New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics V: Everyone Is On Fire. Some Moreso Than Others.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    any model on a warbike adds 1 to his toughness (though not for determining instant death), modifies his troop type to Bike, gains a 4+ armor save and the.....

for a strait up quote of the rule on page 46 of the codex
    So it does. Passing strange, that. Seems like I'm just making mistakes left and right today. I had thought they only got the Cover Save from the bikes, but apparently Nobs bikers don't get that.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics V: Everyone Is On Fire. Some Moreso Than Others.

Like I said earlier, Nob Bikers get 4+ armor saves, 4+ cover saves, and if I add a Mad Dok and buy Cybork bodies, 5+ invul saves.

But dangit if they aren't costly! It costs more points for 3 Nob Bikers than it does for 20 'Ard Boyz!

Oh, and my SM buddy is a bit iffy about me converting that Panther tank. He's not too fond of the Looted Wagon rules to begin with, and he worries that the tank conversion might be a bit unfair. Should I be nice and just drop the idea, and focus on building Killa Kans? Or should I prove him wrong and show him how awesome my conversion skills are?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    So it does. Passing strange, that. Seems like I'm just making mistakes left and right today. I had thought they only got the Cover Save from the bikes, but apparently Nobs bikers don't get that.
    they get the cover save (its the part I left out in the quote)

as for the thatguy,

during the second turn you did not have an option who to assault you would have to have assaulted the landspeeder cus you threw the demo charge at it

As for your list I think you should have equiped one vet squad as a heavy support squad (with missle launcher, sniper rifles and camo to hide in the trees and hit vital units and take out light armor)
    the other as a close assault squad (melta guns, or plasma your choice) and put them in a chimera (provides a nice means of blocking LoS and medium strength fire) which would move in to apply pressure.
    dropped one Armour sentinel to pay for the chimera and the extra special weapons

this would have given you a unit to engage the scouts in the tree line as well as a unit that could engage them from range The chimera (once it dropped the vets) could have also contested the objective

just my .02
    Check out my horrible homebrews

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Oh, and my SM buddy is a bit iffy about me converting that Panther tank. He's not too fond of the Looted Wagon rules to begin with, and he worries that the tank conversion might be a bit unfair. Should I be nice and just drop the idea, and focus on building Killa Kans? Or should I prove him wrong and show him how awesome my conversion skills are?
    Are you saying that he's whining about how a Looted Wagon is too powerful? Looted Wagons are fine. Do it for the model conversion, if nothing else.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

He probably also realizes that he's got no anti-armor weapons on his marines, besides a plasma gun or two, since I'm usually going Sea of Green on him. A Looted Wagon, no matter how weak, would still be a problem for him. Especially when flanked by a trio of Kans and a flight of Dethkoptas.

His only armor is a Dreadnaught, which has a multi-melta he's been considering clipping off to replace with an Assault Cannon. I'm not sure how effective it is against vehicles, but I don't doubt he'd regret the switch if he's already done it and I decide to go Mekanized Infantree on him.

Also, I noticed the Warbikers kit only comes with 1 Nob torso. Sooo... How do I make Biker Nobz if I've only got the torso for 1? Maybe he'd let such a small detail slide since I'm cranking out so many points for it, but still...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Another conversion question - would it be possible to green stuff a surgical mask and smock onto a Nob Biker and count him as a Mad Dok? It seems easier than buying a (costly) Mad Dok, bisecting him, and grafting his torso onto a bike...
    I'm certainly intending to GS a lab coat onto one of my Bikerz for a Painboy, and make an 'urty Syringe from styrene. Ought to be perfectly fine.

Like I said earlier, Nob Bikers get 4+ armor saves, 4+ cover saves, and if I add a Mad Dok and buy Cybork bodies, 5+ invul saves.
    Do not forget the 4+ Feel no Pain from the Painboy.

Dude. Read the codex.

"Warbike: Any model mounted on a Warbike adds 1 to his Toughness (though not for determining Instant Death), modifies his troop type to Bike, gains a 4+ armour save and the Exhaust Cloud special rule."

"Exhaust Cloud: Warbikers produce great clouds of smoky exhaust fumes, giving them a 4+ cover save."

Are you saying that he's whining about how a Looted Wagon is too powerful? Looted Wagons are fine. Do it for the model conversion, if nothing else.
    A S8 AP3 large blast absolutely annihilates Marines.
    All the more reason to take it.

Also, I noticed the Warbikers kit only comes with 1 Nob torso. Sooo... How do I make Biker Nobz if I've only got the torso for 1? Maybe he'd let such a small detail slide since I'm cranking out so many points for it, but still...
    Buy Bitz. There's like fifteen decent websites for it.
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2010-02-11 at 08:09 PM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

He probably also realizes that he's got no anti-armor weapons on his marines, besides a plasma gun or two, since I'm usually going Sea of Green on him.
    Then maybe he should stop tailoring his list

Seriously, Looted Wagons aren't even that great. And unless you convert a model with some sort of ridiculously placed weapon mounts or LOS blocking additional appendages, I don't see much argument for the model being a problem. Besides, plasma guns and an assault cannon shouldn't have much trouble taking out a low AV open-topped vehicle.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

t

as for the thatguy,

during the second turn you did not have an option who to assault you would have to have assaulted the landspeeder cus you threw the demo charge at it

As for your list I think you should have equiped one vet squad as a heavy support squad (with missle launcher, sniper rifles and camo to hide in the trees and hit vital units and take out light armor)
    the other as a close assault squad (melta guns, or plasma your choice) and put them in a chimera (provides a nice means of blocking LoS and medium strength fire) which would move in to apply pressure.
    dropped one Armour sentinel to pay for the chimera and the extra special weapons

this would have given you a unit to engage the scouts in the tree line as well as a unit that could engage them from range The chimera (once it dropped the vets) could have also contested the objective

just my .02
    Good catch. I guess the decision was whether to throw the demo charge at the Land speeder or at the scouts.

A chimera would have been great, if of course I had a chimera. It'll definitely figure into future investments.
    Pwn 4 teh pwn god! N00bs 4 teh n00b thr1!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    And it is much better. Save for the fact that your pick 'n' mixing your squads. It might seem like a nice idea. But, it isn't. You should have as many Storm Bolters and Assault Cannons as you can.
    Hmm. More storm bolters, less melee. Got it. One more question, would it be a bad idea to swap the assault cannon on the assault squad with the cyclone in the other squad so that the serg can have lightning claws?

Also, I just realized that the vindicator has 4th edition smoke launchers . Glances only rule.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyoverther View Post
    Good catch. I guess the decision was whether to throw the demo charge at the Land speeder or at the scouts.

A chimera would have been great, if of course I had a chimera. It'll definitely figure into future investments.
    yes I would suggest chimeras or Valkyries are must for vet squads because they should be equipped as fast mobile enforcers bringing their special weapons to bear because they have access to so many. Your platoons should be the foot sloggers who hold objectives
    Check out my horrible homebrews

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Army Blog is now between Eldar and Tyranids.
    Yes. I changed my mind about Eldar.

Daemons get a bad rap due to their randomness (which in all truth is giant disadvantage) however they can be very good if put together correctly.
    Which still means nothing when Math-Hammer goes wonky - and it does.

it would be nice to see if we as a board (with you at the head of the army) could make them viable with some strategy and mathhammer (and a lot of luck)
    Math-Hammer (Laws Guidelines of Probability) and Luck are the same thing.

Before the first turn, divide your army in half. Half your army gets to be dropped on the first turn, and the other half gets the Reserves rule. You do not get to pick which half drops on the first turn.

Basically, all you can do is double up on squads. That way, no matter which half comes down, you get what you want. This gets really boring. Especially as how Daemons are meant to have lots of different units. Your army eventually looks cookie-cut.

Then the rest of your army comes trickles in via Reserves. Nothing will come down when you want it to. And nothing in the entire army gives bonuses to Reserve rolls either. You get what the dice let you have. Which is usually...Less...

Then, the Deep Strike rules in general. Your melee units can't shoot. At all. Means you have to deploy them in cover the first turn they come down. Otherwise enjoy your Plasma Sandvich. Have fun scattering into terrain, or off the table.

Unless you've got Icons. But, before that happens, you actually have to Deep Strike in the unit with the Icon. Which doesn't always work out so well. And, because the dice do hate you, the units that came down this turn don't work so well next to the unit already on the board with Icon.

No matter how good your list is on paper. Daemonic Assault and Deep Strike work via Math-Hammer. And your tactics will rarely work. Therefore, daemons are effectively unmasterable. Unless you master the laws of physics and demand that the Universe changes how dice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Daemons are a difficult army to play and one you should only play for novelty or masochism. Or because you are a fan of daemons. Chance can all too readily kick you in the teeth to an even greater extent than any other army.
    ...I may have to quote this for The Guide. Followed by a 1-Star.

...And Winterwind wants me to play Chaos Daemons. What did I do deserve your hatred?

Originally posted by crazedloon
    as far as the models themselves
    *HQ Summary*
    So...Your advice is to take three special characters as my HQ?

Flamers, in my opinion the best choice for your elites. They do not care about your AV, and can kill any unit type (even tanks). They are fast with the best invulnerable of any of the elite choices which makes them able to survive (due to being able to take advantage of terrain for LoS and when shot at more likely to make the save).
    Flamers, joined by a Herald of Tzeentch on Disc/Chariot, make a mess of people's armies. Sadly, this is pretty much the best unit in the Codex.

if you know the sort of missions or opponents you will be playing it helps a lot
    Same can be said of any army. But, the fact is that you don't (or shouldn't) know what your opponent is bringing. Given that I intend to take my 'blog-army' to a fairly large tournament, I kind of need it to be somewhat effective.
    (Well, I don't need it to be effective...But, it'd be nice...)

Seekers have a rediculous number of attack with rending and as such can take down heavily armored opponents. They also are cav so they can move far easier from cover to cover. Only downside is the low S/T
    The other downside is that they're nearly impossible to get. As they're not even available through Mail Order anymore. And they haven't been for like, a year.

Screamers are the fastest, have the best save and make awesome tank hunters (leaving the rest of your big hitters to worry about troops)
    Yeah, in the (few) Tournament Lists that I've seen, two units are nearly always taken; Flamers and Screamers.

And if they're not in the list; I always have to ask them "Dude, where's your Flamers/Screamers?"
    The reason that they don't take them usually boils down to a fluff thing. Which is dumb. Gimping yourself for fluff makes no sense. When you could just as easily make fluff as to why you only take the good units.

...Welcome to Stormwind (fallacy)...

The one half has heavy hitters who can sit back and hold a position until the other half DS while the other half has fast forces which can clear and scatter a good deal of the enemy before the other half DS with units who can finish the job all while being resilient due to good saves. Each half also have the screamers to deal with tanks which will cause problems.
    The second half of the army does not really work well in the first few turns. This 'tactic' is useless if the dice don't come up right. As I said, the only - only - way to get what you want, is have a symmetrical army.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzickas View Post
    Scouts (x10) - 140pts
    Combat Blades
    drop pod - 35pt
    First, I know everyone has already said that Drop Pods are useless for Scouts, since they can Infiltrate and Scout on the first turn anyway and get that first turn Assault if they're lucky. Which they can't do after Deep Striking from a Drop Pod.

Second; Scouts can't take Drop Pods in the first place. It's illegal to have. Therefore you have to get rid of it anyway. ...Yes. It's a good thing.

Third; In low point games, Sniper Rifles are the best. Things. Ever. In large-point games, Sniper Rifles are the best. Things. Ever. Basically...What I'm saying is...Take Rifles. Or Bolters.

In my time of gaming with my Scouts and Bikes (and Assault Marines); Assault Scouts have fared the worst.

Something caught my eye earlier, though. Rokkit Launchas aren't Blast weapons, according to the codex.
    Rokkit Launchas are not Blast Weapons. Missile Launchers, can be. Rokkits only have the one firing mode. If Rokkits could switch to Blast, there'd be no reason to take Big Shootas ever.

I'm still wondering if you can convert a Biker Nob into a Mad Dok, as well as what 'Eavy Armor does to a Nob Biker.
    You can.
    And I've confirmed (by GW Staff) that 'Eavy Armour + Bike does nothing. Don't do it. Save points.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-02-12 at 02:01 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thanks Cheesegear.

And my SM friend finally conceeded that the Panther as a Looted Wagon was okay. He also said that since I'm paying so many points for them, I could run the Bikers as Nob Bikers even if they don't have the right sized torsos.

So, Cheesegear, its either Eldar or Tyranids?

I vote Tyranids. You keep mentioning an All-Warrior Army. I want to see if you can pull it off.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, Cheesegear, its either Eldar or Tyranids?
    It's anything. I've got until March 1st February 28th to decide. I've always wanted to make a Black Templars army. But, 'Marines is Marines' and I'd like to stay away from them for now.

Sisters are out. Got 'em.

I could do Orks...Y'Know? Show you how it's done.
    ...But, I can guarantee as an AoBR (cheap-to-start) army, these guys will be already taken.

I was looking at Chaos Daemons. I'd like to do an army that relies on tactics and many pretty units as much as CDs do, without being gimped like CDs. Enter stage left; Eldar. Except lots of people play Eldar, and there's really no 'unique' way to play Eldar except to play a lot of Jetbikes (Saim-Hann). And fielding an Alaitoc army would be fun.

There's a really cool Eldar army on page 226-7 of the BBB combining Eldar and Woof Elf parts which I'd like to do for myself at some point. There's also some cool conversions done with Wood Elf and Imperial Guard parts for those of you who are looking to do a Sniper-Guard army.
    Also, how are people's experiences with/against Storm Guardians?

You guys don't want me to field an Eldar Jetbike army do you? ...No...DO YOU!?

Grey Knights would be very pretty for you guys. But, tiresome and boring for me. And, sorry, I don't love you guys that much.

Chaos Marines...Is Marines. I have my 3.5ed Word Bearers (which I have never used post-4th). But, it'd be nice to cross over into Night Lords and use some of the really cool conversion packs (yes, I use Mail Order, a lot).

Necrons I'd like to do too...One day...

Okay guys, final descisions and I'm counting votes now. I'll put a table or something in my sig.

Tyranid Warrior-Army
    Alaitoc Eldar (woefully ripping from the BBB pg 226-227. Apologies to those with the AoBR book)
    Saim-Hann Eldar. JETBIKES FOR THE BIKER THRONE!
    Tau Devilfish Army
    Night Lords Chaos Space Marines

I vote Tyranids. You keep mentioning an All-Warrior Army. I want to see if you can pull it off.
    Warrior-Genus army.

HQ; Warrior Alpha (and/or Parasite of Mortrex)
    Elites; Lictors/Deathleaper*, Zoanthopes and Hive Guard (I need the anti-Tank), and are you really going to tell me an Elite Swarm like this isn't going to have Hive Guard?
    Troops; All Warriors. All the time. Maybe a unit or two of Genestealers. Because...Infiltrating Troops...Yeah.
    Fast Attack; Raveners and Shrikes. A unit of Spore Mines...'Cause.
    Heavy Support; ???

*If Pheramone Trail works the way I think it does; Mawlocs are awesome. Also, I just want to make Deathleaper getting the drop on Sly Marbo.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-02-12 at 03:49 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

So its between those four, huh? You don't want to give Necrons a try?

Hm. This is a toughie. Which one would you feel most comfortable with, and which one to you know the most about?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There's no Warrior Alpha; perhaps you mean Tyranid Prime? And yeah, looks like Pheromone Trail should work with Mawlocs.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2010-02-12 at 03:34 AM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So its between those four, huh? You don't want to give Necrons a try?
    Not really. It has the same problem as Grey Knights. All the units are pretty much exactly the same.

Ooops. I meant to put in Night Lords CSM. Edited.

Hm. This is a toughie. Which one would you feel most comfortable with, and which one to you know the most about?
    I know about them all except Tau. This'd be a learning experience as this is the perfect opportunity to start an army I've never played before. Chaos Marines I've recently (in the last month or so) got the Codex, but am yet to play a game with my old Word Bearers (which suck now).

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    There's no Warrior Alpha; perhaps you mean Tyranid Prime?
    That is what I mean. Too much DoW II for me.
    To be fair, perhaps you can tell me what the Tyranid Prime's special ability is called?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-02-12 at 03:51 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alpha...Warrior...shaddap.
    ithilanor on Steam.

18. - Top - End - #78

SamuraiGuy

C'mon cheese, Saim-Hann Eldar, you know you want to. Jetbikes. They're bikes, that even after making their normal 12" move can move 6" in the assault phase.

You can even mount a farseer on a bike to follow a unit inside a wave-serpent to keep them fortune'd before having them hit enemy units with doooom!
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Before the first turn, divide your army in half. Half your army gets to be dropped on the first turn, and the other half gets the Reserves rule. You do not get to pick which half drops on the first turn.
    Well, you do get to pick which half comes down first with twice the probability than the other. That's... something, right?

...And Winterwind wants me to play Chaos Daemons. What did I do deserve your hatred?
    Awww, c'mon, that's not fair!
    I very explicitly stated that my vote goes to them only if you would enjoy collecting and playing them!

Tyranid Warrior-Army
    Alaitoc Eldar (woefully ripping from the BBB pg 226-227. Apologies to those with the AoBR book)
    Tau Devilfish Army
    Night Lords Chaos Space Marines
    Hmmm... amongst these, I think I'll vote for Alaitoc Eldar. Mostly, because they are what I have been thinking about collecting myself, should I ever tire of CSM, and I'd gladly see them in action. Also, Pathfinders are awesome and, as you said yourself, Sniper Rifles are the Best Thing Ever. (and Saim-Hann, c'mon, do you really want to reproduce the same army list you already use with your Space Marines with every single other codex out there? )

Oh, and speaking of that 'Alpha Warrior', interestingly that's exactly what the Tyranid Prime is called in the German codex...
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-02-12 at 05:02 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Saim-Hann, c'mon, do you really want to reproduce the same army list [...] with every single other codex out there?
    ...Yyyeees?

Oh, and speaking of that 'Alpha Warrior', interestingly that's exactly what the Tyranid Prime is called in the German codex...
    I prefer Alpha Warrior. It's what it's called in DoW II. Also 'Tyranid Prime' doesn't really mean anything. If I would guess; I'd say a Tyranid Prime was a Hive Tyrant. Doesn't that make sense to you?

Alpha Warrior means Hardcore Warrior. And actually tells me what it is. Even more annoying is that the 'Tyranid Prime' has a special ability called 'Alpha Warrior'. Meh. I prefer to call it Alpha Warrior. Tyranid Prime sounds dumb.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

...Yyyeees?
    Oh, you're incorrigible.

Consider this a compliment. ;)

I prefer Alpha Warrior. It's what it's called in DoW II. Also 'Tyranid Prime' doesn't really mean anything. If I would guess; I'd say a Tyranid Prime was a Hive Tyrant. Doesn't that make sense to you?
    Or a Norn Queen. Some sort of progenitor, at any rate.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #82

SamuraiGuy

Also Re: Alaitoc Craftworld Army

Without the special rules from the last codex (Ranger Disruption Table, superb infriltraitors, world weary etc), all you have is a standard eldar army where to take rangers and pathfinders as your troops choices, without the added benefit of being able to take 2 units of rangers that dont count towards your maximum troops choice.

However you do get some cool conversions in where you model wraithlords into sniper poses so they match your so-called stealthy army.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

23. - Top - End - #83

Daemons come with a few crippling flaws out of their basic design that makes them extremely uncompetitive.

1) They scatter, hard. Daemons (As the denizens of the Warp they are) should only scatter 1d2 or 1d3.

2) Daemons cannot assault as they deepstrike. This is crippling, as it effectively means that half your army is not in the battle for... most of the game.

3) They deepstrike just like everyone else. They need a boost, perhaps a start of +1 on the rolls.

4) KoS, Daemonettes and Fiends are the only models with Fleet. Bloodthirsters and Hounds need this to be effective.

That being said, I enjoy the randomness. Once played a game where I made every single reserves roll on the first turn I rolled. They're not competitive, and I lose a lot more games than I win, but I never leave the table wishing I hadn't brought my Chaos Daemons.

Also note, the inanity of their deployment is most what makes the Chaos Daemons troops so 'ineffective'. The rest is their ridiculous point/Sv ratio that makes them so vulnerable to massed Dakka.

-Bloodthirsters do Okay if you treat them like Burna Boyz without the Template option (Here's where Fleet would be nice).

-Daemonettes are okay for horde-shredding and are slightly better than MEqs if they can get into CC with Guardsmen and Fire Warriors.

-I've always found Plaguebearers to be horribly weak versions of Plague Marines with almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever. They dye slightly slower to Guard, but beyond that, are less than half as effective once they get into CC.

-Soul Grinders are fun, but I like taking Daemon Princes at low points.

24. - Top - End - #84

Warrior-Genus army.

HQ; Warrior Alpha (and/or Parasite of Mortrex)
    Elites; Lictors/Deathleaper*, Zoanthopes and Hive Guard (I need the anti-Tank), and are you really going to tell me an Elite Swarm like this isn't going to have Hive Guard?
    Troops; All Warriors. All the time. Maybe a unit or two of Genestealers. Because...Infiltrating Troops...Yeah.
    Fast Attack; Raveners and Shrikes. A unit of Spore Mines...'Cause.
    Heavy Support; ???

*If Pheramone Trail works the way I think it does; Mawlocs are awesome. Also, I just want to make Deathleaper getting the drop on Sly Marbo.
    Mawlocs : Pretty cool.

You know what turned out about 100x better? Doom of Malankai. I killed (almost) an entire Guard army (even one of the Lemas Russ!) with one 90 point model. ...It is sort of his fault for rolling terribly, but the thing is under pointed by at least thrice.

10 Wounds, Strength 10 in Assault, Strength 10 AP 2 Large Blast, 3+ Invuln. And it's effect of causing Moral Tests to gain more wounds happens in your, and your enemies shooting phases. Drop it in the middle of an army of infantry, and watch them fall apart.

(Watch out for Instant Death weapons. It's only T4. I got lucky and made all but one save from the entire armies' weapons. ...and that was a lasgun. )
    Last edited by EleventhHour; 2010-02-12 at 07:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Mawlocs are pretty cool, but they are competing for the slot with Trygons (right? I'm away from my codex right now)... which I personally find are one of the most awesome looking models ever and which seem even better to me. Especially the Alpha Trygon (or is it Trygon Prime in English?), which is a rather cheap update, too, for what it does.

Damn, just looking at Trygons makes me want to collect a Tyranid... no! Bad! Bad Winter! Bad!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-02-12 at 07:39 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #86

Daemons come with a few crippling flaws out of their basic design that makes them extremely uncompetitive.

1) They scatter, hard. Daemons (As the denizens of the Warp they are) should only scatter 1d2 or 1d3.
    Actualy, fluff wise, the main reason why demons haven't overrun the material plane it's that they can't easily jump in here whitout some mortal giving them an hand to open a stable portal, or a chaos icon, or let himself be possessed. So there's no fluff reason why they should have a scatter advantage. They have as much hard time as geting in/out of the warp as everybody else. They just survive better inside the warp.

Just a minor nitpick.

And yes, the Doom of Malakai fully deserves it's name and will roll over pretty much anything for a pretty low price unless your oponent has some anti-inv save weapon, wich are pretty rare.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-02-12 at 07:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

new and saner 650 pts space marine list

Spoiler
    Show

hq:
    space marine chaplain w/jump pack 115pts

troops:
    5 scouts w/sniper rifles 75pts
    10 space marines, flamer, missile launcher, seargent w/powerfist 195pts
    razorback w/ extra armor 55pts

fast attack:
    10 assult marines seargent w/power weapon, melta bombs 210pts

also, does liturgies of battle work when using granades against vehicles?
    A viking who isn't intimidated!!

Dreaming of a wight apocalypse

"next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face!"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This. The (eight out of five) voices in my head and I all vote for this. The galaxy needs more bikes. MOAR BIEKZ!!

I had a really crazy thought. In order to inject a little variety into the Spamalot list found here, I could drop one of the 'Hounds, one of the Veteran squads, and a Veteran squad's Chimera for a couple teams of Storm Troopers. Then swap out the other 'Hound for a Valkyrie with dual multiple rocket pods for the Veterans to fly around in. This way I can get some variety in the force while keeping both my mobility and aggressiveness.

Also, it'll give me a reason to use some of the Storm Troopers I have chillin'.

-Archetype
    Signature currently undergoing renovations. Please stand by, and watch out for falling rocks and blast waves.

29. - Top - End - #89

Tyranid Warrior-Army
    My vote (again)!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

So. Last night I worked up an Ork list... 2000 pts, spent over half of that on one squad. Nobs lead by a Warboss, all on bikes, with a Painboy, lots of Power Klaw and twin-linked shoota action all around... I'm a horrible person, aren't I?

Legitimately, the list is... *short*. It packs a grand total of 62 units, one of which is a Battlewagon. Two HQs (I couldn't resist the Big Mek with his incredible awesome hilarious gun), two Troops, one Fast Attack, and one Heavy Support. For a 2k pts Ork army, it has WAY too few bodies, but... I'm totally okay with that. Mostly, I just want to use the Big Mek; everything else is there because it's dead killy. For the curious:

Spoiler
    Show

HQ:
    Warboss (Bike, Power Klaw, TL Shoota, Cybork Body, Attack Squig, I think some other stuff?)
    Big Mek (Power Klaw, Mek Tools, "The Awesome Gun")

Troops:
    Nobz x10 (okay, x9 and a Painboy. Bikes, Power Klaws, shootas (MAY be TL, can't remember), Cybork Bodies, Waaaagh! Banner, Grot Orderly (he rides b***h with the Painboy ))

'Ard Boy Shootas x30 (x29 Boyz, x1 Nob with a Power Klaw and Shoota, 26 Shootas, three Big Shootas, all 'Ard)

Elites:
    Lootas x15 (x12 with Deffguns, x3 Meks with Kustom Mega-Blasters)

Fast Attack:
    Dethkoptas x4 (all with TL Rokkit Launcha upgrades)

Heavy Support:
    Battlewagon (Red Paint, x2 Big Shoota, x2 Rokkit Launcha, Zzap Gun, Grot Riggers, 'Ard Kase... and pretty sure that's it)

Will it win anything? No, probably not. Will it be a larf? By Gork'n Mork YES.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!