New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Just in case...

(NOTE: THIS STRIP IS IN MEDIA RES)
    Panel 1
    Sean Decimal is seen running down a hallway in his house. There's laser shots going all around him.

Panel 2
    A close up of an AMEN minion is seen shooting his laser rifle.

Panel 3
    Sean Decimal opens a door, and goes through it. He shuts the lights off.

Panel 4
    Sean's eyes can be seen, and so can be another pair of eyes.

Sean Decimal: Brown hair. He wears glasses, a red jacket, with a blue shirt underneath. He wears black pants, and brown boots.

AMEN Minion: Blue Helmet. Gas Mask. Blue suit of armor with shoulder pads, carries a sterotypical laser rifle.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

1. PM it to him. You've just spoilered it for all of us.
    2. Show some appreciation. Say thanks.
    3. Make it fun for him. Suggest some extra details that he could do to relieve the boredom.
    4. Specify where the components are, approximately, in the panel. Top right? Top left? Bottom right? Middle?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    1. PM it to him. You've just spoilered it for all of us.
    2. Show some appreciation. Say thanks.
    3. Make it fun for him. Suggest some extra details that he could do to relieve the boredom.
    4. Specify where the components are, approximately, in the panel. Top right? Top left? Bottom right? Middle?
    Okay, thanks for the tips
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #964

Oh, also, how can a person open a door and go through it in the same panel? A better structure IMHO would be:

1. Close up of Sean's hand on a door handle, then
    2. Sean goes through the door.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    Oh, also, how can a person open a door and go through it in the same panel? A better structure IMHO would be:

1. Close up of Sean's hand on a door handle, then
    2. Sean goes through the door.
    Alright. I sent him the PM with the script, along with character descrptions, thanks, and permission to change the script and panels however he likes, as he is the artist
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #966
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey, I don't suppose there's a colorist out there who's looking for a comic to color? Like, say, this one?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

weird, I've had a few more ideas for comics, but I don't really feel like doing them, so I'm just going to post the ideas here:

Munchkinz

A comic about what would really happen if a bunch of munchkins existed in a OOTS-style world, featuring the obligatory: rogue skill monkey, batman wizard, dumb fighter, bard diplomancer, codzilla cleric and Nup-Nup, the kobold paladin who tried to become Pun-Pun but failed because Pazuzu doesn't exist in this world.

Age of Rebellion

a comic about....five adventurers who go around saving goblins and orcs and other monstrous races from tyranny? and redeeming them?

Fort Nowhere

A comic about a few soldiers, in a fort, in the middle of nowhere, dealing with the various not-so-large threats that... "attack" it. Inspired by red vs blue.

The Adventures of Lelk and Al

The tale of a freakishly lucky elf rogue and his not-so-lucky paladin half-elf buddy Al as they try to pull off this adventurer thing.....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #968

Age of Rebellion's probably been done before, though I'm not sure. The others sound awesome, especially Fort Nowhere.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

I'm starting to think up a webcomic of my own. I know i've heard the basic premise (Magic oppressed by tech) somewhere before but i wanted to see what was thought of it.

It's a world that was formerly a dnd-like, magic based world but has since moved away from magic, into science. It began oppressing magic users a few generations back, to the point where being a level 1 sorcerer will get you gassed, if you're less than lucky. (If not lucky - mind-controlled via parasite [Yay Animorph reference!] to hunt down fellow spellcasters in the regime. In fact, absolutely nobody would be surprised if a spellcaster in Regime wear were to knock on their front door)

The following contains plot details. I haven't worked them all out yet, so all of the following is subject to change.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first main character i thought of is a second generation Dread Necromancer (spellcasting abilities are sometimes passed by bloodline, depending on the specific type of magic) fully aware that sooner or later, her powers will become too great and uncontrollable to keep hidden.

The second is a paladin (referred to as 'Paladin' by the group) who CAN remain hidden, but refuses to do nothing under the regime. So he essentially avoids using his own powers whenever possible. It's worth noting that an oath-taking spellcasting class (like a paladin) is somewhat like a car made of solid gold: You CAN see it, but it's rare enough that you don't. This is largely because their oaths require them to undertake certain actions, which is rather counterproductive when trying to hide. This particular paladin has only managed to survive for as long he has by making his magic look like technology when he must use it. He will lose his legs eyesight very early in the story, which provides personal motivation to bring down the regime, in addition to his paladin oaths.

The two meet up in a bar one day and chat a little, reminiscing over their lives (largely focusing on the magic-hunters) which will allow the world to be introduced. I considered a voice-over for this, but it seemed like it would be... out of place.

The Paladin's actions have recently attracted the attention of the city guard, however, so they bust in to kill him. Insert chase scene here. They get cornered at the edge of town by
    The oppressive power doesn't have a name yet but i'm leaning towards calling it 'The Regime'. The main enemies the main characters will face will come from Mage-hunters and occasionally infested spellcasters.

Now, there's a bit of a running joke here that the world has moved away from strict DnD interpretation because it's too much about the crunch, and a lot of names, rules and titles are hangovers from that era. The ruler, for example, would be titled 'The GM', which in this world would stand for 'Global Master'.

Would anybody be interested in this?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-05-09 at 12:44 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    Age of Rebellion's probably been done before, though I'm not sure. The others sound awesome, especially Fort Nowhere.
    well Fort Nowhere we have....

- a new recruit with a sword and shield who thinks hes gonna be a hero

- a piker wielding a spear who is the gate operator and arguing buddy of.....

- ....a crossbow man who is also Fort Nowhere's lookout

- and finally a hammer-wielding commander whose basically a Sarge expy, except with some sprinkling of a black watch commander from A Song of Ice and Fire.

their enemies include, a group of four bickering orcs who try to attack the fort (why? cause their orcs, according to their Chief its "what we do") and fail repeatedly, some elves who just want to give them fruit, bandits, and delusional mercenaries who think they are adventurers who keep asking the soldiers to give them quests.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Whoops, forgot an idea...

The Last and First Spell

In a world where the Last Spell sealed away all magic, Prince Ganel IV of the Kingdom of Moltara is about to come of age and be crowned, to succeed his father who has placed all his hopes on his second son since the assassination of his wife and first son sixteen years ago....however the Prince dreams of finding the Last Spell and using it to free the magic all over again.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Pixie in the Playground

Inkscape seems to be the favored program for drawing OotS-style avatars, but for people who would rather use a different program, GIMP, the gnu (read: open-source/free) version of photoshop works fairly well for me. A few pointers on doing that:
    -If you have a template, say of a specific hair-style, try putting another layer underneath the hair template where you would want the hair-color to be. That way, when you want to use that template, you can color the lower layer, merge the upper layer down, and not have to deal with blurriness or airbrush
    -You can convert paths to selections, and vice-versa.
    -you can make speech bubbles by putting a selection around the text, turning that selection into a path, dragging part of that path to the character who is speaking, and stroking the path (I recommend 2pt lines).
    -Anti-alias is under filters>enhance
    If anyone else is using/interested in using GIMP, I would be happy to share templates with them.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Need opinions on the font. While it's readable, I'm wondering if it's a tad too grainy?

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, I think the font as a whole isn't that good: the letters are too closely spaced and irregular. I suggest changing to a more "standard" comic font. There are nice ones freely available on Dafont.

From my own experience, picking a font for an OotS-style comic is rather hard. Bizarrely, Comic Sans MS seems to be the most appropriate.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2011-05-21 at 12:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the font in question is literally called "I hate comic sans" so..

I'll give the site a look. Cheers.

Edit - Aha, I found a solution on my own. I just raised the letter spacing by 0.3, the change is subtle. But it's there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2011-05-21 at 12:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, still pretty hard to read, as the letters are kinda "brittle" looking. Maybe try something with a bit more mass, like Webletter BB? >_>

(Also maybe try speech bubbles that aren't rounded, as they get dangerously close to the words at the edges. Maybe go for something more rectangular with rounded edges? Never really understood why they're ovals in the first place.)

Edit: Incidentally, there's a lot of stuff in the opening post from last year. How much of that did expire by now?
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-05-21 at 04:37 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

17. - Top - End - #977
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Try a 0.5 or a 0.6 spacing.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Hm, still pretty hard to read, as the letters are kinda "brittle" looking. Maybe try something with a bit more mass, like Webletter BB? >_>
    I wholeheartedly agree with this.

(Also maybe try speech bubbles that aren't rounded, as they get dangerously close to the words at the edges. Maybe go for something more rectangular with rounded edges? Never really understood why they're ovals in the first place.)
    Ovals are more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion, although you've got to do them right. Be sure that your text is aligned to centre and that there is a balanced, constant margin of white between the speech and the edge.

Edit: Incidentally, there's a lot of stuff in the opening post from last year. How much of that did expire by now?
    The whole universe creation thing is pining for the fjords and MethosH is missing in action (and as a result the post hasn't been updated in ages), but the rest should be fine.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Banned

How many people here play/are interested in Exalted?

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    there is already keychain of creation, Tales of the Mastah, and Agents of Yu-Shan running, none of them are on this site and the first two I don't when they will update though.....

so yes, go ahead make an Exalted comic, better than Yet Another DnD One.
    I'd make one myself but I have no ideas for one and I'd much rather play it.

edit: also, new ideas:

A Dwarven Sky

Nodra Copperfist is a dwarf that wants to fly. The dwarves around him are of the stern opinion that dwarves should keep their feet on the ground- but Nodra is determined to fulfill his dream!

The High Ages

So our normal fantasy protagonist in the Middle Ages is out to save the world and yadda-yadda- but then suddenly he gets sent back in time on a one way trip to the generic lost fantasy utopia in the past that always gets destroyed in a cataclysm to bring in the current setting- however the protagonist sees an opportunity- an opportunity to avert the cataclysm and save the High Ages.

Now if only he could figure out what that cataclysm was....
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-06-02 at 10:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #981

Right, well I've just started a webcomic, and was looking for some general feedback. I've hosted the comic on deviantART. The comic is called Masks, the plot is based around two characters interactions in the game mentioned on the first page.

Link to the comic
    Last edited by Zain; 2011-06-05 at 11:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    I'm interested in Exalted and read Keychain of Creation, but I don't play it nor know how many do.

To the Detective-mobile!

*Cue 1960s Batman theme song*

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    A Dwarven Sky

Nodra Copperfist is a dwarf that wants to fly. The dwarves around him are of the stern opinion that dwarves should keep their feet on the ground- but Nodra is determined to fulfill his dream!

The High Ages

So our normal fantasy protagonist in the Middle Ages is out to save the world and yadda-yadda- but then suddenly he gets sent back in time on a one way trip to the generic lost fantasy utopia in the past that always gets destroyed in a cataclysm to bring in the current setting- however the protagonist sees an opportunity- an opportunity to avert the cataclysm and save the High Ages.

Now if only he could figure out what that cataclysm was....
    Dwarven sky sounds interesting, although it may really depend on execution and the direction it takes. But it still looks like a really good idea.

The High Ages sounds good as well, allbeit a tad siilar to the Dragonlance Legends. But distinct enough that it sounds fun and interesting too.

I'd provide critisism, but I suck at doing that to ideas. So I'll just say they look good.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

23. - Top - End - #983

@Zain: Sounds good. Reminds me of Epic (the book [and the game of the same name in the book]).

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post

Dwarven sky sounds interesting, although it may really depend on execution and the direction it takes. But it still looks like a really good idea.

The High Ages sounds good as well, allbeit a tad siilar to the Dragonlance Legends. But distinct enough that it sounds fun and interesting too.

I'd provide critisism, but I suck at doing that to ideas. So I'll just say they look good.
    I have yet another comic idea:

The Literal DM
    There have been players throughout history who have complained about various aspects of DnD. However there are some unfortunate players who have met The Literal DM, a sadistic DM who delights in addressing their complaints and showing the twisted outcomes of them until the players eat their words....

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

New Comic Idea!

The Game:
    2004: Baxter Studio, a small video-game company known for their "Puzzling Physics" series of casual games, secretly begins work on their biggest project yet: an MMORPG known as "Multiverse".
    2006: Baxter Studio officially announces "Multiverse" at E3, complete with a gameplay trailer. People are stunned by this bold new project.
    2007: Baxter Studio releases "Multiverse" to high critical acclaim. People love this new game, and some have called it "The WoW Killer". A month after release, the first RP server is set up
    2008: The Multiverse gains more players then WoW, and soon, it has the most players of any MMORPG. Also, the first free expansion is released "The Crowning", allowing players to create their own cities and kingdoms;
    2009: Two more free add-ons are released. "Drive" allows players to drive various vehicles. "The World's Biggest Dungeon" adds in the biggest dungeon in MMO, perhaps videogame, history. It's located far beneath the surface of the GameWorld, and stretches from one end of it to the other. Even in 2011, only 1/4 of the GameWorld has been explored.
    2010: The newest add-on "We're in SPAAAAAAAAACE!" is released. It allows players to create their own rocket ships, space stations, explore the moon (and do battle with the various aliens on it), and explore the small solar system the GameWorld is in. Also, the graphics of the game are heavily improved.
    2011: Baxter Studio announces the newest add-on, "Invaders from the Second Dimension" will come out at the end of summer. At the same time, a new player creates their hero on the main RP Server (Thunderstruck)...

The beginning of the comic (as in, the first three strips) revolves around the creation of the game, while the rest of the comic revolves around the new player and his wacky mis-adventures (including but not limited to: activating a nuke to see what happens, awakening an ancient boss monster located in a volcano near one of the largest cities, and exploring the World's Biggest Dungeon)
    Last edited by Maxios; 2011-06-14 at 12:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

New idea:

Ultramega Grim Dark

A parody of the other side of RPGs- namely the dark, divided everything is doomed side where the settings for some reason is always on the edge of being DOOOOOOMED but never quite getting there for some reason or another.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

Need a few ideas if anyone could spare them please?

I'm trying to draw an imp character of sorts, which in the universe is question would resemble a mischievous human child. I'm trying to add something that makes it more apparent that it's demonic in origin though. But I don't want to go all out devil horns and tail. Because that's just silly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2011-07-29 at 02:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post

I'm trying to draw an imp character of sorts, which in the universe is question would resemble a mischievous human child. I'm trying to add something that makes it more apparent that it's demonic in origin though. But I don't want to go all out devil horns and tail. Because that's just silly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    You could give him super-slicked-back hair and maybe very subtle fangs...
    Last edited by Zexion; 2011-07-29 at 03:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    [img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm296/kroogle1/El1.png[img]

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Fangs, as zexion said. Also you could make his flesh a slight reddish tinge? or maybe give his eyes a subtle glow?

Something you could definitely do is make him look sickly, but that might translate to undead to the viewer as opposed to demonic.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #990
    Troll in the Playground

You could give him a shadow that look a little off (slightly different from the character maybe or even no shadow at all.)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-07-29 at 07:32 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-