New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Worldbuilding Project

All right. I think I'll only update it tomorrow, though. And what about the layout? Is it good that way?
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the layout looks good.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

So, these are some ideas that I had some time ago about Gnomes and Sharlaq history (it brings a bit of Human too), subjects that we haven’t decided about. They’re mostly based on the various arguments and ideas we had here.

Gnomes

So, first Gnomes were the most developed race in the planet. They were developing advanced technology and expanding in an increasing speed. Times came in which they had to invade human lands. At that age, humans were still a very weak race and Gnomes were simply butchering them all. That triggered Human’s magic potential, allowing them to fight back and hold the Gnomish expansion (consider that magic was unknown to the Gnome Empire, and they’re unprepared for that).

With Humans blocking their way to grow even more, Gnomes were getting anxious. The Empire was under pressure, and many opposite groups began to arise. But the Emperor had one hope: an under-development technology that could take the energy from gravitons-anti-gravitons reactions and use it to power machines. Afraid to lose his chair, he ordered its use immediately, being it ready or not.

Messing with Minovsky Particles is never a good idea (especially if they keep you from falling absurd heights), and taking energy from them left gravitons instable. Some mountains in which the energy collectors were installed fell from the sky, killing many Gnomes. In addition to that, those who survived the fall (this doesn’t include Gnomes who were in islands without that technology – which is most of them) suffered several biological mutations, due to exposure to the machine’s effect (skin is full of wounds, because its gravitons became instable as well).

Although the catastrophe destroyed a great part of the Empire, the Emperor said that it was Humans’ fault. He also hid the mutated Gnomes from the rest, saying that they’re infected by Human magic, and thus should be reported to the authorities if seen in the floating islands (that, of course, was made to prevent them from telling the truth). With a great loss of technology, money and people, the Empire was weak. But, with a new feeling of revenge and anger, Gnomes accepted the government again, willing to fight the new Human menace.

Sharlaq

First, Sharlaq came from the sea (following evolution history). They were strong and fast, needing to fight big sea creatures on their daily lives if they wanted to survive. Living in the sea shore wasn’t easy. There were lots of big monsters, fish schools moved all the time, things were very far from each other, and so on. That’s why Sea Sharlaq were/are much more aggressive than their River relatives. With the need to constantly move, Sharlaq couldn’t worry much about their hatchlings. A sick or wounded individual would promptly be left behind. The only time when Sharlaq stayed months in the same place was during the early weeks of hatchling lives. When the young crocs became grown enough, many would left the group and create their own, once bigger group would attract more predators and make it difficult to find food.

The first groups moved up the river when a said mystical sign was saw in the skies deep into the land (star, comet, Gnome mountains falling?). Those Sharlaq ended up in the swamps, where statues of ancient gods were found. With time, life became much easier. Food could be found much easily, there were no big predators to worry about, and there was no more need to keep moving. The first Sharlaq cities began to appear, where croc people could create their child in peace. Time also made their bodies smaller and lighter and their scales became darker (salt water Sharlaq were light green – greenish blue), both better for the swamp life.

-------------------------

I think that’s it. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Neat, let's check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio d Bard View Post

Gnomes

So, first Gnomes were the most developed race in the planet. They were developing advanced technology and expanding in an increasing speed. Times came in which they had to invade human lands. At that age, humans were still a very weak race and Gnomes were simply butchering them all. That triggered Human’s magic potential, allowing them to fight back and hold the Gnomish expansion (consider that magic was unknown to the Gnome Empire, and they’re unprepared for that).

With Humans blocking their way to grow even more, Gnomes were getting anxious. The Empire was under pressure, and many opposite groups began to arise. But the Emperor had one hope: an under-development technology that could take the energy from gravitons-anti-gravitons reactions and use it to power machines. Afraid to lose his chair, he ordered its use immediately, being it ready or not.

Messing with Minovsky Particles is never a good idea (especially if they keep you from falling absurd heights), and taking energy from them left gravitons instable. Some mountains in which the energy collectors were installed fell from the sky, killing many Gnomes. In addition to that, those who survived the fall (this doesn’t include Gnomes who were in islands without that technology – which is most of them) suffered several biological mutations, due to exposure to the machine’s effect (skin is full of wounds, because its gravitons became instable as well).

Although the catastrophe destroyed a great part of the Empire, the Emperor said that it was Humans’ fault. He also hid the mutated Gnomes from the rest, saying that they’re infected by Human magic, and thus should be reported to the authorities if seen in the floating islands (that, of course, was made to prevent them from telling the truth). With a great loss of technology, money and people, the Empire was weak. But, with a new feeling of revenge and anger, Gnomes accepted the government again, willing to fight the new Human menace.
    This seems pretty good. Though one thing is that the story seems to imply that this was a recent event. Now, if we had the Sharlaq split because of this, it would have to be an event that happen quite a time ago. And if we want the Gnomes' technology to be generally Gearchemypunk, it needs to be an ancient event. How about this: included in the islands that collapsed, there was an important city, possibly the capital, or something almost as important. With that gone, there wasn't much of a ruling body, and thus the empire soon collapsed. With the empire collapsed, the islands lost contact, and soon became their own separate city-states. Of course, this means that soon they lost memory of the ancient empire, save for stories and such. Eventually, one city-state, with a few old manuscripts and the thirst for knowledge of the Gnoman population, managed to learn the power of flight, and thus the empire was reborn.

Sharlaq

First, Sharlaq came from the sea (following evolution history). They were strong and fast, needing to fight big sea creatures on their daily lives if they wanted to survive. Living in the sea shore wasn’t easy. There were lots of big monsters, fish schools moved all the time, things were very far from each other, and so on. That’s why Sea Sharlaq were/are much more aggressive than their River relatives. With the need to constantly move, Sharlaq couldn’t worry much about their hatchlings. A sick or wounded individual would promptly be left behind. The only time when Sharlaq stayed months in the same place was during the early weeks of hatchling lives. When the young crocs became grown enough, many would left the group and create their own, once bigger group would attract more predators and make it difficult to find food.

The first groups moved up the river when a said mystical sign was saw in the skies deep into the land (star, comet, Gnome mountains falling?). Those Sharlaq ended up in the swamps, where statues of ancient gods were found. With time, life became much easier. Food could be found much easily, there were no big predators to worry about, and there was no more need to keep moving. The first Sharlaq cities began to appear, where croc people could create their child in peace. Time also made their bodies smaller and lighter and their scales became darker (salt water Sharlaq were light green – greenish blue), both better for the swamp life.
    This seems great. Though I'm curious about the evolutionary history. If that's true, then the psychology of the Sharlaq would be very different. But I think we can manage to keep that. How about this: a few million years ago, around the time when the common ancestor for the three races existed, the Sharlaq ancestor "went back to the sea" in a similar way to the cetaceans. The thing is, they came back soon after, making it so that they have their amphibous nature, but they aren't tied to the water like the cetaceans are.

I think that’s it. What do you think?
    Look great, really!

Actually, I think I have an idea for magic.

Many, at a glance, would think that only humans have the ability to preform magic. This isn't true. Well, not entirely true. To be fair, humans are the only beings with the ability to preform what we know as "Arcane Magic". Gnomes and Sharlaq have the ability of magic, but it shows itself in different ways. With the Gnomes, it presents itself with a strange, inhuman control and understanding of machinery. They can construct machinery in ways people wouldn't think of before. The Sharlaq's ability takes it's form in belief. Basically, if more Sharlaq believe something, and they believe it strong enough, it can happen. Of course, it cannot do things like, say, bring back the dead, or raise gods (we think at least ), but it can do things that seem extraordinary.

Also, I'm thinking of some stuff for the humans. I'll post it later.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

UGH, finally finished reading all of the thread.

So; First of all, I have noticed a decided problem with this thread. No tables! Everything is better with tables!

Also, we are going about this in a rather roundabout way. That might work for the languages, but honestly, it just makes it hard to read, and not very interesting. First of all, we have the races, except for the humans. That needs to be remedied. What are the humans like? In the languages thread, there are 3 culture groups, so I am having that many for nations and cultural hubs. Gnomes and Sharlaq individually need to be fleshed out.

For the Sharlaq; small countries, small towns, or small villages? I am tempted with the last one. It makes sense based on the race itself, being very family and socially oriented.

For Gnomes; Should the islands be connected, for a sharing of information, or should they be individual domains? Would each be individual, or would they all be more homogenized?

For the purpose of countries/culture hubs, these will be large cities or places where those in smaller thorps and hamlets will come in order to seek medicine or expanded tool selection, or to sell produce or crops. Also would be cultural hubs, meaning more art/politics than smaller towns and villages.

There are a number of culture hubs per race as per the table below:

{table=head]Race|Number of Culture Hubs

Humans|3

Gnomes|A lot? For now, one

Sea Sharlaq|2

River Sharlaq|3[/table]

Here is a table of details for the Culture Hubs. Because this is a rather small area, most of the cultural differences will be small town to small town. The names are placeholders. Government type is pretty much just random, based on what I think is most thematic for the race. Can be adjusted to taste.

{table=head]Name (Culture, Country)|Government Type|Main Races|Main Form of Produce/Food

Etairatsatjiqq|Oligarchy (Council based)|Sharlaq (River)|Grain based?

Ettenjoqqul|True Democracy|Sharlaq (River)|Grain/livestock

Etsatjiqqtill|Demarchy|Sharlaq (Sea)|Hunting

Kotun|Monarchy|Humans (Southern)|Raiding/Grain (Hunting, to a lesser extent)

Anapo'Ate|Tribal (Chiefdom)|Human (Northern?)|Foraging/Hunting

Sokume|Kritarchy?|Human (Middle)|Trade (Being a trade hub)/Livestock

Densehchaljiqq|Theocracy|Sharlaq (River)|Crops/Hunting

Ehtensehneken|Theocracy|Sharlaq (Sea)|Underwater Agriculture/Hunting

Cirux-Fan|Empirical Feudal State|Gnomes|Depending on individual state[/table]
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

ooh ooh! I got an idea! Underdark.
    Proud Dorf of the Durkon Fanclub
    When in doubt, magma.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    UGH, finally finished reading all of the thread.

So; First of all, I have noticed a decided problem with this thread. No tables! Everything is better with tables!
    Well, we do eat on them...

Also, we are going about this in a rather roundabout way. That might work for the languages, but honestly, it just makes it hard to read, and not very interesting. First of all, we have the races, except for the humans. That needs to be remedied. What are the humans like? In the languages thread, there are 3 culture groups, so I am having that many for nations and cultural hubs. Gnomes and Sharlaq individually need to be fleshed out.
    While there's possibly going to be more nations than that, for now, sure.

[QUOTE]
    For the Sharlaq; small countries, small towns, or small villages? I am tempted with the last one. It makes sense based on the race itself, being very family and socially oriented.
    [QUOTE]

Probably the latter two, but I wouldn't be surprised if countries sprouted up.

For Gnomes; Should the islands be connected, for a sharing of information, or should they be individual domains? Would each be individual, or would they all be more homogenized?
    Recently, they've been connected, and the islands have been sharing information at a extremely fast rate.

For the purpose of countries/culture hubs, these will be large cities or places where those in smaller thorps and hamlets will come in order to seek medicine or expanded tool selection, or to sell produce or crops. Also would be cultural hubs, meaning more art/politics than smaller towns and villages.

Humans|3

Sea Sharlaq|2

River Sharlaq|3[/table]
    Sounds good, though remember, there might be a few more varied cultures as history goes on.

Here is a table of details for the Culture Hubs. Because this is a rather small area, most of the cultural differences will be small town to small town. The names are placeholders. Government type is pretty much just random, based on what I think is most thematic for the race. Can be adjusted to taste.

{table=head]Name (Culture, Country)|Government Type|Main Races|Main Form of Produce/Food

Hm, looks okay. I've never heard of a Demarchy or a Kritarchy before, though.

But remember, it may be subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Urist McDwarf View Post
    ooh ooh! I got an idea! Underdark.
    Underdark.... that's the plane thing from DnD, right? I guess we could put something like that in, but it'd have to implement well with the low magic, Gearchemypunk feel.

Okay, Human write-up.

The Three Human Tribes

The Humans aren't technically from our land. They came from some strange alien land beyond the desert and mountains. Human legends tell of these alien places, with creatures that fly backwards, and great beasts that roam the skies like ancient sentinels. Recently, they traversed the desert, or went around it and entered this land. They weren't exactly welcome. Their strange alien appearance and culture meant that they were attacked by the Ancient Gnoman Empire and sometimes hunted by the Old Sharlaq. They were treated as either prey, or vermin. In the worst cases, science experiments. Their life wasn't easy. And neither were they. They hardened from battle, the dying ones being the weakest of them. They soon got stronger and faster. And harder to kill at that.

But then, the unimaginable happened. Some strength opened within the humans. Something that they only heard of their potential. The power of the Arcane was something that they never thought they could use. But did they ever use it. They were seemingly unstoppable now, and the Sharlaq or the Gnoman Empire couldn't do anything to stop them. And then, something else happened. The Ancient Gnoman Empire fell, leaving the lands not controlled by the Sharlaq or the remaining Gnomes free to control. They quickly gained their footing in the northern, central, and southern part, And their settlements grew into villages, which grew into towns, which grew into cities. Soon, nations sprang up.

The empire of Gnomes is pretty ancient, So there's a lot of history between their fall and now. The human portion of that history is filled with stories of the rise and fall of nations, of wars, of battles. The humans, being naturally hot-blooded, feel compelled to find greatness. Where there is none, they create it. That's the way Team Human rolls. And soon, they will find the drill to pierce the heavens.

[hr]

Well, reference at the end, but that's how I think of the history. What do you guys think?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Well, we do eat on them...
    Oh you.

While there's possibly going to be more nations than that, for now, sure.
    Of course. These are mutable statistics, I just wanted to get this thing rolling.

Probably the latter two, but I wouldn't be surprised if countries sprouted up.
    I could see that happening.

Recently, they've been connected, and the islands have been sharing information at a extremely fast rate.
    OK. So, rough count of how many islands there are?

Sounds good, though remember, there might be a few more varied cultures as history goes on.
    Of course. These are just preliminary.

Hm, looks okay. I've never heard of a Demarchy or a Kritarchy before, though.
    Demarchy: sort of like jury duty (for those in the U.S.), in that a certain number of people are randomly selected from the population, and they make decisions for a period of time, and then a new group of people are chosen. Kritarchy: originally was in ancient israel, was the rule of a people by judges.

But remember, it may be subject to change.
    Of course.

Underdark.... that's the plane thing from DnD, right? I guess we could put something like that in, but it'd have to implement well with the low magic, Gearchemypunk feel.
    Yeah, but it isn't a plane, it is more like the underground. So, like, a giant cave complex underground, that is probably bigger than the surface of the planet. I am not sure how it would be implemented here. Also, I think this world needs a name. Calling it "this world" and "here" is getting a little bit too abstract.

Okay, Human write-up.
    Pretty good.

The humans, being naturally hot-blooded, feel compelled to find greatness. Where there is none, they create it. That's the way Team Human rolls. And soon, they will find the drill to pierce the heavens.
    This literally just made me laugh for 5 minutes straight.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh you.
    Oh me.

Of course. These are mutable statistics, I just wanted to get this thing rolling.
    Alright then.

OK. So, rough count of how many islands there are?
    Altogether, we could say about 50+, varying from about 250 metres wide to
    about 5 kilometres being the biggest. The ones with actual Gnoman towns would probably be around ten-twenty.

Demarchy: sort of like jury duty (for those in the U.S.), in that a certain number of people are randomly selected from the population, and they make decisions for a period of time, and then a new group of people are chosen. Kritarchy: originally was in ancient israel, was the rule of a people by judges.
    Ah, okay. Sounds interesting.

Yeah, but it isn't a plane, it is more like the underground. So, like, a giant cave complex underground, that is probably bigger than the surface of the planet. I am not sure how it would be implemented here. Also, I think this world needs a name. Calling it "this world" and "here" is getting a little bit too abstract.
    Ah. Actually... I think we had an idea for an underground race of insectoids living in caves in the desert a while back. Maybe these caves could be the underdark?

This literally just made me laugh for 5 minutes straight.
    And now you know what their theme song is going to be.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Altogether, we could say about 50+, varying from about 250 metres wide to
    about 5 kilometres being the biggest. The ones with actual Gnoman towns would probably be around ten-twenty.
    OK. So, each is probably feudal, with the emperor being their feudal lord. What island is the capitol on?

Ah, okay. Sounds interesting.
    The first one seemed to fit the Sharlaq pretty well, and the second one is mutable. I was trying to differentiate between the human races.

Ah. Actually... I think we had an idea for an underground race of insectoids living in caves in the desert a while back. Maybe these caves could be the underdark?
    Maybe the land gnomes dug too deep, and found them?

And now you know what their theme song is going to be.
    I really need to go finish that anime.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401

DwarfFighterGuy

Yay! I contributed!
    edit: Maybe some of those gnomes that dug tooo deep got stuck there? They would be the polar opposite of the flying island gnomes culturaly, plus they would live underground while the others live in the air, so yeah.
    Last edited by Urist McDwarf; 2010-08-29 at 04:40 PM.
    When in doubt, magma.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

OK. So, each is probably feudal, with the emperor being their feudal lord. What island is the capitol on?
    There will be a sort of heirarchy system similar to a feudal system, yes.

I'm thinking the Capital will be on a large island in the middle of the Gnoman Empire. It'll look more machine than rock.

The first one seemed to fit the Sharlaq pretty well, and the second one is mutable. I was trying to differentiate between the human races.
    Hm, yes. Well, it looks good.

Maybe the land gnomes dug too deep, and found them?
    Possibly, but remember that the Insectoids will probably live in hive-caves dotting the desert.

I really need to go finish that anime.
    Yes. Yes you do.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

There will be a sort of heirarchy system similar to a feudal system, yes.
    OK.

I'm thinking the Capital will be on a large island in the middle of the Gnoman Empire. It'll look more machine than rock.
    That would be interesting. Would there be smoke, or just steam? For that matter, what metal is most commonly used?

Hm, yes. Well, it looks good.
    OK.

Possibly, but remember that the Insectoids will probably live in hive-caves dotting the desert.
    Maybe after they were released they came into the open? Now they might have a sort of respect for the Gnomes for freeing them.

Yes. Yes you do.
    I know.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be interesting. Would there be smoke, or just steam? For that matter, what metal is most commonly used?
    Probably Steam. Gearchemypunk - Clockpunk + Steampunk + Alchemypunk.

Maybe after they were released they came into the open? Now they might have a sort of respect for the Gnomes for freeing them.
    Interesting idea, but the caves would probably be made by the hives, like a giant ant hill.

Oh. and there were ideas for making the Insectoids treated as slaves.

I know.
    Yep.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405
    Orc in the Playground

I'll need 2-3 posts here.

This seems pretty good. Though one thing is that the story seems to imply that this was a recent event. Now, if we had the Sharlaq split because of this, it would have to be an event that happen quite a time ago. And if we want the Gnomes' technology to be generally Gearchemypunk, it needs to be an ancient event. How about this: included in the islands that collapsed, there was an important city, possibly the capital, or something almost as important. With that gone, there wasn't much of a ruling body, and thus the empire soon collapsed. With the empire collapsed, the islands lost contact, and soon became their own separate city-states. Of course, this means that soon they lost memory of the ancient empire, save for stories and such. Eventually, one city-state, with a few old manuscripts and the thirst for knowledge of the Gnoman population, managed to learn the power of flight, and thus the empire was reborn.
    I was actually in doubt between the idea I posted and one similar to this when I did it. So, I agree.

Though I'm curious about the evolutionary history. If that's true, then the psychology of the Sharlaq would be very different.
    I don't understand your thoughts here. Would you care to explain it a little more?

But I think we can manage to keep that. How about this: a few million years ago, around the time when the common ancestor for the three races existed, the Sharlaq ancestor "went back to the sea" in a similar way to the cetaceans. The thing is, they came back soon after, making it so that they have their amphibous nature, but they aren't tied to the water like the cetaceans are.
    Better that way. Makes sense.

Actually, I think I have an idea for magic.

Many, at a glance, would think that only humans have the ability to preform magic. This isn't true. Well, not entirely true. To be fair, humans are the only beings with the ability to preform what we know as "Arcane Magic". Gnomes and Sharlaq have the ability of magic, but it shows itself in different ways. With the Gnomes, it presents itself with a strange, inhuman control and understanding of machinery. They can construct machinery in ways people wouldn't think of before. The Sharlaq's ability takes it's form in belief. Basically, if more Sharlaq believe something, and they believe it strong enough, it can happen. Of course, it cannot do things like, say, bring back the dead, or raise gods (we think at least ), but it can do things that seem extraordinary.
    I have this is story of mine in which the main guy (and some others) have the ability to make anything they believe be real. Overpower? It would be if it was "want" instead of "believe". Imagine someone said you can do whatever you want, since you believe it. You would be skeptical in the beginning, and only with time and trusting your skills you could do little things. In the end, if you you have a really powerful mind, you can do anything. Furthermore, it's not that you have to believe in your power or things will be the way you want to be. You have to KNOW that things ARE this way (you'll have to cheat yourself). "Don't believe in yourself" - believe that things are the way they aren't ().

If you think about it, you'll notice that doing things people have already done before is easier (and we can assume that nobody knows how magic works exactly), and this way, there won't be overpowered magics and new ones all the time. Humans may also think that magic damages their body and/or mind, because they've seen it and KNOW it's that way.

This way, gnomes KNOW they can work with metals in a near-magical way, sharlaq KNOW their Gods will help them, and humans KNOW they can combine their mechas horses.

Example: If Tullius wanted to create a bridge where none existed before, he'd need to tell himself there IS a bridge there. If he thought "I believe that a bridge will appear there", nothing would happen.

And maybe it's not something that everybody can do.

And thinking about the first guy who did magic, he must have been a hero in a nation of heroes.

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

Also, we are going about this in a rather roundabout way. That might work for the languages, but honestly, it just makes it hard to read, and not very interesting.
    It's probably true. But I think it works like that: brainstorm; select ideas; develop ideas; connect ideas; develop connections; detail everything. So we have to change things in each step, sometimes going back because a particular suggestion that was chosen doesn't work anymore. Probably it's not the best way, but well...

Adding to what MZ said, countries would be hard to manage. A governor would have lots of difficulties to travel/send messages/inspect the towns in the swamps.

Humans|3

Sea Sharlaq|2

River Sharlaq|3[/table]
    I suggested mutated gnomes a few days ago. They'd have lots of cultural differences, living in the fallen islands, being forbidden in the flying cities, etc.

I like the sharlaq names (no idea about the others). I'm not sure if Sea Sharlaq would have a theocracy. I don't know if that's said before, but I think
    they're not as religious as they're River cousins.

Okay, Human write-up.

The Three Human Tribes

The Humans aren't technically from our land. They came from some strange alien land beyond the desert and mountains. Human legends tell of these alien places, with creatures that fly backwards, and great beasts that roam the skies like ancient sentinels. Recently, they traversed the desert, or went around it and entered this land. They weren't exactly welcome. Their strange alien appearance and culture meant that they were attacked by the Ancient Gnoman Empire and sometimes hunted by the Old Sharlaq. They were treated as either prey, or vermin. In the worst cases, science experiments. Their life wasn't easy. And neither were they. They hardened from battle, the dying ones being the weakest of them. They soon got stronger and faster. And harder to kill at that.

But then, the unimaginable happened. Some strength opened within the humans. Something that they only heard of their potential. The power of the Arcane was something that they never thought they could use. But did they ever use it. They were seemingly unstoppable now, and the Sharlaq or the Gnoman Empire couldn't do anything to stop them. And then, something else happened. The Ancient Gnoman Empire fell, leaving the lands not controlled by the Sharlaq or the remaining Gnomes free to control. They quickly gained their footing in the northern, central, and southern part, And their settlements grew into villages, which grew into towns, which grew into cities. Soon, nations sprang up.

The empire of Gnomes is pretty ancient, So there's a lot of history between their fall and now. The human portion of that history is filled with stories of the rise and fall of nations, of wars, of battles. The humans, being naturally hot-blooded, feel compelled to find greatness. Where there is none, they create it. That's the way Team Human rolls. And soon, they will find the drill to pierce the heavens.

<hr>

Well, reference at the end, but that's how I think of the history. What do you guys think?
    Seems great!

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

Also, I think this world needs a name. Calling it "this world" and "here" is getting a little bit too abstract.
    Yeah, but in Sharlaq? English? Random Letters? Both?

It would be better if they weren't as intelligent as our three races. I think the ones we have are enough.
    And they worked in sugar mines.

Yay! I contributed!
    edit: Maybe some of those gnomes that dug too deep got stuck there? They would be the polar opposite of the flying island gnomes culturaly, plus they would live underground while the others live in the air, so yeah.
    Mutaded gnomes? There's one thing, though. Isn't the desert far from Gnomes' lands?

There's that belief that each metal represents something, and that metals have "soul",, or something like that. They have many different metals, each one used to something. Weapons are one metal, tools are other one. I don't know much about metals, so I won't risk myself.

I usually read the thread, go do something else while think, and then come back to post. I always lose some ideas/questions on the way, but I manage to keep a few:

Are we talking about one single continent, right? Things wouldn't be right if history was the same in every continent. And then we'd have lots of cultures, and the world would have too many different intelligent races.

Sharlaq can't swim too far into the ocean, Gnomes don't have machines with enough power to travel too far yet, and Humans don't know the complex technology of making boats can't resist in Sharlaq lands long enough to make ships. Also, there's no good reason to do that (maybe gnomes are trying to expand, but human and sharlaq lands are much closer). Climate is also good (for all we know). So, there's no reason for our races to reach distant continents.

We could have one that is too cold or mainly volcanic, having bizarre creatures there and nothing more. And another one with Gnomes. Wait, didn't I said that gnomes can't fly that far? Yes, I did. But the Old Empire had that technology and got here. It was lost during The Fall and can't be find anymore (or can it?).

Aaaand... about evolution and races:
    When in doubt, I make graphs. (No, I don't )
    Spoiler
    Show

(.jpg messed with colors again. Notice the again)

(Finished )

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll need 2-3 posts here.
    Thank god for multiquoting, eh?

I don't understand your thoughts here. Would you care to explain it a little more?
    Basically, if the Sharlaq were a completely different Genii, their minds might be quite different. Not sure if it's true, though, I just took what I got from a Xenopsychology article, which sorta fits.

I have this is story of mine in which the main guy (and some others) have the ability to make anything they believe be real. Overpower? It would be if it was "want" instead of "believe". Imagine someone said you can do whatever you want, since you believe it. You would be skeptical in the beginning, and only with time and trusting your skills you could do little things. In the end, if you you have a really powerful mind, you can do anything. Furthermore, it's not that you have to believe in your power or things will be the way you want to be. You have to KNOW that things ARE this way (you'll have to cheat yourself). "Don't believe in yourself" - believe that things are the way they aren't ().

If you think about it, you'll notice that doing things people have already done before is easier (and we can assume that nobody knows how magic works exactly), and this way, there won't be overpowered magics and new ones all the time. Humans may also think that magic damages their body and/or mind, because they've seen it and KNOW it's that way.

This way, gnomes KNOW they can work with metals in a near-magical way, sharlaq KNOW their Gods will help them, and humans KNOW they can combine their mechas horses.

Example: If Tullius wanted to create a bridge where none existed before, he'd need to tell himself there IS a bridge there. If he thought "I believe that a bridge will appear there", nothing would happen.

And maybe it's not something that everybody can do.

And thinking about the first guy who did magic, he must have been a hero in a nation of heroes.
    Hm...

I guess I'll think of a different magic form then.

It's probably true. But I think it works like that: brainstorm; select ideas; develop ideas; connect ideas; develop connections; detail everything. So we have to change things in each step, sometimes going back because a particular suggestion that was chosen doesn't work anymore. Probably it's not the best way, but well...
    Not the most organized way of doing things, but it works.

Adding to what MZ said, countries would be hard to manage. A governor would have lots of difficulties to travel/send messages/inspect the towns in the swamps.
    Every nation/empire is hard to manage. It just takes someone who can manage the chaos as a leader.

I suggested mutated gnomes a few days ago. They'd have lots of cultural differences, living in the fallen islands, being forbidden in the flying cities, etc.
    That sounds cool. Not to mention that the places where the fallen islands crashed would look awesome.

I like the sharlaq names (no idea about the others). I'm not sure if Sea Sharlaq would have a theocracy. I don't know if that's said before, but I think
    Interesting point there.

I sorta suggested Soregnijlaqlekh Etsat earlier.

It would be better if they weren't as intelligent as our three races. I think the ones we have are enough.
    What if they were a hive mind of sorts?

Mutaded gnomes? There's one thing, though. Isn't the desert far from Gnomes' lands?
    That's what I thought.

Are we talking about one single continent, right? Things wouldn't be right if history was the same in every continent. And then we'd have lots of cultures, and the world would have too many different intelligent races.

Sharlaq can't swim too far into the ocean, Gnomes don't have machines with enough power to travel too far yet, and Humans don't know the complex technology of making boats can't resist in Sharlaq lands long enough to make ships. Also, there's no good reason to do that (maybe gnomes are trying to expand, but human and sharlaq lands are much closer). Climate is also good (for all we know). So, there's no reason for our races to reach distant continents.

We could have one that is too cold or mainly volcanic, having bizarre creatures there and nothing more. And another one with Gnomes. Wait, didn't I said that gnomes can't fly that far? Yes, I did. But the Old Empire had that technology and got here. It was lost during The Fall and can't be find anymore (or can it?).
    Right. Early on in the project, we decided to work on one area currently, then make the focus of the project bigger if we needed.

Basically, we can have the races finding other continents, regions and lands but not until we've got everything down pat here.

Spoiler
    Show

Ooh, nice. But missing a few races and such.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-08-30 at 02:31 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my gosh, I love multiquotes.

Probably Steam. Gearchemypunk - Clockpunk + Steampunk + Alchemypunk.
    OK. Steam has a pretty harmful effect on the environment. How would that factor in? It probably hasn't been used long enough to have a meaningful impact, but still.

Interesting idea, but the caves would probably be made by the hives, like a giant ant hill.
    I love the way this would look. Giant hives, grey and splotched with brown sprout up out of the soft sand. They hum, and occasionally shake, knocking small debris off of the tops, cascading down. Every so often, a a small beetle man skitters down, and scurries through the sand, looking for food and potential danger.

Maybe they are blind? They could use scent trails like ants, and blindness would fit an underground race.

Oh. and there were ideas for making the Insectoids treated as slaves.
    Hm... this might work. Whose slaves? What do the Insectoids think of this?

Meh. That is a process, but it is not the most efficient process. But I digress, this setting is cool enough so far, that it honestly doesn't matter to me.

I suppose. And if there is a lot of racial tensions, then it would add a whole other layer to governance.

Maybe the strange way that the minovsky particles affected them has caused them to mutate? Honestly, in the biological sense, they probably wouldn't necessarily be mutating. Unless their DNA were to change, which would be very strange. Maybe the changes that have occurred are revered by them? They might think it a gift from the metal spirits.

OK, that can easily be changed. I will be updating the table in this post, after I am done replying to everything.

Seems great!
    Yeah, the writing is pretty good.

I don't care. Probably not sharlaq, because it doesn't quit roll off the tongue. What is the "theme" of this world?

I can see that. If they use scent trails, they wouldn't necessarily have to be. The queen sends them to find food, one wanders around after a scent until it does, and then others follow to get food.

Probably. Hm.

There's that belief that each metal represents something, and that metals have "soul",, or something like that. They have many different metals, each one used to something. Weapons are one metal, tools are other one. I don't know much about metals, so I won't risk myself.
    I love this idea. Also, I love Throne of Kings. I can't wait for the next one, (if he ever finishes writing it ).

Yes. Multiple continents is honestly very hard to pull off, especially when going detailed and in depth.

Exactly. Only once they have used up their current resources will they attempt to expand, and they are probably to early on to try that.

I like this idea.

Spoiler
    Show

(Finished )
    Looks good.

Thank god for multiquoting, eh?
    Oh, yes.

Basically, if the Sharlaq were a completely different Genii, their minds might be quite different. Not sure if it's true, though, I just took what I got from a Xenopsychology article, which sorta fits.
    I guess.

Not the most organized way of doing things, but it works.
    I guess. But again, it is slow, and makes it frustrating for new people to get into the project. That will be offset when the Wiki is done.

Every nation/empire is hard to manage. It just takes someone who can manage the chaos as a leader.
    True.

That sounds cool. Not to mention that the places where the fallen islands crashed would look awesome.
    YES! The islands of the old empire, before The Fall, would have strange ruins, and mysterious fauna and flora, but yet, at the same time, would have the natural world from the ground creeping in. They would likely have treasure hunters (what race would that be most commonly?)

That does not roll off the tongue very well. A good name is pretty much essential. Probably not in another language (english would work just fine, I imagine. It doesn't throw anyone off when they read it, and lets them assume something probably more close to what we want them to assume). Again, first we need to know what the theme of this world is, and then expand off of that. Probably.

I like this idea. Again, one possibility might be to use scent trails.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

If I don't answer to something, it probably means that the answer is "OK", "", "Dunno", or something like that.

I don't get the full meaning of that. Well, there's the simple "land" there and "Gods" in the beginning, but laqlekh...?

The Claw!

Ooh, nice. But missing a few races and such.
    Yeah, there are supposed to be lots of transition races in there and I only showed the ones I know the place they live. Human lands to me are just "somewhere", but they came from the desert. Also, I assumed that some humans would stay there, rather than travel through the mountains (I also "said" that they disappeared later, but that's just one possibility).

Maybe they're not exactly slaved. Whatever race does it, they could drive the Insectoids into doing whatever they want. That's if Insectoids aren't very smart, allowing intelligent beings to easily manipulate them.

Maybe the strange way that the minovsky particles affected them has caused them to mutate? Honestly, in the biological sense, they probably wouldn't necessarily be mutating. Unless their DNA were to change, which would be very strange. Maybe the changes that have occurred are revered by them? They might think it a gift from the metal spirits.
    Or a reward/payment for all the suffering.

I don't care. Probably not sharlaq, because it doesn't quit roll off the tongue. What is the "theme" of this world?
    "Theme"? Like what?

I love this idea. Also, I love Throne of Kings. I can't wait for the next one, (if he ever finishes writing it ).
    I don't know this Throne of Kings. What is it and how is it related?

YES! The islands of the old empire, before The Fall, would have strange ruins, and mysterious fauna and flora, but yet, at the same time, would have the natural world from the ground creeping in. They would likely have treasure hunters (what race would that be most commonly?)
    Humans for adventure and Gnomes for researches/technology search. Though gnomes are probably told to stay far from those places (avoiding "Mutated" people).

Another question: How are we planning (IF we are) to create history? And I'm not talking about how we decide about things or write it, but when in the timeline we're going to stop. RPG worlds are created until some point so that the players can make a difference to the world's future. But this isn't a RPG world (though, depending on me, it'll become later ). So when do we stop (IF we do), and why?

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

OK. Steam has a pretty harmful effect on the environment. How would that factor in? It probably hasn't been used long enough to have a meaningful impact, but still.
    Possibly some effects in the long-term, but nothing as of now.

I love the way this would look. Giant hives, grey and splotched with brown sprout up out of the soft sand. They hum, and occasionally shake, knocking small debris off of the tops, cascading down. Every so often, a a small beetle man skitters down, and scurries through the sand, looking for food and potential danger.
    Ooh, neat!

Maybe they are blind? They could use scent trails like ants, and blindness would fit an underground race.
    Sure, that could work.

No idea. Probably the land gnome's. I'm guessing they wouldn't exactly enjoy indentured servitude to something that isn't their queen.

I suppose. And if there is a lot of racial tensions, then it would add a whole other layer to governance.
    Of course.

The technology grafts into their skin, causing them to become even bigger Techpriest rip-offs. Once that happens, a gate to the warp opens up, and the Omnissiah appears and gives them all half-machine half-gnoman bodies.

Yeah, the writing is pretty good.
    RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWAH.

Steampunk?

Okay, how about "Steamelund"?

I can see that. If they use scent trails, they wouldn't necessarily have to be. The queen sends them to find food, one wanders around after a scent until it does, and then others follow to get food.
    That sounds pretty cool.

Yes. Multiple continents is honestly very hard to pull off, especially when going detailed and in depth.
    So we stay in one place for now.

Gurren-folk Humies, of course.

That does not roll off the tongue very well. A good name is pretty much essential. Probably not in another language (english would work just fine, I imagine. It doesn't throw anyone off when they read it, and lets them assume something probably more close to what we want them to assume). Again, first we need to know what the theme of this world is, and then expand off of that. Probably.
    So, "Steamelund"?

I don't get the full meaning of that. Well, there's the simple "land" there and "Gods" in the beginning, but laqlekh...?
    Laq being the declension, and lekh being the possesive marker. I still have to put that up in the wiki and all.

Yeah, there are supposed to be lots of transition races in there and I only showed the ones I know the place they live. Human lands to me are just "somewhere", but they came from the desert. Also, I assumed that some humans would stay there, rather than travel through the mountains (I also "said" that they disappeared later, but that's just one possibility).
    Ah.

"Theme"? Like what?
    The general feel, basically.

Another question: How are we planning (IF we are) to create history? And I'm not talking about how we decide about things or write it, but when in the timeline we're going to stop. RPG worlds are created until some point so that the players can make a difference to the world's future. But this isn't a RPG world (though, depending on me, it'll become later ). So when do we stop (IF we do), and why?
    We're probably going to start from early on and go up from there. I say we have a sort of "stop point" (As in, we try to get here at the least) just after the beginning expansion of the New Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe they're not exactly slaved. Whatever race does it, they could drive the Insectoids into doing whatever they want. That's if Insectoids aren't very smart, allowing intelligent beings to easily manipulate them.
    Hm. Maybe to be slaved, one must first break the will of their queen? This would lead later superpowers to use them as warriors in larger campaigns, but for now, they would have little impact.

Or a reward/payment for all the suffering.
    I like this.

"Theme"? Like what?
    Like, steampunk, grimdark, happy, epic. The overall feel of the world and universe. Might hold some other things, such as "no humans", or something like that.

I don't know this Throne of Kings. What is it and how is it related?
    It is a really good book series. Wikipedia time!

Humans for adventure and Gnomes for researches/technology search. Though gnomes are probably told to stay far from those places (avoiding "Mutated" people).
    That would be interesting. How would the mutated ones feel about their sky and land kin? Would they sort of kind of pity them?

If you plan on making this a Dungeons and Dragons setting, I am totally up for this.
    I have no idea about the history.

Possibly some effects in the long-term, but nothing as of now.
    OK.

Ooh, neat!
    Thanks!

No idea. Probably the land gnome's. I'm guessing they wouldn't exactly enjoy indentured servitude to something that isn't their queen.
    As I mentioned before, one way to handle the slavery, would be to have the Queens' will be broken, and then have her controlled, while she directs the hive.

The technology grafts into their skin, causing them to become even bigger Techpriest rip-offs. Once that happens, a gate to the warp opens up, and the Omnissiah appears and gives them all half-machine half-gnoman bodies.
    Spoilered for size. I felt that it was sort of relevant.
    Spoiler
    Show

RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWAH.

Steampunk?

Okay, how about "Steamelund"?
    I like this name. A lot.

That sounds pretty cool.
    Maybe the ones who spend the most time outside of the hive are able to see for short periods of time.

Gurren-folk Humies, of course.
    I really can't wait until the gnomes create the technology to make Mecha's, and then attack the humans until they are forced to go underground.

We're probably going to start from early on and go up from there. I say we have a sort of "stop point" (As in, we try to get here at the least) just after the beginning expansion of the New Gnoman Empire.
    OK, that stop point seems to work.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413

DwarfFighterGuy

Well, the underdark would go under most of the world. Maybe one of the islands that fell and left a crater opened up an entrance to the underdark? And, since the gnomes here are sort of gnome-dwarf, these would go more twoardss the dwarven side, being less advanced and more... dorfy.
    Last edited by Urist McDwarf; 2010-08-31 at 07:02 PM.
    When in doubt, magma.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. Maybe to be slaved, one must first break the will of their queen? This would lead later superpowers to use them as warriors in larger campaigns, but for now, they would have little impact.
    That seems like a cool idea.

If you plan on making this a Dungeons and Dragons setting, I am totally up for this.
    I have no idea about the history.
    Hey, as long as you know how to play it, go ahead. I've never played DnD before.

Spoilered for size. I felt that it was sort of relevant.
    Spoiler
    Show

I like this name. A lot.
    Great!

Maybe the ones who spend the most time outside of the hive are able to see for short periods of time.
    Possibly. It might work like an actual insect hive, where different ants are designed for different purposes.

I really can't wait until the gnomes create the technology to make Mecha's, and then attack the humans until they are forced to go underground.
    The things that'll happen...

Well, the underdark would go under most of the world. Maybe one of the islands that fell and left a crater opened up an entrance to the underdark? And, since the gnomes here are sort of gnome-dwarf, these would go more twoardss the dwarven side, being less advanced and more... dorfy.
    Hm, might work. I dunno, really.

Okay, history time.

Years 1 - 500

This is what happened for the next 500 years after the Ancient Gnoman Empire collapsed.

After the Empire's government collapsed, the was a great amount of chaos among the floating islands. The people fought for dominance of what little control they had left, chaotic battles were fought, and general mayhem wrought the streets of the largest cities with riots and uprisings. It was only after twenty-five years of this that the chaos finally settled. In it's aftermath was the now-broken empire; the islands split, the knowledge and technology of the old empire lost or destroyed, and it's population low. All communication was cut off between islands. This left about twenty-five separated island-states that could not contact each other, or leave their islands. The gnomes were stranded.

Over the years, the gnomes stabilized. The islands managed to survive through farming and such. Over the generations, the history of the Empire mixed with legend. Soon, the ones who remembered the Empire were long dead. The only memories were the stories and the ruins. The gnomes were now the island-states: Ciltup-Nas, Korkuk-Nas, Xil-Nas, Soknir-Fan, Yek-Fan, Tep-Nas, and so on (the names are subject to change). Soon, gnomes started learning again. It would be thousands of years, though, before they reclaimed the skies and the New Gnoman Empire would be born.

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away...

The Sharlaq were split. From the coasts, they could just see the shadows of the floating islands that fell. In the north and the south, there was arguments about this. One side thought that these were signs that they should travel to the west, along the rivers. The other side was against this idea. After countless arguments, the Sharlaq split, and the ancestors of the Riverkin traveled up the rivers. Soon, they found the marshes, and settled there. They discovered the secret of agriculture, and farmed fish. By the 500s, they managed to cover sizable parts of the rivers and marshlands. The two races still looked generally similar physically, but their mindset started changing. The Riverkin became more peaceful and calm.

Humans'll come in a bit.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

That seems like a cool idea.
    OK. The queens could probably be sufficiently duped into following orders from outsiders, so at that point, armies wouldn't attack each other, but try to kill the Queen before she made more Insects. They would only go to all out war when the other side would have less Queens than the other. This would lead to many a stalemate and simmering hostilities, and would also partially turn wars into rocket tag. Hm. Maybe, just maybe, this happened in the past?

Some ancient race or another created the Insects in order to be battle soldiers. They fought, and fought and eventually, the two main powers destroyed each other. They left the hives, lone reminders of that horrible war.

The insects would have a strange hate of battle, and would work incredibly efficiently. They would work in order to keep their Queen safe, since if she is taken, then they would be enslaved for war.

Also, I started work on the Insect language (which is likely more a proto-language than the current Sharlaq proto-language, and would be very hard to learn, but they only use it when communicating with other hives, and with outsiders).

Hey, as long as you know how to play it, go ahead. I've never played DnD before.
    Yeah, I think this would be a great setting. The feel is very low powered, and very gritty. E6 might work too. Of course, a lot of the D&D base classes would be all but un-usable.

Possibly. It might work like an actual insect hive, where different ants are designed for different purposes.
    I like this idea too.
    For Hive hierarchy, I have a table.

{table=head]Name of Position|Order in Hierarchy|Task

Queen|
    |Producing children, running the hive

Worker|
    |Creating and maintaining the hive

Sighted|
    |Finding food

Clawed|
    |Protectors of the hive

Fanged|
    |Retrieving food

Water-Bearer|
    |Mate with the Queen[/table]

Workers maintain and construct the hive. They are low and menial, barely having any status at all within the hive.

Queens, obviously, bear children, and usually assign workers to take care of them. Queens also have a connection to the mind of every single bug in the hive.

Sighted are able to see above ground, and lay scent trails for the Fanged to follow. They are physically the weakest of the bunch, but are very quick, and agile.

Clawed stay in the hive and protect their Queen. They fight off predators, and anyone trying to hurt her. A full 25% of the hive might be Clawed at a time. If they need more, any non-Queen can be converted into another species, if the Queen wills it.

Fanged retrieve food for the hive. They are the most physically powerful, but also not very well equipped in a fight. They are slow and lumbering, but able to fend off usually anything that might attack them. They usually deposit food that the Sighted have found, for their Queen's inspection.

Water-Bearers are the mates of the Queen. Because she is almost constantly giving birth, they also function as the raisers of children, if there are enough, and as midwives to the Queen, as well has fertilizing her eggs. Water-Bearers have even less personality as the other jobs in the hive, their entire will and focus going to the Queen and her children. At least one is almost constantly in the process of fertilizing her eggs.

"The things that'll happen...
    ...will be epic." Is what you meant to say.

Okay, history time.

Years 1 - 500

This is what happened for the next 500 years after the Ancient Gnoman Empire collapsed.

After the Empire's government collapsed, the was a great amount of chaos among the floating islands. The people fought for dominance of what little control they had left, chaotic battles were fought, and general mayhem wrought the streets of the largest cities with riots and uprisings. It was only after twenty-five years of this that the chaos finally settled. In it's aftermath was the now-broken empire; the islands split, the knowledge and technology of the old empire lost or destroyed, and it's population low. All communication was cut off between islands. This left about twenty-five separated island-states that could not contact each other, or leave their islands. The gnomes were stranded.

Over the years, the gnomes stabilized. The islands managed to survive through farming and such. Over the generations, the history of the Empire mixed with legend. Soon, the ones who remembered the Empire were long dead. The only memories were the stories and the ruins. The gnomes were now the island-states: Ciltup-Nas, Korkuk-Nas, Xil-Nas, Soknir-Fan, Yek-Fan, Tep-Nas, and so on (the names are subject to change). Soon, gnomes started learning again. It would be thousands of years, though, before they reclaimed the skies and the New Gnoman Empire would be born.

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away...

The Sharlaq were split. From the coasts, they could just see the shadows of the floating islands that fell. In the north and the south, there was arguments about this. One side thought that these were signs that they should travel to the west, along the rivers. The other side was against this idea. After countless arguments, the Sharlaq split, and the ancestors of the Riverkin traveled up the rivers. Soon, they found the marshes, and settled there. They discovered the secret of agriculture, and farmed fish. By the 500s, they managed to cover sizable parts of the rivers and marshlands. The two races still looked generally similar physically, but their mindset started changing. The Riverkin became more peaceful and calm.

Humans'll come in a bit.
    This is great.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

The insects look great.

Hmm... I should be doing the Human history 1-500, but ah, so busy...

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Since Maximum_Zersk suggested it:

Xsoaetsziq (The Blind Ones)

Known as the Blind Ones to those who are unable, or who do not know, the Xsoaetsziq language, the Xsoaetsziq are strange, insect like beings that live almost entirely underground. They dig their hives around their Queen, and are located deep, deep underground. They go above ground for food, and are notorious scavengers, eating anything at all, as long as it is edible.

The hive is a giant mass of underground tunnels and twisting passages. They loop and turn, causing all but the most experienced to become infinitely lost. The hive has very few entrances to it that are on the surface, but usually has one, which appears as a giant dome, which several smallish holes all over it, roughly 20 feet wide.

The Sighted go out of the hive, and lead the Fanged to food, with powerful pheromones. The Fanged take the food back to the Hive, and present it to their Queen. At the end of the day, all of the Xsoaetsziq gather in the Queen’s birthing chamber, where she sits with her Water-Bearers, and gorges on the food. At this point, the hive is in the most danger that it could be in, and the Clawed usually take shifts between gorging and guarding.

The Gorge lasts about 2 hours. Afterwards, the Xsoaetsziq either sleep, or continue working. Usually the Sighted and Fanged sleep, and the Workers take shifts of working and sleeping. The Queen usually sleeps at this point, but even from her unconscious, she guides the Hive.

If the Hive becomes too big for the surrounding area to support it, the Queen will have the water-bearers hatch the Queen Egg, which holds a new Queen, and then the Queen teaches the new Queen all she knows, before the new Queen leaves with about half of the population.

If a Queen dies, then the Queen Egg is also hatched, but contains all of the old Queen’s memories. If the Queen Egg is hatched, and the Queen is still alive, she must immediately set out to make another, which is a process that takes several days. The Queen Egg is incredibly hard, and is actually stronger than many types of stone. Only the Water-Bearers have the right pheromones to be able to hatch the Queen Egg without hurting the Queen.

The Queen is able to change the type of Xsoaetsziq that any of her subjects are, by spending several hours in their presence, and concentrating on them. She usually likes to keep them around the same percentages. A normal hive’s makeup is usually as so:

{table=head]Position|Percent
    Queen|Only 1

Worker|15%

Fanged|20%

Clawed|30%

Water-Bearers|5%

Sighted|30%[/table]

Workers maintain and construct the hive. They are low and menial, barely having any status at all within the hive.

Queens, obviously, bear children, and usually assign workers to take care of them. Queens also have a connection to the mind of every single bug in the hive.

Sighted are able to see above ground, and lay scent trails for the Fanged to follow. They are physically the weakest of the bunch, but are very quick, and agile.

Clawed stay in the hive and protect their Queen. They fight off predators, and anyone trying to hurt her. A full 25% of the hive might be Clawed at a time. If they need more, any non-Queen can be converted into another species, if the Queen wills it.

Fanged retrieve food for the hive. They are the most physically powerful, but also not very well equipped in a fight. They are slow and lumbering, but able to fend off usually anything that might attack them. They usually deposit food that the Sighted have found, for their Queen's inspection.

Water-Bearers are the mates of the Queen. Because she is almost constantly giving birth, they also function as the raisers of children, if there are enough, and as midwives to the Queen, as well has fertilizing her eggs. Water-Bearers have even less personality as the other jobs in the hive, their entire will and focus going to the Queen and her children. At least one is almost constantly in the process of fertilizing her eggs.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Must... work on human history...

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Must... work on human history...
    Good luck.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420
    Orc in the Playground

Next week I'll be on holidays, so expect something here.
    Don't know what, though.

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)