New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

I can imagine that there'd be quite a few Zodohaani who would see the idea of gaining a physical advantage over rivals through cybernetics or enhancements to be part of "Playing the game", though it might be more common amongst the Warrior Caste than any of the others. I could especially see a Zodohaani noble making her personal bodyguards into 'super-soldiers' of a sort in order to one-up her rivals.

Does that fit the concept of the way Z2.0 might work? It seems to fit into the very competitive nature of the Zodohaani social structure to me.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    I can imagine that there'd be quite a few Zodohaani who would see the idea of gaining a physical advantage over rivals through cybernetics or enhancements to be part of "Playing the game", though it might be more common amongst the Warrior Caste than any of the others. I could especially see a Zodohaani noble making her personal bodyguards into 'super-soldiers' of a sort in order to one-up her rivals.

Does that fit the concept of the way Z2.0 might work? It seems to fit into the very competitive nature of the Zodohaani social structure to me.
    Well, there is more than one culture and one nation per species... I'm sure there's one Zodohaani country/colony that would accept the Z2.0.

v: Same comment.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-04-03 at 07:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post

On the other hand, the Pleocygrans would think that such enhancement would be dishonorable and... stuff.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Okay. What numbers would you use for the Nakeesh.
    Well, if they're splintered, I'd hazard that there would be anything up to a thousand fleets, each with maybe up to a couple of thousand ships, and each ship carrying a couple of hundred Nakeesh. This gives at most something like a 500 000 000 Nakeesh in ships, and maybe 200 000 Nakeesh in each fleet.
    If they're more concentrated, then perhaps 100 fleets, each with maybe 10 000 ships and 1000 Nakeesh in a ship. This gives something like 1 billion Nakeesh in ships, with 10 million Nakeesh in a single fleet.
    For colonies, I'd imagine that there aren't that many that support a minimum viable population to be low, but then again I would imagine that there are fairly few habitable worlds anyway, Earth-like worlds don't grow on trees y'know. Maybe one or two with a population in the millions, and several more with populations in the hundreds or very low thousands, perhaps worlds in the early (and perhaps abandoned) stages of terraforming (Nak-forming?) with large habitats, and a few dozen worlds with just small outposts on, a score or two of Nakeesh doing whatever you do on outposts like that. Maintaining a broadcast relay, perhaps, or studying alien dirt.
    And then there are the Nakeesh living in colonies either belonging to or predominantly occupied by other species. If each faction (save the H2.0) has a few colonies, and maybe one in twenty of the population of those would be Nakeesh, giving us another 125 000 or so.

This gives us a total population of between 500 million and 1 billion, with 99% of the population in space fleets. The Nakeesh would still be a "major player" because of those thousands of fleets (each fleet would likely be able to blockade a planet, giving the Nakeesh quite some weight to throw around), but they wouldn't be nearly as numerous as the other factions.

Should these numbers be completely off, and utterly unusable for whatever reason, feel free to nitpick them as I've done to yours. My figures are greatly influenced by my own conceptions of how big the setting is, and hopefully we'll be able to work out a set of figures that satisfy all parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Well, there is more than one culture and one nation per species...
    There might not be. Any of the factions could be a have a single governing body and single way of thinking that has displaced all others. These are aliens after all, not humans.
    And while it's always possible that there are exceptions to everything, it's a lot easier to get a feel for a faction when you talk in generalisations.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Plus, with the way that the bulk of the Zodohaani work as a culture, other subcultures would quickly get swept under the rug if they deviated too far from the norm. It's just the way the governing body of Zodohaan is.

The lunar colony is slightly different in that there aren't a lot of higher caste there - mostly miners and servants working on the other moon - but most of them wouldn't even have the money for cybernetics, rendering the point moot.

Zodohaani culture doesn't really allow for large alternative factions of Zodohaani. There are loopholes in everything however, and it isn't uncommon for people to find ways to bend rules without truly breaking from the planetary customs.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2010-04-04 at 07:40 AM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Keris: Those numbers work. I think I'll drop the inital populations to 8 billion on Nak and 1 billion in various colonies (Primarily largely automatic mining operations with a small community of Nakeesh running it). The Colonies that banned Nanotech after the Nanopocolypse were largely wiped out (Since they used Nanotech to do so many essential things, like let their food grow on alien worlds, or keep their habitats in repait). The colonies that continued to use Nanotech were ostracized from the rest of Nakeesh culture, and became the Type-3 Nakeesh.

About 2 Billion Nakeesh escaped Nak (So that's 3 billion total at this point), but many of them died due to starvation, disease, and conflict, and negative population growth took it's toll, so there are about 1 billion Nakeesh left. Most of the technology that allowed them to quickly and easily colonize worlds was based on Nanotech, so they're currently trying to find other ways to handle that. Also, most of the current generation of Nakeesh were born on refugee ships after Nak's fall. The survivors of Nak are trying to steer their race to reunite and try to find a planet, but they are old and dieing, the race is run by their children and grandchildren, who have lived their entire lives wandering the stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I came up with some ideas, and finally decided to start designing my characters for a fancomic. It'll be a non-DnD setting, in a fantasy world with magic and some kind of technology, in a state of tyranny,war etc.
    So while I had time, I designed the first main character. I don't have a full backstory prepared and still no name...

Please give some comments about the design. It's my first time doing weapons and scarfs... and the hair is always a difficult part
    Thanks !
    Last edited by Hyoumu Yau; 2010-04-05 at 11:53 AM.

Be nice, give him a hug. Look how much he want's it!

Avatar and Signature were made by me

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoumu Yau View Post
    Well, I came up with some ideas, and finally decided to start designing my characters for a fancomic. It'll be a non-DnD setting, in a fantasy world with magic and some kind of technology, in a state of tyranny,war etc.
    So while I had time, I designed the first main character. I don't have a full backstory prepared and still no name...

Please give some comments about the design. It's my first time doing weapons and scarfs... and the hair is always a difficult part
    Thanks !
    The scarf should be on his shoulders and therefore his arms should not stick out of them like a shirt.

Otherwise, not bad
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks !
    That is pretty awsome, the hair and the weopons are great
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Weapons are good.
    The arms look like they should be bigger and below the scarf.
    I think the hair just needs a bit more curves, and not so much sticking out of the back.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

11. - Top - End - #521
    Barbarian in the Playground

I reakon we should have some kind of vote, like with the species, to determen the forms of travel between planets, so that how the ships work, and how technalogically advanced everyone is.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    Weapons are good.
    The arms look like they should be bigger and below the scarf.
    I think the hair just needs a bit more curves, and not so much sticking out of the back.
    Well, the hairstyle is supposed to be part ponytail... And usually they stick out of the back of the head...
    Last edited by Hyoumu Yau; 2010-04-07 at 07:41 AM.

Be nice, give him a hug. Look how much he want's it!

Avatar and Signature were made by me

13. - Top - End - #523
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, the hairstyle is supposed to be part ponytail... And usually they stick out of the back of the head...
    I think slizard meant that it looks a little rigid. It'd be better if the ponytail curved downwards.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

You need to think about the perspective

The ponytail shouldn't be this visible or at this angle when seen like in that picture.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

The ponytail is fine (in sticking out anyway), but the parts above it are sticking out way too much.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

I have something for all of you.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #527
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey guys, glad to see you kept this thread alive while I was away.
    I'm going to read all the previous post, get back to you all about the universe we are building and update the main page with the new content.

I should do this all until tomorrow night
    It's BACK!

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing that no-one had done one as of now, I've draw a picture of a Pleocygran. Hopefully it's faithful enough, if Herpes needs any adjustments I'll happily provide them (the black figure is a normal human for comparison).

On another note, I'm calling a vote for the type of FTL drives we are going to be using. Voting will end 14/09/10, and you can only vote for one type of drive:

• Jump drives (instant teleportation) (2: Mad Mask, Methos Hazara)
    • Ship-based alternate universe drives (hyperspace, subspace, etc)
    • Gates (a.k.a. "wormholes") (1: Herpestidae)
    • Ship-based spacetime distortion drives (a.k.a. "warp drives") (1: Szilard)
    • Space railroads

If there's anything else just tell, me, I'll add it.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-04-11 at 07:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing that no-one had done one as of now, I've draw a picture of a Pleocygran. Hopefully it's faithful enough, if Herpes needs any adjustments I'll happily provide them (the black figure is a normal human for comparison).

Pleocygrans are more like Crab-Centaurs. The bottom half is good, but could be a bit rounder. Just make the top more human-like.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Pleocygrans are more like Crab-Centaurs. The bottom half is good, but could be a bit rounder. Just make the top more human-like.
    Is this better?

The arms somewhat hide the torso, but it's fully human. Though I changed the breasts into chelicera, because they looked kinda wrong on an arthropod-like creature.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm voting for warp.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this better?

The arms somewhat hide the torso, but it's fully human. Though I changed the breasts into chelicera, because they looked kinda wrong on an arthropod-like creature.
    Better, but Pleocygrans have 2 hands and 2 claws.

Also, as to the travel, I say that there should be wormholes, but only vehicles built for the purpose can travel through them because of some unpronounceable and made-up reason.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

On another note, I'm calling a vote for the type of FTL drives we are going to be using. Voting will end 14/04/10, and you can only vote for one type of drive:
    I don't think we're at the right time for a vote on this yet. And I'm not really sure whether we're going about developing the FTL systems the right way either, we should maybe decide on a set of effects and limits to those effects, then figure out which cause works best.
    Alternately, we could do it similarly to how we came up with races. Have a series of proposals, with causes, effects and limits put down already, then vote on those.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Orc in the Playground

Right guys, I need opinions. I have an almost idea for a comic called 'Doodlewars: The Eraser Strikes Back!' (working title). I haven't even got much of a plot yet, just a concept more than anything. I only have one fairly hastily put together picture, I wanted to get something done whilst I was feeling inspired.

Basically all the characters are doodles that have essentially because sentient and removed themselves form the notebook they were created in and (in the absence of the human that drew them) try to carve out a life for themselves on his desk. However to make this a little different I am combining the art with real images as seen in the spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show

The reason they have blue lines running through them is because they came out of a pad with ruled lines in it similar to a jotter or... well a notepad I suppose!

So opinions about the idea?

I think this could be an interesting project to work on but I do have an issue, resizing the images I have drawn myself on Inkscape is fine but when I do it to the photographs it tends to blur them, how do I combat this? Sorry if that is a stupid question.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

25. - Top - End - #535
    Bugbear in the Playground

First:
    Special thanks to MM for making the vote.

I would like to place my vote at Jump drives (instant teleportation), but I would like to say something about those jump drives.

I'm talking about Dune style of jump. A distortion of space itself (only space) to bring to points of the third dimension together in the fourth dimension providing instant movement without moving.

MadMask, can you set the vote to last for 10 days? I think that would be enough time for everyone that is interested to vote and to propose new ideas.

Now, regarding factions/species/nations:

About colonies and size here is what I could gather, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. The Zodohaani: Single government, associated with more than one planet and colonies. Rules a sector or a system.
    2. The Nakessh: Nomand people with relative small numbers, hold a small number of colonies. Single government.
    3. The Caz: Single government. Only have one planet. Heavily present in multi-faction ships and colonies.
    4. The 2.0: Not a faction. Just a multi-faction subculture of people interested in improve themselves with technology.
    5. The Krashningrions / The Pleocygrans: Single government. Holds many colonies and planets. Rules a sector or a system.
    6. The Argotanians United: Multi-faction corporation. Single government based on corporation hierarchy. Rules over an entire sector.

And now, as a common consensus, we may need this:

Earth Union:

Earth Union is the form of "government" that rules Earth. Much like the, now extincted, United Nations, the Earth Union has representatives from all governments and was made to take decisions that would affect the entire planet and its colonies. It was decided that no country would hold colonies in space, but each colony would, equally, belong to the Earth Union.

Due to the distance from the colonies and Earth they all tend to act like small countries that are bound to Earth. With no real political influence but act, mostly, independent.

---

On another note:

Star Systems is a general consensus, so now is time for two things:
    1 - Vote on the FTL travel system.
    2 - Stop overthinking the factions for a moment and start thinking on the actual star system map. We don't need to use real star systems out there, I think we can come up with our own.

The Star System Map, unlike normal terrain map, can be done in modules. So what we need is figure out:

1. Planets, colonies and systems that our factions rule.
    2. Make individual maps for them.
    3. Put all approved maps together in a huge Star System Map.
    It's BACK!

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    First:
    Special thanks to MM for making the vote.
    You're welcome.

I would like to place my vote at Jump drives (instant teleportation), but I would like to say something about those jump drives.

I'm talking about Dune style of jump. A distortion of space itself (only space) to bring to points of the third dimension together in the fourth dimension providing instant movement without moving.
    Interesting. I'm supporting this idea.

MadMask, can you set the vote to last for 10 days? I think that would be enough time for everyone that is interested to vote and to propose new ideas.
    Alright.

2. The Nakessh: Nomand people with relative small numbers, hold a small number of colonies. Single government.
    I believe Nakessh society is too fragmented and dispersed to have a single government. Remember that most of them travel in wandering fleets.

3. The Caz: Single government. Only have one planet. Heavily present in multi-faction ships and colonies.
    There are at least two nations on the Caz's planet, if I remember correctly.

5. The Krashningrions / The Pleocygrans: Single government. Holds many colonies and planets. Rules a sector or a system.
    I believe there are many governments for the Pleocygrans. "The head of any given state is called the "Commander,[...]"

And now, as a common consensus, we may need this:

Earth Union:

Earth Union is the form of "government" that rules Earth. Much like the, now extinct, United Nations, the Earth Union has representatives from all governments and was made to take decisions that would affect the entire planet and its colonies. It was decided that no country would hold colonies in space, but each colony would, equally, belong to the Earth Union.

Due to the distance from the colonies and Earth they all tend to act like small countries that are bound to Earth. With no real political influence but act, mostly, independent.
    Seems reasonable. I support this.

---

On another note:

Star Systems is a general consensus, so now is time for two things:
    1 - Vote on the FTL travel system.
    2 - Stop overthinking the factions for a moment and start thinking on the actual star system map. We don't need to use real star systems out there, I think we can come up with our own.
    We should possibly think about the technology and how "realistic" it will be. Will we use the common space opera near-fantasy rayguns or more plausible firearms? There are many aspects of the technology that should be defined somewhat early.

The Star System Map, unlike normal terrain map, can be done in modules. So what we need is figure out:

1. Planets, colonies and systems that our factions rule.
    2. Make individual maps for them.
    3. Put all approved maps together in a huge Star System Map.
    Actually, I believe it would be better if we did one starmap and several planetary system maps for each system, for scale reasons. I volunteer to be the starmap cartographer, though I'll have to know how everyone thinks each system should be in relation to each other before I do anything official.

I say the rough diameter of the "civilised sphere" should be a bit less than fifty parsecs (about 163 light years), allowing for a very large number of stars while still having a reasonable size.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Nakeesh technically have a single government. After the Nanopocolypse some people tried to keep the Nakeesh Republic alive, and on one of the larger colonies, the Congress still meets. However, they have no power and they know it. Occasionally they'll try to pass resolutions or start programs calling the Nakeesh to unite again under one banner and do something great, or they send a message out denouncing or approving of some event that's occurred, and major planets technically have Nakeesh embassy's.

However, everybody knows the Republic is a government without a nation to govern. It survives because it's easier to have it than to get rid of it, and because, while the congress no longer represents the people of Nak (It's very difficult for elections to be held so basically people who want to join go up to the leader of whatever group they're with and say "I want to be our representative to the congress" and the leader says "Sure whatever, we had an election, you won"), it does represent a hope. A hope that one day the Nakeesh will re-unite, and when that happens, the Republic intends to be around to help in whatever way it can.

However, I wouldn't put that on their official entry. Each refugee fleet and colony governs itself, most are republics of one sort or another, though there is no one universal system.

Edit: An example of how to describe a Star system.

Nakal System
    This system was once the hub of Nakeesh civilization. Nak was the only planet within it's habitable band, and while some Nakeesh carry on in colonies on the other planets, it's no longer a major center.
    Because the system is the origin of a civilization, people use the names the Nakeesh gave the planets, instead of the standard system (Nakal I, Nakal II, Nakal III ect)
    Planets (Distance from sun)
    Rakel: A small rocky world with no moons, it's tidally locked with Nakal.
    Nak: Once the homeworld of the Nakeesh, it's been stripped bare. Even the orbital habitats have moved away. Small communities exist on the planets two moons, but they are not much.
    Kalack: A larger, rocky planet in possession of an atmosphere(Not breathable) and even several large bodies of water (Covering about 30% of the planet's surface), however, frequent storms and seismic activity make it all but uninhabitable.
    Rorch: A Gas Giant, four moons.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-04-11 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe there are many governments for the Pleocygrans. "The head of any given state is called the "Commander,[...]"
    On a planet-wide scale, they basically have the equivalent of the United Nations, where a representative from each Colony/State/Whatever (Though not the commander him-or-herself) to deal with such things as war and inter-planetary affairs.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    Right guys, I need opinions. I have an almost idea for a comic called 'Doodlewars: The Eraser Strikes Back!' (working title). I haven't even got much of a plot yet, just a concept more than anything. I only have one fairly hastily put together picture, I wanted to get something done whilst I was feeling inspired.

Basically all the characters are doodles that have essentially because sentient and removed themselves form the notebook they were created in and (in the absence of the human that drew them) try to carve out a life for themselves on his desk. However to make this a little different I am combining the art with real images as seen in the spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show

The reason they have blue lines running through them is because they came out of a pad with ruled lines in it similar to a jotter or... well a notepad I suppose!

So opinions about the idea?

I think this could be an interesting project to work on but I do have an issue, resizing the images I have drawn myself on Inkscape is fine but when I do it to the photographs it tends to blur them, how do I combat this? Sorry if that is a stupid question.
    I love this idea so much. Please make it!
    If you do I will e-marry you... if you'd like.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    Ctrl+Shift+L brings up the Layer Drop Box... thing. Import the photo into Inkscape but don't change its size. Then put the characters on another layer.