New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Quote Originally Posted by licoot View Post
    I was trying to show them coming in to try and steal from/slay the dragon, but being interrupted by someone else, then waking to find the dragon and its hoard gone, and a baby dragon left.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to show that better.

also my last two votes go to...
    ...the zodahanni and....
    H2.0
    First few panels is them coming in, then in battle prep someone else comes in to everyone else's confusion. have him preparing some sort of action before everyone wakes up. Also establish in the dialogue that they're waking up, question the dragon's locale and wtf's with the baby dragon.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    The votes are now over and, due to a tie, we end up with 7 final species/factions/stuff. Here are the winners:

1. The Zodohaani
    2. The Nakessh
    3. The Caz
    4. H2.0
    5. The Krashningrions / The Pleocygrans
    6. The Argotanians United

Now its time for us to move on the the second step. Design the galaxy/universe/system.

Things we need to figure out now:

1. Are we going to be working with galaxies, systems or planets?
    Personally I vote for star systems. A single system is a bit on the small side, especially considering the number of intelligent species we seem to have at this point, and galaxies are simply far, far too huge.

[*]Now is a good time to figure out "travel technology". We will go with FTL Drives? Jump Gates?
    Personally I've always liked the idea of the Alcubierre drive, a sort of "mess around with spacetime so that you move faster than light despite not actually moving faster than light" thing. It's a bit similar to Star Trek's warp drive tech.

EDIT: Oh, and I should mention I was working on the assumption that we'd be handwaving the more problematic aspects of Alcubierre drive, such as the massive amount of energy required. Also that it might be completely impossible!
    Last edited by SinisterPenguin; 2010-03-31 at 03:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

3. - Top - End - #483

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    Personally I vote for star systems. A single system is a bit on the small side, especially considering the number of intelligent species we seem to have at this point, and galaxies are simply far, far too huge.

Personally I've always liked the idea of the Alcubierre drive, a sort of "mess around with spacetime so that you move faster than light despite not actually moving faster than light" thing. It's a bit similar to Star Trek's warp drive tech.
    I think thats what we should do to
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I say we work with Star Systems.

For FTL, I don't think we should do Warp Gates or Hyperspace. I think it should be some sort of system that requires considerable preplanning to pull off successfully and safely, with sending Drones to test routes or something. The point is, it's not something you can do on the fly if you want to show up safely and anywhere near where you want to be, so no fleeing mid battle.

By the way, an Idea, the Beacons.

A method for determining you're location in Space. Many major planets have a Beacon. The Beacon's are perfectly synchronized. Every (Let's say) Hour, each beacon sends out a powerful Light Speed Transmission consisting of the name of the planet, and the current Standard Galactic Date/Time (However that is measured. Pretty much the Sci-Fi equivilent of Greenwich Mean Time). If a Ship wants to determine it's location in Space, it listens for Beacon broadcasts and compares the current SGD/T with the one in the Broadcasts, a quick calculation involving the Speed of Light should tell the ship how far away from that Beacon they are. They then do this for every Beacon transmission they receive and, by consulting a decent map, they can use the distance to each beacon to determine their exact location in space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree, we should limit ourselves to an area at least smaller than the Orion Arm.

EDIT: Oh, and I should mention I was working on the assumption that we'd be handwaving the more problematic aspects of Alcubierre drive, such as the massive amount of energy required. Also that it might be completely impossible!
    Maybe we could use the "space railroad" idea? A fixed road of distorted spacetime, built by normal spacecrafts, allowing for controlled transportation and preventing the disastrous idea of civilians crafts with engines capable of blowing up countries.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-03-31 at 04:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to go with the idea that we're not just limited to one solar system, but not so much as a galaxy. Just a few solar systems, as others previously suggested, probably in a star cluster.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I say we work with Star Systems.

For FTL, I don't think we should do Warp Gates or Hyperspace. I think it should be some sort of system that requires considerable preplanning to pull off successfully and safely, with sending Drones to test routes or something. The point is, it's not something you can do on the fly if you want to show up safely and anywhere near where you want to be, so no fleeing mid battle.

A method for determining you're location in Space. Many major planets have a Beacon. The Beacon's are perfectly synchronized. Every (Let's say) Hour, each beacon sends out a powerful Light Speed Transmission consisting of the name of the planet, and the current Standard Galactic Date/Time (However that is measured. Pretty much the Sci-Fi equivilent of Greenwich Mean Time). If a Ship wants to determine it's location in Space, it listens for Beacon broadcasts and compares the current SGD/T with the one in the Broadcasts, a quick calculation involving the Speed of Light should tell the ship how far away from that Beacon they are. They then do this for every Beacon transmission they receive and, by consulting a decent map, they can use the distance to each beacon to determine their exact location in space.
    That's a very good idea, I vote for that one.

I also agree that we should keep to less than a galaxy, otherwise the Caz would get some serious problems with the fact that they have exactly one planet to operate from
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

hey, sorry to interrupt your space setting you've got going here, but I've got a webcomic idea, bit long though, thinking of calling Age of the Arcane

basically, first imagine your typical DnD setting.

now imagine all the wizards thinking the adventurers can't save the world forever, and that the military isn't competent enough to fill their shoes.

now imagine the wizards killing off all the royalty and nobles, and taking over themselves, which leads to a greater emphasis on magic and its development, which leads to more and better spells being discovered.

700 years later, multiple wizard-controlled empires now rule the world, adventurers are things of the past since the many threats they used to fight are now handled by the various forces the wizards send out to deal with them instead.the medieval weapons are gone, replaced by the arcane equivalent of guns and cannons, warriors are still around but they use weapons designed by mages.

however there are problems in the new society, the "evil" races (orcs, goblins, kobolds, trolls etc.) are still treated like garbage since the wizards overthrew the old order in the first place to defend the people from those races in the first place, and either slaves or if they are free, second class citizens.
    now imagine that not everyone thinks the new order is a good thing, and that there are rebels out there seeking to overthrow the government for various goals and reasons, and that there is an undercurrent of revolution starting.

now imagine, that one day a young apprentice wizard is caught on the receiving end of this coming revolution...

whaddya think? good premise?
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2010-04-01 at 05:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    hey, sorry to interrupt your space setting you've got going here, but I've got a webcomic idea, bit long though, thinking of calling Age of the Arcane

basically, first imagine your typical DnD setting.

now imagine all the wizards thinking the adventurers can't save the world forever, and that the military isn't competent enough to fill their shoes.

now imagine the wizards killing off all the royalty and nobles, and taking over themselves, which leads to a greater emphasis on magic and its development, which leads to more and better spells being discovered.

700 years later, multiple wizard-controlled empires now rule the world, adventurers are things of the past since the many threats they used to fight are now handled by the various forces the wizards send out to deal with them instead.the medieval weapons are gone, replaced by the arcane equivalent of guns and cannons, warriors are still around but they use weapons designed by mages.

however there are problems in the new society, the "evil" races (orcs, goblins, kobolds, trolls etc.) are still treated like garbage since the wizards overthrew the old order in the first place to defend the people from those races in the first place, and either slaves or if they are free, second class citizens.
    now imagine that not everyone thinks the new order is a good thing, and that there are rebels out there seeking to overthrow the government for various goals and reasons, and that there is an undercurrent of revolution starting.

now imagine, that one day a young apprentice wizard is caught on the receiving end of this coming revolution...

whaddya think? good premise?
    I think it's a good premise, plenty of potential.
    Now it all comes down to the comic itself, post what else you need help or opinions on and get the comic done for our viewing
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if the Nakeesh (Before the cataclysm of course) were what inspired H2.0 in the first place. "Those aliens embrace their technology, and look at them. We can do the same thing!"
    I would be very surprised if they were, actually. H2.0 are based on a half-baked interpretation of transhumanist ideas, which is a movement around today. There are guys out there who use kitchen knives or scalpels bought online to make incisions in their arms, hand or fingertips, without anaesthetic, and insert RFID tags or magnetic implants under their skin. H2.0 is an extension of this into a future where medical science created bionic body parts which perform better than the originals.
    While it's possible that some H2.0 were 'inspired' by the Nakeesh, the movement as a whole wouldn't have been.
    And that a even a warp bubble moving at 50c would take a month to get between Sol and Promixa Centauri, thanks to a lack of time dilation. And that a pilot would have no way of steering the craft once in motion.

That's going to run into a lot of problems. The signals would either be incredible weak or kill off all life on the planets they originate from. (A signal with intensity of 1 unit when measured 10ly away from the source would have an intensity in the region of 1020 units a planet's diameter away.
    Additionally, how do you propose to synchronise the signals? Space is big, and unless we pick an FTL system that somehow avoids the problem, time dilation would screw you over. It might be possible to calculate the effects of time dilation and compensate for them, but I can't see it being worth it. A "Galactic Standard Time" would fail for that and political reasons. (Which planet's day do we use? Which year? What kind of subdivisions? Hell, what numerical base? Those sorts of questions would keep that proposal mired in bureaucracy.)
    Finally, for this to be of any use, it would need to have begun decades ago. Should you find yourself 5ly from the nearest star, you're receiving signals sent from there 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Maybe we could use the "space railroad" idea? A fixed road of distorted spacetime, built by normal spacecrafts, allowing for controlled transportation and preventing the disastrous idea of civilians crafts with engines capable of blowing up countries.
    As I understand it, the Alcubierre drive warps spacetime directly before and behind the ship. A "railroad" couldn't be build from this distorted spacetime, instead a structure designed to distort the immediate spacetime of the ships travelling along it would need to be built.
    Additionally, from a narrative standpoint characters need to be able to go wherever. They may wish to explore the stars, and wouldn't be able to do so if constrained to a rail network.

Personally, I'd advise throwing all pretences of real science out the window with FTL travel, while there are several possible models for FTL travel, they are all unworkable without severe refinement, and there's always the issue of violating causality.

On another note, looking over the factions I realised that we do in fact have seven. Both Argotanians United and H2.0 imply the existence of a more general human faction, AU having declared themselves independent of the human government and H2.0 being a culture within humanity.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Personally, I'd advise throwing all pretences of real science out the window with FTL travel, while there are several possible models for FTL travel, they are all unworkable without severe refinement, and there's always the issue of violating causality.
    Then in that case, I'd suggest teleportation, perhaps taking the route of the Battlestar Galactica jump drives: you can technically jump anywhere in the universe, but the farther the distance is, the less likely you're going to be close to your intended destination, since the drive requires extremely precise calculations (made by a phlebotinum calculator on board of a spacecraft).

So to go to a neighbouring star system, a craft would generally make several small "jumps", each time readjusting its readings and redoing the calculations; this operation takes a lot of time, making combat teleportation somewhat difficult.

On another note, looking over the factions I realised that we do in fact have seven. Both Argotanians United and H2.0 imply the existence of a more general human faction, AU having declared themselves independent of the human government and H2.0 being a culture within humanity.
    Earth should be a fairly minor planet with no unified government. It'll be a change from all the geocentric science fiction.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

So I suppose we should get a "map" of the stars near Sol, and go from there, then we have our small group of stars, and earth can be off to the side somewhere.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Then in that case, I'd suggest teleportation, perhaps taking the route of the Battlestar Galactica jump drives: you can technically jump anywhere in the universe, but the farther the distance is, the less likely you're going to be close to your intended destination, since the drive requires extremely precise calculations (made by a phlebotinum calculator on board of a spacecraft).
    A workable idea, but we should avoid directly imitating another work. Draw ideas from it and develop them surely, but not ape them directly.
    If you've already strayed from Battlestar Galactica's drives in your synopsis, then I apologise, I'm not familiar with the show.
    So to go to a neighbouring star system, a craft would generally make several small "jumps", each time readjusting its readings and redoing the calculations; this operation takes a lot of time, making combat teleportation somewhat difficult.
    While jumping around within combat would be difficult, I would imagine that one might be able to make a jump out of combat with little worries. Leaping, say, an AU straight up from the orbital plane of a system would put some distance between you and an attacker, and the space up there is pretty empty so a precise jump wouldn't be needed.
    Earth should be a fairly minor planet with no unified government.
    No unified government, possibly, but minor planet? Much of H2.0 would still be terran, and Earth supported a corporation which grew large enough to split off and form it's own faction.
    It'll be a change from all the geocentric science fiction.
    Sci-fi focusses on Earth for a reason. The readers are human. The characters are frequently human, so that we might associate with them. And humanity, as a whole, is rather attached to the insignificant little blue planet. We happen to live here, after all.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think we can have Humans spread out throughout the stars, however they are divided. Each Human Colony is independent of others, so their not really a unified force or political power. Besides Earth, most Human colonies are just one city and a few towns, and the colonists don't feel any real loyalty to Earth, so they're not a "Faction", so much as they just exist.
    Earth is a sizable planet, but because it's colonies are not tightly tied together, it's not a major player.

As for H2.0 and Pre-cataclysm Nakeesh. Okay, so they wern't the Inspiration, but they may have been some of the evidence early H2.0 used to gain support.

We should determine how long various races have been in contact with one another.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Sci-fi focusses on Earth for a reason. The readers are human. The characters are frequently human, so that we might associate with them. And humanity, as a whole, is rather attached to the insignificant little blue planet. We happen to live here, after all.
    So... Star Wars?

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    So... Star Wars?
    Star Wars avoids it by not having an Earth at all (it is "in a galaxy far, far away" after all), but still has humans to be relatable. And even with no "Earth" type planet, it still keeps coming back to the same home planets of the principle cast.

Earth is a sizable planet, but because it's colonies are not tightly tied together, it's not a major player.
    I wouldn't imagine the Nakeesh or H2.0 being major players either. (Oh, and by the way, it's H[sub]2.0[/sub].) The Nakeesh would be a fraction of their pre-nanodeath numbers, and would be limited to their ships, while H2.0 lacks any sort of social structure.
    Last edited by Keris; 2010-04-02 at 11:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Nakeesh had some colonies before the Nanopocolypse. Nothing nearly as big as Nak of course. Most of these colonies are relatively small (The Biggest colony is a planet containing one billion Nakeesh). Most of the Nakeesh live on ships or in orbital habits.
    For reference, At the time of the Nanopocolypse, there were around 10 billion Nakeesh living on Nak, with another hundred million or so living on orbital habitats/colonies on other planets in the system. Another Six Billion Nakeesh were present in other parts of the galaxy, usually in small colonies or on starships or living on planets controlled by other races. About 20% of Nak's population were able to escape the Nanopocolypse (very cramped starships, filling up orbital habitats to their absolute maximum) before the orbital bombardments sterilized the planet.
    Since then the Population hasn't exactly skyrocketed, a brief yet bloody civil war occurred after the bombardment, and lots of Nakeesh died as their medical technology took some time to get used to not relying on nanobots. There are about eight billion Nakeesh in the galaxy right now. As I said, the biggest concentration is one billion on a single planet. The majority of Nakeesh live in communities of less than 10 thousand, usually in the form of wandering starship fleets.
    They're major players primarily because they've been living off capital they stored up before the Nanopocolypse. Their planet is gone and they refuse to use what used to be their bread and butter technology, but they still had alot of money and favors saced up. They've been using that influence to keep themselves independent, preventing other races from scooping up Nakeesh colonies and technology.

Maybe one part of the setting can be that the last Nakeesh who survived the Nanopocolypse are dieing out, and with them the last real legacies of Nak. The new generation of Nakeesh are trying to figure out how to define themselves and move forward.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-04-02 at 12:55 PM.
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #498
    Banned

Can someone give a quick tutorial on making swirls? I also need someone to talk to about Cosmology (like Hindu or Norse Mythology) for the comic world.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of these colonies are relatively small (The Biggest colony is a planet containing one billion Nakeesh).
    1 billion is not a small number. That's the population of China, or India, or 1800s Earth. It's over three times the population of the USA, or about one and a half times the population of Europe.
    [...]
    The majority of Nakeesh live in communities of less than 10 thousand, usually in the form of wandering starship fleets.
    This isn't really consistent with what you've said previously. You said that there were 6 billion Nakeesh in colonies, and 20% of the 10 billion on Nak escaped (so, 2 billion, which fits your 'current population' total of 8 billion). One would expect that the 6 billion already set up on colonies would remain in their homes, and so we only have 1/4 of the population in fleets, assuming that none of those fleets joined or formed planetary colonies. Not really a species of space nomads anymore.
    And if "most of" the 8 billion Nakeesh (which, incidentally, is still larger than the current population of Earth by roughly a 6th) are in communities of less than 10 000, we're looking at a minimum of 400 000 communities for that half of the population. That would mean there's 100 000+ space fleets.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

1 billion is not a small number. That's the population of China, or India, or 1800s Earth. It's over three times the population of the USA, or about one and a half times the population of Europe.
    1 billion is plenty small when you're considering an entire planet. You need to stop thinking of these factions as nations, and more as species. The numbers get significantly bigger.
    This isn't really consistent with what you've said previously. You said that there were 6 billion Nakeesh in colonies, and 20% of the 10 billion on Nak escaped (so, 2 billion, which fits your 'current population' total of 8 billion). One would expect that the 6 billion already set up on colonies would remain in their homes, and so we only have 1/4 of the population in fleets, assuming that none of those fleets joined or formed planetary colonies. Not really a species of space nomads anymore.
    And if "most of" the 8 billion Nakeesh (which, incidentally, is still larger than the current population of Earth by roughly a 6th) are in communities of less than 10 000, we're looking at a minimum of 400 000 communities for that half of the population. That would mean there's 100 000+ space fleets.
    That was two generations ago (The last survivors of the Nanopocolypse are just now dieing out as their grandchildren reach adulthood). Also, alot of colonists died after the Nanopocolypse, when anti-nanobot sentiments spread, alot of colonies instituted a blanket ban on nanotech treatements. This meant that all the nanobot-based medicine the Nakeesh had been relying on was no longer used, and lots of people died as researchers raced to find non-nanobot based cures for illnesses nobody had really even noticed before. Not to mention that they were no longer using Nanobots to purify their drinking water, treat waste, make air breathable (Okay, they didn't shut the air scrubbers down immediately, but in alot of cases they rushed the job) grow food, or do lots of other things they counted on. Some colonies were totally wiped out in one way or another.

Also, the destruction of Nak caused alot of unrest in the colonies.
    There were quite a few bloody civil wars. The Nakeesh colonies had always been closely tied with their homeworld. With it gone, alot of wars started, usually between people who wanted the colonies to become independent and those who wanted the colonies to remain governed by what was left of the Nakeesh government. Not to mention wars between groups with varying opinions concerning nanotech. Many colonies were totally reliant on trade with Nak, and were abandoned or sold with the planets destruction. Then, once these bloody civil wars were settled, these colonies got flooded with starving refugees, which in many cases caused even more problems.

So yeah, that 8 billion isn't Nak Survivors+Colonists. It's the children and grandchildren of those colonists and survivors after years of conflict, struggle, and chaos.
    And 8 billion is more than earth's current population, the population on one planet. Spread out amongst the stars that's not much. All the other races probably have alot more than 8 billion disorganized people.

Though if it makes you feel better I'll decrease the number of surviving Nakeesh/ those in the colonies or increase the number of fleets.

Edit: Okay, how do these numbers sound. 8 Billion Nakeesh alive after the destruction of Nak. Since then Conflict, disease, starvation, and the population simply not being replaced fast enough (You'd be surprised how bad "Hey baby, our homeworld is destroyed, our civilization is ripping itself to shreds, and the technology that we built our greatness on is now taboo, and everybody is sick, hungry, terrified, or trying to kill one another, lets make babies" works as a pick up line. Maybe it doesn't translate well into whatever language the Nakeesh use). Anyway, current population total is at around 5 billion.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-04-03 at 02:10 AM.
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

1 billion is plenty small when you're considering an entire planet. You need to stop thinking of these factions as nations, and more as species. The numbers get significantly bigger.
    I live on a tiny island, which happens to be home to 0.9% of the world's population. Which is still less than 60 million. 'Billion' to me is several orders of magnitude above 'nation', it's an unthinkable number. If you represented every person as a pixel on an HD 1080 display, you'd need almost 500 displays to show a billion people. To contrast, you'd need less than 30 to show everyone in Great Britain.
    And while for a species a billion might not sound so big, it is. Humanity only hit billion in 1802, we had existed as a species for 200 000 years before that. A colony with a billion people on is a state in it's own right, it's not 'relatively small'. It's huge. You could easily have separate nations vying for control of the colony world, nations which have sprung up on that world. You'll have cities, internal trade, maybe your own currency.
    And 8 billion is more than earth's current population, the population on one planet. Spread out amongst the stars that's not much. All the other races probably have alot more than 8 billion disorganized people.
    Well, there's the Caz, who have exactly 1 planet and 0 colonies. There's the Zodahaani, who while I can't recall anything being said about how many interstellar colonies they have, they have only one lunar colony for both of their binary moons. The Pleocygrans, I can't recall anything said about how many they might have. Argotanians United admittedly have a 'sector', which is apparently several solar systems. And H2.0 doesn't control anything, being a subculture.

Okay, how do these numbers sound. 8 Billion Nakeesh alive after the destruction of Nak. Since then Conflict, disease, starvation, and the population simply not being replaced fast enough[...] Anyway, current population total is at around 5 billion.
    With 5 billion Nakeesh, assuming they're still mainly in "communities of less than 10 thousand", we have around half a million communities. And those are "usually in the form of wandering starship fleets", which gives us something upwards of 300 000 fleets. Which is still really big.
    If we assume each starship carries on average 100 Nakeesh, then the 3 billion odd living in space would occupy 30 million spacecraft.

As an aside, the Quarian Migrant Fleet, which if not an inspiration for the Nakeesh are certainly a parallel, is the sole fleet of the Quarians, and has 17 million people on 50 thousand ships.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, there's the Caz, who have exactly 1 planet and 0 colonies.
    If I may add, there is a lot of them who live otherwhere, nowhere near colonial size but they are quite common in small numbers or as individual crewmen on interfactional spaceships.

If that's not a problem
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvandemon View Post
    Can someone give a quick tutorial on making swirls? I also need someone to talk to about Cosmology (like Hindu or Norse Mythology) for the comic world.
    What do you want to make swirls in? InkScape? I think there's a spiral tool if that helps.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    If I may add, there is a lot of them who live otherwhere, nowhere near colonial size but they are quite common in small numbers or as individual crewmen on interfactional spaceships.

If that's not a problem
    It damn well is a problem.

Nah, I kid. What do you mean by "colonial size"? To me, a colony could be a dozen guys in a habitat on the surface of some interstellar rock. Do you just mean that there are no Caz in positions of power or in sizeable populations on colony worlds?

On another note as H2.0 is a subculture, it's rather open. There are 'Type 3' Nakeesh running around, would there also be 'C2.0', 'P2.0' and 'Z2.0'? (Caz 2.0, Pleocygrans 2.0 and Zodohaani 2.0 respectively.)

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

[QUOTE=Keris Rain;8212581

With 5 billion Nakeesh, assuming they're still mainly in "communities of less than 10 thousand", we have around half a million communities. And those are "usually in the form of wandering starship fleets", which gives us something upwards of 300 000 fleets. Which is still really big.
    If we assume each starship carries on average 100 Nakeesh, then the 3 billion odd living in space would occupy 30 million spacecraft.

As an aside, the Quarian Migrant Fleet, which if not an inspiration for the Nakeesh are certainly a parallel, is the sole fleet of the Quarians, and has 17 million people on 50 thousand ships.[/QUOTE]
    Okay. What numbers would you use for the Nakeesh.
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It damn well is a problem.

Nah, I kid. What do you mean by "colonial size"? To me, a colony could be a dozen guys in a habitat on the surface of some interstellar rock. Do you just mean that there are no Caz in positions of power or in sizeable populations on colony worlds?

On another note as H2.0 is a subculture, it's rather open. There are 'Type 3' Nakeesh running around, would there also be 'C2.0', 'P2.0' and 'Z2.0'? (Caz 2.0, Pleocygrans 2.0 and Zodohaani 2.0 respectively.)
    I mean big enough in number to be of political value and self sufficient (if the position allow so) So about the same as American colonies, just on a larger scale

There would probably be some C2.0, though not many on Gran'Llanura. The Caz thinks manipulating the body to be cheating in the 'game' of life, but doesn't oppose it.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

27. - Top - End - #507

Surely ontop of colonies spreading there would also be individuels from all races spread in all factions, obviously not H2.0 in a Nakesh settlement, but a normal human maybey.
    Although that would vary based on the ease of travel between planets/ solar systems.
    Last edited by licoot; 2010-04-03 at 01:32 PM.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

I made this, yes I did! It's my DDO character, Israeli Fireweaver, except as a timeline.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 4 lvl 1
    As a child, she traveled with her family in a large caravan through the desert. She was brushing her camel, when she accidentaly froze it to death. Over the next 10 years, her mother taught her how to control her magic, use her freezing spell properly, and how to use the spell sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 14 lvl 1
    Once she was 14, she was sent to the sorcerer school her parents went to to learn spells and how to hold her own in battle. She was givin the beginner uniform and a wand, since she could only use a few spells.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 17 lvl 1
    Over the past 3 years, she learned several spells and earned the admiration of her teacher. Her and the others of her group were going to be sent to an island infested by hobgoblins were they could easily reach level 2. Instead, however, there boat was attacked and sunk by a white dragon. She marooned on Korthos island, were the Sahuagen, a race of lizard folk, were stealing villagers in the night. She is the only known survivor of the boat, and lost her many magical items when she floated to Korthos.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 17 lvl 1
    Over the next few days, she had done several odd jobs around Korthos and earned new armor. She gains the trust of the villagers and they ask for her help to get rid of the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 18 lvl 2
    After gaining a few more magic items and learning a new spell, she leaves the vilage for clues about the dragon. It is revealed that a Mind flayer is controling it. She and her new friends go to end the Mind Flayer's control over the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 19 lvl 3
    After the dragon leaves and the ice in the harbor melts, creating a path off the island, she says her goodbyes and leaves. In stormreach, she finds the wonderful stores of the city and buys all new magical items and armor. She learns of the kobold infestations all over the city, and is determined to protect this new land as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 19 lvl 3
    After ending the kobold infestation, she finishes helping the people in that section of the hugs city. After all, this is only the dock, a third of the city. There are 2 more parts with their own sets of problems. It is also on this section of the timeline that she discoveres were the Auction house is. She is sure she will have enough equipment to last a while.

____

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    I made this, yes I did! It's my DDO character, Israeli Fireweaver, except as a timeline.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 4 lvl 1
    As a child, she traveled with her family in a large caravan through the desert. She was brushing her camel, when she accidentaly froze it to death. Over the next 10 years, her mother taught her how to control her magic, use her freezing spell properly, and how to use the spell sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 14 lvl 1
    Once she was 14, she was sent to the sorcerer school her parents went to to learn spells and how to hold her own in battle. She was givin the beginner uniform and a wand, since she could only use a few spells.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 17 lvl 1
    Over the past 3 years, she learned several spells and earned the admiration of her teacher. Her and the others of her group were going to be sent to an island infested by hobgoblins were they could easily reach level 2. Instead, however, there boat was attacked and sunk by a white dragon. She marooned on Korthos island, were the Sahuagen, a race of lizard folk, were stealing villagers in the night. She is the only known survivor of the boat, and lost her many magical items when she floated to Korthos.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 17 lvl 1
    Over the next few days, she had done several odd jobs around Korthos and earned new armor. She gains the trust of the villagers and they ask for her help to get rid of the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 18 lvl 2
    After gaining a few more magic items and learning a new spell, she leaves the vilage for clues about the dragon. It is revealed that a Mind flayer is controling it. She and her new friends go to end the Mind Flayer's control over the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 19 lvl 3
    After the dragon leaves and the ice in the harbor melts, creating a path off the island, she says her goodbyes and leaves. In stormreach, she finds the wonderful stores of the city and buys all new magical items and armor. She learns of the kobold infestations all over the city, and is determined to protect this new land as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Age 19 lvl 3
    After ending the kobold infestation, she finishes helping the people in that section of the hugs city. After all, this is only the dock, a third of the city. There are 2 more parts with their own sets of problems. It is also on this section of the timeline that she discoveres were the Auction house is. She is sure she will have enough equipment to last a while.

What's DDO? Nice pictures by the way
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Dungeons and Dragons Online. The actual game starts when she crashes, I just gave her reason to be on the boat.
    ____