New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Good, the Bad, and the Hellbound

The Message came in many forms and through many signs, but it came nonetheless. Across the globe, four individuals felt its call, manifest in different ways. From the barbarian leading his tribe, the stars aligning to light his path, to the dragon sorcerer, his potions fizzing in strange archaic symbols and patterns. To Fate's hand, the whispers and melodies found in the heart. And to the treasure, her prized possessions landing to form and draw maps where they landed.

For all of them, the Message lead them to a single place. A clearing in the woods, the moon lush and full beneath them. Four strangers and a dragon, paragons in their fields, brought together by a single calling. For in the center of the clearing was a table, and seated at that table where two figures, one dressed in white and the other in black. With a single movement, they gesture for you to join them, chairs appearing at the other end. The world is quiet, waiting for you to begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Hellbound

Aeris

The long figure walked through the woods, black hair falling down over a simple grey cloak. His leather boots crunched on the fallen leaves, a slight bulge on his back from the shield strapped there, under his cloak. He tilts his head up, looks at the sky.

You are kind, Lady, to show me this peaceful evening. I will remember it when fortune comes full circle.

Stepping into the clearing, he takes two steps and pauses. The wind dies down and the noises of the wood fall silent. The beating of his heart was a thundercrash, throbbing in the stillness. I suppose we shall see where you take us now Lady.

He steps forward and approaches the table. Standing next to a chair he nods his head toward the figures. "Peace. I am Aeris, and I have come to where she calls me."
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zala

"Almost there," she whispers to herself, excitedly. Her treasures had drawn a most interesting map, right to the clearing that lay just a few steps away from her. She could see three figures, two seated on the same side of a table and the other standing across from them.

As she approaches the group, a thought zips through her mind. So it wasn't a treasure map...just a bit disappointing...oh well. Maybe this will lead to something interesting! She accepts the gesture, and seats herself at the table. "Greetings! I'm Zala. A particularly peculiar map drew me to this place..."
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you guys start sitting down you see an extremely large man the same size as many trees walk into the clearing.
    "'ello, stars guided me, i am big wolf Who be you?" he says sitting down on the ground or on the chair if there is one large enough to accomadate him.
    Last edited by Complete_Sin; 2010-01-09 at 05:53 PM.
    Help my dragons!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Aeris

The grey cloak flutters as he stands when the halfling lady approaches. He bows and says. "My name is Aeris." He pauses, glancing over her. "A map? The Lady speaks to us in ways we may understand." He seats himself after she does and appraises the huge warrior that strides up. His eyes flash blue for a moment then return to grey. "Big Wolf. Appropriate. Call me Aeris."

Spoiler
    Show

Greater Arcane Sight - any spells or notable magical effects on the other characters or the two silent hosts?
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Immersa swoops down low some distance from the place where Kyyt has been shown in his alchemy. His works have shown strange reactions that are not natural, of this Kyyt is certain. The two of them had no idea what to expect when they approached the clearing in the moonlight. Their time of arrival was not by accident, for several others are already present, and seated at table.

Did you expect that there would be others? Immersa asks of her rider.

Kyyt answers as he dismounts.

I had no idea that anyone would be here tonight, but it was a powerful omen that brought us here.

And its not a coincidence that they're here at the same time as we are.

Let's see what all the trouble is about.

Although attempting to uphold a calm demeanor, Kyyt is on edge. It would take a being of immense power to alter his workings in such drastic ways, and to coordinate the signs so exactly. This didn't exactly stink of an ambush, but something powerful was clearly at work. At the invitation, Kyyt comes forward and takes a chair. Immersa follows right behind, and curls herself up behind Kyyt's chair. In ordinary circumstances, she may have adopted human form, and taken a seat as well, but she wanted to be able to act at a moments notice if something should go wrong. Terrible things can happen if you're unprepared, after all...

Greetings to you all. I have seen a great many signs in my alchemy that all point to this location. The coordinates have remained consistent throughout many very diverse experiments. Would it be too much to ask for somebody to please explain the situation?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dangerprawn: you can look on Kyyt's character sheet to see the myriad of effects that affect him, either through equipment or persisted spells. Immersa is similarly enchanted with the equipment on her sheet and the spells Kyyt casts on her.
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-10 at 03:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

As the four are seated, the one clad in white begins to speak, with a voice like the crescendo of music, a voice that speaks of light and life and art, of beauty and nature and progress.

"You have all been summoned for a purpose. For the Balance is fading."

Without warning, the forest clearing fades away, the night sky becoming red and the grass becoming red soil, stained with blood. The air smells of war and there are cries of battle in the distance. The one clad in black begins to speak; his voice is smooth like fine wine, a voice as fine as the edge of a knife, as desire, as seduction.

"Since the Beginning, the Blood War has raged. The forces of Good have been spared oblivion solely because of this clash of devil against demon. In time this conflict will end, and the winner shall emerge victorious, and sweep away the armies of Light. But not now, not today."

The white-clad continues. "The war is a perpetual stalemate, or at least close enough to one. But recently, a third faction has emerged; one charismatic enough to call for peace, and unification against light. This cannot be allowed, for the sake of Good."

"For the sake of my Lord."

"You have been chosen to reignite the Blood War."

"To destroy this young upstart."

The illusion vanishes; the forest returns. "Do this," the white-clad speaks softly, "and you will receive the Light of Heroism."

The black-clad stands. "Do we have a bargain?"
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Light of Heroism == To Join the ranks of the great heroes: Merlin, Conan, Heracles, etc.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zala

"Oh, my...that's quite a grim revelation." She murmurs, turning inward to think. If the Balance is lost, if this war between the devils and demons ends...from what they're saying, it sounds like we'll all be killed, or worse. ...Dying at the hands of a devil or a demon because nothing was done...is not something I want to happen!

After glancing to the others at the table, she nods. "I accept the bargain. This new group must be stopped."
    Morning Star

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

"hmmm" A deep rumbling sound coming deep from within big wolf, "I have fought many foes...I have seen many moons" He waves his hand in the air slightly motioning towards the sky "I can beat even the mightiest foes in a test of strength" he chuckles to himself like he remembers something from long ago.

He then stands up to his full height "But, i have never done what i have been told without full relisation" He cracks his shoulders "I know not of what you speak. I know not of what many speak, and i ussually dont question!" He looks up at the stars "But today i ask, as no man i have ever seen no matter how smart or strong, has been able to influence the stars"

He sits back down and goes completly silent, as he sits down he takes the head band and puts it over his eyes.

Only DM Read
    Spoiler
    Show
    He puts on his blindfold of true darkness, giving him blindsight 30, he also activates his AMF
    Last edited by Complete_Sin; 2010-01-10 at 02:19 PM.
    Help my dragons!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Aeris

He sits still in his chair, watching the transformation and destruction of the world unfold. "The Blood War is one of the greatest natural balances that exist in our world." He nods at Zala. "This affront to her ways must not be allowed to pass. I will join you."

Dear Lady...is this what you have prepared me for? Is this to be my final fate?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ooc: the hell sequence was an illusion, you realize that?

Complete_Sin:

Spoiler
    Show
    Standing before you, their glamor uncloaked, are two entirely different beings. Where the man in white sat, there now stands a golden-skinned humanoid, as tall as yourself, with wings made of shining light. And where the dark-clad man stood, is an equally tall devil, red skinned and winged, poison dripping from fangs.
    Last edited by industrious; 2010-01-10 at 02:22 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Aeris

A few blinks is the only reaction from Aeris as Big Wolf stands and draws on his blindfold. As the figures true form are shown his eyes blaze blue again. "Naturally. Those involved first hand would not seek to redress the balance in anothers favor."

Spoiler
    Show

industrious: Yep, I know it was an illusion. Just his reaction.

Also, Greater Arcane Sight is constantly active, so Aeris is automatically aware of any spells or magical effects on a creature or item.

However, I'm totally fine with DM fiat for deciding something doesn't register if you need it to. There is more powerful magic in the world that could foil that spell.

edit: ninja'd! was that supposed to be for Big Wolf's character only to see? It's spoilered now, but does the illusion drop for everyone or just him? Want me to delete this post?
    Last edited by dangerprawn; 2010-01-10 at 02:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The angel nods. "For good to have a chance to prevail, we cannot allow evil to unite."

The devil smirks. "And the upstart is destroying the power base of my Lord Asmodeus."

"But for the celestial hosts to act on behalf of demons would bring about Armageddon too early."

"And my Lord knows that if he does nothing himself, someone else will do it for him to preserve the balance. The stakes are simply too high for anything else to be done."
    Last edited by industrious; 2010-01-10 at 04:28 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Very well" Big wolf says "I do not doubt the stars" He put his hands in the air and 2 gigantic swords appear in them and a suit of chainmail drops over him "I am ready to aid you"
    Help my dragons!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Aeris

The wanderer glances at the barbarians weapons for a moment, then turns back to the Angel and Devil. "What is the name of this upstart? What manner of creature is he or she? What forces are loyal to it?" He pauses a moment, reaches into a pouch on his belt and brings out a crystal. The perfect sphere emits a faint white glow and he pulls his unslings his ashwood bow from his back. He replaces the black crystal set in the guard with the white sphere and places the black one in his pouch. He rests the unstrung bow across his lap.

"Also, where may we find this upstart so that we may restore the balance?"

Spoiler
    Show

Replacing Life Drinking crystal with FiendSlayer crystal.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Kyyt considered the matter very carefully. When he'd achieved his immortality, he'd hoped that he'd finally have some time to relax, and live life without danger or obligation. He'd hoped to find some place far away from the rest of the world, where he and Immersa could live peaceful, boring lives for at least a few centuries. Apparently, fate had it out for him. Ironic, having all the time in the multiverse and yet having none to spare. In made Kyyt want to sigh and throw his hands in the air with frustration.

Instead, he turns in his chair so that he could face his companion, and asks her what she thinks about the situation. The gravity of the situation does not escape her.

I have only a rudimentary understanding of this Blood War of which these two speak. I am aware, however, that a disturbance in the war would have dire consequences for the celestials and, given time, the material plane. If the order is to be maintained, then somebody must act. As much as I hate to be responsible for the bloodshed of hundreds of thousands of "people," it is necessary that something be done. We've been called, we're likely candidates; supposing nobody wants to take our place, then what? We could hide, like cowards, as the devils and demons rained hellfire upon the world, but what's the point? It will only delay the inevitable. You cannot escape it Kyyt.

She was right, of course. Kyyt had spent his entire life searching for the secret to eternal life. Now, the world's problems were his own; if he lives forever, he cannot pray that death will find him before the fiends do. Damn. One more thing he must do before he can return and live the "normal" life he missed out on. One more thing after one more thing...will there ever be "no more things...?" He hated to bring himself into this mess, and he hated even more the need to bring Immersa into it, but she was right: someone had to do something, and that someone was him. Kyyt gives in and sighs a heavy sigh.

I don't have much of a choice now do I? I shall aid you in destroying this upstart, who calls for peace. Tell us everything you know. Our lives are on the line the moment we enter the infernal planes, so I expect to be well-prepared before we go. Locations, numbers, allies, magic, enemies, anything at all that will help us?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The duo nod as they hear Kyyt's reply.

"We cannot offer you any explicit aid." They say, in chorus. "All we can do is take you to the edge of the Adversary's compound, on the First Layer of the Infernal Gates."

The angel's eyes are mournful as he looks upon the immortal. "We are prohibited from interference. But if I were to tell you that you are not the first who has sought to redress the imbalance..." The being's mouth suddenly seizes up; you can tell that it is unable to speak anymore on the subject.

The devil smirks. "We cannot say it's name, or much other information, by the strictures of the Pact Primeval itself. Merely that many demons and devils have come into it's service." He stands up. "Shall we depart now?"

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Aeris

He turns towards Kyyt and glances over the human with his blue eyes. "I assume that with the artifacts you wear you are a magician. Do you know if we require magical assistance to withstand the environment of the Infernal Gates? Can you provide such?" He asks as he stands.

He reaches behind his back and unclips the shield, holding it in front of him and softly speaking a word. He releases it and the shield hovers in the air.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

After seeing the others equip themselves big wolf takes out a glob of glue and lets it cover it engulf him so he is covered in a thin see threw goo, His eyes also change to pure white. He then speak a few words in a deep hoars language. Which if anyone speaks giant translates to "Fire, ice, lightning."

Then as if out of nowhere everyone heres "Lets go kill something i thirst for blood which has not stained my /lips/ for a very long time, to long of a time."

If someone try to listen its big wolfs sword talking.
    Help my dragons!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Zala

She hops off her chair, readjusting her sword and nods to the devil and angel. "I'm ready to depart. Those fiends will feel the full force of our combined fury!" She raises her hand enthusiastically, then looks off to the side, places a finger on her chin, and murmurs something about having just spoken many F's. She then pulls out a knife from a pocket in her jacket and grins. "I've got a little something special for those demons and devils."

Spoiler
    Show

The knife she pulls out is one enchanted with "Holy"
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2010-01-13 at 12:04 AM.
    Morning Star

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Immersa watches Big Wolf get ready for battle. The man certainly has some strange rituals that he undergoes...She wonders at the single-mindedness of Big Wolf. With barely a thought given to the situation, he is not only ready, but eager to plunge himself into the very depths of the Abyss and Hell itself. Such confidence must be nice. Immersa is startled when a voice begins to appear seemly from nowhere, but she settles back down once she figures out where the sound is coming from. The fact that Big Wolf has an intelligent sword is not all that surprising, and it means that no actual person got past her without her knowing, which is relieving.

Kyyt pays barely any attention at all to the antics of Big Wolf as he thinks hard about Aeris' question. He has heard some talk about the underworld and its goings-on, but he really has no idea what to expect when they reach it. Kyyt shakes his head.

You are correct, I am indeed a magician of sorts. However, I do not know what to expect down there. I have only a rudimentary understanding of the outer planes; my expertise lies elsewhere. I am an Alchemist, although I am hardly even so active in my field anymore that I really deserve that title. My research has been highly rewarding for myself. Even the secret of eternal life has not eluded me, but it works only for me; for all my knowledge, I can do nothing to aid another...

The last is said with a definite note of bitterness and self-loathing. Some distance away, Immersa stirs and looks at Kyyt. Although one would have to be quick to notice it, something stirs behind her eyes for a brief moment before disappearing abruptly. Whether it was deep sadness or pity that lay there is hard to say.

Still, I can ward us against the most common dangers that ought to face us. It is the more subtle tricks that we will need to be on our guard about. If you will all please gather around, I will begin the spellweaving.

Kyyt asks Immersa to part with a ring that she wears upon her left foreleg for but a brief moment. It is clear that she understands the necessity of the situation, but the intensity of her stare as she follows the ring's movements make it clear that she wants it back soon, and in good condition.

He works his spells as quickly as he is able, and then he charges the ring up with a few spells as he passes it back and forth to Immersa. He then reloads the ring multiple times, and hands it to eveyone who will take it in turn.

Inside is a simple warding spell. By wearing the ring, you will instinctively come into the knowledge of how to activate the magic. By casting it on everyone else, you will create a series of magical links between yourself and those you cast it on. Together, we will make a web that will disperse the damage between us evenly; if one of us gets hurt, we will all share the pain. In this way, I shall be able to direct that magic's course, and alleviate some of the total damage dealt. It also helps to ensure that everybody will come back alive, because we will all be supporting each other.

either that Kyyt thinks pessimistically, or none of us are coming back at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kyyt will be buffing everyone with the following spells:

Persist Wraithstrike: Immersa (8th level spell)
    Persist Scintillating Scales: Self (7th level spell)
    Persist Scintillating Scales: Immersa (7th level spell)
    Chain, Reach, Persisted Protection from Evil: Everyone (to keep away the mind control). (7th and 5th level spells)
    Chain, Reach, Persisted Blindsight: Everyone. (8th and 6th level spells)
    Chain, Reach, Persisted Displacement: Everyone (9th and 7th level spells)
    Persisted Haste: Everyone (9th level spell)
    Chain, Reach, Persisted Spiderskin (9th and 7th level spells)
    Chain, Reach Energy Immunity: All: everyone (5 8th level spells)
    Chain Shield Other (6-10): everyone (6-10 4th level spells)

Total spells used

4th: 5 used
    5th: 1 used
    6th: 1 used
    7th: 5 used
    8th: 7 used (1 covered by 9th-level slot)
    9th: 3 used

I understand that some people may be uneasy about the use of the chained Shield Others, but it's a smart move overall. If you really don't want to be a part of it, you can say so, and have your character deny the ring, although that will likely lead to you being excluded from the web altogether.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Aeris

Holding the bow in his left hand Aeris accepts the ring. Eternal life? Who is this mage? Those spells are powerful indeed. He activates the spell within the ring and passes it on.

He turns and regards the Angel and Devil. "Do not forget this: Even with the arcane might you possess you are powerless to even speak the name of your adversary. It has befallen mortals to do what needs be done." He stares at the Devil. "Remember that and think long on it, should our quest be successful, and you find yourself succumbing to the corruption of your blood...causing you to seek conquest here on our world."

He holds his head up and his eyes flash blue. "Remember that it was a mortal that slew your greatest enemy."

Spoiler
    Show

Senses Active:
    Blindsight 60ft
    Tremorsense 120ft
    Greater Arcane Sight

Yeah...I just told the Epic Pit Fiend Sorcerer to watch his back. Aeris is that much of a bad ass.

Intimidate! (just for kicks) (1d20+39)[42]
    Man...what a crappy time to roll a 3.
    Last edited by dangerprawn; 2010-01-13 at 01:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the dragon and master anounce the buffing he closes his eyes for a second and the magic field around him dissapears. He sighs "why do i need to share pain?"

"we'll talk about it later" The sword says aloud.
    Last edited by Complete_Sin; 2010-01-13 at 01:27 AM.
    Help my dragons!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

(1d20+46)[56]

The devil merely smiles at Aeris's words. "Let us begin."

Pointing his hand at the five, the pit fiend speaks a Word, one that echoes and reverberates throughout the forest. It sounds wrong, almost physically painful to hear. Your eyes roll back in your heads, and for a brief moment, you glimpse a vast misty emptiness...before you realize that you are all now standing on a plateau overlooking an encampment. The air is hot and the sky and soil are red. The bleak, desolate landscape is reinforced by the massive pair of iron gates at the front of the compound, gruesomely decorated with the severed heads of angels. And from somewhere, you hear the sound of laughter. Welcome to Avernus. Welcome to Baator. Welcome to Hell.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Kyyt looks around the landscape. It is exactly as one might imagine hell: hot and barren, incapable of production. Just to be here is unnerving enough without the far-off laughter, taunting him. Kyyt tries his best to get a good look at the encampment.

I wonder if they're sufficiently warded against teleportation within their camp. I would tend to think that if they weren't, we'd already be inside, but maybe the fiend was being courteous by giving us a choice...if fiends can be truely courteous.

So where do we go from here? Does anybody see any weak points? I could try to teleport us in and see if that works, or we could always fly over the barrier, although we'll alert every upstart in the camp to our presence that way; not a good start. Perhaps we should just knock on the front gates and hope they answer?

He finishes in a poor attempt at humor.

Let me do the knocking, and there'll be no need for them to answer.

Immersa chuckles softly; there'll be no laughter inside, she's sure.

Let me see if I can spot anything from up here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Immersa's Spot Check to look for an innocuous way in: (1d20+32)[45]
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2010-01-13 at 10:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Zala

"This is...Hell?" She looks around, feeling the heat and noting the barren landscape, and the encampment. "Reminds me of the volcano...though, this is quite a bit more bleak." She checks her vest, belt and cloak, making sure each of her knives is where it's supposed to be, and as the dragon next to her suggests looking for a weak point, she nods. "It'll probably be best to sneak in; we don't really have any idea what we're up against, besides demony-devil things. Stealth would give us a chance to study them a little."
    Morning Star

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Aeris

Gazing at he encampment down below he says "A frontal assault would most likely prove disastrous. We must also remember that we are not the first to attempt this quest, therefore whoever this upstart is...he or she is aware that there have been others that have tried to thwart it's plans." He turns back to the group.

"Our most dangerous foe right now is our lack of knowledge about our enemy. I propose we do not enter the camp now. We should seek out those who are unaligned with the upstart and find out what we need to know."

"I myself have no knowledge of this plane, and do not know where we may go to find a friendly, or at least neutral, source of information." He turns to the mage. "Kyyt. Do you have ways of finding another settlement nearby that we may turn to?"

Spoiler
    Show

How big is the encampment? How far away are we? Are there any magical effects upon the encampment that Aeris can discern?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I do not have any spells left available to me today that will reveal the location of any other settlement within teleport distance. Divinations do not come to me easily, which is why I was so perplexed by the signs that drew us together as group.

I don't know how much good it will do anyways. The celestials cannot interfere, and the other infernal made it quite clear that nobody else down here was willing to lend a hand to the newcomer's destruction. Information would be nice, but they are tongue-tied on that issue. I just don't think there's much to gain, but there is a chance that this upstart lord will have spies or immigrants who will speak to him our presence and intentions.

Immersa continues to stare down at the fortress, looking for any way they might get in subtly.

A teleport would be best, but if they're warded, it could alert them to our presence. Of course, it is hard to summon reinforcements as well. A spell of invisibility could let me fly us in and find a safe spot to begin our infiltration, but it's likely that at least one of the guards will be able to see us regardless.

We could always try to sneak our way in as well, if we could find a way to disguise ourselves adequately. If the new lord truly seeks a peace, he will welcome demons and devils of all sorts.

If we were really lucky, he may even be looking for mortal servants, but I wouldn't bet my life on that one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kyyt doesn't actually have scry on his spell list, which is an oversight on my part, unfortunately. He can blow a wish the following morning if we are willing to wait (this will cause us to lose one of our buffs). A reach, chain, extended greater invisibility would last for 36-44 rounds, which may be enough to get inside, but it's not reliable overall.

Likewise, a teleport or greater teleport would do wonders if they're not warded, so I'll second the list of questions posed by Dangerprawn.

If we do choose to seek out assistance from someone else in the area, perhaps we could join up with a small group of devils/demons seeking to join the newcomer's cause. We'd have a chance beforehand then to ask if devil-worshiping mortals are welcome; if reception is not fond, then at least we will not have taken on a whole fortress to figure it out. An extended Glibness spell, via wish, could last for 440 minutes (7 hours, 20 minutes). Kyyt knows Abyssal and Infernal, and his adjusted bluff score of +66 may be enough to get us in the front door.
    Spoiler
    Show

HA!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Big wolf not good at sneaking" he frowns as if remembering something bad, "however big wolf good at tricking" Big wolf then chuckles to himself.

He then reaches into his backback and pulls out a metal spike. "this is a boom boom spike, it makes fire"

"Its an explosive spike, after being planted in the ground it turns invisible soon after, if something comes close to it, it explodes."

"what sword said"
    Last edited by Complete_Sin; 2010-01-14 at 12:37 AM.
    Help my dragons!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

As Aeris gazes upon the enclosed compound, almost half a mile away, he notices a group patrol of demons and devils exit the compound; they appear to be heading in their general direction.

Kyyt, through his alchemic training, notices that what he had assumed were the iron walls of the compound were actually the rare metallic admixture Virtele, which prevents teleportation past it's barrier. Teleportation once inside the compound was possible, but only within the confines of those walls.

Immersa notices that while there is only one visible entrance to the gate, there is a group of devils guarding what appears to be a otherwise unremarkable section of the wall.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2