New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] An Illithid Flare. (P.E.A.C.H.)

This disgusting, dripping, unappealing mass of tentacles is arguably one of the deadliest items in wildspace. It is also arguably one of the cruelest. No wonder they are sacred artifacts to none other than the mysterious Illithid race.

An Illithid Flare is a powerful, and usually ancient, weapon often seen on the mysterious Illithid jammer ships. While most are remnants from the Illithid exodus from the final days of our multiverse, a handful of Mind Flayes spread across Prime Material and the various planes still retain the knowledge to create these deadly weapons. Some ancient Illithid ships still retain the knowledge in their databanks; something the Arcane Order always looks for when offered the opportunity for Illithid scrapped ships.

Mechanics:
    Market Price: None. Due to the fact that the only people whoknow how to make these items are either dead, have not been born yet, or are Illithids these items are not easily available on nearly any market. The sole known exception might be the Arcane Order's massive arsenals and influence, but they are not likely to part with any so easily.
    Activating: To fire this weapon one must merely attach a thrall (the Illithid term for food and slaves) to vampirically fanged tentacled jaws/claws at the of a long tentacle which sprouts from the weapon and then segments into two parts. Usually on humanoid thralls these horrific shackles are attached at the victims wrists.
    Firing: To fire this weapon one must simply touch one of the four brightly colored smaller crystals arranged around the larger central one at the devices controls. Once one is pressed it will pulse brightly with an inner psionic glow (a DC10 Psicraft check or DC15 Spellcraft check reveals it is of psionic origins) signifying a desired energy type for the weapon to fire has been selected. The types of energy which can be selected are: Electricity (Yellow crystal), Fire (Red crystal), Ice (Blue crystal), and Sonic (Pink crystal).

The individual at the controls then places it's palm (or physiological equivalent) on the much larger and central crystal on the control board. Once he has made a mental connection with the device (a equivalent move action), he can then choose to fire the weapon as a standard action.

Firing an Illithid Flare drains the very life force from a shackled thrall. The thrall loses one HP.
    Range: As the psionic power Energy Missile augmented to the equivalent distance using regular power points.
    Damage: The damage output of this weapons depends on whether it is augmented by addition thrall life force. Optionally as a swift action right before mentally firing the weapon the controller may choose to augment the weapon's damage output. For every one (1) HP drained from the shackled individual the damage of the Illithid Flare is increased as if the a psion had augmented Energy Missile.

Thoughts?

I am getting my campaign into spelljammer, and I am currently working on a secret "super ship" the PCs might be stealing in a getaway. It will be constructed out of gutted ships of all races. A few Illithid ships were also obtained for it's construction (a big part of it's power).
    Last edited by Pika...; 2010-01-21 at 02:39 PM.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [3.5] An Illithid Flare. (P.E.A.C.H.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pika... View Post

This disgusting, dripping, unappealing mass of tentacles is arguably one of the deadliest items in wildspace. It is also arguably one of the cruelest. No wonder they are sacred artifacts to none other than the mysterious Illithid race.

An Illithid Flare is a powerful, and usually ancient, weapon often seen on the mysterious Illithid jammer ships. While most are remnants from the Illithid exodus from the final days of our multiverse, a handful of Mind Flayes spread across Prime Material and the various planes still retain the knowledge to create these deadly weapons. Some ancient Illithid ships still retain the knowledge in their databanks; something the Arcane Order always looks for when offered the opportunity for Illithid scrapped ships.

Mechanics:
    Market Price: None. Due to the fact that the only people whoknow how to make these items are either dead, have not been born yet, or are Illithids these items are not easily available on nearly any market. The sole known exception might be the Arcane Order's massive arsenals and influence, but they are not likely to part with any so easily.
    Activating: To fire this weapon one must merely attach a thrall (the Illithid term for food and slaves) to vampirically fanged tentacled jaws/claws at the of a long tentacle which sprouts from the weapon and then segments into two parts. Usually on humanoid thralls these horrific shackles are attached at the victims wrists.
    Firing: To fire this weapon one must simply touch one of the four brightly colored smaller crystals arranged around the larger central one at the devices controls. Once one is pressed it will pulse brightly with an inner psionic glow (a DC10 Psicraft check or DC15 Spellcraft check reveals it is of psionic origins) signifying a desired energy type for the weapon to fire has been selected. The types of energy which can be selected are: Electricity (Yellow crystal), Fire (Red crystal), Ice (Blue crystal), and Sonic (Pink crystal).

The individual at the controls then places it's palm (or physiological equivalent) on the much larger and central crystal on the control board. Once he has made a mental connection with the device (a equivalent move action), he can then choose to fire the weapon as a standard action.

Firing an Illithid Flare drains the very life force from a shackled thrall. The thrall loses one HP.
    Range: As the psionic power Energy Missile augmented to the equivalent distance using regular power points.
    Damage: The damage output of this weapons depends on whether it is augmented by addition thrall life force. Optionally as a swift action right before mentally firing the weapon the controller may choose to augment the weapon's damage output. For every one (1) HP drained from the shackled individual the damage of the Illithid Flare is increased as if the a psion had augmented Energy Missile.

Thoughts?

I am getting my campaign into spelljammer, and I am currently working on a secret "super ship" the PCs might be stealing in a getaway. It will be constructed out of gutted ships of all races. A few Illithid ships were also obtained for it's construction (a big part of it's power).
    My thought is that this weapon is incredibly powerful, because you can augment it to absurdly high levels with no cap, and the traditional ML cap doesn't really work when you have an alternate augmentation method. I mean, a barbarian thrall with 14 con would be able to manifest energy missile, an already powerful spell, for 20 PP. While that might hurt him a lot (with average rolls, he'd have 2 HP left), he'd near instantly kill five people near him with 20d6+20 damage each.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is, essentially, a spaceship weapon. So... I'd imagine it would be good at killing d00ds.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    This is, essentially, a spaceship weapon. So... I'd imagine it would be good at killing d00ds.
    It's range is pitiful for a jammer weapon, barely 300 feet unless you can augment past epic. Plus, energy missile is designed to hit multiple targets, not a single target, so it's still better against multiple foes.

Also, AFAIK, no spaceship weapon deals 20d6 damage, though I haven't played Jammer extensively.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    My thought is that this weapon is incredibly powerful, because you can augment it to absurdly high levels with no cap, and the traditional ML cap doesn't really work when you have an alternate augmentation method. I mean, a barbarian thrall with 14 con would be able to manifest energy missile, an already powerful spell, for 20 PP. While that might hurt him a lot (with average rolls, he'd have 2 HP left), he'd near instantly kill five people near him with 20d6+20 damage each.
    Well, I was under the assumption that since the PCs will probably be getting this ship/weapons, and since I do not allow evil PCs in my games, that this would mean they would have to strap themselves into them if they wanted to use them (there were going to be six total aboard)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post

Those were my initial thoughts. Don't Illithids want to specialize in close distance, due to their need/craving for food (and in this case ammo?).
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Well, I was under the assumption that since the PCs will probably be getting this ship/weapons, and since I do not allow evil PCs in my games, that this would mean they would have to strap themselves into them if they wanted to use them (there were going to be six total aboard)?
    Strap the barbarian in and he gets to deal massive amounts of damage for round using the temporary HP he gets from raging. He'll take no real permanent damage and can use it as an effective tool for killing things before they get into range. I mean, with high Con and rage, a level 10 barbarian can reliably blast for 20, 30, maybe even 40d6 (+40) per round, especially if there is a healbot cleric, and it doesn't require any optimization, really.

Those were my initial thoughts. Don't Illithids want to specialize in close distance, due to their need/craving for food (and in this case ammo?).
    There's short distance, and then there's "you're fighting spaceships at a range shorter than a bow shot" range. The ships would be bigger than the distance between them for the weapon to work, and common(er) thralls would die dealing pitiful (2d6) damage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Strap the barbarian in and he gets to deal massive amounts of damage for round using the temporary HP he gets from raging. He'll take no real permanent damage and can use it as an effective tool for killing things before they get into range. I mean, with high Con and rage, a level 10 barbarian can reliably blast for 20, 30, maybe even 40d6 (+40) per round, especially if there is a healbot cleric, and it doesn't require any optimization, really.

Rats. I forgot about the damn healbots. >.>

What if I made it 2hp?

ps. It would be hysterical, though. "I am SO angry that I am gonna strap this TENTACLE FULL OF SHARP POINTY TEETH to my arm, then SUCK THE VERY LIFE FROM BY BODY to toss at your face!!!"

There's short distance, and then there's "you're fighting spaceships at a range shorter than a bow shot" range. The ships would be bigger than the distance between them for the weapon to work, and common(er) thralls would die dealing pitiful (2d6) damage.
    Does Energy Missile count as a missile? I remember something in the Spelljammer rules describing how projectiles keep going in the semi-vacuum of wildspace until they either hit or miss the enemry ship/crew.

If no the above, would you say times the power's range by x4 or so?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Rats. I forgot about the damn healbots. >.>

What if I made it 2hp?
    It still allows barbarians and other high HP classes to easily blast for massive damage (hitting five targets), for less damage than they would take by getting hit by a tough enemy. Plus, that makes it even worse when using common thralls, because they can't even blast once unaugmented without going unconcious, making it a terrible ship weapon but a great high level personal weapon.

ps. It would be hysterical, though. "I am SO angry that I am gonna strap this TENTACLE FULL OF SHARP POINTY TEETH to my arm, then SUCK THE VERY LIFE FROM BY BODY to toss at your face!!!"
    Eh, depends on how you fluff it out. Me, I'd say that the barbarian controlled his rage with such force he was able to use pure adrenaline and willpower (explaining the damage; it hurts him after it's done) to power the device to slaughter his foes. It's no more crazy than losing AC to power attack harder.

Does Energy Missile count as a missile? I remember something in the Spelljammer rules describing how projectiles keep going in the semi-vacuum of wildspace until they either hit or miss the enemry ship/crew.
    It's a magical effect, so it has no range increments. It's pretty much a straight line that disappears instantly at the end of it's range, though you could refluff it, I guess. It would still take multiple rounds to hit the target, if you model speed of projectiles, though.

If no the above, would you say times the power's range by x4 or so?
    That would only make it more powerful for the barbarian. He blasts for 150 damage, so 75d6 +75 damage to 5 targets, at a range of 3400 feet, then he gets a heal spell cast on him and he's fine.

Basically, this weapon is bad because it breaks the very conventions that keep psionics from being unbalanced: Limits on augmentation. It doesn't help that it's entirely, entirely worthless for Illithids who want to use it on actual prisoners because commoner 1s don't have enough life force to match a crossbow bolt, which I find hilarious.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It still allows barbarians and other high HP classes to easily blast for massive damage (hitting five targets), for less damage than they would take by getting hit by a tough enemy. Plus, that makes it even worse when using common thralls, because they can't even blast once unaugmented without going unconcious, making it a terrible ship weapon but a great high level personal weapon.
    Hmm...

Let's see. So an Illithid using a Human commoner (4hp normally I believe) could augment it once leaving the thrall staggered. If it simply did not care about the thrall (which I magine would be the case), it could instead augment it six times killing it off at exactly -10.

What do you all think?

I imagine that they would keep a "reserve" of more powerful races and/or captured adventurers for when they needed a bigger shot, probably when facing a truly serious threat.

Eh, depends on how you fluff it out. Me, I'd say that the barbarian controlled his rage with such force he was able to use pure adrenaline and willpower (explaining the damage; it hurts him after it's done) to power the device to slaughter his foes. It's no more crazy than losing AC to power attack harder..

True, but would still be funny if a PC did that.

That would only make it more powerful for the barbarian. He blasts for 150 damage, so 75d6 +75 damage to 5 targets, at a range of 3400 feet, then he gets a heal spell cast on him and he's fine.

Basically, this weapon is bad because it breaks the very conventions that keep psionics from being unbalanced: Limits on augmentation. It doesn't help that it's entirely, entirely worthless for Illithids who want to use it on actual prisoners because commoner 1s don't have enough life force to match a crossbow bolt, which I find hilarious.

I see. So perhaps a 20 or 30 HP cap?

That, or make it that the lifeforce/HP drain sustained is so intense that it can only be healed with natural healing? That, or/and all healing spells can only restore the individual at 1/4 the effect (hence making the healbot have to consider rationing it's spells)?

ps. I am a bit confused. A commoner at 2hp an initial shot and augmentation would be dealing 9d6 (or 9d6+9 depending on the energy type).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Hmm...

Let's see. So an Illithid using a Human commoner (4hp normally I believe) could augment it once leaving the thrall staggered. If it simply did not care about the thrall (which I magine would be the case), it could instead augment it six times killing it off at exactly -10.
    NPCs do not get max HP at first level, so a commoner has 2 HP. It can be staggered by a blast, or dead when augmented.

What do you all think?
    It's a terrible waste of food when a crossbow would travel farther and hit harder.

I imagine that they would keep a "reserve" of more powerful races and/or captured adventurers for when they needed a bigger shot, probably when facing a truly serious threat.
    Or just, you know, crossbows.

True, but would still be funny if a PC did that.
    Until it broke the campaign.

I see. So perhaps a 20 or 30 HP cap?
    Yes.

That, or make it that the lifeforce/HP drain sustained is so intense that it can only be healed with natural healing? That, or/and all healing spells can only restore the individual at 1/4 the effect (hence making the healbot have to consider rationing it's spells)?
    Eh, I don't like the "you can't heal it" stuff, because it doesn't make sense; if magic can't heal it, why can simply waiting around do the trick?

ps. I am a bit confused. A commoner at 2hp an initial shot and augmentation would be dealing 9d6 (or 9d6+9 depending on the energy type).
    Check your math. If you fully augment to kill the commoner, you can deal 12 HP damage to him (-10) and get 6d6+6, but if you want to keep your food alive, you get 1d6+1 at best (2 HP to shoot).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Check your math. If you fully augment to kill the commoner, you can deal 12 HP damage to him (-10) and get 6d6+6, but if you want to keep your food alive, you get 1d6+1 at best (2 HP to shoot).
    Energy missile does 3d6 initially. Then even if I do not give NPCs max HP (I am one of those that do, but that's neither here-nor-there ), I would still have 10hp (five more augments?) to use. If the Illithids still want them alive, most likely if they will be away from a port/raidable world for a while, they could leave it at four augments. The prior would be 8d6/8d6+8, while the later would be 7d6/7d6+7?

Sorry, I am just a bit confused right now. :P

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if the party doesn't get its own ship, and they can't take the weapon with them easily (or at least the set-up/break-down isn't something that is easy to do in battle-field condition)... I am not seeing that it is going to unbalance the game.

Also, I don't see anything about a way of REMOVING someone from it... which implies that it would probably damage the machine to do so... perhaps with a high enough Disable Device and/or Heal check...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Well, if the party doesn't get its own ship, and they can't take the weapon with them easily (or at least the set-up/break-down isn't something that is easy to do in battle-field condition)... I am not seeing that it is going to unbalance the game.
    Well, my intention is for them to get the ship (and a whole lot more trouble due to it!), but who knows. :/

And no, it is pretty much fixed in there unless you have the mjor skills to mount/set it up somewhere else. Does this make a different?

Also, I don't see anything about a way of REMOVING someone from it... which implies that it would probably damage the machine to do so... perhaps with a high enough Disable Device and/or Heal check...
    My mistake!!!

I forgot to mention a DC30 escape artist check could get you away from it.

As for removing it while still alive? Yikes, I completely forgot that. Perhaps it can simply be done as a mental command from the central crystal in the control panel?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Strap the barbarian in and he gets to deal massive amounts of damage for round using the temporary HP he gets from raging. He'll take no real permanent damage and can use it as an effective tool for killing things before they get into range.
    Wait, what? The adjustment to Con when you rage goes away when you stop, as do a concordant number of hit points. They aren't temporary hp. This statement makes no sense.

Anyway, based on my oldschool only knowledge [I played this from it's original version, albeit long after it was printed], Mils has a serious point, though spell based weapons aren't a reliable weapon in Jammer anyway.

The nearest equivilent equipment item i can think of is from the BoVD and allows a character to power spells by dealing damage to otherwise helpless victims strapped to him. In that case, it deals the Spell Level2 damage to the victim, leaving his original slot intact. I'd suggest something similar here, maybe halfing the final value of PP2.

The better question, however, is why would Illithids, the needers of living brains, design a weapon that would kill the target? How about a system that drains hp from Thralls in exchange for massive increases to the AoE of a Mindblast? Surely that's more useful to them?
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Ship to ship weapons might break the hull more than they would kill the sailors depending on how you aim (and what the rules about such things are)... if you break the ship appart and spill the crew into the phlogostin (or whatever), then you can rake in your food supply in an orderly fashion and not have it fighting back too terribly bad.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-01-22 at 05:50 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Unprotected crew are dead more or less instantly in the Phlostigeon and won't last long at all in Wildspace. It's one of the reasons why Nautiloids are so carefully designed for boarding; aside from the human fleets, basically no-one invested in space suits, considering them a waste of time.

The unhuman wars had an example of how bizzarre the use of space suits on crew actually was when the goblinoids used a fireship esque tactic to cripply a bunch of elf ships, though at which battle i couldn't tell you.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I mis remembered then... I thought everything ended up with a bubble of air around it even a humanoid (how long it stayed BREATHABLE being a separate question).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-01-22 at 01:47 PM.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I mis remembered then... I thought everything ended up with a bubble of air around it even a humanoid (how long it stayed BREATHABLE being a separate question).
    No, that is right.

The phlogistein goes even one step further and states that creatures (even whole crews) whcih run out of air there simply enter a suspended animation of sorts until they hopefully get picked up someone/something. It also said mind flayers capture such individuals.