New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Xavier's Academy for the Gifted [IC]

Well, I'm ready whenever you are. Lead the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you could also just take 10 on your disguise. Would leave you with a 34, which should be an auto-pass unless you're disguising your self as someone in particular.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shard

Wishing he could grow his exoskeleton for better protection, but aware that it would draw unwanted attention, Shard follows the group as they head out.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

The underground passage through Melody Walk is cool. Hidden from the blazing sun, the sea breeze brings the salt air into the damp corridor. Emerging on the other side the Academy can be seen just below the high walls of the Cliffride. The broad dirt lane between the buildings and foot of Mount Waterdeep has no official name though it's commonly called the Giant's Footpath, referring to the Mountain itself.

The lane widens and changes to paved cobblestones as it reaches further south. It passes through Fetlock Court, where the Watch stables their mounts and use as a staging area for out bound patrols. Just beyond the courtyard are the Palaces's stables and paddocks, their storage and Watch garrison. The area is heavily patrolled by the Watch that live there and Castle Ward is one of the safest places in the city.

Piergeiron's Palace, the city's main office location for many city officials, also acts as the housing for the varied embassies and their ambassadors to the city. The lane follows the spur of Mount Waterdeep and turns into Waterdeep Way, curving around Caste Waterdeep.

Crossing over to the Dock Ward part of town, Victiln leads you onto Snail Street, a long, straight avenue that leads deep into seedy side of Waterdeep. The people begin to look dirtier, their stares longer and muttered curses more vocal. The buildings lose the refined elegance of the Castle Ward, turning more towards hastily repaired houses and shanties the farther south you travel.

Crossing the intersection of Snail and Fish Street, the doors of a tavern are slammed open and a man is thrown through them. He lands on the cobblestones with a thud and is slow to rise. A small group of three men walk out of the door and down the steps, laughing and sneering at the man in the street. Glancing again at the figure struggling to stand you realize that he is barely a man, not more than twenty winters to his name. One of the men on the steps points to the young man. "We don't want your kind in here, mutie!" He says. "I've half a mind to teach you a lesson, make sure you remember."

The two men behind him laugh and grin at the young mutant as he slowly rises to his feet.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Bahzel pauses for a moment once he registers the group, then walks over in a non-confrontational manner.
    Pardon me gentlemen. Is there some sort of problem here?

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifest Defensive prescience. +1 insight bonus to saves and ac.
    Also, unless otherwise noted, I have Precognition manifested at all times. It lasts 1 hour at my current level, or until expended.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing that Bazhel is going to get involved in the situation, Victiln stops and leans against the tavern wall. He's not expecting any trouble, but he's close enough to add a few words or two if necessary, or to lend aid if things spiral drastically out of control. Victiln does not attempt to work his own way into the conversation just yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

The thug glances over at Bahzel. "Mind your own business, berk. Just teachin this mutie some manners." He stomps over to the young man and grabs him by his hair, pulling his head back. "Real women don't like it when muties talk to 'em. It's disgusting, just havin you speak like you were a normal person. Jayla back there...she don't like you, and - " The heavy thug is interrupted as the young mutant reaches up with his hand and places it over the thugs face.

"You're blind!" He growls, and the thug drops him, clawing at his face. "Aarrggh! I'm blind! He cut my eyes out!" The thug drops to the ground on all fours, hands searching in the dirt. "Find my eyes!"

The two men standing on the steps freeze as their friend looks for his eyes, not knowing they are still in place and unharmed. "Damn mutant! Playin tricks on peoples minds." One of the them says, advancing toward the young mutant.

Spoiler
    Show

DC 17 Spellcraft - Blindness (Augmented)
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

7. - Top - End - #37

Shard
    A dagger-sized bone weapon had formed in his hand when the other mutant was thrown to the ground, but Shard relaxed when he saw the assailant go blind, retracted the blade and cupped his hands to his mouth. Trying not to smirk too much or let too much amusement creep into his voice, Shard calls out Better run, fellas! Wouldn't want to end up like your friend there.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2010-01-16 at 11:31 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Victiln is surprised at how badly things have gone in so short a time; perhaps they've all had a little too much to drink, and tempers are flaring high. Disengaging himself from the wall, Victiln moves out in front of the advancing man's path, blocking him from the prone mutant.

Take it easy. Nobody's been hurt yet, so let's try and keep it that way. Look, your friend isn't actually missing his eyes, is he? I'm sure we can find a way to put them back, so to speak.

Victiln spares a glance at the mutant. Perhaps he can undo the blindness he's inflicted. If not, then he's going to be in serious trouble when the watch show up to learn that he's permanently blinded another man. The popular phrase "an eye for an eye" does not bode well in this situation. Victiln knows that the man can find a cure for the blindness, with or without the mutant's help, but an average man like the antagonist here is unlikely to be able to afford a spell costing 150 or more gold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, to attempt to diffuse the situation - (1d20+24)[28] (to attempt to head off "combat" at speed is a -10 penalty to the roll; it probably applies here)
    Spellcraft - (1d20+10)[28]

Edit: That diplomacy check is a little under expectations
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-16 at 11:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

As the thugs approach, Bahzell interposes himself between them and the boy. Readying his longspear as he does so, he is careful to keep in as non-threatening as possible. His speech becomes short and coppy, a clear sign of stress.
    Boy. Release that man from your power. Now. Gentlemen, let's not start anything that we'll all regret later.
    Satomi by Elagune

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

The mans friend glares at Victiln. "Oh, someones about to get hurt alright." He looks at the longspear in Bahzell's hands, then turns and shouts over his shoulder. "Jorny! Go get the rest of em!" He turns back to face Victiln as the other man hurries back into the tavern. "What are you, some kind of mutant lover?" He asks.

The thug has given up searching and sits on his knees, rocking back and forth as he holds his hands up to his eyes, weeping.

The young mutant smirks and looks up at Bahzell. "Yeah, why should I, even if I could? They woulda done worse to me."

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, that was a close Diplomacy roll. Too bad.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I bet the DC was 20 wasn't it? Agh! So close. I should have offered to buy a round of drinks. Drinks are always a +2 circumstance modifier aren't they? Shame that Jorny was so quick to disappear.

Don't be stupid, of course not!

Victiln leans close to the man's friend, and whispers to him.

[whisper]I just don't like the Watch poking around my doorstep, if you know what I mean. They like stickin' their noses where they aren't welcome, and your little riot'll drag 'em right down on top of me, see? I can't have that. So what'dya say you call off the goons, I'll get the mutie to put yur friend's eyes back, and you can all have a round on me, eh? Or perhaps you misunderstand what I'm sayin' here:

Victiln's voice hardens considerably.

[whisper]Nobody's been hurt yet. Would you like to keep it that way?

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose it's hard to negotiate both sides at once, and getting an angry tavern-brawler to back off is probably a full-time job, so Victiln will negotiate eyes for the instigator later.

Bluff check to make a believable story: (1d20+20)[36]
    Intimidate check: (1d20+13)[16]

Dice, don't fail me now. The situation can't get much worse anyways, so I figure that an intimidate check can't hurt, especially one that's whispered. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Edit: Oh dice, why do you hate me so? A "4" on diplomacy? A "3" on intimidate? This will not end well
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-17 at 01:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Not a lover, but neither do I hate mutants. Right now, though, I'd simply like to point out that beating this man to unconsciousness won't let your friend see again. It's either going to take a cleric, or he could simply drop it. Which is easier? After all, I doubt he want this to go to the Watch, as while they'd overlook a man roughed up a bit outside a tavern, I doubt they'd be so lenient on someone assaulting others with magic.
    Giving a pointed glance over his shoulders, Bahzell continues, much more serious this time.
    And if he won't drop it, I'll take him to the Watch meself.
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #43

Shard

Resisting the urge to attack the man and feeling quite proud of himself for putting the mission first, Shard realizes they've entered a period of diplomacy and negotiation, each word generating an brief roll of his eyes and that he can not help here. Subtly as possible, he moves around the perimeter of those speaking, taking a position to cover the door in case the man's other friends do arrive and feel less like talking.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

The man looks at Victiln for a moment. "Oh, the watch don't need to worry about looking for his body. I plan on bringing it right to 'em. Maybe on a pike."

Jorny comes back out of the tavern followed by five more tough looking men. They come down the steps and one of them is knocked aside as a young woman shoves her way through them. She walks up next to Victiln. "Manny, why don't you just leave alone? He wasn't bothering anybody in there, least of all me."

Manny opens his mouth but if cut off as she interrupts. "If you don't leave that poor mutant alone..." She says, continuing in a low voice. "...then I might slip and mention some things to your wife that you don't want her to know."

The thug gulps and looks at Jayla. "Look...we don't want that." He turns to Victiln. "Okay...just get him to fix his eyes." He looks past at the mutant. "And you! You never come here again!".

All eyes turn to the mutant. He shrugs. "What makes you think I can take it away? Never figured out that part."

15. - Top - End - #45

Shard

Shard slaps a hand to his forehead in equal parts amazement and irritation, then quietly shakes his head, waiting for someone to suggest a way to restore the man's sight.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Egads man, we barely headed off your full-on beating, and you still won't let the matter die!

Victiln turns back to the mutant. Thus far, his attention has been squarely on the instigators, but the lack of cooperation by the mutant is, frankly, appalling. Victiln has half a mind to tell the moron that he doesn't have to fix the man's eyes, and just walk away and leave him to the barmen. Victiln points at the blind man.

You used your powers to replicate a very distinct spell with a very distinct cure. See the way he's looking for his eyes? Even the world's dumbest man, in shock, can tell the difference between being blind and not having eyes; if you can make the delusion, how hard can it be to fix it?

Look, I know you're not to blame for starting this thing, or else I wouldn't be here, and these fine gentlemen would already have set upon you. My conscience is appeased; if you won't, or can't, heal the man's eyes, that's your problem. Fix them or don't, it matters little to me personally, but for the sake of everyone involved, I'd strongly urge you to swallow your pride and do something about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the long posting gap; I've been distracted of late. Hope we can get this thing moving along at a healthy rate again soon.

Diplomacy - (1d20+24)[35]

Edit: Huzzah! A social skill roll that's above 5!
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-21 at 12:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

"How hard? I have no idea how hard it should be; I'm not a wizard." He says to Victiln. "Whatever god decided to play it's trick with me didn't deign to grant me the power to the restore sight." He says with a scowl. "Only take it away."

Jayla walks over to the blinded man, still kneeling on the ground. She places a hand on his head and he grabs hold, sobbing silent tears.

"Your conscience? I don't give a damn about your conscience." He says. "Where was your conscience last week when these fine gentlemen killed Lenoa? He didn't do nothing, just walking by on the street when those gentlemen saw his spellfire changed skin. He couldn't help it that he looked like a troll." He glares over at the men. "They killed him, and strung him up outside. Watch didn't do a damn thing. Where were you then?"

Spoiler
    Show

That's actually him being helpful, in terms of the Diplomacy check rules. Information can be helpful, and he's risking violence by talking about it in front of the men.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

My conscience was elsewhere at the time.

Victiln tried to keep the irritation out of his voice as he speak, trying to display a calm demeanor. The situation is fast spiraling out of his control, and Victlin does not like where it's headed.

The gods that played their "trick" on you did not see fit to have me stumble onto the scene in time. I am deeply sorry about Lenoa, but I am here now, and that ought to be worth something, at least. Or did you really think you could blind them all? Maybe someday they'll get what's coming to them, but not today. If you stoop to their level, you only prove them right. Nobody ever hears about the mutant who lashed out in self-defense; all they ever hear is that a mutant permanently disfigured a "poor, hardworking man at the bar."

Next time, stab him with a knife; they can't trace that back --

Victiln cuts his line of thinking short, embarrassed for even letting it cross his mind. He leans over close to Bahzell, who has been largely ignored since the "mutie" started speaking and whispers to him.

[whisper]Bahzell, see if you can't have a word with the professor. Tell him that we've got a young mutant who's got himself in a bit of trouble. Explain the situation. Tell him we're handling it, but we need some guidance; I'm at the end of my rope.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have a bad feeling about the situation. It feels a lot like a "150g gone out of my pocket" bad feeling. I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to talk to Xavier for me Tavar. Victiln is asking Bahzell to do it because Victiln is a little tied up at the moment, Bahzell is already involved in the situation, and nobody's pinned Victiln for a mutant yet, something he wants to avoid; someone might recognize the "x" symbol. Bahzell can, presumably, draw less attention with it.

I'm hoping the professor has some ideas that he can provide. I'd like to get his feedback before going forward with any decisions.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Bahzell nods to Victiln's words, and leans against the wall as he contacts the professer, then conveys to him the situation as quickly as possible.
    Satomi by Elagune

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Bazhell
    Spoiler
    Show

Xavier listens as you speak softly. "I understand. Try and convince the young man to go with Fleet to the nearest temple of Hoar, along with the blinded man. Let Fleet know that the Academy will pay the church for the magic necessary to remove the mans blindness. In return the young man may come and work for me until he pays off the debt. The Academy will be a safer place for him than the streets of the Docks."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

There's a solution to this, if you're willing to do some work. My sponsor will pay for the removal of the curse, and in return you will agree to work off the debt. You'll also have a place to stay, if you wish, one that isn't hostile to spellfire mutants. Fleet here will take you both to the nearest Temple of Hoar to make sure everything happens.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Nell has been minding her own business through this entire to do, staying in the shadows of the closest building to her allies. If anything she would have relished the prospect of a fight, given her overly specific feeding regimen. Never mind that would have had repercussions as bad as the blindness, she shares no sympathy with the bar brawlers.

Finally however...

"We're wasting time and making a scene..." whispering, Nell glides (on her feet, not on her wings) behind Victiln, squinting and looking coolly miserable in direct light. "Your altruism aside, if we don't end the threat the scale girl was going on about we'll have alot more problems to deal with than mutants getting into bar fights. Remember the scope of things and lets get out of here before someone we're after notices us."

She's somewhat bossy but getting her out in the light does this; the more forceful she is the quicker she can get back in the shadows.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

[whisper]Relax Nell, we've got plenty of time left to take care of what we came here to do. Bahzell wanted to get involved, and I'm not leaving without him anyways.

Nell is acting far more affronted than she needs to be, but Victiln is used to it by now. Nell is always a little sullen, especially when she's forced out of her comfortable, dark little corner. Victiln tries not to let it bother him; its not entirely her fault. She's a good person if you can look past it. He raises his voice.

It's a good offer. Gets him his eyes back, and they agree not to "press charges." I would advise you to take it.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Fleet steps up and nods, playing with the buttons on his vest. "Sure thing." He says. "I know one of their temples is not too far away."

Jayla looks at Bazhell, then turns to Manny. "You're going to take his offer, and leave the boy alone. I'll go with him to the temple." She says, her voice firm. The thug looks at Bazhell then back at Jayla. "Alright, alright." He says. "Just don't tell my wife nothin, like you said..." He whispers.

The young mutant glances at Manny and snorts, then turns to Bazhell. His eyes gaze over you, and then slowly covers the entire group. They widen for a moment, and he suppresses a slight smile. "So..." He says. "Just who is your sponsor that's so friendly to mutants, anyway?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Professor Charles Xavier.
    Satomi by Elagune