New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: The Da'mall - Thread #2

Kemble heads down the path to the left, attempting to look busy. I wonder where I can find Dubos...

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ilrien

The swordsman bit back his instinctive response, hoping that his dislike of the Kalo wasn't apparent. It wasn't like the 'right' answer was difficult to imagine. "Well, I'm sure it's little more than a handful of discontents. How long can they last, without support from the Morienn proper? It can't be long." He stopped, thinking to finish there, but as the questioner opened his mouth again, the Morienn nobleman reopened his mouth, hoping to sow a bit of doubt with a question. "Surely we have the men to hold them down, even after the bulk of our forces take to the field come spring?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Keeping half an ear on Illrien's conversation, Ralen stares into the crowd intently, trying to see if any Kalo arcanists made it to the party. It would be an important information, Ralen thinks, if he would ever try to cast a spell during the occasion.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jahanne

Jahanne raises her voice to compensate for being at abdomen height.

"You surely can. I've been having trouble getting a straight answer out of your junior functionaries when it comes to understanding what your longer-term needs are going to be. We're happy to help supply your armies, but craftsmanship and transportation both take time. Who do I talk to about getting a straight answer about Kalo's needs NEXT season, so that we can start to prepare?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wilmorn

Wilmorn adjusts the glasses before responding. "That is a great question indeed! I intend to write the definitive book on this era..." Wilmorn feigns a glare at Ralen, hoping to hint at the academic competition at at stake here, before he returns his attention to the men. "...and I would love to hear your thoughts on this supposed "Resistance" and how you think it will be dealt with. I hope to be able to capture your insights for posterity's sake."

Wilmorn pauses for effect, to let those last words linger a moment. "How silly of me, I fear I have not the honor of knowing your names. May I inquire as to whom I have the honor to be speaking with? I am Wilmorn, and am myself most happy Lord and Lady Kharand offered me this opportunity to meet and speak with such knowledgeable folks as yourselves."
    Last edited by VinGoodman; 2010-05-11 at 11:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246

Jahanne
    Spoiler
    Show

The three men share surprised glances as you go on the offensive.
    "Ah... Of course..." One stammers. "You see, dwarven craftmanship is so excellent, that outfitting our elite soldiers with your people's goods is a high priority."
    "It's simple really," Another takes over. "The probability of victory in a one on one engagement increases with the quality of the equipment. Naturally we wouldn't waste this on the lower rank and file, but -"
    "What we really need," The third one takes over. "Is for the dwarves to continue to bring arms and armor sized for humans in as large amounts as you can. I'm sure the Emperor will compensate you for your troubles. Tell me, how is Hammerfist doing these days? I heard there was some trouble recently?"

Ilrien, Avandra, Wilmorn and Ralen
    Spoiler
    Show

As Illrien speaks, the group listens with apt attention. Before one of them has crafted a response, Wilmorn takes advantage of the silence to speak.
    "How entertaining! A modern historian!" One older man says with a grin and a twiddle of his mustache. He introduces himself, but you immediately forget such an unimportant fact. He puts an arm around Wilmorn in a friendly manner. "You know, I believe this 'Morienn Resistance' is nothing more than a few off-duty members of the city guard trying to keep their jobs intact! Now I want you to quote me on that, you know... We've successfully pushed Morienn back to north of the river, and once we solidify our hold here we will be marching north in the Spring."

Kemble
    Spoiler
    Show

Doing your best to look servant-ish, you wander down the hallway. The general din picks up quickly as you walk, and you guess judging by the light and sound eminating from it that an opening further ahead on your right will lead to the party. At the end of the hall you see what must be the servant's stairway to the second floor.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

Kemble goes up the servant's stairway in search of something he may take to the guest so he isn't wandering among the nobles empty handed.

8. - Top - End - #248

Kemble
    Spoiler
    Show

You walk casually down the hall, stealing a glance to your right - the party appears to be still in it's opening stages, with guests gathering in a large anteroom.
    At the end of the hall you step softly up the stairs, finding yourself on the second floor. The stairs continue up to the third floor if you wish. The sounds of the party have all but receded as you find yourself in the quiet, secluded upper halls of the private residence.

9. - Top - End - #249

RedWizardGuy

Wilmorn nods in appreciation. He motions to one of the servants for more alcohol. With a toast to the man's prosperity, he continues the discussion. "That is an amazing theory. I'll be sure to include that in my analysis of this so called Resistance. Do you know what esteemed general will have the honor of leading the march North? Surely they will not leave such a momentous campaign to some young upstart without experience."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Kemble searches the room for anything of importance, then stealthily makes his way up to the third floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+14)[25]
    Hide: (1d20+19)[39]
    Move Silently: (1d20+17)[37]

I'm just going to use these hide and move silently checks for the rest of the evening.
    Last edited by Tyreus; 2010-05-12 at 10:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

RedWizardGuy

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just had to say...WOW! Wilmorn's handler is most impressed with those 20's. Wilmorn, of course, is completely clueless as to what you're up to, and thus missed the opportunity to appreciate the stealth of a lifetime (1 in 400! That's just not very often, if you know what I mean).

12. - Top - End - #252

Ilrien

Ilrien nods, listening carefully with a bit of a frown. He keeps his mouth tactfully closed as the man answers.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jahanne

Jahanne shakes her head and takes a quick look around to see if there's any beer in the offing.

"Yeah, Hammerfist is fine. Some damn assassination attempt or other. I guess no city's is as "secured" as you'd like to think, eh?

"And really? "Arms and armour, sized for humans in as large a quantity as we can? That's not exactly news. I guess I was tryin to figure out who we should be talking to about what armour, what arms? Don't get me wrong. We're good, but we're no mind-readers. Who should I talk to about those kind a details? I ain't in town that long."

Spoiler
    Show
    Jahanne is of course now completely oblivious to Kemble for the rest of the evening. Nice rolls!
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2010-05-12 at 11:48 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #254

OOC: I call Shenanigans on Kemble, and then promptly pistol-whip myself.

Jahanne
    Spoiler
    Show

Finally answering your earlier call for beer, a young man in Farthing livery approaches, interweaving through the crowd with practiced ease. He offers you a rather small mug before dissappearing as quickly as he appeared.
    "An assassination attempt?" One man asks, completely ignoring your question, "That's horrendous!"
    "It must be this so-called 'Morienn Resistance' everyone is so concerned about." The second adds.
    "Indeed. How it is that that riff-raff has yet to be arrested and hung elludes me."
    "You'll have to forgive us, lady dwarf, but we don't normally concern ourselves with the ... logistics of the our supply lines. That's really more of an enlisted man's job."
    "I wasn't actually talking about the assassination attempt, you know. I heard bandits were ambushing dwarven caravans to the east! Those Morienn scum still harrassing the neutral parties, of course. Has Hammerfist said anything about that?"

Spoiler
    Show

The older gentlemen twiddles his mustache as he ponders Wilmorn's question.
    "Hmm... I hadn't really given it much thought... I suppose General Elias Glade? He was the one who spear-headed the Corsand siege..."
    The group is interrupted as a younger, well-dressed man approaches through the crowd. You catch a glance of him coming; his eyes locked firmly on Avandra.
    "Ah, excuse me ladies, gentlemen." He says with a flourish. He presents a glass of liquid to Avandra. "The most handsome gentleman in the room said to give this to you?" He seems puzzled.

(DM'ing for Avandra as best I can)
    'Lady Kharand' accepts the drink, sniffing it's aroma nicely before taking a slight sip.
    "Delicious!" She pronounces with a soft smile. "I'm sorry, where is this man? I must surely meet him now!"
    "Hmm... I'm not quite sure. I think he told me he was going to deliver it himself." He smiles wickedly. "Yalos Farthing, My Dear. Who might you be?"

Kemble
    Spoiler
    Show

Avoiding explorering the second floor for now, you VERY EXTREMELY AMAZINGLY SILENTLY AND HIDDENLY make your way up to the third floor. It looks much the same from what you can gather from the stairway - a long hallway with numerous doors on either side. The stairs continue up to the roof level.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jahanne

Jahanne magnanimously says nothing about the "lady dwarf" comment, and is content to sip her inferiorly human but still much much better than nothing beer.

"Well, Lord Man, that kind of attitude is no doubt why assassins are running amok in your city. Enlisted men indeed. Do you think a dwarf army would leave decisions about how many thousand swords they need and when to some half-arsed corporal who couldn't be trusted at the front?"

She snorts, and takes another sip.

"Well, I apologize for my ignorance of proper military organization. What are you very important men focused on instead?"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Well at least I have an escape route now. The halfling thinks to himself. He then backtracks and takes the stairs the young man from earlier went down. Once down the stairs Kemble will try and procure a tray of food or a bottle of wine to take into the party.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Somewhat glad of the fact that Wilmorn manages to keep the attention of the group, Ralen continues to scan his surroundings, hoping to catch sight of any spellcasters attending the party. He throws antagonistic glances at Wilmorn every now and then to back his ruse, but keeps otherwise silent.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if I should roll for this, but:

Spot - (1d20+5)[19]

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Suddenly locking on to Yalos as a hunter locks on to his prey, Ralen's eyes narrow down to two slits, and after a second's consideration, he throws himself at the man with all force he can muster.

A moment later, looking rather flustered, Ralen dusts himself and Yalos off, helping him up if needed.

"I'm terribly sorry, I meant to pass by you... to go and talk to that fellow friend there," he gestures to an obscure direction, "...but I'm somewhat clumsy, you see, anyway, no harm done, right? Heh."

With that, he shuffles off to a random direction and starts to talk to the first person he encounters, in case the man continues to watch him from behind.

"Excuse me, sir, might I inquire you as to the whereabouts of the dear Lord Farthing?"

19. - Top - End - #259

Jahanne
    Spoiler
    Show

Jahanne Alcohol + 1 (now 1)
    Diplomacy > 1d20 → [13] = (13) Success!

The men look annoyed momentarily, but realize you are merely imitating their own rudeness towards you.
    "Apologies, my lady. We're not trying to be condescending... It's just... I don't know how things are run in the dwarven military, but we have quarter-masters, ledgers, clerks... A whole system for tracking and maintaining gear and supplies. The only time we deal with these issues is when equipment ..."
    "Goes missing." The second one chimes in. He adds little quotation marks in the air as he speaks.
    "Precisely." The third one responds. "We're like... Military investigators."
    "I suspect that some men are selling equipment to this resistance." The first one continues, "Equipment does have a habit of going missing lately."

Spoiler
    Show

(Surprised Ilrien isn't leaping to the rescue here, but I suppose his owner is AFK?)
    Ralen stumbles into Yalos, sending both men sprawling. He stammers an embarassing apology.
    Bluff > 1d20-1 → [19,-1] = (18) Success!
    "Not a problem old chap." Yalos replies off-handedly. "Although I'm afraid I must decline your invitation to dance. You're not quite my type."
    Ralen moves off in the crowd by himself.
    Yalos again tries his charm on Avandra.
    "Not all things mature nicely as they age!" He says with a laugh. "Lady Kharand, was it? I'm sure your husband would not mind if I borrowed you for a time?"
    Somewhat bedazzled by his elegance, Avandra and Yalos separate from the group.
    Ilrien and Wilmorn stand together, staring off into space.

Ralen
    Spoiler
    Show

Having successfully fooled Yalos, you strike up a casual conversation with a gentleman who appears to be on his own. His conversation is full of pleasantries, and of little important information, once he realizes you are a sage, and not 'of his own kind.'
    Damok telepathically chitters to you,
    "What was all that about?"

Kemble
    Spoiler
    Show

Backtracking down to the main floor, you sneak (still amazingly successfully) past the opening leading to the party and descend into the basement. In a similar floor plan, you face a long corridor, with openings to adjacent rooms on either side.
    Impossible to hide from the numerous servants moving between the basement and the main level, you try to act casual was you walk down the hall. You are assaulted by heat and steam, most coming from what smells to be the kitchen on the opening to your left.
    (Since you said you were looking for a platter or something to bring to the party, I'll DM it a bit more)
    Judging by his size, you can only assume the massive slob nearby to the head chef.
    "You!" He bellows. "Where have you been? Bad enough Lord Farthing's own servants are barely compentent, I don't know why he's brought in all you pissants from the Ruska Estate! Get lost on your way down here? Who are you?!"

20. - Top - End - #260

RedWizardGuy

Having gained a touch of information, and just as the gentleman appears to be moving on, Wilmorn braves just a touch more conversation. "I fear I recognize few here, and you appear to be a man of great connections. Perhaps you can help introduce me to some fine folks here who may have more insights into the recent going on's?"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Damok
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The pompous fool tries to use a charming spell on Avandra, that's what. I have no idea what he's planning though, aside from the easiest guess."

After his random banter with the lone gentleman, Ralen casually walks back to the "Kharands", where he nudges Ilrien gently and whispers to him.

"That man has charmed her, and I mean literally, with a spell. What should we do?"

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jahanne nods sympathetically, sipping her beer.

"Ah, now, to make gear disappear - that's the job of officers. Inventory management. It's a problem we all have."

She allows a companionable pause in the conversation.

"Sorry, I just got here, so I didn't hear all a you get introduced. I'm Jade, Jade Triphammer."

She pauses to collect their names, then continues.

"Sometimes, when we're getting shrinkage in our stocks, it's because some critter's tunneled into the warehouses. Maybe it's just that our clan are smaller than these cities of yours, but it's right hard to steal a bunch of Sam Twohammer's breastplates and then try wearing one at your next guard shift. Usually, it's something else completely. But you've got so many warehouses here, it'd be hard to check on all of them, I guess."

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Zjackrum View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

(Surprised Ilrien isn't leaping to the rescue here, but I suppose his owner is AFK?)

Got it in one!

Ilrien

'Lord Kharand' winces, hiding both surprise and a most improper twinge of unexpected jealousy. Speaking in the same whisper, he replies, "How can we break it? Short of killing the caster, of course... pain to the subject works, right?" To be honest, he rather liked that idea, but this was a ball, after all. Glancing around, he continued. "Can you see Ke--our small friend around here anywhere? I'll try to get her back."

The bladesman nods idly to whoever he happens to be talking to, keeping a close eye on the dance floor. At the first break in the music, he steps forward gracefully, intent on having the next dance with his ostensibly charmed 'wife'.

Spoiler
    Show

Intending to follow up with a sharp heel on her insole to break the spell.

Barring any brighter ideas from his companions, of course! (That shouldn't be hard...)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Ushering Ilrien a step to the side, Ralen raises his tone to a more comfortable one, and starts at his characteristic, mildly excited voice that he often gets when he's talking about anything arcane.

"Unfortunately, once the spell has taken hold, it's rather hard to remove it without a direct dispelling. I have in my memory one instance of such a dispelling spell, but I'd rather use it on a more dire situation. Anyway. The charming spell, to my knowledge, can only be dismissed willingly by the caster, or is broken if the caster takes an offensive action on the, ahem, target.

Though I have another, more 'civilized' idea, so to say. Since this is a rather peaceful situation so far, you could confront the man directly, and tell that you would be greatly offended if he wouldn't cease his magic against your wife at this instant. This makes sense, and in no way compromises our disguise, other than hinting at the acceptable fact that you simply have means to detect a magic spell or two. What do you think?"

His mouth somewhat dried up, he glances around for a nearby drink, and rushes at it before listening for the bladesman's answer.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    finally back. the service took a bit longer than expected. barely had time to touch the computer, less to think of a good post. So... is Avandra charmed, as by the spell? need to know so i could act right. i thought she just played along to the man's natural charms in order to get information. will post after i know.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

26. - Top - End - #266

Ilrien

The bladesman whispers back, "If you think that best..." Trust in the mage's judgement has saved his life before. He takes a deep breath, composing himself.

Timing himself for a break in the music, he imagines himself a pompus noble back at court as he steps forward. He calls out in a voice not unsuited to the practice yard--an embarrassed Lord Farthing is precisely the goal, after all. "Lord Farthing, why have you bespelled my wife? I must insist you dispel your charm at once! Truly, this is not the sort of treatment a Kalo noble gives his guests... even one from Corsand!"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I assume Farthing is from Corsand--a Morienn traitor, rather than a Kalo noble. :-P If not, omit the last clause. This whole thing should replace the above action, and get everyone in trouble nicely. I hope Kemble hears!
    Last edited by Ellisande; 2010-05-16 at 08:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

Jahanne
    Spoiler
    Show

The three men introduce themselves properly, and you all share some pleasantries. You get the feeling these men don't really have much information that you could use.

Avandra
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Yes, you're charmed. You didn't get a will save because you weren't here ;)
    Yalos Farthing's voice intrigues you as he quietly speaks sweet nothings and compliments in your ear. He has only just spirited you away from Ilrien and the others when you are interrupted by Ilrien.

Ralen
    Spoiler
    Show

Damok chitters to you,
    "Hmm? Strange I thought I would have detected something like that. Maybe it's not an arcane spell?"

Ilrien and Ralen
    Spoiler
    Show

Ilrien calls Yalos Farthing out. The music stops, and most of the guests, who were politely ignoring you as unknown nobles, swing their heads at the chance of gossip and intrigue.
    Only a short distance away, Yalos turns towards you with a puzzled glance.
    "Lord Kharand, what false claims do you make? Though I will admit to shamelessly spiriting away your wife, are you truly so insecure as to think she would not return to you of her own accord?"

Wilmorn
    Spoiler
    Show

The man smiles and accepts your shameless compliment.
    "Ahh of course my boy. You would be wanting to speak with Ragan Doon, if you can find him. I think he might have more information on this whole 'Morienn Resistance' than I. A real boar of a man, I must say... You shan't be able to miss him - looks like beggar most of the time, though I think he's cleaned up somewhat, since he's here tonight somewhere."
    Before you can glean more information, the man seems to recognize a familiar face and with a quick apology, dissapears into the crowd. It is then that you hear Ilrien calling out Yalos Farthing.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Ralen

Damok:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hmm. Weird. If you say it's not an arcane spell, that rules out bardic magic as well, which leaves only some obscure clerical sects... or some other innate ability I can only imagine of. Still, I sensed it. Weird indeed."

OOC: With Ralen possessing such high ranks in Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft, I guess it's okay if I meta-game it a little to correctly display his level of knowledge?

As Yalos Farthing shamelessly defies Ilrien, Ralen silently takes a step forward, casting his solemn gaze onto both.

"Mr. Farthing. It's not Lord Kharand who is insecure here, but you. Do you lack the required social charm and wits so much that you depend on magic and spells to, ahem, 'spirit away' someone's wife?

"And before you deem my Lord's claims false, I must point out the fact that as a sage, I'm very well learned on the theory and usage of magic, so I should suggest that you don't pursue this subject any further unless you wish to shame yourself even more."

He pauses for a second to give emphasize on his next words.

"Please. Cease the spell and this wouldn't have to blow out of proportions. It's understandable. Lady Kharand has been coveted by men before, but here in such high company, I thought things would proceed in a more... civilized way."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2010-05-17 at 03:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Avandra

Avandra hears the voices of her new acquaintances. can't they see that this is just wrong? this man isn't using magic, but his own... charm.
    "Husband, wise Ralen, please stop this foolhardy! Sir Yalos is not the one to blame. i'm quite sure i'll detect the influence of such a thing, no? someone else would have noticed as well, don't you think?" but her voice trails a bit uncertainly at the last. she has started using her powers to charm others in the recent past, and they sort of acted like her, surely not...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avandra used similar tactics in the past. now with Ralen and Ilrien pointing it out, might she get a new saving throw? if so-
    Will throw: (1d20+5)[18]
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2010-05-17 at 04:54 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jahanne

Oblivious to the drama going on elsewhere at the party, 'Jade' is warming to her role as a trade emissary. She chats merrily with the three fatuous Kalo officers, getting their impressions of the city now that they've lived in Korsand for a year or more. Along the way, she sips at her beer.

At a comfortable pause in the conversation, Jahanne nods.

"Gennelmen, ya been really neighbourly, but I'm sure you'd rather be chatting up a girl with more leg and less brain, so I'll take my leave. Hammerfist said I oughta make sure I be sure to thank our host, and I better do that while I'm still on my first. Any of you able to point me in his direction?"

Bowing, she accepts what help she can get, and heads on to engage someone she thinks likely to be the host.