New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Well that was more of a joke. Although my real concern were I to have one is that the Lycanthrope template in the MM could transform into any animal.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazddndfreek View Post
    Well that was more of a joke. Although my real concern were I to have one is that the Lycanthrope template in the MM could transform into any animal.
    these classes are based on CR, and that can vary for lycanthropes depending on the animal.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

You can always make a two level lycanthrope class, with additional levels based on specific animal. For example, 2 wolf levels, or three bear levels, and so on. That wouldn't be generic Animal levels, but unique to each animal.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Uh, that Devour ability should really have a maximum cap; something like +5 or so. As it is, a single ghoul with sufficient corpses could get some arbitrarily high bonuses to attack rolls, skill checks, & saving throws. And the more they attack...
    Already did that. Notice that the feed ability cannot grant you more than 5 temporary HP for each HD you have. So since devour grants +1 for each 10 temp HP, you can never have a bonus bigger than half your HD.

5. - Top - End - #305

The Werebear

Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites
    to become a werebear, the character must meet the following requirements

Race: Any medium or large humanoid or giant
    Special:Must have been injured by the natural attack of another werebear and contracted lycanthropy
    HD:d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Alternate form(bear), Bear empathy, Lunar body, Hunter's nose
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Alternate form(hybrid), Lunar hide, Improved hunter's nose
    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Growth, +1wis
    4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Curse of lycantropy, Indominable[/table]
    Skills: 2+int mod. Class skills are handle animal, swim, listen, spot, survival

Proficiencies: A werebear gains proficiency with their own natural wepons

Features:

Lunar body(ex): Werebears retain old racial modifiers and gain the shapechanger subtype. They gain low-light vision if they did not already possess it.

A werebear gains natural armor equal to its con bonus while in bear or hybrid form. While in humanoid form their natural armor is equal to half their con bonus

Bear empathy: a werebear can communicate with bears and dire bears regardless of form and gains a +4 bonus on charisma based checks to influence them.

Alternate Form(su): At first level, a werebear can take bear form. while in this form, they cannot use wepons or do anything requiring the use of hands, but gains two claw attacks and a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage and their move speed increases to 40ft. In addition, they gain the improved grab ability. A werebear can transform 1/day/HD, and can remain transformed indefinitely.

For every level in werebear, or for every two in another class, the werebear's alternate form improves as shown below

{table]werebear level+1/2 other levels|ability improvements
    1|+1con
    2|+1str, +1con
    3|+1str, +2con
    4|+2str, +2con
    5|+2str, +3con
    6|+3str, +3con
    7|+3str, +4con
    8|+4str, +4con
    9|+4str, +5con
    10|+5str,+5con
    11|+5str, +6con
    12|+6str, +6con[/table]

At second level, a werebear can assume hybrid form. While in hybrid form, a werebear gains two claw attacks for 1d4 damage each and a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage, and can weild any wepons they could use in humanoid form. Both alternate forms are medium sized, regardless of the creature's humanoid size. A werebear in alternate form gains a +4 bonus to swim checks

Hunters nose: a werebear in bear form gains the scent ability and gains a + bonus on survival checks to track by scent equal to his HD. at second level this ability works regardless of form.

Lunar hide: At second level, a werebear gains DR equal to 1/2 their HD/Silver while in alternate form

Growth: At 3rd level, a werebear's alternate forms become large. their bite attack deals 2d6 and their claws deal 1d8. In addition their natural armour improves by 1 while in alternate form.

A werebear of 12 HD or more may choose to become huge by expending two normal transformations.

A werebear of 16 HD or more may choose to become gargantuan by expending three normal transformations.

A werebear of 20 HD or more may choose to become colossal by expending four normal transformations.

Curse of lycanthropy: At 4th level a werebear can transmit lycanthropy to other creatures. if a medium or large humanoid or giant is hit by their natural attacks while they are in alternate form, the creature must make a fortitude save(DC10+1/2HD+Con modifier) or contract lycanthropy. For more information on lycanthropy, check the lycanthrope entry in the monster manual.

Indominable: At 4th level, a werebear gains the ability to shrug off damage. 1/day for every 4HD they possess, the werebear can try to resist an attack. If the werebear succeeds a fortitude save(DC=damage dealt) then half of the damage of the attacks is ignored and the other half is converted into subdual damage. Using this ability is a free action.

They also gain diehard as a bonus feat, regardless of whether or not they meet the prerequisites, except that they werebear only drops dead when it reaches negative HP equal to 1/4 his maximum HP instead of -10.

If the werebear already has this feat they may choose a different one, and his diehard beat improves like shown above anyway.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

Crafty_Cultist comments:

The werebear is basically the werewolf with a few modifications. They have higher strength and constitution, but no bonuses to dexterity. Their capstone ability reflects their incredible endurance rather than becoming a pack leader

My comments:
    Another very nice job from Crafty Cultist. Just cleaned up a bit and added the image. The capstone seems a little weaker than the werewolf's one, but I can't really think of anything better for now. Inspired by Eldan's sugestion buffed dieheard so you only drop at -1/4 your total HP instead of -10.

Done by Crafty_Cultist
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-19 at 12:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm. Improving the cap on the werebear...

How about increasing the cap of diehard? Say, you only die at -Con HP?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

So, I decided to try to do another one, and... well, here it is anyway.

The red Ethergaunt
    (Couldn't find a picture, sorry)
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD :d8
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 0|+0 |+0 | +2 | Ethergaunt body, arcane soul, etherblade recharge
    2|+ 1|+ 0|+0 | +3 |total vision, +1 Int
    3|+ 1|+ 1|+ 1| +3 |Stupefying gaze
    4|+ 2|+ 1|+1 | +4 |Etheral Jaunt 1/day, +1 Int
    5|+ 2|+ 1|+1 | +4 |Ethergaunt Hide
    6|+ 3|+ 2|+2 | +5 |Etheral Jaunt 2/day, +1 Int
    7|+ 3|+ 2|+2 | +5 |Enslave
    8|+ 4|+ 2|+2 | +6 |Etheral Jaunt 3/day, +1 Int
    9|+ 4|+ 3|+3 | +6 |Etheralness, Material Jaunt, Stupefying gaze
    [/table]
    Skills: 2+int modifier. An ethergaunt’s class skills are Concentration (con), Heal (wis), Knowledge (any) (int), Listen (wis), Move silently (dex), Spellcraft (int), Spot (wis) and Survival (wis)

Weapon and armor proficiencies: An ethergaunt is only proficient with a special weapon they make, the etherblade

Features:
    Ethergaunt Body: At first level, the ethergaunt loses all other racial bonuses and gains aberration traits as well as the extraplanar subtype. It is a medium-sized aberration with a base speed of 30ft. It has no natural attacks, but has a natural armor rating equal to its cha modifier.

Arcane Soul: The ethergaunt casts as a wizard of its ethergaunt level.

Etherblade recharge: An ethergaunt can recharge the normally unrechargable etherblade by sacrificing spell slots. The etherblade regains 1 charge for each level of the spell slot sacrificed. In addition, it gains an etherblade for free.

Total vision: An ethergaunt can “see” with his facial sensory organs, allowing them to discern all objects within 40ft. An ethergaunt does not need to do a spot or listen check to notice creatures within that range. A silence spell has no effect on this ability.

Stupefying Gaze: As a free action, the ethergaunt can open and close its mask, revealing his alien visage. Anyone within 30ft of the ethergaunt must make a will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+cha). Those who fail their will save take 1d4 point of either intelligence, wisdom or charisma damage. A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ethergaunt’s stupefying gaze for one day. An ethergaunt can use this ability 1/day, and gains another use per day for each 3 HD it gains.
    At 9th level, the ethergaunt gains the ability to do 1d4 point of intelligence, wisdom and charisma damage with this ability

Etheral Jaunt: The ethergaunt gains the ability to cast Etheral Jaunt as an SLA 1/day. Its caster level is equal to its HD.
    It gains another use of Etheral Jaunt at level 6 and level 8.

Ethergaunt Hide: The ethergaunt gains a spell resistance of 10+HD.

Enslave: once per day per 5 HD the ethergaunt has, it can attempt to enslave a single living creature within 30 feet. This ability functions like dominate monster, except that the effect is permanent and the subject can attempt a new will save each day to break free. An Ethergaunt can have a maximum of slaves equal to its charisma modifier.

Etheralness: The Ethergaunt becomes permanantly etheral. It needs a spell or ability to become material. An ethergaunt cannot use it's etheral Jaunt ability after gaining this ability.

Material Jaunt: As a standard action, the ethergaunt can shift from the ethereal plane to the material plane, effectively becoming material. They can dismiss this effect with a standard action. An ethergaunt can remain in the material plane for 1 round per HD it possesses.
    At 6 HD, an ethergaunt can use Material Jaunt as a move equivalent action.
    At 12 HD, an ethergaunt can use Material Jaunt as a swift action.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

Not a lot to say. The ethergaunt is a full caster, a wizard no less, and it is nearly always etheral, so it is hard to attack directly. To compensate, his really powerful abilities, Stupefying gaze and enslave, only show up at later levels. I removed the immunity to spells and replaced it with spell resistance, because immunity is usually either too strong or too weak, depending on who you fight.
    Also, I planned to do the white ethergaunt and black ethergaunt as well, and integrate them all into a single class, but the white and black ethergaunts don't really gain any spiffy new powers, they are basically just the red ethergaunt with better HD and stats. So if you want, you can consider any 13th level ethergaunt a white ethergaunt and any 17th level ethergaunt a black ethergaunt.
    Not sure if it's balanced, though.
    Last edited by I_am_an_undead; 2010-03-30 at 02:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Colossus in the Playground

I dunno about Ethergaunts as a player race, really. The thing that made them interesting was that even their middle casts are smarter than anything any other race could ever produce. Their top rank outsmart illithids, devils, ancient wyrms, elder brains and some gods. That's what makes them scary...
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Well, someone wanted an ethergaunt class, and I wanted to try making another one, because I really like the classes Oslecamo made and I wanted to contribute.
    Also, I don't mind critisism, but I'd rather have some on the actual class, instead of on the creature choice (which, again, was requested by someone else).

10. - Top - End - #310

Etherealness at level 1=NO! Very few monsters can bypass it. The ghost class was ethereal, but was still tied to a physicial body.

Etherealness should come at higher levels or create a really good drawback. Also nat armor should be based on int. Or not. It is a wizard after all.

The blade should come sooner. It's a rather weak weapon by itself, and wizards want to be casting spells and not swinging laser swords, so no big problem it even apearing at lv1.

From a fluff view, I guess that a good explanation is that ethergaunt class are "experiments", sending youngs that seem too weak/stupid to the material plane and tying them to it, so they either die or end up proving their worth and advancing the will of the ethergaunts.

Anyway, don't have the time right now, but if I_am_an_undead doesn't do it, I'll pick up the ethergaunt he posted and improve/expand it to encopass all 3 ethergaunts in the same monster class.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-30 at 01:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Anyway, don't have the time right now, but if I_am_an_undead doesn't do it, I'll pick up the ethergaunt he posted and improve/expand it to encopass all 3 ethergaunts in the same monster class.
    Oh, if you want to, please do so. I have no intention to make the other two Ethergaunts anyway.

Anyway, I just changed the order of the Ethergaunt's abilities for now. The etheralness makes a much nicer capstone ability than the etherbalde recharge. I might try to improve it some more later.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

First, i'd like to point out that this thread is pure awesome.
    Its so awesome that the long time lurker that i am decided to join just to try my hand at it.

So, I saw the salamander in the list and since there is a salamander in my campaign whose going to stay for 2 or 3 more sessions.

Here it is:
    Spoiler
    Show

HD:d8
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feature
    1 +1 +2 +0 +2 Salamander Body, +1 con
    2 +2 +3 +0 +3 Tail slap, multiattack, +1 str
    3 +3 +3 +1 +3 Heat, +1 str
    4 +4 +4 +1 +4 Constrict, +1 con
    5 +5 +4 +1 +4 Growth, Minor powers, +1 cha
    6 +6 +5 +2 +5 +1 str, +1 con
    7 +7 +5 +2 +5 Intermediate powers, +1 cha
    8 +8 +6 +2 +5 Heat, +1 str
    9 +9 +6 +3 +6 Growth, Major powers, +1 cha, +1 con
    4 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills: Craft, Escape artist, Hide, spot, listen, search, move silently, diplomacy, hide and sense motive.

Proficiencies: A Salamander is proficient with any armor and simple or martial weapons, it is also proficient whit its tail slap.

Features:

Salamander Body: The Salamander loses all other racial bonuses, and gains the outsider type and the fire subtype. It is a small outsider. The salamander loses his legs and acquires a powerful tail allowing him to move at a speed of 20ft. He cannot use boots and similar magical (or mundane) equipment anymore.
    The salamander also has a natural armor of 2+con modifier. His natural armor also go up by when whit every growth.
    Salamanders are immune to fire, but takes 50% more damage from cold attacks.
    A Salamander also as an innate +4 on any craft roll involving metal.

Tail slap: At level 2 the salamander can make a tail slap dealing 1d4 + str dmg. When he reaches medium size, the dmg passes to 2d6+str and at large size the dmg becomes 2d8+str

Multiattack: At level 2 the Salamander gain the multiattack feat even if he do not have the requisites of three natural weapons.

Heat: A Salamander generates so much heat that its mere touch deals additional fire damage. Salamander metallic weapons also conduct this heat. This ability can be suppressed and resumed as a simple action. At level 3 the heat deals 1d6 +str mod dmg. At level 8 the damage passes to 1d8 +str mod.

Constrict (Ex): A salamander deals automatic tail slap damage (including fire damage) whit a successful grapple check against creatures up to one size larger than itself. A large or larger salamander can constrict multiple creature simultaneously provided they are all at least two size smaller than it.

Growth: At level 5 the salamander grows to medium size. At level 9 the salamander grows to large size.

Salamander Powers: At level 5, the Salamander gain the ability to use the spell-like abilities Burning hands and flaming sphere a number of times per day equal to his hd/2. At level 7 he can also use fireball and wall of fire a number of times equal to hd/3. And at lvl 9 he gain the ability to use dispel magic and summon monster VII(huge fire elemental) a number of times equal to hd/4. All these abilities are as the spells cast by a sorcerer of the same level as the salamander hd (save DC 10 +cha mod +spell level)

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn’t get time to test it so I’m not really sure if it’s balanced, the biggest issue is the +str to the fire, which really mean double str on melee attacks.... so........

Also, it seem that I failed on tables..... I'll try to fix that soon

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

This is all really good. It would make running a monster campaign so much simpler. (I could see something like the goblins webcomic, and when you're done taking monster levels, you can take class levels) Maybe I'll put myself on the waiting list for Bodak and get onto it a little later. (Bodak's always been my favorite monster)
    Last edited by Corporate M; 2010-03-31 at 07:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314

Ethergaunt

Spoiler
    Show
    1|+ 0|+0 |+0 | +2 | Ethergaunt body, Arcane mind, Ether Blade, Blue Caste, Obsession, +1 Int
    2|+ 1|+ 0|+0 | +3 |Total vision, +1 Int
    4|+ 2|+ 1|+1 | +4 |Ethergaunt hide, +1 Int
    5|+ 2|+ 1|+1 | +4 |Enslave
    6|+ 3|+ 2|+2 | +5 |+1Cha, +1 Int
    7|+ 3|+ 2|+2 | +5 |Arcane Adept
    8|+ 4|+ 2|+2 | +6 |Craft Mind Bomb, +1 Int
    9|+ 4|+ 3|+3 | +6 |Red Caste, Etherealness, material jaunt
    10|+5 |+ 3|+3 | +7 |Arcane Engineer, +1 Cha
    11|+5|+ 3|+ 3| +7 |Arcane Genius, +1 Int
    12|+ 6|+ 4|+4 | +8 | Arcane Inspiration, +1 Int
    13|+ 6|+ 4|+4 | +8 |White Caste +1 Int, +1 Cha
    14|+ 7|+ 4|+4 | +9 |Arcane Master, +1 Int
    15|+ 7|+5 |+ 5| +9 | Arcane Authority, +1 Int, +1 Cha
    16|+ 8|+ 5|+ 5| +10 |Arcane power, +1 Int, +1 Cha
    17|+8|+ 5|+5 | +10| Black Caste, Supreme Mind, +1 Int,

[/table]
    Skills: 2+int modifier. An ethergaunt’s class skills are Concentration (con), Heal (wis), Knowledge (any) (int), Listen (wis), Move silently (dex), Spellcraft (int), Spot (wis) and Survival (wis)

Weapon and armor proficiencies: An ethergaunt is only proficient with the Ether Blade and Mind Bombs.

Features:
    Ethergaunt Body: At first level, the ethergaunt loses all other racial bonuses and gains aberration traits (basically darkvision 60 foot). It is a medium-sized aberration with a base speed of 30ft. It has no natural attacks.

Ability increase: The ethergaunt gains a permanent +1 at levels:
    1,2,4,6 ,8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 to Intelegence

6, 10, 13, 15, 16 to Charisma.

Arcane Mind: The ethergaunt casts as a wizard of its ethergaunt level. This spellcasting stacks with wizard levels if the ethergaunt multiclasses.

Ether Blade: At 1st level you receive an Ether Blade, an extremely advanced weapon created and mass produced by the Ethergaunt. All Ether Blades are masterwork weapons.

An etherblade looks line a exceptionaly perfect long metal tube. It may or not have handles and decorations depending on the ethergaunt city that produced it and the customization of the wielder.

It must be wielded with both hands and has 50 charges. The user needs to have at least 4 ranks in concentration to use it. Concentrating on the right way causes the Etherblade to shoot a ray of force as a ranged touch attack dealing 1d6 damage that drains a charge from the Etherblade. An Etherblade whitout charges can't be fired. For each extra 2 ranks of concentration you have, the damage increases by an extra 1d6. The range is 40 foot and can be incremented up to ten times as normal ranged weapons.

As long as the Ether Blade has one charge, it can project a short blade at one of the tips as a swift action, becoming a melee weapon that deals 1d12 slashing damage. It counts as magic for bypassing DR and affects ethereal creatures as if it was a force effect. For each extra 2 ranks of concentration, the damage increases by an extra 1d12. Another swift action is needed to turn it back into "firing" mode.

Otherwise the etherblade can be enchanted as a normal weapon, altough most ethergaunts prefer to focus their resources on spellcasting.

Ether blades automatically recover 1 lost charge per hour.

Blue Caste:Your parent was a specially weak individual, and thus you belong to the blue caste, at the bottom of ethergaunt society. You receive a special opaque blue mask wich you must wear at all times, but it doesn't hinder your senses in any way. Failure to do so means you cannot further progress the ethereal monster class untill you sucessfully atonne to the ethergaunt society.

Obsession:An ethergaunt cannot cast spells defensively as their advanced brains completely focus on magic when doing it. An ethergaunt can still make concentration checks to keep his spells when damaged.

Total vision: An ethergaunt can “see” with his facial sensory organs, allowing them to discern all objects within 40ft. An ethergaunt does not need to do a spot or listen check to notice creatures within that range. A silence spell has no effect on this ability.

Stupefying Gaze: As a free action, the ethergaunt can open and close its mask, revealing his alien visage. Anyone within 30ft of the ethergaunt must make a will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+cha). Those who fail their will save take 1d4 point of either intelligence, wisdom or charisma damage(ethergaunt's choice). A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ethergaunt’s stupefying gaze for one day. An ethergaunt can use this ability 1/day, and gains another use per day for each extra 3 HD it gains. An ethergaunt whitout mask cannot use this ability. Like all gaze attacks, the oponent must be able to see the ethergaunt for this ability to work.

At 9th level, the ethergaunt gains the ability to do 1d4 point of intelligence, wisdom and charisma damage with this ability

At 18HD, the damage increases to 1d6.

Ethergaunt Hide: The ethergaunt gains a spell resistance of 11+HD.

Enslave: once per day per 5 HD the ethergaunt has, it can attempt to enslave a single living creature within 30 feet. This ability functions like dominate monster, except that the effect is permanent, the save DC is 10+1/2HD+Cha mod and the subject can attempt a new will save each day to break free. An Ethergaunt can have a maximum of slaves equal to its charisma modifier.

Arcane adept:The Ethergaunt's advanced arcane mind allows him to effortlessly dismiss magic effects. They can choose to treat any arcane spell or 1st level or lower cast on them as if failing to penetrate their SR. This ability doesn't affect divine spells, as the ethergaunts refuse to believe in gods and ideals, only science and arcane.

For each two extra HD, this ability grants protection from the next level of spells. 2nd level spells at 9 HD, 3rd level spells at 11HD, ect

Craft Mind Bomb:
    By expending 50 GP of exotic materials and 1 hour, the ethergaunt can build a special grenade with 10 foot range that deals 1d6 Wis damage damage on a 10 foot spread, Fort DC 15 negates. The save DC can be increased by 1 by expending an extra 50GP and hour of work. This improvement can be done multiple times if enough resources and time are available. Ethergaunts are naturally immune to mind bombs.

In adition, the ethergaunt learns how to craft Ether Blades by expending 500 GP and 24 hours of work for each.

Altough it's fine to hand those weapons to allies/minions, ethergaunt society will hunt and punish any member who tries to sell those weapons for pure profit, the reason why there's no market price for them.

Red Caste:
    The Ethergaunt rises to the red caste as recognitizion for its talent. He receives a new red mask he must wear at all times and all blue ethergaunts are one step more friendly to him than they would otherwise be.

Etheralness: The Ethergaunt becomes permanantly etheral as his artificial bonds to the material plane are cut. It needs a spell or ability to become material.

Material Jaunt:As a standard action, the ethergaunt can shift from the ethereal plane to the material plane, effectively becoming material. They can dismiss this effect with a standard action. An ethergaunt can remain in the material plane for 1 round per HD it possesses. It then must remaing 1 hour on the ethereal plane before returning.

At 12 HD, an ethergaunt can use Material Jaunt as a move equivalent action and he must only wait 10 minutes before using it again.

At 15 HD, an ethergaunt can use Material Jaunt as a swift action and must only wait 1 minute before using it again.

At 18HD it can use it as an immediate action and can remain as long as he wants in the material plane, and doesn't need to "recharge".

Arcane Engineer:
    The ethergaunt may use his own CL when he uses magic items that replicate spells, like wands and scrolls. In adition, he may add his Int bonus to the DC of such items.

Arcane Genius: The ethergaunt receives a bonus metamagic or item creation feat. Each morning, the ethergaunt can swap that bonus feat for other he meets the pre-requisites, as long as he meets the pre-requisites for all his other feats.

Arcane Inspiration:
    A number of times per day equal to his Cha modifier, the Ethergaunt gains an extra swift action that can only be used to cast swift action spells. The ethergaunt can't get more than one extra swift action per turn with this ability.

White Caste:
    The ethergaunt is promoted to the white caste and receives the respective white mask. All red and blue ethergaunts treat him two steps friendlier than they would otherwise.

Arcane Master:
    All metamagic costs for the ethergaunt are reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1.

Arcane Authority:
    The ethergaunt receives a second bonus metamagic or item creation feat. At each morning, the ethergaunt can fully swap any and all metamagic and/or item creation feats he knows for others, as long as he meets the pre-requisites for all of them.

Arcane power:The ethergaunt can change the complex preparations for a spell in fractions of seconds. A number of times per day equal to his Cha modifier, he can sacrifice one of his spells to spontaneously cast any spell he knows of the same level or lower. He can apply metamagic to that spells whitout increasing the casting time.

Black Caste:
    The ethergaunt is promoted to the supreme ruler Black Caste, and receives the respective black mask. All red, blue and white ethergaunts treat him three steps friendlier than they would otherwise.

Supreme Mind:
    The ethergaunt can now cast two standard action spells with a single standard action, a number of times equal to his Cha modifier.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ah, the ethergaunts. Lords of Arcane Magic.

Well, first of all, they're full wizards, and they get a whooping +12 bonus to Int, so that alone makes them pretty strong.

However, competing with wizard isn't enough. You gotta compete with all the wizard prcs out there. So the ethergaunt gets a bunch of extra abilities, some of them from the original monsters, and then some extra created by me. Most of them based on charisma to make it a little more MAD and because ethergaunts aren't suposed to be closet nerds whitout social skills. They love bullying other races for Vecna's sake!

At the lower levels the Ethergaunt has the Obsession drawback, wich makes him unable to cast defensively.

The cast thingies are semi-based on the fluff, and they're indeed mostly fluff abilities, since the DM may not be bothered to include other ethergaunts on the campaign, but you get plenty of other abilities to make up for it.

As a final note, buffed the Ether Blade to a combat worthy weapon, wich also makes the Ethergaunt a dip for some kind of laser force sword/rifle build.

Thanks for I_am_an_undead for doing the red ethergaunt wich motivated me to do the whole thing.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-28 at 09:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315

I was supposed to be working on this project, oops. Haven't checked in for a while, I've just skimmed through the thread since I last posted right now. I'll be getting on to those giants in the next week, hopefully.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2010-04-06 at 06:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316

Ethergaunt

Spoiler
    Show
    1|+ 0|+0 |+0 | +2 | Ethergaunt body, Arcane mind, Ether Blade, Blue Caste, +1 Int
    2|+ 1|+ 0|+0 | +3 |Total vision, +1 Int
    4|+ 2|+ 1|+1 | +4 |Ethergaunt hide, +1 Int
    5|+ 2|+ 1|+1 | +4 |Enslave
    6|+ 3|+ 2|+2 | +5 |+1Cha, +1 Int
    7|+ 3|+ 2|+2 | +5 |Arcane Adept
    8|+ 4|+ 2|+2 | +6 |Craft Mind Bomb, +1 Int
    9|+ 4|+ 3|+3 | +6 |Red Caste, Etherealness, material jaunt
    10|+5 |+ 3|+3 | +7 |Arcane Engineer, +1 Cha
    11|+ 5+ 3|+ 3| +7 |Arcane Genius, +1 Int
    12|+ 6|+ 4|+4 | +8 | Arcane Inspiration, +1 Int
    13|+ 6|+ 4|+4 | +8 |White Caste +1 Int, +1 Cha
    14|+ 7|+ 4|+4 | +9 |Arcane Master, +1 Int
    15|+ 7|+5 |+ 5| +9 | Arcane Authority, +1 Int, +1 Cha
    16|+ 8|+ 5|+ 5| +10 |Arcane power, +1 Int, +1 Cha
    17|+8 |+ 5|+5 | +10| Black Caste, Supreme Mind, +1 Int,

[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: An ethergaunt is only proficient with the Ether Blade and Mind Bombs.

Features:
    Ethergaunt Body: At first level, the ethergaunt loses all other racial bonuses and gains aberration traits (basically darkvision 60 foot). It is a medium-sized aberration with a base speed of 30ft. It has no natural attacks, but has a natural armor rating equal to its cha modifier.

Ability increase: The ethergaunt gains a permanent +1 at levels:
    1,2,4,6 ,8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 to Intelegence

6, 10, 13, 15, 16 to Charisma.

Arcane Mind: The ethergaunt casts as a wizard of its ethergaunt level. This spellcasting stacks with wizard levels if the ethergaunt multiclasses.

Ether Blade: At 1st level you receive an Ether Blade, an extremely advanced weapon created and mass produced by the Ethergaunt.

An etherblade looks line a exceptionaly perfect long metal tube. It may or not have handles and decorations depending on the ethergaunt city that produced it and the customization of the wielder.

It must be wielded with both hands and has 50 charges. The user needs to have at least 4 ranks in concentration to use it. Concentrating on the right way causes the Etherblade to shoot a ray of force as a ranged touch attack dealing 1d6 damage. For each extra 2 ranks of concentration you have, the damage increases by an extra 1d6.

As long as the Ether Blade has one charge, it can project a short blade at one of the tips, becoming a melee weapon that deals 1d12 damage. It counts as magic for bypassing DR and affects ethereal creatures as if it was a force effect. For each extra 2 ranks of concentration, the damage increases by an extra 1d12.

Otherwise the etherblade can be enchanted as a normal weapon, altough most ethergaunts prefer to focus their resources on spellcasting.

Ether blades automatically recover 1 lost charge per hour.

Blue Caste:Your parent was a specially weak individual, and thus you belong to the blue caste, at the bottom of ethergaunt society. You receive a special opaque blue mask wich you must wear at all times, but it doesn't hinder your senses in any way. Failure to do so means you cannot further progress the ethereal monster class untill you sucessfully atonne to the ethergaunt society.

Stupefying Gaze: As a free action, the ethergaunt can open and close its mask, revealing his alien visage. Anyone within 30ft of the ethergaunt must make a will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+cha). Those who fail their will save take 1d4 point of either intelligence, wisdom or charisma damage(ethergaunt's choice). A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ethergaunt’s stupefying gaze for one day. An ethergaunt can use this ability 1/day, and gains another use per day for each extra 3 HD it gains. An ethergaunt whitout mask cannot use this ability.

At 18HD, the damage increases to 1d6.

Ethergaunt Hide: The ethergaunt gains a spell resistance of 11+HD.

Enslave: once per day per 5 HD the ethergaunt has, it can attempt to enslave a single living creature within 30 feet. This ability functions like dominate monster, except that the effect is permanent, the save DC is 10+1/2HD+Cha mod and the subject can attempt a new will save each day to break free. An Ethergaunt can have a maximum of slaves equal to its charisma modifier.

Arcane adept:The Ethergaunt's advanced arcane mind allows him to effortlessly dismiss magic effects. They can choose to treat any arcane spell or 1st level or lower cast on them as if failing to penetrate their SR. This ability doesn't affect divine spells, as the ethergaunts refuse to believe in gods and ideals, only science and arcane.

For each two extra HD, this ability grants protection from the next level of spells. 2nd level spells at 9 HD, 3rd level spells at 11HD, ect

Craft Mind Bomb:
    By expending 50 GP of exotic materials and 1 hour, the ethergaunt can build a special grenade with 10 foot range that deals 1d6 Wis damage damage on a 10 foot spread, Fort DC 15 negates. The save DC can be increased by 1 by expending an extra 50GP and hour of work. This improvement can be done multiple times if enough resources and time are available. Ethergaunts are naturally immune to mind bombs.

In adition, the ethergaunt learns how to craft Ether Blades by expending 500 GP and 24 hours of work for each.

Altough it's fine to hand those weapons to allies/minions, ethergaunt society will hunt and punish any member who tries to sell those weapons for pure profit, the reason why there's no market price for them.

Red Caste:
    The Ethergaunt rises to the red caste as recognitizion for its talent. He receives a new red mask he must wear at all times and all blue ethergaunts are one step more friendly to him than they would otherwise be.

Etheralness: The Ethergaunt becomes permanantly etheral as his artificial bonds to the material plane are cut. It needs a spell or ability to become material.

Material Jaunt:As a standard action, the ethergaunt can shift from the ethereal plane to the material plane, effectively becoming material. They can dismiss this effect with a standard action. An ethergaunt can remain in the material plane for 1 round per HD it possesses. It then must remaing 1 hour on the ethereal plane before returning.

At 12 HD, an ethergaunt can use Material Jaunt as a move equivalent action and he must only wait 10 minutes before using it again.

At 15 HD, an ethergaunt can use Material Jaunt as a swift action and must only wait 1 minute before using it again.

At 18HD it can use it as an immediate action and can remain as long as he wants in the material plane, and doesn't need to "recharge".

Arcane Engineer:
    The ethergaunt may use his own CL when he uses magic items that replicate spells, like wands and scrolls. In adition, he may add his Int bonus to the DC of such items.

Arcane Genius: The ethergaunt receives a bonus metamagic or item creation feat. Each morning, the ethergaunt can swap that bonus feat for other he meets the pre-requisites, as long as he meets the pre-requisites for all his other feats.

Arcane Inspiration:
    A number of times per day equal to his Cha modifier, the Ethergaunt gains an extra swift action that can only be used to cast swift action spells. The ethergaunt can't get more than one extra swift action per turn with this ability.

White Caste:
    The ethergaunt is promoted to the white caste and receives the respective white mask. All red and blue ethergaunts treat him two steps friendlier than they would otherwise.

Arcane Caster:
    All metamagic costs for the ethergaunt are reduced by 1, to a minimum of 0.

Arcane Authority:
    The ethergaunt receives a second bonus metamagic or item creation feat. At each morning, the ethergaunt can fully swap any and all metamagic and/or item creation feats he knows for others, as long as he meets the pre-requisites for all of them.

Arcane power:The ethergaunt can change the complex preparations for a spell in fractions of seconds. A number of times per day equal to his Cha modifier, he can sacrifice one of his spells to spontaneously cast any spell he knows of the same level or lower. He can apply metamagic to that spells whitout increasing the casting time.

Black Caste:
    The ethergaunt is promoted to the supreme ruler Black Caste, and receives the respective black mask. All red, blue and white ethergaunts treat him three steps friendlier than they would otherwise.

Supreme Mind:
    The ethergaunt can now cast two standard action spells with a single standard action, a number of times equal to his Cha modifier.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ah, the ethergaunts. Lords of Arcane Magic.

Well, first of all, they're full wizards, and they get a whooping +12 bonus to Int, so that alone makes them pretty strong.

However, competing with wizard isn't enough. You gotta compete with all the wizard prcs out there. So the ethergaunt gets a bunch of extra abilities, some of them from the original monsters, and then some extra created by me. Most of them based on charisma to make it a little more MAD and because ethergaunts aren't suposed to be closet nerds whitout social skills. They love bullying other races for Vecna's sake!

The cast thingies are semi-based on the fluff, and they're indeed mostly fluff abilities, since the DM may not be bothered to include other ethergaunts on the campaign, but you get plenty of other abilities to make up for it.

As a final note, buffed the Ether Blade to a combat worthy weapon, wich also makes the Ethergaunt a dip for some kind of laser force sword/rifle build.

Thanks for I_am_an_undead for doing the red ethergaunt wich motivated me to do the whole thing.
    Could we get a green slaad like this? Green becomes grey becomes death, then white and black, IIRC.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Pixie in the Playground

Can I request the Movanic Deva?

18. - Top - End - #318

MindFlayer

Can haz Titan and/or tarrasque (like that hasn't been asked for...)

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

snip
    Control Shape should be a class skill.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

These are pretty good.

I've done a few of these myself, albeit before I stumbled onto this thread.though for the Pathfinder powerlevel instead of 3.5.

A few questions about the design decision. Why isn't there a base race for these guy prior to levels? I can see it in the case of some Templates, but not as much for the actual Races.

For what it may be worth to anyone here, the approach I took is:

For every Monstrous Race:
    Base Race: This is on par with all other races. You need this one to qualify for the Monster Class. If a race has drawbacks as well as positives, you take all of those up front.
    Level Progression: You gain levels, which are set to be the same power level as player races.

For Acquired Templates:
    A) If Possible - a Template that has negatives equaling positives. This works for things like Vampire, which have a large number of drawbacks. You can apply the template to a creature and not have to worry about changing the player's CR.
    B) Else - Like you've done here, with the stipulation that the player gaining the template loses a level (if the template was forced on them), or that it lays dormant until they gain a level and they HAVE to take the first level in the template class.

For Inherited Templates:
    Like above, except they obviously cant start at level -1.

As General Guidelines:
    Immunities: Turned into resistances unless it was completely illogical to do so, for the sake of making it playable. The amount sometimes scaled up into immunity at the high end of the CR, but not usually.
    DR: Tried to limit DR by character level. A third level character with DR 10 is a huge problem.
    SR: As above. It needs to be limited. Some of them started with a Dwarf-like magic resistance which turns into SR later.
    At Will: Most of these become x/day, which increase.
    For spell-like monsters, Casts as X is a good approach.

I just might start one of these threads for PFRPG if there isnt one already. I've lurked here alot, but this is my first post here. Usually I haunt ENWorld.

Thoughts/criticisms?
    Last edited by Darkholme; 2010-04-13 at 01:20 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Control Shape should be a class skill.
    The lycanthropes have control of their transformations, so the control shape skill is unneeded

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

22. - Top - End - #322

thanks for the etherguants, I'd like to request the clusterfang/deepspawn from monsters of faerun.

23. - Top - End - #323

I just read the Pathfinder Bestiary and saw the rules on playing monsters, it's simply use the challenge rating as the LA, and HD are not added in this reguard.

24. - Top - End - #324

Real life and other projects geting on the way, so really no time to make new monsters. Just droping to answer some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkholme View Post
    A few questions about the design decision. Why isn't there a base race for these guy prior to levels? I can see it in the case of some Templates, but not as much for the actual Races.
    First, a lot of creatures just don't feel right being a race. Vasuthant? Dragoone? The true dragons?

Then I would need to give stuff for those races to feel unique and worth playing, while keeping away combo potential, and that isn't exactly easy when I then need to do the monster class itself.

So, it would take a lot of work to get those done in a way that would satisfy me. But my time is limited, and making a race for each of those would basicaly double my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkholme View Post
    Thoughts/criticisms?
    A lot of those look like my own personal guidelines. But to be honest, PF and D&D's power levels aren't that diferent. Magic still rules the jungle, melee gained some nice tricks and lost others. PF it's more of...Diferent than stronger or weaker power-level wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante & Vergil View Post
    I just read the Pathfinder Bestiary and saw the rules on playing monsters, it's simply use the challenge rating as the LA, and HD are not added in this reguard.
    Not exactly. PF tells the monster player that it needs to pick up extra levels as the party grows because of nonscaling monster abilities. And then ends with noting that the DM still needs to keep a close watch for abuseable monsters. So you can use CR as LA, but don't expect it to work smoothly.

Crafty Cultist:Thanks for pointing that out. Sure I could create some custom "get out of control" system, but then who would want to adventure with a dude wich can sudenly go on a rampage against his own allies? The ghoul will be happy as long as you keep it feeded. Just assume the class skill is there and you get free ranks or something like that. No need to complicate.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-04-13 at 02:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Also, the benefit of this system not having a race prerequisite is it allows for magic and the like to transform PCs into this.

Or, say, if I get bitten by a vampire or tainted by a ghoul, it leaves that avenue open without the complications of minmaxing race choices.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm. Well, you wouldn't have a race for templates, only actual races.

This way works but it looks like it's merging your race with your first level in the case of anything you can start with, since it says you no longer have a race.

I think this system is great for templates, except that it requires you take away a level from the PC to give them the template (or they dont acquire it until a levelup).

==========================

I would agree that some of them don't work as well as player races without levels, but for many it would be an improvement.

having done a handful the way I mentioned, the LA 0 race before the class is about as much work as designing one level IN a class. it also means you can turn someone into the monster easily. Just remove their race, and add the new one.

In the case of templates, the base template is either +-0 making it not change your level at all (a no-hassle template for the DM), or in cases that isn't possible, done the way you did them here.

==============================

The pathfinder power level is a bit higher. Classes are a little bit tougher (UK's CR guide makes them out to be about 1.15x the power of the core 3.5 classes), so every 7 PFRPG levels are like 8 D&D3.5 levels.

So a Level 20 PFRPG Character is roughly the equivalent of 23 D&D3.5.

Core PF Races are also on the low side of LA+1.

So while not a really big power boost, it's still a boost.

=============================

Alright, well. I like the idea. Not quite a fan of the level breakdown, however I think it works pretty good for a bunch of the templates. For races, less so.

I'll end up making base races and racial classes for my own game, but wanted to compliment the concepts you have going here. They're more Savage Species than I'd like though. :P

I want the option of the 1st level Satyr Bard/Druid/Sorcerer, as opposed to having to start at level 2.

If anyone wants to do the PF Edition Monsters in the other thread with me, awesome. Otherwise, I guess I'll be mostly using them myself. :P
    Last edited by Darkholme; 2010-04-15 at 06:52 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

Is it too late for requests, because I've always wanted to play a Blink-Dog.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've decided to have a go at this, so here's the Gynospinx:

Gynosphinx

Spoiler
    Show

Hit Die: d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Features
    1|+0|+2|+2|+2|Sphinx body, +1 Con, Lore
    2|+1|+3|+3|+3|+1 Wis, Rake, Minor Enigma
    3|+2|+3|+3|+3|+1 Str, Speed boost
    4|+3|+4|+4|+4|+1 Wis, Growth, Pounce
    5|+3|+4|+4|+4|+1 Con, Major Enigma
    6|+4|+5|+5|+5|+1 Wis, Flight
    7|+5|+5|+5|+5|+1 Wis, Speed boost
    8|+6/1|+6|+6|+6|+1 Wis, Symbolist
    [/table]
    Skills: 6+Int mod. Class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (all, taken separately), Listen, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spot, Spellcraft

Proficiencies: A gynosphinx is proficient only with it’s claws.

Features

Sphinx Body: At 1st level, the gynosphinx loses all other racial bonus and gets magical beast traits (Darkvision 60ft and low-light vision). It’s a medium magical beast with a base speed of 30ft. The gynosphinx has 2 natural claw attacks, both dealing 1d4+Str mod damage. The Gynosphinx gets a Nat armor bonus equal to her Con modifier. Additionally, a gynosphinx that multiclasses with a spellcasting class can count her gynosphinx levels as levels of that class for determining CL, spells per day and spells known, if applicable. The gynosphinx can use her Wisdom score instead of her Int mod for Decipher Script, Knowledge and Spellcraft checks.

Lore: At 1st level, the Gynosphinx gains the ability to know legends or information regarding various topics, just as a bard can with bardic knowledge. The Gynosphinx adds half her HD and her Wisdom modifier to the lore check, which functions otherwise exactly like a bardic knowledge check.

Rake: When in a grapple, the Gynosphinx can make another 2 claw attacks at its highest base attack bonus, dealing 1d6+1/2 Str mod damage.

Minor Enigma: At 2nd level, the Gynosphinx can use detect magic, read magic, see invisibility once a day per 2 HD it has, and comprehend languages and locate object once a day per 4 HD it has.

Speed Boost: At 3rd level, the Gynosphinx gains +10 base land speed. It gains another 10ft at 7th level.

Growth: At 4th level, the Gynosphinx grows to Large size. Her claws now deal 1d6+Str mod damage.

Pounce: At 4th level, the Gynosphinx can make a full attack at the end of a charge.

Major Enigma: At 5th level, the Gynosphinx can cast dispel magic, remove curse, legend lore once a day as well as clairaudience/clairvoyance once a day per 5HD it has. DC=10+1/2HD+Wis modifier.

Flight: At 6th level, the Gynosphinx can fly at a speed of 5ft per HD it has. She has poor manoeuvrability.

Symbolist: At 8th level, the Gynosphinx can create a symbol of death, a symbol of fear, a symbol of insanity, a symbol of pain, a symbol of persuasion, a symbol of sleep, and a symbol of stunning once a week per 6HD it has. DC=12+1/2HD+Wis modifier.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2010-05-12 at 11:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    Hm. A few criticisms:
    • Gynosphinx - The latin prefix Gyn- (ie. 'Gyno') means 'woman'. Gynosphinx is like 'she-sphinx', and you refer to it as a 'he' in the section about natural armor. A little odd.
    • You also refer to it as a mind flayer under 'sphinx body'.
    • The spell-likes don't scale, as far as I can tell. A big part of Oslecamo's project is having abilities that will be worth using when you're say, a Gynosphinx8/Archivist12.
    • Similarly, consider allowing sphinx levels to stack with caster classes, as they're magic users, kinda.
    • Abilities need a few more details - what maneuverability of flight?
    • The abilities seem to consistently come later than they'd be useful. This is just my opinion, but many of the abilities are ones I feel like I could pick up earlier, like pounce and flight. I'm not sure it brings enough to the table at any given level, aside from the huge leap forward in effectiveness on levels 4 (combat boost) and 5 (suddenly, lots of symbols at spell levels 5-7).

I might suggest a few abilities or traits outside the general Gynosphinx Monster Manual entry, to round it out. Given that they are very intelligent creatures that like knowledge and riddles (and devouring ignorants), perhaps a bonus to knowledge or spellcraft (and/or an inclusion of such in their skill list) and/or a feature that leverages those skills would help round them out. They get a whole bunch of bonuses to INT, WIS and CHA, but it's more flavor than stuff they can really leverage.

Edit: Now that I think about it, for power & proper scaling with levels, I might consider swapping Major Enigma with Symbolist, if you didn't want to have a progression of symbol acquisition (like, gaining some weaker symbols earlier, and more with time). This makes it so you gain some 4th level spells in your mid levels and 5th-7th level spells later. Most of all, this gives the Sphinx a better 'capstone'.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-04-18 at 04:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

This is really more of an exercise than anything. I'm not so strong on the homebrew stuff. Expecting a lot of criticism on this one and looking forward to hearing what I can improve. Then again the class isn't very imaginative. Still, I'm sure I managed to mess something up.

BLINKDOG

The Racials
    Spoiler
    Show

Blink Dog Racial Statistics

* +2 Dexterity: Blink dogs are incredibly nimble and agile creatures.
    * Medium: As Medium creatures, blinkdogs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * Magical Beast
    * Blinkdogs base land speed is 40 feet.
    * Blinkdogs have tough hides which protects them from harm. A blinkdog has a bonus to his natural armor equal to his constitution modifier
    * Scent: A Blinkdog can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.
    * Low-Light Vision. A blinkdog can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    * Darkvision: Blinkdogs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and blinkdogs can function just fine with no light at all.
    * Natural Bite Attack (1d6)
    * Blink Dogs do not possess limbs capable of fine manipulation or wielding weapons.
    * Automatic Language: Blink Dog. Bonus Languages: None (Blink dogs are incapable of speech and can speak only their own language, a mixture of barks, yaps, whines, and growls that can transmit complex information.)
    * Favored Class: Blinkdog. When determining whether a multiclass blinkdog takes an experience point penalty, his or her blinkdog class levels do not count.

The Class
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Die: d10
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Features
    1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Blink, +1 Dex, +1 Wis
    2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Dimension Door, +1 Dex, +1 Wis

[/table]
    Skills: 4+Int mod. Class skills are A Blinkdogs class skills are Hide, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Swim.

Proficiencies: A blinkdog is proficient with its own natural weapons.

Features

Blink: Blink dogs have the ability to travel to and from the ethereal plane for brief bursts of time, because of this blink dogs often appear to be winking in and out of existence. A blink dog can use blink as a spell like ability 1/day for each HD it possesses. Using this ability requires a move action. When a Blinkdog reaches 5 HD he can use this ability as a free action. The caster for this effect is the blinkdog’s HD

Ability Increase: A blinkdog receives a permanent increase to his Dexterity and Wisdom scores at first and second level.

Dimension Door: Blinkdogs are masters of dimensional movement and can leap from one point to another in the blink of an eye. A blink dog can use Dimension Door as a spell-like ability 1/day for each HD it possesses. Using this ability requires a move action. At 8 HD this ability can be used as a free action. The caster for this effect is the blinkdog’s HD

Changed the racial stats to include the magical beast-thing and changed the natural armor bonus to the con score like is traditional for oslecamo's work.

Blinkdog body was not included because it wasn't needed. The reason I left that out is because I included a race. Which I prefer to the first level of the class erasing your racials. (No offense oslecamo, your stuff is awesome.)

The ability increases are from blinkdog itself. I'm not sure where I remember this from but I think there is a rule for determining racial ability bonuses from a monster and that was to subtract 10 or 11 from the value listed. The only stats that are increase for a blinkdog are Dexterity and Wisdom

Dex 17 - 11 = 6
    Wis 13 - 11 = 2

That and if I didn't do that, the blink dog class would be a little empty don't you think?

I'm going to trust that the more experienced people are right and change the stat bumps to +1 dex at each level. (thats you oslecamo and hyudra) I changed the dimension door/blink to 1/day for each HD.

But to me the class seems a little weak now. would be alright to give the creature the full bab and good fort that is appropriate for magical beasts?
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-04-19 at 03:55 PM.