New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Adventures in Fallcrest - IC

The Shepherd - Goliath Ranger

The Shepherd has been quiet the entire time, a silent stoic figure. He sits down heavily in one of the wooden chairs, and places his hands inoffensively in his lap. After a careful surveillance of his surroundings, he finally looks up at the serving wench.

"Do you have goat's milk, perhaps?"

Spoiler
    Show

Perception [roll]1d20+9[/roll]
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-19 at 03:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62

(OOC: Let's try this dice thing again. I always have trouble with it.)

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+9)[27]

Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-19 at 03:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+5)[24]

"I'll just have water, please."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/ranger

Lucan takes a seat at the table, his ears perking at the sound of conversation.

After listening, he asks the others, "What are the Upper Quays?"

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+10)[19]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-02-19 at 05:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Before reaching The Lucky Gnome, Pavick confirms the plan he'd proposed earlier with the others. "Okay guys. I'll follow you in after a few minutes. You'll not pay any attention to me, as if you don't know me. I'll go in pretending that I'm in need of a job. I'll do a bit of fishing around and see if I can get some information."

Pavick waits a little way down the street for the others to enter and then follows a few minutes later. He walks in putting on his best depressed face. Just inside the door he pauses, casting prestidigitation to cause the rain water to drain off of his hair and clothes. He marches up to the bar and sits down. "Hey, barkeep. Give me a drink. Make it strong." He rests his chin in his hand a frown on his face."

Spoiler
    Show

Perception Check (1d20+3)[22]
    Bluff Check (1d20+9)[29]

Edit: Hey, good rolls. The dice gods favor me. Sacrifices of many doritos and liters of mountain dew will be made. Despite all that, I don't think the Perception would really apply to me, now that I've read it.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-02-19 at 06:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The waitress nods at Eltain's and Aramil's orders, but gives a pause at Shepherd's. "Uhh...I'm not sure. Let me see what I can find in the back".

As the waitress walks off, she gives a quick, snorting laughter at Lucan's question. "You're not from 'round here, are ya?" Without waiting for a response, she continues. "The rapids in the river keep boats from sailing all the way down. Cargo is unloaded at the Upper Quays, and brought down here below the waterfall and loaded onto other boats at the Lower Quays." She gives a vague nod towards the western wall of the tavern; presumably at the docks that lie not far beyond. She sniffs, and sizes the bard up. "If you're looking for work at the dock's, upper or lower, I'd reconsider. You don't have the build for it." She pauses, glancing at the Shepherd. "You could make a fair bit, I'd wager."

With that, she heads towards the bar to fetch the drinks.

At the bar, the man standing behind the counter pours a foul-smelling liquid into a cleaner-than-expected cup, and sets it in front of Pavrick. "Problems?" He asks, although it's clear he's questioning more for appearances sake rather than any real concern.

A few minutes later, the waitress returns with a beer, a water, and a strange smelling white liquid she sets in front of the Goliath. As best as Shepherd can tell, it's a strange mixture of cow-milk and cheap ale.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:19 AM. Reason: I can't spell "Shepherd"

7. - Top - End - #67

Shep doesn't exactly know how to take the woman's comment. It seems complimentary, so he responds with a flat "Thank you."

When she returns and places the drink before him, his brow slumps forwards. He purses his rock-like lips together, and brings the tankard up to his nose where he takes a delicate sniff; a proper connoisseur. The Shepherd's eyes immediately narrow, and he turns his head back to the waitress.

"Your goats are liars."
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-20 at 08:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you," Eltain tells the waitress with another winning smile, this one a bit more coy. He takes a sip of the beer only to choke on it at Shepard's comment. He tries unsuccessfully to hide his mirth behind the glass, and lets out a strangled laugh.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-02-20 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Derp, wrong colour
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The waitress stares at Shepherd, trying to decide if he's truly as ignorant as he appears, or if he's simply trying to fluster her. Eventually, she decides on the former, and gives a nod and a smile. "I'll make sure to tell the owner not to trust them."

With a half-wink to the rest of the table, she returns to her scrubbing duties.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:19 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

"Good. That would be wise."

He sets the mug back on the table, and edges it slightly away from himself with a single finger. As if they very close proximity of it were insulting his shepherdly status. He nods at his companions thoughtfully.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick takes a swig of the "drink" placed before him. He chokes a little, but manages to get it down.

"Yeah, plenty. Nobody in this town's willing to give a gnome a chance. Everybody's looking for big ogre types. I may not be able to carry a lot, but I've got other talents." To emphasize this point, he conjures a mage hand that pulls the coins out of his pouch to pay for the drink, depositing them in the bartender's hand. "Nobody'll listen though. I need some work and I need it quick," he complains loudly.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-02-21 at 01:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/ranger

Lucan decides not to be insulted. He's no weakling, but he's certainly not as strong as shepherd. When Shepherd calls the goats liars, he asks, in all seriousness, "How can you tell whether a goat's honest or not?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain - Half-eladrin Paladin

"Well, you have to look them in the eyes very carefully and fully, and watch their body language the entire time. You also have to listen to their sounds, you can hear it when they're lying, it sounds completely different from when they're telling the truth," Eltain says. His tone is serious but there's a gleam of mirth in his eye.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-02-21 at 11:26 AM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

14. - Top - End - #74

Shep studies Eltain for a good long while, the wheels in his head visibly and almost audibly turning. He finally taps his chin.

"With a little practice, you would make a fine shepherd."

The Shepherd nods solemnly.
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-22 at 02:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Bartender raises an eye at Pavrick. "Well, depending on what kind of work you're looking for, you'll need a lot more than simple parlor tricks," he says, dropping the coins into a pouch on his belt. "If you don't mind my asking, why do you need the work so quickly"

Aside from the scattered conversations, the bar is mostly quiet. The humans in the corner finish their drinks and head out. The Halflings are speaking to each other in low voices, but the conversation begins to get more and more heated. They're clearly upset about something.

The cleaning is soon done, and the two waitresses sit at one of the empty tables, laughing with one another, although the girl who brought you your drinks earlier keeps an eye on the table to see when anyone needs an additional drink.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick sighs loudly. "I got into a little spot of trouble. Let's just say there was a pretty big wager on a hand of cards and I came out owing quite a bit of gold. The quicker I can get it paid off, the better chance I have of keeping my fingers."

He takes another swig from the drink. "And don't you worry, I can do more than just simple tricks. I'm a skilled wizard, I know several useful rituals. I've even picked up a few that most wizards don't know. So, have you heard of anybody who might be interested in hiring on someone with a few tricks up their sleeve?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Bartender leans down, grabs another glass to clean while he slowly moves over to Pavick. "The only problem with the kind of jobs you're looking for, is that they tend to be jobs other people wouldn't take for some reason or another. Would you be looking for work that good, honest citizens have avoided?" He eyes the gnome, a slow grin twitching at the corner of his lips.

[OOC: *Sigh* Stupid Bartenders who can't roll higher than a 2 on an insight check...[/OOC]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil casually stands up and walks over to the halflings, taking a seat nearby. "Excuse me, but I couldn't help but overhear that you have some trouble. I happen to be a problem solver, and so I might be able to help you solve your problem."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

One of the Halflings, a (relatively) burly fellow with curly hair, gives a jump at Aramil's voice, clearly on edge. He turns violently and looks up at the Eladrin. "Mind your own business!" he yells, before turning back to his companion. "I'm out, I'm done, tell Stephen I'm through."

With that, he finishes his drink, and storms out. His companion, a chubby blonde, gives a smirk, and turns to Aramil. Sorry about that, he's upset, but he'll come around. What do you mean you're a 'problem solver'?" He speaks quickly, over-enunciating his consonants.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Exactly that. I solve problems. Being trained in the arcane arts in the Eladrin courts tends to afford one such skills. For a nominal fee, I could perhaps solve the problem that you and this "Stephen" character seem to have."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

A twinkle flashes in Pavick's eyes, as he feels the bartender might finally be catching on. "Might be, might be. Like I said, I need money quick. The quicker the better. And the type of jobs that other people would avoid are generally the easiest way to get it. I'm okay with doing what needs to be done."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The blonde halfling's eyes narrow as Aramil mentions the name 'Stephan.' His previously kind voice takes on an edge of steel. "I'm sorry, I don't have any problems needing solved. I'm fairly sure that I don't know any Stephen, and I'm certain you misheard, correct?" You notice his hand drift under his cload, where you spy the hilt of a dagger. You have the distinct feeling that this halfling can, and will inflict great bodily harm on you. Not agreeing with him now will go very, very poorly.

The Bartender's eyes drift over to the halfling and the Eladrin, and quickly scans the bar for the bouncer, and makes eye contact. A moment of silent communication passes between the two before the Bartender turns back to Pavrick. "If you're serious about work, be at the 4th dock at the upper Quays two hours after sunset." reaches under the counter, and pulls out a small item that he palms into Pavrick's hand. "Wear this in your hat when you get there. I'll let them know that you're coming, but if you show up without that, you might find yourself with an arrow in your back before you've had a chance to explain yourself."

He gives Pavrick a nod, and moves down towards the other end of the bar, keeping an eye on the halfling, his hand drifting back below the counter. From Pavrick's perspective, he can see the bartender pull out a small hand crossbow.

Pavrick:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In your hand, you see that the Bartender has passed you a single right-hand glove. It glitters faintly.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:22 AM. Reason: putting the glove back in the hat

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick nods to the bartender. "Thank you very much. You've helped me quite a bit. I think this place has a very appropriate name; I'm certainly feeling lucky," he says while tucking the glove safely away where it can't be seen. He downs the rest of his drink and sets mug on the bar.

He slides off the barstool and leaves. On his way past the rest of the party, Pavick gives them a quick wink.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil's tone remains rather cheerful. "I may have. Careful with your anger, friend. My magic is not such to be scoffed at for this range." He pats the hilt of his longsword to emphasize the point. "If you don't have a problem, then I will take my business elsewhere. I did hear that the Rex family usually hires competent beings." Aramil begins to stand as if to leave.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Halfling starts to open his mouth, when he spies the bartender eyeing him. He sullenly finishes his drink, and slinks out the door.

With the exception of the three humans in the corner (day-laborers taking a break, from the looks of it) and the staff, you're alone in the taphouse, although that will no doubt change before two long.

As the halfling prepares to leave, the Bartender pulls aside one of the serving girls, and whispers in her ear, motioning to the door that the gnome just left. The girl nods, and quietly slips into the kitchen. A minute or two later, she reappears with a cloak around her neck, and moves quickly out the door.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan

Lucan watches the discussions going around him. "I wonder if Stephen is also a halfling. Does that sound like a halfling name to you?" he asks the others. "That reminds me about something I've always wondered. What's a ling, and how can someone be half of one?"
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-01 at 05:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

There is a long, stony silence from the goliath as he stares at the table in front of him helplessly. And then, as flashes of inspiration go, his head bolts upright. "Unless...unless they are not half Ling at all. Rather, they are half of a Wholeling. Perhaps that is why they are so short..."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil saunters back to the table, chuckling at the goliath's pondering. "That's the most sensible explanation I've ever heard for their name, actually." He lowers his voice. "The Stephen they referred to is probably one of the merchants that Rex mentioned investigating."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wonder if we should try following the girl... I'm not exactly good at following people stealthily, though, and I doubt I'd be able to charm her into not burying a dagger in me," Eltain says quietly, folding his hands in front of his mouth to keep his lips from being read.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/MC ranger

"I can follow her," Lucan says.

Spoiler
    Show
    If no one objects. Just let me know what rolls to make. Is it stealth for following someone in a city?