New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

As Brass' Quarry ability goes, is there anything (beyond the spirit of the rules) to prevent a player from declaring that the rat they keep in a bag in their pocket is their 'Quarry', and taking a free +2 to AC and saves against all opponents?

Beyond that, and the curious nature of the Stained Glass Half-Golems, looks good.

2. - Top - End - #1352

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    As Brass' Quarry ability goes, is there anything (beyond the spirit of the rules) to prevent a player from declaring that the rat they keep in a bag in their pocket is their 'Quarry', and taking a free +2 to AC and saves against all opponents?
    Yes, that it has a clause that if you attack anyone besides the rat then you lose the bonus.

Beyond that, and the curious nature of the Stained Glass Half-Golems, looks good.
    Well, the original stained glass half-golem does have fast healing. And I wanted at least one of them to benefit from sonic damage. A wizard did it.

3. - Top - End - #1353

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Yes, that it has a clause that if you attack anyone besides the rat then you lose the bonus.
    It's still a +2 bonus to AC and saves to anyone willing to take it, until the golem takes an attack action. I'd specify that you could only target foes with a CR higher than your HD-2, just to prevent any abuse.

Well, the original stained glass half-golem does have fast healing. And I wanted at least one of them to benefit from sonic damage. A wizard did it.
    Fair enough.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know if you would be interested it it, but I have done a few things with this same sort of spirit, and I would love to post them.

I have the following:

Were-Spider
    Were-(Large Cat)
    Were-Serpent
    Were-Rat
    Were-Weasel
    Were-Shark
    Were-Coyote
    Duergar
    Svirfneblin
    Sahuagin

And the following Prcs

Goblin-Kin Shaman 5 level PRC (The difference between an Ogre and an Ogre-Mage, available for all brutes and beastial creatures.)

War-Giant 5 level PRC (The difference between a Troll and a War-Troll, available for all brutes and beastial creatures.)

I don't want to step on anyone's toes though, would you be interested in seeing any of these?
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-08-16 at 09:07 PM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

5. - Top - End - #1355

i just realized that you say the half golem has light fortification but under its tratis its immune to crits so its kind of redundant.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    i just realized that you say the half golem has light fortification but under its tratis its immune to crits so its kind of redundant.
    You gain light fortification if you pass the save, and cosntruct traits (including immune to crits) if you fail. They're two different options.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ettin in the Playground

Psionic Mindflayer

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d6
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Illithid, Telepathy, Mind Over Body, +1 Int
    2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Mental Prowess, +1 Int
    3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Resistance, +1 Int
    4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Lesser Mind Blast, +1 Cha
    5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Improved Grab, Extraction, +1 Int
    6|+3|+2|+2|+5|Telepath, +1 Int
    7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Greater Mind Blast, +1 Cha
    8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Mind and Body, +1 Int
    9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Ulitharid, +1 Str, +1 Int
    10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Grasping Tentacles, +1 Str, +1 Cha
    11|+5|+3|+3|+7|Improved Extraction, +1 Str, +1 Int
    12|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Mental Pinnacle, +1 Str, +1 Int, +1 Cha
    [/table]
    Skills:2+Int
    Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Listen, Psicraft, and Spot.

Proficiencies:a mind flayer is proficient with simple weapons and its own natural weapons.

Features:
    Illithid: At 1st level, the Mindflayer loses all other racial bonus and gets aberration traits (including darkvision 60'). He's a medium sized aberration creature with base speed 30' and 4 tentacles as primary natural attacks around its mouth which deal 1d4+1/2 Str damage each.
    If the Illithid coup de graces a monster and kills it with its tentacles, it can eat its brains.
    The Illithid gets a natural armor bonus equal to his Charisma modifier.

Telepathy:An Illithid gains telepathy with a range of 10' per HD. He may demoralize or feint as a swift action against any foe he is in mental contact with; those immune to mind affecting cannot be affected by this, and any others may make a will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod) to block out the Illithid for 24 hours. Those who fail their save may not attempt another for 24 hours.

Mind Over Body: The Illithid's central nervous system encroaches all over his body, each muscle fiber directly wired to the brain. It may use his intelligence modifier for all attack rolls, as opposed to any other ability score.

Ability Score Increases: The Mindflayer gains a bonus to Intelligence at every level but 4, 7, and 10, a bonus to Charisma at levels 4, 7, 10 & 12, and a bonus to Strength at levels 9 through 12, for a total of +9 Intelligence, +4 Charisma and +4 Strength at level 12.

Mental Prowess: The Illithid manifests as a psion of a discipline of its choice and of a level equal to its class levels-1.

Resistance: The Illithid gains SR equal to 11+HD.

Lesser Mind Blast: As a standard action, the Illithid can discharge a bolt of devastating psionics at any within 60'; the target is stunned for 1d4 rounds (which increases to 2d4 at 8 HD and by another 1d4 every 4 HD thereafter) unless they succeed on a will save DC (10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier). The Illithid can expend a number of power points equal to its HD to increase the DC by 1, or 2x its HD to increase the DC by 2.

Improved Grab:To use this ability, an Illithid must hit a creature no more than one size category larger than it with a tentacle attack. In doing so, it may make initiate a grapple as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunities. If the grab is successful, on its next action the Illithid may attempt to attach its remaining tentacles with a single grapple check. The target can escape all the tentacles with a single grapple check, but the Illithid gets a +2 bonus to oppose this check for each of its tentacles beyond the first that is attached to the target.

Extraction: When grappling an opponent with his tentacles, on each round of the grapple, the Illithid does 1 point of damage to any mental ability score of the opponent, Illithid's choice. For each point of mental ability score damage it does, the Illithid regains 1 HP or 1 PP.
    In addition, the Illithid deals extra acid damage equal to its Charisma modifier while grappling for each attached tentacle.

Telepath: If the Illithid chose telepathy for his psionic discipline, he henceforth gains a +1 bonus to DCs of his powers from the telepathy discipline. This bonus increases to +2 at 13 HD, and +3 at 19 HD.
    If the Illithid did not choose the telepathy discipline, he instead adds psionic charm to his powers known as a 2nd level power. Once able to manifest 5th level powers, he adds dominate to his powers known as a 5th level power. Once able to manifest 7th level powers, he adds mind probe to his powers knows as a 7th level power. The power points on each power is adjusted accordingly.

Greater Mind Blast: Beginning at 7th level, the Illithid's mind blast is now a cone with the same range and the power point cost for DC improvements is reduced by half. In addition, he may expend PP equal to 2x his HD to increase the DC by +3.

Mind And Body: Starting at 8th level, in the same round while the Illithid attacks with a tentacle, it may reduce the casting time of a standard or move action power to a swift action.

Ulitharid:At 9th level, the Illithid's full potential is realized, and he grows to a mighty Ulitharid.
    First, he grows to large size (tall), gaining +1 natural armor (on top of his previous natural armor). Tentacle damage increases to 1d6+str mod.
    Second, he gains 2 additional, longer tentacles. These have a 15 foot reach, and deal 1d8+1.5x str modifier, as well as the acid damage from Extraction.
    Third, all illithids treat him as one step friendlier than they normally would. This only applies to normal or templated Illithids, but not Illithidae, Mother Brains, Urophions, other Ulitharids, etc.

Grasping Tentacles: The Ulitharid gains the improved trip feat for the purposes of his longer tentacles. Any opponent he trips is dragged into a square immediately adjacent to himself, should he so choose. If he successfully trips the opponent, he immediately establishes a hold.

Improved Extraction: When grappling an opponent with his tentacles, the Ulitharid instead deals 1 damage to each mental ability score, thus gaining 3 HP, 3 PP, or any combination thereof. Additionally, he may now use either his Intelligence or Charisma modifier for the extra acid damage.
    Finally, at 14 HD the damage to each ability score is increased by 1, as well as the bonuses gained from dealing ability score damage. It increases by a further 1 at 17 HD and every 3 HD thereafter.

Mental Pinnacle: All powers with a standard action casting time are reduced to a swift action. Note that the Ulitharid now may not use a standard action to manifest a power. This ability supersedes Mind and Body.
    Using the quicken power metapsionic feat or using a power with a swift or immediate action allows him to exceed his normal allotments of swift actions per round by one, and only one.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2011-03-10 at 09:19 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

8. - Top - End - #1358

I'd like to request Aboleths and Psion-Killers, if that is alright.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

9. - Top - End - #1359

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    So you ended up giving it powerfull melee tentacles after all
    Perhaps too powerfull. Your ithlid can get 5 attacks in a single round right at level 1. Then they deal acid damage on top later.

Improved grab doesn't explain what happens if the meal has two or more mental scores with the same value.

Your extraction option of feeding of charisma suffers from serious stacking abuse. In particular at high level everything has high charisma. Unless you're in an undead/construct campaign your mind flayer can easily double or even triple his Int score during your average adventuring day.

Ghaele's up next.
    Not if I can do something about it. You see, the Ghaele was requested by Eldariel. Wich was one of the persons who inspired me to get this project started. Wich made very explicit that one shouldn't delay spell progression whitout a very good reason. I'll take care of it myself like I took care of the Solar.

Plus, favored soul casting as you sugested sucks because it's not in the srd, wich would makes the class automatically useless to a lot of people.

Speaking of wich,

Reduced the Tarrasque's Bab to medium since he's suposed to be more about brute Str and not skill.

Removed the Ethergaunt's Nat Armor and added a penalty to make it unable to cast defensively.Both changes make the ethergaunt more frail as it should be. Lack of familiar, race and bonus feats should balance it with the wizard at low levels now.

ChumpLump:
    This thread is always open for new monster class creators that agree with the general rules. Feel free to show what you got. But monster prcs that don't replicate templates would be better suited for other thread.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-17 at 06:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, all in all, Favored Soul spellcasting is just Sorcerer spellcasting with the Cleric spell list. Not a big stretch from the dragons here that have Bard spellcasting with the Sor/Wiz list.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #1361

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Eh, all in all, Favored Soul spellcasting is just Sorcerer spellcasting with the Cleric spell list. Not a big stretch from the dragons here that have Bard spellcasting with the Sor/Wiz list.
    Somewhat diferent since the FS is based off two stats but sorceror spellcasting with cleric spell list, now that's more like it.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=Oslecamo;9160599]So you ended up giving it powerfull melee tentacles after all[/spoiler]
    ...Sorta.
    Perhaps too powerfull. Your ithlid can get 5 attacks in a single round right at level 1. Then they deal acid damage on top later.
    Well, I think it's just silly to have the whole "gain tentacles slowly" thing... but, I think I'll reduce them to 1d4+1/2 str.

Improved grab doesn't explain what happens if the meal has two or more mental scores with the same value.
    Mmm. True.

Your extraction option of feeding of charisma suffers from serious stacking abuse. In particular at high level everything has high charisma. Unless you're in an undead/construct campaign your mind flayer can easily double or even triple his Int score during your average adventuring day.
    Hmmm... I meant to put in somewhere that it doesn't stack.

Not if I can do something about it. You see, the Ghaele was requested by Eldariel. Wich was one of the persons who inspired me to get this project started. Wich made very explicit that one shouldn't delay spell progression whitout a very good reason. I'll take care of it myself like I took care of the Solar.
    I've already said twice that I was going to do the ghaele, and you're telling me this now, when I've already worked on it?
    Oh, and the reason one should delay spell progression is if you make mistakes like the ethergaunt. It's still more powerful than a vanilla wizard.

Plus, favored soul casting as you sugested sucks because it's not in the srd, wich would makes the class automatically useless to a lot of people.
    I know: I was going to include that if you don't have CDivine, then you can just cast as a sorcerer with a cleric spell list.

Both changes make the ethergaunt more frail as it should be. Lack of familiar, race and bonus feats should balance it with the wizard at low levels now.
    Should it? We both know that a familiar only exists to be traded out for an ACF, and scribe scroll is next to useless. Enslave is significantly more powerful than a bonus metamagic feat- you're getting a slightly nerfed dominate monster, at will, at level 5. Oh, and blindsense! And SR! And a free action attack!

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

reading all the disscusion about the tarrasque, with the name "Mr. T" Flying around like that, I shocked and surprised no-body's made a "pity tha foo'" joke yet.

@chumplump: The were-weasle and were-spider sound interesting, shrinking down as opposed to growth, as we've had with the other were-X classes here. I myself would like to see them, others permiting.
    your two PrCs look interesting too, and I'd like to see them posted, but is the CR difference between an Ogre and Ogre mage really 5? for that matter, is the difference between a Troll and War-troll also CR 5? or are you falling on the classic 3/5/10/20 class level set-ups?

As far as I know, no-one else is working on those ones...
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

14. - Top - End - #1364

Well, I think it's just silly to have the whole "gain tentacles slowly" thing... but, I think I'll reduce them to 1d4+1/2 str.
    Well lots of other monsters here only develop their full natural weapons as they gain levels.

Hmmm... I meant to put in somewhere that it doesn't stack.
    I've already said twice that I was going to do the ghaele, and you're telling me this now, when I've already worked on it?
    You had said nothing about Caster-1 with favored soul untill now.

Oh, and the reason one should delay spell progression is if you make mistakes like the ethergaunt. It's still more powerful than a vanilla wizard.
    With the current version that's very discussable.

I know: I was going to include that if you don't have CDivine, then you can just cast as a sorcerer with a cleric spell list.
    Why don't do it right out of the bat?

Should it? We both know that a familiar only exists to be traded out for an ACF,
    First familiars can be quite powerfull if used properly. Second there's plenty of powerfull alternate class features to trade said familiar for. Abrupt jaunt wizard for one.

and scribe scroll is next to useless.
    Ok this is just wrong. Scribe scroll is one of the main weapons on the wizard's arsenal at low levels. Crafting low-level scrolls is dirty cheap and allows the wizard to bypass it's main weakness at low levels, really few spells per day. Even later it remains usefull if you can't afford to geting other item creation feats and for having situational spells at hand that aren't worth making a wand/staff for. A couple scrolls of disintregate for example comes in handy for busting the ocasional wall of force, but it's not worth it to craft a staff of disintregate.

And even if you don't like it you can still swap it for plenty of other usefull stuff.

Enslave is significantly more powerful than a bonus metamagic feat- you're getting a slightly nerfed dominate monster, at will, at level 5. Oh, and blindsense! And SR! And a free action attack!
    At will? It has always been 1/day for every 5 HD you have!

Blindsense can be obtained with a familiar.

The SR is powerfull but the ethergaunt can't cast defensively so other spellcasters can just get close and stab him repeatedely with a dagger if they don't have SR:No spells.

I'm afraid I don't know what you're refering to with a free action attack in the first 5 levels.
    Ah the stupefying gaze. Well considering that it can be used like twice per day, short range and it just deals 1d4 damage allowing a save it's more of a fluff ability than anything else. Ok it may one-shot the ocasional animal, but besides that most oponents won't be really bothered by 1d4 damage to one of their mental stats.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-17 at 11:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Orc in the Playground

Just saying, but we don't adhere to the HD-by-type outlined in the SRD, nor the skill points. That way lies madness.

That said, the class is a little (read: extremely) weak at 1st-2nd level, it should scale (The DCs listed are hard DCs, where they should rise as the Tsochar advances), the class details the poison application twice, and the spell slot thing is a little bizarre, and should probably be reworked.
    The idea is that he is supposed to be extremely frail in the beginning and eventually protects himself by occupying a host; but, I understand what you mean, how do you suggest I fix the first two levels?

The spell slot thing is straight out of the creatures entry so I'm sorry it is unclear.

Edit: I added some ability increases to try and help make it a little stronger

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ettin in the Playground

First familiars can be quite powerfull if used properly. Second there's plenty of powerfull alternate class features to trade said familiar for. Abrupt jaunt wizard for one.
    Obtain Familiar feat > Familiar class feature. It is generally agreed upon that you should ditch your familiar for whatever alternate class features are avaiable and then grab it with the feat if you really want a familiar. It will stack with all your caster levels, not just the levels in the class that gave the familiar.

Obviously, there are feat starved exceptions, for when you need the familiar but can't spare a feat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #1367

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Obtain Familiar feat > Familiar class feature. It is generally agreed upon that you should ditch your familiar for whatever alternate class features are avaiable and then grab it with the feat if you really want a familiar. It will stack with all your caster levels, not just the levels in the class that gave the familiar.
    Main point is, whetever you keep the familiar or swap it for something else it will be quite usefull. The ethergaunt can't get abrupt jaunt or an extra feat or whatever other ACF the basic wizard has for swaping the familiar.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ettin in the Playground

Well lots of other monsters here only develop their full natural weapons as they gain levels.
    True.

You had said nothing about Caster-1 with favored soul untill now.
    What's wrong with that? Aside from favored soul. Is there anything inherently wrong with CL-1? Besides, the ghaele is primarily a warrior, not a caster.
    It's not a cleric ACF. It's a monster class. I want to feel like I'm playing a badass eladrin warrior, not a cleric with some SLAs! It's one of the reasons I will never ever play an angel, here. It's not an angel- it just looks like one.

With the current version that's very discussable.
    It's discussable, yes. It's not much more powerful than an optimized wizard. An optimized the most powerful class in the game. Don't do people's optimizing for them!

Why don't do it right out of the bat?
    There's a very good reason I haven't actually posted it yet. Aside from having only actually hammered out 6 levels of abilities.

The cheesy one that most people ban?

Ok this is just wrong. Scribe scroll is one of the main weapons on the wizard's arsenal at low levels. Crafting low-level scrolls is dirty cheap and allows the wizard to bypass it's main weakness at low levels, really few spells per day. Even later it remains usefull if you can't afford to geting other item creation feats and for having situational spells at hand that aren't worth making a wand/staff for. A couple scrolls of disintregate for example comes in handy for busting the ocasional wall of force, but it's not worth it to craft a staff of disintregate.
    You can just buy them, for only twice the price, and not the steep, steep cost of xp. Levels are a wizard's greatest asset, as they grow in power quadratically. It's debatable, but I take the side of no-crafting.

At will? It has always been 1/day for every 5 HD you have!
    Sorry... I meant... something else.

Blindsense can be obtained with a familiar.
    Can it? Damn, that's more cheesy than a hummingbird familiar.

The SR is powerfull but the ethergaunt can't cast defensively so other spellcasters can just get close and stab him repeatedely with a dagger if they don't have SR:No spells.
    It's called a 5 foot step. My casters make good use of it, and never have to take AoOs.

Ah the stupefying gaze. Well considering that it can be used like twice per day, short range and it just deals 1d4 damage allowing a save it's more of a fluff ability than anything else. Ok it may one-shot the ocasional animal, but besides that most oponents won't be really bothered by 1d4 damage to one of their mental stats.
    It can kill one of these, at a low level, as a free action.

Even the ethergaunt in the FF had casting equal to its CR-3. Just make it CL-1 and you don't have to jump through these hoops!
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-08-17 at 02:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1369

What's wrong with that? Aside from favored soul. Is there anything inherently wrong with CL-1? Besides, the ghaele is primarily a warrior, not a caster.
    Says who? It does have full casting.

It's not a cleric ACF. It's a monster class. I want to feel like I'm playing a badass eladrin warrior, not a cleric with some SLAs! It's one of the reasons I will never ever play an angel, here. It's not an angel- it just looks like one.
    Again depends on your view of an "angel". I always saw them as being divine beings first and warriors second.

It's discussable, yes. It's not much more powerful than an optimized wizard. An optimized the most powerful class in the game. Don't do people's optimizing for them!
    I'm not doing. I've seen even sorcerors take scribe scroll, and half my play groups love their familiars and the other half loves the juicy things you can swap it for.

The cheesy one that most people ban?
    Ok kinda of an extreme example but there's plenty of others like the summoning one that allows you to summon as a standard action.

You can just buy them, for only twice the price, and not the steep, steep cost of xp. Levels are a wizard's greatest asset, as they grow in power quadratically. It's debatable, but I take the side of no-crafting.
    Experience is a river. Being one level behind will actualy result in an exp bonus. Wich you can use to basically double your gold wich is pretty damn good. I had campaigns where every single copper was spent on item crafting to maximize our wealth.

Or swap it for another ACF.

It's called a 5 foot step. My casters make good use of it, and never have to take AoOs.
    Where do you 5 foot step when you're surrounded by kobolds or adjacent to that ogre/orc with spiked chain?

It can kill one of these, at a low level, as a free action.
    Assuming the purple wurm doesn't just burrow below and 1-hit kills the low level ethergaunt. My money's on the purple wurm. Wich is one of those big dumb non reach non flying monsters that's easy prey for any caster anyway.

Even the ethergaunt in the FF had casting equal to its CR-3. Just make it CL-1 and you don't have to jump through these hoops!
    Hm no it didn't.
    They all cast as wizards of their CR. You only get casting equal to it's CR-3 if taken as a playable class because of the +3 LA. The black ethergaunt is infamous for being ECL 20 with 17th wizard spellcasting.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-17 at 03:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I may as well toss an idea into the mix of things. I would be very interested in a progression chart for a Sarrukh (Serpent Kingdoms), if possible.

If I ever get the chance to play another one of these (sadly, I cannot remember the campaign in which I tried do to this in, been so long ) and actually not have a massive amount of confusion of how to properly set it up.

Avatars courtesy of Qwernt (Nagahydra) and jamroar (Ice Devil).

21. - Top - End - #1371

Well, it should definitely not have manipulate form.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    Well, it should definitely not have manipulate form.
    or at maximum a very limited version of it.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

Says who? It does have full casting.
    Yes, and it also has strength as it's highest stat, and the text states it as the footsoldier of the eladrin.

Again depends on your view of an "angel". I always saw them as being divine beings first and warriors second.
    Well, alright. It's your paradigm, so I'll let you have that. Still, I will say I consider it to be bland, and that it could use some combat potential. If you choose to ignore that, it's your choice.

I'm not doing. I've seen even sorcerors take scribe scroll, and half my play groups love their familiars and the other half loves the juicy things you can swap it for.
    That doesn't mean it's optimized.

Experience is a river. Being one level behind will actualy result in an exp bonus. Wich you can use to basically double your gold wich is pretty damn good. I had campaigns where every single copper was spent on item crafting to maximize our wealth.

Or swap it for another ACF.
    ...Then you are very strange folks.

Where do you 5 foot step when you're surrounded by kobolds or adjacent to that ogre/orc with spiked chain?
    That's why you either A: have a nifty spell like dimension hop, B: invest 1400 gp into an anklet of translocation, or C: do your job right, be batman, and not get yourself into those situations. With the ethergaunt, that becomes that much easier.

Assuming the purple wurm doesn't just burrow below and 1-hit kills the low level ethergaunt. My money's on the purple wurm. Wich is one of those big dumb non reach non flying monsters that's easy prey for any caster anyway.
    Free action can be done on other's turns. The ethergaunt can use its blindsense to see the wurm before it gets to it.
    (I think.)

Hm no it didn't.
    They all cast as wizards of their CR. You only get casting equal to it's CR-3 if taken as a playable class because of the +3 LA. The black ethergaunt is infamous for being ECL 20 with 17th wizard spellcasting.
    Blergh! Right. Sorreh.

Well, nevertheless: I still consider the ethergaunt overpowered. As above, if you choose to disregard this, fine. It's your thread. I'd rather not debate over it any longer... though if you have anything else to add on my illithid, I'd like to hear it. I edited the extract(s), FYI.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-08-18 at 12:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Troll in the Playground

Free action can be done on other's turns. The ethergaunt can use its blindsense to see the wurm before it gets to it.
    (I think.)

I believe that you may be mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD: Free Actions
    Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.
    Perhaps you're thinking of something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD: Immediate Actions
    An immediate action is a swift action that can be performed at any time—even if it’s not your turn.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2010-08-18 at 12:38 AM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

Minor thong: as I read it Ethergaunts can only "see" things they have linenof effect to, and so can't see underground/through walls etc.

I may be wrong of course.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

26. - Top - End - #1376

Well, alright. It's your paradigm, so I'll let you have that. Still, I will say I consider it to be bland, and that it could use some combat potential. If you choose to ignore that, it's your choice.
    Cleric spells. Plenty of combat potential there. And weren't you just saying for me to don't do optimizing for players? Well there you have it, let the player pick his own combat buffs!

That doesn't mean it's optimized.
    Optimizing is making choices. Powergaming is taking the strongest choices. Ignoring the scribe scroll all togheter would be non-optimization, and I've never seen anyone do it.

(I think.)
    Like pointed out, unless otherwise noticed free actions can still only be performed in your own turn.

Plus stupefying gaze is a gaze attack. It demands line of sight. I've put a line clarifying it since it seems like you missed it.

Well, nevertheless: I still consider the ethergaunt overpowered. As above, if you choose to disregard this, fine. It's your thread. I'd rather not debate over it any longer...
    Both Random_Person and Vael aproved it in recruitment threads going just right now, and they both have been denying plenty of stuff they consider overpowered.

though if you have anything else to add on my illithid, I'd like to hear it. I edited the extract(s), FYI.
    Well extract seems fine now. You still have the 4 tentacles with full strenght bonus at 1st level tough.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

wow. long posts.
    Nice to see it's getting work done, though.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

Both Random_Person and Vael aproved it in recruitment threads going just right now, and they both have been denying plenty of stuff they consider overpowered.
    This isn't the best argument. Given how much material I've been having to go through, I've barely been able to do much more than skim through every class and the like submitted, and I've paid less attention to classes from this thread, to be quite honest.

Besides, who is to say my judgment is sound anyway?

29. - Top - End - #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Besides, who is to say my judgment is sound anyway?
    A veteran D&D player skilled in the rules that has been following this project for some time. Enough to quickly find and point out all creatures that had the same misworded ability despite the creatures themselves not being connected in any direct way.

30. - Top - End - #1380

It was suggested to me to post this here.

This is my first time homebrewing a class, hope you like it.

Spellwarped

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Aberration, Spell Resistance, Str+1, Con+1, Int+1
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Spell Absorption 2, Str+1, Dex+1, Con+1, Int+1
    3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Improved Spell Resistance, Spell Absorption 4, Str+1, Con+1, Int+1
    4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Spell Absorption 6, Natural Armor +2, Str+1, Dex+1, Con+1, Int+1[/table]

Alignment: Any
    Hit Dice: D8

The Spellwarped's class skills are: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour proficiencies: The Spellwarped is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with all armour and shields except tower shields.

Class Features:

Aberration
    At level 1 the Spellwarped's type changed to aberration if anything but construct or living construct, if ether of thoughs, they gain Darkvision 60ft.

Spell Resistance
    At Level 1 the Spellwarped gains spell resistance 5+ character level.

Ability Increase
    At every level starting at 1, the Spellwarped gains a bonus to ability scores as shown on the table.

Spell Absorption
    At levels 2, 3, and 4, the spellwarped gains bonuses when a spell fails to penetrate his/her spell resistance. Roll 1d6 twice and consult the following table to decide what two abilities he may choose from when a spell fails to penetrate his/her spell resistance. If the same number is rolled more than once roll until you gain a new ability.

{table=head]Number | Gained
    1 | Might: The spellwarped gains +4 Strength for 1 minute
    2 | Agility: The spellwarped gains +4 Dexterity for 1 minute
    3 | Endurance: The spellwarped gains +4 Constitution for 1 minute
    4 | Life: The spellwarped gains temporary hit points equal to 5X the level of the failed spell
    5 | Speed: The spellwarped's base speed increases by a number of feet equal to 5X the level of the failed spell
    6 | Resistance: The spellwarped gains resistance 10 to one energy type (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic)[/table]

Improved Spell Resistance
    At level 3 the Spellwarped's spell resistance increases to 11+ character level.
    Last edited by Trodon; 2010-08-18 at 03:26 PM.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!