New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Strudels Homebrew Weaponry 3.5 [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Mikka View Post
    Swordbreaker weapons were not actually made to break swords as much as catch them and potentially twist them out of the opponents grip, and then use your primary weapon to do the lethal blow.

So if anything, it should improve disarm attempts by +2 or something along those lines.

The falx is much better than a regular martial weapon and should be exotic.

The main weapon you posted IS a throwING weapon, you throw stuff with it, just like a sling and thats what you call a "thrown" weapon. Read up on your rules : )

And yes you throw things at very high speeds. . but what the HELL do you think that bows and crossbows do? they do it better than any human could ever possibly do. . thats why the real life equivalent of this weapon was abandoned in favor of superior weapons
    That may be true but this is fantasy so it breaks swords. I fixed the falx. I made the atlatl like a composite bow for balance rather than realisticness I want it to be good but not "1d10 + strength bonus at 1st level" good. I may not be perfect but I do know basic rules and if I don't remember a rule I look it up, so less blatent hostility please.

Also arguskos It has the same stats as a greatclub so it's not that strong

I fixed some stuff but I need to clarify the rules for the swordbreaker, so I'll do that right now.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel110 View Post
    That may be true but this is fantasy so it breaks swords. I fixed the falx. I made the atlatl like a composite bow for balance rather than realisticness I want it to be good but not "1d10 + strength bonus at 1st level" good. I may not be perfect but I do know basic rules and if I don't remember a rule I look it up, so less blatent hostility please.

I fixed some stuff but I need to clarify the rules for the swordbreaker, so I'll do that right now.
    Thought it was better for some reason. Meh, it's a simple weapon, who really cares.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's also a simple weapon. The greatclub is a martial weapon. This weapon does more than any other simple weapon. And it's based on an oar.

I don't believe there was hostility, and you did ask for PEACH. Capital letters could be shot down, but other than that, I didn't see anything offensive.

The point about the atlatl is it costs a feat, and you have to pay a lot for it to do decent damage. I say just add Strength automatically, like a thrown weapon (which is what it is).
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    The greater falx is better than the greatsword. Consider raising the price, since it's only 10 gp more for bypassing shield bonuses (meh) and getting one higher threat range (nice).
    I would have rated that the other way around:
    - a lot of humanoid enemies may derive a respectable chunk of their AC from shield bonuses
    - the falx as presented bypasses the Shield spell as well
    - there are class features or feats out there that allow users to use their shield bonus vs. touch attacks, and this would eliminate that defense too.

For a martial weapon, that's a non-negligible bonus you're getting there. There's no convincing reason to take a longsword or a greatsword instead of their falx equivalent, and that's a good sign that it's too good. It should certainly be exotic.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    I would have rated that the other way around:
    - a lot of humanoid enemies may derive a respectable chunk of their AC from shield bonuses
    - the falx as presented bypasses the Shield spell as well
    - there are class features or feats out there that allow users to use their shield bonus vs. touch attacks, and this would eliminate that defense too.

For a martial weapon, that's a non-negligible bonus you're getting there. There's no convincing reason to take a longsword or a greatsword instead of their falx equivalent, and that's a good sign that it's too good. It should certainly be exotic.
    It's been changed since I said that, but I get your point. Be careful with changing it to an exotic weapon though. Make sure it's worth a feat.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-01-24 at 09:30 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

It's been changed since I said that, but I get your point. Be careful with changing it to an exotic weapon though. Make sure it's worth a feat.
    ...it eats most humanoid enemies alive. That's a pretty damn nice buff. It's probably well worth the feat.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

I fixed some stuff. I didn't get defensive but he/she(?) has been saying that it's overpowered over and over, but I think that the loss of a feat, the cost, and the wieght make it more than reasonable, also I'll make the eku martial don't kow why I put simple.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    ...it eats most humanoid enemies alive. That's a pretty damn nice buff. It's probably well worth the feat.
    Yeah but the catch is that you have to be fighting humanoids, if your playing an ooze campain or all your enemies are abberations it doesn't help, it just costs more.

9. - Top - End - #39

Yeah but the catch is that you have to be fighting humanoids, if your playing an ooze campain or all your enemies are abberations it doesn't help, it just costs more.
    Even against humanoids, it only gets rid of shield bonuses to AC. Armor bonuses and enhancement bonuses are usually much larger, unless you're up against a huge fighter with a tower shield heavily enchanted. In which case, his armor is probably heavily enchanted as well.

The weapon probably shouldn't bypass magical shields though.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikka View Post
    I really like it. However as a throwing weapon, it ALREADY adds strength to damage. Small disks however shouldn't deal more than 1d4 damage, but when strength bonus it easily makes up for it, not to mention it has a great critical threat range. The range should also be lowered, i really can't see a guy chucking these farther than a guy with a sling. . so a range of 40 ft. would be more accurate.

Two-handed Melee: 2d4 , 18-20/x2

Two-handed Ranged: 1d4 , 18-20/x2 , 40ft range.

Wielded two handed in melee, requires both hands to use ranged but doesn't count as a two-handed weapon (no adding 1.5 strength modifer)
    Realistically an atlatl is a dart thrower, and gets decent distance. Not further than a sling, but a 40 foot range increment with a sling isn't exactly realistic, given that a sling gets better range than a longbow, and is comparable to 160 to 180 pound drawn bows. Given the composite longbow stats (1d10, 110 foot range increment) a sling should probably be 1d8 90 foot minimum. Of course, it also shouldn't be a simple weapon, but that is besides the point. The original set up is fine, although 1.5 strength at ranged is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2010-01-24 at 10:16 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even against humanoids, it only gets rid of shield bonuses to AC. Armor bonuses and enhancement bonuses are usually much larger, unless you're up against a huge fighter with a tower shield heavily enchanted. In which case, his armor is probably heavily enchanted as well.

The weapon probably shouldn't bypass magical shields though.
    Probably wouldn't the reason it bypasses shields is because its curved shape lets you hit around shields.

12. - Top - End - #42

Probably wouldn't the reason it bypasses shields is because its curved shape lets you hit around shields.
    As written, it does. You should probably edit that.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

As written, it does. You should probably edit that.
    Thanks! Fixed again.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Kegsplitter

{table=head]Name | Cost | Damage | Critical | Range |type
    Kegsplitter|2510gp|1d8|x3|-|Slashing [/table]

The Kegsplitter is a +1 Battleaxe with an additional +2 against wooden items (such as barrels) and plant creatures. Kegsplitters are enchanted ceremonial dwarf weapons used to open kegs of dwarven mead during certain religious ceremonies, they also prove effective against plant-like enemies.
    Last edited by Strudel110; 2010-01-26 at 08:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

The Kegsplitter

{table=head]Name | Cost | Damage | Critical | Range |type
    Kegsplitter|2510gp|1d8|x3|-|Slashing [/table]

The Kegsplitter is a +1 Battleaxe with an additional +2 against wooden items (such as barrels) and plant creatures. Kegsplitters are enchanted ceremonial dwarf weapons used to open kegs of dwarven mead during certain religious ceremonies, they also prove effective against plant-like enemies.
    Fixed the table for you. Anyways, interesting. I think I saw this idea first implemented in Icewind Dale II, and I liked it then, too.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fixed the table for you. Anyways, interesting. I think I saw this idea first implemented in Icewind Dale II, and I liked it then, too.
    Lol table fail. Thanks, Icewind Dale, huh? I got the idea from my friend but he has Icewind Dale so I guess thats where he found it. Heard it was a good game.