New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Erfworld game, a co-op perhaps?

You can stack 8. Max. IIRC?

Yeah. I guess you are right.

2. - Top - End - #32

SwashbucklerGuy

One sec. Gonna fix the combat

3. - Top - End - #33

SwashbucklerGuy

I also changed Gobwins. They are now like Marbits.

Combat:
    Okay. One eight Marbit Stabber stack attacks a Gump. In open terrain. I add their Combat together(8), and then roll one six-sided die(4). I add it together, and get a twelve. The Gump takes two hits(12/5=2.4=2). The Gump attacks back(5/5=1), and a Marbit takes one hit.(Stacking Defense(Highest Defense in Stack+1/2(Everyone Else's Defense)).Marbit's Defense would be 4.5, but I round up(I rounded down earlier because it was less then .5).

Better? It means you really have to use multipliers well. The only problem is that it is slow. Really slow. However, Gumps are heavies so I guess that is how it should be.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

The max Stack size is NOT 8, the BONUS for individual units in a stack tops out when you reach 8 units, but a stack can have as many units as you want (see the thriller fight, for example. that is one superstack of uncroacked.)

5. - Top - End - #35

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

6. - Top - End - #36

SwashbucklerGuy

Any ideas for Casters?

7. - Top - End - #37

SwashbucklerGuy

Where did you guys go?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, exams.

For Casters, I'm thinking it needs to be fairly simple. Obviously they have juice (a pain to keep a track of, but no side is likely to have many more than three or four casters) and I would suggest that juice is the main thing that increases as levels go up, not spells.

I think that each caster type should probably have one combat (or combat applicable) spell and one non-combat spell. Perhaps the non-combat one is either unit-production or passive.

9. - Top - End - #39

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmmm...

So, do we have more than one actual spell per caster or are there only going to be two?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, I'd advise coming up with basic spells, just a handful for each discipline.

Then, instead of creating multiple spells/discipline, simply apply a scaling cost-power system.

Example...

---Croakamancy---
    "Uncroak" - This spell turns up to 1 medium-sized corpse per Caster Level into an Uncroaked Infantry Unit. It survives for 1 round (until the end of your next turn).
    Extend Duration - you may legnthen the duration the corpse will remain intact by 1 turn per Caster Level for every 2 additional points of Juice spent.
    Extra Types - you may uncroak additional types of troops ; these may not be Seige or Heavy units, and retain no Natural Spell abilities except those based on Movement, such as the ability to enter Tunnels or Flight. This cost an extra 4 points of Juice.
    Uncroaked Warlord - you may uncroak a fallen Warlord as an Uncroaked Warlord unit - it retains all it's abilities, including Leadership, with the except of most Natural spells. It still retains movement modes and it's Natural Thinkamancy talent allowing it to command troops under it mentally.
    Uncroak Extra Units - If there are more Corpses available than the 1/Levle limit, you may instead spend a portion of your juice to increase this limit. Double the current cost of the spell to double the maximum number animated. As a special option, a Croakamancer of at least 7th level with full Juice may spend all of their Juice to animate all corpses in their Hex as Uncroaked Infantry until the end of their next turn.

11. - Top - End - #41

SwashbucklerGuy

I dont like the caster level stuff. It could be very hard to keep up with having to remember all of that.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, seems too complicated.

For Croakamancers, how about: can raise 10 units per 2 juice. Infantry count as 1, advanced infantry 2, knights 3, fliers 10 and warlords 20.

Sadly removes the mass uncroaking, but it seems like that might be too complicated. Perhaps you can uncroak at a lower cost (say uncroak knights for 1 point per unit) but they only count as what you pay for in terms of uncroaking points. Spare points are discarded.

The passive ability can be... uncroaked units in the hex (or surrounding hexes?) decay slower. And uncroaked units led by a croakamancer can dancefight and recieve a 2x multiplier to combat.

13. - Top - End - #43

DwarfFighterGuy

Well what you could do for Croakamancy is have the Croakamancer spend X juice, minimum Y (The specific numbers aren't important so I'll stick with variables for now) to raise Z units. Those units are then level X/Z (round down), minimum 1, and last for X/Z turns (round down), minimum 2.

I'm thinking about Y. Maybe it's dependent on the level of the highest uncroacked? Say, that level/2 (round up), minimum 1? So if you uncroak 10 units, and the most powerful one is level 7, then you must spend at least 4 juice on it. If you choose to spend 5, each uncroaked will be level 2 and will last two turns.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

That's reasonable, but means that basic units would then have levels, which I think is maybe too complicated to keep track of. Warlords and Casters should level, sure, but keeping a tally of the level of every infantry on the board seems excessive.

15. - Top - End - #45

SwashbucklerGuy

That sounds awesome.

16. - Top - End - #46

SwashbucklerGuy

Wow, didnt see that post.

Maybe, but it should be easy with some programs.

17. - Top - End - #47

DwarfFighterGuy

That, or you could just assign a generic level to all the types of non-warlord/casters. Here's one possible formula you could use:

(Movement+Combat+Defense+Hits+#positive specials-#negative specials)/8-1 rounded, minimum 1.

I don't think we have any way to figure out how many turns it takes to pop a unit. We could use this formula for that, also.

For example, take the human piker. His Movement is 10, his Hit is 3, his Combat is 2, and his Defense is 2. Adding them together, you get 17. He has the piker special, which is advantageous as it does extra damage to cavalry. So you take 18/8-1=1.5=2.

Note: This formula may seem overly complicated, but it's actually just the average of his Movement, Combat, Defense, and Hits, adding in specials (each divided by four), halving that, and subtracting one. If that helps.

Edit: What we really need to do is come up with how the spells from each disciple work. Maybe over the weekend I'll come up with something. Also, we need to determine how levels work when casting spells. My formula in my last post, for example, works just as well for a Level 1 Croakamancer as it does for a Level 946,382,715 Croakamancer. I'm thinking as a Caster's level increases, his/her Juice increases and also the Caster's level-1 is added to the effect of the spell. So any Uncroaked units that were Uncroaked by a Level 2 Croakamancer get an extra level and an extra day to live (er... die, rather) than if a Level 1 Croakamancer Uncroaked them.
    Last edited by nerd-7i+e; 2010-01-28 at 07:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

SwashbucklerGuy

The Casters should probably start with a random(d6?) amount of Juice, to show how each are different.

19. - Top - End - #49

DwarfFighterGuy

That's probably smart. But they should then get some Juice each time they level. If you want Caster's Juice to increase at varying rates per level, you could give them d4 Juice each level instead of the 1 or 2 I was picturing.

Actually, looking at the way I've developed the cost, it might be smarter to make starting juice d10, and then each level adds d6. That way, a lucky Caster could do an additional spell as I described above each level. A very lucky Caster. Most Casters will probably gain an additional such spell every two levels.

20. - Top - End - #50

SwashbucklerGuy

Sounds good.

Now lets make some spells!
    Starting with Croakamancy.

Now, we already have the one spell,but what if we make two Uncroaking Spells, where one is normal, and the other targets more units but has less turns of unlife?

21. - Top - End - #51

DwarfFighterGuy

The way my Croakamancy spell is designed, that already happens – you can Uncroak as many units as you want, but the more you Uncroak, the weaker they are and the less time they last. Likewise, you can create one very powerful Uncroaked which will have a high level and last a while. In many ways, however, we already do have two spells: the Croakamancers can lead their Uncroaked into a dance-fight. While not a spell per se, it's a strong ability which not all Casters get.

22. - Top - End - #52

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh yes. I see now. >.>

But what else should Croakmancers get?

23. - Top - End - #53

DwarfFighterGuy

If you don't think them being able to lead Uncroaked units in a dance-fight is enough, we could give Croakamancers a spell that lets them weaken enemy Uncroaked. But it would have to be a pretty weak spell – such dance-fighting ability seems very powerful, and we don't want to make Croakamancers ridiculously powerful. Each disciple should remain roughly equal in power.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nerd-7i+e View Post
    If you don't think them being able to lead Uncroaked units in a dance-fight is enough, we could give Croakamancers a spell that lets them weaken enemy Uncroaked. But it would have to be a pretty weak spell – such dance-fighting ability seems very powerful, and we don't want to make Croakamancers ridiculously powerful. Each disciple should remain roughly equal in power.
    Why? Croakamancers seem to be one of the most valuable spellcasters to field, making them stronger then a few others might not be to off kilter. Just raise the upkeep accordingly.
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

25. - Top - End - #55

DwarfFighterGuy

I'm not sure about that. Wanda is definitely very powerful, but remember what Wanda says in the third panel of the thirteenth strip – Wanda does not just perform Croakamancy, and this gives us the (presumably false) impression that Croakamancy is a more valuable type of magic than, say, Dirtamancy. Wanda is very powerful, but imagine her without the:
    • Shockamancy, notably the big explosion that Wanda used to destroy Jilian's flying companions (archons, flying centaurs, etc.).
    • Findamancy, notably the spell that found Parson in the first place.
    • Thinkamancy, notably the spell that gave her control over Jilian.

Still pretty powerful, but this is probably largely due to her (presumably very high) level.
    Last edited by nerd-7i+e; 2010-01-29 at 05:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by nerd-7i+e View Post
    Meh. Mass uncroaking is only good over the course of a turn or two if you do it in large numbers. Which, admittedly, may be enough to turn the tides, since it really only takes a handful of turns to end the siege of Gobwin Knob.

Personally, I like Thinkamancy better. They get some ridiculously powerful effects like caster link-ups and more useful utilities like communication.

EDIT:
    Oh snap. Turnamancers get Time Warp?!
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2010-02-18 at 12:15 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

DwarfFighterGuy

I've finally finished the spell list! (I didn't give the Turnamancers' a time-warp ability because then they'd have three spells, and I didn't have a good idea.) Can I e-mail it to someone to copy it onto this forum (it's too big and I'm too lazy to copy it myself)?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can always have casters work as cards in a deck, that are drawn randomly, one caster type attack allowed per round as long as you have casters with juice left.

If 2 linked up then 1/6 random chance one is lost/goes crazy (and if you lose one then roll again for 1/6 chance to lose other).

If you have 3 casters linked up then 1/3 chance one is lost, and if lost you keep rolling on each remaining caster.

Example card: Dittomongus

If 1 caster then double attack this round.
    If 2 casters then quad attack this round.
    If 3 casters you wipe out entire enemy army, but lose half your own, through "endless doubling" ultra-spell.

;-)
    Last edited by multilis; 2010-02-24 at 02:02 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

SwashbucklerGuy

Send it here. To me.

30. - Top - End - #60

DwarfFighterGuy

You can't attach documents with the forum e-mail-er (and the organization gets all messed-up if I don't attach). Give me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. If you don't want to put it directly on the forum, Private Message me.