New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Hapless Hero PrC

Skills- 4+int/level
    HD- d8
    Prerequisites- +4 BAB

Hapless Hero
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Luck

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Jack of All Trades, Hapless Strike, Accidental Dodge|

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    | Danger sense +1, Lucky Number|

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Extra lucky, Accidental Dodge|

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    | Danger sense +2|

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Luck Abound, Accidental Dodge|

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Danger sense +3|

7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Accidental dodge|

8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Danger sense +4|

9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Accidental dodge|

10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |True hero, Danger Sense +5|
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The hapless hero is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and all shields (except tower).
    Hero's Luck: The hapless hero gains a number of luck points equal to their class levels to spend each encounter. These can be used to power the luck-based abilities (hapless strike, accidental dodge, extra lucky, luck abound, true hero). Luck points are renewed after every encounter, and every effect caused by a hapless hero's luck points ends as soon as an encounter starts. A hapless hero can spend luck points outside of an encounter, but in the next encounter, the same amount of points is already spent.
    Jack of All Trades: The hapless hero gains the Jack of All Trades feat as a bonus feat.
    Hapless Strike (Ex): When luck seems to be constantly opposing the hapless hero, sometimes, it turns right around, favoring them more than anything else. The hapless hero can use one luck point to strike true, no matter what. The hapless hero's next attack is treated as if true strike had been cast on them.
    Accidental Dodge (Ex): The hapless hero can avoid dangers without even knowing about them by bending over to pick something up, dancing, or performing some other seemingly innocent act. By spending luck points, the hapless hero can gain a miss chance, based on how much they spend. If one point is spent, the hapless hero gains 20% miss chance. At each odd level after 1st, the hapless hero is able to spend one additional luck point to gain greater benefits. If two luck points are spent, it's improved to 40%. Three, to 60%. Four, to 80%, and five to 100% (attacks automatically miss). This ability lasts for 3 + Cha modifier rounds.
    Danger Sense (Ex): Ever paranoid, the hapless hero gains a +1 bonus to initiative and saves. At every even level, this bonus increases by an additional +1 (+2 at 4th level, +3 at 6th, and so on).
    Lucky Number (Ex): The Hapless Hero picks one number off of the d20 (besides 1 and 20)at the beginning of the day. When this number is rolled off a d20, the roll is counted as a natural 20 for all benifical effects.
    Extra Lucky (Ex): The hapless hero has attained a new level of luck. By spending two luck points, the hapless hero can gain one of the following benefits:
    •Increase critical threat range by 3 and critical multiplier by 1
    •Gain an extra standard action
    •Gain a +10 bonus to one save for 1 round/level
    •Gain a +5 bonus to two saves for 1 round/level
    •Gain a +8 luck bonus to one ability score for 1 round/level
    •Gain a +4 luck bonus to two ability scores for 1 round/level
    Luck Abound (Ex): By spending two luck points, a hapless hero can add +2d6 to any attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, opposed checks, skill checks, initiative checks, and spells that either deal or heal damage (not including ability damage).
    True Hero (Ex): By spending all remaining luck points, the hapless hero can become a paragon of heroics. They gain benefits based on how many luck points are spent. Each benefit stacks.
    •Haste round/level -- 3 points
    •DR 4/- and Greater heroism round/level -- 5 points
    •Fast Healing 3, round/level -- 6 points
    •Foresight round/level -- 8 points
    •Gain the effects of a Heal Spell, cast by a 15th level caster -- 10 points
    Last edited by SurgeonForge; 2010-01-25 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Formatting/Spellcheck
    Note: Apostrophes in your characters name will be noted, and your character flagged and disregarded.

Outside of a dog, your sword is your best friend. Inside of a dog, well, thats animal cruelty.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Hapless Hero PrC

Looks like it needs some more prerequisites...but the basis of the class looks good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

What is a class with a specialization?

Also, this is very underpowered, for a PrC. It advances absolutely nothing. I don't care what your class is before this, you'd rather have levels in that.

That said, you should look at the fortune's friend for ideas. As is, this might be useful, only defensively, fora few rounds each day.

There are a number of errors in the text...

And it needs a capstone.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

1st level sucks. You get a feat that's basically stupid for rogues, and most others won't want a level just for a feat that they most likely won't use. Add an ability here. A real ability--not one that's per day.

Just give the class good saves all around, or change the saves to match the "hapless hero" stereotype. I'd recommend Reflex and maybe Fortitude or Will. Partial saves are lame when you don't even have full BAB or any good class features (read: monk).

Does luck abound work with 1's to turn them into a higher roll, or are 1's still automatic failures? I also think you should limit the rolls this could be applied to. Say...attack, damage, saving throws, opposed checks, skill checks, and maybe some spells. Otherwise, you can apply this to Knowledge Devotion or hit points when leveling up. You should also specify whether or not you can only use this ability once per roll you're improving.

The prerequisites are dumb. Get rid of the class bit and the ability score bit. Then add some skill requirements.

Danger sense is the only decent ability you have, and that doesn't even compare to a paladin's divine grace ability, which they get at 2nd level. I'd say make the save bonus +3/+6 or ability-based like the paladin's divine grace feature.

Raise the BAB to +1/level.

Accidental dodge should be based on class levels or something with its duration. 1d4+2 rounds isn't that much (4.5 on average), and it doesn't improve, unlike a caster's miss chances. This is beat by a simple wondrous item--minor cloak of displacement (constant 20% miss chance). The major one lets you have it for 20 rounds (which this ability can't grant--maximum for this is 18), and it's always 50%. Make the duration longer. I recommend 1d4 + class levels.

So far, it's way underpowered. I see you've gone a "lucky" route. Maybe you could add a system of luck points, similar to the luckthief (d20r).

I'll give you my changes in a nutshell in this table:

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Hero's Luck
    1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Jack of All Trades, hapless strike, accidental dodge|1
    2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Danger sense +1|2
    3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Extra lucky, accidental dodge|3
    4|+4|+4|+4|+1|Danger sense +2|4
    5|+5|+4|+4|+1|Luck abound, accidental dodge|5
    6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Danger sense +3|6
    7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Accidental dodge|7
    8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Danger sense +4|8
    9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Accidental dodge|9
    10|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|True hero, danger sense +5|10[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The hapless hero is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and all shields (except tower).
    Hero's Luck: The hapless hero gains a number of luck points equal to their class levels to spend each encounter. These can be used to power the luck-based abilities (hapless strike, accidental dodge, extra lucky, luck abound, true hero). Luck points are renewed after every encounter, and every effect caused by a hapless hero's luck points ends as soon as an encounter starts. A hapless hero can spend luck points outside of an encounter, but in the next encounter, the same amount of points is already spent.
    Jack of All Trades: The hapless hero gains the Jack of All Trades feat as a bonus feat.
    Hapless Strike (Ex): When luck seems to be constantly opposing the hapless hero, sometimes, it turns right around, favoring them more than anything else. The hapless hero can use one luck point to strike true, no matter what. The hapless hero's next attack is treated as if true strike had been cast on them.
    Accidental Dodge (Ex): The hapless hero can avoid dangers without even knowing about them by bending over to pick something up, dancing, or performing some other seemingly innocent act. By spending luck points, the hapless hero can gain a miss chance, based on how much they spend. If one point is spent, the hapless hero gains 20% miss chance. At each odd level after 1st, the hapless hero is able to spend one additional luck point to gain greater benefits. If two luck points are spent, it's improved to 40%. Three, to 60%. Four, to 80%, and five to 100% (attacks automatically miss). This ability lasts for 3 + Cha modifier rounds.
    Danger Sense (Ex): Ever paranoid, the hapless hero gains a +1 bonus to initiative and saves. At every even level, this bonus increases by an additional +1 (+2 at 4th level, +3 at 6th, and so on).
    Extra Lucky (Ex): The hapless hero has attained a new level of luck. By spending two luck points, the hapless hero can gain one of the following benefits:
    • Increase critical threat range by 3 and critical multiplier by 1
    • Gain an extra standard action
    • Gain the benefits of freedom of movement for 1 minute/level
    • Gain the benefits of greater invisibility for 1 round/level
    • Gain a +8 luck bonus to one ability score for 1 minute/level
    • Gain a +4 luck bonus to two ability scores for 1 minute/level

Luck Abound (Ex): By spending two luck points, a hapless hero can add +2d6 to any attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, opposed checks, skill checks, and spells that either deal or heal damage (not including ability damage).
    True Hero (Ex): By spending all remaining luck points, the hapless hero can become a paragon of heroics. They gain benefits based on how many luck points are spent. Each benefit stacks.
    • Freedom of movement 10 minutes/level -- 3 points
    • Fly and Greater heroism 1 minute/level -- 5 points
    • Enlarge person or reduce person (choice) 10 minutes/level -- 6 points
    • True seeing 1 minute/level -- 8 points
    • Foresight 10 minutes/level -- 10 points
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingKobold View Post
    What is a class with a specialization?

Also, this is very underpowered, for a PrC. It advances absolutely nothing. I don't care what your class is before this, you'd rather have levels in that.

That said, you should look at the fortune's friend for ideas. As is, this might be useful, only defensively, fora few rounds each day.

There are a number of errors in the text...

And it needs a capstone.
    You also forgot a bunch of other stuff, like proficiencies and HD.

Fly and Greater heroism 1 minute/level -- 5 points
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker, wondering how to shot web
    Uh... GO WEB!

ACTIVATE!

FLY!

*begins flying*

WTF?
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-01-24 at 09:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    You also forgot a bunch of other stuff, like proficiencies and HD.

Lol.
    Nice.

Hit dice should probably be d8 or d10.

Skill points per level should be 4 + Int mod. Probably.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-01-24 at 10:16 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you. I changed a few things here and there, that made sense to me, but I really like your concept.

Just as a side note, this PrC wasn't meant to be the BAMF who walked in and just murdered the entire room without trying. He's the guy who trips on the threshold, as an arrow flys through were his head was, manages to roll up and stumble into the caster as he cast fireball, causing the caster to fail his concentration check, and blow everyone in the room to bits. Besides the Hapless Hero, who happened to make the appropriate save, and is lying a little smoky and charred in the corner.

And, after combing through it once more, I believe I have done away with the last of the spelling errors.
    Note: Apostrophes in your characters name will be noted, and your character flagged and disregarded.

Outside of a dog, your sword is your best friend. Inside of a dog, well, thats animal cruelty.

8. - Top - End - #8

I forgot to add a duration on the threat range and critical multiplier increase.

How does 1 round/level sound? Or maybe Cha modifier rounds?
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

1 round/level seems good. Since the luck points come back after every encounter, theres really no point of it being any longer than that. Average combat last 4-5 rounds, with major "boss battles" being 10 rounds, or so.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by SurgeonForge View Post
    1 round/level seems good. Since the luck points come back after every encounter, theres really no point of it being any longer than that. Average combat last 4-5 rounds, with major "boss battles" being 10 rounds, or so.
    That's true for most encounters.

Sometimes, though, you make that special one that takes many rounds to end just because of the environment...and...

Besides the point. Anyways, the class is much better now, and cleaned up a lot. It actually looks like a class, instead of something you just decided to have crushed beneath Milskidasith's feet.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    That's true for most encounters.

Sometimes, though, you make that special one that takes many rounds to end just because of the environment...and...

Besides the point. Anyways, the class is much better now, and cleaned up a lot. It actually looks like a class, instead of something you just decided to have crushed beneath Milskidasith's feet.
    Sweet Xom above, I don't even have to post anymore to get my name in a thread.

EDIT: As for the actual class, it looks good. The benefits are rather huge, but since it isn't labelled what action it takes to use them, it probably isn't that bad (if it's as an immediate action, you might want to scale them down a little bit; this class is basically a factotum + if you can use them all immediately.)
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-01-25 at 02:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Sweet Xom above, I don't even have to post anymore to get my name in a thread.

EDIT: As for the actual class, it looks good. The benefits are rather huge, but since it isn't labelled what action it takes to use them, it probably isn't that bad (if it's as an immediate action, you might want to scale them down a little bit; this class is basically a factotum + if you can use them all immediately.)
    You're famous.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

You're famous.
    I always thought I'd be famouse for doing something a bit more, you know, earth shattering. Like blowing up the planet.

14. - Top - End - #14

I always thought I'd be famouse for doing something a bit more, you know, earth shattering. Like blowing up the planet.
    If you did that, you wouldn't be famous at all! Nobody would know you, because everyone would be dead!
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

If you did that, you wouldn't be famous at all! Nobody would know you, because everyone would be dead!
    I should have said a planet... who gives a crap about, say, Neptune? Or Mars?
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-01-25 at 02:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

I should have said a planet... who gives a crap about, say, Neptune? Or Mars?
    NASA? Oh wait. NASA is a lie.

Perhaps...people who think we're going to live on Mars any time soon?

Nice changes to the class, by the way.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-01-25 at 02:33 AM.
    Homebrew