New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Second Draconic War - II

"Hah, yes, I'll admit I was half-expecting to end up running away from that fight. But proper tactics and magical assistance count for a great deal against simple numbers, and the creatures as a whole did not seem overly bright."

Kern grins at the King. "No need for apologies. We agreed to get you out of there, and so we shall; the direction we take when leaving is of little matter. Been a while since I was in Úngart, anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kern's at 15/21, so in no real need.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-07-22 at 11:00 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #752
    Firbolg in the Playground

Frankly, I never expected to even survive the battle; I assumed by the time it was apparent we would lose, escape might prove impossible for some or all of us, and intended to do what I could to allow the rest of you to run. I'm glad it never came to that.

Luis, once we reach a shop it will be a great day for us all, especially my aching back. We won't be incredibly rich by any means, but the proceeds from selling off the orcish equipment should allow us all to acquire some improved items for ourselves. And perhaps we should invest in a pack animal, to better allow us to loot...errr....acquire more items from any other battles we may, and likely will, end up in.

And it is no trouble, King. Here, let me see how bad your wounds are...

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check: (1d20+5)[15]

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't worry about it, milordship. Let's just be glad you're still in one piece, eh? Same for the rest of us, too. Resting sounds like a good idea. I very much hate travelling out at night in the middle of no man's land like this.

4. - Top - End - #754

Drace doses the king with a healing point, just to be sure, as well as one for Kern if he still requires it. Then he gives two to himself, and prepares to rest until the next day.

All right Kern, looks like your rat is back on watch. Harry, you'll take over after you get your four hours in.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

DM Scorer

Have you already ate today? Or do you need to eat before going to rest?
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

6. - Top - End - #756

Drace passes out ration packets to everyone.

Oh, and Luis, now that I'm slightly less burdened thanks to us eating here, might I trouble you for 5 arrows? I don't intend to use any of these numerous longbows I'm carrying; slings seems to have more impact. But circumstances might demand using a long range weapon, and I want to be prepared.

7. - Top - End - #757

Luis graciously takes a ration pack, giving Drace 5 arrows in exchange before having a meal.

Here you go. Anybody else who wants a few arrows, speak up or forever hold your peace.

8. - Top - End - #758

Thanks. Well, unless anyone else needs anything, I think we'll call it a night.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank'e." Kern nods to Drace, breaking the ration in half and giving the other to Bor. "I'll stick to my knives; can't use one of those oversized sticks anyway, and if there's someone my blades can't reach, I've got a spell or two I can throw that far."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-07-23 at 11:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #760

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't want to delay the segue into the next day by bringing it up in-character, but what spells have you been picking up? I realize I only have the faintest glimmer of memory of what you cast at the beginning of the big orc fight (probably because that was March or so), which was probably the only time you got to use any level 2 spells.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ice Knife (which I used to take out a tower) and Detect Thoughts were my first two level 2 spells. I just picked up Cloud of Knives and Daggerspell Stance, although the latter isn't likely to see much, if any, use until level 6, or 7 when I get into Daggerspell Mage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #762

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, I remembered the Ice Knife, but didn't realize it was level 2. Obviously you're using a lot of resources I'm unfamiliar with on this one, so probably best for me to just back out of the room slowly. Oh, and I think we're ready for the next day to begin in Into the White, everyone's now in bed.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

DM Scorer

A new day begins. Harry reports nothing unusual. The King is already up. "There is a small river a few steps in that direction if you look for fresh water... As soon as you're ready to go, we can leave and reach the rendevouz point."
    Last edited by Scorer; 2010-07-24 at 03:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

14. - Top - End - #764

Sounds good; let's all go have a drink from it, and Harry, you can refill the waterskins. Then we'll go ahead and continue the journey.

15. - Top - End - #765

Ah, we're closer... this is good. The sooner we're out of here the better.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

DM Scorer

You keep walking ahead and the mountains look everytime closer. You start to feel that the ground goes upward in a gentle slope. And after a few hours you reach a point in which the King stops and starts to do some animal noise, similar to an Owl.

A few seconds later, a similar sound if heard. The King replies and then three persons emerge from the trees. One of them is Mallard.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

17. - Top - End - #767

Drace grips his guisarme tensely. Signal or no signal, I can't help but be cautious. The last man who looked like you shapeshifted into a strange creature, and absconded with one of our comrades.

18. - Top - End - #768

That's right. He and I were prisoners together for a while... I still don't understand that, but, all in the past...

Luis glances at the king. Are these the rendezvous men, milord?

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

DM Scorer

Mallard looks at you with a puzzled expression... "I'm sorry, but it is the first time I meet you. I do not know what you talk about."

The King smiles and says... "I think I know what is going on. But before explanations, let me introduce you Lieutenant Commander Mallard. He's a trusted element in Valtán militia. And he is the mage I told you about. He is Arod, he is brother to Micen, which you may have met... But well, it is time to explain things. I beleive you are quite suited to help me in such endeavour, but if you are going to help me and help Valtlán is just about fair you know what we're facing." And just before the King has the chance of explaining anything, a Halfling interrupts the scene by running into the place...
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

20. - Top - End - #770

Drace believes he recognizes the halfling...Abogralia, is that you?

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

As the hafling approaches at a clip faster than his short legs would imply it becomes clear that whoever he is he isn't the Abogralia you are familiar with.

"Hail strangers, pardon me, but is one of you a Drace Sterling or else know where the human might be? I fear I'm no 'Abogralia', but do have an urgent message for Drace Sterling's explorers." cries the small creature as he skids to a halt looking up, removing a wide-brimmed hat as he seeks to improve his view of the taller humans, revealing a rough shaven weathered face set with brown eyes and topped by black hair extending downwards into long sideburns. A battle ax and sling hang at the hafling's side with a modestly stuffed backpack hanging over one shoulder.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

22. - Top - End - #772

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, fresh meat. Was my second guess.

I see that. Well, I am Drace Sterling, and though these really aren't my explorers, they are companions of mine whom I fight alongside and travel with. What message have you, friend?

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

*blink*

The hafling gives Drace and his companions a second look and hesitates, the need for haste and desire to complete his task warring with the need for confidentiality and assurance of identity. Haste wins.

"Well! That be convent this once. I be Milo Nexthill, a courier sent by Micen of Valtlan to bring these words to the explores under or Drace Sterling, or to King Zenal himself, whoever I found first:"

Milo hesitates once more, fidgeting with his hat under the stares of the others, before firmly closing his eyes to recites: "Valtlán is being invaded by massive orc forces, counting in the thousands. They seems to came from Gratt islands. I will signal the decoy King to surrender and prevent blodshed and try to infiltrate with the orcs as a "human traitor" to see how I can help. Micen."

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #774

Drace is shocked by the revelation. Thousands?!? Here I thought the ones we encountered were the main force in our lands; instead they were nothing more than a paltry scouting outpost by comparison. I am glad you are safe here with us, Highness, but it would appear you no longer have a throne to sit upon.

Drace then regards Milo with renewed interest.

So, Mr. Nexthill...how did you manage to escape from the city during such a chaotic time? Must have been some impressive maneuvering on your part. But if you're a friend of Micen I'm not surprised; that crafty devil certainly was a major boon for us during the beginning of this adventure, no doubt he taught you a few things as well. How sad he'll be to hear of Garth's disappearance.

25. - Top - End - #775

Micen? Must be an acquaintance before I came along, he sounds like a right fellow...

Luis does a double take at the word of thousands of orcs. What!? That's insanity! We can't fight thousands. We barely got through a hundred.

Luis facepalms, leaning back a little. Oh, Luis... what did you go and get yourself into now... ah well. He lowers his hand, looking at Milo. It would seem I'm in this for the long run. What else do we need to know and what can we do to help?

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Kern raises an eyebrow. "That's certainly a troublesome matter. And it makes our little trip to Úngart rather more urgent, I imagine."

The gnome shrugs, glancing in the direction of the mountains. "Definitely a good time to take the tunnels, aye? If the orcs came through Gratt, Úngart has probably already taken notice, and avoiding the passes will get us where we need to go a fair bit faster. I doubt returning to Valtlán through normal means would be particularly safe at the moment."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

DM Scorer

The King remains silent and thinkful while listening to all of you. After a pause, he finally looks up with a worried, but always serene expression.

"This is mostly unexpected. At least, not so soon... Thanks noble halfling. I wish I could repay you for your service, but I'm afraid we're far from home. Indeed we need to get to Úngart's Capital City as soon as possible. And yes, the tunnels are the fastest way. It seems you've been to Úngart before Master Kern. Mallard, take Arod with you. Try to establish a secret vigilance post, and keep me informed of Valtlán's happenings. Please be careful, you're only three..."

Harry interrumpts. "If I may? I can be of assistance and help to your vigilance party with my fists. Also, I need only 4 hours of sleep and can be more useful there..."

"Thank you Master Harry, your help will be mostly welcome. Mallard, depart immediatly and please stay in contact."

Before leaving, the unnamed soldier removes his equipment, including a sword and some goods, and gives them to the King. The party leaves towards Valtlán. Harry says goodbye to all of you in a touching scene. These leaves you only with the King.

"Thanks for this equipment noble Sterling. You may now dispose of that smelly piece of equipment. And now, before we depart ourselves, I think it is most than proper that I brief you on the overall situation." The King takes a moment, sits down and starts drawing lines on the dirt.
    "First of all, tell me about this "Mallard" you met with..."
    Last edited by Scorer; 2010-07-25 at 07:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Highness??

The King, King Zenal is here?
    Milo final states incredulously, staring at the man Drace had addressed.

Eventually something in the King himself or in his companions regesters and the hafling clutches his hat to his chest in a shallow bow. Ah, no disrespect that Sir. I ah, just wish I had noticed sooner to give the message directly to you. Don't worry about gold, I saw the city falling and consider this a public service.

Now, traditionally I'd offer to carry a return message for a wee small fee, but fee or no I trust y'all'll forgive me if I decline to rush back into Valtlán alone at any price.

The hafling takes a breath to say more but then steps awkwardly back to join the others in listening.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, I didn't even notice you were posting Psionic hahahaha. Shows how much of a moron I am.

Luis waves to Harry, giving him a quick and informal two-finger salute. Thank you, Harry, for all you've done. Good luck.

Luis turns to the King, folding his arms, looking up a little as he recalls the events. I suppose I can start with that... I first met him, we had been fellow prisoners in a goblin hideout, until Drace and his band bailed us out. He looked exactly like the Mallard that you know, and we had no idea of his true identity until he turned into some kind of... white duck-man... thing, and absconded with one of our comrades, Garth, a bard who helped bail me out of that awful prison.

Luis taps his chin, scratching at his chin fuzz. Now that I think of it, the fake Mallard did posses some... rather cunning abilities, I noticed. You might say it takes a rogue to know one...
    Last edited by Strangie; 2010-07-25 at 08:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm. I was bleeding on the ground at the time, so I can't say much, but that does sound vaguely familiar. Still, the manner you described him vanishing in seems reminiscent of a teleportation spell of some sort, but I don't remember him using any magic before then." The gnome takes out a dagger and stares at his reflection in the blade, turning it from one side to the other as he concentrates.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana on the subject of what the false Mallard might have been: (1d20+9)[25]
    Spellcraft on whether his method of escape sounded like casting or an innate ability (presumably with some penalty for second-hand information): (1d20+11)[12]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei