New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Kalamarin a 3.5 Player Race [PEACH]

Did you draw that picture? It's really nice.

You've done well on the fluff, other than a few typos. You need to include the kalamarin creature type and racial languages in the stat listing, though.

Their squidlike bodies, and what I'm assuming is a hydrostatic skeleton means that they might be good at fitting through small spaces like an octopus can. You could give them a big bonus to Escape Artist checks, and say that when they are unencumbered and wearing no more than light armor, they are treated as one size smaller for the purpose of fitting through small spaces. (I made a race like that a while ago, never posted it, though.)

I think the kalamarins are a little on the weak side for a +1 LA (but much too strong for +0), but the Escape Artist abilities should help. Also, the picture suggests they have 4 arms, which is worth a +1 LA, and would put these guys at +2.
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TabletopNuke View Post
    Did you draw that picture? It's really nice.

You've done well on the fluff, other than a few typos. You need to include the kalamarin creature type and racial languages in the stat listing, though.

Their squidlike bodies, and what I'm assuming is a hydrostatic skeleton means that they might be good at fitting through small spaces like an octopus can. You could give them a big bonus to Escape Artist checks, and say that when they are unencumbered and wearing no more than light armor, they are treated as one size smaller for the purpose of fitting through small spaces. (I made a race like that a while ago, never posted it, though.)

I think the kalamarins are a little on the weak side for a +1 LA (but much too strong for +0), but the Escape Artist abilities should help. Also, the picture suggests they have 4 arms, which is worth a +1 LA, and would put these guys at +2.
    Yep I drew it myself although I draw much better with a pencil, but thanks! I'd say the hydrostatic skeleton is definitely fluff-worthy, but I changed the camoflage and they do have four arms so...
    Pm me about your Homebrews I'll take a look!

My Homebrews

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel110 View Post
    Kalamarin

KALAMARIN RACIAL TRAITS +2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON,
    Medium: As Medium creatures, kalamarin have no special bonuses
    or penalties due to their size.
    Kalamarin base land speed is 30 feet. Kalamarin are amphibious and gain a +8 racial bonus on swim checks, and can always chose to take 10, their swim speed is 30 feet.
    Kalamarin have ... Four Arms!!!

Fast Healing 1: At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals 1 hit point. A kalamarin that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs. Lost limbs regrow over a period of 1d4 months.

Natural Camouflage: If a kalamarin remains in one place, they may naturally change color to hide their location as a full-round action, and gain concealment (confers 20% chance to miss), and the ability to make Hide checks, even when being directly observed, as long as they don't move from that location.

Level Adjustment +1

Favored Class: Fighter, though they are also known to become rogues. When determining whether a multiclass kalamarin takes an experience point penalty, her fighter class levels do not count.

FIXED!
    Interesting. I think it could be better if you defined whether all 4 limbs can use weapons. If they can, then the LA should be higher. If they are using only their natural weapons (4 claws), then the appropriate feat is Multiattack.

Creatures with multiple limbs should have Multiweapon Fighting as a feat if they can use weapons. From the looks of this, it has natural weapons. Obviously with claws, normal weapons could be difficult to use.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-01-28 at 05:54 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nope their hands are quite nimble but you have to use up a feat for multi-weapon fighting if you want it, otherwise you'll have to use the extra arms for something other than fighting. (even with the feat you receive -8 on main and -10 on the rest)

My Homebrews

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

New materials: Until recently kalamarin did not have access to metal weapons or armor, so naturally kalamarin characters have a tendancy to use the materials listed below.

Weapon Material:
    Pink Coral: More effective and durable than stone, coral can be easily carved into a myriad of weapons from swords to staves. Pink coral is a substitute for steel and has no effect other than visual.

Red Coral: An expensive variant of pink coral, it harbors a powerful neurotoxin, and on a critical threat, a Red Coral weapon deals 1d6 points of Dexterity damage (Fortitude save DC 15 negates).it costs an additional 500 gp to make a red coral weapon. Red coral weapons must also be masterwork.

Blue Coral: Blue coral is a tough but light variant with a pristine edge, Blue coral is so light that one-handed weapons made from it count as offhand weapons, and weapons made from it may be used by creatures a size smaller than the size it was designed for may use it. Blue coral weapons must be masterwork and cost an additional 600 gp to make.

Armor: Coming soon...
    Last edited by Strudel110; 2010-01-28 at 10:15 PM.

My Homebrews

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel110 View Post
    New materials: Until recently kalamarin did not have access to metal weapons or armor, so naturally kalamarin characters have a tendancy to use the materials listed below.

Weapon Material:
    Pink Coral: More effective and durable than stone, coral can be easily carved into a myryad of weapons from swords to staves. Pink coral is a substitute for steel and has no effect other than visual.

Red Coral: An expensive variant of pink coral, it harbors a powerful nuerotoxin and deals 1d6 dexterity damage on a successful hit (Fort negates), it costs an additional 500 gp to make a red coral weapon. Red coral weapons must also be masterwork.

Blue Coral: Blue coral is a tough but light variant with a pristine edge, Blue coral is so light that 1 handed made from it count as offhand weapons, and weapons made from it may be used by creatures a size smaller than the size it was designed for may use it. Blue coral weapons must be masterwork and cost an additional 600 gp to make.

Armor: Coming soon...
    Myriad.

Neurotoxin.

One-handed. Always spell out numbers unless they have three or more words. Also, just because I feel nice (and too lazy to explain all rules and guidelines): OWL on numbers.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I have typos sometimes, although I know those rules I'm not quite sure why I didn't spell out one.

My Homebrews

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Red Coral is strictly better than about...oh...half of all magical enhancements. If you want to keep the dexterity damage, make it read something like this:

On a critical threat, a Red Coral weapon deals 1d6 points of Dexterity damage (Fortitude save DC 15 negates).

That's probably worth 500gp...maybe a little more, but close enough.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah figured it was unbalanced... will fix!

My Homebrews

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

By the way you guys can come up with materials and new weapons if you want to, I'll be adding armor and maybe fluff later.
    Last edited by Strudel110; 2010-01-29 at 02:52 PM.

My Homebrews