New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Wildlife Encounters in the Playground

I'm currently experiencing an array of emotions at present: excitement, contentment, privilege.

I just recently had a visitor of the owl variety. And it was amazing. In all my years in Oz, I've never seen a native owl before, and never one this close before. It called last night as well, and its cry, so distinctive and loud was what drew me to it.

It was grand, especially as its distinctive call may mean it was a barking owl, a species that is endangered over here in Victoria.

What are/were your awesome wildlife encounters and experiences, fellow Playgrounders?
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Wildlife Encounters in the Playground

Deers and Squirrels with a deathwish. I actually once saw a car right in front of me get a double kill on two squirrels.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

Interestingly, I've recently had the interesting privilege to learn that coyotes have a fairly good hyena impression, because I could have sworn I heard a teenager laughing and there was no one home or about, just the coyotes coming up around and by the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4

I have a banjo frog =D Also today I hit a kangaroo in the head with an acorn. It turns out the deer like them, but kangaroos are pretty nonplussed by them.
    My ex's cat was once hunted by a wedgetail eagle...

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I have a banjo frog =D Also today I hit a kangaroo in the head with an acorn. It turns out the deer like them, but kangaroos are pretty nonplussed by them.
    My ex's cat was once hunted by a wedgetail eagle...
    ...Wait...What? Deer?! In Australia?!
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Since I live in the south west USA, I have seen alot of desert animals. The ones that left a lasting impression were

A gila monster that weighted about 20 lbs. I crawled through the chainlink fence and into the back yard.

A rattle snake that crawled all the way up onto my parents back porch.

A skunk that got chased by our dog under the house and then sprayed. That was a lasting impression that got my dad (who was in the Air Force at the time) some time off work because his boss could not be around him because of the smell.

A baby rattle snake that I almosted tried to pick up because I thought it was a worm.

A baby (very close to new born) deer. We were walking and saw it but not the mother, of course did not even try to touch it. Few min later saw the mother, pretending to be hurt to get us to follow it away from her child.

Recently a pair of havalina, one that was sleeping under my parents front porch. I left their house late at night after being over there looking after things while they were visiting family.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ...Wait...What? Deer?! In Australia?!
    I think they're pests or semi-pests in some places. These particular ones, however, are in "the Deer Park" attached to the university. In fact, part of the will granting the university use of those grounds stipulate that there must always be a deer park. That's also where the kangaroos were.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

......Buh...Buh...
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9

Armidale's deer:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, can't seem to find what that particular species of owl was/is (may even be a tawny frogmouth but its cry is different); can still hear it calling, and just recently saw it over the neigbour's fence sitting atop their wooden biped ladder.

Speaking of frogs, at least three of our neighbours have frogs calling from their water features, two from small ponds and one from a swimming pool possibly converted into a billabong. Can hear one now, it's rather loud. It's awesome, wish we had one of those. The frogs in question are most likely eastern banjoes. Although we did have a non-calling frog that used to occupy our swimming pool, it's gone now.

Kangaroos are quite common here as are possums, to the point where they become almost ubiquitous; its guaranteed that you will hear at least one possum screeching and hissing every night. It's a testament to their adaptability no doubt.

Speaking of nature creeping into suburbia, our uni occupies quite a considerable area, and it was built to include a moat (a little river) and lakes and such abound. One can see rabbits, foxes, monitor lizards, long-necked turtles, native ducks, swans, geese, kangaroos, and that's just within the school grounds.

And of deers and does, we have a Melbourne suburb named Deer Park, presumably it was where the early settlers kept their deer, possibly for hunting or breeding purposes. It's a proper suburb now.
    Don't deer have internal parasites that are potentially fatal to humans?

Wait; nope, doesn't sound like a tawny frogmouth.
    Don't know what it is, it's almost a screechy cry with hoo-hoo.
    Last edited by Amiel; 2010-01-28 at 07:18 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I live near a river in North Florida, and we get big ospreys that catch fish come up into our yard to sit in a pine tree and eat their catch. The campus of my university has a bunch of lakes on it and there are alligators in some of them that we see all the time. We also have about 40 canadian geese which run all over campus and never migrate North in the summer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Walking around in the woods near my granddad's house in upstate New York, I walked within 15 feet of a pair of deer without even realizing they were there. At which point they spooked and fled. I then stalked after them for about half an hour, seeing how close I could get without them running; never closer than 25 feet, but I really enjoyed it.

On a bus trip across the southern US, when we were in... Nevada, I think it was. My sister and I were walking along towards a lookout point. As she passed a scrubby bush, we heard rattling and a hiss. I stepped right the hell back upon hearing it, and quickly saw the rattlesnake it was coming from slowly rearing up. I walked several hundred feet out of my way to another cleared path to get past it.

And then there was my time in Ecuador. I don't have time to list everything awesome I saw, nor do I have pictures of some of the best animals, but I hope these pictures will give you a sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a coral snake. No, the picture is not zoomed in. It was almost at my feet. In retrospect, I should have stepped back.

Parrots at a clay lick.

The most surprised cane toad in the world.

Bullet ants wrestling.

A roseate spoonbill, snowy egret, and cocoi heron - the main water birds of Ecuador - lined up in size order.

And I just wish I had pictures of the sloth, monkeys, fish, birds of prey, and peccaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Armidale's deer:
    How cute! We have the same kind of deer in a park next to where I live + two more kinds. They can not be petted, though. They are too shy.

Edit: The kinds are: Red Deer (300), Fallow Deer (1600 ) and Sika Deer (100). So 2000 in all.
    Last edited by Miklus; 2010-01-28 at 12:05 PM.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

14. - Top - End - #14

I was hiking with my mom once and saw a wild turkey running from a bobcat. I suppose the turkey was just startled, and the bobcat wasn't actually hunting, because it passed the turkey and turned onto our trail. It then saw us, paused, and fled.

I saw a black bear while backpacking in King's Canyon. It saw us and fled into the brush immediately.

15. - Top - End - #15

We were running back to our rooms at the fish cannery I worked for in Alaska. As we rounded a corner we all stopped short as we encountered the bear. Poor guy was just looking for a bit of an evening snack, I'm sure, but finding yourself less than ten feet from all those teeth and claws is quite the adrenaline rush. He looked at us. We looked at him. Then he shuffled off to find a less crowded place to snarf.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

On a cross country trip i drove through yosemite and it was great but we didn't see a single animal (we had only 1 day there). Not a single animal that is until we were on the exit road. First all the cars were stopped with the rangers at the front. then we saw the shapes coming up the road, one minute later we were sitting in the middle of a buffalo herd and we could't find our camera at first.
    Last edited by IsaacTheHungry; 2010-01-28 at 01:51 PM.
    I tried to be a nurf herder but the nurfs wouldn't listen

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

The most memorable "wild"life encounter for me happened at the Kolmården zoo safari park in Sweden some ten odd years ago.

We were driving through at a slowish pace when a bear walked right infront of the car, stopped there (thus stopping us as well), and took a dump. We were taping the entire time through the park, so naturally it was recorded as well.

Living outside of anything that could be called majorly urban, there are days when all I have to do is look outside to find a hare or a squirrel. But only rarely do I find one that is happy to be photographed by yours truly from ~1-2 m distance on the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

At our cottage we got a lot of birdlife, but rarely swans that align so perfectly for a photo. I've got the original photo somewhere, for now I could only find the screenshot from when the image was my wallpaper.

Spoiler
    Show

Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

On the way home from my old work I would cross a decent sized field and a coyote happened to live in it. It would rear its head my direction (probably smelling the sandwich I was taking home) and watch me as I passed. I swear it was getting more and more used to me, as each night it seemed to be getting a little closer before stopping and watching me pass.
    I never got the vibe that he felt threatened or anything, and if it had decided to run at me, I'd probably have thrown my sandwich at it in hopes of giving an easier, better smelling thing to bite on.
    "I am the Undying Terror!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Blace avi by Rowsen!
    Avis and dolls are the fine work of Recaiden!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I walked past a stag once on the way home in Berkeley, late at night. So that was pretty cool.

And a friend of mine was something like 20 feet away from a mountain lion (close enough that they can pounce). Although I wouldn't be surprised if he could take a mountain lion in a fight, rather intense person.

20. - Top - End - #20

Armidale's deer:
    We have those in Uruguay. Some guy actually started bringing australian species into Uruguay some time ago and those deer are some of the ones that survived (and became a pest).
    I think it was the same guy who brought Eucalyptus too, which turned out to be wonderful habitats (is that the right word?) for some species of parrots that in turn started breeding like crazy and are now a huge pest.

21. - Top - End - #21

I don't know if I would call this "wildlife", but at a park in Eastern Oregon, I had an encounter with a chipmunk. Thing was so used to humans that I snapped my fingers like I had food. Zoom!, up the pants leg, stop maybe two inches away from my fingers, realize there was no food to be had, Zoom! and off.

It wasn't the only chipmunk like that either.

During an outdoor camp, we had one of the counselors throwing things at a curious coyote - didn't want the animal to get too used to humans, as it wasn't safe for the coyote.

Had a few encounters with possums, a few deer, a raccoon, but nothing close or majestic.
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

There are quite a few pheasants where I live, so I see them quite often. You can also see roe deers around sometimes, especially in winter. Sometimes, our dog chases them. Once, one of them ran just past my mother. I guess finding a hedgehog in our garden counts too. There are also a lot of carnivorous birds not far away from where I live, in the national park, and it's possible to see some of them almost up close if you have a good pair of binoculars.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #23

A chipmunk ran over my lap once while I was sitting at a picnic table. Startled me.

There's an area down the street from me with a fence blocking off the road, and there's always deer in there. People throw them bread sometimes. I don't know where they come from; I live in a suburb, and that patch of land is right near the river. No forest or anything.

My parent's new-ish vacation house had bats living under the siding. They got into the enclosed porch/sunroom a few times. The first time my mom noticed that, she pushed me into the room and then locked the door, since she thought they were deadly. She refused to open the door even to pass me a towel to try to catch them with or anything. Yes, that's right, she tried to kill me.
    Of course, bats aren't quite as fatal as she seemed to think, so I just spent 15-20 minutes standing out there ducking and dodging as they flew back and forth, until the finally discovered the outside door I had opened for them.
    She tried that another time, but I knew what she was going to do and stopped her from slamming the door. My sister and I managed to obtain a towel and a flashlight, which made it much easier to get rid of them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mainly I deal with squirrels. Here on campus, they will eat out of your hands if you have food. If I really wanted to(and had a small stash of food) I could probably get one in my pocket.

Otherwise, I have mainly dealt with birds at home. The squirrels there are much less comfortable around people, so no hand feeding them. On the other hand, I did once have a raccoon about 15 feet away from me. He was across the driveway and halfway up a tree directly across from the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ah yes, we've had a squirrel who liked to chew his way through the screen door.

There's a little room there before you get to the real door. It's where we keep the dog food (sealed), and the dog biscuits (not sealed), and some other things.
    I took the screen to a hardware store where they fix screens. The guy asked if I wanted to replace it with the same kind of screening, or a stronger, better, guaranteed pet-proof kind. I said it was actually a squirrel.
    "Oh. Well... Uh, not guaranteed then. It might help a little?"
    I went with the better kind. It did not help. And we thought the squirrel was dead from some poison we'd put out, as he hadn't ripped through the tape in several days.

26. - Top - End - #26

On my way home from school one day, I was walking on a bridge over some train tracks. Suddenly, some bird of prey landed on the railing not 10 feet away from me. Of course, it saw me, and took off immediately. I'm fairly certain it was a red tailed hawk, based on size and colouration.

I've also seen another bird of prey in a field fly away into some trees, leaving a groundhog carcass that I investigated.

27. - Top - End - #27

In Germany we slowly get some problems with ravens.... They start to ignore humans/ don't see them as a treat. I once parked near one. Car came a good half metre in front of it to a stop. The raven didn't even hoped away.
    Two rules get you through life:
    1. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.
    2. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it

28. - Top - End - #28

Most recently, I've been in touching distance of several alligators in the Florida Everglades and had ring-tailed lemurs (critters at left) climbing on me at the local wildlife park. I also got to pet a kangaroo- maybe old hat for folks like Serpentine, but I thought it was cool.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

In the city, there are, of course, the usual birdies, and squirrels. (The park near my house has one of the worlds only non-albino white squirrel groups) There are also a couple of deer, but they usually stay in the parks and ravines. We have gigantic raccoons. We once had one stuck in a tree at school a couple of years ago. It was pretty cool.

I have twice seen peregrine falcon's hunting. The first time I was really little, and it was perched on top of my school, eating. The second time, it was winter, and it had JUST killed a pigeon in the snow as I was walking by. I managed to videotape it.

Um... While on our Saskatchewan/Alberta/BC trip, we saw bears, and were chased from some salt flats by a large hawk of some kind. In our car. It was very aggressive. Oh, and we saw a corral of bison. My mum tried to cross the road to take pictures of them, and they mini-stampeded to the other side of the corral. Oh, and we saw wild turkeys.

While on our US South trip, we saw more bears, deer, alligators... spiders the size of your hand, grasshoppers just as large...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Once, by my house, we saw a black-footed ferret, which are extremely rare. It was swimming across a river. On the other side, it paused and looked at us. At the time we had no idea what it was, but, after several biology lectures, I am sure it was.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things.
    ~Kurt Vonnegut