New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default I need some PokéHelp with this avatar

I posted a request in the Request thread, but deleted that cuz I'm kinda big on self reliance. I'd like to give this a committed try before asking for someone to do it for me. However, if anyone feels like doing the whole thing, then I'd be really grateful, but I'd really appreciate advice first.

This is the avatar that I'm working on. However, I have a problem. I'm trying to draw a Totodile hanging from his left arm by the mouth, but I have no idea where to start. All of my attempts at the head shape have been cringe-worthy, and I can't even imagine where I'm going to begin once I get to the eyes. I feel that the rest will be easy once I get past those two roadblocks.

So, does anyone have any tips on how I might go about this?

I'm thinking that having the Totodile hanging from the arm might be too hard. I'm prolly just going to have Totodile standing next to the guy. What do you think?

Totodile:

Also see my current avatar.
    Last edited by UptonBeat; 2010-01-21 at 10:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I need some PokéHelp with this avatar

Use the Pen Tool to draw an abstract shape of the head, then use nodes to round it off a bit.

It would be best (read: easier) if Totodile's mouth was facing away from the "audience" so you wouldn't have to draw it. PLus, you'd only have to draw one eye.

For eyes, if you don't want to do them OOts-like, I think they will always look good if you have one generic semi-round shape inside another, inside another. White, then a color, then black. Can't go wrong with that. Make the shape, Duplicate, scale it down about 75% (proportionally) Duplicate and scale that one another 75%. I'll post a pic to show you what I mean.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Can't say that I could do that myself. Not without a bit of time to tinker around with Totodile. But it shouldn't be too hard, if you can get yourself a proper style Poke'.

I'd start by drawing out the separate parts of your character: Draw the general shape for the head, body and legs. they should all be the same color blue. I'd draw him with his head up, jaw facing the camera, for a shot like that. With his head drawn that way, you can focus on making the rest of his body look more natural, and not worry about eye placement. At that height, with his tail outstretched, the tip of his tail should just about reach the floor and curl up a bit. Then you can draw the details in on top of his separate body parts.

Hope that helps a little.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the help guys,

I'm going to put him in a pose like this:

And he'll be standing next to Finn. I just can't get the hanging thing the way I want it. But thanks for your advice, now I'm finally getting somewhere with this.

Edit: Is there any way to round out sharp corners at a node?
    Last edited by UptonBeat; 2010-01-21 at 11:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I apologize, but I didn't really pay attention to what you wrote about self-reliance and all... And I went ahead on recreating your avatar. Then I reread what you wrote when I was already thick-deep into making it.

Oops.

edit: I basically traced the basic shape on totodile after importing the image into inkscape.
    Last edited by Mr_Saturn; 2010-01-22 at 12:05 AM.
    Your friendly neighborhood A&C hobo.

Support local OotS webcomics! Read Tales of Revelia.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

haha aw geez, I just finished my version and then checked back in on this thread. I hope you don't mind, I'm pretty proud of mine and would like it to be my avatar, but thanks for finally giving me something awesome to put in my sig, Mr. (Ms.?) Saturn.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UptonBeat View Post

haha aw geez, I just finished my version and then checked back in on this thread. I hope you don't mind, I'm pretty proud of mine and would like it to be my avatar, but thanks for finally giving me something awesome to put in my sig, Mr. (Ms.?) Saturn.

Hey that's good. I don't mind you using your own, that's even better even. I just figured i'd dust off my avataring program and show you how to teach totodile how to use bite attack.
    Your friendly neighborhood A&C hobo.

Support local OotS webcomics! Read Tales of Revelia.