New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Post [Deity] GGGrgggRRRrGrGgHH bLGHHHhhh maAAahgGgylg

Idea for this came to me and as I wrote it it got darker and darker til by the end I was completely disgusted with myself...

The Gurgling God vestige By Djinn_In_Tonic

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Gurgling God
    Greater God (Chaotic Evil)

In the depths of the lowest of the lower planes there are cracks. These tiny fissures continue down, where nothing should be. Reality has ended, the end, no more... yet something bubbles up from below. A horrible voice gulping softly that speaks of things; of all the malice and evil and noxiousness darkness that trickles down, pooling and eating away at the deepest foundations. This is where the Gurgling God sings.

From few places can be heard the echoes of the Gurgling God. From between the bloated lips of a drowned newborn, the drains of a slaughterhouse, or the waters of a poisoned well on a cloudless night. Such are the keyholes through which he can be listened through.

The Gurgling God was there at the beginning, and regardless of how the blood wars go or if heaven destroys the hells, it will be there at the end... perhaps even after. He is not even aware that such things exist. It sings to itself as it dreams of unthinkable things. If others hear it and do these things, then all the better, but it does not care. If all the things that bubble up from its horrible imagination were to happen the structure of all existence would crumble. Beneath the rubble though he would remain.

It is thought by some that the gurgling god is the equivalent of a deific maggot. Feeding on the filth that even the filthy won't touch. One day when everything that could possibly ever be has been, when even death has died, the Gurgling God will slough its skin and emerge to fly in the decaying void.

It is an entity that encompasses both the traits of a deity and the most disquieting of the vestige. None have ever seen the god, but the mental impression it gives is only that of a wriggling shadow, or gulping pool.

The Gurgling God's symbol is a crack with a black tear dripping from it. The Gurgling God has no favorite weapon.

Portfolio: Dirges, forgotten things, horrible depths, liquid darkness, rotting secrets, fetid madness.

Domains: Cavern, Corruption, Knowledge, Madness, Vile Darkness

Cleric Training: One cannot train for the following of the gurgling god. Clerics may come from a madman wallowing within the wastes of his cell or a child trapped in a flooded cellar.

Quests: Worshipers of the gurgling god look for lost, horrible places of the world. Tunnels beneath a collapsing home, forgotten crypts, and sewers of ill repute are their favorites, hoping to find something with which to interest the gurgling god or hear his will more clearly.

Prayers: Prayers to the gurgling god are deadly and monstrous deeds. The most common way is to force another to repeat words with his dying breath through a slit throat. Some worshipers gargle tainted waters or curdled blood or willingly allow themselves to gain pneumonia or some other worse disease that fills the throat with death through which to make their entreaties.

Temples: Worshiping places of the gurgling god or the worst of the findings during their quests. Wherever the hint of his song echoes there it is built. Corpses of pregnant women are preferred, preserved in some horrible way. A bowl is placed in their cavities and filled with the liquefied rot of the excavation process. The liquid then quivers, amplifying the dirge.

-=-=-=-=-=-

The Gurgling God (Vestige)

{table]Vestige Level: 8th
    Bind DC: 40
    Special Requirements: Yes[/table]

Special Requirements: You must be suffering from a disease to summon the Gurgling God.
    Manifestation: When the Gurgling God begins to manifest, its seal begins to bubble and ooze with black slime, and a truly foul stench arises from the dripping symbol. Several seconds later the seal is completely obstructed by a pool of offal and scum, out of which rises a hideous approximation of a human head, formed from the reeking liquid. It has no eyes or ears, and most of its face is taken up with a dripping mouth, opened endlessly as a guttural voice rises in horrible, gurgling song.
    Sign: Dark liquid constantly seeps from the roots of your teeth, causing your mouth to drip a blackish, caustic liquid.
    Influence: While influenced by the Gurgling God, you are drawn to filth, refuse, and excrement. You favor these areas over cleaner locals, and would rather sleep in the sewer than in an inn's bedrooms. Additionally, you must willingly fail your saving throws against any effect that would sicken you or cause you to contact a disease.

Granted Abilities: The Gurgling God gives you ooze-like traits, a sickening song, and the powers to spread disease around you.
    Incomprehensible Form: Your type changes to Ooze. You may compress your body enough to fit through any area a creature up to three size categories smaller than you could fit through.
    Noxious Murmurs: The tuneless dirge of the Gurgling God slips constantly from your dripping lips, sowing madness and sickness through the world. Each foe within 30 feet of you must make a Fortitude save and a Will save. If they fail the Fortitude save, they are sickened for 2d4 rounds. If they fail the Will save, they are confused for 2d4 rounds. Once a creature has saved against this ability, it is immune to further effects of this ability for 24 hours. Additionally, dying creatures within 30 feet of you automatically fail their stabilization checks, and the DC for Heal checks to stabilize creatures within the area increases by +5.
    Exhalation of the Gurgling God: Once every 5 rounds you may breath out a cone of terrible toxins. All creatures within a 30ft cone must make a Fortitude for each of the following diseases or else contact it immediately: Blinding Sickness, Cackle Fever, Filth Fever, The Shakes, and Slimy Doom. The save DC is equal to the save DC of your Binder abilities, if this is higher than the DC the illness would normally have. A new save is required every round, instead of every day, as the diseases progress much more rapidly that normal. Once you determine which diseases the victim contacts, a single Fortitude save is used to decide whether or not the diseases are overcome.
    Uncaring Metabolism: You may consume spoiled food and drink with no adverse effects. You also gain immunity to poison and supernatural diseases.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-02-13 at 01:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: [Deity] GGGrgggRRRrGrGgHH bLGHHHhhh maAAahgGgylg

Dear god, man.

Edit: That means I like it, but couldn't think of anything else to say other than noting the abject horror I faced upon reading this.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2010-01-18 at 05:53 PM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Evocative, but ultimately, it feels pretty pointless to me. He exists, and he is gruesome, and he doesn't care about anything in the multiverse. And...?

The rites and description, which are great and creepy, could certainly be adapted, though. Dagon, f'rinstance?
    Last edited by The Corinthian; 2010-01-18 at 06:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Corinthian View Post
    Evocative, but ultimately, it feels pretty pointless to me. He exists, and he is gruesome, and he doesn't care about anything in the multiverse. And...?

The rites and description, which are great and creepy, could certainly be adapted, though. Dagon, f'rinstance?
    He's there to add background to a cosmology and grant a unique selection of domains.

Most 'gods of destruction' are pretty pointless in the end.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just the title was enough. I would have been happy with that and the name.

Then came the fluff, domains, etc.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

SWEET!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of all the malice and evil and noxiousness darkness that has trickled down, pooled and eaten away at the deepest foundations."
    Probably not a sentence. Join it with the previous sentence via a comma.

"From between the bloated lips of a drowned newborn, the drains of a slaughterhouse, or the waters of a poisoned well on a cloudless night."
    Also probably not a sentence.

"If all the things that bubble up from its horrible imagination were to happen the structure of all existence would crumble."
    Sounds like the beginning of an elder evil campaign... But perhaps too much information. It only begs one to imagine what would cause the structure of all existence to crumble. (Recursive wormholes!)

"Beneath the rubble though he would remain and perhaps think up a better one... so that it could also be worn away."
    He would think up a better rubble?

"Feeding on the filth that even the filthy won't touch."
    Also probably not a sentence.

"The Gurgling God has no favorite weapon."
    Pity. I will bear a flail of ripened entrails in its honor.

"Portfolio: [...] fresh madness."
    I could go for some fetid madness. (?)
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I gotta say I love the name
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Ow. My throat hurts. This thread title is not easy to pronounce.

Incidentally, do you mind if I borrow this a little? My current entry in the monster competition would work incredibly well with this flavour.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

VT, well done! Creepy.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

"Beneath the rubble though he would remain and perhaps think up a better one... so that it could also be worn away."
    He would think up a better rubble?
    No, something to build... so it could be destroyed again. Thinking though better to keep to the theme he's just waiting to feed on the remains of the multiverse, period.

12. - Top - End - #12

The Gurgling God (Vestige)

{table]Vestige Level: 8th
    Bind DC: 40
    Special Requirements: Yes[/table]

Special Requirements: You must be suffering from a disease to summon the Gurgling God.
    Manifestation: When the Gurgling God begins to manifest, its seal begins to bubble and ooze with black slime, and a truly foul stench arises from the dripping symbol. Several seconds later the seal is completely obstructed by a pool of offal and scum, out of which rises a hideous approximation of a human head, formed from the reeking liquid. It has no eyes or ears, and most of its face is taken up with a dripping mouth, opened endlessly as a guttural voice rises in horrible, gurgling song.
    Sign: Dark liquid constantly seems from the roots of your teeth, causing your mouth to drip a blackish, caustic liquid.
    Influence: While influenced by the Gurgling God, you are drawn to filth, refuse, and excrement. You favor these areas over cleaner locals, and would rather sleep in the sewer than in an inn's bedrooms. Additionally, you must willingly fail your saving throws against any effect that would sicken you or cause you to contact a disease.

Granted Abilities: The Gurgling God gives you ooze-like traits, a sickening song, and the powers to spread disease around you.
    Incomprehensible Form: Your type changes to Ooze. You may compress your body enough to fit through any area a creature up to three size categories smaller than you could fit through.
    Noxious Murmurs: The tuneless dirge of the Gurgling God slips constantly from your dripping lips, sowing madness and sickness through the world. Each foe within 30 feet of you must make a Fortitude save and a Will save. If they fail the Fortitude save, they are sickened for 2d4 rounds. If they fail the Will save, they are confused for 2d4 rounds. Once a creature has saved against this ability, it is immune to further effects of this ability for 24 hours. Additionally, dying creatures within 30 feet of you automatically fail their stabilization checks, and the DC for Heal checks to stabilize creatures within the area increases by +5.
    Exhalation of the Gurgling God: Once every 5 rounds you may breath out a cone of terrible toxins. All creatures within a 30ft cone must make a Fortitude for each of the following diseases or else contact it immediately: Blinding Sickness, Cackle Fever, Filth Fever, The Shakes, and Slimy Doom. The save DC is equal to the save DC of your Binder abilities, if this is higher than the DC the illness would normally have. A new save is required every round, instead of every day, as the diseases progress much more rapidly that normal. Once you determine which diseases the victim contacts, a single Fortitude save is used to decide whether or not the diseases are overcome.
    Uncaring Metabolism: You may consume spoiled food and drink with no adverse effects. You also gain immunity to poison and supernatural diseases.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-01-20 at 06:43 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

That.. that right there is awesome.

Two small things I'm gonna adjust. First, no green slime, it's black. Nitpicky but thats the way of it.

Also saying that dying creatures during the dirge automatically fail and that the DC for heal checks to stabilize them increase by 5.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Two small things I'm gonna adjust. First, no green slime, it's black. Nitpicky but thats the way of it.

Also saying that dying creatures during the dirge automatically fail and that the DC for heal checks to stabilize them increase by 5.
    Done. My bad on the first one, and the second makes more sense as a new ability, but those have been added.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I think it may be better if it's during the dirge they can't stabilize, as what it is singing is the deathsong of the multiverse.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-01-20 at 04:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Awesome. I think it may be better if it's during the dirge they can't stabilize, as what it is singing is the deathsong of the multiverse.
    It comes down to the same thing, as the dirge is a constant ability that takes effect upon first entering the area. While in the area of the dirge, the creatures can't stabilize.

It basically just clears up the text in the dirge, without me having to describe a bunch of effects in a single line.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Since the Exhalation is an instantanious effect it seems, and stabilization checks happen on the target's turn, then that seems a little mis-worded.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Copious amounts of awesome in this thread.
    The picture doesn't quite work, though. Perhaps something like this for the Vestige?
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-01-20 at 06:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Copious amounts of awesome in this thread.
    The picture doesn't quite work, though. Perhaps something like this for the Vestige?
    Urgh...that's horrible.

And by horrible, I mean definitely being used.

Also, I think I fixed the wording issues by recombining the abilities with a new clause. The Vestige should be finished.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Gah... added

21. - Top - End - #21

Say, Tribble? Mind putting a tiny little by Djinn_in_Tonic on that Vestige? It's not a huge deal, but I'd appreciate it.

Oops. Missed it.

Also, I never actually said as much...but...well...I never do homebrew stuff based on someone's work without them asking unless I really, really love their creation.

And this was a beautiful work on your part.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-01-20 at 06:49 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

MindFlayer

That goo coming out of that guy's mouth, izzat... chocolate sauce?!

Aaaaaanyway....

AAAAAAUGH!!!!!
    heh heh.
    "gurgling god"... heh.
    I wonder if it's the Snarl in disguise?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Sorg View Post
    That goo coming out of that guy's mouth, izzat... chocolate sauce?!
    It's obviously disgusting noxious ichor. Duh!

Yes...it's chocolate sauce. Or, at least, I hope it is.

Also, I should follow you around more often, Tribble...your work is usually a great inspiration...
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-01-20 at 07:05 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Say, Tribble? Mind putting a tiny little by Djinn_in_Tonic on that Vestige? It's not a huge deal, but I'd appreciate it.

Oops. Missed it.
    No, no, I'll move it from the top to near the bottom where it may not be noticed. It's cool. Want you to be happy.