New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default How long has Thanh been lefthanded?

Am I just noticing this now or has Thanh been southpaw for more than just the current strip (#705)?

I guess I noticed mostly because my namesake and favorite character ever was lefthanded and my best friend is a southpaw.

Historically, a lefthanded man had a few advantages, especially in a duel against an overtrained fighter who's used to confronting ordinary righthanded fighters, but had the drawback, at least in Europe, of lefthandedness somehow being associated with character flaws. The word "sinister," as well as the word "gauche," are both references to the left hand, and we all know that a lefthanded compliment is not necessarily a good thing. The Biblical reference to the wicked being at God's left hand didn't help either.

If these lefthanded tropes are common in Azure City, it might explain why Thanh was a glorified messenger tather than being trusted as a warrior -- and would make an interesting commentary on Thanh leading the remnants of Azure city in the most "lefthanded" period of its history.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2010-03-05 at 10:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: How long has Thanh been lefthanded?

Back in the storeroom attack, when Thanh carried his sword in one hand, it was always his left.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateGuy

Actually in panel 4 he's carrying it in his right hand. Also in the final 2 panels.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2010-03-05 at 10:25 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Other than the third panel in that strip, his default hand to hold the sword in that section is his right hand. (It's in his right hand when he runs off and uses his right to reach for it again after being hit.) In combat, he weilds the sword with both hands.

Edit: It's also in his left hand when Haley hits him out of Tsukiko's control. For everything else, he either holds it with his right hand or both hands.
    Last edited by FabuVinny; 2010-03-05 at 10:29 AM.
    *Detect Sarcasm*

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateGuy

Is Miko still the only one we've seen in the strip who wields an Azure City katana in one hand?

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

Traditionally, it's unheard of to wield a katana left-handed. Asians were less tolerant of left-handedness than even Westerners. Since it was a two-handed weapon, the right hand was always at the top of the hilt, while the left was at the bottom. Still, it looks like Thanh does wield left-handed at least some of the time. As a lefty myself, I think that's pretty cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Is Miko still the only one we've seen in the strip who wields an Azure City katana in one hand?
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html

No.
    Also some of this guys:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0459.html

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    Traditionally, it's unheard of to wield a katana left-handed. Asians were less tolerant of left-handedness than even Westerners. Since it was a two-handed weapon, the right hand was always at the top of the hilt, while the left was at the bottom. Still, it looks like Thanh does wield left-handed at least some of the time. As a lefty myself, I think that's pretty cool.

He could always be one of those nuts thats right handed but bats lefty (like me)

It makes it hard to weild a bastard sword or katana, but when i took a semester of tennis it gave me a hell of a backhand.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html left hand on top

and what is this japan east you speak of?
    Last edited by derfenrirwolv; 2010-03-05 at 11:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ambidexterity.

Peace,
    -Darakonis

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think that the holding of the swords works just like Haley's strand of hair. It depends of the direction the character is facing. Look at the elf from Team Peregrine in the last strip. When he is going to pick up the mouse, he is a lefty. But then, when he is showing it to Thanh he becomes right-handed.
    More to my point, imagine the elf holding the sword in one hand and the mouse in the other trying to swap them for the next panel. It just highly impractical.

What I'm trying to say is that I recon it is an art thing made that way to suit perspective.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Strictly speaking, the rules made everyone ambidextrous. Any hand can be the main hand, the other will be the offhand. You can even decide, as your turn starts, to switch main hands.

12. - Top - End - #12

"Right-handed" does not mean "does absolutely everything with the right hand". While some right-handers are practically helpless with their left hand, others can be reasonably proficient.

e.g. I'm very clearly right-handed, but I can do most tasks left-handed, and there are a few oddball things I'm more proficient at left-handed.

Incidentally, note that the one time in that scene where Thanh holds his blade in his left hand is when he is actively using his right hand to gesture at Belkar -- exactly what you would expect from a righty! (Or about to use his right hand -- as in when Haley hit him)
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2010-03-05 at 02:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    and we all know that a lefthanded compliment is not necessarily a good thing.
    Never heard of that expression. You mean a backhanded compliment? Rather a different implication there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Strictly speaking, the rules made everyone ambidextrous. Any hand can be the main hand, the other will be the offhand. You can even decide, as your turn starts, to switch main hands.
    Probably another facet of the "the average PC is way more awesome than the average commoner" trait. All adventurers are ambidextrous by default, because it's cooler that way.

14. - Top - End - #14

RangerGuy

There are no rules for tummy aches, after all

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    There are no rules for tummy aches, after all
    You should live in my campaign world. Here we have a drink called Hydra Blood. It's hydra blood distilled and left to ferment with a certain fungus in oak barrels for a while. Both the number of heads the hydra had and the time it fermented influence it's taste and alcoholic levels. More heads = more diluted. Fermenting for up to 12 years is what's considered non-fatal for consumption. 12.1 Hydra Blood = dwarves rolling fortitude saves after the first shot.

(failing the fortitude save renders you unconscious for 2d6 days)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Since he was born?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Since he was born?
    Studies are unsure of WHEN such definition as handedness is consolidated.
    To this day some people still don't realize that lefthandedness is just the way someone is born(or learned) and force righthandedness. Some kindergarden teachers are just weird and those things spoil statistics.
    Last edited by Snake-Aes; 2010-03-05 at 02:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Studies are unsure of WHEN such definition as handedness is consolidated.
    To this day some people still don't realize that lefthandedness is just the way someone is born(or learned) and force righthandedness. Some kindergarden teachers are just weird and those things spoil statistics.
    Yeah, my mother was born left-handed and forced to learn to do things with the right hand by her teachers. They tied her left hand to the pupil's desk when doing writing practice... so she writes with her right hand but does most other things with her left.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Methinks Amber and Dexter had a little kid named Rus. Therein lies your answer.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, my mother was born left-handed and forced to learn to do things with the right hand by her teachers. They tied her left hand to the pupil's desk when doing writing practice... so she writes with her right hand but does most other things with her left.
    This is the exact story of my aunt. Back in the days, that kind of thing was not uncommon.
    In my aunt's case, it was more specific to the catholic school she went to.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

My mom went through the same thing as well, then there was a fire drill. She was left tied to her seat. Needless to say the practice stopped.