New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [4E] Adventures in Fallcrest - IC

DM POST

This round quickly turns the table in your favor. Despite his blindness, Shep's swing meets flesh, and Patsy falls with a cry. The thug is able to easily dodge the wild swing, but gulps audibly as he sees his leader fall.

Nearly simultaneously, the twang from Lucan's bow sounds, and the human mage skulking to the south who cast the orbs of darkness falls with a cry, a brightly fletched arrow protruding from his chest.

Eltain quickly moves to the human warrior attacking Pavrick, but the swing goes wide, and the human ducks out of the way easily, but still feels the divine compelling to attack the paladin.

Aramil has mixed luck: The human thug's armor protects him from the flashing blade, but the half-orc is not so lucky, and the blade bites deep.

Pavrick's shot at the mage hits her, but she braces herself against the blast of cold, and seems unaffected.

The caster, upon seeing both the halfling and her fellow mage fall, barks out orders. "Ignore him, get rid of those others guarding Lambert!" she shouts at the half-orc warrior. Recognizing her vulnerability on the top of the roof, she runs north and hops down on the far side of the building. The small shrine obscures her view of those in the tent, so she turns her wrath towards Shepherd. Blue shards of ice burst forth from her staff, catching the Goliath in the chest.(6 damage and slowed - save ends)

The Warrior gives a look promising death towards Aramil, but follows orders and charges down the staircase towards Eltain
    OOC: Aramil, you can make an opportunity attack
    With a roar, the Half-Orc puts all of his rage and fury into the attack as he swings his axe towards the Paladin, cutting deeply(16 damage)

The Human Warrior slides closer to Pavrick, but rather than risk the wrath of divine punishment, he also attacks Eltain, taking advantage of the half-orc's flank.(8 damage)

The two thugs, now both alone and vs. superior opponents, still show some measure of bravery, and launch themselves into attacks against Shep and Aramil, but only the attack against Shep is successful (4 damage)

Spoiler
    Show

Half-Orc caster. Attack vs. Shep's Reflex (1d20+8)[23] Damage: (1d10+3)[6] cold damage - slowed (save ends)
    Half-Orc Warrior Attack vs. Eltain's AC (1d20+9)[15] Damage: (1d12+5)[14]+(1d10)[2]
    Human Warrior Attack vs. Eltain's AC (1d20+9)[13] Damage: (1d8+1)[7]+(1d6)[1]
    Human Thugs
    - vs. Aramil's AC (1d20+8)[12]
    - vs. Shep's AC (1d20+8)[21] (4 damage)

Eltain (D4) (24 damage total - bloodied)
    Shepherd (L6) (19 damage total - bloodied - slowed(save ends)) [Dog - (L2)(4 damage)]
    Aramil (O11) (12 damage total)
    Pavrick (G9) (16 damage total - bloodied + 7 TempHP)
    Lucan (H5) (7 damage total +1 TempHP)

(21 - bloodied) Half-Orc Caster (O1)
    (19) Half-Orc Warrior (H8)
    (14) Human Warrior (F8)
    Human Thugs (K4), (N11)
    MAP
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-07 at 10:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Shepherd - HP 19/38
    AC 16, Fort 17, Ref 15, Will 15

As the blackness clears, Shep blinks his eyes and rubs them with the back of his hand. He gazes very slowly at the blade in his hand which runs red and dripping with the blood of the little man. His gaze then very slowly moves downwards to the little crumpled figure of the halfling at his feet. The look on Shep's face easily says the following, very audibly. "....huh."

This of course is all disrupted by the sudden icy chill in his veins and the collating ice freezing about his ankles. With a frown, he stares at the half-orc. He sighs in his gravely voice, and rolls his great shoulders. As the thug brings his sword down on Shep's back, he leaps into action. Even despite the frost nipping at his toes, his strides are determined.

Spoiler
    Show

Immediate Reaction: Using Yield Ground as the Thug hits Shep, he shifts to L2.

Standard Action Charges the Half-Orc at O1
    Attack vs. AC: (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage: (1d10+7)[14]

Minor Action: Offhand Strike against the Half-Orc
    Attack vs. AC: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[10]

Move Action: If the Half-Orc does not drop from these attacks, Shep retreats 2 squares to L1, and spends an Action Point to gain another Standard Action.

Standard Action: Thow and Stab. Shep throws his handaxe at the Thug, and charges the half-orc again with his sword held in two hands.
    Attack vs. AC against Thug at K4: (1d20+7)[22]
    Damage: (1d6)[5]

Action Point: If the Half-Orc does not drop from his first attack, Shep spends an Action Point to gain a Standard action, and makes a basic attack against the Half-Orc. If the Half-Orc does drop, he instead uses the Standard action to make a charge attack against the Thug at K4.
    Attack vs. AC: (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage: (1d10+8)[18]

Saving Throw: (1d20)[11]

Edit: The result for the attack roll against the Half-Orc is one less, and the damage roll is also one less.

Edit Edit: If the Half-Orc goes down from Shep's first strike, he'll still spend the action point, but instead uses the standard action to charge the thug at K4. And if possible, still using the attack roll here I've already rolled.
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-04-07 at 11:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

OOC: Haberdashery, unfortunately, if you make a charge attack, you aren't allowed to take an additional action after it (unless you use an action point), so your plan of shift - charge - minor -move - AP won't work.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-06 at 01:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/MC ranger
    HP 29/36 + 1 temp hp AC 18 Fort 14 Ref 14 Will 17

When the half-orc attacks Eltain, Lucan has a sudden flash of insight, and time slows as he nocks and shoots his arrow. If the arrow hits, it slows the half-orc, giving Eltain a precious moment in which to attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Immediate Interrupt when the half-orc attacks Eltain
    Use Daily: Arrow of Warning on half-orc
    Attack Half-orc v Reflex - (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage - (3d10+5)[19]
    If hits, Eltain can make a free action at-will attack v the half-orc, with a +2 attack bonus.
    Half damage on miss.

As it's on the half-orc's turn, I don't think he can take an opportunity attack

I'll wait to see what effect the Imm Int has before making my normal round actions.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-04-06 at 02:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

OOC: Ah, did not know that. My bad. In which case, then Shep will just make a basic attack on that action point then and forget the minor action attack. Would you rather I reroll completely, or just take 1 point off the charge attack and damage for the roll against the Half-Orc?
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-04-06 at 02:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Haberdashery View Post
    OOC: Ah, did not know that. My bad. In which case, then Shep will just make a basic attack on that action point then and forget the minor action attack. Would you rather I reroll completely, or just take 1 point off the charge attack and damage for the roll against the Half-Orc?
    You can use your existing roll, if you'd like. The boards give weird flags if you remove roll data, so just use strikethrough to hide all of the stuff that doesn't matter any more. (Strikethrough looks like this and uses {S}{/S} tags, but with [] instead of {})

7. - Top - End - #247

OOC: Gotcha, thanks.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Oh, no you don't!"
    Aramil thrusts his sword downward as the warrior runs off. Then he disappears as the warrior lifts his sword.
    "You're not getting away from me." Aramil reappears behind the warrior and continues his barrage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do not ignore a Defender's mark, for it hurts you and he will destroy you for your insolence.

OA: Attack vs AC - (1d20+10)[26]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[13]

Immediate Reaction: Aegis of Assault: Teleport to flank, attack.
    Attack vs AC - (1d20+11)[31]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[12]

Turn: Booming Blade.
    EDIT: We probably dropped the half-orc. If so, use Dimensional Warp to swap places with Pavick, and use Booming Blade on the remaining Warrior.
    Attack vs AC - (1d20+11)[12]
    Damage - (1d8+5)[8]
    If the warrior moves, he eats (1d6+2)[7] thunder damage.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-04-06 at 03:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling for the granted attack, using Virtuous Strike because I can, waiting for results of stuff before I do my normal actions:

(1d20+11)[26]
    (1d8+5)[13]
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM POST

OOC: Hmm...ok, this round is going to be a bit weird, because it more or less will take place at the end of the previous round, but before the next round starts:

As the half-orc moves away from the Eladrin, Aramil is able to make another quick strike, cutting into the Half-Orc's arm. As the half-orc runs past Lucan, the archer's arrow sinks deep into his side, sending a stream of blood onto the ground below the half-orc, who barely has time to re-act before feeling Eltain's blade sink into his stomache. His momentum still carries him forward, and he brings his axe down onto the half-eladrin, only to give another yell of pain as he finds the Swordmage behind him. He gives one last yell of rage as he swings his axe around him, before falling on the ground with a crash. (6 damage to Lucan, Eltain, and Aramil)

Immidiate Reaction as he drops:
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack vs. Eltain's AC: (1d20+8)[19]
    Attack vs. Aramil's AC: (1d20+8)[23]
    Attack vs. Lucan's AC: (1d20+8)[24]

Damage: (1d12+5)[6]

OOC:
    So, in this round, we still need Lucan, Pavrick, and Eltain's actions now that the Half-Orc Warrior is dead. Eltain still takes the damage that was rolled by the half-orc last round + 6 more from this intermediate round. Aramil and Pavrick switch places on Aramil's action, so Pavrick is now at (I8)
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-07 at 09:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

HP 24/36 AC 18 Fort 14 Ref 14 Will 17

When the half-orc falls, Lucan winces as his dying flails hit him. He leaves the melee fighting to the two warriors and turns his attention to the remaining thugs. He quickly makes his way east and, once he has a clear shot, fires on the one on the roof.

Spoiler
    Show

Move
    Move to K7

Standard
    Jinx shot v thug in N11
    Attack v AC - (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage - (1d10+5)[6]
    If hit, the thug falls prone the next time he misses with an attack before the end of Lucan's next turn. Except that he's a minion, so I don't expect it'll come up.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-04-07 at 12:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

OOC: Sorry, I'm really messing things up this round. Shep is actually going to drop the Half-Orc Caster with his first attack, so you don't need to use your action point.

DSCrankshaw - feel free to edit your previous post to change your movement and/or re-direct your attack towards someone else.

Sorry for the confusion

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard
    HP (14+7)/30
    AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 16, Will 17

Pavick glances over in time to see Lucan firing at one of the two lesser thugs that remained. "I've got the other one," he says as he takes a few steps closer to the archer. With a quick flourish of Pavick's orb, the air around the thug erupts in a whirlwind of tiny knives of force that begin slicing at the man.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: Shift to J7
    Standard: Use Cloud of Daggers on the other thug. Attack (1d20+6)[19] vs. Reflex. Force Damage (1d6+5)[9]. The cloud lasts until the end of my turn and anyone who starts their turn in the cloud or moves through the cloud takes damage equal to Pavick's Wis mod (2 damage).

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain cries out in agony as his opponent's weapons tear into him, staggering from their blows but still standing. He growls and attempts to retaliate at the human warrior for the blow against him, refusing to back down even in the face of potentially impending death. He swings his sword furiously, calling his god's name as he hacks into the man, then calls upon inner reserves of strength before darting back and away to take up a more defensive position.

Spoiler
    Show

Using my other encounter power:

(1d20+9)[28]
    (2d8+5)[14] and every enemy within three is subject to my divine sanction until the end of my next turn, which would be this guy if he's still alive.
    Minor: Majestic Word on myself, 13 HP and I slide myself one square to H8
    Move: Move to E5.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-04-07 at 10:54 PM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The Half-Orc caster is obviously surprised to see the Goliath reach her, and even more surprised as sword impales her. She drops into a heap on the ground with a gurgle.

The thug on the roof looks quickly between the two half-orcs that have just fallen. He furiously tries to think of his next course of action, and the last thing to go through his mind is Lucan's arrow.

The final thug's eyes widen, and he turns to run, only to find himself surrounded by a swarm of magical daggers that quickly tear him to shreds.

The Human, painfully aware of what's going on around him, slides back, and then turns and runs, but not before Eltain's swing takes a chunk out of his shoulder.

OOC:
    No map this time, but everyone's positions are:

Eltain (G8) (18 damage total)
    Shepherd (N1) (19 damage total - bloodied) [Dog - (L2)(4 damage)]
    Aramil (E7) (18 damage total)
    Pavrick (J7) (16 damage total - bloodied + 7 TempHP)
    Lucan (K7) (12 damage total)

Human Warrior (H15) (28 damage - bloodied)

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil strides after his opponent, his voice coldly amused as he strikes. "Why don't you stay and play a while longer?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charging if necessary, otherwise using Booming Blade.
    Attack vs AC - (1d20+9)[23] (+1 if charging, +2 if the warrior did actually use the run action)
    Damage on hit - (1d8+5)[7] (+2 if charging)
    If Booming Blade was used and hit, if the Warrior tries to move away from Aramil, he takes (1d6+2)[4] thunder damage.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The Eladrin quickly catches up with the running human, and with brutal efficiency chops him down.

The air is suddenly quiet. The entire battle lasted less than a minute, yet bodies lie scattered around the open square. The two farmers selling fruit slowly walk out of the tent, led by Lambert, his mouth hanging open. "Oh my gods..."

As he utters the words, the silence is broken, and the area seems to burst into chaos. You can hear some of the onlookers begin shouting for the guards.

18. - Top - End - #258

Shep shakes the Half-Orc off his blade the way a child shakes a dead lizard off the stick he was poking the thing with. He squints back towards his companion, and lopes over to them to get a better view at what they're staring at, and upon seeing the feeling human he lets out a rocky "Hmm."

Shep drops his sword and axe to the ground and pulls out a finely crafted longbow. He knocks two arrows and releases them, one after the other in quick succession.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: Moves to H7

Free Action: Drop weapons

Minor Action: Draw longbow

[Standard Action[/U]: Twin Strike against Human warrior.
    Attack #1: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage: (1d10)[3]

Attack #2 (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d10)[6]

Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-04-08 at 12:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259

OOC: Haha, whoops. Posted while I was posting. Ignore my post there, I'll scratch it out.

20. - Top - End - #260

Shep approaches the rest of his companions slowly, half-mindedly shaking off the blood dripping from his sword. He takes a moment to survey the scene in front of him, the beleaguered faces of his friends, the bloody corpses strewn across the market square, the gathering people... Shep scratches his chin.

"I have heard..." he begins slowly, "That it is customary to strip opponents of all worldly possessions upon slaughtering them and then sell them for profit, with which you then use for purposes other than giving them a proper burial. Is this the case, and if so, shall we do so?"
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-04-08 at 12:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil whips out a bloodstained cloth from a pocket, cleaning off his sword with one swift wipe before elegantly sheathing the blade. "That is the custom, after a fashion. However, to strip these corpses now would be rather improper, given that the city watch is likely only a few moments off."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

You guess that you have between 1 to 5 minutes until guards arrive.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-08 at 10:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan frowns. "That does make sense," Lucan says. "Just as you would strip and slaughter a kill after a hunt. But... there is not much time, and Pavrick cannot afford any rumors about him."

He hurries over to Patsy, and efficiently searches him for anything valuable.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Only spend a couple of rounds on it, at most.

Perception - (1d20+10)[21]

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

OOC: I'll extend that roll as a search of all the bodies. It will take about a minute total.

For the most part, the armor and weapons of all of the creatures is mundane. You do, however, find a heavy bag of coins in Patsy's belt (150gp); three small rubies in the pocket of the half-orc caster (streetwise to appraise the value), and curiously enough, a small silver statue of Gruumsh in the posession of the half-orc. The thugs, between them, had roughly 15 gp.

The human warrior, however, was wearing a pair of magical boots that slide off of him easily. The boots are well-made, with thick black leather. Gilded around the heel of the boot is a golden image of what appears to be a greased pig. Upon inspection, either Pavrick or Aramil (or Lucan, most likely) can determine that they are "Boots of Free Movement." In addition, his money pouch contained roughly 25 gp.

Item Description:
    Spoiler
    Show

Boots of Free Movement
    Level 6
    Item Slot: Feet

Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to saving throws against effects that apply the slowed, immobilized, or restrained condition.

Power (Encounter): Minor Action. Make a saving throw against a slow, immobilize, or restrain effect that a save can end.

Streetwise DC 13 - item appraisal
    Spoiler
    Show
    You'd guess the rubies are worth ~110gp total, the statue worth about 40gp

The total value of everything is about 340

Perception DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear the clanging armor of the city guards headed your way in one of the nearby streets. You'd guess you have less than a minute
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-08 at 10:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil began meditating while the others fiddled around with the corpses, hoping to get his strength back up before the guards arrived, in case they were paid off by the enemy or otherwise decided to react violently to the scene.

"I believe it is too late for that now. There are witnesses to this scene, and gossip travels as fast as the bird flies."

(I believe our gnomish friend's name is Pavick, without the r... that's how dariathalon spells it)

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

"You just intend to wait for them?" Lucan asked. "I don't think that would be a good idea. Aside from Pavick, there's also Lambert. If he's taken by the guard, I doubt he'll be let go easily."

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    (I believe our gnomish friend's name is Pavick, without the r... that's how dariathalon spells it)
    OOC: Huh, I believe you're right. I was going by how it was spelled in the character listings.

Anyway, as most people seemed to flee the conflict, I'm not sure any of them got a good look at the smallest member of our group. But if he sticks around for the guards, he'll definitely be identified.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The power of justice is on our side. They threatened us with deadly force, and so we reciprocated their threat in kind. Besides, the guards will be on the lookout for us. Best we speak with them now rather than later."

28. - Top - End - #268

The power of justice? A mental image begins to paint itself in Shepherd's head.

On the windswept peaks of a stormy mountain, a gray crag of flat smooth stone opens itself to the sky. Above, the sky flashes with brilliant crackles of snaking lightning, illuminating the underbellies of the heavy dark purple storm clouds like luminescent veins. Atop this crag, there perches a goat. A magnificent goat. With proud obsidian hooves he staunchly balances on the rock, head held upwards towards the sky. His shaggy hair glints in the dim light, the color of brilliant white gold. Atop its head there are two golden horns, gilded with silvery etching; they curl perfectly beside his ears. And there he stands, a beacon of pride and proper conduct, the lofty look on his elongated face displays unimaginable dignity, poise, and grace. The lightning crashes, the thunder booms, and the goat holds himself prouder still, tall and erect, the undisputed king of this turbulent mountain top.

Shep smiles to himself and nods. Yes, this is exactly how it is.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick glances around after the combat. His face twitches nervously upon hearing the calls for guards. "Might not be a good idea for me to be spotted in the company of the guard. I'm sure you can talk your way out of this, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to talk my way out of it with my business associates. I could already be in enough trouble if there were others from their organization in the area. I'll catch up with you guys later," Pavick says. He dashes off toward the winery tent and seeks out the first good hiding place he can find.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth (1d20+8)[24]

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Lambert hesitates between following the gnome, or staying with the others. He'd clearly prefer to run after Pavick, but he looks to Lucan and the Paladin. "Er...what should I do?"