Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 1007
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Well, here's a draft of my concept. I'll add more stuff later:

    The Columbian Confederation


    Left to right: the Confederal Flag and the Space Colony Unity

    Millennia ago, a nuclear holocaust between the two superpowers of Earth nearly extinguished the human race if not for the fact that had been averted at the last minute. Realising how swiftly the extinction of humanity could have occurred, both sides agreed that something had to be done to prevent any future cataclysm. They combined their scientific knowledge, and using state-of-the-art technology, built twelve gigantic space colonies capable of interstellar travel, crewed by the best of the species, and sent them to spread the human race across the stars. And so was born Project Columbus.

    Flash forward thousands of years later. The mission performed far better than the initial previsions. It was so well executed that the scope of Project Columbus expanded well beyond its original purpose, and essentially became a nomadic civilisation leaving the print of human presence on every terraformable world it could find the Columbian Confederation.

    The Columbian Confederation includes mainly the original twelve and the more recently constructed non-sedentary space colonies, along with their attached spacecrafts. While the worlds they settled are technically part of the alliance, they are generally left to fend for themselves and are largely ignored.
    Damn. That isn't actually a bad idea, but kinds of conflicts with my idea and sounds like would limit the use of humans for others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Sorry, I phrased that somewhat ambiguously. I meant to ask how "hard" the science is in this setting. Will we have a foundation in real science, or is it all just fanciful nonsense? How "realistic" will the setting be?
    I think as realistic as we can without interfering with the fun of this project.
    It's BACK!

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mad Mask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Westmount

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    Damn. That isn't actually a bad idea, but kinds of conflicts with my idea and sounds like would limit the use of humans for others.
    It doesn't have to, they can co-exist with Earth. After all, it's been almost a thousand years, and I doubt that Earth would just have sent them and then stayed in its hole until the end of time. "Reuniting" with their former brethren would make for interesting encounters.

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    icastflare!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Divide
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    just a question, but do we have to draw anything related to the idea? I cant draw to save my life but I have an interesting idea for this.
    Avatar of a Drow priestess by Teutonic Knight.

    This is where I put my writings. Want to take a look?

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by icastflare! View Post
    just a question, but do we have to draw anything related to the idea? I cant draw to save my life but I have an interesting idea for this.
    You don't have to. I'm sure many of us would be glad to draw any good idea you have
    It's BACK!

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SinisterPenguin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    *Stuff*
    This certainly sounds like an interesting idea. I'd love to participate.

    But before we go further (and I apologize if this has been brought up already, I sorta skimmed the last page)...what sort of FTL travel are we using for this 'verse? Wormholes? "Gates"? Alcubierre drives/warp drives? Teleporting? Something else entirely?

    This is, of course, assuming that we are using FTL travel at all. Slower-than-light is a possibility as well, though FTL would of course make things a great deal more convenient.
    Avatar Battle Royale:
    Spoiler
    Show


    ABR signature by Darklord Bright.
    __________________________________________________

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dogmantra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    With Uncle Crassius

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    I'm working on art just for gits and shiggles but I can't for the life of me do my idea in semi-oots style as all the other stuff has been, so I doubt the art styles will mesh that well.

    First though, I have text:

    Araphinis Mons (Elfishness) is a disease that causes the carrier's body to change in appearance, to resemble that of a mythological elf. The disease can be passed on to the carrier's offspring, who have much more pronounced symptoms, and some that first generation do not suffer from.

    Symptoms begin to appear around two weeks after infection and after this point there is no currently available cure for the disease. The carrier's jaw becomes thinner, and more pronounced along with the cheekbones, his ears become slightly elongated and pointed, and his eyes widen. These symptoms have more effect the younger the infected, as they are still growing and prone to change, with some middle aged adults barely recognisable as first generation elves. Some first generation elves who contracted Araphinis Mons when very young also have slightly canine teeth. The infection also leaves carriers sterile in 90% of cases.

    Second generation elves are, as far as scientific knowledge extends, only produced when a first generation elf who has not been left sterile has a child. They have even more pronounced cheekbones and thinner jaws. Their ears are also more pointed and their eyes wider than those of a first generation elf, with around half of all observed being heterochromatic. They also have small fangs or tusks that protrude from their lower jaw and their noses have been reduced to a pair of slits. All second generation elves observed so far have been bald, though whether this is natural or they shave body hair for cultural reasons is unknown. Second generation elves are genderless and completely devoid of visible sexual organs. It is unknown how they reproduce, if at all.

    Elves do not have large communities, with first generation tending to live with humans. There are some small second generation communities, but often they become electrical engineers, or if they are not clever enough, bodyguards, as they tend to be not only more intimidating, but stronger and more agile than humans. It appears that second generation look down on the first generation, especially those who deliberately got themselves infected; second generation refer to the first as "antiphim" and to themselves as "probim".

    It has been noted that second generation elves outnumber first generation by a long margin, and is therefore theorised that the second generation are capable of production. Some even think that the roughly half-and-half split of homochromia and heterochromia is the elvish equivalent of gender. Other theories are quite common, with a prevailing one being that elvish proficiency with electronics comes from a different sense, possibly one that can sense energy or its flow. Some theories, however, are blatantly false, like the theory that the Caz are considered an elvish delicacy.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Some theories, however, are blatantly false, like the theory that the Caz are considered an elvish delicacy.
    Especially when you consider the fact that most other people will get pissed when you eat their cook or the guy who gets you the cool sci-fi stuff

    The former would be kind of ironic too.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

    Avatar by me.

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dogmantra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    With Uncle Crassius

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Especially when you consider the fact that most other people will get pissed when you eat their cook or the guy who gets you the cool sci-fi stuff

    The former would be kind of ironic too.
    ...

    OR ARE THEY?

    (blatantly false that is)
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-03-19 at 04:48 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    ...

    OR ARE THEY?

    (blatantly false that is)
    Well, the Caz would definitely be a delicacy if they were tasty to elves, They only exist in large quantities on one planet.

    EDIT:

    I'll do a page on Caz technology tomorrow.
    Last edited by Keveak; 2010-03-19 at 04:51 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

    Avatar by me.

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    icastflare!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Divide
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    alright my idea introduces my own race and the system they live in.
    Spoiler
    Show

    They are known as shadowlings.They are humanoids with the general size of the races, but they are covered with a shadow cloaking the shadowling's entire body. It is a multiple use shadow. It can be used to cover an area, to shield someone, to hide something, make said area dark, or even into a weapon.For weapons it can be used to create a weapon. Using this shadow takes much of the shadowlings energy, but still makes them a formidable foe. When a shadowling uses its shadow, you can see their true form. It is a typical human with gray skin. They normally have black, grey, neon green, or dark green. The typical hairstyle is a pony tail for both genders. Other popular designs are spiked short hair and being bald.


    They live In the X7 system. It was mostly a human mining facility, until the shadowlings came from a barrage of crashing spaceships. The shadowlings overcame the humans and raided incoming ships thinking it was still under human control. The fact it was a mining planet echoes within the style of armor and weapons.

    Many of the weapons are adapted mining equipment. The few weapons that are not influenced by mining are similar to ceremonial weaponry or makeshift weapons you would see out of a beginners workshop. The most common melee weapon is the scorching halberd. It is a halberd with most of themetal ment to cleave into the opponent made up of a burning material found in the wastes of strip mining operations. It is called Milak and is commonly used as with the halberd, and to dispose of trash without piling it or directly burning it.

    For the ranged weapons, the most common rifle is a scrap laser Y-2 rifle. Normally it is as the title state's made out of scrap metal. It uses a source of power such as a battery to fire its ammo at enemies. For Close burst weapons, there is the Milak distrubutor. In a sense, it is a flamethrowers that uses Milak instead of fire.

    As for the armor, it is mostly pieces of scrap welded on to each other. It only covers vital area's, as not to restrict the users movement.For the heavily armored troops, It consists of steel covering all area's of the body. The helmet has a glass screen in the front that is normally in a V pattern. They have vents along the side if the head for air. Though some have larger vents,because of a fear of suffocating. While it is extremelly rare, some are more afraid of it than others.

    For the vehicles, they have few space ships. It comes in 3 variations: The hulking freighter, and the fast raiding ship, and the carrier. A freighter is ment to hold heavy artillery and to shell planets from orbit. The raiding ship is to attack enemy airships. They try hit and run tacts, along with boarding the enemy ship. The carrier is to carry infantry and acts as sort of in between. It carrys guns to defend itself, but it is not ment as a prime fighting vessel.

    The society is run by a Shadow master. He is the leader of the forces. The shadow leader has a council to make sure he does not go on a power trip and to find a new leader if the current shadowmaster dies. Then it is a Magistrate. Normally they rule communities and cities. Next is the development overseer. He Makes sure a certain part of the community.

    In the army, the highest position is Grand Destroyer. He controls the military. Next is the conquerer. They control parts of the army and make sure they are content and are working at peak performance. Next is the Gulroth. Then the Zigil. The lowest rank is the Slithyik. They are cannon fodder for the higher ranks.

    The current Shadow master is Dagiz Warpsmile. He is very charismatic and has turned radicals into follows in less than a minute . He weeds out all threats to his rule. The tool he uses most to keep the threats is blackmail and torture.

    The Current Grand Destroyer is Voss'skoz. She is a manipulating leader. Her main tactics are terrorizing the enemy and divide and conquer. She has defended key points with deadly efficiency. Most would not cross her.



    EDIT: If I am missing something vital,tell me and I will fill it in on another post.
    Last edited by icastflare!; 2010-03-19 at 05:12 PM.
    Avatar of a Drow priestess by Teutonic Knight.

    This is where I put my writings. Want to take a look?

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    So, I got bored.
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    icastflare!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Divide
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    So, I got bored.
    Spoiler
    Show
    intimidating, goes with your race. I like it
    Avatar of a Drow priestess by Teutonic Knight.

    This is where I put my writings. Want to take a look?

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    This certainly sounds like an interesting idea. I'd love to participate.

    But before we go further (and I apologize if this has been brought up already, I sorta skimmed the last page)...what sort of FTL travel are we using for this 'verse? Wormholes? "Gates"? Alcubierre drives/warp drives? Teleporting? Something else entirely?

    This is, of course, assuming that we are using FTL travel at all. Slower-than-light is a possibility as well, though FTL would of course make things a great deal more convenient.
    It is a great question but it shouldn't be asked right now.
    As you can see on my original post on the idea I would like to this in a series of steps, being "tech" the step number 5. As I agree with a FTL system of travel I don't think this is the time to discuss that.

    You guys sure write a lot

    I'll finish up my faction idea and I'll read what you've posted
    It's BACK!

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    icastflare!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Divide
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Methos am I missing anything? I have a nagging feeling I am
    Avatar of a Drow priestess by Teutonic Knight.

    This is where I put my writings. Want to take a look?

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SinisterPenguin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    It is a great question but it shouldn't be asked right now.
    As you can see on my original post on the idea I would like to this in a series of steps, being "tech" the step number 5. As I agree with a FTL system of travel I don't think this is the time to discuss that.
    Are you sure? I mean, I can understand leaving most tech for the last step, but the system of FTL travel used could have an enormous impact on the entire dynamic of the world; the most obvious being if fast interstellar space travel is limited to certain systems by a network of gates or somesuch. As I understand it so far this is somewhat of a space opera-ish setting so deciding on a system of intestellar travel is doubly important.

    Just my opinion, is all. It just seems like something we might want to get out of the way now.
    Avatar Battle Royale:
    Spoiler
    Show


    ABR signature by Darklord Bright.
    __________________________________________________

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by icastflare! View Post
    Methos am I missing anything? I have a nagging feeling I am
    I'm... not sure what you are talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    Are you sure? I mean, I can understand leaving most tech for the last step, but the system of FTL travel used could have an enormous impact on the entire dynamic of the world; the most obvious being if fast interstellar space travel is limited to certain systems by a network of gates or somesuch. As I understand it so far this is somewhat of a space opera-ish setting so deciding on a system of intestellar travel is doubly important.

    Just my opinion, is all. It just seems like something we might want to get out of the way now.
    I understand your point of view and a admit that FTL travel is a critical point, but isn't really getting in the way right now. At this point we just want basic ideas for civilizations, we are not even at the point where we decide exactly how deep in the space are we going to get (if we are sticking to galaxy, universe or even just one system).

    If the decision of a certain "tech" starts to get in the way of any of the creation process we can easily stop for a moment and say "ok, lets just decide this", but that isn't the situation right now. And if we decide to change things when we come up with the FTL form of travel we can. It's all universe, we can always go back and change things to fit new and approved ideas.

    For now lets just stick with the civilizations/factions/stuff... During the universe/sector/system/galaxy creation (the next step) we figure out our FTL thing.
    It's BACK!

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Maximum Zersk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada, Eh?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Well, flam it. I was working on a race, when the coopered Inkscape closes down. AND I forgot to save. Now I'm going to have to start all over again.

    A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

    Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

    Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.


    Spoiler
    Show




  18. - Top - End - #348
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    icastflare!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Divide
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    I'm... not sure what you are talking about.

    I mean my entry. It seems a bit off. maybe I am just a worry-wort. or a negative nancy. how I long to be a regular nancy.
    Avatar of a Drow priestess by Teutonic Knight.

    This is where I put my writings. Want to take a look?

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I'm working on art just for gits and shiggles but I can't for the life of me do my idea in semi-oots style as all the other stuff has been, so I doubt the art styles will mesh that well.

    First though, I have text:

    Araphinis Mons (Elfishness) is a disease that causes the carrier's body to change in appearance, to resemble that of a mythological elf. The disease can be passed on to the carrier's offspring, who have much more pronounced symptoms, and some that first generation do not suffer from.

    Symptoms begin to appear around two weeks after infection and after this point there is no currently available cure for the disease. The carrier's jaw becomes thinner, and more pronounced along with the cheekbones, his ears become slightly elongated and pointed, and his eyes widen. These symptoms have more effect the younger the infected, as they are still growing and prone to change, with some middle aged adults barely recognisable as first generation elves. Some first generation elves who contracted Araphinis Mons when very young also have slightly canine teeth. The infection also leaves carriers sterile in 90% of cases.

    Second generation elves are, as far as scientific knowledge extends, only produced when a first generation elf who has not been left sterile has a child. They have even more pronounced cheekbones and thinner jaws. Their ears are also more pointed and their eyes wider than those of a first generation elf, with around half of all observed being heterochromatic. They also have small fangs or tusks that protrude from their lower jaw and their noses have been reduced to a pair of slits. All second generation elves observed so far have been bald, though whether this is natural or they shave body hair for cultural reasons is unknown. Second generation elves are genderless and completely devoid of visible sexual organs. It is unknown how they reproduce, if at all.

    Elves do not have large communities, with first generation tending to live with humans. There are some small second generation communities, but often they become electrical engineers, or if they are not clever enough, bodyguards, as they tend to be not only more intimidating, but stronger and more agile than humans. It appears that second generation look down on the first generation, especially those who deliberately got themselves infected; second generation refer to the first as "antiphim" and to themselves as "probim".

    It has been noted that second generation elves outnumber first generation by a long margin, and is therefore theorised that the second generation are capable of production. Some even think that the roughly half-and-half split of homochromia and heterochromia is the elvish equivalent of gender. Other theories are quite common, with a prevailing one being that elvish proficiency with electronics comes from a different sense, possibly one that can sense energy or its flow. Some theories, however, are blatantly false, like the theory that the Caz are considered an elvish delicacy.
    I was really enjoying the idea until you start talking about the second generation elves. Make them a "mysterious" and "recluse" culture sounds kind of silly... Since the first second generation elves were sons/daughters of humans, or at least grandsons/granddaughters... You make it sound like humans are completely useless stupid junk that can't even figure out if their grandchildren can reproduce so, in an adolescent rage of "nobody loves me" all these sick grandchildren decide to form their own society of sick grandchildren.

    It made me imagine the following situation: All the blind people in the world decide that suddenly they are pissed about the people that can see, so they go out and build their own blind society... After a few years people care so little about the blinds that they happens to forget why people get blind/born blind and stop really caring... And them kids around the fire tell creepy stories about how blind people can actually shot lasers from their eyes, and that is why they use sun glasses a lot.

    I think that if you lose the "second generation elves have their own culture" this is a great idea. I just don't like that culture you came up with. Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by icastflare! View Post
    alright my idea introduces my own race and the system they live in.
    Spoiler
    Show

    They are known as shadowlings.They are humanoids with the general size of the races, but they are covered with a shadow cloaking the shadowling's entire body. It is a multiple use shadow. It can be used to cover an area, to shield someone, to hide something, make said area dark, or even into a weapon.For weapons it can be used to create a weapon. Using this shadow takes much of the shadowlings energy, but still makes them a formidable foe. When a shadowling uses its shadow, you can see their true form. It is a typical human with gray skin. They normally have black, grey, neon green, or dark green. The typical hairstyle is a pony tail for both genders. Other popular designs are spiked short hair and being bald.


    They live In the X7 system. It was mostly a human mining facility, until the shadowlings came from a barrage of crashing spaceships. The shadowlings overcame the humans and raided incoming ships thinking it was still under human control. The fact it was a mining planet echoes within the style of armor and weapons.

    Many of the weapons are adapted mining equipment. The few weapons that are not influenced by mining are similar to ceremonial weaponry or makeshift weapons you would see out of a beginners workshop. The most common melee weapon is the scorching halberd. It is a halberd with most of themetal ment to cleave into the opponent made up of a burning material found in the wastes of strip mining operations. It is called Milak and is commonly used as with the halberd, and to dispose of trash without piling it or directly burning it.

    For the ranged weapons, the most common rifle is a scrap laser Y-2 rifle. Normally it is as the title state's made out of scrap metal. It uses a source of power such as a battery to fire its ammo at enemies. For Close burst weapons, there is the Milak distrubutor. In a sense, it is a flamethrowers that uses Milak instead of fire.

    As for the armor, it is mostly pieces of scrap welded on to each other. It only covers vital area's, as not to restrict the users movement.For the heavily armored troops, It consists of steel covering all area's of the body. The helmet has a glass screen in the front that is normally in a V pattern. They have vents along the side if the head for air. Though some have larger vents,because of a fear of suffocating. While it is extremelly rare, some are more afraid of it than others.

    For the vehicles, they have few space ships. It comes in 3 variations: The hulking freighter, and the fast raiding ship, and the carrier. A freighter is ment to hold heavy artillery and to shell planets from orbit. The raiding ship is to attack enemy airships. They try hit and run tacts, along with boarding the enemy ship. The carrier is to carry infantry and acts as sort of in between. It carrys guns to defend itself, but it is not ment as a prime fighting vessel.

    The society is run by a Shadow master. He is the leader of the forces. The shadow leader has a council to make sure he does not go on a power trip and to find a new leader if the current shadowmaster dies. Then it is a Magistrate. Normally they rule communities and cities. Next is the development overseer. He Makes sure a certain part of the community.

    In the army, the highest position is Grand Destroyer. He controls the military. Next is the conquerer. They control parts of the army and make sure they are content and are working at peak performance. Next is the Gulroth. Then the Zigil. The lowest rank is the Slithyik. They are cannon fodder for the higher ranks.

    The current Shadow master is Dagiz Warpsmile. He is very charismatic and has turned radicals into follows in less than a minute . He weeds out all threats to his rule. The tool he uses most to keep the threats is blackmail and torture.

    The Current Grand Destroyer is Voss'skoz. She is a manipulating leader. Her main tactics are terrorizing the enemy and divide and conquer. She has defended key points with deadly efficiency. Most would not cross her.



    EDIT: If I am missing something vital,tell me and I will fill it in on another post.
    I dislike this for two reasons:
    1 - I think you went too much in the realm of fantasy with the shadow thing.
    2 - You just over thought. You went in to much details and you even created characters, weapons and ships. I think that right now we should just stay in the basic. First because a lot is going to be shaped in this universe yet (FTL, locations, level of tech, etc) and second because we still don't know who/what is going to make this first cut after we vote.

    Mostly I think you should worry about not enter much in the fantasy realm.

    But that may be just me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Well, flam it. I was working on a race, when the coopered Inkscape closes down. AND I forgot to save. Now I'm going to have to start all over again.
    That happened to me! Lucky I turned auto-save on yesterday!

    EDIT:
    My Idea:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Last edited by MethosH; 2010-03-19 at 07:03 PM.
    It's BACK!

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    The Kashningrions

    Appearance: Think a centaur based off of a crab. Four segmented legs grow out of a semicircular carapace. Near the top front of the carapace, there is a human-like torso from which comes four arms and a head with two eye stalks. The entire organism (save the eye stalks, which can retract into the head, and the joints, to allow for movement) is covered in a nigh-impenetrable green-blue exoskeleton. Males are darker with thicker, studded armor on their arms. Females are lighter in color, and their arms are bladed rather than studded. They are amphibious in nature.

    Politics:
    In general, they have a "Proud Warrior Race" vibe to them. "Male" and "female" only matter in terms of reproduction. Their caste system is based solely on how good a fighter you are. Their system reflects this: The head of any given state is called the "Commander," who is subject to assassination at all time. Though "assassination" works differently on this planet; In order to take power, you must challenge the commander to a one-on-one match and kill him (or her).

    Planet:
    About twice the size of earth, with around one and a half times the gravity. The surface is 80% Ocean. Most of the land there is is used for growing food crops. A good portion of the population lives in floating colonies, raising food animals underwater, but the beaches and such are known to have a few settlements as well.

    Technology: As far as weapons go, personal blasters are for cowards. Only ships are outfitted with laser technology. They prefer to fight one-on-one with their claws, counting on their tough exoskeletons to protect them.

    Anyone wanna draw for me?
    Last edited by Herpestidae; 2010-03-20 at 02:33 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I have an idea for a semi-aquatic alien species based off crustaceans. Many Legged, with exoskeletons (color to be determined later), eye stalks, the whole works, though claws are an option. Males are darker with thicker, studded armor on their arms. Females are lighter in color, and their arms are bladed rather than studded. They are amphibious in nature.

    Politics:
    In general, they have a "Proud Warrior Race" vibe to them. "Male" and "female" only matter in terms of reproduction. Their caste system is based solely on how good a fighter you are. Their system reflects this: The head of any given state is called the "Commander," who is subject to assassination at all time. Though "assassination" works differently on this planet; In order to take power, you must challenge the commander to a one-on-one match and kill him (or her)

    Planet:
    About twice the size of earth, with 4 times the gravity. 80% Ocean. Most of the land there is is used for growing food crops. Cities are mostly underwater, but the beaches and such are known to have a few settlements as well. Food animals are raised underwater.

    More later.

    Primary exports: Food Crops and Animals, soldiers
    Fun fact: On a planet with 4 times the gravity of the earth creatures with exoskeleton that can survive outside of the water would have to be very... very... VERY small. I think that even the ones inside the water would have to be very small.

    Other that I kind of like the idea.

    Also, I have a new concept:

    Voltor

    The Voltor are an strange species to the eyes of others. Their strange biology have an exomuscle above and exoskeleton that covers their small, round shape, bodies. The Voltor technology revolves around biotechnology. All of their ships, armors, weapons and vehicles are bio-engineered to connect to their exomuscles in order to, practically, become an extension of their bodies.

    Common Voltor:

    Voltor on a humanoid bio-suit:
    It's BACK!

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    Fun fact: On a planet with 4 times the gravity of the earth creatures with exoskeleton that can survive outside of the water would have to be very... very... VERY small. I think that even the ones inside the water would have to be very small.

    [/IMG]
    Well, Darklord put human-sized creatures on a planet with 2x the size of Earth. That would make the planet 4x as massive (Square Cube Law FTW!) and thus have everything weigh 4 times as much.

    /Nitpick

    Anyway, I guess you could say that They're more of a "what if Humans evolved from crustaceans" kind of idea. Also, I'm kind of split on whether or not to give them claws. Thoughts?

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Well, Darklord put human-sized creatures on a planet with 2x the size of Earth. That would make the planet 4x as massive (Square Cube Law FTW!) and thus have everything weigh 4 times as much.

    /Nitpick

    Anyway, I guess you could say that They're more of a "what if Humans evolved from crustaceans" kind of idea. Also, I'm kind of split on whether or not to give them claws. Thoughts?
    Not true, size alone don't affect gravity. Density affect gravity.
    Why can't you just change the gravity to something like... half of earth's gravity?
    It's BACK!

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dogmantra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    With Uncle Crassius

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    I think that if you lose the "second generation elves have their own culture" this is a great idea. I just don't like that culture you came up with. Sorry
    Remind me where I put in "second generation have their own culture" again? I put that they tend to use certain slang words and there are some small communities of them, but I thought the whole thing was that they didn't have a culture... Hmmm, maybe I am a really good writer, it's just I never write what I intend.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MethosH's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Behind the Wall of Sleep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Remind me where I put in "second generation have their own culture" again? I put that they tend to use certain slang words and there are some small communities of them, but I thought the whole thing was that they didn't have a culture... Hmmm, maybe I am a really good writer, it's just I never write what I intend.
    They secretly reproduce among themselves without telling everyone about it in small communities but somehow having a larger number than the first generation... There is a secret society going on there. I know it. You know it. And that guy from Da Vinci's code know it.
    It's BACK!

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dogmantra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    With Uncle Crassius

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    They secretly reproduce among themselves without telling everyone about it in small communities but somehow having a larger number than the first generation... There is a secret society going on there. I know it. You know it. And that guy from Da Vinci's code know it.
    Or maybe that's a load of rubbish. Eh?
    EH?

    Eh?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Put it this way: if 90% of your species is sterile and you find out that you're not, what are you going to be doing?
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-03-20 at 02:38 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Maximum Zersk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada, Eh?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    I know what I'd be doing.

    Spoiler
    Show



    A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

    Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

    Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.


    Spoiler
    Show




  28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    Fun fact: On a planet with 4 times the gravity of the earth creatures with exoskeleton that can survive outside of the water would have to be very... very... VERY small. I think that even the ones inside the water would have to be very small.

    Other that I kind of like the idea.

    Also, I have a new concept:

    Voltor

    The Voltor are an strange species to the eyes of others. Their strange biology have an exomuscle above and exoskeleton that covers their small, round shape, bodies. The Voltor technology revolves around biotechnology. All of their ships, armors, weapons and vehicles are bio-engineered to connect to their exomuscles in order to, practically, become an extension of their bodies.

    Common Voltor:

    Voltor on a humanoid bio-suit:
    Perhaps everything on the planet evolved to be big AND survive the pressure?
    They had quite a while to do it.

    Now about the Voltor:

    They're really, really great. It's a creative idea and it has much potential, it deserves an internet... But I don't have any so you'll have to do with a singing frog

    EDIT:
    If we're not deciding about faster than light travel yet then I'll wait with the Caz technology. Lets just say they use bamboo-wood and rubber/plastic a lot, since that's what they can make themselves (they can and do produce some metal items too but it's not as easy on Gran'llanura)
    Last edited by Keveak; 2010-03-20 at 04:48 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

    Avatar by me.

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Another type of idea that haven't crossed my mind. A great idea! Maybe they are somewhat misunderstood by the rest of the universe?
    Perhaps. Then again, all the Ablinai is concerned with is its own survival -- and if that comes at the cost of every other life in the universe, then that's fantastic as it will eliminate war.

    That, and with every brain in the hive mind focused towards scientific advances... just think how dangerous the other species would consider an enemy capable of using *all* its brainpower for scientific and technological advances.

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Airstrip One

    Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Well, Darklord put human-sized creatures on a planet with 2x the size of Earth. That would make the planet 4x as massive (Square Cube Law FTW!) and thus have everything weigh 4 times as much.
    No it wouldn't. For one thing, doubling the radius makes the planet 8 times as massive (you know, 2 cubed. Cube law and all that). For another, surface gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the planet's radius. You're only going to have 2g surface gravity on a planet 8 times as massive as Earth, but with twice the radius.
    And "size" doesn't play any part in the square-cube law, as it's not a dimension. It can be used to express any single dimension or product of dimensions. For all you know, DLB was meant that the planet's volume was twice Earth's, which puts surface gravity at around 1.6g if we assume Earth-like density. (Obviously this is a flawed assumption, as materials would be compressed and become higher density under the greater gravity. But I'm too lazy to work that out at the moment.)
    For a planet with twice the volume of Earth and four times the surface gravity, it would need to be around 2.5 times as dense as Earth.
    For one with double the radius and four times the surface gravity, still about twice as dense.
    Last edited by Keris; 2010-03-20 at 10:24 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •