New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default GitP Conworlding

"Listen carefully, young acolyte. All ores possess the metal spirit. All ores possess the desire for life. All ores possess the desire for freedom. But all ores dream the rock-dream, the unfire-dream. It is our calling, to set free the metal spirit trapped within the ore, and bring it to transcendent glory in the machine form, so that it might move and work and live and glow and change. Liberation of the spirit from the cold, unfeeling matter of the earth! Birthed into new life as a machine, not as some unthinking, unfeeling rock. What is our mission? To give life. What are our tools? Fire and coal and steam and water. Who do we serve? The ore, boy, the ore. The ore, and the spirit it contains. Remember my words, acolyte."
    ---High Priest Soterion, to an acolyte

Welcome to the Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project!

Here, us Playgrounders are making a Conworld (Constructed World) for fun. No other reason then that. Anyone can join if they want, there's no restrictions.

Now, understand that this World isn't going to be made for roleplaying. So there isn't any restrictions besides the Willing Suspension of Disbelief. And even then, that can go to hell if the idea works. It's our world!

Currently, the idea of the world is such:
    The world is a sort of Clockpunk/Steampunk/Alchemypunk, which we dub as Gearchemypunk. It is ruled by three races. The Humans, the gnomes, and the crocadilian Sharlaq.

The humans are the aggresive ones, warlike and violent. Yet they are honourable and courageous. The humans seem to have a strange connection to magic.

The gnomes are the progressive ones, industrious and masters of the machine. They rule the skies from their floating cities, ready to strike when needed.

The Sharlaq are the traditional ones, peaceful and quiet. They work the farms and orchards all day. Yet at the same time, they are strong and steadfast in their beliefs.

Now, in general, this is a broad introduction. There are differences within the races, and nations. This, though, will give a good example of the world we are building.

While we do work on a whole variety of areas, we generally focus on one thing at a time. What we are working on at the time will be posted here.

Currently, we are working on:
    Cultural Stuff

Remember, anyone is allowed to contribute, and there's no such thing as a stupid idea, only a stupid person giving the idea.

With that said, roll up your sleeves, 'cause we've got some Conworlding to do.

Here is the accompanying Language Thread.
    And here's the wiki!
    Title page by Soterion.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-11-03 at 06:04 PM.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Conworlding

World building without the limits of D&D rules may indeed appeal to people that have an interest in these sort of things but have little to no knowledge of campaign rules.

So I think this can be fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I worldbuild for absolutely no reason a lot, so this might be interesting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    I worldbuild for absolutely no reason a lot, so this might be interesting.
    So do I, I have two on my shelves sleeping slowly. One being country with an especially huge city (dwarfing Tokyo in size, for what's worth), the other being a full-fledged world.

But I'd be interested :)
    Beware the many wrong things in this spoiler!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Order of the Stick Jr.
    Meet : Alexander, Joan, Ross, Leilandius, Hitomi, Ngoc and Arduvanius

As interpreted (and drawn) by yours truly, Yiuel

Yiuel LeMelvillois
    Only on blank paper do we write the best stories...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'd certainly be most interested!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I particularily like mapping - so if you want me to, say, draw up a map and have people take it and develop it into something, that's an option. Like adding borders and locations and stuff. Probably would be a kinda backwards way if doing things though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hourglass of Zihaja isn't made specifically for a campaign, although it is made to comply with D&D rules. This project does sound interesting, however. I like to create stuff. I don't have a real speciality, but I could do cosmology, races, organizations, and stuff like that.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2010-01-17 at 08:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm very interested too.

I'm willing to help If I have time. I'd probably do best working on the conlang, since I have some background in linguistics in addition to being trilingual.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesomeness!

@ Darklord and Yiuel: Yeah, same. I got this idea while working on my conworld. I was thinking, "What if the playground got together and made a conworld?" Also, Darklord, we'll work on the map when the time comes, but thank you for the offer.

@ Cycoris: Sweet, thanks! I would work on a conlang, but I haven't really finished one, so it may accidently come out as a relexe or a sink basin.

@ Everyone else: Thank you for offering to work on it. This is gonna be awesome. And you can still join up after this if you want, there's no deadline to sign up, of course.

So, the first order of business, scifi, or fantasy?

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, if we go with sci-fi, then we'd have to tackle the whole idea of terraforming and its role in said conculture. Then we'd have to come up with other values for conmoisture, conterrain and finally, conair.

....Sorry.

Anyway, I'm definitely intrigued by the idea as well. I've been an avid worldbuilder for quite some time, and I'd love to help out with something like this. I would probably focus most on the cosmology, races and maybe culture/politics, but I'll be like Lord Xavius and say I don't really have any specialization.

As for the business end of my post, well, I vote for a fantasy setting.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I can help with the mapmaking as well.

I'l probably help a bit with the conlang(s)

Possibly write stuffs(short stories and such) for mythology, etc.

Probably stuffs with politics/religions. But we're going to have to not do religion/politics/be very carefull with it/or go off-site.

My vote goes to fantasy as well.

Also, no elves(dunno bout dwarves)?,they've been pretty done and I think atleast one variation of them is in most fantasy worlds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Ceikatar!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I can help with the mapmaking as well.

I'l probably help a bit with the conlang(s)

Possibly write stuffs(short stories and such) for mythology, etc.

Probably stuffs with politics/religions. But we're going to have to not do religion/politics/be very carefull with it/or go off-site.

My vote goes to fantasy as well.

Also, no elves(dunno bout dwarves)?,they've been pretty done and I think atleast one variation of them is in most fantasy worlds.
    I full-heartedly agree about the elves. Elves are cool and all, but really, one of the few people who did it right was (who else) J.R.R.Tolkien.So yeah, no elves.

And about the religion/politics, as far as I know, it's fine, as long as we're not talking about real religion/politics.

EDIT: @Zarah: LOLORZMAFLAN!!!
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-01-17 at 06:05 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

One vote for developing technology/similar to early renaissance/low fantasy. Blackpowder, primitive handcannons and smoothbore matchlocks?

And there simply must be an abundance of megafauna, like large quadrapedal herbivores!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

reporting for duty! this should be fun!

as for general theme, i would like a fantasy + sci-fi, possibly steam punk... that might sound confusing, but what i mean, is a point where technology is around and its either A: in early stages of development or B: the world has been torn between technology and magic, where there are those who use magic, who object against technology and vice versa (then the crazy scientists mixing the 2 in secret)

blah, sorry, im talking crazy ignore me
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    One vote for developing technology/similar to early renaissance/low fantasy. Blackpowder, primitive handcannons and smoothbore matchlocks?

And there simply must be an abundance of megafauna, like large quadrapedal herbivores!
    Large Quadrupedal Herbivores. Because you can never have enough of them.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebottom View Post
    reporting for duty! this should be fun!

as for general theme, i would like a fantasy + sci-fi, possibly steam punk... that might sound confusing, but what i mean, is a point where technology is around and its either A: in early stages of development or B: the world has been torn between technology and magic, where there are those who use magic, who object against technology and vice versa (then the crazy scientists mixing the 2 in secret)

blah, sorry, im talking crazy ignore me
    Welcome aboard, soldier.

Interesting. Steampunk is always fun. But maybe something a bit lighter tech.

So, right now, we have a general agreement on fantasy, with some suggestions of steampunk fantasy, and early rennaissance. I would go for something in the middle: Clockpunk.

Imagine, the world's machines running on gears and clockwork. It's my favourite Punkpunk setting.

So, what do the rest of you guys think?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Needs moar dinosaurs.

17. - Top - End - #17

I like steampunk/clockwork settings too, but allow me to be the first to add a caveat. If we do go with steampunk or clockwork technology, then we need to ready some hand-waves in order to explain how things work or it'll turn into a massive headache very, very quickly. Believe me, I know from experience. Trying to explain how steampunk spaceships work without magic is a recipe for insanity.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, maybe less steampunk/clockpunk, more as just the general tech level and less the entire theme of the world.

Still, it WOULD give us an excuse to make primitive airships.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-01-17 at 09:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

But how would they isolate the helium/hydrogen necessary to make a lighter-than air aircraft?

And I clarify, the world should have large dinosaur-like creatures, some of which are used as mounts. We should also include creatures the size of the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus.

A wheellock gun is a real firearm device that used clockworks to strike a flint to ingite the powder. It could be easily included.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    But how would they isolate the helium/hydrogen necessary to make a lighter-than air aircraft?

And I clarify, the world should have large dinosaur-like creatures, some of which are used as mounts. We should also include creatures the size of the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus.

A wheellock gun is a real firearm device that used clockworks to strike a flint to ingite the powder. It could be easily included.
    Well, I guess unless we figure that out, it'll be put to the side.

Dinosaurs... while they ARE awesome, it all depends on how they fit into the world. What I mean by that is, well, right now, we have no general reason why dinosaurs would still be on the planet. We'll also put that to the side, until we get to the Fauna, at least. Is it okay with you?

The wheelock gun seems to fit, so sure.

Now, currently we have a Steampunk/Clockpunk fantasy world. Anyone else has any comments or suggestions?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Make it clockpunk/ and chemicalsteampunk? This way we still get airships and such, but not really that advanced steampunk?

A other option would be to make steampunk just rarer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooooh: alchemypunk. Think about it. Clockpunk is based on the idea that the designs of Leonardo et al were built and actually worked, steampunk is the extension of steam technology beyond the logical limits. Alchemypunk: where the works of Paracelsus and Nicholas Flamel actually work. And then we get "flammable air" (hydrogen) for use in our airships.

(Paracelsus discovered hydrogen, by the way.)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Excuse me, but what exactly is a "conworld"?
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    Excuse me, but what exactly is a "conworld"?
    Constructed world. A world you imagine, basically.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yiuel LeMelvillois

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alpharius 9, Conworld of the Federation: where, by the early years of the twenty-third century, the burgeoning Geekstorm had centered its annual, biannual, and quadriannual celebrations of its various fandoms. The conventions held on Alpharius 9 last now, not for a few days, but months at a time, as millions upon millions of nerds pour through SanDiegoComicCity's Central Convention and Gaming Matrix to partake of the sweet, geeky nectar therein. Visitors to the planet can rest assured that the damages from the Trekker/Trekkie civil wars of 2678 have been fully repaired, and the streets are once again safe to walk down while dressed as a Sailor Senshi. Alpharius 9: Drink And Enjoy!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. I got that you made up a world, but I had no idea why there was a con thrown infront of it. Thanks.

Anyway, I agree, there should be dinosaurs.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    So, the first order of business, scifi, or fantasy?
    It could go either way, they also aren't mutually exclusive. Scifi tends to be a reflexion on what science can bring on us, while fantasy is playing with the metaphysics of the world. So both could be done in the same conworld.

(Also, I have background in linguistics, lots of linguistics, and urbanism, especially transportation schemes. May help a lot.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Yiuel LeMelvillois

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Make it clockpunk/ and chemicalsteampunk? This way we still get airships and such, but not really that advanced steampunk?
    A other option would be to make steampunk just rarer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soterion View Post
    Ooooh: alchemypunk. Think about it. Clockpunk is based on the idea that the designs of Leonardo et al were built and actually worked, steampunk is the extension of steam technology beyond the logical limits. Alchemypunk: where the works of Paracelsus and Nicholas Flamel actually work. And then we get "flammable air" (hydrogen) for use in our airships.

(Paracelsus discovered hydrogen, by the way.)
    Interesting ideas. Chemical Steampunk/Alchemypunk Especially. So, that would mean we'd have Clockpunk/Steampunk/Alechemypunk. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterion View Post
    Alpharius 9, Conworld of the Federation: where, by the early years of the twenty-third century, the burgeoning Geekstorm had centered its annual, biannual, and quadriannual celebrations of its various fandoms. The conventions held on Alpharius 9 last now, not for a few days, but months at a time, as millions upon millions of nerds pour through SanDiegoComicCity's Central Convention and Gaming Matrix to partake of the sweet, geeky nectar therein. Visitors to the planet can rest assured that the damages from the Trekker/Trekkie civil wars of 2678 have been fully repaired, and the streets are once again safe to walk down while dressed as a Sailor Senshi. Alpharius 9: Drink And Enjoy!
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    Okay. I got that you made up a world, but I had no idea why there was a con thrown infront of it. Thanks.

Anyway, I agree, there should be dinosaurs.
    Like I said, we'll get to that when we get to the fauna.

Well now, what does everyone think of the Clockpunk/Alchemypunk Fantasy setting?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

I'd like to help, but I don't really do this much. Whatever you need done, just ask.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clockpunk main with alchemy on the side is always good. Some fantastical element that isn't obvious with the world is definitely interesting though. I always like fantasy as mystical rather than elves and dwarfs running around town.

Some form of flying machines is a must though, be it the Da Vinci form of helicopters stuff or airships.