New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

I really hope this project don't die...

Hey! I welcome all of you to our Comic Lab in the Playground!

But what is this comic lab, you ask? Well... As you may noticed we have a nice community of amateur comic creators over here and the main goal of this lab is to bring this community closer.

Its a place not only for us to expose our art, but to expose our ideas and techniques for comics (and also the art ).

• Got a character idea? Bring it over here!
    • Got a comic idea? Well, just bring it over here!
    • Got a short story of a few comics? What the hell! Bring it over here!
    • Got some text you want to turn into a comic and need an artist? Well, you can try to ask it over here.
    • Got talent for art but no idea for a comic? Well, come over here!
    • Got some sort of tutorial to help out with some detail? Just bring it over here!

Need me to explain it a little more? Here is a comic explaining it for me!

Ok, just a few more things:
    1. I'll try to keep an index of stuff, so don't worry about it.
    2. There are no actual rules here (except the forum rules).
    3. This isn't an ABR clone. Sure, you can create a collaborative story/comic here. But if things start to get to close to ABR why don't just move it there?

IMPORTANT THINGS (Updated often, please take some time to read it once in a while):
    Spoiler
    Show

1. PhantomFox is current looking for an artist to help turning his story into a comic.
    2. Maximum Zersk is current looking for opinions about his idea for a story (post here).
    3. BRC is looking for input for a "Sniper" design. (post here)
    4. Bayar wants to discuss the possibility of a "First Person Comic" (post here)
    5. Bayar wants to discuss the idea of a comic inspired by "Nerd Elves". (post here)
    6. Maximum Zersk wants some input on his image for what appears to be a "Mech Kitten" Comic (post here) (Big image)
    7. BRC wants to discuss designs for fight scenes. (post here)
    8. Tiffanie Lirle wants input on some of the design for her new comic (post here)
    9. The Q is looking for input on the art and ideas of his upcoming comic (post here) (Follow up: 1 2 3)
    10. BRC wants to discuss ideas for "point across" with a gun designs (post here)
    11. Darklord Bright wants input on his design for an upcoming project (post here)
    12. Gimliggamer wants help with a plot. (post here)
    13. SinisterPenguin wants input on his new comic project. (post here)
    14. Felyndiira wants some input on her Child-Teen design (posts 1 2 3)
    15. SinisterPenguin wants help with a fedora hat design (post here)
    16. The Q wants input on his upcoming comic (post here)
    17. Darklord Bright wants input on his art upgrades (post here)
    18. Maximum Zersk wants input on his Kitten-People templates (post here)
    19. The Randomizer wants input on a Metroid Sprite Comic idea. (post here)
    20. Maximum Zersk wants input on the main characters of his upcoming comic (post here)
    21. licoot wants some input on his upcoming comic. (post 1 2)

Tips:

>> Checkout Silverraptor' contest for his comic Idiosyncrasy. <<

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I would like to initiate a contest for my comic, Idiosyncrasy. Anyone who can develop a unique style uniform for a black op covert of the trogodytes shall recieve a cameo appearance in my comic in the future. They will, however, need to pm the character they want the cameo appearance with.

Contest will last until I need to use the uniform Black op Trogodytes. (So you guys have to guess when. Pretty much, when it seems that they are getting closer, that's when you guys need to step up.)

Hope to see you all compete.

>> UNIVERSE CREATION! <<

We are making a universe, feel free to join us if you want, there is no need to draw anything.

First post on the universe creations

Votes for the factions are currently on. Check it here.

Votes are now over. Check the result and the next step here.

About the new comics from the lab:
    Spoiler
    Show

What is a "new comic from the lab"?

"New comics from the lab" are the comics that have, some how, started here. It may started from collaboration, new found partnership, input from other comic authors, etc. If on it's early moments that comic was here, it is a "NCFTL" (New Comic From The Lab) and The Comic Lab in the Playground support those comics.

My comic started here, but it isn't on the main post yet. What should I do?

Feel free to PM me about it. I'll be adding a banner of every NCFTL on the following list.

New Comics From The Lab:

From CrimsonAngel and icastflare!
    Last edited by MethosH; 2010-03-30 at 05:14 PM.
    It's BACK!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Damn! I totally missed this getting approved. I was still waiting!
    So, I'm going to post something interesting here later.
    It's BACK!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Does it have to be in stick style? I've been looking for an artist for a story of mine I want to turn into a comic, but everyone I know or have asked is either not interested or busy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

most of the comic writers here (about 100% I believe) prefer to be the writer AND author. You might have better luck finding a real-life graphics artist.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Funny you should say that. My Comic, Interesting Combinations (Awaiting Approval; how long does it usually take?) involves a Gestalt Campaign. I've got a cast of characters set up, but I need a random reason for adventuring. Not really anything major, because I want to focus more on comedy, but a motive. Some MacGuffin or Plot coupon..

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

This sounds very interesting. I will be around to use my critique-powers whenever needed.

Heck, I might even contribute some of my own work!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    This sounds very interesting. I will be around to use my critique-powers whenever needed.

DO EET!!!

Well, I have an idea, that's not the usual adventurer story.

It is approximately one hundred years into the future. Cats and dogs are at war, fighting for reasons lost to time. Just recently, mechas were invented and are now beginning to fight.

The story follows a feline soldier and his friends and teammates.

So, what do you guys think?

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Pen tool sucks butt making limbs and anything ment to be one line. I accidentaly found if you click the screen once with the pencil tool, then click somewere else on the screen, it will make an open line segment. I use it for mouths to. Ajust nodes accordingly.
    ____

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    DO EET!!!

It is approximately one hundred years into the future. Cats and dogs are at war, fighting for reasons lost to time. Just recently, mechas were invented and are now beginning to fight.

I'd need to hear more, you should also explore things a little more, it should be more than "A war, where one side happens to be cats, and the other happens to be dogs". Think about Cats and Dogs.

Cats are stalkers and hunters. They hunt alone. Dogs are related to pack hunters, very social animals compared to the more territorial cats.
    This should reflect in your characterization, I'm imagination the Dogs fight in well coordinated groups, while Cats prefer small guerrilla units. For Dogs, think about the roman legions for inspiration, for cats, look at the viet cong.

Also, remember the purpose of Mecha's. They are not Tanks, neither are they Airplanes, if you want somthing that fulfills those purposes, it's cheaper and easier to build a Tank or airplane than a mech that fills the same role. Anything a Mecha does should be something only a mech could do. Power Armor is a better route to take here, use them not as tanks, but as better infantry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #10

Hey to all! So nice to see you all joing the lab!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Does it have to be in stick style? I've been looking for an artist for a story of mine I want to turn into a comic, but everyone I know or have asked is either not interested or busy.
    It doesn't. This is a place for everything we want to create that is related to comics. Many comics technics are independent of style by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    most of the comic writers here (about 100% I believe) prefer to be the writer AND author. You might have better luck finding a real-life graphics artist.
    Yeah... Its really hard to find an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Funny you should say that. My Comic, Interesting Combinations (Awaiting Approval; how long does it usually take?) involves a Gestalt Campaign. I've got a cast of characters set up, but I need a random reason for adventuring. Not really anything major, because I want to focus more on comedy, but a motive. Some MacGuffin or Plot coupon..
    1 week or so. It depends on the mods personal life really.

Well... Random quests are about finding something in order to save something or retrive something to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post

Welcome a board

DO EET!!!

I think it reminds me of MAUS for no particular reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    Pen tool sucks butt making limbs and anything ment to be one line. I accidentaly found if you click the screen once with the pencil tool, then click somewere else on the screen, it will make an open line segment. I use it for mouths to. Ajust nodes accordingly.
    Nice tip, I may put it on a yet to come index.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I'd need to hear more, you should also explore things a little more, it should be more than "A war, where one side happens to be cats, and the other happens to be dogs". Think about Cats and Dogs.

Cats are stalkers and hunters. They hunt alone. Dogs are related to pack hunters, very social animals compared to the more territorial cats.
    This should reflect in your characterization, I'm imagination the Dogs fight in well coordinated groups, while Cats prefer small guerrilla units. For Dogs, think about the roman legions for inspiration, for cats, look at the viet cong.

Also, remember the purpose of Mecha's. They are not Tanks, neither are they Airplanes, if you want somthing that fulfills those purposes, it's cheaper and easier to build a Tank or airplane than a mech that fills the same role. Anything a Mecha does should be something only a mech could do. Power Armor is a better route to take here, use them not as tanks, but as better infantry.
    First he must decide if he wants to go with cats or "felines". It is true that cats are stalkers and hunters, but I don't think they necessarily hunt alone. Just because most people have just one cat it doesn't mean they aren't social. I'm not entire sure about the domestical cat, but there are felines in the wild that have strong comunities, like the lions. Sure some of them are lonely hunters, but some do group together.
    It's BACK!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post

Hmm... I like the idea of different styles of fighting. I WAS thinking of adding a few more factions, such as a beaver nation that was industrial in nature, or maybe an eagle nation based on Blitzkrieg tactics, attacking swiftly, and leaving just as fast.

Anyway, I was thinking of the cats as mainly elite forces, such as the SAS. Of course, this would mean a smaller group. So, I'm thinking of the cat's nation being smaller, considering that a large amount of cat's would either be a part of a city-state, or go rogue. This, I guess, could mean that many of them could be hired mercenaries.

Actually, that could mean one of my characters could be a mercenary working for Nation C (The cat nation.) I like that. Another character.

On the dog's side, the Roman Empire could be a good inspiration, not only in tactics, but possibly in culture also. This could be a reason for war. Clashing of culture and idealogy, with the dog's more family-based and socially-based, with the cats being a more loner style, Nation C being odd for their kind, yet still based more on smaller, elite forces than Nation D (The dog nation.) with larger and more formal armies.

As for the mechas; well, I was thinking of making them similar to the Space Marine Dreadnought than the GUNDAMs. I guess a Power Armor would be better. Thanks for all the help.

You know, I think this thread is a really good idea. It'll help a lot of fancomic authors with ideas for comics.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Hmm... I like the idea of different styles of fighting. I WAS thinking of adding a few more factions, such as a beaver nation that was industrial in nature, or maybe an eagle nation based on Blitzkrieg tactics, attacking swiftly, and leaving just as fast.

Anyway, I was thinking of the cats as mainly elite forces, such as the SAS. Of course, this would mean a smaller group. So, I'm thinking of the cat's nation being smaller, considering that a large amount of cat's would either be a part of a city-state, or go rogue. This, I guess, could mean that many of them could be hired mercenaries.

Actually, that could mean one of my characters could be a mercenary working for Nation C (The cat nation.) I like that. Another character.

On the dog's side, the Roman Empire could be a good inspiration, not only in tactics, but possibly in culture also. This could be a reason for war. Clashing of culture and idealogy, with the dog's more family-based and socially-based, with the cats being a more loner style, Nation C being odd for their kind, yet still based more on smaller, elite forces than Nation D (The dog nation.) with larger and more formal armies.

As for the mechas; well, I was thinking of making them similar to the Space Marine Dreadnought than the GUNDAMs. I guess a Power Armor would be better. Thanks for all the help.
    I really like where this is going. But how about a nation of rats?

You know, I think this thread is a really good idea. It'll help a lot of fancomic authors with ideas for comics.
    We kind of owe this thread to you :)
    I said to myself "one "yes" and I'll do it!"

By the way... I've added a "tips" section and an "important" section on the main post. Please remember to check the "important" one often.. it is important.
    Last edited by MethosH; 2010-01-14 at 08:55 PM.
    It's BACK!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    I really like where this is going. But how about a nation of rats?

We kind of owe this thread to you :)
    I said to myself "one "yes" and I'll do it!"
    Razi!

Just kidding, but I'll have to think about that for a little.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Razi!

Just kidding, but I'll have to think about that for a little.
    Before you do anything be sure to read MAUS
    It's BACK!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Just a-gonna post a pic here to demonstrate how much my art has improved over the years.

Protagonist:

Becomes:

Forum oldies should recall the source.

What does this add? Keep on truckin', and accept criticism.
    Last edited by Phase; 2010-01-14 at 09:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Before you do anything be sure to read MAUS
    The one with the Cazis? So I know what I could add or the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Just a-gonna post a pic here to demonstrate how much my art has improved over the years.

Protagonist:
    -snip-
    Becomes:
    -snip-

Nice! The only problem I can fine is that the eye still looks a bit odd and the feet seem a little bit too small.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Protagonist:
    -snip
    Becomes:
    -snip-

Wait, does this mean Dragon is gonna start again soon, or am I just hoping for something that has no hope? Cause I really liked Dragon.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

18. - Top - End - #18

Protagonist:

Becomes:

Ooh.. I do remember that comic.

3 things about the new dragon:

1 - Eyes look.. weird... But maybe you are changing styles, I don't know.
    2 - I've noticed the lack of "hands/claws" on the second one, don't that limit the character even more?
    3 - I kind o miss the bones on the back of the dragon.

Oh! I just found out what made the eye look wrong... the horns! you have 2 horns and 1 eyes on the same point of view, that gives the viewer a notion of distortion and deformation.

The one with the Cazis? So I know what I could add or the other way around?
    It's a comic that uses the natural conflict of two species to ilustrate the conflict among two groups. And I think that is part of what you are trying to achive
    Last edited by MethosH; 2010-01-14 at 09:51 PM.
    It's BACK!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

If we're giving Inkscape tips, I was able to create dreadlocks individually by making a pencil stroke really thick, using "curve" nodes to make them wavy, and then converting the stroke to a path, which basically puts a border around it.
    Note that this won't really work for characters with black hair.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

In inkscape, I have always used the pencil tool for lines, and then edited the nodes. What has everyone else been doing, because Crimson has apparently discovered this "accidentally," making me think that not everyone is using that.

As for phase's dragon, I like the old one better for some reason.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rae Artemi View Post
    Wait, does this mean Dragon is gonna start again soon, or am I just hoping for something that has no hope? Cause I really liked Dragon.
    Ugh, looking back, if I were to resume dragon, it'd have to be from scratch. The plot is too drawn out, the characters were gonna be slow to introduce...

I suppose I could try a one-shot comic with a new... most things, see how it turns out...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Nice project... I wish to get involved when I have some time...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't that just directly emulating the functions of the Pen tool? How is it any better when you're using the Pencil tool?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

All I use is the pen tool i cant use the pencil tool especially one my labtop I cant draw a ... anything at all with it

But also my are aint that great anyway
    Last edited by someonenonotyou; 2010-01-15 at 12:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Thinking about it now I belive that CrimsonAngel said "Pen tool" when he meant "Pencil tool".
    It is hard to make a line with the pencil tool unless you do this "trick".

Ugh, looking back, if I were to resume dragon, it'd have to be from scratch. The plot is too drawn out, the characters were gonna be slow to introduce...

I suppose I could try a one-shot comic with a new... most things, see how it turns out...
    I would love to see that comic returning

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    If we're giving Inkscape tips, I was able to create dreadlocks individually by making a pencil stroke really thick, using "curve" nodes to make them wavy, and then converting the stroke to a path, which basically puts a border around it.
    Note that this won't really work for characters with black hair.
    Can you post the result?
    Last edited by MethosH; 2010-01-15 at 01:04 PM.
    It's BACK!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Isn't that just directly emulating the functions of the Pen tool? How is it any better when you're using the Pencil tool?
    Pen makes a closed shape. Pencil makes an open line.
    ____

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Pen makes a closed shape.
    Double click to create an end point.

28. - Top - End - #28

Pen makes a closed shape. Pencil makes an open line.
    right click also create and end point without closing the shape
    It's BACK!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Can you post the result?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

If you hold control (or shift, I can't really remember at the moment), while using the pencil tool (when clicking then clicking elsewhere), it creates straight lines up/down, left/right, and a few diagonals. Holding control also woeks when you are only trying to reduce one dimension on a rectangle.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive