New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Medusa
    Very nice, thank you. I would actually recommend moving the poisonous bite, or at least the ability to coat weapons with poison, to level 3. Something about having a limitless supply of 1d4+ ability damage poison seems a bit much for a single level dip.

Any reason why it deals 1d4+Str bonus in damage, rather than 1d4+Con bonus? Or just 1d4, for that matter.

...Undead are not immune to petrification. I did not know this. That makes her Stone Glimpse very interesting... Although I does bring up another question. I assume both of her save attacks (poison and petrification) are Fortitude saves? Very interesting indeed.

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Rakshasa

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d8
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+1 |+ 2|+ 2| + 2|Rakshasa body, Mind Read, +1 Dex
    2|+ 2|+3 |+ 3| +3 | Tyrant hide, +1 Con
    3|+ 3|+3 |+ 3| +3 |Arcane soul, +1 Cha
    4|+ 4|+4 |+ 4| +4 |+1 Dex, +1 Cha
    5|+5|+ 4|+ 4| +4 |Deceiver, +1 Cha
    6|+ 6|+5 |+ 5| +5 |+1 Con, +1 Cha
    7|+ 7|+ 5|+ 5| + 5|Change Shape, +1 Cha
    8|+ 8|+6 |+ 6| + 6|+1 Dex, +1 Cha
    9|+ 9|+6 |+ 6| + 6|+1 Con, +1 Cha, +1 int
    10|+ 10|+ 7|+7 | +7 |+1 Con, +1 Dex, +1 Cha, +1 int

[/table]
    Skills:6+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level. Its class skills are Bluff, Disguise, Listen, Move Silently, Hide, Knowledge(any), Perform, Sense Motive, UMD, and Spot.

Proefeciencies:
    it's own natural weapons, simple and martial weapons.

Features:

Rakshasa body: at first level loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits(basicaly darkvision 60 feets). It's a medium sized outsider with base speed 40, two natural claw attacks dealing 1d4+Str mod each and a bite attack dealing 1d3+half Str mod. He takes no penalty for attacking with both claws in a fullattack, but takes a -5 penalty on the bite attack if it uses togheter with the claws.

A Rakshasa also gains a bonus to it's natural armor equal to it's charisma modifier.

Mind readthe Raksha can use detect toughts 1/day as SLA for each HD it has. A Raksha with 3 or more HD can use and sustain it as a move action. At 6HD as a swift action and at 9HD as a free action. DC to resist is 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

Ability bonus:A rakshasa gains a permanent
    +1 to Dex at levels 1, 4, 8 , 10
    +1 to Con at levels 2, 6, 9, 10
    +1 to Cha at all levels except 1 and 2
    +1 to int at levels 9 and 10

Tyrant hide:
    The Rasksha's skin is exceptionaly strong, protecting it from both magic and weapons. It gains SR equal to 11+HD+Cha mod and DR/magic or piercing equal to it's own HD. When the Rasksha reaches 5HD, the DR can only be ignored by weapons both magic and piercing.

Arcane soul:The Raksha can cast as if he was a sorceror two levels lower than it's Raksha level .

Deceiver:
    The Raksha gains a bonus equal to half it's HD on all disguise and bluff checks. If it's reading the oponent's mind with his Mind Read ability, this bonus doubles.

Change Shape (Su): A rakshasa can assume any humanoid form, or revert to its own form, as a standard action 1/day for each HD it has. In humanoid form, a rakshasa loses its claw and bite attacks. A rakshasa remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but the rakshasa reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals its natural form.
    Spoiler
    Show

* The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form.
    * The creature loses the natural weapons and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
    * The creature gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
    * The creature retains all other special attacks and qualities of its original form, except for breath weapons and gaze attacks.
    * The creature retains the ability scores of its original form.
    * Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
    * The creature retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components.
    * The creature is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
    * Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and viceversa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So yeah, a sorceror who's casting 3 levels behind the party and hardly has any natural abilities. The MM Raksha's is pretty cool looking and flavourfull, but besides it's huge SR, it doesn't really do anything.

My version increases the sorceror casting to 8th level, wich isn't as crippling. In adition, it gains a whooping +8 to Cha over all 10 levels to make that casting count, good bonus to Dex, Con and int , full BAB, saves, great skills, SR and DR wich hopefully make up for the lost caster levels. Probably better for more politic campaigns or some kind of arcane skill monkey.

Dragonne

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d10
    1|+ 1|+2 |+2 | +0 | Dragonne body, pounce
    2|+ 2|+ 3|+ 3| + 0|Scent, +1 Str
    3|+ 3|+ 3|+ 3| + 1|Vigilant, Roar, +1 Con
    4|+ 4|+ 4|+ 4| + 1|Wings, +1 Str
    5|+ 5|+ 4|+ 4| + 1|+1 Str, +1 Con
    6|+ 6|+ 5|+ 5| + 2|+1 Str, +1 Con
    7|+7 |+ 5|+ 5| + 2|Growth, +1 Str
    [/table]

Skills:2+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level, Class skills are Spot, Listen, jump, climb, survival.

Proefeciencies: it's own natural weapons

Features:
    Dragonna body:
    loses all other racial bonus and gains magical beast traits (basicaly dark vision 60 feets and low light vision). It's a medium sized magic beast with base speed 40 feets, two claws attacks dealing 1d6+1/2 Str each and and a bite attack dealing 1d8+Str. The dragonne's claws are not capable of fine manipulation naturaly. In a full attack, it uses the bite at full attack bonus and both claws with a -5 penalty each.

In adition, it gains a bonus to Nat armor equal to his Con modifier.

Pounce (Ex):If a dragonne charges, it can make a full attack in the same round.

Ability increase:
    The dragonne gains a permanent +1 to Str at levels 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and +1 to Con at levels 3, 5, 6

Scent:
    This extraordinary ability lets a creature detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.
    Spoiler
    Show

A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

The creature detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.

False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Vigilant:
    A dragonne adds half it's HD as a racial bonus on all spots and listen checks.

Roar (Su):A dragonne can loose a devastating roar every 1d4 rounds. All creatures except dragonnes within 120 feet must succeed on a DC 10+1/2HD+Cha modifier Will save or become fatigued. Those within 30 feet who fail their saves become exhausted.

Wings:
    the dragonna can now fly at a speed of 30 feets(poor).

Growth: the dragonne grows one size category. Notice this is a long creature

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be honest, I didn't even know this monster existed untill it was requested. Well, nothing much to say here. Big bad half dragon-half lion who flies, roars and pounces, pure assault machine.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-01 at 06:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Very nice, thank you. I would actually recommend moving the poisonous bite, or at least the ability to coat weapons with poison, to level 3. Something about having a limitless supply of 1d4+ ability damage poison seems a bit much for a single level dip.
    I put the coating power to 3rd level then. You can still poison enemies at will with a dip, but you can only do it with your hair snake attack now, wich demands you to be in melee and can only be used once per turn, so I don't see much of a problem with that.

Any reason why it deals 1d4+Str bonus in damage, rather than 1d4+Con bonus? Or just 1d4, for that matter.
    That's the base normal damage of the snake hair. The strenght damage dealt by the poison is just 1d4, and an extra 1d4 for every two extra HD.

...Undead are not immune to petrification. I did not know this. That makes her Stone Glimpse very interesting... Although I does bring up another question. I assume both of her save attacks (poison and petrification) are Fortitude saves? Very interesting indeed.
    Yes, both fort saves, forgot to mention that. Corrected now.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-02-24 at 04:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

*coughs* Bookmarked *coughs*

Liking alot of this, looks really good.

Don't suppose you have any plans for a giant-based race?

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Nero24200 View Post
    Don't suppose you have any plans for a giant-based race?
    Both the troll and ogre mage are giants technicaly speaking. I may do one of the most classic giants later, altough they're not a priority since they're kinda dull due to their lack of special abilities besides brute force.

Gotta do an index, thread is geting too big.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Woohoo, thank you! I know I'm being a bit nitpicky, but I appreciate it. The Medusa looks a lot better now.

I do like the Mind Flayer and the Rakshasa, mainly because I liked those two as creatures. I agree that the Mind Flayer is a bit odd; taking levels of Mind Flayer on odd levels and Wizard on even levels, for example, produces a larger number of available spells than the other way around. I'm not sure how I'd do so, though, as just adding Mind Flayer levels to a spellcaster would be too strong... Overall, a rather interesting way of handling it.

Also, I am reminded of why I dislike they way they handle skills in the Monster Manual. It's rather hard to have a class with only 4 class skills, after all. That's more a complaint of the D&D system, though.

Could I see one for the Mummy? The official one (in Heroes of Horror, was it?) was 20 levels, which needless to say isn't terribly useful...

7. - Top - End - #37

Red Slaad

Spoiler
    Show

1|+ 1|+ 2|+0 | + 0|Body of chaos, pounce
    2|+ 2|+ 3|+ 0| + 0|Slaad, +1 Str
    3|+ 3|+3 |+ 1| + 1|Implant, +1 Con
    4|+ 4|+ 4|+ 1| + 1|Fast Healing, +1 Str
    5|+ 5|+4 |+ 1| + 1|Stunning croack, +1 Con
    6|+ 6|+ 5|+ 2| + 2|+1 Str, +1 Con
    7|+ 7|+ 5|+ 2| + 2|Growth+1 Str
    [/table]
    Skills:4+int modifier per level, quadruple at first level. Class skills are jump, ride, swim, climb, bluff, spot, listen, move silently, hide, tumble.

Proefeciencies:simple and martial weapons, it's own natural weapons

Features:
    Body of Chaos:loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits (basicaly dark vision 60 feets). It's a medium sized outsider with base speed 30 feets, two claws attacks dealing 1d3+1/2 Str each and and a bite attack dealing 2d6+Str.

In adition, it gains a Nat Armor bonus equal to his Con modifier.

Pounce (Ex):
    If a red slaad charges, it can make a full attack in the same round.

Slaad:Gains chaotic subtype, and any weapons it wields, including natural weapons, count as chaotic aligned for bypassing DR. It also gains resistance to sonic damage equal to his own HD and resistance to fire, cold, acid and electrecity equal to half his own HD.

Ability increase:The red slaad gains a permanent +1 to Str at levels 2, 4, 6, 7 and +1 to Con at levels 3, 5, 6

Implant: As the red slaad's implant abilit. Consult the MM, page 229, except that the fort save to resist is 10+1/2 HD+Con mod. In adition, it may only try to implant eggs a number of times per day equal to his HDx Con modifier

Fast healing:
    Equal to half it's own HD.

Stunning croack:
    Once per day for every 2HD the red slaad has, as a standard action, it can unleash a screech that stuns all nonslaad creatures whitin 20 feets for 1d3 turns. Fort Save 10+1/2HD+Con mod to resist. For every 5 extra HD the Slaad has, he can extend the range of this ability another 20 feets and increase the stun duration by an extra 1d3 turns.

Growth: the red slaad increases one size category.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The first of the slaads. Basicaly a giant pouncing frog. The slaad is clearly a frontline fighter. Full BAB and extra str and con help him fulfill that roll. 4 skill points so it can have some tricks(notice the tumble in the skill list), but only one good save. It has fast healing and several resistances to keep it going tough. Implantation may eventualy be powerfull if used creatively. Also increased the number of croacks per day, since 1/day only isn't very nice.

I'll be doing the other stronger slaads as I get interest, but for now there's other less creepy choices than giant psycho frogs who assimilate their enemies.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-03 at 07:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Centaur and Hound Archon would be nice to see my group is a little OP compared to the other players so this would help a lot.
    Thx in Advance

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Did you notice my telepathy ability clause?

Telepathy:a mind flayer gains telepathy with a range of 10 feets for each HD he possesses. A mind flayer who multiclasses for an arcane/psionic class can count his Mind Flayer levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL/ML and for the purposes of learning new spells/powers and geting new spell slots/power points. So for example, a Mind Flayer 3 who took 1 level of sorceror could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. He wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorceror 3 however, neither the familiar ability.

I did it precisely for that reason, so you could make your mind flayer 8/psion 1 have a ML of 9 and 72-58=14 PP(whitout counting bonus) .It won't have as many PP and power points as a normal psion, but you're still able to manifest 5th level powers.

This is, the EP mind flayer is kinda broken. He manifests as a 9th level psion at CR 8! I can't exactly make a class that gives 9th level fullcasting at ECL8.
    I hadn't noticed that clause, and now that it's been pointed out to me, I have nothing but praise to sing for these classes. Bravo.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

If she multiclasses for an arcane/divince class she can count her succubus levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a succubus 3 who took 1 level of sorceror could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. She wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorceror 3 however,
    What? This doesn't make sense at all to me.

Though the rest are clearer and seem as if they would be fun to play.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2010-02-24 at 11:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    What? This doesn't make sense at all to me.
    It's aimed to allow you to multiclass easily between monster classes and casters, so you can have a true "monster caster", who can cast spells as strong as a pure caster of the same level, but the "monster caster" less spells and has less spell slots.

For example, let's say you have a succubus 3 and then you pick a level of sorceror.

Your Caster level would be 4 instead of 1.

You would learn a 2nd level spell and a 0th level spell, like a sorceror who had reached lv4, instead of two 1st level spells and 4 0th level spells a fighter 3/sorceror 1 would receive.

Similarly, you would gain three 2nd level spell slots and one 1st level spell slot,like a sorceror who had reached lv4, instead of four 1st level spell slots and 4 0th level spell slots a fighter 3/sorceror 1 would receive.

Is it more clear now?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Should I be getting my hopes up that you will eventually be doing my request or not?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

13. - Top - End - #43

Djinni

Spoiler
    Show

1|+ 0|+ 0|+2 | + 0|Body of Air, Minor Wish, +1 Str
    2|+ 1|+ 0|+ 3| + 0|Genie, Lesser Wish , +1 Cha
    3|+ 2|+1 |+ 3| + 1|Flying, whirlwind, +1 Str
    4|+ 3|+ 1|+ 4| + 1|Partial Wish, +1 Cha
    5|+ 3|+1 |+ 5| + 1|Growth, Noble Wish, +1 Str
    [/table]

Skills:
    6+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills are diplomacy, bluff, spot, listen, concentration, apraise, craft (any), knowlege (any), profession (any), escape artist.sense motive.

Proefeciencies:simple and martial weapons, his own natural weapons.

Features:
    Body of air:A djinni loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits (basicaly darkvision 60 feets). It is an outsider with 20 base speed and two slam attacks dealing 1d6 damage each. A djinni doesn't take penalty for attacking with both slam attacks in a full attack.

The djinni also gains a Nat armor bonus equal to half his Con modifier.

Minor wish:Once per each HD it has, the Djinni can use create food and water and create wine (as create water, but produces wine) as SLAs. In adition, it can choose any 1st level illusion spell and use it as an SLA once per day for each HD it has (spell choice subject to DM aproval). DC=10+1/2HD+Cha modifier.

Ability increase:
    The djinni gains +1 to Str at 1st, 3rd and 5th levels and +1 Cha at 2nd and 4th levels.

Genie:
    The djinni gains the air subtype, telepathy of 40 feets plus 10 feets for each extra HD beyond 2. Airborne creatures take a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls against a djinni.

Flying:
    The djinni gains a fly speed of 10 feets per HD, with perfect maneuverability.

Whirlwind (Su):
    A djinni can transform itself into a whirlwind once per day for each HD it has and remain in that form 1 round for each HD it has. In this form, it can move through the air or along a surface at its fly speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

The whirlwind is 5 feet wide at the base, up to 5 feet wide per HD at the top and up to 10 feet tall per HD. The djinni controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet.

A djinni’s movement while in whirlwind form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the djinni enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the whirlwind if it touches or enters the whirlwind, or if the djinni moves into or through the creature’s space.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the djinni might take damage when caught in the whirlwind and be lifted into the air. An affected creature must succeed on a DC 10+HD+Str mod Reflex save when it comes into contact with the whirlwind or take 2d8 points of damage (damage increases when the djinni grows). It must also succeed on a second DC10+ HD+Str mod Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful winds, automatically taking 1d6 points of damage each round(damage increases when the djinni grows). A creature with a fly speed is allowed a DC 10+ HD+Str mod Reflex save each round to escape the whirlwind. The creature still takes damage but can leave if the save is successful.

Creatures trapped in the whirlwind cannot move except to go where the djinni carries them or to escape the whirlwind. Creatures caught in the whirlwind can otherwise act normally, but must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell. Creatures caught in the whirlwind take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls. The djinni can have only as many trapped inside a whirlwind at one time as will fit inside the whirlwind’s volume.

The djinni can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the whirlwind happens to be.

If the whirlwind’s base touches the ground, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the djinni and has a diameter equal to half the whirlwind’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment.

Those caught in the cloud must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

A djinni in whirlwind form cannot make melee attacks and does not threaten the area around it.

Lesser Wish:
    As SLAs, the djinni can use inivisibility 1/day for each HD it has and major creation for each 2HD it has. If the djinni has 8 more HD, vegetable matter created by the major creation is permament.it can choose any 2nd level illusion spell and use it as an SLA once per day for each 2 HD it has (spell choice subject to DM aproval). DC=10+1/2HD+Cha modifier.

Partial Wish:
    As SLAs, once per day for each 4HD it has, the djinni can use gaseous form, wind walk.

Growth:the djinni grows one size category.

Noble Wish:
    As SLAs, once per day for each 5HD it has, the djinni can use persistent image. Save DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod

In adition, as a SLA 3/day, the djinni gains the following spells at the following HDs:
    7HD Shadow Conjuration
    9 HD Shadow Evocation
    13 HD Shadow Conjuration, greater
    15 HD Shadow Evocation, greater
    17 HD wish, to nongenies only

If a djinni use his wish SLA to create/improve items or any other permanent lasting effect (like improved ability scores), it must pay the full exp price.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is one of my favorite monsters fluff-wise. An interesting combination of illusionist, skill monkey and flying brawler. The djinni is suposed to use it's wide array of abilities to outsmart the oponent-and then beat it to pulp. Medium BAB and only one good save to make up for the great mobility and versatile SLAs.

DracoDei:
    It's next on line.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-02-25 at 12:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh please, do the gray jester!
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

You have no "Lesser Wish" in the ability descriptions, only in the table.

Also, since Wing Dragons have so many abilities and such, I have an idea...
    Give them Poor BAB, 1d6+HALF Con modifier per level, all saves at 1+1/4(class level), and at first level(6+INT MOD)x2 skill points (not times 4). Each later level give them 3+1/2 INT MOD skill points. This basically makes each class level half a dragon HD, which makes things much smoother of a curve.

Stupid? Brilliant? What?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-02-25 at 09:08 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

*Bookmarked*

Does the rakshasa arcane soul stack with sorcerer levels?

Also requesting silver dragon if you have the time.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

17. - Top - End - #47

Wing Dragon

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d6
    {TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
    1 | +0 | +0|+2 |+0 |Wing Dragon body, Arcane blood , Limited spider climb, Fog immunity
    2| +1| +0|+3 |+0 | Improved Keen senses, Wings, Dogfighting
    3| +1| +1|+3| +1| Blindsense 90 feets, Know direction, +1 Dex, Smoke Breath
    4| +2| +1| +4|+1 | Unblinking, scent bonus feat, Sneack attack+1d6
    5| +2| +1| +4| +1| Evasion, WingClaws Limited Snatch, +1 Cha
    6| +3| +2|+5 |+2 | Heroic Idiocy, Bonus Feat, Weather Master
    7| +3| +2| +5| +2|Uncanny Dodge, Bonus Feat
    8| +4| +2| +6| +2| Sneack attack +2d6, Create Air, Control Winds.
    9| +4| +3|+6 | +3| Expeditious Movement, Fast Healing, +1 Dex
    10| +5| +3|+7|+3 | Improved Uncanny Dodge, Control Weather, Freedom of the Clouds
    11| +5| +3| +7|+3 | Tail slap, Growth, Iron Scales, Arcane Skin
    12| +6| +4| +8|+4 | On your Tail, Walk Among Them, Reactive Casting Sneack attack +3d6
    13| +6| +4| +8| +4|Improved Evasion, Bonus Feat, +1 Cha
    14| +7| +4| +9| +4| Frightfull presence, Growth, crush.
    15| +7| +5| +9| +5| Breath of Dreams, Cats Grace, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    16| +8| +5| +10| +5| Sneack attack +4d6, True Haste, Watch This!
    17| +8| +5| +10|+5 | Defensive Roll , +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    18| +9| +6|+11|+6 | True Seeing, +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    19 | +9| +6| +11| +6| Flying Skill Mastery , +1 Dex, +1 Cha
    20| +10| +6| +12| +6| Growth, tail sweep, Sneack attack +5d6
    [/TABLE]
    2 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. The class skills for a Wing Dragon are: Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft(Sky Painting), Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Heal, Hide, Knowledge (Any), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Search, and Tumble.

Proefeciencies: a wing dragon isn't proefecient with any armor or weapons, besides his own natural weapons.

Features:

Wing dragon Body:
    The blue dragon loses all other racial bonuses, and gains Dragon traits, fire subtype, bite 1d8 damage, 2 claws attack for 1d6 damage each and 30 base speed, medium size. The wing dragon has wings, but they're too weak to do anything for now. His claws are capable of fine manipulation and can be used for somatic components of spellcasting or anything else a human hand could do.

The Wing dragon also gets a natural armor bonus equal to half his Con modifier. Whenever the wing dragon grows one size category, his natural armor increases by a further 1.

The wing's dragon color changing scales allow them a bonus to Hide checks in any particular environment equal to 3+1/2HD+ Intelligence modifier. This only applies to on specific environment/color scheme at a time. If the background against which the dragon is attempting to hide changes they lose this bonus until they reenter the old environment or take a move equivalent action to change their scale colors. If the dragon takes at least ten minutes to study a specific spot it plans to hide in and then spends at least two minutes to change her scales to perfectly match that exact local then this bonus changes to 2 + Hit Dice + Intelligence modifier while hiding their. At any given time the Dragon can remember 1 + 1/2 HD + Intelligence modifier such scale patterns. These can also be used to memorize other similar complex scale patterns. If used as part of a disguise check this (together with their polymorphic wings) gives a +5 modifier to attempt to disguise as any other dragon (specific individual or general type).

Fog Immunity (Su): Wing Dragons can see through any type of gas, liquid, or particulate matter as if it were clear. This includes magical fogs and effects, including its own breath weapon. (none of which stops them from seeing things they can see through with perfect clarity, but they can also see through it, and if that doesn't make sense, just keep repeating "It's Magic!" to yourself until it does). Note that if the predominant material limits the quality of vision, but the substance(s) suspended in it do not. Thus they could see through mud, provided it was over half water by volume, as well as they could see through water, but could not see through lava just because it had impurities in it.

Arcane Blood:A wing dragon receives spells known and spells per day as a bard of same level, but he casts as a sorceror and takes his spells known from the sorceror/wizard spell list and one of the following domains: air, healing or travel. The wing dragon doesn't gain any special ability from those domains, but can change it when it rests and recovers spells.

If it multiclasses as a bard it's spellcasting increases as a bard.
    If it multiclasses as a sorceror it counts as already having sorceror casting depending on it's dragon level, as shown on the following table.

{table]Dragon level | Virtual sorceror casting
    1|-
    2|1
    3|2
    4|3
    5|4
    6|5
    7|6
    8|6
    9|7
    10|8
    11|8
    12|9
    13|10
    14|10
    15|11
    16|12
    17|12
    18|13
    19|13
    20|13
    [/table]

So for example a dragon 2 who takes a level of sorceror would count as already having 1 level of sorceror and gains the spell slots and spell knowns that a sorceror gains when leveling from level 1 to 2, but not the spell slots and spell knowns from the 1st level of sorceror. He would get the familiar ability, but dragon levels wouldn't count for it.

A dragon 18 who takes a level of sorceror would count as having 14 levels of sorceror(13+1) and gain the spell slots and spell knowns that a sorceror gains when leveling from level 13 to 14, but not the spell slots and spell knowns that a sorceror gets from level 1 to 13, nor the familiar ability

His Caster level remains equal to his full HD when multiclassing to sorceror.

If a dragon takes a casting prc, it may choose to advance his casting as that of a sorceror. So a dragon 10/loremaster 10 would cast as a 18th level sorceror (he would still receive spell slots and spells knowns from a bard 10 from the first 10 dragon levels and then the spell slots and spell knowns from a sorceror 11-18 for the loremaster levels)

Limited Spider Climb (Su):
    This works as per Spider Climb, except that movement is only 5 feet per round while climbing, and ANY solid surface can be attached to, not just one that a normal spider could climb. Any slickness short of that provided by Oil of Slipperiness does nothing to prevent this. Thus a Wing Dragon can land and cling to a Wall of Force (even upside down to an horizontal one), melting icy cliff, or just merely a wooden palisade. Note, however, that those last two might collapse under the dragon's weight. This ability is always active.

Improved Draconic Senses (Ex): A dragon sees six times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and three times as well in normal light. It also has darkvision out to 180 feet, and blindsense that can pinpoint creatures within a distance of 90 feet. In the case of blindsense remember that opponents the dragon can't actually see still have total concealment against the dragon, and also that Create Air reduces the range of Blindsense to 60 feet (as well as imposing a -4 penalty to Listen checks within it).

In adition, the Wing dragon also gains +1 to spot and listen checks for every 4HD it has.

Wings:The Wing dragon becomes able to fly at the speed of 15 feets per HD, with good maneuverability. Each wing can also be now used to deliver a natural atack dealing 1d4 damage.

Dogfight (Ex):
    A Wing Dragon may use the tumble skill while airborne, substituting their flight speed for their ground movement rate in calculating how far they may move.

Smoke breath (Su): The breath weapon of the Wing Dragon is harmless magical smoke. It is unique and peculiar among dragons. Of primary interest to sages is that, strictly speaking, it really is absolutely harmless. Many an awe struck peasant gazing at a Wing Dragon's 'Sky painting' would believe this. Anyone who has ever fought a Wing Dragon would agree with every technical point but declare the conclusion of 'harmless' to be complete ivory tower nonsense. Also unusual is that they may utilize it every round instead of every 1d4 rounds. It is non-toxic, completely odorless, and its magical properties preclude it being concentrated enough to displace breathable air measurably. However the Wing Dragon can exercise an amazing amount of control over it. The color can be altered as a free action to anything from completely transparent (which doesn't mean that the visibility improves if the area also contains another type of fog, smoke, or dust), to a black mist sufficient to turn high noon into pitch dark (and worse yet a pitch dark that darkvision can't see through), to any shade, color, and opacity you can imagine. It can also be made to glow in any color and any intensity the Wing Dragon wishes, up to and including illuminating everything within it and for 20 feet around it as a light spell. A darkness spell that overcomes the light effect does not destroy the fog, but merely prevents the fog from glowing within its area of effect and turns the area dark as it normally would. At any one time a Wing Dragon may maintain a cloud or clouds of totally opaque fog equal to the amount it could expel in 10 rounds, provided it is within 1 mile per each 2HD. Any excess dissipates, however the Wing Dragon may choose which parts to have dissipate. Once per round, as a move action, part of a move action, or as part of expelling its breath weapon, a Wing Dragon may manipulate its fog changing the color, glow, etc of each part. It may move as many cubes at it likes, but each may move no more than 10' x the Wing Dragons 1/2HD. Note that for purposes of Sky Painting the Barnstormer is in NO way restricted to 5' cubes... they can make doll-sized fog sculptures if they so chose... 5' cubes are merely as simplification for combat purposes.

The Wing dragon can produce the following number of cubes depending on it's HD:
    Spoiler
    Show

3-9 cubes
    4-27 cubes
    8-61 cubes
    12-116 cubes
    20-197 cubes

Unblinking (Ex): A wing dragon cannot be dazed, dazzled, blinded, or otherwise harmed by light. This includes these conditions brought upon by spells dealing with light, such as Flare, and damage from Sunbeam, but not Blindness/Deafness. The exception is if the wing dragon causes such a condition on himself, so a wing dragon using celerity gets dazed despite this ability, for example.

Scent:
    as the srd ability.

Blindsense:
    as the regular ability, but it has a range of 90 feets.

Ability increase:
    The wing dragon gains a permanent +1 to Dex at levels 3, 9, 15 17, 18, 19

The wing dragon gains a permanent +1 to Cha at levels 5, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19.

Bonus Feat:Chosen from the following list:Hover, Flyby Attack, Faster Healing(From 'Masters of the Wild'), Wingover, Weapon Finesse, Expertise, Weapon Focus[dropped/flung Object only], Greater Weapon Focus[dropped/flung Object only] .

Sneack attack: As the rogue ability, dealing the indicated amount of damage.

Evasion: as the rogue abilit

Wingclaws (Su):
    Wing dragons shapechanging wings include the ability to grow a set of small claws at the joint where the wing fingers are. These are useless as weapons (including weilding any weapon except perhaps a hand crossbow) or for fine manipulation of most sorts, but can each hold an object of up to 1/20th of a light load and can release/throw (with a forward sweep of the wing) them. This means that when they gain the Limited Snatch ability listed below, they can drop up to 7 objects at a time (4 in the feet, 2 in the wingclaws, and 1 in the mouth).

Limited Snatch (Ex):
    The Dragon can drop any object(s) it holds as a free action (unaimed), or use a standard action to drop any number (aimed as a proficient weapons) or fling them aside (also counts as proficient attacks). Wing Dragons like dropping rocks and grenade like missiles (including bundles of smoke sticks which scatter as they fall), both as an exercise in skill and as a combat tactic to make up for their lack of offensive breath weapon.

Heroic Idiocy (Ex):
    Wing dragons gain a bonus equal to half their HD versus fear effects, when on the wing and in combat this bonus is doubled.

Weather Master (Ex): For purposes of wind effects wing dragons count as one size category bigger They are immune to damage from naturally occurring lightning and natural environmental temperatures (except those tinged with strong spiritual energies). Thus, while they could comfortably sunbathe in the light of a supernova at any range (at least until the blast wave of particles OTHER than photons hit them), but the flames that are natural to an infernal plane or those of the elemental plane of fire would give them trouble.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
    as the rogue ability.

Create Air (Sp): The Wing Dragon creates an envelop of continuously generated air around itself (and any creatures it is in contact with or comes in contact with at its option), allowing it to breath even underwater (although it will be giving off bubbles like crazy and surrounded in a "skin" of air) and to fly and breath in airless environments. This gives a +10 bonus on all saves against inhaled threats including the Druid spell Miasma and the internal claws of a Belker. While using this ability the Wing Dragon (and anyone in contact with it) can mostly only smell the air it is creating, and it is insulated to a degree from the minute motions of the air around it. For these reason it cannot use the Scent special quality if it has it while under the effects of this, and its blindsense is reduced to 60 feet. Wing Dragons may freely use their breath weapon as normal while using this ability.

Wing Dragon SLAs:
    The wing dragon can use the following SLAs at the following levels, 3/day each:

Know direction at 3rd level
    Control winds at 8th level.
    Control weather(as druid) at 10th level.
    Cat's grace at 15th level.
    True seeing at 18th level.

Expeditious Movement (Sp): A wing dragon may produce an effect similar to Expeditious Retreat except that if they cast it on themselves it affects ALL of their movement rates (not just land-speed) and instead of a flat bonus it doubles the movement rate. This ability is usable 3 times per day.

Fast healing:
    1 HP for every 10 turns.

Improved uncanny dodge: as the rogue ability.

Freedom of the Clouds (Su): For a total time per day of 1 round per Hit Die, a Wing Dragon with this ability can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if they were affected by the spell freedom of movement. This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds).

Growth:At 11th level the wing dragon grows to large size.
    At 14th level the wing dragon grows to huge size.
    At 20th level the wing dragon grows to gargantuan size.

Tail slap:The blue dragon can now make a tail slap attack dealing 1d8 damage(already taking in acount large size).

Arcane skin: The blue dragon gains SR equal to his HD+11.

Iron Scales: The blue dragon gains DR/magic equal to half his HD.

On your Tail (SU ):
    Wing dragons may expend spell slots to follow transportation and other effects to keep up with enemies or friends using teleportation and some other effects. This must be done within one round of the casting of the effect by the target being followed and requires using a spell slot equal to (or greater than) that of the spell or effect (including psionic powers) being copied, but can still do it even if no spell slots remain. If no spell slots of high enough level remain but still can cast for that day then expend two highest-level spell slots. If a spell or effect has multiple levels (for multiple classes) always use the lowest one. For spells that involve instantaneous relocation (as opposed to changing form or ONLY melding into objects) the wing dragon always arrives in the same relative position to where the creature being followed arrived as they were to the target when it transported unless this area contains a solid object and the spell being copied does not allow arrival within a solid object (For an example of spells or effects that in fact REQUIRES such an arrival, see Tree Stride and Teleport via Plants). In case of arrival within a solid object for a spell that doesn't normally allow such the dragon appears in the nearest open space, taking 1d6 for each 10' so displaced. For spells with a non-instantaneous duration the spell ends during the first turn for the wing dragon after the parallel effect ended for the target (or earlier if the wing dragon chooses and the spell can be ended at such a point). A Wing Dragon may expend 5 rounds of its Freedom of the Clouds ability overcome Dimensional Anchor or a similar effect to use On Your Tail for the duration of one such following.
    Examples of spells that can be followed using this include but are not limited to:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Astral Projection
    Banishment
    Binding (in which case any effect that frees the target creature also frees the wing dragon)
    Blink (can do at any point in its duration, not just when the spell is initially cast)
    Dimension Door
    Ethereal Jaunt
    Etherealness
    Gaseous Form
    Gate
    Imprisonment (any effect that frees the target creature also frees the Wing Dragon)
    Looking Glass (No Scrying, teleportation effect only. From "Master's of the Wild" p.90)
    Meld Into Stone
    Passwall
    Phase Door
    Plane Shift
    Prismatic Sphere (to follow a creature teleported by it)
    Prismatic Spray (to follow a creature teleported by it)
    Prismatic Wall (to follow a creature teleported by it)
    Refuge
    Shadow Walk
    Teleport(functions like Teleport, Greater)
    Teleportation Circle (functions like Teleport, Greater)
    Teleport, Greater
    Transport Via Plants
    Tree Stride(but only to remain in a particular tree, or to follow target. Following can be done flawlessly provided the dragon never delays more than 1 round behind the target's movement.)
    Temporal Stasis? (in which case any effect that frees the target creature also frees the Wing Dragon)
    Vanish(roll 1% chance of disintegration separately from object, dragon not subject to separate dispel magic, but may chose to follow object back if it is returned by that method as per the usual rule for this ability.)
    Word of Recall.

Walk Among Them (Su):
    As per "Alternate form" ability except as follows. A wing dragon can assume any the form of a generic member of a race with racial intelligence 3 or greater that is has had frequent contact with for at least one year which has a size class equal to or less than the wing dragon's natural form OR a half-wing dragon version of any such race as a standard action twice per day. The wing dragon retains its own dexterity score in alternate forms. If it decreases 2 or more size categories when using this ability to turn into a half-wing dragon then its maneuverability in that form improves by one step (usually to perfect). The dragon can remain in this alternate form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form. The form and half-dragon form for each race are each unique to the particular wing dragon, and may never be altered in appearance as a result of this ability (further magic may modify them normally however).

Reactive Casting (Su):
    Wing Dragons are the essence of speed and quick reactions to unpredictable circumstances. As such when using metamagic feats for spell casting abilities that do not have to have the slots filled beforehand, they do NOT require a full round action unless the base time is a full round action. This means, for instance, that they could cast an empowered quickened ray of frost as a 6th level spell as a free action (assuming of course that they had those feats, knew that spell, and had a 6th level spell available to cast it from). Note ESPECIALLY that this means that the Quicken Spell feat is an effective option for them, including for their innate sorcerous abilities.

Improved evasion:as the rogue ability.

Crush: The dragon can make a crush attack dealing 2d8 damage base, already taking in acount huge size
    Spoiler
    Show
    This special attack allows a flying or jumping dragon of at least Huge size to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents three or more size categories smaller than the dragon (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents).

A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the dragon’s body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC equal to that of the dragon’s breath weapon) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the dragon moves off them. If the dragon chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

A crush attack deals the indicated damage plus 1½ times the dragon’s Strength bonus (round down).

frightfull presence:The ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet × half the dragon's level are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the dragon. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + ½ dragon’s HD + dragon’s Cha modifier) remains immune to that dragon’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons ignore the frightful presence of other dragons.

Breath of Dreams ( Su):
    The Wing Dragon may now maintain the size and position of any of its fog clouds even in its sleep as if it was awake stationary. Complex patterns may require concentration checks at the GM's discretion.

True Haste (Su):
    As per Haste except that no bonus to base movement rate is given, but if the creature forgoes the extra attack granted, or does not attack in a given round it gains an additional move action (which may ONLY be used for movement), and it is single target only, with a range of touch. A Wing Dragon may use this ability 3 times per day. CL=HD, but only on himself.

Watch This! (Ex):
    Once per day, for a number of rounds equal to half it's HD, a Wing Dragon may raise its maneuverability to Perfect. This is a free action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Defensive Roll (Ex):
    A wing dragon can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than it otherwise would. Once per day, when it would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the wing dragon can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the wing dragon must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, it takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, it takes full damage. It must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute its defensive roll-if it is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC, it can't use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a creature to make a Reflex save for half damage, the wing dragon's evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Flying Skill Mastery (Ex):
    While flying, with the following skills the Wing Dragon may take 10 on a check even if stress and distractions would normally prevent it from doing so: Balance, Tumble, and Move Silently. This ability also applies to checks to avoid becoming lost, but for those the dragon doesn't have to be flying.

Tail sweep:
    This special attack allows a dragon of at least Gargantuan size to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30 feet (or 40 feet for a Colossal dragon), extending from an intersection on the edge of the dragon’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the dragon. A tail sweep automatically deals 2d6 plus 1½ times the dragon’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (DC equal to that of the dragon’s breath weapon).

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, DracoDei's creation is indeed filled with abilities, so following his sugestion I give it just a d6 HD, just 2+int skills per level and one good save, reflex, to make evasion relevant. Altough this is homebrewing, I'm really not very confortamble with non-standard save progressions and half int modifier to skills, so I do the closest thing possible.

Anyway, the result is a freakingly fast flier that can outrun pretty much anything and evade most obstacles. Sneack attack+dragon tons of weapons make it a powerfull damage machine, assuming you find a way of bypassing the weack BAB. Bonus to ability scores are scarce at the begginning but increase by the end of the class since the original monster didn't have much in the realm of high level abilities. His breath weapon doesn't do damage, but can be quite usefull with some imagination, and it can deliver death from above by making rocks fall. Somewhat fragile, but his air superiority should allow it to keep away from most dangers.

(Custom monster, original here )
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-07 at 04:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget the wisdom penalties and Pride in Grace at first level... they will make room to get them in the air and denying dex bonuses sooner (more-so the wisdom penalty since ability drain doesn't arrive until higher levels.. when it can get cured before "Pride in Grace" ever becomes an issue.). I mention this only because I haven't noticed any penalties in anything you have posted so far but I suspect that is because none of those creatures HAVE ability score penalties.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-02-25 at 02:44 PM.
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I mention this only because I haven't noticed any penalties in anything you have posted so far but I suspect that is because none of those creatures HAVE ability score penalties.
    The original troll's Int and Cha are abysmal, and the minotaur shouldn't be too bright either. Believe the red slaad also has some penalty at his brains. The wing dragon meanwhile reaches Wis 10 by young age. And none of it's abilities are tied to Wis, so it wouldn't matter much anyway.

Basicaly, I don't feel very well making a class that gives you ability score penalties. Since I'm cuting off the huge ability bonus, I may as well ignore any penalties. This are adventurers we're talking about, so they should be smarter/wiser than your average wild monster.

Also, you do mention in your original post that Pride in Grace is completely optional, and I believe the class is already pretty filled as it is. And as you pointed out, at higher levels it can easily be ignored with some restoration magic. But if you insist I'll add it.

pffh:
    Yes, a rakshasa's arcane soul with stack with normal sorceror levels.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-02-25 at 03:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Ability scores: See, to me, that just makes everything more boring. I would give every penalty the race has at first level in most cases, so that you can front-load as many of the goodies that make the race flavorful and unique to play as possible. Since that isn't the way you do things, I guess I will just sit back and let you do your thing, and then try to create my own version by modifying what your particular expertise spits out.

Pride In Grace: Nah, forget it... it is mostly a flavor ability, and it is almost never going to come up so leaving it out is the correct decision. Don't know what I was thinking.
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #51

Ability scores: See, to me, that just makes everything more boring. I would give every penalty the race has at first level in most cases, so that you can front-load as many of the goodies that make the race flavorful and unique to play as possible. Since that isn't the way you do things, I guess I will just sit back and let you do your thing, and then try to create my own version by modifying what your particular expertise spits out.
    Well, I also don't believe in too much frontloading at 1st level. It's harder to balance, in particular because you can leave those racial classes at any point, and I don't want to create super lv1 dips, or flying creatures at 1st-2nd level. I want to make the whole class worth taking, with lower levels giving weaker abilities and higher levels giving bigger abilities. Even then, the wing dragon is probably the Monster with more abilities I've done untill now.

Plus, a lot of players I know start above 1st level, and most monsters here should have most of their characteristic abilities with 3-4 levels. This is, a fighter/barbarian/rogue/ranger also isn't that hot in versatility at low levels.

And your Wing Dragon class should be finished now. Feel free to critisize it, I'll change any problem in wich I agree with you.

EDIT: Changed the flying and dogfighting for 2nd level, in return puting the smoke breath at 3rd level and unblinking+scent at 4th level. This way you can be your flying biting machine earlier than anyone else, but you must wait a little more for the rest.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-02-25 at 03:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Getting up to speed by 3rd level, rather than 4th is quite satisfactory.

For the moment all I have noted that you missed is that you never copied in the number of cubes they can expel per round into the chart, and, unless I missed it, you didn't edit it into the chart either.

(More as I find time and motivation)
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-02-25 at 03:48 PM.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #53

For the moment all I have noted that you missed is that you never copied in the number of cubes they can expel per round into the chart, and, unless I missed it, you didn't edit it into the chart either.
    Hmm, completely missed that, added a little table to the smoke breath section.

24. - Top - End - #54

Grimlock

Spoiler
    Show

1|+ 1|+0|+2 | + 2|Grimlock body, Blindsight, Scent, +1 Str, Camouphlage.
    [/table]

Skills:
    2+int modifier per level Its class skills are Climb, Hide, Move silently Jump, Balance, Listen, and Spot.

Proefeciencies:
    Simple weapons and battleaxe.

Features:

Grimlock body: The Grimlock loses all other racial bonus and gains monstruous humanoid traits (basicaly darkvision 60 feet). A grimlock is a medium monstruous humanoid with base speed 30. A grimlock is blind, wich results in him not being able to see but also to be immune against any sight based attacks like gaze attacks. The grimlock can still detect enemies with his blindsight and scent abilities.

A grimlock adds his Con modifier to his natural armor bonus.

Ability increase:a grimlock gains +1 Str

Scent: As the SRD.

Blindsight:40feets, and an extra 5 feets per extra HD from here.

Camouphlage:
    The grimlock gains 3+HD to hide checks when in mountain or underground settings.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now this was a quick one. The grimlock is blind, but gets blindsight and scent togheter with Nat armor and extra strenght, making it a good start for brutish characters.

25. - Top - End - #55

Awakened Skeleton

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d12
    1|+ 0|+0|+0 | + 2|Skeleton body, Cold as death, +1 Dex
    [/table]

Skills:2+int modifier per level, no class skills

Proefeciencies:Simple weapons and it's own natural weapons.

Features:

Skeleton body: a skeleton loses all other racial modifiers and gains the following undead traits
    Spoiler
    Show
    * No Constitution score.
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    * Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    * Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    * Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    * Heals naturaly.
    * Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    * Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    * Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    * Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

The skeleton is a medium sized undead with two natural claw attacks dealing 1d4 damage each and base speed 30. The skeleton takes no penalty for attacking with both claws at the same time. Any class levels the skeleton takes have their HD increased to d12.

In adition, a skeleton gains a Nat armor bonus equal to it's Str.

Cold as death:The skeleton gains resistance to cold equal to it's HD and DR/bludgeoding equal to half it's HD.

Ability increase:
    The awakened skeleton gains +1 Dex.

Comments:

Spoiler
    Show
    Well yeah, the skeleton is a template and not a race on itself, but since it was requested I did my best here.

Basicaly, 1 level gets the amazing undead traits. As the skeleton grows it's DR and cold resistance do as well. In return crappy skills, BAB and saves. Either you're an evil yourself or get one to patch you up because heal spells will hurt you.

Necropolitan technicaly is weaker and costs 1,5 levels and some gold, but you'll then catch up with the rest of the party thanks to the experience bonus for being lower level, while this skeleton class will always leave you a level behind the party.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-07-13 at 07:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Vargouille

Spoiler
    Show

1|+ 0|+0|+2 | + 0|Vargouille body, Wings, Poison.
    2|+ 1|+0|+3 | + 0|Evil soul, Shriek, Kiss
    [/table]

Skills:
    2+int modifier per level Its class skills are Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently , Spot

Proefeciencies:
    It's own natural weapon.

Features:
    Vargouille body:
    The Vargouille loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits (basicaly darkvision 60 feets). It is a small sized outsider. It has no limbs or torso so it doesn't have a land speed nor can it do any kind of fine manipulation or wielding weapons. It has a natural bite attack dealing 1d4 damage. The vargouill may carry objects in it's mouth, but can't do anything more complex.

Wings:
    The Vargoille has wings attached to it's head, allowing it to fly at a speed of 30 feets with good maneuverability.

Poison:
    Injury, Fortitude DC 10+1/2HD+Con or be unable to heal the vargouille’s bite damage naturally or magically. A neutralize poison or heal spell removes the effect, while delay poison allows magical healing.

Evil Soul:
    The argouille gains the evil subtype and it's attacks count as evil aligned for bypassing DR.

Shriek (Su)
    Instead of biting, a vargouille can open its distended mouth and let out a terrible shriek. Those within 60 feet (except other vargouilles) who hear the shriek and can clearly see the creature must succeed on a DC 10+1/2HD+Con Fortitude save or be paralyzed with fear for 2d4 rounds or until the monster attacks them, goes out of range, or leaves their sight. A paralyzed creature is susceptible to the vargouille’s kiss (see below). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same vargouille’s shriek for 24 hours. The shriek is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Kiss (Su):A vargouille can kiss a paralyzed target with a successful melee touch attack. An affected opponent must succeed on a DC 10+HD+Con Fortitude save or begin a terrible transformation that turns the creature into a vargouille within 24 hours (and often much sooner; roll 1d6 separately for each phase of the transformation).

First, over a period of 1d6 hours, all the victim’s hair falls out. Within another 1d6 hours thereafter, the ears grow into leathery wings, tentacles sprout on the chin and scalp, and the teeth become long, pointed fangs. During the next 1d6 hours, the victim takes Intelligence drain and Charisma drain equal to 1 point per hour (to a minimum of 3). The transformation is complete 1d6 hours later, when the head breaks free of the body (which promptly dies) and becomes a vargouille. This transformation is interrupted by sunlight, and even a daylight spell can delay death, but to reverse the transformation requires remove disease.

Comments:

Spoiler
    Show
    So yeah another bizzarre monster. The Vargouille is a flying head that bites, screams and poisons. It can fly at first level, and gets a save or die at second but the lack of hands is a brutal disadvantage. Notice the Kiss DC counts your full HD for the DC, not just half.

Not a lot of classes will work well with this monster, but a Vargoiulle barbarian or any ToB class should produce a quite interesting result.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-02-26 at 07:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I really admire your dedication, if I could be this constant and persistent with my own projects, maybe I could even finish some of them! You are inspiring!
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

28. - Top - End - #58

Balor

Spoiler
    Show

{TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
    1 | +1 | +2|+0 |+2 |Balor body, Fiend whip, +1 Str
    2| +2| +3|+0 |+3 | Demon, Flaming body +1 Con
    3| +3| +3|+1| +3| Abyss Skin, +1 Str
    4| +4| +4| +1|+4 | Wings, +1 Con
    5| +5| +4| +1| +4| Growth, Entangle, +1 Str
    6| +6| +5|+2 |+5 |Dispel magic, +1 Con
    7| +7| +5| +2| +5| Summon demon, +1 Cha
    8| +8| +6| +2| +5| Executor, +1 Str
    9| +9| +6|+3 |+6|Telekinesis, +1 Cha
    10| +10| +7|+3 |+7 |Teleport, +1 Con
    11| +11| +7| +3|+7 |True Seeing, +1 Cha, +1 Str
    12| +12| +8| +4|+8 | Firestorm, +1 Con
    13| +13| +8| +4| +8| Unholy Aura, +1 Cha, + Str
    14| +14| +9| +4| +9| Insanity, +1 Con
    15| +15| +9| +5| +9| Power Word Stun, +1 Cha, +1 Str
    16| +16| +10| +5| +10| Dominate Monster, +1 Con
    17| +17| +10| +5|+10 | Blasphemy, +1 Cha, +1 Str
    18| +18| +11|+6 |+11 | Implosion, +1 Con
    19 | +19| +11| +6| +11| +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha, +1 Dex
    20| +20| +12| +6| +12| Death throes, +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha, +1 Dex
    [/TABLE]
    Skills: 6+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level, class skills are Bluff , Concentration . Diplomacy , Disguise , Hide , Intimidate , Knowledge (any) , Listen , Move Silently , Search , Sense Motive , Spellcraft , Spot , Survival , Use Magic Device

Proefeciencies:Simple and martial weapons, whip, it's own natural weapons.

Features:

Balor body:
    The balor loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits (basicaly darkvision 60 feets). It's a medium sized outsider with base 40 feets and two natural slam attacks dealing 1d8 damage each.

The Balor also gains a bonus to Nat armor equal to his Con modifier.

Ability increase:
    The Balor gains +1 Str at levels 1, 3, 5, 8, 1, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20

The Balor gains +1 Con at levels 2, 4, 6, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20

The Balor gains +1 Cha at levels 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20

The Balor gains +1 Dex at levels 19 and 20

Fiend whip:The balor can, as a fullround acion, summon/dismiss a masterwork whip apropriate to his size wich deals bludgeoding and slashing damage regardless of the target's Nat armor/armor. The Balor takes no penalty for attacking with the whip in one hand and another weapon in the other.

At 4HD it summons/dismisses as a standard actin and the whip gains +1 enanchment bonus

At 8HD it summons/dismisses as a move action and the whip gains +1 enanchment bonus and the flaming property.

At 12HD it summons/dismisses as a swift action and the whip can be further enchanted as a normal weapon, keeping it's properties when dismissed.

Demon: gain resistance to electrecity and a bonus on saves against poison equal to his HD, and resistance to fire, acid and cold equal to half his HD. Plus telepathy 40 feets plus 10 feets for each extra HD from here. Also gains the evil and chaotic subtypes and his weapons/natural attacks count as evil and chaotic for bypassing DR.

Flaming body: As a swift action, can summon/dismiss flames around it's body wich deals 1d6 fire damage per 2HD against any grappling enemy.

Abyss Skin:The Balor gains DR/cold iron and good equal to half it's HD and SR equal to 11+HD.

Wings:
    The Balor can fly at the speed of 5 feets per HD, with good maneuverability.

Growth:
    Increase one size category.
    Entangle:The Balor's whip entangles foes much like an attack with a net. The whip has 5HP per HD. The whip needs no folding. If it hits, the target and the balor immediately make opposed Strength checks; if the balor wins, it drags the target against its flaming body. The target remains anchored against the balor’s body until it escapes the whip.

Summon demon:
    Once per day, the Balor can summon reinforcments, depending on it's HD:

7HD:4d10 dretches,
    12HD:1d4 hezrous,
    14HD:glabrezu
    16HD:nalfeshnee,
    18HD: marilith
    20HD: Another Balor

Those demons serve for 1 minute per HD and then disapear. They can't use their own summoning abilities.

Balor SLAs: When a spell apears in the entry, the Balor can use it as a SLA acertain number of times per day depending on it's HD. Saves are 10+1/2HD+Cha mod.

Dispel Magic:1/day for HD, upgrades to greater dispel magic at 11 HD.

Executor: As a swift action once per day per HD, the Balor can give the vorpal and flaming properties to any slashing weapon it wields for 1 round. At 20HD, this ability is active all the time.

Telekinesis:
    1/day for HD.

Teleport: 1/day for 3 HD, upgrades to greater teleport at 13HD.

True Seeing As the spell, permanent effect.

Firestorm:
    1/day for each 2HD.

Unholy Aura:
    1/day for each HD

Insanity:
    1/day for each 2HD
    Power Word Stun:1/day for each 2HD
    Dominate Monster:1/day for each HD
    Blasphemy:1/day for each 2HD
    Implosion:1/day for each 4HD
    Death throes:When killed, a balor explodes in a blinding flash of light that deals 2d6 points of damage per HD to anything within 5 feets per HD (Reflex DC 10+1/2 H+Con half).

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

Big, red an on fire, the Balor gets the best ability bonus so far, with a whooping +10 Str, +10 Con and +8 Cha.

In return, it is only a pseudo-caster instead of a true caster, plus slower and smaller than the dragons. Also most of his offensive SLAs are easily countered.

His SLAs only start kicking in at mid levels, so it must rely in melee at low levels. Executor grants a random don't save, just die, and with the whip, full BAB and extra Str he's quite good for frontal combat.

6 Skill points per level help counter the limited SLAs to give the Balor some utility, and finaly there's the summon demon power for some nova goodnes by summoning powerfull reinforcmens.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-09-21 at 01:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

We may need to commission you to do some monster classes for the VUACS project. Your work is impressive, not to mention quick.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

These are excellent! Impressive work, Oslecamo. When you get a chance, both Yuan-Ti and Thri-Kreen have a special place in my heart.
    Last edited by Eleven; 2010-02-26 at 09:03 AM.