New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Fantasy-parody comic - Opinions please! (it's got dragons in it)

Hi guys!

Sorry, been mostly absent for a while, life got a bit hectic. I owe people art, I know, I'll get to it eventually. <3 Just... slowly. xD

Meanwhile, I've been working on a fantasy comic for a while and I'd love to get some opinions on it! Basically, this is a one-shot (22 pages) which is technically not D&D but clearly very inspired-by. xD Fantasty parody. It's about a slightly derpy knight who goes around with a sarcastic gold dragon fighting general all-round evil and trying to impress a princess who really doesn't care.

Only the first seven pages are done. Not posting it in the webcomics section since it's not actually intended for web. :) Buuut feel free to budge this if required.

Gallery

Cover:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pages:
    1 -
    Spoiler
    Show

2-
    Spoiler
    Show

3-
    Spoiler
    Show

4-
    Spoiler
    Show

5-
    Spoiler
    Show

6-
    Spoiler
    Show

7-
    Spoiler
    Show

So yeah, what I'd love is some opinions - critique, that sort of thing. :) It's kinda intended for the fantasy crowd, so what I'd also love to know is if it appeals to you, makes you want to read on, so forth. This is something I'd really like to get printed eventually, so anything helpful would be amazing. ^^

Thanks! <3

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fantasy-parody comic - Opinions please! (it's got dragons in it)

I don't have any sort of 'i like this girl' towards the princess. She's kind of a total prat all the time.

I LOVE THE DRAGON THOUGH
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, pretty much brilliant. And hilarious. I love the tongue-in-cheek takes-itself-too-seriously high fantasy epic narrative style. Wow, that was a mouthful.

The expressions are great. ESPECIALLY the dragon's. I can already tell the dragon is going to be a fan favourite, I'll bet my Wacom tablet.

..Which reminds me that I still owe you that art trade image.

Hmm.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

It's AWESOME! I love the art! I'm not entirely sure what to think of the characters, though -- the princess is a pain, of course, but I'm not sure if the knight is supposed to be sympathetic or not. I do love the dragon, of course. And did I mention that I love the art?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

i like this, looks good and is funny!
    Despite everything, its still me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I love the dragon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

7. - Top - End - #7

Thanks guys. <3 These forums are always wonderful for a reassuring response. I'm glad people find it funny, I'm a tad skeptical of my sense of humour at times. xD

Yeeeah, you're not really meant to like Lady Lia that much; she's essentially a medieval femme fatale. x) Aaaand I did think Auriel would be popular. I have to find a way to make a plushie of him sometime.

Hi Kaytara! Heh, don't worry, I've not gotten much further than a couple of sketches for yours yet, feel free to take your time. :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Too late! I just finished yours. (Well, sort of. It's a quickie. But not sure how to do much else in this style.) But, you know, no pressure. :D

Spoiler
    Show
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's really good. Please don't feel the need to make all your characters love-able or hate-able.
    However, opening with your only female character having sex, then following it with her holding her panties (despite being otherwise dressed) is hitting a whole load of horrible comic cliches. Don't empower your women by sexualising them, that isn't empowering. That's sexualising.

Your art is really good, and working on a comic will really help you improve! My main concern is with the hero's chin, it struggles to sit nicely with the jaw and normally looks glued on. The line doesn't look like a cleft in the chin, often because it hovers between the chin and the mouth. It's just kind of there, looking a bit awkward.
    I'd seriously advise studying how Gaston from Beauty and the Beast is animated, he has a natural but huge chin. It even has a cleft.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, if you're going to have sexytimes in the bushes, you wouldn't want to remove anything more than necessary.

I like it. I think the 'A dirty old hankie?' panel is my favourite. Just love her expression, and that she doesn't have the disappearing-nose-syndrome that happens with Disney princesses.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

BlackDragon

That dragon is an instant favorite character.

I will be watching this, to see more of his draconic awesome.
    All hail the dragon!

12. - Top - End - #12

Moved to Fancomics? Man, that's not right. o-o I haven't even read all of Order of the Stick yet, I'm really just here for the chatter.

Yeeee! <3 THANKYOU KAYTARA! He looks amazing, love the sort of opalescent painty look, he's so shiny! And you got his expression so right too. x) Love the depth to the colour and shadow on his wings, too. So awesome. Thanks so much! I'll get to work on yours pretty soon. :D

Thanks for the crits, guys! Fair point about his chin, drawing that has been my bane since day one. It's a good job he's never gonna get a kiss from anyone because the logistics of that confound me. xD I'll take a lot at Gaston though, that's a good point, aaand an excuse to watch Beauty and the Beast again. <3

Heh, to be honest, I was trying to make it more awkward than sexy. Boxer shorts make everything awkward.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

To let you know, all comics that are hosted on this site are kept in fancomics. The regular webcomics section is just for talking about comics on other sites.

Also, I'm subscribing.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I humbly suggest that you change the thread's title to the comic's title. Still a bit early to comment on the characters for me, but your art is good and so far it's been enjoyable.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can dig it! errm, a green ruby?
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net