New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Help with physics!

So I've spent the last 4 hours trying to figure out a particular physics problem and no matter what i do I just can't get the correct answer.

The problem is as follows:
    A cannon fires a projectile vertically upwards and the projectile reaches a maximum height H. If the angle at which this same cannon launches the projectile is changed, what is the maximum range for the projectile when launched over a horizontal surface?

The correct answer is supposed to be 2H, but I just don't understand how to get that.

HALP!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Help with physics!

Well, don't have time to type out a complete answer now, but a way of solving it would be to try and write out the horizontal range in function of the angle, and then horizontal range. (deriving with respect to the angle, and setting the derivative to zero.) Then you can put this angle in your equation for the horizontal range to get the maximum range.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Part of the answer is that the maximum range is achieved when the cannon is at 45 degrees to the vertical.

The range depends on two things - muzzle velocity and angle. I suspect that you need to derive the muzzle velocity from the example, then use the standard formulae to get the range.

I had a quick look (it's in my old A-level physics notes), but it's monday and I really am not in the mood for derivations. If the question isn't urgent I can have a look later in the week.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Play Portal; it will teach you everything you need to know :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

From a guy with a physics degree:

For simplicity, assume no air resistance.

The cannon ball leaves the muzzle of the cannon with an intial velocity U and an elevation E. If the cannon is fired directly up in the air, the elevation is E = 90deg.

U has a vertical, and a horizontal component:

U-vert = U cos E
    U-hor = Usin E

Let us consider vertical motion only. This is affected by gravitational force, which applies a constant accelleration g.

The velocity after time t after firing is therefore:

V-vert(t) = U-vert + g t [1].

To get the height of the shot at time t, integrate with respect to t:

h(t) = t U-vert + 1/2 g t^2

The maximum height, H is found when V-vert = 0. By setting this, and solving the eqn for V-vert for t, we find that maximum height is attained at time:

t(h = H) = - U-vert/g.

Substitute this in for t in the height eqn and obtain:

h-max = - U-vert^2 /2g

At 90deg, U = U-vert and h-max = H

We can also obtain a flight time, T, by solving the eqn for h, to find the value for t at which h = 0 (use the quadratic equation, with a = 1/2 g, b = U and c = 0)

T = U-vert +/- U-vert / g.

This gives solutions of:

T = 0 and T = - 2U-vert / g. [2]

Because there are no horizontal motions, the range, R, is given by:

R = T U-hor

Substituting in for T, then U-vert and U-hor we can express the range in terms of U, E and g:

R = - (2U^2 cos E sin E) / g.

You want the maximum range, which is found when E = 45deg (you can prove this by differentiating wrt E, and setting the differential to 0. You should get:
    dR/dE = -(U^2 / 2g) (cos^2 E - sin^2 E).

(This is 0 for sin^2 E = cos^2 E).

Substitute in E = 45deg (so cos E = sin E = 2^-0.5 :

R-max = - U^2 / g

Compare with eqn for H:

H = - U^2 /2g

And you see that R-max = 2H. Q.E.D.

(If you don't understand any of this, I'd be happy to clarify.)

[1] This is often given as V-vert(t) = U-vert - gt, but the two forms are identical, defining positive accelerations to be in different directions: my way uses g = - 9.81 m/s/s, the other way uses g = + 9.81 m/s/s.

[2] Remember g = - 9.81 m/s/s, so we don't get negative times with this one.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by arkady View Post
    The maximum height, H is found when V-vert = 0. By setting this, and solving the eqn for V-vert for t, we find that maximum height is attained at time:

t(h = H) = - U-vert/g.

Substitute this in for t in the height eqn and obtain:

h-max = - U-vert^2 /2g

At 90deg, U = U-vert and h-max = H
    Ah, so that's how you get rid of that pesky t. I actually tried to do something along those lines (using the velocity=0 at maximum height) but I was trying it on the shot at an angle so it didn't really work.

(If you don't understand any of this, I'd be happy to clarify.)
    The names you used for the variables are different than the ones I'm used to, but it was still pretty clear. Very helpful too.

Thank you very much

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

At 45 degrees the cannonball will achieve maximum distance. Give that, you can basically draw 2 isosceles triangles to see maximum distance. But because the triangles are isosceles the base of two of them is double their height.
    The Hypnotoad made me do it!

Power corrupts, absolute power is kinda neat.
    -John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Villains always have antidotes. They're funny that way. -The Helping People Tick

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

From a guy with a physics degree:
    A masterly summary.

Oh well, it saves me brushing the dust of my degree (and more to the point, my old A-Level revision book, which has a simillar derivation on page 8 but in much smaller print).

On the minus side, I now have nothing to do this morning while I wait for them to finish checking the power supplies to the area. Ruddy power companies... There's never a projectile around when you need one.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #9

What?

why don't you guys never ask a literature question ....

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rakkoon View Post

What?

Because it wouldn't be a question so much as a discussion, because literature is art and art is about interpretation. And with interpretation there is no right answer, only a well presented one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by rakkoon View Post

What?

Because in maths and physics there is generally only one correct answer, and if you don't know how to get to it you are stuck.

In literature there are a range of answers and you have more of a choice. (As my old english teacher used to say, "It's OK to dislike Shakespeare, as long as you can say why you dislike Shakespeare.")

(When I was at school, my maths teacher had a degree in english, but swapped over to maths because he preferred a subject where there was one straight answer to the question...

...And, of course my english teacher had a degree in maths, and swapped to english because he preferred as subject where there wasn't.

Mind you, they were probably my favourite teachers - even the one in the subject I hated)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2010-02-23 at 05:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Seriously, with problems as specific as this one, I'm sure there is an equally valid "right answer" to a litterature question of similar nature.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is that literature is less about how and more about why.

For example, in the play Macbeth, how did Macbeth become king? He murdered the old king in his sleep and framed two minions for it, nice and simple.
    If you ask why he became king, then it becomes a multi-layered answer involving his wife, some witches, his greed and probably several other factors that I've forgotten.