up the group known as the X-Men. They strive to protect their city, mutants and regular folk alike.

---

The grounds of Xavier's Academy, 2nd day of Flamerule

The open balcony that runs along the third story of the mansion looks out over the city of Waterdeep. Far below the streets bustle with energy in the mid-morning. The sea breeze carries the salt spary over the wall and cools the mansion from the early Flamerule sun.

The open veranda leads to a large and spacious office, with many deep sofa's and chairs. A wooden desk rests in one corner while an empty hearth occupies one whole wall. A bald, older man sits in a chair made out of glowing force that hovers an inch above the floor. Seated on the couch is a young human girl, though her appearance shows her spellfire nature for all to see. Her skin is a constantly shifting coruscate of colorful scales, like that of a dragon. Her fingers end in claws, and a prehensile tail flicks about at her feet.

She looks up, startled, as you walk in. Professor Xavier says, "Don't be afraid Leyanda. These are my best students. I'm sure they can help you."
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Xavier's Academy for the Gifted [IC]

Victiln is the first to enter the room. He received a query from the professor just a few minutes before, and had dropped his studies to make an appearance. As he walks in, his eyes sweep the familiar room and land on the woman called "Leyanda." He nods to her.

Young girl, draconic blood of some kind, although it appears as though spellfire is at work. The color-shifting scales are a dead giveaway. I wonder if she was born with them, as I was. A tail as well; must be nice, like a third hand. Not altogether unattractive either.

Victiln smiles to her in what he hopes is a reassuring way. She's obviously upset about something; nervous too. He shifts his gaze to Xavier so as not to appear to stare as he finishes entering.

You asked to see us Professor Xavier?

Victiln had shown up first, but the others were right behind him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Fleet enters the room at whats appears to be a full run, accompanied by a gust of salty morning air, but stops on a dime a few paces from their chairs. He grasps his fist and bows in salutation.

"Dawn bless you, fellow Silverling. I am Fleet,"

He introduces himself, his voice calm and pleasant, if a little formal. Wearing only the taught fabrics of an ascetic and rippling with wiry muscle, the bald speedster is far from your typical gnome.

"Professor Xavier is right, of course; you are welcome here, and the school is great for getting to know yourself and your abilities inside and out."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Wandering in a few seconds after Fleet, Bahzell still manages to catch the tail end of the gnomes words. His clothing is simple, though well made.His most striking feature is his size. He's either the tallest dwarf or one of the shortest humans you've ever seen.

And if you truly have reason to fear, know that this place is safe. Bahzell is my name, Lady. If you don't mind me prying, what do you fear?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shard

Shard walks in slowly, twirling a small bone shard between the fingers of his left hand from one end to the other and back again but it is clear he is slightly out breath, as if he ran full speed to avoid being late, but slowed up to make a calm entrance.

Upon seeing the girl, he grabs the shard and absorbs it through his palm. He nods in acknowledgement to the other students then bows slightly to the new arrival. Shard, at your service, if I can help.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

"Ah, welcome. Please, sit down. I'd like to introduce my new friend, Leyanda." Professor Xavier says, turning to you all. The girl glances at Victiln and stares for a moment, then her scales turn a bright red before flashing again as she turns away. "Leyanda has come to our school this morning with some very important news. Please dear, tell them what you told me."

The dragon girl shifts in her seat, tail flicking back and forth. "Well...I didn't know where else to go. I didn't really know what she was doing with them, honest! Everyone else acted like they knew and didn't care....so I snuck in after her last night and watched em." Her scales turn a deep blue. "She was hurting them! I..I don't know how...but when it was over she was stronger, and they....they were dead." She says, her tail coiled around her leg.

"It's okay Leyanda." Professor Xavier says. "It's not your fault." He turns towards you all. "Apparently Kyisa, leader of the Forgotten Ones, has been kidnapping arcanists and draining their power in some kind of sacrificial ceremony." He nods towards the dragon girl, her scales shifting from ivory to yellow. "Leyanda lived with them, for a time."

"But I won't go back! I didn't want to hurt people!" The dragon girl cries, turning red again. "I had no where else to go..." She says, voice soft.

Spoiler
    Show

For anyone who has had contact with the Forgotten Ones: Kyisa Thunderclap is a conniving, thieving, spellfire wracked human barbarian. Her actions display her vile nature, and her mutation appears to allow her to absorb magic and enhance her own body with it.

Everyone: While exact numbers are hard to pin down, there are estimated to be somewhere between 30 and 40 spellfire mutants living in Skullport as part of the Forgotten Ones, all ranging in power from very weak to some nearly as strong as Kyisa.
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Don't worry, no one blames you. And if you truly have no place to go, you could find a place here. Meanwhile, we can look into this, and perhaps even put a stop to it. That is what you intend, correct Professor?
    At this last part Bahzell looks up, at Professor Xavier, unconsciously clenching his fist.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Thoughts whirl thought Victiln's head at dizzying speeds as he tries to recall all that he's ever read about Kyisa Thunderclap and Forgotten Ones. Being a recently-formed group, at least from the perspective of historians, not much has been definitively collected in volumes. Most of what Victiln recalls are things that he's heard about he Forgotten Ones. He also recalls several clippings from anti-mutant propaganda which justify their odious agendas with the claim that all mutants are dangerous, based off the acts of a few crazed ones.

It is understandable how Leyanda would have gotten caught up with them. Being a group of physically "deformed" mutants, it would have seemed a safe haven among peers for her. The spellfire mutation on her is obvious, and the world as it stands is not kind to mutants in general.

Some of us are blessed, Victiln muses solemnly, to have mutations that are so easy to hide.

It's alright, Leyanda Victiln says, trying to sound comforting, most people aren't very kind to mutants, are they?. It's only natural that you'd want to be with others like yourself.

Victiln prays he isn't crossing the line; some mutants get very touchy when you talk about their "gift," "curse," or "mutation."

You don't have to go back to them. Like Bahzell said, Professor Xavier is most kind in the running of this school; I'm sure that you will be most welcome here if you wish to stay.

Victiln steals a quick glance at Xavier. Victiln can think of no reason for the professor to deny Leyanda a place at the Academy, permanent or temporary, but he does feel a little out of place offering a woman he just met lodging on his mentor's behalf.

But the professor said that she needed our help, not his. They want us to take action of some kind, don't they?

As the conversation continues, Victiln realizes belatedly that he's forgotten to introduce himself, and he's the only one in the room who hasn't; nobody's even addressed him by name! It's his turn to go a little red about the edges of his scales. Thankfully, it's not as noticeable. At least, he hopes not.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case it's relevant, Victiln will run a few quick Knowledge checks on Kyisa Thunderclap and Forgotten Ones.

(1d20+16)[29] - arcana
    (1d20+16)[32] - geography
    (1d20+16)[21] - history
    (1d20+16)[35] - local
    (1d20+16)[21] - nature
    (1d20+16)[19] - nobility and royalty
    (1d20+16)[28] - religion
    (1d20+16)[18] - the plains

Feel free to ignore this if there's nothing more to be gleaned than what is public knowledge (I.E., the first post).
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-08 at 12:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Nell hates mornings about as much as she hates anything else which, as she has demonstrated to the patience of everyone around her, is quite a long list. The doors to Xavier's office stays open; to the right of it a thin, pale girl with a large head of black hair leans against the wall, something not unlike a bisected cloak draped limply over her shoulders. She's listening to the others, though unwilling to walk in that 'cramped' confining area with so many people (and the rays of the sun) already in it. She hates sharing too.

She does suffer a looksee into the room, though, eyes settling on the dragon girl for a moment without much reaction or shock and then a longer look towards Xavier himself. She wants him to get to the point as she goes back to pouting against the doorframe, assuming that her patron will be happy to fill everyone in on what they're to do.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Fleet is speechless after hearing the girl's story. His silence and stillness are the manifestations of a flux of turbulent emotions welling up inside him, though his face betrays nothing. He feels pity for the girl, but most of all intense anger towards this soul-sucking Kyisa creature, who could use her gifts in such a destructive manner.

Taking a deep breath, he releases the anger and hatred and calms himself once more. He looks to the Professor and his comrades, finding solidarity in their similar sense of duty.

"Leyanda, this is an insult to our kind, and an abomination to all upon which the light shines. Rest safely here, for your escape will not have been in vain."

The hunt is on.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

A plain-looking Chondathan woman with chin-length dark blonde hair and pale green eyes quickly runs up the hall and stops beside Nell at the doorway. Alloy nods to the pale girl before looking into the room. "Sorry I'm late, Professor! Gang!" she says to those gathered, a large smile on her lips. "Join the party, Nell!" she whispers with a wink as she steps through the threshold into the office. No sound of metal comes from her, though she clearly wears a rapier on her hip and a dark metal chain shirt can be seen beneath her dark purple tunic. A dark, almost tarnished-looking silver pendant hung openly upon her chest. A closer inspection revealed it to be a gloved hand holding a coin upon which was a two-faced head. "I'm Alloy," she said to the dragon-girl while holding out a friendly, dark-purple-gloved hand.
    Last edited by Allomancer; 2010-01-08 at 02:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The Professor nods at Victiln. "Of course." He turns to Leyanda. "We accept everyone here that wants to live in peace."

Leyana glances at the pendant Alloy wears and then smiles back, taking her hand and shaking it. The girls scales shuffle through a prism of colors. "I'm Leyanda. Professor Xavier said I can stay here with you all."

He smiles and then half-closes his eyes for a moment before opening them and turning towards the doorway. "Ah, Nell. How thoughtless of me. Please, come in." He says, glancing towards the open windows to the balcony. The curtains that were tied up in the corners untie themselves and slowly unfold, halfway covering the windows. The room dims a little, as if standing in the shade of a great tree, and beings to cool a little from the summer heat.

He turns to regard you all again. "It warms my heart to hear you speak out against these injustices. I begin to think maybe this school is teaching something after all." He says with a smile and wink to Leyanda. "But I would not normally ask this of you, my students, except for the nature of who is involved." He says. "If the Watch are the ones to discover and put a stop to Kyisa, I fear the repercussions that could ensure against our kind." He pauses a moment. "Or what would happen if the Zhentarim found out. We must find Kyisa first and put a stop to this."

He floats his chair over to behind his desk. "I had hoped this day would not come so soon...but I fear that these are dangerous times we live in." He reaches into a drawer in his desk and pulls out a small wooden box. Placing it on his lap he floats back over. He opens the lid and takes out a small brooch in the shape of an X. It fits in the palm of his hand and appears to be made out of some unique, shining metal. "Wear this, and with it you may speak with myself or any other that wears one."

Spoiler
    Show

Everyone - The brooch is an unslotted item. It activates with a standard action (physical, manipulation) and functions as Rary's Telepathic Bond, except it is not telepathic. You have to speak, either to a single person or multiple at once.

VoR - Knowledge Local - You've heard rumors about Kyisa and what her mutation has transformed her into. There is a name for her mutation; they call them the Spellwarped. Knowledge: Dungeoneering applies to Aberrations.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Taking one of the X's, Bahzell slips it into his belt pouch for the moment.
    Well then, I guess we should get started as soon as possible. Leyanda, is there any way you could give us a lead on where to start looking? I'm not saying that you need to show us personally, simply showing us a map, or verbal directions would be good.
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #14

Shard reaches for one of the Xs and only then does he realize his fist, balled up in rage, has also grown half a dozen bony spikes. He quickly releases the fist and shakes out his hand, reabsorbing the spikes, then takes the X.

Agreed. I know I would very much like to find the person doing this.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Leyana turns to Bahzell. "She's down in Skullport...I guess there's lots of ways to get in there, but I only know about the one from the tavern they go to. I think it's called the Keelhauled Dwarf...but I'm not really sure what that means." Her scales flash green and then a dull silver. "It's underground, beneath a big warehouse in the Dock Ward. Lots of nasty people go there."

Spoiler
    Show

General OOC Knowledge: Skullport is a subterranean community on the banks of the River Sargauth in the depths of Undermountain's third level. It's built on the ruins of some enclave and serves as a smuggling and trading base for stolen and illegal cargo; body parts, cadavers, drugs, ask-no-questions mercenaries, slaves, evil and vile magic, poisons, and almost anything else can be found for sale in the dark ways. It's inhabited by thieves, murderers, and monsters that the people have driven underground.

Knowledge: Local DC 25 to know the location of the warehouse the tavern is under, or use gather info later.

Knowledge: Local DC 15 to know rumors about the Keelhauled Dwarf. You can make a single check for both of them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Victiln thinks for a moment. If what he's heard about Skullport is true, it's not the kind of place that he would normally like to visit. With the knowledge that it's in the Dock Ward, it shouldn't be too difficult to find. In fact, if what he's read is true, and he has no reason to believe it isn't, Victiln even knows where the tavern is hidden.

I actually know where that is. I was reading some articles one day that were not exactly on the academy's approved list of study material, and the Keelhauled Dwarf was mentioned a couple of times. I think from the various descriptions that I could lead us to the warehouse where it's hidden without too much difficulty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Local - (1d20+16)[27]
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-10 at 12:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You're sure? If so, I guess we should start without delay. Just let me return to my room to get my equipment, and I'll be ready.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #18

Alloy nods in agreement as she places the brooch on her tunic, just over her heart. "Way to go, Vic!" she beams. "I need just a few minutes to grab my gear, too, then I'll be ready to go!" A quick glance at Alloy shows excitement and anticipation. A closer look shows a hard glint of determination and...something else...in her sea green eyes.
    Last edited by Allomancer; 2010-01-11 at 01:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Professor Xavier smiles. "I remember when I used to be that eager for adventure." He smiles a moment longer and then says. "But be warned, this Kyisa is a dangerous opponent. She has gathered together mutants that have been outcast from normal society and they are fiercely loyal to her." He stops and glances at Leyana a moment. "Just be careful, my students. The world below is a dark and dangerous place."

20. - Top - End - #20

"Well said, Professor. I understand how dangerous the world can be. You know that, sir," she added the last softly with a brief glance downward as she fingers the medallion hanging around her neck.

21. - Top - End - #21

Shard

Shard bows to the professor. We will be cautious. And turns to prepare as well. Back in a moment.

As he gets out of sight of the others, he extends a sword-length spike out of one hand, murmurs I can be dangerous, too. then retracts it and jogs to his room.

After gathering the few necessary items, he returns to the others.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, risk nothing, gain nothing. With a nod of his head at the Professor, Bahzel begins to leave the room, stopping when he reaches the door. Half turning, he addresses the other members of the team still in the room.We'll meet back here before we leave, then?
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Fleet examines the brooch in detail and attaches it to his vest while the others discuss. He keeps all of his gear on him at all times, so he stays behind with the Professor and Leyanda.

Professor, hearing of this situation has troubled me. Tell me, how is it that such evil can take hold of one's heart? Why did this Kyisa woman not come to you for help in the face of persecution?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, I shall return here as soon as I gather my things. It should not take more than a minute or two.

Victiln nods to Kyisa again on his way out, and heads back to his room to grab his things. He dons his mithril armor and clips the darkwood shield to his back where he can access it later. He grabs his mace and a few wands and tucks them away before gathering his backpack and bedroll, just in case. The rest of his "things" are already in his possession, and he hurries back to Xavier's room to meet up with the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Bahzell quickly returns to his room, donning his armor and gathering up his weapons, before returning to the room.
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

The Professor turns to Fleet. "Evil comes in many guises, and we are not immune to it's corruption. Though our abilities separate us from everyone else it is our heart that makes us people. I do not know why she chose the path she did; perhaps she already had given herself over to hate and fear before the spellfire came. Perhaps it twisted her mind as it changed her body." He sighs and glances over at Leyana, then smiles.

"I believe that it is not too late for her, that if she truly wishes to change her ways then we may help her. Whatever deeds have been done must be accounted for, but her heart may still be saved."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Fleet nods with a solemn expression.

This is what I would hope as well, but she must still answer for her despicable deeds. I fear that, when faced with this, she will only dive deeper into the darkness.

He sighs, and looks to Leyanda.

At least one soul has escaped to the light. What land did you call home, young one?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Leyana whips her head back around to face Fleet. She had been turned back, staring out the window. "Ah...I was born in this really big library. They called it Candlekeep." Her scales turn a dark red. "But they told my mom that I couldn't stay there, so she gave me to some priests of Tyr...they, uh, brought me here to Waterdeep, but I didn't like them. So I ran away."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

When everyone returns to the room, Professor Xavier floats his chair over to Leyanda. He smiles at her and her scales shift from brown to green. "Please make haste, my friends. We can not afford for the Guard to catch Kyisa before we are able to find her. She must be stopped...but I hope she can be persuaded to stop on her own."

Spoiler
    Show

Victiln knows where the warehouse is. It's in the south end of the Dock Ward, a few streets away from the docks. D30 on the map. I know the maps are small - try downloading them and zooming in with Adobe or Paint Shop Pro or another imaging software.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I shall do my utmost to seek a peaceful solution to the problem, professor. I only hope that Kyisa and her associates will listen to reason. Let me get a traveling guise on, and I'll lead the way

Victiln shrugs his equipment into a more or less comfortable position before focusing on his inner magic. Within a matter of seconds, Victiln's scales melt away, and reveal a smooth layer of human skin, and all trace of the draconic has left his eyes as they take on a blue hue; his hair turns a dark brown.

There we go, Victiln says with some satisfaction. that ought to do the job nicely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Victiln attempts to disguise himself as a human with his Humanoid Shape invocation. His disguise check is +14 without the invocation, and +24 with it (so far as I know, only a True Seeing or similar effect would bypass the invocation. I can roll this if you want, but I know disguise checks are generally rolled in secret by the DM.

Also, Victiln has a +17 in forgery that may be useful here, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Given that we're (initially) on a mission of peace and diplomacy, it seems counter-productive to pass ourselves off as something else. If anyone can think of a good reason to have a certain paper handy right now though, let me know. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but Victiln is supposed to be
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-14 at 10:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!