New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Love you guys

1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Love you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Oh come on, we're not THAT cold. In fact, some places can get quite warm during the summer.
    Yeah, sixty degrees is only warm to us northerners, eh?
    Last edited by Solaris; 2010-02-20 at 10:25 PM.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh come on, we're not THAT cold. In fact, some places can get quite warm during the summer.
    I know, I live in Canada. However if he's from the south he might find it a touch chilly at times

@V hate to break it to you, but you're going to find Holland friggen cold then.
    Last edited by The Duke; 2010-02-20 at 10:32 PM.
    The avatar isn't really a good example of my work as I did it with my hand in a brace, hopefully I can put something nicer up soon. -TD

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

anything below 65 farenhieght is friggen cold

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    anything below 65 farenhieght is friggen cold
    ... You do know that only a few months ago I was running around in -60, right?
    Holland and Canadia both hit below freezing regularly, and some parts of Canadia actually get colder than my record low of -68.
    Last edited by Solaris; 2010-02-20 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Relevance.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

I don't mind the cold as long as I have a way to warm up (most of my ways are illegal here )

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

I don't mind the cold as long as I have a way to warm up (most of my ways are illegal here )
    Warm clothes are illegal?

I remember we were in Louisiana a couple winters back, coming from Alaska. We got off the plane and promptly started to sweat buckets, downgrading our cold weather gear as low as it would go. The whole month we were there, we were running around in T-shirts if we could. The local troops were looking at us like we were crazy men 'cause we thought sixty was pretty darned warm.

Currently Playing

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have to walk to work in (currently) 10-30 degrees Fahrenheit. I wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a light jacket, and I sweat. This is because I grew up in New York, and my mother's family lived in Canada for a long while. Down in Indiana, people think I'm insane. Once, I got so hot I actually took off my jacket and was comfortable, leading my co-worker to ask "Would you explain to me why it's 20-something degrees outside and you weren't wearing your friggin' jacket?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Love you too, man.

And if you live in America, try wearing a trench coat to school. All your peers will assume you will pull a columbine (sp?) and leave you alone. I wear a trench coat to school daily (because it's cold outside), and I'm told i look way more threatening.
    When we were in High School my brother wore a trenchcoat to school once and someone actually called the police.

He did that kind of thing a lot. One of the vice principles hated him so much it was hilarious. She quit/retired/transferred/I don't know after my freshman year so I never dealt with her. But oh, the STORIES!

We had an ANTHRAX day once. It was complete insanity. One of the janitors (no habla Ingles) found some "suspicious white powder" by the cafeteria before school. Then everyone starts arriving on the buses and no one knows what's going on. First we're told school is still on, but that section will be blocked off (WORST. IDEA. EVAR!!!). Then we're told schools cancelled. Cool. Me, my brother, and a couple of our friends start walking towards the nearest city bus stop so we can leave. When we're across the street and about half a block away, Ms. Tingley (Vice principal mentioned earlier) yells specifically for my brother to come back (apparently they decided school was back on). "Whatever," we say, "let's go." And we keep on walking. We go into the Waldenbooks (before it was bought by Borders) and looked around while we waited for the bus. Next door we saw some cops go into the Burger King and come out with other students (we guess) to take them back. Good thing they didn't think to check the book store. Who would think high school students would go there? Then we got home, invited over a bunch of friends, and had an Anthrax Party. We later find out that school was cancelled, and the powder was plaster dust. The VP still tried to get my brother in trouble, though. Didn't work due to Mom not taking sides with her just because she's the VP.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

9. - Top - End - #129

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    We had an ANTHRAX day once.
    We had a mercury day. It was during finals week, my senior year of HS. They sent the cops to get rid of all the mercury thermometers, and someone dropped a box. Shut down everything. It was so awesome. Even more awesome was that finals got canceled.
    Last edited by THAC0; 2010-02-21 at 01:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
    I agree with the new direction the discussion is going in, you do not want to teach students who goto school because they have to. University or something maybe, but not a public school teacher.

If a student has to be there, they will resent you, not all of them, not even most, but enough to make your day bad. every day. At a university everyone's there by choice, but I think you've got to be teaching for a while to get into one as a teacher. Then again I've never applied to teach.
    And many college students are there simply to get a piece of paper that they can show to future employers.

Sure, the concentration of students that have a love for learning may be higher in a university setting, but you will encounter many that are just there because the course is required. All they care about is that little letter they receive at the end of the term.

If anything, that should be a reason to teach younger kids as you can work towards instilling a love for learning in your students. A love that'll serve them well in whatever they decide to do in life. Yea, I'm an idealist, heh.

Also, pursuing a tenure track position is *not* something to be taken lightly. I'm sure some of the other current/former grad students could fill you in with more details there. Note that I'm simply a master's student that's done some TA'ing and, as of now, am in a sort of self imposed limbo.

Oh, and:

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris
    Quote Originally Posted by icastflare!
    Trust me, my friend did it it was horrible. get no respect, very low wages. worst year of his life
    You don't do it for the money.
    QFT

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Sometimes I seriously think about going into teaching. Either middle or high school. Don't know what I would teach though... I never truly excelled at any of my classes, nor did I do terribly in any. I think I'd do either Math ('cause I'm good at it naturally) or English ('cause it is so rarely done right).

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

12. - Top - End - #132

If you're dead set on going to Holland, more power to you.

OTHERWISE, here's a college that I'll be attending next semester, and I think you'll be warmly accepted. Nothing lost in checking it out, at least.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    If you're dead set on going to Holland, more power to you.

OTHERWISE, here's a college that I'll be attending next semester, and I think you'll be warmly accepted. Nothing lost in checking it out, at least.
    Anyone else think that "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" is a hilarious name?

I am B.
    Are you B?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Forgot to address this little bit:

Well, she told him that if he didn't get a haircut (he has really long hair, below his shoulders) she would take a straight razor to his head, and he said "Your not the only one who carries a razor" and cocked an eyebrow, she told him to shut his mouth and back handed him
    All three actions were ridiculous.

The first comment should've just been dismissed by the kid, but instead he *threatened* the teacher with that razor comment. Not that that excuses the teacher in backhanding him, but it's difficult to fully support the kid knowing that he threatened, even if not directly, the teacher.

And in response to Krade, math is so rarely taught properly as well. There's so, so much more than rote memorization. Then again, that's what I study, so I may be a bit biased there, heh.

15. - Top - End - #135

Anyone else think that "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" is a hilarious name?
    ...the town of Indiana was around before the state, actually.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

16. - Top - End - #136

ClericGirl

Psh. It is an institution of little matter other than the incongruity of it's name. But then, I graduated from The Pennsylvania State University, and am quite proud of that fact.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    ...the town of Indiana was around before the state, actually.
    LIES!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashery View Post
    And in response to Krade, math is so rarely taught properly as well. There's so, so much more than rote memorization. Then again, that's what I study, so I may be a bit biased there, heh.
    That's true. I always found math homework assignments to be pointless busy work (much like all non-project homework assignments). I'd get points off for not showing my work when I could do the 'work' near instantly in my head. I found shortcuts they didn't teach and they wouldn't listen when I tried to explain them. Most notably is the midpoint equation. They give this convoluted equation to find it when, if you actually think about it, it's incredibly simple. I can't even remember the exact equation, but I can remember the shortcut I found.
    Last edited by Krade; 2010-02-21 at 02:07 AM.

I am B.
    Are you B?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's true. I always found math homework assignments to be pointless busy work (much like all non-project homework assignments). I'd get points off for not showing my work when I could do the 'work' near instantly in my head. I found shortcuts they didn't teach and they wouldn't listen when I tried to explain them. Most notably is the midpoint equation. They give this convoluted equation to find it when, if you actually think about it, it's incredibly simple. I can't even remember the exact equation, but I can remember the shortcut I found.
    You *need* to show your work.

Best reason for showing it? Partial credit. I don't know about most high schools, etc., but when marking exams as a TA, if a student gets a question wrong but shows their work I can figure out where they made their mistake. Did they make a mistake indicating that they don't understand the question or did they simply make the careless mistake of saying 1+1=3?

Without showing your work, making that mistake means you'll get nothing. Hell, even if you got it right, chances are you'll get nothing as well.

Later on, if you go into higher math, you show your work not only so the prof can understand every step, but so you're able to go back and double check your work. It's hard to see if/where you made that careless mistake if you don't write it down.

With respect to the midpoint equation, part of the reason that it seems so convoluted is that *understanding* what's going on isn't stressed. Rather, the focus is generally on plugging and chugging without necessarily understanding what the hell is going on.

What's the shortcut, out of curiosity?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

And many college students are there simply to get a piece of paper that they can show to future employers.
    Yes, but more importantly, they're paying for this piece of paper. That, in and of itself, is far more motivation than they had at any point in high school.

Used to be that I was really, really good at math. That rote memorization actually trained me on how to do math badly, so that problems I used to be able to do in my head in seconds take me minutes on paper. Now that I'm out of school, of course, it all takes minutes now if I remember how to do it at all.
    Finest education system in the world, hooah.

Point
    Counter-Point: Do you really need to show your work at every step for low-level algebra and geometry? I can understand for the more advanced mathematics, but if a student is capable of getting the right answer in their head then why punish them for it or, worse, re-train them to no longer be able to?

Currently Playing

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Yes, but more importantly, they're paying for this piece of paper. That, in and of itself, is far more motivation than they had at any point in high school.
    Point taken. But then you have the required classes or GE's that the student thinks are pointless and a waste of their money.

Counter-Point: Do you really need to show your work at every step for low-level algebra and geometry? I can understand for the more advanced mathematics, but if a student is capable of getting the right answer in their head then why punish them for it or, worse, re-train them to no longer be able to?
    In general, I'd expect the student to be able to produce, on paper, evidence that they know and understand the concepts that the exam is covering. If the question is to do some fairly basic arithmetic, you need to show all your of your work so that I know that you understand what's going on. *I* know that 38+72=110, but how do I know that you do?

And, as my seventh grade algebra teacher explained, cutting corners in your head is a perfect setup to make careless mistakes.

I agree, though, that they shouldn't be retrained to do it using a different/unfamiliar method on paper. But it is necessary that they be able to write *how* they got the answer down. Ideally, the instructor would then be able to follow the student's thought process and take things from there.

I'd need specifics to really take that any further...

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

In general, I'd expect the student to be able to produce, on paper, evidence that they know and understand the concepts that the exam is covering. If the question is to do some fairly basic arithmetic, you need to show all your of your work so that I know that you understand what's going on. *I* know that 38+72=110, but how do I know that you do?
    I'd say the fact that they're in a certain level of math means they should be familiar with every level below it. At the very least, give some credit for knowing basic arithmetic to the Honors/AP students, y'know? Especially in the cases of "Do five hundred math problems", where really you only need to do about a half-dozen to get it. I'd usually show my work for the first cluster, just so the teacher knew that I knew what I was doing, then I'd go ahead and knock 'em out only showing enough work to keep notes by.

Not to mention calculators.

And, as my seventh grade algebra teacher explained, cutting corners in your head is a perfect setup to make careless mistakes.
    True dat.

I agree, though, that they shouldn't be retrained to do it using a different/unfamiliar method on paper. But it is necessary that they be able to write *how* they got the answer down. Ideally, the instructor would then be able to follow the student's thought process and take things from there.
    Ideally, yes. I should be able to write in, say, every third-fourth step (about as far as my memory was able to hold without error) and the teacher follows it. Ideally. Ideally, I wouldn't have had a teacher certified to teach elementary school math in my senior year. When I had to teach her some of the subject (second-year algebra was all I could bargain her up to), you know something about that situation is simply aberrant (and it was, I was in less of a school and more of a holding facility). In all honesty, though, the only math teacher I've had who I've been impressed with was my... I think seventh-grade teacher? Maybe eighth grade. Mr Fry. He taught me up to first-year algebra and geometry when I walked into his class knowing about as much math as your average fifth-grader. The rest of 'em didn't strike me as the type to be able to decipher notes that skipped steps.

Example (and like I said, I only got up to part of second-year algebra so forgive the simplicity of the problem): 2X + 3 = 3X. I could solve that just by looking at it. X = 3. That's basic math. Stupid-simple. Would you mark the answer wrong if I failed to show any intervening steps, but my general grade in the class was in the A's and B's range? If you say 'Yes', then I'd say you deserve a dopeslap. More complicated problems that need several steps to solve, then I agree, something should be shown if only to give the teacher a clue as to where the student got the answer from.

Currently Playing

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd say the fact that they're in a certain level of math means they should be familiar with every level below it. At the very least, give some credit for knowing basic arithmetic to the Honors/AP students, y'know? Especially in the cases of "Do five hundred math problems", where really you only need to do about a half-dozen to get it. I'd usually show my work for the first cluster, just so the teacher knew that I knew what I was doing, then I'd go ahead and knock 'em out only showing enough work to keep notes by.

Not to mention calculators.
    The first couple statements reinforce what I was saying. If the question is to do simple arithmetic, you need to do it and show that you know what's going on. I'm testing if you know how to do arithmetic.

If the question was instead asking you to integrate some ****ed up trigonometric expression, I'd expect you to show me that you know how to integrate that. In this situation, if I were to see a careless mistake along the lines of 1+1=3, I'd likely give full credit for the question provided that the rest of the work was correct. Note that this partial credit requires that you show *all* work. Showing all work, honestly, becomes a reflex later on. I actually have a problem with exams that I'm taking where I show too *much* work and wind up having not enough time to adequately complete the rest.

Don't even get me started on the whole "quantity over quality" issue that seems to be so common these days. Especially if instructors only check to see if the student got the question right or wrong and don't look at *why* they made the mistake in the first place. Is it a simple careless mistake or are they not understanding the concepts discussed in class? If they're not understanding the concepts, the instructor *needs* to figure out *why* there is a misunderstanding and correct it.

Calculators are the bane of my existence. They should be banned in math courses. Period.

Yes, they have their uses, but a course on elementary mathematics is not one of them.

Ideally, yes. I should be able to write in, say, every third-fourth step (about as far as my memory was able to hold without error) and the teacher follows it. Ideally. Ideally, I wouldn't have had a teacher certified to teach elementary school math in my senior year. When I had to teach her some of the subject (second-year algebra was all I could bargain her up to), you know something about that situation is simply aberrant (and it was, I was in less of a school and more of a holding facility). In all honesty, though, the only math teacher I've had who I've been impressed with was my... I think seventh-grade teacher? Maybe eighth grade. Mr Fry. He taught me up to first-year algebra and geometry when I walked into his class knowing about as much math as your average fifth-grader. The rest of 'em didn't strike me as the type to be able to decipher notes that skipped steps.

Example (and like I said, I only got up to part of second-year algebra so forgive the simplicity of the problem): 2X + 3 = 3X. I could solve that just by looking at it. X = 3. That's basic math. Stupid-simple. Would you mark the answer wrong if I failed to show any intervening steps, but my general grade in the class was in the A's and B's range? If you say 'Yes', then I'd say you deserve a dopeslap. More complicated problems that need several steps to solve, then I agree, something should be shown if only to give the teacher a clue as to where the student got the answer from.
    In response to the second paragraph, I'd likely mark you off for not showing your work.

Why?

Quite simple. The whole point of that question being there is to give the most basic question relating to solving an equation by isolating the variable. *I* know that the answer is three, and yes, you may know it as well. But you need to show me that you know *how* to get it.

And is really *that* much work to write "-2x" below each side?

If you can't illustrate to me that you understand the concept on such a basic level, how will you be able to use the same method on more complex questions that cannot be solved in your head? The first baby step may seem insultingly easy, but take it as free question on the exam instead of being insulted by it.

The first paragraph just makes me want a drink, heh. Actually, that sounds like a good idea while I wait for a response.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    We should all visit his school wearing our Rennaisance Festivle outfits.
    Yes. Froogleyboy, I volunteer your school as the site of the next Playground Meetup. We'll all come to your school in Rennaisance Fair clothing, and spend all day pretending to hex people and terrify the stupid. Strength in numbers and all that.

When somebody asks what the hell we're all doing here, tell them it's bring-your-coven-to-school day.

...or just what Vorpal said about not letting them do crap like that, but my idea is more fun.

One friend of mine used to get beaten up all the time because he was in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is basically half-Rennaisance Fair and half-LARP. So one day he made himself what was basically a suit of armor out of punctured soup cans. It had many many sharp edges facing outward. He wore it to school under his clothes one day, and laughed as people punched him and sliced their hands open. His clothes got ruined, of course, but the school bullies started leaving him alone after that.

Do something like this, only with pretend-hexes and pranks to create "misfortunes" brought on by the "curse."
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Yes. Froogleyboy, I volunteer your school as the site of the next Playground Meetup. We'll all come to your school in Rennaisance Fair clothing, and spend all day pretending to hex people and terrify the stupid. Strength in numbers and all that.

When somebody asks what the hell we're all doing here, tell them it's bring-your-coven-to-school day.

...or just what Vorpal said about not letting them do crap like that, but my idea is more fun.

One friend of mine used to get beaten up all the time because he was in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is basically half-Rennaisance Fair and half-LARP. So one day he made himself what was basically a suit of armor out of punctured soup cans. It had many many sharp edges facing outward. He wore it to school under his clothes one day, and laughed as people punched him and sliced their hands open. His clothes got ruined, of course, but the school bullies started leaving him alone after that.

Do something like this, only with pretend-hexes and pranks to create "misfortunes" brought on by the "curse."
    People are less scared by weirdness than physical violence. Forget the 'hexing,' and 'coven,' wear jack-plates and carry sideswords. Rattle your armour occasionally and wave the blades around meaningfully.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

The first couple statements reinforce what I was saying. If the question is to do simple arithmetic, you need to do it and show that you know what's going on. I'm testing if you know how to do arithmetic.
    Fair enough, I suppose. If we're halfway through the first semester of... well, anything beyond elementary school, you bet I'm not gonna be showing the work on 1 + 4 x 4 = 17. As the teacher, you really should know by that point what your students are capable of. It's not sloth that makes me not want to show every single step, it's the simple fact that it's more natural for me to do two-three steps of the simpler math in my head.
    It all started with carrying numbers over from double-digit addition in second grade. My teacher, bless her heart, just could not understand that I was perfectly capable of remembering to add X to the next column over without writing it down. I've had a dislike of excessive note-taking ever since.

If the question was instead asking you to integrate some ****ed up trigonometric expression, I'd expect you to show me that you know how to integrate that. In this situation, if I were to see a careless mistake along the lines of 1+1=3, I'd likely give full credit for the question provided that the rest of the work was correct. Note that this partial credit requires that you show *all* work. Showing all work, honestly, becomes a reflex later on. I actually have a problem with exams that I'm taking where I show too *much* work and wind up having not enough time to adequately complete the rest.
    This, too, I can dig. For complex problems and stuff you're actually learning, as opposed to a rehearsal of stuff learned in second grade (yes, I have had to do multiplication tables in my senior year, no I did not find it entertaining in the slightest when the teacher handed out calculators with them), writing it down is crucial to remembering it.

Don't even get me started on the whole "quantity over quality" issue that seems to be so common these days. Especially if instructors only check to see if the student got the question right or wrong and don't look at *why* they made the mistake in the first place. Is it a simple careless mistake or are they not understanding the concepts discussed in class? If they're not understanding the concepts, the instructor *needs* to figure out *why* there is a misunderstanding and correct it.

Calculators are the bane of my existence. They should be banned in math courses. Period.

Yes, they have their uses, but a course on elementary mathematics is not one of them.
    There, I think, you've managed to find a complaint I had with much of my math classes throughout high school. Thanks for putting words to it. There was one point in my junior year where I asked a teacher to show us how to do... I think it was sine/cosines without a calculator. It was Adv Algebra II, the year the calculators really took over. He refused. My mind was boggled, 'cause before that we only used calculators to do the basic arithmetic gruntwork. After that, I don't think I learned a G-D thing 'cause it was all just punching numbers into calculators.

In response to the second paragraph, I'd likely mark you off for not showing your work.

Why?

Quite simple. The whole point of that question being there is to give the most basic question relating to solving an equation by isolating the variable. *I* know that the answer is three, and yes, you may know it as well. But you need to show me that you know *how* to get it.

And is really *that* much work to write "-2x" below each side?

If you can't illustrate to me that you understand the concept on such a basic level, how will you be able to use the same method on more complex questions that cannot be solved in your head? The first baby step may seem insultingly easy, but take it as free question on the exam instead of being insulted by it.

The first paragraph just makes me want a drink, heh. Actually, that sounds like a good idea while I wait for a response.
    I think we'll have to agree that it's probably a good thing you're the math teacher and I'm not, then. I can see your reasoning, and I understand it, but I still don't like it.
    Like I said, though, for me it's not so much sloth as it is... Well, (and it's bad that the first example that pops into my head is military-related), it's kinda like when I'm shooting. I don't actively pay attention to the fundamentals anymore, they're reflexive by now. Perceiving, knowing, and executing are all one and the same. If someone makes me stop and actually, actively pay attention to my trigger squeeze, breathing, aim, sight picture, and body position then I'm probably gonna screw up 'cause they're messing with a working system. Not so much now as back then, if I had to stop and really put thinkery into the fundamentals (writing them down) of addition, subtraction, multiplication, exponents, and the order they go in, I'd take longer to do the problem itself because it's interrupting the flow of thought.
    Bonus points if that made any sense. I think I'll be joining you on that drink.

Also, I blame you for a lot of this stuff coming back. Here I thought I'd thoroughly replaced that part of my brain with useless D&D rules! >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    People are less scared by weirdness than physical violence. Forget the 'hexing,' and 'coven,' wear jack-plates and carry sideswords. Rattle your armour occasionally and wave the blades around meaningfully.
    Yes, because that would never end badly.
    Last edited by Solaris; 2010-02-21 at 05:02 AM.

Currently Playing

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Yes, yes they do. My mom among them. All the "Chick Tract" D&D stuff you (and I) laugh about? She believes all of it. >.<
    You mean like this?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay Asta Kask, no more Uncyclopedia for you.

More like this.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Okay Asta Kask, no more Uncyclopedia for you.

More like this.
    Because comics that quote verses always end well on this forum. And here it was being derailed so nicely, too...

Currently Playing

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fair enough, I suppose. If we're halfway through the first semester of... well, anything beyond elementary school, you bet I'm not gonna be showing the work on 1 + 4 x 4 = 17. As the teacher, you really should know by that point what your students are capable of. It's not sloth that makes me not want to show every single step, it's the simple fact that it's more natural for me to do two-three steps of the simpler math in my head.
    It all started with carrying numbers over from double-digit addition in second grade. My teacher, bless her heart, just could not understand that I was perfectly capable of remembering to add X to the next column over without writing it down. I've had a dislike of excessive note-taking ever since.
    You're misunderstanding me here...

If I'm asking you a *specific* question regarding arithmetic, I expect you to be able to reproduce, on paper, the method in which you used to get it.

I would *not* be asking that question to a group of students in a calculus course. I would ask that question on an exam shortly after that topic was introduced in whatever course that topic would fit in.

Regardless of *that* statement, I'd expect to see the following for the above question:

1 + (4 x 4) = 1 + 16 = 17

That's all. All I'd be interested in is knowing that you understand the order of operations. There honestly isn't much more to that question that I can see.

Carrying over is a more legitimate, for the lack of a better word, complaint. But still, answer me this:

How is an instructor supposed to understand that you know what's going on without writing it down?

I suppose we could go into a discussion on other methods that an instructor can use to test their students' ability, but the above question still stands.

This, too, I can dig. For complex problems and stuff you're actually learning, as opposed to a rehearsal of stuff learned in second grade (yes, I have had to do multiplication tables in my senior year, no I did not find it entertaining in the slightest when the teacher handed out calculators with them), writing it down is crucial to remembering it.
    Emphasis mine.

Thanks for an excuse to pour a second drink, heh.

There, I think, you've managed to find a complaint I had with much of my math classes throughout high school. Thanks for putting words to it. There was one point in my junior year where I asked a teacher to show us how to do... I think it was sine/cosines without a calculator. It was Adv Algebra II, the year the calculators really took over. He refused. My mind was boggled, 'cause before that we only used calculators to do the basic arithmetic gruntwork. After that, I don't think I learned a G-D thing 'cause it was all just punching numbers into calculators.
    Alcoholism here I come!

I think we'll have to agree that it's probably a good thing you're the math teacher and I'm not, then. I can see your reasoning, and I understand it, but I still don't like it.
    Like I said, though, for me it's not so much sloth as it is... Well, (and it's bad that the first example that pops into my head is military-related), it's kinda like when I'm shooting. I don't actively pay attention to the fundamentals anymore, they're reflexive by now. Perceiving, knowing, and executing are all one and the same. If someone makes me stop and actually, actively pay attention to my trigger squeeze, breathing, aim, sight picture, and body position then I'm probably gonna screw up 'cause they're messing with a working system. Not so much now as back then, if I had to stop and really put thinkery into the fundamentals (writing them down) of addition, subtraction, multiplication, exponents, and the order they go in, I'd take longer to do the problem itself because it's interrupting the flow of thought.
    Bonus points if that made any sense. I think I'll be joining you on that drink.

Also, I blame you for a lot of this stuff coming back. Here I thought I'd thoroughly replaced that part of my brain with useless D&D rules! >_<
    Eventually the procedure becomes second nature. When I do these types of problems, I don't think about'em, much as you don't think about your shooting. It becomes reflex after enough practice. The fundamentals are so ingrained that they become second nature. I suppose this is where the "quantity over quantity" problem originates, as well. You need to *practice* to get to this level, but at the same time you need to have adequate feedback on your work. That feedback part just happens to be badly neglected...

Also note: I am not an actual high school instructor, but rather a grad student with a fair bit of TA'ing experience that will likely end up teaching HS for a living.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Warm fuzzies are well and good, but reality and life are pretty harsh. There are jerkass people in the real world and there's no administration system to protect you.

Get yourself involved in a martial arts or self defense program. It'll do wonders for your confidence, boost your self esteem and it'll help you out if the bullies start pounding on you again.

Our news down here, both the print media and visual form, frequently reports on violence within the school yard; with fights regularly erupting (sending kids to hospitals unconscious) to kids from prestigious private schools selling drugs to other kids, and everything in between. The level of street violence is also insane; to the point that many fear to go out at night.

This is probably no fault of the teachers; they only have so much to work with after all and have to work with only what they are given. And in many cases, it isn't pretty. The teachers can't do much for problem-behaviour students and a slap across the face is sure to get that teacher sacked.

The concept of respect is lost on many kids, who are really rebels without any cause or meaning. They should bring back corporal punishment. That'd teach kids proper discipline and respect.

Cool and popular are overrated; with coolness and popularity being 99% theatrics.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence