New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: NarutoITP OOC IV: Exam Time! Shouldn't Hurt a Bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    ...Oopsy. I was thinking of something else.
    Like maybe Naruto and company?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    ...Oopsy. I was thinking of something else.
    Actually, in the wiki Yua is classified under both Team 1 and Team 7.

Schrodinger's Genin?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Like maybe Naruto and company?
    Actually my Kagekure game.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #484
    Halfling in the Playground

I had a character idea that I wanted to run by everyone before posting.

Basically, a character equivalent to, say, the three sages in terms of power and age. I was thinking a character whose role would be primarily not a combat one unless absolutely forced upon them. More of somebody that kicks around the village and generally makes well intended trouble, but is renowned enough that they can get away with it. AKA: more of a light hearted character whose high level of power is more of a comical aspect rather than a Rawr Kill All the Enemies Forever one. Because I find the idea of a really powerful person who manages to remain an ineffectual joke to be endlessly entertaining. He would be strong, but mostly uninterested in getting more involved than necessary. OCC; this means that unless specifically requested, he would not get involved in any fights or plots in which a high powered character would spoil the fun for everyone else.

Also, he is a cat. Just throwing that in there for anyone interested.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    Bleach Reborn characters:
    All of 'em

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rose View Post
    I had a character idea that I wanted to run by everyone before posting.

Basically, a character equivalent to, say, the three sages in terms of power and age. I was thinking a character whose role would be primarily not a combat one unless absolutely forced upon them. More of somebody that kicks around the village and generally makes well intended trouble, but is renowned enough that they can get away with it. AKA: more of a light hearted character whose high level of power is more of a comical aspect rather than a Rawr Kill All the Enemies Forever one. Because I find the idea of a really powerful person who manages to remain an ineffectual joke to be endlessly entertaining. He would be strong, but mostly uninterested in getting more involved than necessary. OCC; this means that unless specifically requested, he would not get involved in any fights or plots in which a high powered character would spoil the fun for everyone else.

Also, he is a cat. Just throwing that in there for anyone interested.
    You really come up with some great ideas

Hrm. It'd be especially interesting if all the big players in the setting (the 5 Kages, Shoku, 7 Swordsmen) consider your character to be something of a wild card, a potential wrench in the plans. Imagine the comedy: the most powerful factions in the world tremble in fear and tread lightly around a little cat.

I definitely approve, regardless of what the character does.

6. - Top - End - #486

Name: Nakamura Neko
    Classification: SS-class =O (there would be another S in there, but he... he killed it. He killed his own rank... <_< >_> )
    Height: ~14"
    Weight: ~12 lbs.
    Affiliation: Konohagakure (The World, baby! Specifically the Woman of the World)

Appearance: Neko is a gray tabby cat with an extra toe on each of his front paws. He has some evidence of fighting on his body, notably a notch missing from his right ear. Small scars mark his body, but most are hidden beneath his fur, however. Tied around his neck, most of the time, is a Konaha forehead guard.

Human: If he has a human form, it would definitely be a ruggedly manly man, oldish, but still good looking, with square jaw sporting unshaven, but not lazily so, stubble-beard. Very dark gray hair(almost black) run through with streaks of lighter gray hair, shortish, but long enough to be spiked. A predatory grin filled with sharp teeth and feline eyes looking for a good time or a good fight. He would, assuming he even has a human form, wear a dark gray vest over a stylish black shirt. Stylish but more importantly functional pants held up with a cloth belt and ninja shoes finish out this hypothetical outfit. Again, there is no way to tell if he can even make himself a human, as you would be hard pressed to find a living soul who could even say they have seen him in any form other than his natural cat one.

Personality: In a few words: aloof, perverted, laid-back, carefree, attention craved, the opposite of srs bsnss.

Bloodline: Blackpowder (combination of fire, earth, and lightning(Yes, three chakra types. He is just that awesome))

Abilities:

Ninjutsu: Neko possesses advanced skills in ninjutsu of all kinds.

Taijutsu: Seriously folks, you do not want to take this cat on in a fight.

Genjutsu: And don't ever look him in the eyes.

Chakra Control: Control befitting a Sage.

Weapon Skills: Claws, teeth, and anything he can get his paws on. It's all equally deadly.

Contract: Does he need one? I suppose he could summon more cats... No... That would be silly. Clearly he summons butterflies.

Notable Techniques:

Nine Lives Technique: Activating this ability grants Neko nine lives during combat. Dealing a fatal blow, or damage equaling a fatality, results in the lose of one life. The technique can last surprisingly long, but once all nine lives have been used up his chakra levels are completely depleted and it can take weeks to a month to recharge enough to use the technique again.

Cat-o-ninetails Technique: His tail splits into nine long tails, each charged with chakra, turning them into slashing weapons.

Black Powder Clones: Exactly what it sounds like. He creates clones of himself made of black powder. Like all clones, they are as skilled as he is in combat, but unlike normal clones, these explode violently when dealt damage.

Black Powder Storm: Neko summons a swirling storm of black powder that surround his foes before igniting and exploding in a massive fireball.

Butterfly Storm: Neko releases an absurd amount of chakra to summon a vast swarm of butterflies, numerous enough to block out the sun. They swarm his enemy, making it nearly impossible to see, frying those who use techniques that allow them to enhance their senses by sheer overload, and possibly kill them by means of suffocation. Also, it sets the scene in an epic manner. Swarms of butterflies. Epic.

Sage Mode: Neko can enter sage mode, though... He is a cat... So it is hard to tell when he does.

Background: Neko is a ninja of legend throughout much of the ninja world. Tales of his epic deeds and accomplishments are the stuff of books and movies. It has been many many years since he has been heard of, though, with his legend falling almost into the realm of myth, with some even questioning whether he even existed or not. It is not clear how he came to be a cat, or if he was always one, but there are those that say that he used to be a man of untold stature and looks. Some say he became a cat when he failed to enter sage mode and was transformed by the nature chakra. Others say that he was changed during a fight with an unknown enemy that threatened the world itself. Still others say that he was born a cat and simply refused to let that get in the way of his own greatness. The only thing that is known, however, is that he has dropped off the face of the earth and it is unlikely that he will ever be seen again.
    Let me know what you think. And yes, I understand that he is insanely overpowered. But that is kind of the point. Trust me, he would be played entirely facetiously and kept out of serious plots unless specifically requested to be there.
    Last edited by Purple Rose; 2010-03-01 at 03:04 AM.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    All of 'em

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Amusingly, I don't get the impression that Neko is beyond S-level judging from just his ninjutsu skills. Does he have any notable genjutsu? Also, "can use ninjutsu to make explosives" might not be quite enough for h4x level power since, well Deidara was capable of doing the exact same very easily and efficiently in the canon manga.

To be truly SS class, I think you'd need h4x powers on the level of Rinnegan (7 paths) or Mangekyo Sharingan (Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi, Susano-o, Izanagi). Explosives and chakra butterflies might not cut it. At the level of jutsu he seems to have now, Neko would be more of a high A class or S class, no more than Kage level.

8. - Top - End - #488

Thing is, power level isn't always described by techniques. Maybe saying that he could feasibly take on several kage level opponents at once and stand a good chance of winning without resorting to anything beyond taijutsu would convey the amounts of epic in there... Besides, it is a rough draft. I could come up with some game breaking ninjutsu if you wanted me to though.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    All of 'em

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Thing is, power level isn't always described by techniques.
    Of course, but with nothing else to go on (demonstrations of power, list of people he's defeated and how he did so), quality and nature of jutsu is the only real indicator we have here for power levels.

As you said, a description of his previous achievements will certainly help.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-03-01 at 03:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490

I had hoped the backstory covered that vaguely enough to let the reader fill in the blanks. Legend throughout the world, movies made from him, saved the entire planet before.

Thing is, I tend to prefer defining the nature of something rather than laying out the specifics when I RP. Set some guidelines to serve as just that when interacting with them. Guidelines. I find defining every specific example of what I am trying to convey about their past or motives to be tedious and generally unnecessary when stating the general nature of those things conveys the same idea. That, and when it comes to specifics, I prefer to reveal those things during the role playing rather than all at the beginning when first describing a character.

Not sure if that makes sense or not, but it means that when I come up with a concept I tend to describe it using vaguer terms that convey the intent behind it rather than going into details. :/ So in this case, I feel that saying he is a legendary ninja whom epic tales are based on should serve as a descriptor of how powerful he is. And besides, where he is intended not to be played straight, it hardly matters what specific examples of his greatness I come up with for his character sheet.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    All of 'em

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: NarutoITP OOC IV: Exam Time! Shouldn't Hurt a Bit!

Name: Nakamura Neko
    Classification: SS-class =O (there would be another S in there, but he... he killed it. He killed his own rank... <_< >_> )
    Height: ~14"
    Weight: ~12 lbs.
    Affiliation: Konohagakure (The World, baby! Specifically the Woman of the World)

Appearance: Neko is a gray tabby cat with an extra toe on each of his front paws. He has some evidence of fighting on his body, notably a notch missing from his right ear. Small scars mark his body, but most are hidden beneath his fur, however. Tied around his neck, most of the time, is a Konaha forehead guard.

Human: If he has a human form, it would definitely be a ruggedly manly man, oldish, but still good looking, with square jaw sporting unshaven, but not lazily so, stubble-beard. Very dark gray hair(almost black) run through with streaks of lighter gray hair, shortish, but long enough to be spiked. A predatory grin filled with sharp teeth and feline eyes looking for a good time or a good fight. He would, assuming he even has a human form, wear a dark gray vest over a stylish black shirt. Stylish but more importantly functional pants held up with a cloth belt and ninja shoes finish out this hypothetical outfit. Again, there is no way to tell if he can even make himself a human, as you would be hard pressed to find a living soul who could even say they have seen him in any form other than his natural cat one.

Personality: In a few words: aloof, perverted, laid-back, carefree, attention craved, the opposite of srs bsnss.

Bloodline: Blackpowder (combination of fire, earth, and lightning(Yes, three chakra types. He is just that awesome))

Abilities:

Ninjutsu: Neko possesses advanced skills in ninjutsu of all kinds.

Taijutsu: Seriously folks, you do not want to take this cat on in a fight.

Genjutsu: And don't ever look him in the eyes.

Chakra Control: Control befitting a Sage.

Weapon Skills: Claws, teeth, and anything he can get his paws on. It's all equally deadly.

Contract: Does he need one? I suppose he could summon more cats... No... That would be silly. Clearly he summons butterflies.

Notable Techniques:

Nine Lives Technique: Activating this ability grants Neko nine lives during combat. Dealing a fatal blow, or damage equaling a fatality, results in the lose of one life. The technique can last surprisingly long, but once all nine lives have been used up his chakra levels are completely depleted and it can take weeks to a month to recharge enough to use the technique again.

Cat-o-ninetails Technique: His tail splits into nine long tails, each charged with chakra, turning them into slashing weapons.

Black Powder Clones: Exactly what it sounds like. He creates clones of himself made of black powder. Like all clones, they are as skilled as he is in combat, but unlike normal clones, these explode violently when dealt damage.

Black Powder Storm: Neko summons a swirling storm of black powder that surround his foes before igniting and exploding in a massive fireball.

Butterfly Storm: Neko releases an absurd amount of chakra to summon a vast swarm of butterflies, numerous enough to block out the sun. They swarm his enemy, making it nearly impossible to see, frying those who use techniques that allow them to enhance their senses by sheer overload, and possibly kill them by means of suffocation. Also, it sets the scene in an epic manner. Swarms of butterflies. Epic.

Sage Mode: Neko can enter sage mode, though... He is a cat... So it is hard to tell when he does.

Background: Neko is a ninja of legend throughout much of the ninja world. Tales of his epic deeds and accomplishments are the stuff of books and movies. It has been many many years since he has been heard of, though, with his legend falling almost into the realm of myth, with some even questioning whether he even existed or not. It is not clear how he came to be a cat, or if he was always one, but there are those that say that he used to be a man of untold stature and looks. Some say he became a cat when he failed to enter sage mode and was transformed by the nature chakra. Others say that he was changed during a fight with an unknown enemy that threatened the world itself. Still others say that he was born a cat and simply refused to let that get in the way of his own greatness. The only thing that is known, however, is that he has dropped off the face of the earth and it is unlikely that he will ever be seen again.
    Let me know what you think. And yes, I understand that he is insanely overpowered. But that is kind of the point. Trust me, he would be played entirely facetiously and kept out of serious plots unless specifically requested to be there.
    Marvellous character
    I give it the KEVEAK'S SEAL OF APRROVAL, guaranteed not to spontaneously turn into a pudding bomb... I hope

It started a train of thoughts that led me to an idea for my upcoming character, but I'm not sure it would work so I'll ask those of you wiser than me on the matters of the universe of Narutoitp:

Could there theoretically exist a sentient ninja puppet?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I...dunno. I mean, yeah, cat that can kick your butt is kind of funny, but...

I'm not sure on this one. Yes, I know, I'm raining on a parade, but...dang.

Also, it was decided pretty unanimously that "Sage Mode", as seen used by Jiraiya and Naruto, is only available for used by toad summoners, if they ever advance that far.

Since the Super-Cat summons butterflies....
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    It started a train of thoughts that led me to an idea for my upcoming character, but I'm not sure it would work so I'll ask those of you wiser than me on the matters of the universe of Narutoitp:

Could there theoretically exist a sentient ninja puppet?
    I...not really. I mean, even the human puppets have their brains removed, as I recall. And the wooden ones are often hollow shells. The closest is probably 13_CBS's character, Erayue, who's made of living metal.

But a sentient ninja puppet? I don't really see how.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Really high tech?

---

On the cat character. I know it is for fun and all, but I fear it might be treading on thin ice, the (extremely) high power and all. My greatest fear (and most likely also that of everyone else) is that such a thing could spark an arms race.

And no one wants an arms race.

No, you really don't want an arms race.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Really high tech?
    Robots in Naruto is swinging too far sci-fi, in my opinion.

---

On the cat character. I know it is for fun and all, but I fear it might be treading on thin ice, the (extremely) high power and all. My greatest fear (and most likely also that of everyone else) is that such a thing could spark an arms race.

And no one wants an arms race.

No, you really don't want an arms race.
    This is a big part of my own hesitation on the subject. An arms race could get nasty, since we've got a couple demon containers, lots of summoners with, most likely, untapped potential via their summons, and enough seal users we could see scary things invented.
    A lot of that may come into play, but I'd hope it does so at a more natural pace.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a roleplay about warring ninja. Some arms race is to be expected, but you are right that we don't want it to get out of hand. Joke characters are a problem in this, because someone might make the mistake of taking them seriously.

As for a living puppet... well, it's known that living people can be controlled like puppets. In original Naruto canon there are two examples of people exchanging organic bodyparts for mechanical ones, and within this roleplay we have at least two persons who could concievably make a part-human puppet, with a third candidate lying dead somewhere.

So the idea of a sentient puppet is not impossible, as long as it's part human. A wholly mechanical is probably off-limits - I originally wanted Kazuma to have electrically-run puppet, but dropped the idea because it would have caused too many odd questions.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    This is a roleplay about warring ninja. Some arms race is to be expected, but you are right that we don't want it to get out of hand. Joke characters are a problem in this, because someone might make the mistake of taking them seriously.

As for a living puppet... well, it's known that living people can be controlled like puppets. In original Naruto canon there are two examples of people exchanging organic bodyparts for mechanical ones, and within this roleplay we have at least two persons who could concievably make a part-human puppet, with a third candidate lying dead somewhere.

So the idea of a sentient puppet is not impossible, as long as it's part human. A wholly mechanical is probably off-limits - I originally wanted Kazuma to have electrically-run puppet, but dropped the idea because it would have caused too many odd questions.
    The thing is, the process to make a puppet with human parts is totally fatal. It involves, among other things, taking out all the organs.

I guess part of my question is:why does this character need to be a "living puppet"?

It feels like it's getting too close to cyborgs and androids for my taste.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

I had hoped the backstory covered that vaguely enough to let the reader fill in the blanks. Legend throughout the world, movies made from him, saved the entire planet before.
    Fair enough. But FYI, I tend to naturally mistrust legends and myths as sources of legitmate information.

Thing is, I tend to prefer defining the nature of something rather than laying out the specifics when I RP. Set some guidelines to serve as just that when interacting with them. Guidelines. I find defining every specific example of what I am trying to convey about their past or motives to be tedious and generally unnecessary when stating the general nature of those things conveys the same idea. That, and when it comes to specifics, I prefer to reveal those things during the role playing rather than all at the beginning when first describing a character.

Understandable. However, you don't need to necessarily show your entire hand at the beginning, so to speak, in order to indicate a character's previous accomplishments. A throw away line about how Neko once defeated a Shoku-like organization by himself will suffice, for example.

Not sure if that makes sense or not, but it means that when I come up with a concept I tend to describe it using vaguer terms that convey the intent behind it rather than going into details. :/ So in this case, I feel that saying he is a legendary ninja whom epic tales are based on should serve as a descriptor of how powerful he is. And besides, where he is intended not to be played straight, it hardly matters what specific examples of his greatness I come up with for his character sheet.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I...dunno. I mean, yeah, cat that can kick your butt is kind of funny, but...

I'm not sure on this one. Yes, I know, I'm raining on a parade, but...dang.

Also, it was decided pretty unanimously that "Sage Mode", as seen used by Jiraiya and Naruto, is only available for used by toad summoners, if they ever advance that far.

Since the Super-Cat summons butterflies....
    Your concern is understandable, but I think that, as long as we don't get any more of these characters and everyone acts reasonably (which, given our relatively few numbers, should be easy to enforce), an arms race shouldn't be to big of a problem.

On the Sage Mode issue: so it was decided that drawing upon natural chakra is an option only available to toad-summoners? I can see why that was used to limit power, but at the same time I might have to question the explanation...the manga seems to indicate that sages go to the toads to get training, but I don't recall there being anything about only toad summoners being able to learn the secrets of sage mode. Given Neko's power, it's easily possible that he figured out the secret to Sage Mode by himself.

Androids issue: what about a system similar to Alphonse Elric's situation in Full Metal Alchemist? That is, a powerful jutsu that was used to seal a person's soul in an object, and that object happened to be a puppet...?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-03-01 at 10:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Robots in Naruto is swinging too far sci-fi, in my opinion.

This is a big part of my own hesitation on the subject. An arms race could get nasty, since we've got a couple demon containers, lots of summoners with, most likely, untapped potential via their summons, and enough seal users we could see scary things invented.
    A lot of that may come into play, but I'd hope it does so at a more natural pace.
    Actually.

They have this sort of thing, chakra powered armor, semi living statues, and a whole load of other crazy things.

Personally, if it was allowed, I'd say it'd be more like a Evangelion. A Living Puppet in the sense that it's a soul trapped inside a puppet with limited control within the limits of commands...

If this is accepted, and it breaks free, I demand a "It's gone berserk!" line from someone.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    On the Sage Mode issue: so it was decided that drawing upon natural chakra is an option only available to toad-summoners? I can see why that was used to limit power, but at the same time I might have to question the explanation...the manga seems to indicate that sages go to the toads to get training, but I don't recall there being anything about only toad summoners being able to learn the secrets of sage mode. Given Neko's power, it's easily possible that he figured out the secret to Sage Mode by himself.
    Part of it was all the summoners were like "We're going to have Sage Mode!", before we decided that each contract had something unique in store for those who mastered it. Thus keeping Sage Mode unique to frog summoners.

Part of the issue is that, from the manga, it seems like if you don't immediately balance the energies, and balance them perfectly, you start looking like a toad. If nothing else, that's one of those things that's a clue to go talk to the toads...Except this Sage already has butterflies.

Maybe the fact that I have the 1 toad summoner character in the world makes it something I have a vested interest in. And no, he doesn't have Sage Mode. Yet.

If this character does see play, two things need to happen. A.)They never fight, not really. B.)We lock down any possibility of an arms race.

Otherwise, it just spirals out of control.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Actually.

They have this sort of thing, chakra powered armor, semi living statues, and a whole load of other crazy things.

Personally, if it was allowed, I'd say it'd be more like a Evangelion. A Living Puppet in the sense that it's a soul trapped inside a puppet with limited control within the limits of commands...

If this is accepted, and it breaks free, I demand a "It's gone berserk!" line from someone.
    ...I'm really not in favor of Evangelion expys in this game.

Chakra armor is something that could at least partially be explained as running off of special materials that channel chakra.

Not sure what "semi-living statues" are.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

I do not think a 'living puppet' should be in narutoITP.
    Puppets do not have chakra. It cannot generate it, so it cannot live. Maybe Sasori became closest to the opposite (maybe 13_CBS's character is like that). But I do not think a Pinokkio story is good.

I like Cat, because it will be fun to draw Tomoya's reaction, or Momo. Maybe it will be some humor like in Bleach, early on too. But I really do not think he should need a 'powers list.' Maybe it is nice to know what he will do...but apart from humor, I think at the situation it should be okay without it.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

Golems. The power of filler compels you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Golems. The power of filler compels you.
    I don't understand.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't understand.
    It's a reference to my "what living statues" comment. Wiki on golems.

Doesn't really apply though, Draken.

I mean, there's the statue that Akatsuki uses to bind the tailed beasts, but...it's basically a big battery. And Pain summoned it. And...yeah, it's not really something I'd consider a "character concept".

I just think we should stop and think before we start pulling out really crazy "mad science!" type ideas.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

>.>

Yeah. That (tehcnicaly) single word post was aimed at Knight, not you. In fact due to the fact that I often delay posts for whatever reason you ended up ninja'ing me kasanip.

And I actually have no idea when semi-living constructs were used in Naruto, closest I know is that apparently the tailed beasts themselves are chakra constructs made to hold the power of the 10-tailed beast.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

The thing is, the process to make a puppet with human parts is totally fatal. It involves, among other things, taking out all the organs.
    In original canon Chiyo replaced her arm with a puppet parts. Sasori replaced his whole body expect his heart and possibly cetral nervesystem. Compared to that, say, a person with only mechanical limbs wo couldn't move on his/her own would be mild.

EDIT: What I'm saying is, having a human puppet does not require the human to be dead. Chiyo also puppeteered Sakura, who was all alive and kicking.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-03-01 at 11:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The closest are Sasori ("living puppet", somehow retains sentience with only a heart, which seems strange; also, he was an expert puppeteer who did it to himself) and Kakuzu (whose body seems mostly made of those freaky black threads; again, something he did to himself, and seems to accelerate the fact that he has to take hearts from other shinobi).

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    In original canon Chiyo replaced her arm with a puppet parts. Sasori replaced his whole body expect his heart and possibly cetral nervesystem. Compared to that, say, a person with only mechanical limbs wo couldn't move on his/her own would be mild.

EDIT: What I'm saying is, having a human puppet does not require the human to be dead. Chiyo also puppeteered Sakura, who was all alive and kicking.
    Yeah, but chakra strings yank things around, living or dead. And Sakura cooperated. It's only "pupeteering" in the vaguest of senses.

The thing is, we've only ever seen either self-modification (which left the user alive) or a body completely emptied out and rebuilt (Sasori's human puppets; killed said puppets).

Sakura was kind of a unique situation. As well, again, chakra strings can yank things around, that's not being argued. But barring things like "tripping an opponent", it would be hard to do on an un-willing target.

And if someone's being used as a puppet against their will long term, there's no reason not to kill them. I mean, really. No reason.

So making a "sentient puppet" feels like a stretch. And again, ninja cyborgs is...it's kind of getting to a point I don't feel meshes well.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

And if someone's being used as a puppet against their will long term, there's no reason not to kill them. I mean, really. No reason.
    I can think of at least two reasons, but they're better left unelaborated. And there is the possibility of someone being a puppet willingly.