New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    What type of weapon is the shardblade or can it be any slashing weapon?
    Any type if I'm reading correctly. It even gives you proficiency with it.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Any one slashing weapon of your choice. Yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's another one from me

The Lich
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites
    to become a lich, the character must meet the following requirements

Feats: Craft wondrous item
    Spells: Able to cast Spells
    Special: Must create a Phylactery. See page 168 of the monster manual for the requirements a lich must meet to construct its phylactery.
    HD:d12
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Fell magic, Dark touch, Undying body

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Dark refuge, Fell defense, Undying terror, Improved dark touch[/table]
    Skills: 2+int mod. A lich has no class skills

Proficiencies: A Lich gains proficiency with their dark touch

Features:

Undying Body:Unlike other monster classes, the Lich doesn't lose his racial ability modifiers, but he does gain undead traits:
    Spoiler
    Show
    * No Constitution score.
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    * Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    * Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    * Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    * Heals naturaly.
    * Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    * Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    * Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed, unless it has activated it's fast healing ability.
    * Not affected by Raise Dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and True Resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
    * Liches don't need to breath, eat, or sleep. However, a Lich may do any of the three if desired.

In addition, a lich gains a natural armor bonus equal to the ability bonus they use for spellcasting and all current and future hit dice become d12s

Fell Magic: An lich who takes further levels in a spellcasting class can count his lich levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a lich 2 wizard 11 who took another level of wizard could choose to have CL 14, get 1 6th level spell slot, and 1 7th level slot. He wouldn't get the spell slots of a wizard 12 however.

Dark Touch: A lich gains a touch attack that deals damage equal to 1d8+ the lich's ability bonus to the ability score it's spellcasting is based on. a lich with multiple spellcasting classes uses the class with the highest ability bonus.

Dark Refuge: At second level, a lich Gains the ability to retreat into their phylactery when their body is destroyed. While in it's phylactery, a lich can see and hear out to a radius of 120ft but cannot take any actions. After 1d10 days, the lich will form a new body near its phylactery that is identical to its previous form.

Fell Defense: At second level, the unholy magic that animates the lich begins to ward off certain attacks. They gain electricity resistance, cold resistance, and a bonus on saves against polymorphing equal to their hit dice. they also gain an equal amount of damage reduction/magic and bludgeoning

Undying Terror: A second level lich gains an aura of fear that effects any creatures in a 60ft. A creature with fewer HD than the lich must make a will save(DC10+1/2HD+the lich's spellcasting ability modifier) or be shaken for 1 round per HD of the lich. If the creature has fewer than half the liches HD(rounded down), then the creature becomes panicked instead and is still shaken for 1 round on a successful saving throw. a creature that makes a successful saving throw is immune to this ability for 24 hours

Improved Dark Touch: Any creature hit by the dark touch of a second level lich must make a fortitude saving throw(DC10+1/2HD+spellcasting ability mod)
    or become paralyzed. This paralysis last until removed, either by a remove paralysis spell or magic that can remove a curse. The paralyzed creature appears dead but a DC20 spot check or a DC15 heal check will reveal the creature is still alive

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    When making the lich it took a while to decide how to handle the spellcasting. In the end I went with the same method used for other monsters designed to multiclass into spellcasting classes. I also made their fear aura more useful, so it can affect creatures above 6HD. Undead dont normally receive class skills, but the cost of the phylactery should balance it out

I think I might do the epic levels of this prestige class next
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2010-05-15 at 03:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

4. - Top - End - #394

My initial concern regarding the Lich would be the unlimited self healing by delivering the touch attack on itself, coupled with the virtual immortality of the phylactery.

I might suggest giving it some spell like abilities to make it seem like more of a caster.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-05-15 at 12:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    My initial concern regarding the Lich would be the unlimited self healing by delivering the touch attack on itself, coupled with the virtual immortality of the phylactery.

I might suggest giving it some spell like abilities to make it seem like more of a caster.
    I changed the touch attack so it can't use it on itself.

A spellcaster who becomes a lich will normally do so to make themselves more durable, so the class abilities are mostly defensive in nature

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    I changed the touch attack so it can't use it on itself.
    Actualy the lich's touch attack is untyped damage. It says it's based on negative energy but it doesn't actualy deal negative energy damage. Otherwise it's a necromancer's wet dream allowing them to heal undead minions for free. K, the dread necro can do it, but the dread necro is balaced by it's limited spell list.

Also the fear aura must state that creatures that save against it become immune to it for 24 hours, otherwise it's kinda an hassle on the party and also damn powerfull when you're hiting your oponents with it every turn for free.

Also please remove the class skills, as I feel it's kinda unfair to the skeleton, ghoul and mummy. Undead traits plus the other goodies should more than offset a few skill points lost.

Otherwise very nice work. Altough personaly I say demilich can wait. Epic stuff is hard to make and it would demand a character of at least lv21 to take it, and then go up to lv27 and justify 6 lost epic caster levels. But well it's not like I'm paying you so you choose what to make next.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-05-15 at 12:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maby you should add paralysis to the touch somewhere because that is also one of the main features of a lich. Also, there should be a dracolich variant because they are awesome.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maby you should add paralysis to the touch somewhere because that is also one of the main features of a lich. Also, there should be a dracolich variant because they are awesome.
    What about demilich? You're a freaking flying skull that takes people's souls!

9. - Top - End - #399
    Colossus in the Playground

Murderjack

Spoiler
    Show
    HD: d6

{table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+0 |+0 |+2 | +2 | Fey Body, Sneak Attack +1d6
    2|+1|+0|+3 | +3 | Woodland Camouflage, +1 STR, CON, CHA
    3|+1|+1|+3| +3 | Sneak Attack +2d6, Sudden Lunge
    4|+2|+1|+4 | +4 | Spells, +1 STR, CON, CHA
    5|+2|+1|+4| +4 | Sneak Attack +3d6, Greater Fey Body
    6|+3|+2|+5 | +5 | +1 STR, CON, CHA, DEX, INT
    7|+3|+2|+5 | +5| Sneak Attack +4d6, Frightful Presence
    8|+4|+2|+6 | +6 | +1 STR, CON, CHA, DEX, INT
    9|+4|+3| +6| +6 | Sneak Attack +5d6, True Fey Body
    [/table]
    Skill Points: 6+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level.
    Class skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int) and Tumble (Dex).

Proficiencies: Murderjacks are proficient with natural weapons only. they are proficient with light armour and no shields.

Fey Body: A Murderjack loses all racial features and becomes a Fey. It gains low-light vision, a base speed of 30 feet and two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage and are treated as the Murderjack's primary attacks. It gains +2 to STR and CHA. A Murderjack has +2 natural armour for every 3 HD it possesses.

Sneak Attack: As the Rogue ability.

Woodland Camouflage (Su): In woodland areas, the murderjack's green and brown seems to blur and fade into the brackground. Attacks directed at a murderjack of 2nd level or higher when it is in a woodland area suffer a 5% miss chance, plus an additional 5% for every two HD the murderjack possesses (up to 50% at 20th level).

Sudden Lunge (Su): Once per hour, a murderjack of 3rd level or higher can move up to its speed as a free action.

Spells: A Murderjack of 4th level or higher casts spells just like a Bard of 3 levels lower does. Murderjack levels that grant casting stack with Bard levels for the purpose of determining the Bard's caster level, spells known and spells per day (such that a Murderjack 9/Bard 1 would cast spells as a 7th level Bard). The Murderjack's caster level is equal to its HD-3 unless an effect (such as Practiced Spellcaster) would increase it further.

Greater Fey Body: At 5th level, the murderjack's base land speed increases to 40ft and it gains a climb speed of 40ft. Its claw damage improves to 1d6. It gains DR 5/cold iron for every additional 5HD it has beyond the first.

Frightening Presence (Su): When a murderjack of 7th level or higher charges or attacks, it inspires terror in all creatures within 30 feet that have fewer Hit Dice or levels than it has. Each potentially affected opponent must succeed at a Will save (10 + 1/2 of the murderjack's HD + its CHA modifier) or become panicked. Creatures with equal or more Hit Dice become shaken only on a failed save. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

True Fey Body: At 9th level, the murderjack's base land speed increases to 50ft and its climb speed increases to 50ft. It gains spell resistance of 11+its HD.

Its total stat modifiers are +6 STR, +2 DEX, +4 CON, +2 INT, +6 CHA

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

I had to reduce its Sneak Attack by two dice and give it a not-useless SR (Standard has 6+HD). Bardic casting mirrors the original at 2/3 HD. It's not quite as good as the Rogue (less BAB, skill points, skills, proficiencies) or the Bard (no songs, less BAB, less skills, less casting) but can enter PrCs intended for both without too much hassle and has tasty ability bonuses.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show

Halved the stat gains, removed WIS increase. Woodland camouflage, DR and NA now advance by HD. Caster level now scales with HD as well, regardless of whether a casting class is taken or not. Spells known and per day will not scale because as a 6th level caster the Murderjack is perfectly capable of entering Prestige Classes to advance it if he doesn't want Bard.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2010-05-15 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    What about demilich? You're a freaking flying skull that takes people's souls!
    What about the creature that doesn't actually exist that has the same name as my username? Then you can be a floating dragon head that breaths some type of energy and take people souls! On a serious note, both of those would require epic progressions because they are or would be epic monsters.
    Last edited by demidracolich; 2010-05-15 at 01:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401

What about the creature that doesn't actually exist that has the same name as my username? Then you can be a floating dragon head that breaths some type of energy and take people souls! On a serious note, both of those would require epic progressions because they are or would be epic monsters.
    I want one.

Dracolich isn't epic, or did I miss something? It just says it can be added to any evil dragon.

12. - Top - End - #402

Look at my username, I meant the demilich and that.

13. - Top - End - #403

Look at my username, I meant the demilich and that.
    Ah, the 'both' part got me thinking what I thought.

14. - Top - End - #404

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Murderjack

Comments
    I had to reduce its Sneak Attack by two dice and give it a not-useless SR (Standard has 6+HD). Bardic casting mirrors the original at 2/3 HD. It's not quite as good as the Rogue (less BAB, skill points, skills, proficiencies) or the Bard (no songs, less BAB, less skills, less casting) but can enter PrCs intended for both without too much hassle and has tasty ability bonuses.
    I'd argue it's better than the rogue. The lower BAB is balanced out by the stat bonuses (you have a +2 to +4 to hit over a rogue with the same starting stats, depending on your choice of weapon), the int bonus and high overall stat bonuses help flesh out any losses in the skill points/list, and you get spells besides. I'd play the murderjack over the rogue in any campaign where I didn't think fiddling with traps was a priority. I'd have to finangle some Use Magic Device from elsewhere, but the +14 cha would easily make it worthwhile. Heck, I might just cross class UMD.

The primary flaws as I see them are:
    • The stat bonuses are simply too big.
    • The overall package is too good. Sneak attack as a rogue plus some casting?
    • The class doesn't progress when you stop advancing in it.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-05-15 at 02:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Actualy the lich's touch attack is untyped damage. It says it's based on negative energy but it doesn't actualy deal negative energy damage. Otherwise it's a necromancer's wet dream allowing them to heal undead minions for free. K, the dread necro can do it, but the dread necro is balaced by it's limited spell list.

Also the fear aura must state that creatures that save against it become immune to it for 24 hours, otherwise it's kinda an hassle on the party and also damn powerfull when you're hiting your oponents with it every turn for free.

Also please remove the class skills, as I feel it's kinda unfair to the skeleton, ghoul and mummy. Undead traits plus the other goodies should more than offset a few skill points lost.

Otherwise very nice work. Altough personaly I say demilich can wait. Epic stuff is hard to make and it would demand a character of at least lv21 to take it, and then go up to lv27 and justify 6 lost epic caster levels. But well it's not like I'm paying you so you choose what to make next.
    Made the changes. also gave them the paralysis ability. I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot to put it in to begin with

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

16. - Top - End - #406

Made the changes. also gave them the paralysis ability. I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot to put it in to begin with
    Great!. Gonna add it to the index after this post.

DrakeN:noticed now your nerra. Excellent work but there's two complains:

-Resistances way too strong. Other monsters so far get just resistance equal to their HD, and the nerra gets to 4 elements at once, so reduce it to it's HD.

-As it's written mirror jump gives you at-will shaddow walk. Make it so this option is useable only at higher HD and put some limit. Also clarify that it must start and end in a mirror as well.

Flickerdart:What Hyudra said. Your monster gains stats way too fast and most of the abilities don't scale at all like the DR and the nat armor after you finish the class.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-05-15 at 04:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Colossus in the Playground

NA, DR, Woodland Camouflage and caster level now scale. Stats have been reduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #408
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Requesting:
    Gelatinous Cube
    Mimic
    Beholder

Disclaimer: I didn't actually read the full thread.

19. - Top - End - #409

Quote Originally Posted by Pfhor View Post
    Requesting:
    Gelatinous Cube
    Mimic
    Beholder

Disclaimer: I didn't actually read the full thread.
    Hmm, isn't there an Awaken Ooze spell somewhere?

EDIT: Turns out it's in Dragon 304.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2010-05-15 at 06:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #410

I'm still thinking the Murderjack is too strong. You lose out on iterative attacks in the long run, but assuming you go with a strength based weapon, you're still doing more damage than a rogue:
    A level 9 rogue with 10 strength and daggers would have a +6 attack for 1d6 and a +1 attack for 1d6.

A level 9 murderjack who started with 10 strength (buffed to 16) would have two +7 claw attacks for 1d6+3 each. Higher to-hit on second attack means better chance of landing sneak attacks, too.
    At that same level you've also got 6th level bard spellcasting, 20% miss chance in woodlands, +6 natural armor, a fear aura, 50' movement, spell resistance and a free action 'get out of danger with sudden lunge' card.

I understand the appeal in making a homebrew class appealing, especially when it's something you want to play, but you've given it too much:
    • If you want the lower skills & less variety in skills to be a drawback, scrap the int bonus.
    • Frightening Presence is ridiculously good. Look at a 7th level rogue and ask yourself 'what does he have that balances out his lack of panicking opponents'? I don't think it should work on opponents after they've made one save against it, either, and I'd consider lowering the condition to frighten or even shaken.
    • Natural armor is really high, especially considering it can wear light armor and isn't a brawler like some monsters in this thread.
    • If you want him to be a melee rogue, de-emphasize the spellcasting and Cha. Rather than give it spellcasting as a lower level bard, perhaps a few specific SLAs as appropriate, and then let it pick up bard later if it wants.
    • Stat bonuses are still too high and too broad. I'd pick three stats at maximum to emphasize, depending on the nature of the creature.

Edit: Also, it shouldn't get stat bonuses at 1st level. As it stands, any rogue would be daft to not take their first level in Murderjack; With just a 1 level dip, you get +2 str, +2 cha and free natural armor increases.

Edit #2: And Murderjack levels should stack with Rogue levels for advancing sneak attack (So you can't do a 1 level dip for a free 1d6).
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-05-15 at 06:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Draken: noticed now your nerra. Excellent work but there's two complains:

-Resistances way too strong. Other monsters so far get just resistance equal to their HD, and the nerra gets to 4 elements at once, so reduce it to it's HD.

-As it's written mirror jump gives you at-will shaddow walk. Make it so this option is useable only at higher HD and put some limit. Also clarify that it must start and end in a mirror as well.
    1. Just three resistances. Cold, Fire and Electricity. Sonic is a vulnerability, they take 50% extra damage from sonic. Anyway. I have reduced it to be equal to HD.

2. Hmm... Point. Clarified the need of mirrors to begin and end the Shadow Mirror Walk and reduced daily uses to 1/day for every 4 HD.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-05-15 at 06:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Pfhor View Post
    Requesting:

Beholder
    You should be nuked from Orbit!
    Do you know what a beholder monster class would allow people to do? They can now get into beholder mage without any shenanagins!
    You've doomed us all!

23. - Top - End - #413

You should be nuked from Orbit!
    Do you know what a beholder monster class would allow people to do? They can now get into beholder mage without any shenanagins!
    You've doomed us all!
    Meh, I'm actualy suprised it took so many time for someone to request it.

Anyway the beholder is a quite nasty monster with AMF cone and multiple save or die effects at range every turn. It's something that will need to be handled with a lot of care and a 11 foot stick.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

What exactly is the benefit for growth for the angel class? To me, it doesn't seem like it helps in any way. The already weak BAB goes down even further for a few minor bonuses that people probably won't use very often.

I don't know, to me, it just doesn't seem very good. Although, maybe there's something you can do with large size that you can't with medium that I'm unaware of.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

BEHOLDER

The Class
    Spoiler
    Show

BEHOLDER
    {table=head]Level|BAB|F|R|W|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Eye of the Beholder, Gaze of Slumber, Tyrant Magic, +1 Con, +1 Int, +1 Cha

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Gaze of Charm

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Gaze of Fear, +1 Con, +1 Int

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Gaze of Pain, Bonus Feat, Omni-gaze

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Gaze of Encumbrance, Anti-Magic Eye, All Around Vision +1 Con, +1 Int, +1 Cha

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Growth, Bonus Feat

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Gaze of Charming (Greater), +1 Con, +1 Int

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Bonus Feat

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Gaze of Force, Anti-magic Eye (Greater) +1 Con, +1 Int, +1 Cha

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Bonus Feat

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Gaze of Petrification, +1 Con, +1 Int

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Gaze of Destruction, Bonus Feat

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Gaze of Death, Gaze of the Eye Tyrant, +1 Con, +1 Int, +1 Cha[/table]

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: (4+ Int Mod.) x4 at first level. a beholders class Skills are appraise, bluff, concentration, decipher script, hide, intimidate, knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (the planes), move silently, search, spellcraft, spot.

Class Features
    Proficiencies: The beholder is proficient with no armor or shields and is only proficient with its own natural weapons.

Eye of the Beholder: The beholder loses all racial features and becomes an aberration. A beholder has no land speed but can hover above the ground at a speed of 20ft to a maximum hight of 5ft at 1st level. the maximum hight increases by an addition 5ft for every 2 HD the beholder possesses. Because of this the beholder ignores all damage from falling any distance. The beholder gains darkvision out to 60 feet. Beholders do not possess limbs capable of fine manipulation of wielding conventional weapons; however the beholder does have a bite attack that deal 2d4 + Str. Mod. Damage.

Additionally, the beholder receives a bonus to its natural armor equal to its charisma score. At 8th level, this bonus doubles to twice the beholders charisma score so long as the beholder is unarmored.

Tyrant Magic: A beholder who multi-classes into the wizard class can count his beholder levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and getting new spell slots. So for example, a beholder 3 who took 1 level of wizard could choose to have CL 4, get 3 [2nd] level spell slots, 1 [1st] level spell slot, 1 [2nd] level spell known and 1 [0th] level spell known. He wouldn't get the spells known and spell slots of a wizard 3 however. He would get the familiar ability, but beholder levels wouldn't count for it.

Gaze of Slumber (Su): When a beholder is born, it begins life with a single eye stalk capable of firing a ray that Lulls its target into slumber. This ray (and all other eye rays possessed by the beholder) have maximum range of 10ft per beholder level. The beholder must succeed on a ranged tough attack, if the attack is successful the target is allowed a will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier) or he fall asleep. The effect of this ray is identical to that of a sleep spell with a caster level equal to the beholder's HD. The beholder can use this ability twice a day for every HD it possesses.

Ability Increases: A beholder receives a permanent increase to its constitution and intelligence scores at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th level. And bonuses to his charisma score at 1st, 5th, 9th, and 13th level. These bonuses total to +7 Int and Con at 13th level, and +4 Charisma.

Gaze of Charming (Su): As the beholder grows, it begins to sprout addition, more powerful eye stalks. at 2nd level the beholder grows an eye capable of firing a ray which can charm a human or humanoid into becoming more friendly with the beholder. If the beholder succeeds on a ranged touch attack, then the target must succeed on a will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier) or become charmed as per the charm person spell with a caster level equal to the beholder's HD. The beholder can use this ability once a day for every HD it possesses.

Gaze of Fear (Su): At 3rd level the beholder grows a new eye stalk capable of firing a ray which instills emotions of dread, panic, and fear in the target. If the beholder succeeds on a raged touch attack, then the target is entitled to a will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier) or be a effected buy the fear spell, caster level equal to the beholders HD. The beholder can use this ability once day for every HD it possesses.

Gaze of Pain (Su): At 4th level the beholder grows another eye stalk capable of firing a ray of pure negative energy to damage their foes. If the beholder succeeds on the attack, the target must succeed on a will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier) or be affected as if by a Inflict Moderate Wounds Spell with a caster level equal to the beholders HD. The beholder may use this ability once a day for every HD it possesses.

Bonus Feat: At 4th level the beholders growing arcane knowledge enables him to alter his eye rays in varying ways. At each even numbered level beginning at 4th, he may choose any one metamagic feat he meets the requirements for (the beholder treats his HD as his caster level for the purpose of determining which prerequisites he meets). Metamagic the beholder gains may be used to augment the spell his eye ray mimics as though it were actually being cast. Though the spell the eye ray is mimicking must still be eligable to be affected by the metamagic. Using any metamagic feat to augment the spell uses up a number of uses of that eye ray equal to the number of levels that would be added to the spell level. Eye rays are already considered stilled and silenced, so those two would be pointless.

Omnigaze (Ex): The bizarre brain structure of a beholder allows him to intemperate visual signals from varying angles and positions as well as coordinate his eyes to take advantage of this. The most useful aspect of this ability is that it allows him to coordinate his eye rays efficiently so that he can optimally use many simultaneously. As a full-round action a beholder can fire any and all eye rays it possesses though it may only fire up to 3 separate eye rays in any 90 degree arc. Each eye ray fired may have different targets. Each eye ray may only be fired to a maximum of 1/round.

Gaze of Encumbrance (Su): At 5th level, a beholder grows another eye stalk. This eye stalk is capable of firing a ray which inhibits the targets movements and causes him to move more sluggishly. If the beholder succeeds on the attack, then the target must a make a will save or become slowed as per the spell. The caster level for this effect is equal to the beholder's HD. The beholder may use this ability once a day for every HD it possesses.

Anti-magic Eye (Su): At 6th level, the beholder's central eye has finally matured to the point to where it can fire brief bursts of energy that suppress magical effects and abilities. The beholder activates this ability opening its central eye, this requires a move equivalent action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. This ability takes the form of a cone which extend 10ft for every HD that the beholder Possesses (Maximum 150 ft.) everything caught in the cone is effected as if caught in the area of a dispel magic spell with a caster level equal to the beholder's HD. This ability can be used a maximum of once every 2d4 rounds. after each use the beholder must close its eye to allow the magical energies of the eye to recharge

All Around Vision (Ex): The beholder's eye stalks have grown in the form a crown, he can now see in all direction simultaneously granting him a +4 to all spot and search checks. In addition, the beholder can no longer be flanked.

Growth: the beholder's body has reached physical maturity and becomes larger. At 6th level, the beholder increases one size category.

Gaze of Charm, Greater (Su): at 7th level, the beholder grows another eye stalk. this eye is much like his eye of charm person but instead works on any creature targeted, not just humans and humanoids. the beholder may use this ability once a day for every 2 HD it possesses.

Gaze of Force (Su): At ninth level, the beholder grows another eye stalk. This eye is capable of firing a ray of pure mental energy, allowing him to exert his will over physical creatures and objects. This eye allows the beholder to use telekinesis with a caster level equal to the beholder's HD. Creatures are allowed will saves (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier) to resist the effect. The beholder may use this ability once a day for every 4 HD it possesses.

Greater Anti-magic Eye (Su): The power of the beholder's central eye increases. Creatures and objects inside the cone are now effective as if within the radius of a Greater Dispel Magic spell.

Gaze of Petrification (Su): At eleventh level the beholder grows on of his most powerful eye stalks, a ray capable of transforming almost any living creature into stone. If the beholder succeeds on the ranged touch attack then the target must succeed on a will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier) or be petrified as per the spell Flesh to Stone with a caster level equal to the beholder's HD. The beholder may use this ability once a day for every 4 HD it possesses.

Gaze of Destruction (Su): Arguably the beholder's most powerful weapon in it's arsenal, the beholders 9th eye stalk is capable of firing a ray of pure destructive energy. This eye stalk fires a ray which exactly duplicates the effects of a disintegrate spell with a caster level equal to the beholders HD. The beholder may use this ability once a day for every 5 HD it possesses.

Gaze of Death (Su): The final eye stalk gained by the beholder is capable of firing a ray which drains the very life force from its targets. If the beholder succeeds on the ranged attack, then the target must must make a will save or be instantly stricken dead as per the Finger of Death spell. this ability has a caster level equal to the beholder's HD and can be used once a day for every 5 Hd the beholder Possesses.

Gaze of the Eye Tyrant (Su): The powerful eye of the beholder has finally reach its pinnacle. The area within the cone is now affected as if by an antimagic field as per the spell. The caster level for this effect is equal to the beholder's HD. Additionally, the effect remains active constantly as long as the beholder's central eye is open and no longer requires regular periods of recharge.

Comments and Correction Log
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, well I know it isn't too good, but I figured if I just went ahead and put some stuff together (because quite honestly I just really wanted to see it) then the pro's could chime in and make whatever corrections were necessary. That way the beholder actually got finished but the actual brewers wont have to dedicate that much time to working on it.

Well, where to start

to begin with theres a couple of dead levels and that seems like a problem. The beholder doesn't really have a lots of abilities just a few powerful ones. In addition, I'm pretty sure that the ability increases are a little much but, with so few things to put in I felt like it needed something.

Well there it is, I hope that you guys know how to make it work.

Oh, and sorry for any typos or incorrectness. and sometimes I use copy and paste to fill in the abilities so if there is any of that going, on please forgive.

Changes 5/15-16/2010
    Ok, Spread out the eye stalk progression tell me what you people think about that. I also gave the beholder body that is traditional with these monster classes. Spread out the antimagic eye though I'm still not satisfied with it.

changed it from flight to hovering as per hyudra's suggestions.

and yeah, I don't know. It's late and there are probably be a bunch of mess ups (in fact that seems almost inevitable) but I'm too tired to keep my eyes open so I'll try and fix any more problems tomorrow..or later today, rather.

5/17/2010
    added a number of uses on telekinesis. 1 for every 4HD

5/21/2010
    Added bonus metamagic feats to every even level starting at 4th so as to give the eye rays more options. Tried to come up with an ability that lets a beholder fire more eye rays but i had to stop because I didn't know how many is appropriate. At first though that they could fire all 10 in a round but that didn't sound right. then i though remembered a friend telling me that due to the way they eyes are spaced on the head the beholder can only shoot up to like 2 or 3 a round. I read beholder but I might have missed it.

5/28/2010
    Adjusted the ability so that the beholder can fire all 10 but only 3 in any 90 degree arc like is appropriate. Need a better name than "Omni-gaze". Suggestions would be awesome.

6/9/2010
    Just notice that the beholder is on the list, I guess that means its acceptable. Also added the beholders constitution score to its AC as a natural armor bonus. It doubles at 8th level to make up for the fact that beholders cannot wear armor and beholders are not equipped with any defensive abilities.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-10-13 at 05:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416

First of all, It would help to stick to the 'monster Body' with the type traits built into the class, for consistency's sake (so there aren't minor differences between various monster classes in this thread) and for readability. You opted not to for your Blink Dog, but if the beholder is going to be crafted as a community effort, it would be best to stick to the formatting established over the previous 14-ish pages.

I don't think I'd give the beholder wizard casting. I think the way to go is to establish growth so that he gets SLAs only, with the ablity to go for arcane classes afterwards. As it stands, every 13th level beholder is a caster, and I don't think that fits for flavor reasons.

So I'm of the opinion that the beholder should basically be a floating artillery platform. With that in mind, we can't have him screw up party balance, so the changes I'd make are:
    • The beholder levitates, but at low levels can't move very high off the ground. So he floats 5' off the ground at level 1 and can float another 5' higher with every 2 HD. This keeps him from bypassing 90% of low level encounters simply by flying out of reach and sniping.
    • No wizard casting. Even if it's just lower level casting, a spell list threatens to overshadow the beholder's real schtick, which is eye rays of doom.
    • Add the permanent feather fall effect that results from levitation (Monster manual page 25)
    • Have it grow an eyestalk at a time. Steadier progression.
    • Add a growth effect somewhere down the line - it's a large creature.
    • Save DCs for rays would be (10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod)
    • Have the antimagic eye progress. A dispel magic at lower levels with a long cooldown, which gradually becomes better & ultimately becomes an antimagic eye.
    • Eye rays are the main feature and IMHO should scale in range and versatility. The real reason a beholder is threatening is its ability to fire off multiple rays at once. This can be mitigated with a drawback (perhaps at a lower level, doing so reduces the DC of each ray, or imposes a 1d4 round cooldown before rays can be used again).

Stat mods are fine, I think. By virtue of being what it is, the beholder can't wear a lot of pieces of armor, I don't think, so the stat mods help flesh it out.

Because the Beholder is so one dimensional, part of me wants to build several possibilities for the eye rays (ie. At 3rd level, you grow an eyestalk; choose one of the following abilities for that eye's ray) and primary eye, so the player has more choice in what he does.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-05-15 at 11:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

Demilich seems a bit to much for me to handle at the moment so here is anther creation. It seems templates are becoming my specialty

The Half-fiend
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites

to become a Half-feind, the character must meet the following requirements
    Must have an ancestor who was an outsider native to the lower planes

OR

Skills: Knowledge(the planes):8 ranks
    Alignment: any non-good
    Special: Must drink fiend blood in a special ritual

HD:d8
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Tainted body, Smite good, Lesser fiendish magic
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Tainted Soul,Wings, +1 dex, Intermediate Fiendish magic
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Tainted Hide, Greater fiendish magic, +1str, +1int[/table]
    Skills: 4+int mod. Class skills are bluff, hide, intimidate, listen, knowledge(arcana) knowledge(the planes), move silently, sense motive, spellcraft, and spot

Proficiencies: A Half-fiend gains proficiency with their own natural wepons

Features:

Tainted body:Unlike other monster classes, the Half-fiend doesn't lose its racial ability modifiers, but he does gain native outsider traits.

The half-fiend gains two claw attacks dealing 1d4+Str damage each and a bite attack dealing 1d6+1/2 Str damage. Those are the values for a medium sized half-fiend, and should be adjusted to half-fiends of other size by the standard die size changes.

The half fiend also gains a +1 bonus to natural armor and immunity to poison

Smite good: A number of times per day equal to 1+1/5HD, a Half fiend can make a normal melee attack that deals extra damage equal to its HD against a good foe

Feindish magic: A half-fiend gains spell like abilities. the abilities gained, requirements, and uses per day are shown below. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+charisma modifier
    {table=head]HD Required|Feindish Magic Required|Spell|Uses per day
    1|lesser|Darkness|1/HD
    3|lesser|Desecrate|1/2HD
    5|lesser|Unholy Blight|1/2HD
    7|lesser|poison|1/HD
    9|intermediate|Contagion|1/HD
    11|intermediate|Blasphemy|1/2HD
    13|intermediate|Unhallow|1/4HD
    13|Greater|Unholy Aura|1/2HD
    15|Greater|Horrid Wilting|1/4HD
    17|Greater|Summon MosterIX|1/4HD
    19|Greater|Destruction|1/4HD[/table]
    If they multiclasses for an arcane/divince class they can count its Half-fiend levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a Half-fiend 3 who took 1 level of sorceror could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. it wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorceror 3 however. They would get the familiar ability, but half-fiend levels wouldn't count for it

Tainted soul: A second level Half-fiend gains spell resistance equal to 10+HD+charisma bonus(minimum +1). If the half-fiend already has spell resistance from a different source, It can add its charisma bonus to its spell resistance.

Wings: A half fiend at gains wings that allow it to fly at its land speed with average manueverabilty

Tainted Hide: At third level, the Half-fiend's hide becomes supernaturally resilient. he gains damage reduction/magic equal to his HD and resistance to acid, cold, fire and electricity equal to half its HD

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main challenge with the half-fiend class was making the levels balanced. I made the spell-like abilities dependent on both half-fiend levels and total HD

Next up is the celestial counterpart
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2010-05-15 at 11:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

28. - Top - End - #418

It seems templates are becoming my specialty

The Half-fiend
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites

to become a Half-feind, the character must meet the following requirements
    Must have an ancestor who was an outsider native to the lower planes

OR

Skills: Knowledge(the planes):8 ranks
    Alignment: any non-good
    Special: Must drink fiend blood in a special ritual

HD:d8
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Tainted body, Smite good, Lesser fiendish magic
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Tainted Soul,Wings, +1 dex, Intermediate Fiendish magic
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Tainted Hide, Greater fiendish magic, +1str, +1int[/table]
    Skills: 4+int mod. Class skills are bluff, hide, intimidate, listen, knowledge(arcana) knowledge(the planes), move silently, sense motive, spellcraft, and spot

Proficiencies: A Half-fiend gains proficiency with their own natural wepons

Features:

Tainted body:Unlike other monster classes, the Half-fiend doesn't lose its racial ability modifiers, but he does gain native outsider traits.

The half-fiend gains two claw attacks dealing 1d4+Str damage each and a bite attack dealing 1d6+1/2 Str damage. Those are the values for a medium sized half-fiend, and should be adjusted to half-dragons of other size by the standard die size changes.

The half fiend also gains a +1 bonus to natural armor and immunity to poison

Smite good: A number of times per day equal to 1+1/5HD, a Half fiend can make a normal melee attack that deals extra damage equal to its HD against a good foe

Feindish magic: A half-fiend gains spell like abilities. the abilities gained, requirements, and uses per day are shown below. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+charisma modifier
    {table=head]HD Required|Feindish Magic Required|Spell|Uses per day
    1|lesser|Darkness|1/HD
    3|lesser|Desecrate|1/2HD
    5|lesser|Unholy Blight|1/2HD
    7|lesser|poison|1/HD
    9|intermediate|Contagion|1/HD
    11|intermediate|Blasphemy|1/2HD
    13|intermediate|Unhallow|1/4HD
    13|Greater|Unholy Aura|1/2HD
    15|Greater|Horrid Wilting|1/4HD
    17|Greater|Summon MosterIX|1/4HD
    19|Greater|Destruction|1/4HD[/table]
    If they multiclasses for an arcane/divince class they can count its Half-fiend levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a Half-fiend 3 who took 1 level of sorceror could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. it wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorceror 3 however. They would get the familiar ability, but half-fiend levels wouldn't count for it

Tainted soul: A second level Half-fiend gains spell resistance equal to 10+HD+charisma bonus(minimum +1). If the half-fiend already has spell resistance from a different source, It can add its charisma bonus to its spell resistance.

Wings: A half fiend at gains wings that allow it to fly at its land speed with average manueverabilty

Tainted Hide: At third level, the Half-fiend's hide becomes supernaturally resilient. he gains damage reduction/magic equal to his HD and resistance to acid, cold, fire and electricity equal to half its HD

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main challenge with the half-fiend class was making the levels balanced. I made the spell-like abilities dependent on both half-fiend levels and total HD
    Typo: In Tainted body, it says:

Those are the values for a medium sized half-fiend, and should be adjusted to half-dragons of other size by the standard die size changes.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Yuan-Ti

Spoiler
    Show

Growth:By burning one use of her snake shape ability, the yuan-ti can grow one size category and later return to normal whe she wishes. She retains all her abilities and equipment, but she loses.

Something seems Odd about that last sentence.

Edit:So, you keep the racial bonuses if you're a half dragon or half fiend? Doesn't that seem a little bit strong? You could easily do a one level dip in the class and get a lot of nice stuff. In the case of half fiend I'd get Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +4, and Cha +2 then, correct?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-05-16 at 03:41 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    Gaze of Force (Su): At ninth level, the beholder grows another eye stalk. This eye is capable of firing a ray of pure mental energy, allowing him to exert his will over physical creatures and objects. This eye allows the beholder to use telekinesis with a caster level equal to the beholder's HD. Creatures are allowed will saves (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier) to resist the effect.
    You forgot to put a limit on uses of this.