New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D&D 3.5 tiers

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5 tiers

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    My point, which was admittedly very unstated, was if there were a Dragon Shaman in Chief's party, then no combat actions(standard/move) would've been needed to stabilize him. A significant improvement on the method they used, which was to roll heal checks, and would've still been competitive with actually casting CLWs or Lay on hands on him instead.
    Except if there was a Dragon Shaman in the party it likely would have been Chief. Especially given Chief's original class-picking criteria of the guy who stands back and doesn't do anything but still gets bothered by everyone.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

In fantasy, the tribe shaman tends to be the advisor rather than the actual leader.

Honestly though, I would roll Dragon Shaman and DFA into one class; same with Knight and Paladin. Has anyone done that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    In fantasy, the tribe shaman tends to be the advisor rather than the actual leader.

Honestly though, I would roll Dragon Shaman and DFA into one class; same with Knight and Paladin. Has anyone done that?
    Folding Knight and Marshall seems reasonable. Paladin is a different concept.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know that it's relevant to the divine mind, but a lot of us consider the paladin tier four.
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Incanur View Post
    I don't know that it's relevant to the divine mind, but a lot of us consider the paladin tier four.
    Opinions vary, but I think that's a fairly generous ranking. Paladin is useful for 2 - 5 levels, but rarely taken beyond that if options are available, in my experience.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Opinions vary, but I think that's a fairly generous ranking. Paladin is useful for 2 - 5 levels, but rarely taken beyond that if options are available, in my experience.
    Generous application of feats (Sword of the Arcane Order, Battle Blessing) and ACFs (Charging Smite) can yield a pretty sound tier 4; it can be optimized for charge damage pretty easily, free quickens on your Paladin spells is always good, and you get a variety of low-level utilities from Arcane Order. Paladin spell progression means you get them far too late for them to be a major power at the level, but it's a huge step better than not having them.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

The alternate mounts in the DMG also increase the paladin's effectiveness when usable. Level 6 gives you a dire wolf or unicorn, 7 gives you a rhino, and 8 unlocks the dire lion. Each special mount gets +2 HD and +4 natural armor to begin with.
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incanur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    As such, if I did this right most people should think their favorite class is a little too low, whether that class is Fighter or Monk or Rogue or whatever else
    I know that was my reaction to seeing Paladin in tier 5.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Passive auto-stabilization is a big enough feature to warrant mentioning.
    The Dragon Shaman's healing ability doesn't auto-stabilize. It explicitly states that it works like natural healing. And natural healing is listed as not being able to stabilize. :(

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Even if the GM ruled that the healing from the dragon shaman's ability didn't stabilize, it would still be +1 hp every round, which is enough to prevent them from bleeding to death.

Also, that ruling would be highly suspect anyway:

A creature with fast healing has the extraordinary ability to regain hit points at an exceptional rate. Except for what is noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.

At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description).
    Since there is no exception made for when bleeding out, that works even at negative HP... so fast healing does, in fact, auto-stabilize.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2010-12-22 at 01:23 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Still, bleeding to death like that is very low levels only. Pretty soon that 10 hp cushion really doesn't matter much at all. And at the levels where it really does, only going to half HP means you don't get very much at all most of the time.

JaronK

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

In my experience, downed opponents get ignored, so that 10 hp cushion isn't so much a cushion as it is a 'somebody get to him before he bleeds to death' timer.

That being said, I still think the dragon shaman healing ability is kinda meh. I've never had any interest in playing one. If I want to play a character with dragon based magical powers, I play a sorceror (doesn't even need any reflavoring).
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Since there is no exception made for when bleeding out, that works even at negative HP... so fast healing does, in fact, auto-stabilize.
    Uh, let's be careful with our terminology here. I think we are actually in agreement, but using "auto-stabilize" mis-characterizes it.

If I get the gist of what you're saying, it's this: since the unconscious person "bleeds out" at a rate of 1 HP per round, and since the Dragon Shaman's healing aura will heal 1 HP a round, it's essentially like stabilizing. They'll lose a point and gain a point every round, so it's a wash.

Yeah?

If that's what you mean, then we are in agreement. Having said that, I'd never call that auto-stabilization, as that implies very different math. If we told people to treat it as if the character did stabilize, then they would not do the "lose one point, gain one point, it's a wash" thing. Instead, they'd say, "OK, stabilized on round 1 of being in the aura, so they will stop losing points each round. For every subsequent round, they'll gain 1 HP, and be conscious quickly."

It's just my opinion, but "It's a wash, so they stay at exactly the negative number of hit points they have" is very different from "I'm getting more HP every round, and might even be up in time to help finish this battle."

That difference was big enough for one of my players to drop his Dragon Shaman and roll up a new character. I didn't blame him.

I've thought about house-ruling it the way that Lesser Vigor works -- the text for that spell also calls it fast-healing (I think) but makes an exception, stating that it does stabilize. Having that spell as part of the official rules makes it easier (for me) to house rule that way for the Dragon Shaman. But it is a house rule, even if no DMs realize it.
    Last edited by aboyd; 2010-12-22 at 01:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what he described in the first paragraph, but not the one you quoted.

In the one you quoted, he was describing it as being an over-write effect(-1 for non-stabilized, and then overwritten as +1 for Fast Healing, so in the end, +1, not +0).
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

15. - Top - End - #45
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Troll Patrol: This thread was well past the expiration date when it was granted undeath. The discussion that's sprung up since then has no bearing on the original question either. I'm putting this thread back in the ground. However, if someone would like to start a new thread to continue this discussion of the Tier system, they may.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!