New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default In the Emperors' Hand

It is the month of the Serpent, Isawa Calendar 1165, and in Hanami Mura the cherry blossoms are only just now returning to bloom once again. Rokugan is in disarray - the rain of blood that stripped the trees in Hanami Mura created havoc elsewhere in the form of aberrant behavior and cults of maho-tsukai, and the Unicorn and the Lion have begun to threaten open warfare over the town of Kaeru Toshi.

At Shiroi Hana Shudoin, however, life is peaceful. The day is a warm one, but the breeze blowing off of Sakura Yuki Lake and across the orchards renders the temple grounds cool and fragrant. The drone of the gardener monks chanting is carried by it, and intermingles with the prayers of the acolytes of the temple courtyard.

It is nearly noon, and the temple library is brilliantly illuminated by diffuse sunlight through the paper screens. Like most monasteries, the building as a whole is sparsely decorated, favoring elegant simplicity over decadent ostentation. The library matches the rest of the building in form, its only ornamentation the finely carved and polished cherrywood bookshelves and scrollstands. Despite this its content makes it seem almost gaudy. Even the simplest of the books are meticulously bound in leather; some have gold or silver inlay along the spine for the title. The scroll hanging in front of the semicircle of seats at the back of the room is capped at the ends with bejeweled solid jade, worth twenty koku for the materials alone.

Upon entering, a tonsured monk invites the visitors to make themselves comfortably seated, and informs them that Abbot Nobuhito will shortly return from his meditations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Upon entering, please describe your physical appearance to everyone else, and please feel free to converse until everyone finishes their prologues! You have not been asked to relinquish your weapons.
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2010-01-24 at 09:20 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In the Emperors' Hand

Taki elected to stand, having spent enough time sitting. He was taller then the average Hare, which meant he was only slightly shorter then most, with a lean build. His hair was cut short, black, and was kept orderly through alot of effort. He had green eyes, which looked out over a prominent nose, and face that drastically thinned. It had vaguely distrustful look about it. He was dressed in a Kimono, the main color of it being Gray. The sash was Red, and it had a White Stripe running diagonally from his shoulder to the hem, as well as his Clans Mon sown at his heart as normal. He wore the Katana and Wakizashi as per normal, both weapons plain, but bearing his clans mark on the sheath, and a Shobo hung from the Sash.

Taki stood close to Akemi, looking at the Monk. He was obviously a Dragon, and Taki had seen enough of the Hare Clan's traditional allies to know he was Togashi. Dragon's were less rare here then elsewhere. But he was still curious. Of course the Dragon was probably the same. Hares were to be expected here, and Cranes were normal to Hanami Mura, but their presence suggested a purpose.

"Good day, honored Togashi-Sama."

Taki inclined his head in greeting.
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2010-01-25 at 03:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

"Good day, Hare-sama," Jei, who is shirtless, his three tattoos of the Lion, Crane and Arrowroot visible on his right bicep, back and heart, bows deeply, "It is a pleasure to make acquaintance. This one is Togashi Jei. May I ask your name, sama?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I am not sure if Jei is supposed to be the monk described earlier. I'll play as if I've been in the room either way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I edited my post to say -sama, instead of -san. -sama would be impolite, and Taki wasn't being intentionally so.

Taki inclined his head graciously again, acknowledging that the Monk had honored him by referring to him with the respectful honorific.

"I am Usagi Taki, Togashi-Sama. This is my wife, Doji Akemi-Sama."

Taki was introducing his wife, and thusly used the Honorific, giving her the correct amount of respect. Despite being her husband, her status as a member of a Great Clan, compared to his own as a Minor still commanded respect.
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2010-01-25 at 04:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Now that the Dragon knows the family origin of the Hare, he politely changes his manner of address.

"A pleasure, Doji-sama and Usagi-sama," Jei bows once more. Remembering his manners, he decides not to comment on the fact that the spouses do not share a family name, but continues, "May I ask how long Usagi-sama has been in the city?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Jei has monk status, so it may not be strictly necessary for him to be addressed as sama, but you are very polite. Likewise with him addressing you in that manner. This strikes me as a nice opportunity to show some of the newer players the finer points of Rokugani etiquette.
    Last edited by Disco Soup; 2010-01-26 at 08:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki smiled, and nodded. Hare's were careful by nature with information, but this piece of news was one that was pointless to conceal.

"Not very long, I fear. Only a few days. If it is not amiss, how long have you been in the city yourself, Togashi-Sama?"

7. - Top - End - #7

"This one has just arrived yesterday. Already though, the city is apparently seeming suitable to the pursuit of enlightenment."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki nodded. Hanami Mura was something special, for the Hare Clan particuraly, but even for the whole of Rokugan.

"Hanami Mura is a place of true beauty. The Hare Clan has always been honored to have been given the responsibility of its protection."

9. - Top - End - #9

"And they have ever done their utmost in that duty. Perhaps dai-sojo Nobuhito-sama will be speaking to us on that particular subject?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki shrugged. He wasn't going to say what his lord had told him. The Abbot could reveal what was going on, or not, depending on his choices.

"I can't say. The Abbot is an important man, with many concerns."

11. - Top - End - #11

"But of course, Usagi-sama is a true paragon of duty. Please do not allow this one to intrude upon sensitive matters with clumsy words," Jei speaks with hopeful sincerity.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki shook his head softly.

"Sensitive matters or non, I cannot say, for I simply do not know, Togashi-Sama."

13. - Top - End - #13

"Knowledge, of whatever subject, is a thing to cultivate. And what better place than a library, such as this one?" Jei is hoping to make a new contact at this point, and speaks with what he hopes will be perceived as warmth or enthusiasm. While new to this village, he has spent months in the land of the Hare and has come to see their frequently paranoid nature. One must never give a Hare reason to believe one an enemy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Akemi

Doji Akemi sits down next to where Taki is, smiling serenely, in a way which many courtiers would be proud of. Her hair is worn long, and bleached white in the classic fashion of the Crane, and she has the face and build of a Doji. Her kimono is in white and blue, with mostly blue and a white belt, from which an ornately decorated wakizashi and katana hang.

Indeed it is, and the books are obviously well-kept.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure whether it was your mistake or your character's to refer to her as a Daidoji, so Akemi hasn't reacted yet.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2010-01-26 at 12:50 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki held his tongue, even if he knew both his wife, and the Dragon were wrong. He knew that there was knowledge that would have been best left uncovered. Whose sheer existence doomed those who recognized it. Either to be consumed, or struggle against it.

But that is something I cannot even share with Akemi. What I know must remain where it is.

"I must yield to your expertise, I fear. I have never been a scholar."

16. - Top - End - #16

"Then what a splendid pair Doji-sama and Usagi-sama make! The virtuous Hare warrior and the noble Crane scholar!" Jei addresses Akemi, "Doji-sama, is there an area in which you specialize your interest in learning?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Mine. I misread the thread. Edited for a fix. Thanks.
    Last edited by Disco Soup; 2010-01-26 at 08:39 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah... as far as my other duties leave time for me to study- which, lately, has been quite a bit- I do like to learn about the history of Rokugan. By which I mean those smaller incidents in the past, which tend not to be taught at school simply because they're considered insignificant. Quite often, they are not insignificant at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Oh, Doji-sama," Jei perks up at the hint of hidden wisdom, "If this one may ask, could Doji-sama provide an example of what she has learned from a study of history?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah... mistakes made in the past that can be avoided in present situations... that sort of thing.

Akemi smiles. I'm also learning Shogi as a diversion...

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

20. - Top - End - #20

And telling me about it as a diversion, too... Jei ascertains that perhaps he is again probing too deeply. It would not do to have the Doji repeat aloud the overlooked mistakes of any of their ancestors.

Her daisho shows her to be a bushi, but her words are wise and discreet.

"Ah, an excellent pursuit. Enhancing one's mind through strategy games increases one's ability for one's daimyo. Please, is it hard?"
    Last edited by Disco Soup; 2010-01-26 at 05:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

It is challenging. I have only a little skill at it so far...

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki shook his head, reentering the conversation at this point.

"Akemi, you are far to humble. She is gifted at the game, at least to my untrained eyes."

Taki dropped the honorific. It had served its purpose, and she was his wife. If there was anyone who could refer to by their given name, it was her.

23. - Top - End - #23

"While this one has no training in Shogi, it would be lovely to see Doji-sama play once. It is said that games reveal the mind."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah... at the moment, I haven't played more than a couple of games...

however, if you wish to see me play, it might be arranged.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

25. - Top - End - #25

"If Doji-sama would condescend to play a leser opponent, this one would enjoy the stimulus." Jei bows again.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

All right. Let's find a board, then...

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

The would-be shogi players were interrupted by the sound of footsteps. A red-clad monk in his early forties entered and bowed low. "The samurai Bayushi Nomen, and companion." He allowed the pair following him to enter, and bowed again. "Please forgive the tardiness of our monastery and enjoy our hospitality. The Abbot will arrive swiftly." He looked around the room, bowed once more, stated something about sending a novice for some chilled green tea, and left.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

28. - Top - End - #28

"It would seem that perhaps time may not permit a game, just yet," Jei comments to the side. Seeing the Scorpion and the monk, Jei bows low but makes sure not to rudely leave the side of his new-found associates, "Good day to Bayushi-sama and brother monk-sama. This one is Togashi Jei."

Having spent little time with Crane, Jei is unsure if it would be rude to introduce new strangers.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki's eyes had already narrowed the moment he looked at the Samurai's attire, his hand gripping the Shobo before releasing it. He couldn't attack the Scorpion, no matter the anger manifested in his presence. The Scorpion had no business. Taki had been born after the burning of Shiro Usagi, but like every Hare, he had heard the stories, and seen the marks of it. And now one of the family who had commanded that Army was here.

"...hello, Bayushi Nomen-San, Monk-San. Welcome to the lands of the Hare."

Taki's use of San was quite deliberate, and intended to insult the Bayushi, and his hostility was quite obvious from his words, a sarcastic inflection being added to the second sentence. Scorpions had no place in the Land of the Hare, and deserved no respect. They were liars, thieves.

"I am Usagi Taki, of the Hare Clan. What brings you to our home?"

Taki was still speaking confrontationally. He wouldn't attack first, but if he provoked this Nomen, he could deal with him without disgracing his clan.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Akemi paused as a Scorpion entered the room. There was... little lost love between the two Clans.

"Hello. I am Doji Akemi.

As my husband has asked, I also wish to know what brings you here."
    Last edited by horngeek; 2010-01-27 at 12:15 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.