New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Worldbuilding Project

Okay, I got some names for the gods now, I think.

Sea of Chaos is Tsinadqanjiqqtill

The Blind Seer is Densehetensehsharlaq

The Death-light is Denaltateqoidul
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-06-20 at 02:37 PM.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #332
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There even more hard to pronounce than the names of real Aztec gods! Success!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by minored108 View Post
    I'm sure it's very easy for crocodiles.

Zersk's doing a great jog with the language, IMO.
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by minored108 View Post
    It's the side effect of agglutination. You get these humongous words.

Believe me, polysynthetic can be worse at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio d Bard View Post
    I'm sure it's very easy for crocodiles.

Zersk's doing a great jog with the language, IMO.
    I should hope so, considering that they would be speaking it for their entire lives.

Oh, why thank you.

Now, let's see what we can do for the rest of the gods...

The goddess of the sun. The Sun-rider. When she appears, she takes the form of a flying fish. She carries the sun with her on her journey across the skies. The chariot that she rides pulling the sun is pulled by golden raptors (Yes, you heard me, raptors. ).

The god of the stars, and art. The Cosmos-Painter. When he appears, he takes the form of a bipedal apatosaurus made out of fire.

The and the creator of the three races. Creator. When she appears, she takes the form of a female Sharlaq.

The god of plants, the grasslands, and machinery. The Living Grass. When he appears, he takes the form of a blade of grass.

So what we got right now.

The Frozen Light. Swamp, Trees, Fish, Food, War, and Winter.
    Tsinadqanjiqqtill, The Sea of Chaos. Sea, Temptation, Change, Imagination, Home, and Fall.
    Denaltateqoidul, The Death-Light. Honour, Brevity, Mountains, Order, the Moon, and the Journey of Death.
    Densehetensesharlaq, The Blind Seer. Love, Blindness, Time, Clouds, Discords, and Sky.
    The Rip. Nothing, Perception, and Truth.
    The Bloody Head. Death, Life, Deception, Honesty, and Land.
    The Golden Spirit. Family, Fertility, Duty, Tradition, Society, Growing, Breeding, and Spring.
    The Flow. Work, Travel, Redemption, Recovery, Water, Destruction, and Summer.
    The Sun-Rider. The Sun, and Raptors.
    The Cosmos Painter. Stars, and Art.
    Creator. Creator of the Three Races.
    The Living Grass. Plants, Grasslands, Machinery.

and last, but not least...

Mother-Earth. Soul of Everything, Living and Dead.

Quite a Pantheon, don't you think?
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-10-18 at 07:13 PM.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: GitP Worldbuilding Project

First time I've heard of this world. Great idea, although I'm not much help as far as steampunk goes.

I'll be sure to see you guys on the next one. I sure hope it's sci-fi. Then we'll get to make a whole universe!

Go back to your fun. This was pretty much a pointless post.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    First time I've heard of this world. Great idea, although I'm not much help as far as steampunk goes.

I'll be sure to see you guys on the next one. I sure hope it's sci-fi. Then we'll get to make a whole universe!

Go back to your fun. This was pretty much a pointless post.
    Well, I think we'll leave the sci-fi conworld to the Comic Lab.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Conworlding

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    Needs moar dinosaurs.
    Hey people! We finally got those!

Yeah, I believe our Sharlaq Pantheon is complete (for the time being).

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, looking now, I think we went ahead too fast. We haven't even finished the fauna and flora of the Conworld yet, did we?

So, I'm going to start working on the fauna of a floating island, considering that it would be generally isolated from other ecosystems, correct?

Would it seem odd if the creatures on the floating island all had some form of flight or gliding ability?

Also, I think I have some ideas for some Minovsky particles.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Hm, looking now, I think we went ahead too fast. We haven't even finished the fauna and flora of the Conworld yet, did we?

So, I'm going to start working on the fauna of a floating island, considering that it would be generally isolated from other ecosystems, correct?

Would it seem odd if the creatures on the floating island all had some form of flight or gliding ability?

Also, I think I have some ideas for some Minovsky particles.
    I think it depends of the islands' size. If we have huge pieces of floating mountains, I would believe there were some land animals, but most of them flyers/gliders. But if they're just small rocks (just a few buildings in each piece), ALL of them should have some sort of flying ability.

And tell me something about this "particles". =D

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, good points there. I`m guessing that there'd be flying rocks of all sizes.

Anyhoo, the idea for the Minovsky Particles was to explain things like the flying mountains. I was thinking that the particle would negate gravitons to an extent, causing chunks of rock to float. Said rocks might be covered on the underside with some kind of material that has an abundance in this.

Another idea was for the ability for only humans to use magic, but I might have to think if I think that's a good idea or not.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, we'll need to explain the flying isles somehow...

But we need to think of how those mountains got over there. I mean, they can't be floating since ever. Yes, they can. World was created by the Gods the way it is now. That's just Sharlak Mythos, it could be just a big-bang-ish universe origin. Anyway, maybe these particles exist, in some extent, inside all materials (elements) but are in small quantities. However, time turns gravitons into anti-gravitons (speed depends on the element in question). It also means that someday, all the world would break apart from low gravity (become gas?).

About magic, whatever way it works, I believe there will be lots of crazy gnomes scientists making experiments to understand (and use) it. I believe they would be jealous about humans' magical abilities and that would make diplomacy ever more difficult.

And for the fauna, I think it would help thinking first about the islands' climate and environment (forests, rocks, snow,... how are the mountains we're talking about).

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, we'll need to explain the flying isles somehow...

But we need to think of how those mountains got over there. I mean, they can't be floating since ever. Yes, they can. World was created by the Gods the way it is now. That's just Sharlak Mythos, it could be just a big-bang-ish universe origin. Anyway, maybe these particles exist, in some extent, inside all materials (elements) but are in small quantities. However, time turns gravitons into anti-gravitons (speed depends on the element in question). It also means that someday, all the world would break apart from low gravity (become gas?).
    Hm... what if there was a type of element that did the opposite; turned anti-gravitons back into gravitons? Thus, we have a linear cycle of... recycling.

About magic, whatever way it works, I believe there will be lots of crazy gnomes scientists making experiments to understand (and use) it. I believe they would be jealous about humans' magical abilities and that would make diplomacy ever more difficult.
    Heh, I can just imagine the circumstances.

Gnome: Augh, dammit, my stupid leg won't stop hurting.

Human: Oh, let me help you with that! *Starts using magic*

Gnome: No, no! I'll just use SCIENCE to heal it! *Walks away*

Human: ...

Did I do something wrong?

And for the fauna, I think it would help thinking first about the islands' climate and environment (forests, rocks, snow,... how are the mountains we're talking about).
    Well, I'd imagine it as a forest-y climate, with a few drier ones.

Of course, there's going to be a few, like the Dwarf Capital, that've been turned into giant floating cities of DOOM SCIENCE!!!!

Like, literally. The Dwarf capital'd be covered with city, including the bottom.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #343
    Orc in the Playground

Hm... what if there was a type of element that did the opposite; turned anti-gravitons back into gravitons? Thus, we have a linear cycle of... recycling.
    Congrats. You just saved the planet (we really need to name it) from total destruction.

Heh, I can just imagine the circumstances.

Gnome: Augh, dammit, my stupid leg won't stop hurting.

Human: Oh, let me help you with that! *Starts using magic*

Gnome: No, no! I'll just use SCIENCE to heal it! *Walks away*

Human: ...

Did I do something wrong?
    Gnome: I DID IT! At least, the fastest and safest mean of transport ever created in this world!
    *POP*
    Human: -port!
    Gnome:

[EDIT]We should have strips of those [/EDIT]

Well, I'd imagine it as a forest-y climate, with a few drier ones.

Of course, there's going to be a few, like the Dwarf Capital, that've been turned into giant floating cities of DOOM SCIENCE!!!!

Like, literally. The Dwarf capital'd be covered with city, including the bottom.
    Well, I guess those cities would have no animals in them (maybe some small birds, tops). The ones that still have some forest, though, could have lots of flying and gliding creatures, as you said before. A six-legged gliding carnivorous mammal (with patagiums); Flying lizard with leaf-like wings; Big round insect that uses his shell to paraglide (he looks like a Kabuto or Parasect); Winged gazelle that uses its wings to increase jumping range (doesn't fly); dragon toucans
    Last edited by Tulio d Bard; 2010-06-12 at 03:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Congrats. You just saved the planet (we really need to name it) from total destruction.
    It's fantasy, we could go out with a type of Heat Death-esque ending.

Gnome: I DID IT! At least, the fastest and safest mean of transport ever created in this world!
    *POP*
    Human: -port!
    Gnome:

[EDIT]We should have strips of those [/EDIT]
    Heh, though we may have to put some limits on human magic, though. Just so stuff like that can't happen.

Not a Vancian System, though. And I'm not sure about an MP System. I'll think about it a little.

Well, I guess those cities would have no animals in them (maybe some small birds, tops). The ones that still have some forest, though, could have lots of flying and gliding creatures, as you said before. A six-legged gliding carnivorous mammal (with patagiums); Flying lizard with leaf-like wings; Big round insect that uses his shell to paraglide (he looks like a Kabuto or Parasect); Winged gazelle that uses its wings to increase jumping range (doesn't fly); dragon toucans
    The cities may have some roaches too, perhaps. Just really small animals.

One thing about the size of the animal is how large the floating mountains are going to be. If they're huge, then we can have some larger animals. If they're smaller, then the animals would have to be small to survive.

The hexapedal animal would be cool, though I wonder which pair of limbs it would have the patagiums on.

Flying lizard. Simply put, awesome.

That might actually be a pretty cool idea. Flying beetles.

The winged gazelle would probably be to big to fly, so that seems like a good idea.

I think I have an idea for the dragon toucs. Basically, they breath fire through a certain type of gas that they keep in a pouch. They get it from filtering the air around them via special "gills" of sorts. When they have enough gas, they can ignite it and breath fire. So they work as a sort of filter for the air world. Kind of like sponges, but they breath fire instead of working for a tyrinnical crab.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345
    Orc in the Playground

Heh, though we may have to put some limits on human magic, though. Just so stuff like that can't happen.

Not a Vancian System, though. And I'm not sure about an MP System. I'll think about it a little.
    I just noticed that I've put "least" where it should be "last". It's almost poetical ("At last, not least, Tulio!").

About the system, I believe we could simply say that only a few individuals are granted with magical powers, which can be used anytime they want, but are very limited. There could be, for example, some people that developed psychokinesis, others with temperature control. But that's just an idea (personally, I don't like it).

The hexapedal animal would be cool, though I wonder which pair of limbs it would have the patagiums on.
    I was thinking all of them. Two frontal legs could be used only to climb trees/walls , having a single (it could be more) big hook-like claw. The mid ones would be used to balance and the back ones, the strongest of them, to give impulse. When walking in a horizontal surface, it rarely uses the climbing claws, standing mostly on four feet. When it jumps from a high place (using its back legs to impulse), it stretches its frontal legs in order to grab a tree and the others to open the membranes.

Again, that's just the first idea I had and suggestions are always good.

I think I have an idea for the dragon toucs. Basically, they breath fire through a certain type of gas that they keep in a pouch. They get it from filtering the air around them via special "gills" of sorts. When they have enough gas, they can ignite it and breath fire. So they work as a sort of filter for the air world. Kind of like sponges, but they breath fire instead of working for a tyrinnical crab.
    So, it uses the fire to make some sandwiches?
    I was thinking it could get that gas from his own body (respiratory or digestive system), but "gills" sounds good as well. But how do they ignite this gas?

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

I just noticed that I've put "least" where it should be "last". It's almost poetical ("At last, not least, Tulio!").

About the system, I believe we could simply say that only a few individuals are granted with magical powers, which can be used anytime they want, but are very limited. There could be, for example, some people that developed psychokinesis, others with temperature control. But that's just an idea (personally, I don't like it).
    Well, let's see here.

What if it was item-based magic? Let's say humans can do "simple" tricks such as telekinesis, or weak morphing (changing the shape of weaker objects), but they'd need special items with magic infused in them to do more complex magic.

Okay, not that much different from the Vancian System, I guess, but it's a start. Teleportation might use some sort of webwork, like a warp-gate in Sci-fi. It's a thought, but I have no idea how it'd work.

I was thinking all of them. Two frontal legs could be used only to climb trees/walls , having a single (it could be more) big hook-like claw. The mid ones would be used to balance and the back ones, the strongest of them, to give impulse. When walking in a horizontal surface, it rarely uses the climbing claws, standing mostly on four feet. When it jumps from a high place (using its back legs to impulse), it stretches its frontal legs in order to grab a tree and the others to open the membranes.

Again, that's just the first idea I had and suggestions are always good.
    Sounds pretty good, actually. So they'd be hexapedal, have patagiums, and each pair has a different use. Sounds good. But what about their other features. Like, how would they sense stuff? Sight? Hearing? Smell? Some other sense?

So, it uses the fire to make some sandwiches?
    I was thinking it could get that gas from his own body (respiratory or digestive system), but "gills" sounds good as well. But how do they ignite this gas?
    Lol.

Well, that's the hard part to think of. Maybe they carry small amounts of flint in their bodies that they can rub together to make a spark, which ignites the gases that go through their body so they breath fire?

To stop themselves from exploding, they'd release some gas into their mouths, close off the "gas lung", and then ignite it? The inside of their mouths would be fireproof.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347

ooh, can it swim? (Impulse on the back, and membranes). Limited flight (gliding, actually). An awesome example of evolution.

I know what I'm going to say is gonna sound fairly minor and probably thought to be decided much later if ever, but if those races got something similar to a deck of cards, how do you think they'll look? I know most people take the 13 ranks four suits (spades hearts diamonds clubs) for granted, but there are other decks around. Spanish deck has 12 or 10 ranks (some decks don't have eights or nines) with suits like "coins, cups, swords, staves". German decks have some cool suits like acorns and round bells and... something else I've forgot.

Sharlaq decks would have top rank the 8 before the "face cards", since they count in base nine (as per the language thread).
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    ooh, can it swim? (Impulse on the back, and membranes). Limited flight (gliding, actually). An awesome example of evolution.

I know what I'm going to say is gonna sound fairly minor and probably thought to be decided much later if ever, but if those races got something similar to a deck of cards, how do you think they'll look? I know most people take the 13 ranks four suits (spades hearts diamonds clubs) for granted, but there are other decks around. Spanish deck has 12 or 10 ranks (some decks don't have eights or nines) with suits like "coins, cups, swords, staves". German decks have some cool suits like acorns and round bells and... something else I've forgot.

Sharlaq decks would have top rank the 8 before the "face cards", since they count in base nine (as per the language thread).
    I have... no idea. Shouldn't we work on different cultures before we get to this?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    I know what I'm going to say is gonna sound fairly minor and probably thought to be decided much later if ever...
    Told you so.

20. - Top - End - #350

Chimera

Oh, wow. This is wonderful. *sigh* I want to help but my mind is a bit dry and I'm not sure i can match to your brilliance plus I have to finished reading the thread first.

I just want to tell you guys that I'm very impressed, too much to keep silent, and that I will be following your work. Maybe I'll join the discussion sometimes.

Like a poster above said: this is pretty much a pointless post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Salbazier View Post
    Oh, wow. This is wonderful. *sigh* I want to help but my mind is a bit dry and I'm not sure i can match to your brilliance plus I have to finished reading the thread first.

I just want to tell you guys that I'm very impressed, too much to keep silent, and that I will be following your work. Maybe I'll join the discussion sometimes.

Like a poster above said: this is pretty much a pointless post
    Hope so. Currently it's only three of us right now that are active on this project.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey, this is some cool stuff! I might participate a little, if no one minds.

One thing I've noticed (and I apologize if this has come up before, I've read the thread but I might have missed it) is that gnomes seem awfully similar to humans. Maybe give them some little features to distinguish them a little, so they're not just short humans? Maybe they have slimy skin, or catlike eyes, or maybe they communicate partly through pheromones. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas.

And I imagine there would be some physiological features specifically evolved from living on floating islands. I'm no biologist, however, so I'm not really sure what sort of stuff that would be.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    Hey, this is some cool stuff! I might participate a little, if no one minds.

One thing I've noticed (and I apologize if this has come up before, I've read the thread but I might have missed it) is that gnomes seem awfully similar to humans. Maybe give them some little features to distinguish them a little, so they're not just short humans? Maybe they have slimy skin, or catlike eyes, or maybe they communicate partly through pheromones. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas.

And I imagine there would be some physiological features specifically evolved from living on floating islands. I'm no biologist, however, so I'm not really sure what sort of stuff that would be.
    Slimy skinned, cat-eyed gnomes that speak through farts? Funniest idea ever.

Well, we figured that many of the creatures would have the ability to fly, so patagiums and gliding wings a plenty.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

Are we now making our gnomes moe nekochans? The difference with humans is in the high tech level, so some really important gadgets they may have implanted on themselves. I dunno.

25. - Top - End - #355

Chimera

Punk Cyborg Moe Nekochan gnome? I approve!

Just kidding, Seriously unique eyes can be quite cool. Like Golarion elves, their eye is a bit jarring at first but it give a different vibe. I disagree on gadget implants but the use automail-style prosthetics can be quite widespread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

So here's a fast-and-dirty diagram of how I would imagine the dragon-toucans (tougons? dracans?) would produce flame.

Air (red) is sucked into a compression chamber inside the toucan's beak through baffles which compress the air into a high-pressure stream. This compressed air is then combined with alcoholic gases (green) from the toucan's gizzard, which are produced through fermentation of the fruit they eat. A spark is provided by the toucan scraping the rough tip of its tongue along the roof of its mouth, which has a surface that emulates the flint in, say, a cigarette lighter. The toucan can breathe due to air drawn in through the gills (blue), which also allows it to utilize circular breathing to maintain a constant flame.

The back of the toucan's head has a frill designed to protect the gills from backflame.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay, Soterion's back!

And he brought pictures!

Looks pretty good, I think.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay guys. New idea here, for the gnomes.

Now, what we got here is that gnomes are the advanced species here. The thing is, because of some history, they'd be way too advanced in the current era. Consider this; their early flying machines/gliders caused a group to split into two. Consider that these groups are now clearly defined and different ethnolinguistic megagroups. Something has to happen to make sure that the gnomes are still Steamchemyclockpunk. I have an idea.

Uncounted years ago, the gnomes were at the top of their game. They've just discovered the secret to flight, and are colonizing some of the larger floating islands. They also had their eyes set on the world beyond. their Appalachian-sized mountain range.

Then something happened -- a war, corruption, barbarians, whatever -- that cause the empire to fall. With it, the techonology. Gnomes became isolated for centuries. Just recently in the world's history did they recover completely. And even then, they might not have all the technology that the old empire had.

Now, the old empire would have a legacy on the level of the roman empire, maybe greater, maybe it's been so long that it's become some sort of legend. What do you guys think?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Dwarf in the Playground

So we're talking about The Decline and Fall of the Gnoman Empire?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soterion View Post
    So we're talking about The Decline and Fall of the Gnoman Empire?
    Yes, basically.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show