New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [ToB] Alternate Vindicators

Wee Jas is not the only deity to appreciate the Sublime Path. Here are variants for all the core deities and a few less-known ones who fit well. Each variant has a different name, different signature school, and different 5th level special ability. The hide skill is replaced in both the prerequisites and the class skill list with the key skill for the new signature school. Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, White Raven and the other special abilities remain available.

For example, a Cleric of Kord with 2 devoted spirit maneuvers and 4 ranks in escape artist, 4 in intimidate and 8 in knowledge(religion) could become a Sublime Brawling Vindicator, learn Devoted Spirit, Monkey's Paw, Stone Dragon and White Raven maneuvers, and gain powerful build at 5th level.

I tried to balance stronger disciplines with weaker abilities and vice versa and to make the battle-happy gods a little stronger while keeping everything flavourful, but it's hard to judge power. I hope I did well.

Name AL Name School Ability
    Kord CG Sublime Brawling Monkey's Paw Treat yourself as one size category larger than you are when it is beneficial to do so (e.g. weapons, grappling). This stacks with actual size changes but not powerful build.
    Trithereon CG Needed Rebel Army of One Immunity to all hostile compulsions, fear effects and moral effects
    Corellan CG Dancing Guard Scarlet Rose Channel spell 3/day
    Garl Glittergold CG Fortuitous Scoundrel Coin's Edge Gain a +20 luck bonus on one skill check a day
    Yondalla CN Enduring Warden Dancing Leaf As an immediate action, you may cause a willing ally within 30 ft to execute a counter you have readied (and granted if relevant). This also counts as the ally's immediate/swift action for the round. The maneuver is expended. Once you use this, you cannot use it again until you have rested for 5 minutes.
    Olidammara CN Wise Fool Oncoming Storm* As a swift action, make sleight of hand check opposed by enemy's spot -- on success, enemy is flat footed against next attack
    Procon CN Crashing Wave Ocean Soul You are unaffected by inclement weather
    Erythnul CE Blood Encrusted Infinite Torment Whenever you kill a living creature with at least one hit die, you heal 1hp for each hit die it had
    Gruumsh CE Conquering Warlord Broken Blade For one round a day, you may add your initiator level to your strength score as a profane bonus
    Lolth CE Spinning Web Chthonic Serpent Gain a special 5th level Boost, Tainted Web, which may be readied and used as normal. This Boost does not count as any Discipline. As a Swift action, create and apply a poison (1d3 Str damage primary, 1 Str damage secondary, Fort save DC 15 + your Wis modifier) which is used against the next target you attempt a grapple check against while using the coated weapon. If the target fails his save against the primary damage, he applies this damage before rolling his own Grapple check.
    Ehlonna NG Growing Leaf Gentle Breeze Animal Companion (as druid 1/3 of initiator level)
    Pelor NG Burning Light Desert Wind Raise Dead 1/day as sla (no material components)
    Boccob N Dread Scholar Untamed Essence Bardic Knowledge (uses initiator level)
    Fharlanghn N Far Wandering Setting Sun Teleport at will
    Obad-Hai N Wild Lands Tiger Claw Hide in plain sight in natural terrain
    Mak Thuum Ngatha N Incarnate Madness Far Realm +2 to all saves you roll and all save DCs inflict you regarding confusion or insanity
    Zuoken N Polished Blade Diamond Mind Proficiency with all Exotic Weapons
    Nerull NE Death Lord Narrow Bridge Summon 6hd of zombies or skeletons as standard action sla 3/day
    Vecna NE Lost Whisper Dread Crown Immunity to all mind reading (including detect evil, detect thought, discern lies, etc.)
    Heironeous LG Bright Champion Iron Heart Divine Grace
    Rao LG Serene Hero Knowing Heart Add Wis to all saves
    Bahamut LG Standing Claw Golden Saint Pick a breath weapon you do not already have from a metallic dragon, use it once per day. Damage and save for a dragon with hit dice equal to your initiator level.
    Moradin LG Steadfast Stone Steel Mountain When using a warhammer and a shield, you may treat the warhammer as two-handed
    Murlynd LG Holy Six-Shooting Black Rain** Conjure 6 units of ammunition for the ranged weapon you are holding as a standard action at will
    Wee Jas LN Ruby Knight Shadow Hand Armored Stealth
    St. Cuthbert LN Eternal Retribution Quicksilver Aegis Karmic Strike
    Hextor LE Dark Overlord Ninefold Damnation Summon 6hd of devils as standard action sla 3/day
    Tiamat LE Stretching Bite Rending Scream Pick a breath weapon you do not already have from a chromatic dragon, use it once per day. Damage and save for a dragon with hit dice equal to your initiator level.

* In sillier campaigns, Wise Fool Vindicators use Falling Anvil, and their special ability is just feint as a swift action.
    ** Campaigns without firearms are advised to omit Murlynd altogether, as he is likely to invent them. If that isn't an option, substitute True Arrow and use truly magnificent crossbows.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2015-06-03 at 10:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [ToB] Alternate Vindicators

This is interesting. May I suggest that post a note to the Age of Warriors theads about this? This mght reasonably fit in as a useful addition to that.

3. - Top - End - #3

I am very much aware of that thread. I figured I'd give the forum a crack at finding flaws in this before I submitted it there.

4. - Top - End - #4

How about Myrlund?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is Zuoken getting Exotic Weapon Proficiency? And is that for a specific weapon? It seems a bit odd. I would have thought something psionic related or monk related, like getting to deal unarmed damage like a monk.

Also, if I can make a suggestion for another one: Mak Thuum Ngatha should have the associated discipline be Far Realm. But I'm not sure what ability would be thematically appropriate.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Why is Zuoken getting Exotic Weapon Proficiency? And is that for a specific weapon? It seems a bit odd. I would have thought something psionic related or monk related, like getting to deal unarmed damage like a monk.
    He's the god of monks, and monks use weird weapons. Even his favoured weapon (nunchaku) is exotic. The ability to pick up a psuedonatural gnomish triple hooked hammer (yes, I made that up) and know what to do with it seems very thematic. It isn't very powerful, but Diamond Mind is.

I hadn't heard of either of those deities, how's this:

{table]Deity|AL|Name|School|Ability
    Mak Thuum Ngatha|N|Incarnate Madness|Far Realm|+2 to all saves you roll and all save DCs inflict you regarding confusion or insanity
    Myrlund|LG|Holy Six-Shooting|Black Rain*|Conjure 6 units of ammunition for the ranged weapon you are holding as a standard action at will
    [/table]

* In campaigns without firearms, substitute True Arrow
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2010-01-25 at 01:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Never heard of Zuoken before, but if he favors Monks, then one reasonable hypothesis is that they get the exotic weapon proficiencies for all the exotic monk weapons (Sai, Siangham, Nunchaku, kama).

As for Mak Thuum Ngatha (who I also hadn't heard of), let me throw out a few ideas at random:
    Confusion as an SLA 1/day, but with the DC scaling as 10 + 1/2 IL + (Ability Score), rather than being fixed.
    As above, but a strike rather than a ranged ability
    Lose 2 points from all mental ability scores, but DCs for all Far Realms maneuvers increase by 3 (or more).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=DracoDei;7760132]Never heard of Zuoken before, but if he favors Monks, then one reasonable hypothesis is that they get the exotic weapon proficiencies for all the exotic monk weapons (Sai, Siangham, Nunchaku, kama).[QUOTE]

That seems to make sense. (Zuoken incidentally is a god of monks and psionics. Originally in the Greyhawk setting but also appears in some other settings. The SRD "Psionic Fist" monk/psion hybrid is actually the "Fist of Zuoken" from Expanded Psionics with the flavor stripped off.

As for Mak Thuum Ngatha (who I also hadn't heard of)
    Destroyer of barriers. In Lords of Madness and shows up elsewhere. Is a god of far realm and aberrations related stuff.

Confusion as an SLA 1/day, but with the DC scaling as 10 + 1/2 IL + (Ability Score), rather than being fixed.
    As above, but a strike rather than a ranged ability
    Lose 2 points from all mental ability scores, but DCs for all Far Realms maneuvers increase by 3 (or more).
    Hmm, all of those sound good. I like the last one particularly well since it fits in the flavor so well.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    He's the god of monks, and monks use weird weapons. Even his favoured weapon (nunchaku) is exotic. The ability to pick up a psuedonatural gnomish triple hooked hammer (yes, I made that up) and know what to do with it seems very thematic. It isn't very powerful, but Diamond Mind is.

I hadn't heard of either of those deities, how's this:

{table]Deity|AL|Name|School|Ability
    Mak Thuum Ngatha|N|Incarnate Madness|Far Realm|+2 to all saves you roll and all save DCs inflict you regarding confusion or insanity
    Myrlund|LG|Volatile Mind|Black Rain*|Conjure 6 units of ammunition for the ranged weapon you are holding as a standard action at will
    [/table]

* In campaigns without firearms, substitute True Arrow
    I perfer the term "Holy Six-Shooting" for Myrlund.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    I perfer the term "Holy Six-Shooting" for Myrlund.
    "Holy Six-Shooting Vindicator" does have a nice ring to it. Thanks.

11. - Top - End - #11

I just realized I left out the racial deities! Oops. Here are some:

Name AL Name School Ability
    Bahamut LG Standing Claw Golden Saint Pick a breath weapon you do not already have from a metallic dragon, use it once per day. Damage and save for a dragon with hit dice equal to your initiator level.
    Tiamat LE Stretching Bite Rending Scream Pick a breath weapon you do not already have from a chromatic dragon, use it once per day. Damage and save for a dragon with hit dice equal to your initiator level.
    Moradin LG Steadfast Stone Steel Mountain When using a warhammer and a shield, you may treat the warhammer as two-handed
    Corellan CG Dancing Guard Scarlet Rose Channel spell 3/day
    Yondalla CN Enduring Warden Dancing Leaf As an immediate action, you may cause a willing ally within 30 ft to execute a counter you have readied (and granted if relevant). This also counts as the ally's immediate/swift action for the round. The maneuver is expended. Once you use this, you cannot use it again until you have rested for 5 minutes.
    Gruumsh CE Conquering Warlord Broken Blade For one round a day, you may add your initiator level to your strength score as a profane bonus
    Garl Glittergold CG Fortuitous Scoundrel Coin's Edge Gain a +20 luck bonus on one skill check a day
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2015-06-03 at 10:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yondalla's PROBABLY needs to specify that the target ally has to use the usual action for the counter... but not necessarily.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Yondalla's PROBABLY needs to specify that the target ally has to use the usual action for the counter... but not necessarily.
    I don't understand what you mean here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

IE it costs the person who gets the benefit of the counter an immediate action AS WELL as costing your immediate action.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I think this would be a good addition to the AoW project.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

May I suggest Scarlet Bravura in place of Army of One for Trithereon?
    Witch Razor Blood Sage
    (Links both lead to ToB disciplines I made!)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Here are some other options to throw in with Skeletons and Zombies (not the Skins, or the Bladders when I do them though... just the mindless stuff).
    How to get a bunch of Undead out of one corpse:
    Zooming Brain: Fly past on barely controlled course damaging all mental abilities for a brief duration.

Fat Glob: Slow, weak, but LOTS of HD, and a fatigue effect if it hits.

Rolling Eyeball: Scouts, spies, and roving patrols. Zero offensive capabilities unless taken from something with a gaze attack or eye-rays.

Floating Lungs: (based around the Shout spell). Feel free to suggest a better name...

Hopping Stomach: Spits acid.

Gut Snake: Undead intestines that fight with constriction, filth, and odor. Comment HERE.

Dark Hearts: Literally pulsing with negative energy these repair the undead near them, and damage the living.
    (Skulking Bladders (with attached kidneys) probably coming next. But also have plans for crawling livers, and slithering spinal cords. )

Also, a belated thanks for taking the trouble to include Falling Anvil as an alternate.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-01-25 at 10:38 AM.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18

IE it costs the person who gets the benefit of the counter an immediate action AS WELL as costing your immediate action.
    Ah, I get it. You're right. Done.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by pyrefiend View Post
    May I suggest Scarlet Bravura in place of Army of One for Trithereon?
    I don't see it. Clerics of Trithereon are often going to be alone. Giving them a fighting style that depends on having followers, or even allies, seems rather dubious.

I could see giving Heironious Scarlet Bravura, and angel-summoning as a cleaner contrast to Hextor, but I'd need to reshuffle a bunch of other things and I'm not sure it would work out. Plus, I don't want to imply that White Raven is the evil version, when many more core-oriented players will still be using it.

I suppose I could bring in Lirr for Scarlet Bravura. I wanted to include her from the beginning, and she has the whole perform(oratory) thing, but it's pretty weak.

20. - Top - End - #20

dracodei: While those undead look really cool, I think what I've offered is too flexible already.

21. - Top - End - #21

I've integrated all the additions into the original post.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

That was good to do... I was planning on suggesting it at one point, but forgot.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #23

Griffon

I'm glad that this has been done, but does this mean that sublime brawling vindicators get access to one fewer school than other vindicators (as ruby knight vindicators are listed as having access to stone dragon in ToB)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sereg View Post
    I'm glad that this has been done, but does this mean that sublime brawling vindicators get access to one fewer school than other vindicators (as ruby knight vindicators are listed as having access to stone dragon in ToB)
    Good point... anyone got a suggestion for a replacement? I don't think Kord's champions should get short-changed like that, but nothing comes to mind right off the bat... should be something that allows unarmed attacks and/or grappling.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-01-26 at 01:03 AM.
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #25

Griffon

Good point... anyone got a suggestion for a replacement? I don't think Kord's champions should get short-changed like that, but nothing comes to mind right off the bat... should be something that allows unarmed attacks and/or grappling.
    Setting sun? I also think that the discipline currently on the first page (Perfect self) is supposed to be mainly unarmed. Fool's grip could also give the brawling feel.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Chthonic Serpent, of course, has a number of grappling-related abilities, but they're not really wrestling, they're wrapping people up in chains. Sort of maybe Kord-like?

Actually, though...
    {table=head]Deity | AL | Name | Discipline | Ability

Lolth | CE | Spinning Web | Chthonic Serpent | Gain a special 5th level Boost, Tainted Web, which may be readied and used as normal. This Boost does not count as any Discipline.[br][br]Tainted Web[br]As a Swift action, create and apply a poison (1d3 Str damage primary, 1 Str damage secondary, Fort save DC 15 + your Wis modifier) which is used against the next target you attempt a grapple check against while using the coated weapon. If the target fails his save against the primary damage, he applies this damage before rolling his own Grapple check.[/table]
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-01-28 at 09:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Expletive! Long string of expletives that are inappropriate for this forum!

Thank you for catching that, Sereg. Better now than later. I misremembered RKV as having just Devoted Spirit and Shadow Hand. Rechecking the book, it also has Stone Dragon and White Raven. Kord and Hextor need new disciplines.

I like an unarmed or grappling discipline for Kord. I don't see the Fool's Grip you mentioned, but I did find Monkey's Paw. I don't know why that got omitted from Age of Warriors.

For Hextor, I don't see anything better than Ninefold Damnation. We can even keep the summoning power.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    {table=head]Deity | AL | Name | Discipline | Ability
    Lolth | CE | Spinning Web | Chthonic Serpent | Gain a special Boost, Tainted Web, which may be readied and used as normal. This Boost does not count as any Discipline.<br><br>Tainted Web<br>As a Swift action, create and apply a poison (1d3 Str damage primary, 1 Str damage secondary, Fort save DC 15 + your Wis modifier) which is used against the next target you attempt a grapple check against while using the coated weapon. If the target fails his save against the primary damage, he applies this damage before rolling his own Grapple check.[/table]
    I like it.

The one thing I might change is to make the DC 10 + initiator level + wis mod.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Well, I chose 15 because it's supposed to count as a 5th level maneuver. Forgot to say that in the description, though.

By the way, due to the weirdness of breaks in tables, you'll have to change the angle brackets in the <br>'s to square brackets. Unfortunately, they'll revert to angle brackets every time you edit the post, so maybe it'd be better just to take them out. *shrug*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Setting Sun is the wrong feel for Kord... it is thematically about using your enemy's strength against them. Kord is about being stronger than everyone. I agree that Fool's Grip is better. And you see I found you the link. Granted "Tumble" as the associated skill MIGHT be argued to be less Kord-like than "Sense Motive" but I can see a follower of Kord practicing their Greco-Roman wrestling with someone who is trying to get there next rank of Escape Artist, and has no interest in actually trying to win in the usual sense, then accepting when the slippery fellow offers to teach them how to do a somersault in return. Not sure if that is better than whatever else was found however, but I think it does have the "brawling feel".

P.S. And the entry for Lloth is good to go in my opinion. Very good work. Just for flavor, you might say that if Net isn't on the list for Cthonic Serpent associated weapons they can add it... of course that might mean they can ANIMATE the net with their own strength, but that applies almost as much to using a spiked chain at the extreme end of its reach with the grappling maneuvers of that discipline.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-01-26 at 03:43 PM.
    Extended Signature