New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Sakuya-san, Room Cleaning Stop!

Poor abused Meiling. I could hire her, i promise to not mistreat her like that. As long as she is willing to work for room and board, i cannot afford wages. And if she will also take over maidly duties as well as being a guard.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Alice → Tsun

This was a long update, but I just wanted to get this floor over with...definitely my least favorite floor thus far on this playthrough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Chapter 9

Salutations. My name is Alice Margatroid, and I'm not in a very good mood. Can you tell by my profile picture?

China may have spent her time complaining about how she got the most boring floor to cover, but I get the most frustrating one. Mere words could not express the indignation that I now feel, but I'll do my best to convey it.

I guess I'll admit that at the very least, Floor 7 looks pretty, and has very nice background music playing from somewhere, but that's hardly any compensation for the torture that we've had to endure here. It certainly is an eerie change from the nature stroll we've been having thus far.

Right at the start, we come across our first obstacle. The stairs to the next floor are not far from our starting point, but once again a magic sigil obstructs our path. Only this time, there is no monstrous creature for us to slay to unlock this sigil. Oh, it's much worse.

If it was only some sort of hideous beast for me to take vengeance upon, I'd have no problem with this place! But alas, a far worse fate awaited us. To say that this place's puzzle was annoying would be an understatement of the highest magnitude.

This floor was riddled with countless magic circles that transported us from one place to another. Each circle was indistinguishable from the others, making it impossible to guess where we'd end up until we've already passed through it, especially since many of the portals are one-way. To make matters worse, it's not much of an exaggeration to guess that half of the teleportation circles are one-way trap portals that drop us back to the very start of the floor. Each time we step on such a trap, my anger only grows. And amid this ridiculous teleporter maze, we are somehow suppose to locate special switches to unlock the original sigil. Just what kind of sadistic monster came up with this?!?

For example, only one of these portals leads to a new area. The remaining portals dropped us right back to start. Yes, this is what I meant by "sadistic". Who could have come up with this? Eirin? Yuka? Some sort of drunk guy with glasses?

To make matters worse, Reimu has been keeping a map of each floor thus far, but in her laziness she never bothered to record how each portal is linked. This makes our normally helpful map practically useless.

That indolent shrine maiden! If I were in charge of this, such a problem would have never cropped up! Of course, everyone here is unwilling to to let me lead after that whole debacle I put them through back on Floors 3 and 4...it was an honest mistake, I swear! Even the best of us can come to incorrect conclusions...

While we struggled for what felt like hours in this irritating maze, we were beset by all sorts of new enemies. While most were easily dispatched by our faster allies, these creatures have since grown far more threatening if left unvanquished. One misstep or failure to promptly eliminate a foe, and we stand to suffer a crippling magic drain spell, or even extremely powerful magic such as the dreaded Ether Flare.

Of course, for a mage of my caliber, such spells could hardly defeat me. Still, many of our more magically incompetent allies were less fortunate. A pity, but not unexpected for this rabble.

Perhaps my greatest surprise was that we were not alone in this forsaken labyrinth. Out of all the people I know, perhaps the last person I expected to see in such a bafflingly complex place was none other than that slacker shinigami, Komachi Onozuka.

Komachi informed us that several dangerous evil spirits had escaped her watch and wandered into the strange space of Gensokyo. While she has captured a few of them (or so she claims), she implored us to go and capture the rest of the spirits that escaped to Floor 8. Yeah right, why would we bother doing that? Let her clean up her own mess!

Surprisingly enough, Komachi was not the only interloper here. One particularly eccentric kappa gave us a rather unexpected shock.

The normally shy Nitori Kawashiro attacked us out of the blue with some sort of new technological weapon. She was no match for our seasoned forces, though, and we demanded an explanation for what she's been doing.

As to be expected from such a short skirmish, she quickly disappeared off with her camouflage device before we could detain her further. I expect this won't be the last we'll see of her. That irritating brat! I'll be sure to roast her well when our paths next cross.

Well, after an immensely frustrating search for the switches (of which I'll spare you the details), we eventually managed to locate them.

The stairs to Floor 8 were but a stone's throw away from the other side of the magic sigil. So was that it? Hardly! Of course, there just had to be yet another challenge in our path. Did anyone expect otherwise for this hapless party of ours?

An enormous chimeric monster emerged and immediately blasted us with a scorching torrent of flames. While its initial assault was remarkably strong, it seemed to have burned up much of its energy in its attempt to finish us off with a single strike.

I relished the opportunity to finally vent my frustration against a formidable foe. So long as we were prepared for its powerful flames, we could survive the most brutal moments to take advantage of its weaker spells in between each wave. You insolent beast! This is your price for putting me through this hellish floor!

Ahem, my apologies. That was rather uncharacteristic of me.

Upon our victory, we were greeted by yet another visitor. The not-as-lazy shrine maiden from the Moriya Shrine, Sanae Kotiya, has apparently also been investigating this space. Of course, that's not too unexpected; she's certainly not as slothful as the red-white one, even if she is a naive newbie here in Gensokyo.

Sanae gave us some interesting information. It seems she's spotted the Eientei residents in this strange space, and suspects that their actions may be quite significant. According to her, this wasn't like the previous incidences of random youkai just fooling around in here. The mistress of Eientei, Kaguya Houraisan, and her caretaker Eirin Yagokoro, are not ones to act without a plan. If they're involved in this business, then it's necessary to assume they're plotting something big, just like that incident with the moon some time ago. This news is certainly important for us to keep in mind as we venture onwards to even more treacherous floors.

Finally, someone does something useful for a change! And yet, Sanae still refused to come with us on our quest, saying she wanted to check out some things on her own first. I questioned just how wise it was for her to go so deep into this dangerous place alone, but she paid no heed to my warnings. I guess I was a bit too hasty to praise her common sense.

This has truly been too long of a journey today, and I really must get some sleep now, or my mood will never improve. With this, I bid you all farewell.

~ Alice Margatroid

A few notes:

Spoiler
    Show
    The teleporter maze sucks, but you still have to deal with it.

A few notable enemies on this floor. Memorised Knowledge have incredible resistance to magic in general, but die quickly to most physical attacks. But if you ever let them live, they'll either cast the ever-annoying Destroy Magic, or just decimate your party with Ether Flare, one of the most powerful enemy spells in this game. They do drop Forbidden Tablets, though, which is nice, but the drop rate is ridiculously low. Slash Rippers are fairly fast and can 1-shot weaker party members, but Aya, Chen, or Sakuya with some speed+ gear should be able to outrun them and dispatch them. Nitori is a one-time random encounter on this floor, but she's not very hard as she still lacks her most dangerous attacks. She has a fair bit of HP for a random encounter, but she's weak to fire. Finally, Ruby Knights drop Blade Cuisinarts, which is pretty good at this point in the game. The drop rate is low, but not nearly as terrible as the Forbidden Tablets; I got 2 while stumbling around this forsaken maze.

Tam's Foe as a boss is remarkably similar to Ifrit from Floor 4, only with a much stronger Flowing Hellfire. It'll start with Flowing Hellfire, so make sure you're starting with your most durable characters. It'll then use more manageable attacks for 3 turns before unleashing another Flowing Hellfire, so the same strategy applies: switch in weaker attackers after Flowing Hellfire, then switch them out after the 3rd attack. Tam's Foe is pretty easy if you are prepared for its attack pattern. Enjoy it while it's this easy; this won't be the last you'll see of it.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

3. - Top - End - #63

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - It's the Mishaguji-sama Destiny!

And now for something that's a lot more fun that those last two floors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Chapter 10

Hi there all! Suwako here, the adorable little goddess of the Moriya Shrine!

Wait, what do you mean? Of course I'm all right. So my profile picture isn't exactly the most flattering thing in the world, what of it? Do I really look that concerned? Don't be silly.

...OK, so maybe there has been something on my mind. I've been working with these folks to help restore Gensokyo to its former state, but lately it's just been so stressful being with them. Well, maybe not all of them, but just one in particular: that idiot ice fairy, Cirno. I've seen the horrific work she's been doing this whole time, freezing my cute little frogs everywhere we go. The sight of it just drives me almost to tears. I don't know how much more of this I could take...

Oh, but I'll endure! I'm a goddess, after all, and what goddess would let a lowly fairy bring her down? Not I, that's what! Now, onwards to today's journey!

It pained me to see my dear little Sanae run off on her own ahead of us, so I persuaded the group to go on after her. Our pursuit lead us to an enormous forest of incredible darkness. I could scarcely see my own hand in front of my face here. What stood before me was the biggest dungeon floor yet, and here we were stuck with such limited sight. How irritating!

Eh...this darkness does make one a bit uneasy, doesn't it? To make matters worse, the monsters here on this floor have gotten a lot more creepy and disturbing as well. Skeletal reapers, floating globs of blood, and eerie ghostly butterflies appeared before us, eagerly inviting us to our deaths.

To say nothing of gluttonous zombies and grotesque creatures of bizarre anatomy! Please, let's get out of here soon!

With all these hideous creatures prowling in the darkness, I was almost relieved to find us under assault by Nitori once again.

Nitori claims she meant no harm, and was just getting carried away with her new invention. Of course I'd believe her! But she still escaped after tossing a flash grenade at us. If that kappa keeps this up, I don't know if the rest of my teammates would be so forgiving...

Ah, that idiot fairy! I'm gonna- uh...deep breaths, yes. Forbearance, Suwako, forbearance. Moving on now...

The dark forest held yet another peril. The calamitous spirits that Komachi had told us about were lurking in the shadows, seeking to drain us of our very lifeforce! Whaaaa!

This was our first brush with instant death effects (OK, technically instant KO, given how no one ever seems to die in Gensokyo), but we managed to persevere against these foul beings.

In the end, we triumphed! I'm sure Komachi would be very pleased with us if she were here.

So today was another great success for our team! All that's left is to-

What's that? Another frozen frog? I can't just...I mean...but...*sniff*

No, it is most definitely not all right! Frogs are sacred creatures that must be treated with the utmost respect! As the Goddess of Moriya Shrine, I absolutely cannot tolerate such sacrilege! You impudent fairy! Your punishment shall be swift and merciless!

Hey, wait! What are the rest of you guys doing? No, I will not calm down! For days, I have been patient towards this reprehensible fairy, but I shall be silent no longer! If you're going to stand between me and her, then you'd best be prepared for my divine fury! My justice shall not be denied!

~ Suwako Moriya
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-03-17 at 05:09 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought that Suwako would be annoyed by Cirno's habit of freezing frogs, but then again so does several parts of fanon. Also, Suwako's losing composure is funny.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Sakuya-san, Room Cleaning Stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Poor abused Meiling. I could hire her, i promise to not mistreat her like that. As long as she is willing to work for room and board, i cannot afford wages. And if she will also take over maidly duties as well as being a guard.
    Isn't room and board basically what she already works for? Heck, with her spending all her time outside she may just work for food...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

See, it is a better offer than she has. I won't let her take all the blows and make her carry everything either. She is too sexy and cool to deserve all the abuse she gets.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    See, it is a better offer than she has. I won't let her take all the blows and make her carry everything either. She is too sexy and cool to deserve all the abuse she gets.
    But Meiling's buttmonkey status is why she is cool in the first place.

The same Buttmonkey status applies to Cirno, one of my favorite characters aside from Reimu and Marissa. I just want to give her a hug after the Suwako smackdown.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

8. - Top - End - #68

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - FOR SCIENCE!

Thanks for your comments, everyone! They're helpful, as I'm still in the process of playing around with some of my characterizations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Chapter 11

Meiling here, reporting for duty!

And Sakuya, here to make sure China's doing her job.

You didn't need to come! I can handle this by myself!

Technically, it's my turn, I'm just letting you share in my privilege.

Eh...

Let's just begin now, shall we?

Truly, Floor 9 has justified this dungeon as one fitting of the name "Labyrinth". While the floor is not very large, the halls are tight and densely packed, making this place a claustrophobic's worst nightmare.

It's so easy to get lost in here! Thank goodness we're keeping a map as we go.

You're one to talk! You can't go ten steps without making a wrong turn!

Eh...OK, I admit I'm not very good with directions...

This is why we don't let you lead! Just follow along and stick yourself in front if we ever run into a boss fight

You don't have to put it that way! I'm more than just a warm body for everyone else to hide behind!

Really? That's not what our past experiences suggest...

You could at least show some appreciation!

You're merely doing what is expected and required of you. Learn your place, China. What more praise are you asking for?

Eh...

We're both part of a team, whether it's in this exploration team, or the Scarlet Devil Mansion's staff. That means obeying our orders and valuing the safety of others. We must each learn to be a team player. Take for example, Sanae Kotiya. She thought she'd be fine by herself, and look what happened to her!

At the request of the worrysome Suwako, we went back to check on how Sanae was doing. Of course, it's no surprise that she was about to be devoured by some ferocious monster! Honestly, how did that girl take my place during the UFO incident?

But it was a fearsome beast! It may have resembled the one from Floor 7, but this one was far stronger.

Of course you would know. Its fires proved far to strong for most of us to handle at all, so once again we had you fulfill your duty as our meat shield.

That was so mean of you guys, to leave me alone with that thing!

Naturally, we had no choice. You were able to just barely survive the blaze, so we had you stand alone to bait out the flames while we moved in to finish it off in between waves.

Well, I see what you're saying, but couldn't you have finished it off faster? I had to endure like 5 blasts before we managed to subdue it, and that really hurt! Just because I'm suppose to be protecting you guys doesn't mean I can't feel pain.

What would we do if the young mistress were to be wounded in your place? Be grateful that at least Reimu was willing to heal you this time.

Shouldn't I be expecting support like that in the first place?

Don't be ridiculous. We all know how lazy that girl is.

Well, at least it's nice to know that Sanae was safe in the end.

Speak for yourself. It'd have been nice to re-secure my spot for when the next major incident rolls around.

What do you mean by that?

Um, nothing. I was just thinking about how annoying it was for Aya to always complain about our fighting against Tengu. It's not my fault they seem so eager to sacrifice themselves to my knives.

I know! We were definitely acting only in self-defense.

I'd better confiscate those photos before she writes any more scandalous articles about us.

Right! We have enough struggles as it is

Speaking of struggles...

Eh?

Remember how we had those skirmishes with Nitori earlier?

Yeah, those were annoying too. What about them?

Well, Lady Patchouli just negotiated a deal with her. It seems all she wanted to do was run field tests on some of the latest weapons she invented. She said something about a "PDLC99MW Megawatt Linear Gun" that she really wanted to test out, but was afraid it'd be too dangerous for most living targets.

Wait a minute...you're not saying-

Of course, Lady Patchouli was kind enough to mention that she knew of a stout youkai capable of withstanding the most brutal of assaults. Nitori was so happy to have a chance to test out her toys, she promised to stop interfering with our journey if we would oblige.

But wait! I haven't agreed to this at all!

It's for the good of our party. If you were to fall, Mistress Scarlet would have to take your place at the frontlines. Are you really willing to subject your mistress to such a fate?

Ugh, it's so unfair when you make that argument...

Fulfill your duty to the Scarlet Devil Mansion, China. Don't worry, we'll be behind you this time.

Eh...you promise? This better not be like what happened earlier.

I make no promises. If I must evacuate the Scarlet sisters or Lady Patchouli, I will not hesitate to do so while you hold the line.

That's...not very reassuring.

You don't need assurance to do your job. You just need to stand strong and defend those behind you.

Fine...if it's for you guys, then I guess I have no choice.

~ Sakuya Izayoi

~ Hong Meiling

(I may be just a meat shield to them...but at least I am needed.)

Next time: Could it be? Actual plot advancement?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently Sakuya is being a no nonsense type of person, especially in the proximity of Meiling.

I think that the reason that Sakuya was not in Unidentified Fantastic Object is that her main role is not to resolve incidents unless they are within the concerns of Remi.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Geez, sure sucks to be Meiling. I can see why she isn't sleeping with this version of Sakuya. Poor girl can't catch a break it seems.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

"=D"

That was almost sweet.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Almost sweet? That right there was a bona fide Crowning Moment of Heartwarming on Remi's part.

Also, loved the subtle Double Spoiler reference.

Is there anybody left who hasn't done at least one of these? Because these double ones (The Scarlet sisters, Sakuya/Hong, and Suika's sort of was due to editorial comment) are really entertaining. You have a talent for banter. I'd kinda like to see some combination of Marisa, Patchouli and/or Alice get into an argument over who has the best magic, just because I enjoy "Anything you can do I can do better" arguments
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

13. - Top - End - #73

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Punishment Time~♥!

Thanks for the comments! One of my favorite portrayals of Meiling was in Chado's Touhou Koumakyou, where Meiling found the strength and willpower to defeat Marisa in their rematch simply because Remilia said she believed she could. I guess I was just thinking of that scene.

Anyway, let's move on!

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Chapter 12

OK, this sucks. By today, we've already fought our way through 9 floors worth of random monsters and old acquaintances who thought it'd be funny to mess with us. And yet, despite all of our victories thus far, it still doesn't feel like we're any closer to solving this incident. I can't believe how much work this has been for me!

Hmm...funny. Now that I think about it, all those earlier incidences that I resolved also required me to waste quite a bit of time dealing with irrelevant people before I finally found where I was suppose to go. I guess as weird as this strange space is, it still feels like Gensokyo in some ways.

Today we finally found some people who might be more closely connected to this incident than all those earlier girls. Unfortunately, it only resulted in more work for me, not less. No more aimless wandering for us: now it looks like we've actually got a more defined objective.

Anyway, let me start at the beginning. As we approached the exit on Floor 9, we found none other than Ran Yakumo herself, the trusted servant of our prime suspect Yukari. Of course, fate wasn't so kind as to just let us detain and question her. As it turns out, she wasn't alone.

It seemed as though Ran had been fighting for some time now, and had quite a bit of difficulty with her opponent. As the shikigami of Yukari, Ran is one of the more powerful beings I know, so I must admit I was rather surprised that she would find a foe so strong. However, all my astonishment vanished as soon as I recognized who her opponent was.

Eirin Yagokoro, the pharmacist from the moon and mastermind of the Eternal Night Incident, looked like she had the upper hand in her battle with Ran. Of course, there was no way we'd let her finish off our only lead on Yukari's whereabouts, so we naturally had to intervene.

Eirin gave us the usual greeting of accusing me of neglect and blaming me for the incident (I'm REALLY starting to get annoyed by this), so I was more than a little bit ticked off by her behavior. Like she was one to talk! It didn't help her case that Sanae was suspicious of her activities as well. And given what she was talking to her apprentice Reisen about, that's pretty much all but confirmed.

Sealed chamber? That sounded familiar. Looks like now it was our turn to ask the questions.

Eirin wasn't in a talking mood. She instructed Reisen to hold us off while she goes to prepare something else. I guess even she knew it'd be a challenge to take all twelve of us on by herself. Although, I admit I was a bit relieved to see that we didn't have to fight her, given what she did to Ran. At least she was kind enough to leave someone else for us to interrogate.

She may have had spirit, but Reisen should have known that she wouldn't be a match for us if her master chose to depart. Then again, I suppose in the end all she intended to do was buy a bit of time. Either way, we quickly dispatched the useless little bunny.

Reisen was forced to beat a hasty retreat, but pursing her proved very difficult. Her illusions were already a pain back when we stormed the endless halls of Eientei, but I'd imagine her pulling the same trick in this labyrinth would have been even worse. Besides, Ran was still injured and needed our assistance, so we settled for questioning her instead.

Unfortunately, Ran knew less than we expected. She knew little about either Eirin's plan or Yukari's involvement in all this. Eirin had attacked her suspecting that she was part of Yukari's plot, but according to her Yukari had been acting on her own this whole time. Ran had a few suspicions, but not enough to confirm anything, so she entered the labyrinth in hopes of getting the answers from Yukari herself.

Ran did confirm that Yukari was indeed deeper inside the strange space. However, she believed that as pressing as Yukari's involvement is, right now Eientei seemed to be the more immediate threat. I wasn't so sure about this, but I guess it doesn't hurt to check it out.

It was getting late, so we decided to quit chasing Eirin and Reisen for today, and return to the Scarlet Devil Mansion to treat Ran's wounds. It might also be wise to pay a visit to Rinnosuke first-thing in the morning and let him know about all that just happened. Perhaps he would be able to shed more light on these matters.

You know, I kind of miss the earlier days when we just spent our time bickering amongst ourselves instead of actually having to worry about stuff.

~ Reimu Hakurei

14. - Top - End - #74

And now for something a bit different!

Spoiler
    Show
    Expositional Interlude

Reimu: "Ah, Rinnosuke! Perfect timing."

Rinnosuke: "Oh, Reimu. What's going on?"

"There's something I want to ask. Have you heard anything about Eientei's weird actions rather than Yukari's?"

"Eientei...? No, I hadn't heard anything...Did something happen?"

Marisa: "Well, in that strange space, we found Ran instead of Yukari..."

"From what Ran told us, we can be fairly certain that Yukari herself is inside as well. But for some reason, the Eientei group attacked Ran, then kept on going and attacked us as well."

"Now that you say it, they mentioned something weird. About a sealed chamber."

"A sealed chamber...That's right, inside the space! Eirin sure thought it out...Now this can get ugly..."

"Eh, what, what? Rinnosuke, you know something?"

"Hey Kourin, don't just talk to yourself, talk to us too."

"Eh...Ah, ahh, sorry. I got lost in my train of thought. You see, the Eientei group caused an uproar before, no? The Eternal Night Incident. You talked to me about it. Isn't what they used something like a trick? Hiding the earth from the moon, like a sealed chamber."

"Ah, that's right, they said something similar at the time. We didn't listen though, we just wanted the full moon back."

"So if they use that Sealed Chamber Skill...then what?"

"Think about it. Using that trick inside that space, might send all of Gensokyo right into it. That strange space is the source of the incident, no one knows what it's really capable of doing either."

Patchouli: "I see, that's possible."

Remilia: "It'll be like locking up the keys of a car."

"Such a weird analogy...But yes, it's like that. Even now, that strange space is slowly but surely eating up Gensokyo. That's definitely bad."

"I get it. So we need to beat Eirin and the rest before they use their sealed chamber skill."

"Sorry for always pushing you to fight, Reimu."

"Tsk, don't mention it. This is what we do, after all."

"That's right! Those who can't do anything should just lock themselves up and hide. Anyway Marisa, let's go punish that huge nuisance of a group."

"No complaints here. Wahahaha."

(Reimu and company leave)

"Can't do anything, huh...Harsh as usual, Reimu...
    I suppose I deserve to have been called that up to now...
    But I've found my path. I'm not who I was before...
    ...With the ways I believe in, this incident...
    I'll protect Gensokyo from it. Just watch, Reimu, Marisa..."

In other news, I'll be gone on a trip for the next few days, so don't expect another update until maybe Thursday or so. But we've finally gotten to the juicier parts of the game, so definitely expect me to continue this!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

More witty banter as usual.
    Based on the prelude, I expect the group to face off against Rinnosuke sometime soon.

Will we also see "Eirin, Eirin, Tasukete Eirin" related jokes anytime soon when the heroines fight Kaguya or Eirin?

16. - Top - End - #76

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - No More Precious Things

All right, I'm back! Let's continue with another one of the most annoying segments of the game, shall we?

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Chapter 13

How infuriating! Once again, I'm stuck narrating the most frustrating parts of our journey.

At least you aren't alone this time. Misery loves company, doesn't it?

Just as long as you keep the troping to a minimum.

I make no promises.

Fine, whatever, let's just move on.

The 10th floor of the strange space that has appeared over Gensokyo seemed to be made entirely of Schizo Tech. Halls of iron walls that looped tightly around into a confusing maze. Mecha-Mooks that patrolled the metal corridors for intruders. A Control Room Puzzle composed of colored doorways that had to be toggled on or off by corresponding colored switches. Immense amounts of backtracking that would drive anyone to cry out Guide Dang It! Locked doors that-

Uh, Patchouli?

Yes, what is it?

You're doing it again.

Is that a problem?

It's just irritating. If you're going to keep doing it, then let me take over already.

But I haven't even gotten to the Goddamned Bats yet!

Too bad. Save it for Flandre's bedtime story.

Do you not understand that this is the most elegant way of conveying enormous quantities of information to our audience with minimal use of space?

Please, I'm already in a bad enough mood without having to wade through all of your references. The Eientei crew is still on the loose, we're stranded in a huge maze that spans three whole floors, and I've been trying to keep Cirno and Suwako from killing each other for the past four hours!

Very well then, I'll submit to your request for a brief moment. Your sour disposition is certainly understandable. We were all foolishly hopeful when we saw the stairs to Floor 11 right next to where we started, and the path to Floor 12 just beyond it. We should have known this place wouldn't be so simple.

Once we quickly ascended to Floor 12, we ran into a most confounding roadblock. An enormous steel door barred our way. Mounted on top if it was a display monitor that showed us the following:

Naturally, I was able to quickly decipher just what this meant.

What followed next was a grueling trek through three whole floors worth of intricate mazes as we searched high and low for the switches to open the locked door.

And that's not the half of it! If only all we had to do was wander aimlessly until we mapped out each floor! But no, it just HAD to be more complicated, didn't it? Scattered throughout the mazes were colored gates that would only let us through if the correct colored switch was on or off.

Since some gates required the switches to be on, and others demanded the off configuration, we had to do quite a bit of backtracking as we slowly made our way through the elaborate puzzles. The most frustrating moments were when we spent so much time navigating an entire segment of the maze only to run into a closed gate, then having to return all the way back to an earlier area to toggle the switch before making our way a second time to bypass the gate.

We had to endure three whole floors of this torture. Three! Whoever designed this place can just take a long walk off a short cliff.

That'd be Eientei, wouldn't it? Did they have such technology all along?

I'd imagine that Eirin would be behind this mess, although I wouldn't know where they got those things. They've always been pretty secretive about such matters. This whole "Sealed Chamber" business is no different.

Ah yes, what exactly is that? I confess I wasn't particularly involved in the whole Eternal Night Incident.

From what I can recall, Eirin said she used a powerful spell to encase the planet in a sealed capsule, to prevent the Lunarians from coming to Earth to look for them.

So they used it to protect themselves? That might be why they're considering using it again. Although, I can't imagine what they'd be trying to protect themselves from.

Beats me. Maybe Mokou burned down their home or something.

I doubt that. Even Fujiwara no Mokou would have trouble bringing down that fortress. Doesn't Kaguya have her eternity spell keeping it intact?

That's right. I guess it's not worth speculating too much about for now. We'll get our answers straight from the horse's mouth soon enough, just as soon as we finish releasing this accursed fail-safe lock.

It may not be wise to spend all of our time concentrating on just Eientei. Without a doubt, there must be other miscreants prowling these floors, just like earlier.

Don't be silly. Eientei has already established itself to be our prime antagonists. We don't have much time until they finish preparing the Sealed Chamber spell, so we can't waste any effort dealing with small-time troublemakers.

I would have thought you of all people would appreciate the necessity of staying aware of many targets' activities, and to not be blinded by a single objective. Aren't you suppose to be good at multi-tasking?

Well then, what do you suggest I should be looking for?

Anything that's suspiciously out of place.

You mean...like this whole entire dungeon?

No, like that mysterious ghost and black cat that Reimu saw chasing each other in the distance.

Black cat? You mean Chen?

No, Chen's back at the mansion with Ran. Honestly, I thought you said you were good at noticing details. I suppose the only details you're good with are the embroidery patterns on your silly dolls' dresses.

This coming from someone who's too nearsighted to see beyond arm's length? It's a wonder you can even aim your spells.

Hey, I can't help my vitamin A deficiency! Youkai have irregular nutritional intakes. But I guess an infant such as yourself still hasn't learned about such intricacies yet.

Infant? At least I'm old enough to lift objects heavier than a book! There's a reason we don't let you in the party when those Demon-faced Tops come attacking.

That's because anyone, whether two-bit tactician or Mary Tzu, knows to keep Glass Cannons back against a Zerg Rush of Goddamned Bats.

Uh...Patchouli?

What?

You're doing it again.

~ Alice Margatroid

~ Patchouli Knowledge
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-03-24 at 11:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - No More Precious Things

So this thread made me get the game. While I wish I could track down the Japanese version (the translation isn't as good as I'd like), the game is fun.

Rumia, on the other hand? Frustrating. Kept spamming Demarcation the whole time. Got far worse after that, with Alice. Dear god, Alice. And I do mean Alice herself - I can survive the dolls, as nasty as Magical Light got at times. Bit annoyed that Rumia lacks debuffs, but Alice is great.

Just beat Yuugi, actually. Never did any grinding, but I always fully explored every floor. Ok, so I had to grind for Alice, but still. Somehow, I won with the following party:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reimu (24, mostly just barrier-use), Marisa (concentration, spam Magic Missile for 2500 each, level 22), Remi (21, did almost nothing since I couldn't waste Meiling's MP even once to cast Healer on her), level 23 Sakuya (Lunar Clock), level 21 Patchy (Silent Selene, like you recommended).

Level 24 Meiling (with stupidly high defense. For reference, Swoop did 18 damage to her), level 25 Cirno who died in seconds (part of being the strongest, I guess), 24 Minoriko healbot, 23 Youmu that did almost nothing, 24 Rumia that basically just blocked a KiTS, 22 Alice that spammed Seeker Dolls near the end, and a level 22 Aya that I never got around to using. First try was a wipe, since Patchy got targeted and died right away. Your video helped a great deal, though, and I somehow managed to win. Mostly thanks to Marisa, Meiling and the ever-godlike Patchy, I reckon.

Thanks for the LP, by the way. I'm by no means familiar with Touhou, so a lot of it goes waaaaay over my head, but it's entertaining all the same
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #78

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - You Hit Me...Hit Me Again!

Glad to see that my Let's Play has been helpful to you! I'm trying to include a pseudo-walkthrough alongside the the fun narration, since this game doesn't have much documentation. The English wiki is still very much incomplete, while the Japanese wiki is fairly comprehensive but terribly translated if you don't understand moonrunes.

A quick update for today:

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Gensokyo - Chapter 14

It is my pleasure once again to present to you our latest escapades. After spending countless hours solving the fail-safe lock puzzle, we were at last able to breach Eientei's defenses and challenge them to a most spectacular battle. Danmaku flew from both sides in the most dazzling spectacle of light and color ever wrought. Flandre proved to everyone that Cirno makes for a very effective projectile, much to Suwako's delight. Of course, I showed Eirin just who was the superior being with my very own Master Spark.

Much as I hate to admit it, that was all a lie. Our showdown with Eientei had to be postponed due to a most unfortunate distraction.

The Dragon Palace's messenger, Iku Nagae, had warned us about this earlier, but we didn't really think much of it. Much to our chagrin, she showed up to mess with us at the worst possible moment.

We implored her to stand aside and allow us to deal with the impending threat that Eientei posed, but she paid no heed to us. Frustrated with her boredom and upset that we left her out of our expedition, she desired to take her revenge by starting her own brand of mischief. She told us she had scattered ten magic space-distorting butterflies throughout the floors we've covered thus far in an effort to warp the strange space even more. With the clock still ticking on Eientei's activities, we had to prioritize and deal with Tenshi as fast as possible before we could continue onwards.

Venturing back to each floor we've conquered thus far, we hunted for any new event icons that turned up on our maps. There was precious little time for us to waste on this spoiled brat of a Celestial.

The butterflies themselves were not much of a threat to us. While they were stronger than the average foe, our party had no reason to hold back, and merely unleashed all of our strongest attacks immediately in an effort to finish the battle within the span of a single round. The butterflies could only get off one attack against us each time, and we incurred no casualties.

Once we rounded up all ten butterflies, we returned to Tenshi. Naturally, she still refused to step aside.

Not content with her fun thus far, Tenshi challenged us to one final duel. Eientei was just beyond the Fail-Safe Lock door, but I'm sure that could wait while we taught the wayward Celestial a lesson. I had heard her tolerance for pain was practically legendary, so I suppose this would be a good time to find out for myself. Surely no one would object to our punishing the little brat...

~ Yuka Kazami

In other news, I think I have an idea for continuing this Let's Play beyond just the end of the normal story and into the Plus Disk post-game content. It'll be with a new premise and a brand new team, but that'll take a while to get to. Ah well...
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-03-25 at 06:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - ERIN! ERIN! F.O.E.!

And now, allow me to present the climax that concludes the first half of this game's story:

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Gensokyo - Chapter 15

I am Eirin Yagokoro, retainer and mentor to Princess Kaguya Houraisan. Today, we stand before a dreadful trial. Eientei currently faces its greatest crisis since the Eternal Night Incident, when the Lunar envoys threatened to take the princess back to the Lunar capital. We are so close to ensuring the princess's peace and safety, but I'm afraid we have run out of time despite the safeguards I had set up.

I suppose it's incorrect for me to refer to us as Eientei, for right now, the House of Eternity is no more. A few days ago, an intruder entered Eientei and demanded information about the Sealed Chamber spell. Suspicious of his intent, we refused his request and attempted to repel him by force if necessary. However, the man retaliated with tremendous unexpected power. In the ensuing struggle, the mansion itself collapsed. Seeing that the princess was in grave danger, Reisen and I took her and quickly fled. With nowhere else to go, we turned to the strange space that had recently appeared in Gensokyo's sky.

Our stay in the strange space is still a tenacious one. Fearing that the space was controlled by the decadent shrine maiden, we needed a plan to ensure our safety. It was then that I proposed to once again use the Sealed Chamber technique. By sealing away the strange space, we will remain safe from that hostile man and his allies. However, the spell's preparation takes precious time. Kaguya and I have been working fast to prepare the spell, but Reimu and her party have clearly shown that they oppose our endeavors.

Reimu's party is now fast approaching. We are left with no other option. We must defeat Reimu to protect the princess. Reisen had already fought against them earlier, but she was no match for Reimu's team. But this time will be different. It must be, or all is lost.

This time, all three of us will fight. I had wanted to keep Kaguya out of this, but the princess insisted that she aid us in our defense. Neither Reisen nor I shall ever surrender her to anyone, no matter what the cost. Together, we will make our last stand!

~ Eirin Yagokoro

Note: Apparently, one month has passed since I started this Let's Play. Unfortunately, this means I can no longer change the thread title, so it's stuck with its current rather unflattering message. Oh well...
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-03-27 at 08:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - ERIN! ERIN! F.O.E.!

And of course, the post-battle exposition that accompanies the climax.

Spoiler
    Show
    Expositional Interlude

Reisen: That's impossible...! We lost even together!?

Kaguya: ...Well, I knew already, but you all are really strong.

Eirin: Even so, I won't...I won't give up the princess!

Marisa: Hey, I was wondering earlier, when did you all get the idea that we're aiming for Kaguya?

Don't mess with us! If we're wrong, why did you all come to this place and try to attack us!?

Reimu: To make this space vanish. If you used the sealed chamber skill to separate the two, we couldn't investigate this.

You think such a lie would really fool us...

Wait, Udonge...To make this space vanish? Reimu, isn't this space controlled by you in the first place?

Why would you think that? The Hakurei Barrier again?

Since it's an incident caused by the barrier, it'll be normal to suspect the barrier's guardian first.

If Reimu really wanted to make this space vanish, then they would be in conflict with us, who want to use the sealed chamber skill.

And if this isn't controlled by Reimu, then at worst, the strange space might never be able to be removed.

Exactly. We're in a hurry, geez. Do you understand now?

You all, why did you come here to use that skill anyway?

Before I answer that...Your movements really weren't instigated by that man, right?

Just who do you mean by "that man"?

I mean...

...Could you perhaps, mean me?

You're...!

Rinnosuke: Hey there, Reimu, Marisa.

Wha...R, Rinnosuke!?

Remi: How did someone as weak as you manage to get all the way here?

Everyone, be careful! It's him!

This man was the perpetrator who attacked Eientei and made us flee here!

Huh? You're lying, right?

What a horrible joke...Right, Kourin?

..."Attack" is a bit much. When I visited Eientei to ask about the sealed chamber, who's the one who answered my inquiry with a spellcard in the first place? I wasn't used to my power. I was just surprised, and that suddenly happened. And I apologized already.

What's going on? Rinnosuke, sorry, but could you explain more clearly?

Well, it's as I said. I...no, Gensokyo needs the sealed chamber technique. Kaguya's group, with their mansion in pieces, fled here to use it. I hurried over here. I was given a lot of power. Over such a long period, of course I'd have to use some of my power. But within here, that difficult lock system blocked the way, so I wondered what I could do.

Patchouli: I see. I don't know what this "power" you speak of is, but the lock puzzled you. So you used us for that.

Pft, used? We're preventing the strange space's isolation. I just let you all do the things I couldn't do, no?

That may be the case, but the way you talk is dangerous and annoying!

It's impossible to please everyone while trying to save Gensokyo from a crisis.

Save Gensokyo from a crisis? Don't you mean prolong it? What are you trying to do? Just what are you planning?

To fulfill the big things, some small things must happen. You'll see that the end justifies my means.

Sheesh, even if you're super smart and strong, lording this kind of talk over us from the start is annoying.

It would be nice if you got your self-righteous justice out of your own head.

...Kourin, you had power that destroyed Eientei? You did say that, huh...

It's hard to believe...

But I had it all along. Anyway, that's all the mindless talk I have for you.

Kaguya, that spellcard floating behind you...That wouldn't be the "Sealed Chamber Technique", would it?

...!

I would've thought such a skill would take considerably more effort to reproduce...Never would I have thought it would be so simple! Thanks! You've saved me time!

I won't let you, not this time!

Well, it seems like we should help Kaguya's group over you right now.

Perhaps you need a lesson? I'll give you a good taste of my Royal Flare.

I won't give it up...I won't give this skill up to someone like you!

Your intentions do not matter, that thing is mine!

Kyahhhh!

Uwaaah!?

Uuuugh...W, what was that power...!?

Hahahahahaha! Reimu, Marisa, did you get a good look!? This is the amazing power that Gensokyo gave to me!

Uuugh...! Gensokyo did!? You're pissing me off, saying whatever you like!

And you suddenly getting so much power...!

It's an honour to be praised by the main incident resolver. Now, this spellcard, the sealed chamber skill is mine!

Why you...! What are you planning to do with that!?

What I'm...planning? Did you really say that? The shikigami of the culprit said that to me!?

Ugh...Lady Yukari would never...

Reimu, you can go back. I will resolve this incident. And by using this skill, I will...!

Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-03-27 at 06:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Nice update(s), though I was expecting a "that was a lie" from Yuka near the end of the video. Oh well.

Also? Floor seven. Just... floor seven. Guide or not, I hate it. So much. At least it's over now, and I can go back to exploring.. a floor that seems to go on forever just by being really huge and full of undead. Wheeee.

You know, I can't wait to get some spirit-based damage that's not from Reimu or Yuugi. Mostly because Reimu checks against defense and mind. Uses attack and magic too, but that's not enough to make up for it, usually. Also, aside from speed (Cirno really does seem to have the strongest speed debuffs), Iku Nagae seems to be the best for debuffing bosses, which is a nice bonus. Though going by that video, Reisen will make for an even better debuffer soon.

...On the other hand, that's what I thought about Rumia.

EDIT: Need help. I have a team of Meiling, Yuugi, Marisa, Patchouli, Remilia and Alice. I also use Minoriko, Aya, Iku, Reimu, Youmu and Sakuya - they just don't get as much screentime or points given to them at the library, with the occasional exception of Minoriko. Anyway, they're in the 29~31ish level range now, and I'm getting consistently slaughtered by Suwako. Iron Rings will one-shot Remilia (whose defense I should probably work on), and boosted cold/nature affinity or not (thanks, library), Croaking Frog still takes off 1300 and a bit out of Meiling's 2200 health. The water move Suwako has will kill basically anyone with the exception of Meiling/Remilia/Yuugi/Patchy. And that's with boosted cold resistance/full health. Let's not even get started on the Mishaguji move. Or when she spams her more dangerous moves (the water move most of all) for several turns in a row.

In short, is there hope of any kind, and if so, how? Or do I need to stop wasting time and start grinding? Should I just come back after a few floors?
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-03-28 at 12:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Nice update(s), though I was expecting a "that was a lie" from Yuka near the end of the video. Oh well.

Also? Floor seven. Just... floor seven. Guide or not, I hate it. So much. At least it's over now, and I can go back to exploring.. a floor that seems to go on forever just by being really huge and full of undead. Wheeee.

You know, I can't wait to get some spirit-based damage that's not from Reimu or Yuugi. Mostly because Reimu checks against defense and mind. Uses attack and magic too, but that's not enough to make up for it, usually. Also, aside from speed (Cirno really does seem to have the strongest speed debuffs), Iku Nagae seems to be the best for debuffing bosses, which is a nice bonus. Though going by that video, Reisen will make for an even better debuffer soon.
    You get Eirin on Floor 12, who has a strong Spirit spell, but it's extremely expensive. If you're willing to wait till Floor 14, you'll get the best and most dedicated Spirit-elemental attacker in the game. Just wait till you see my video for her! (I just recorded it)

Reimu is used less and less for offense as the game goes. She'll be helpful mainly for her group healing and DEF/MND buffs for boss fights. I'd rate her among the top 5 most useful characters in the game, but don't expect her to do much damage on the later floors.

Reisen is a good debuffer, but debuffing gets less and less useful as the game goes on, I believe. Reisen just can't do much else. And Renko debuffs better than Reisen anyway, but you won't get her until after you've beaten the game. I like Komachi for debuffs, though. Iku and Cirno are really good at debuffing DEF and SPD respectively, but they can't hit other stats. Iku still has an OK offensive buff and is a passable attacker, while Cirno has a decent multi-target paralysis spell.

EDIT: Need help. I have a team of Meiling, Yuugi, Marisa, Patchouli, Remilia and Alice. I also use Minoriko, Aya, Iku, Reimu, Youmu and Sakuya - they just don't get as much screentime or points given to them at the library, with the occasional exception of Minoriko. Anyway, they're in the 29~31ish level range now, and I'm getting consistently slaughtered by Suwako. Iron Rings will one-shot Remilia (whose defense I should probably work on), and boosted cold/nature affinity or not (thanks, library), Croaking Frog still takes off 1300 and a bit out of Meiling's 2200 health. The water move Suwako has will kill basically anyone with the exception of Meiling/Remilia/Yuugi/Patchy. And that's with boosted cold resistance/full health. Let's not even get started on the Mishaguji move. Or when she spams her more dangerous moves (the water move most of all) for several turns in a row.

In short, is there hope of any kind, and if so, how? Or do I need to stop wasting time and start grinding? Should I just come back after a few floors?
    You are a bit in the low range in terms of levels. If you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend getting Komachi first. The 4 mini-bosses you must beat to get her are scattered all over Floor 8, but they're pretty easy as long as you don't mind losing a few characters to instant death attacks. Komachi may not have good DEF and MND (actually, those stats are terrible), but she has absolutely absurd HP. She can do a decent job as a backup tank for Meiling, and her Narrow Confines of Avici is a fantastic all-purpose debuff + Paralysis + Poison spell for boss fights. Regardless, I usually finish exploring Floor 8 and get Komachi before fighting Suwako.

Croaking Frog and Mishaguji-sama are Nature elemental. Froggy Braves the Elements is Cold, of course. Moriya's Iron Ring is actually Mystic elemental. Suwako will use mostly single-target attacks in the beginning and multi-target attacks later on in the fight, so if you've got glass cannon characters you should start off with them in the backrow and save your sturdier attackers for later. She actually does have a very general attack pattern, as she cycles through her attacks starting with single-target moves then moving to the multi-target ones, although she can occassionally reuse moves. Minoriko is good for this fight as long as you giver her some Frozen Frogs, as she has naturally high Nature resistance. Pile on her 50% DEF/MND buff whenever you have a free turn, especially if Meiling is healing herself. Reimu should switch in for Hakurei Barrier once in a while if she's not needed for her group heal spell. DEF and MND buffs in this game should not be underestimated.

At this point, you should have mastered switching a slow but powerful hitter in and out. Yuugi is a great example: KO in Three Steps is extremely powerful and also hits Suwako's Fire weakness, but it has incredible delay. To use it effectively, have another character (ideally, your tank) immediately switch her out right after she uses it, then switch her back in with a fresh 75% action bar. This lets you use KO in Three Steps and other such high power high delay attacks quickly. Switching doesn't take much time either, as it only resets the action guage to 75%. Tanks are the best for switching, since they usually don't have much to do on their turns (Meiling is sort of an exception, since she can heal). This technique is most necessary for switching in and out glass cannons (Kaguya, Utsuho, Nitori, Flandre, etc.; Patchy's actually not as good as this due to her very low speed) in between the boss's delay moves. In my videos, you can see me using this strategy with Suika's Throwing Atlas spellcard.

Many bosses in this game have a "rage mode" when they get low on health. It comes in 2 flavors: spamming more powerful multi-target attacks, or charging up for an attack that will simply kill your entire party (like Tenshi). If it's the former, you want to always keep at least one person capable of surviving active, to switch in more attackers and either recover or go for the kill. If necessary, keep someone at full health who could survive the attack in reserve, and switch them in after the attack to ensure you'll have someone alive to switch in a third wave of attackers if you still haven't killed the boss yet.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-03-28 at 01:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

...Wow. Thank you, I honestly wasn't expecting that much detail. You're right, I should be sensible and get Komachi first. Forgot about Avici, that should fill up the debuff slot quite nicely. I actually tend to have Yuugi around fairly often without switching her out, but that's mostly because she's something of a tank. Of course, that's less sensible on several levels against Suwako. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Also, is it just me, or is Concentration+Magic Missile spam often better than Master Spark every once in a while? Anyway, I'm familiar with bosses getting more serious as the fight goes on, Yuugi being a particularly PTSD-inducing example. I've noticed that Reimu's basically useless too. Well, except for Hakurei Barrier (excellent spell) and Exorcising Border (would be better if I raised her MAG a bit more). And yes, good point, I should give people a couple Frozen Frogs (I have a P-Ringer for 128 affinity, too). If only for the irony value

Iron Ring deals mystical damage? Interesting. I was sure it was physical, too. If that thing can one-shot Remilia, though, I really need to raise her defense >_>

And yes, Patchy's low speed is a bit tiresome, but she makes up for it by being generally godlike besides that, so it all works out. Anyway, thanks for the help Was hoping I wouldn't have to wait with fighting Suwako until much later. Not for any practical reason as much as because she's my favourite character.

By the by, is there a way to mute this game?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #84

...Wow. Thank you, I honestly wasn't expecting that much detail. You're right, I should be sensible and get Komachi first. Forgot about Avici, that should fill up the debuff slot quite nicely.
    Just take note that Avici doesn't actually lower ATK and MAG. It does hit everything else, though, including SPD. It's just not a big effect, but it's versatile.

I actually tend to have Yuugi around fairly often without switching her out, but that's mostly because she's something of a tank. Of course, that's less sensible on several levels against Suwako. Thanks for reminding me of that.
    Yuugi is a fine physical tank actually. I switch her in and out not because she can't take hits, but to speed up her usage of KO in Three Steps.

Also, is it just me, or is Concentration+Magic Missile spam often better than Master Spark every once in a while?
    That can work on the lower floors, but I find that as you go higher up Marisa's just too fragile to leave in against most bosses. The usual strategy for her is to buff up with Concentrate once or twice, then switch her in, Spark, and switch back out to recharge SP. Master Spark's damage increases depending on the amount of SP spent; its unique damage formula actually makes it the most powerful attack in the game once you have enough SP to blow on it. Marisa's Master Spark is also much stronger than Yuka's, but Yuka's can hit multiple targets.

Iron Ring deals mystical damage? Interesting. I was sure it was physical, too. If that thing can one-shot Remilia, though, I really need to raise her defense >_>
    Yes, it's physical Mystic damage, and it's one of her stronger attacks. It might also be a good idea to equip some paralysis resistance gear, since it paralyzes, along with Shadowstitch and Paralysis Cloud.

By the by, is there a way to mute this game?
    No, but you can try to specifically mute the application using your computer's sound options.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks, I'll do that. And maybe I'm just attached to the Magic Missile strategy since it won most of the battle against Yuugi. Plus, Master Spark at this stage is often outclassed by Silent Selene. Ah well, thanks for the tip. Also, when I said physical damage, I meant physical non-elemental. Bad habit leftover from other RPGs, I guess. Thanks again, and I'll stop pestering you for help now
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

26. - Top - End - #86

Don't worry about it, I like answering questions.

27. - Top - End - #87

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Suwako's Perfect Math Class

New chapter! The game takes a notable jump in difficulty starting on Floor 13, sort of like the jump between stages 3 and 4 in any Touhou game.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Chapter 16

This is so unfair! Why do I have to do this with you?!

Reimu and the others were getting fed up with our constant bickering, so they forced us to spend some time together to patch things up. Either that or they were hoping we'd off each other. I suppose they think they have enough to worry about with Rinnosuke going rogue and Yukari still on the loose. Trust me, this situation pleases me no more than it does you.

Well, it's not my fault! I never did anything to you!

But you did freeze all my cute little frog underlings! What did you think the goddess of frogs was going to think about that?

Heh, I always try to thaw them out afterwards. No harm done, right?

If by "thaw" you mean "shatter", then yeah, sure. How would you like to feel what that's like? I'm sure that'd be easy to do with your wings.

Hey hey hey! Hands off the wings! Can we just start the next segment already?

Fine, but you're not off the hook yet.

The 13th floor is the most puzzling floor yet. Upon our arrival, we came upon a moss-covered ruin of circular pillars and stones surrounding a single small open area. Rather than the maze of teleportation sigils from Floor 7, there was but one single teleporter standing in the center of the ruin. It did not seem to be functional yet, but scattered around the ruin circle were seven mysterious black crystals, each marked with a number from 1 through 7. This was obviously another sort of puzzle.

Only 7? Then this should be an easy puzzle! I'd be more worried if there were, like, 2 more!

How like you to think that it'd be so simple. Where's Patchouli and Alice? They're usually good at this sort of thing.

Um...Reimu says they want us to solve this. Something about "learning teamwork" or some other nonsense.

Wait, I have to figure this out with only an idiot like you to assist me? Reimu! Reimu! Please, anything but this!

She's ignoring you...

What kind of shrine maiden would ignore the demands of a goddess?!

Don't worry! The Strongest is also the Smartest! I'll solve this single-handedly!

We're doomed aren't we?

Here, I'll just fiddle with a few of these black crystals. That'll do something once we step on the teleporter, right?

Did you even remember which crystals you turned on?

Um...maybe?

Idiot...

Who cares, let's just go!

See? I told you I'd get us somewhere!

Yeah, but you don't even know where we are now!

The Strongest doesn't have to worry about getting lost!

Ugh, whatever...this place seems to be a catacomb of some sort. Perhaps it's tied to the ruin.

We can follow this passageway! Come on!

Wait, hold on. What's this?

It appears to be some sort of message carved into the ruins. #1 and #5? Would those be referring to the black crystals back at the ruin circle?

Hey, I found a way out! Come on!

Calm down already! Some people here are trying to actually solve this puzzle here, you know.

Just a little more this way, and...whoa!

Looks like we're not welcome here!

Well, we've never been welcome on any floor, truthfully speaking.

But these guys are so fast! Whole groups of enemies here can attack us before most of our party can even get a turn.

Then I guess we'd better put you in front, right?

Boo! Meanie!

Whatever. I just want to get through this ordeal in one piece. Whether or not you remain intact is more or less trivial to me. Now, where's the exit...

Over here!

Hmm...a one-way teleporter that returns us to the main ruin circle? Perhaps different combinations of active crystals will take us to different parts of the catacombs. If that's the case, then it looks like it'll take a while for us to figure out the right combination. If only there were more clues...

Leave it to me! I can play with the crystals again.

So long as you're willing to be the scapegoat if things go wrong...

See? I told you I knew what I was doing!

I suppose even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

What's a watch?

Ignoring your stupidity for a moment, I'd guess that the black crystals each have a different value, and we must find a way to create a combined value of 77 before we can move up to the next floor.

Ha, I could have guessed that!

If you're so smart, then why don't you think of a pattern for the black crystals' values?

Oooh, maybe they're each a multiple of 9?

You dimwit, that can't add up to 77!

Huh? It doesn't? Then maybe they go something like 9, 19, 29, 39, and so forth?

That...actually sounds feasible. It's strange having to admit that to you.

Hooray! See, I'm smart! So we'd have to hit switches 1, 3, and 4?

You can do basic arithmetic too? That makes even this goddess ask: will wonders never cease?

Why am I not surprised that your answer was incorrect?

Hey, at least I got us somewhere new, didn't I?

I guess it's not too unexpected. With your suggestion, hitting switches 2 and 3 would be akin to hitting 1 and 4. I'd venture to guess that the correct code has no overlapping combinations.

Well, if you're so smart, then you figure it out!

Gladly. Let's see...logically speaking, this is a code that has no overlapping combinations, yet can still hit every single potential number...

Boring! While you're busy with that, I'm gonna keep looking around!

Ha ha! Look, wonderful treasure! I just keep succeeding at everything!

Except finding the correct path to the next floor, apparently.

Well then, what have you accomplished, Miss I-Think-I'm-So-Smart?

Hmm...something related to binary, perhaps? That could work.

What's buy-nare-ree?

I fear for the brain cells I'd lose trying to explain that to you. But this might work. If we know that at least crystals 1, 3, and 7 need to be turned on for us to proceed, then the only remaining crystal we need to turn on is...

Of course! That's it! All you have to do is activate-

I got it!

What?! How did you know the correct combination was crystals 1, 3, 4, and 7?

Because 7 times 4 minus 1 divided by 3 equals 9!

That...makes absolutely no sense. You have no idea what you just did, do you?

Eh...

I have to admit: looking back, these extensive ruins are actually kind of pretty.

Yeah!

But I don't ever want to see this place again.

Me too!

Hmm, we agreed on something? Maybe we aren't as completely incompatible as I had thought.

So you'll let me freeze frogs again?

Nevermind. Just the sound of your voice still makes me want to kill you. We'll settle this back at the mansion!

Bring it on! The Strongest never backs down!

~ Cirno

~ Suwako Moriya

And some spoileriffic gameplay notes, including the explanation for the floor's puzzle and all the combinations to use:

Spoiler
    Show
    The 7 crystals on the floor each have a value equal to 2^(n-1), where n is the crystal number. So in order, their values are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. There are some 19 different areas on the floor that you can reach using particular combinations of values. Many of these areas (especially the ones with multiple valid number totals) just contain hints for the correct combo to reach the next floor. Some hold valuable items, though. Here's where all the treasure lies:

0-10 : Green Dream
    11 : Cosmic Muscle/Energy Crystal/Shuten Douji Bracelet/Omoikane's Insight
    30 : Glaive of Pain
    59 : Holy Win
    64 : Robe of Twilight
    78-87 : 10,000 Skill Points
    88-97 : Magic Rainbow Crystal
    98-100 : 15,000 Skill Points
    101 : Ribbon
    108-117 : Star World Ring
    118-120, 122-127 : Event icon, if you're doing the Flandre sidequest
    121 : Lion King's Soul

(Info taken from the game's wiki)

The big prize here is the Ribbon, which, as any Final Fantasy fan will tell you, grants you awesome protection from all status ailments. This lets Remilia or Tenshi use their really good self-buff moves without accidentally poisoning, silencing, or paralyzing themselves. You definitely want to get it, as it's the only one you'll ever get unless you get really lucky with a single powerful enemy's abysmally low drop rate on Floor 20.

As for the enemies on the floor, the main ones to watch for are the Spiral Diver, Rail Insect, and Amazoness Rabbit. All three of them are very fast and will likely outspeed most of your party, plus are capable of usually taking at least 1 multi-target spell unless you're totally overleveled. Spiral Divers have an absurd 180 speed; only Chen and Aya are likely to ever surpass them at a reasonable level here, and even then they'll probably need some speed-boosting equipment. Unfortunately, they resist Wind, so Aya can't 1-shot them, and Chen might need to use her attack boosting spell before she can either. They also hit very hard, and I think one of their attacks has some sort of defense-piercing property, so Tenshi might not be able to survive 2 at once. Komachi and Meiling can usually take it, although prepare to lose lots of TP over it.

Rail Insects and Amazoness Rabbits have 152 and 150 speed, respectively, so a few select characters like Remilia, Sakuya, and Marisa can outrun them with a bit of help. The Rabbits use strong single-target attacks, while the Insects specialize in status effects like Poison and Paralysis. In general, you'll find that starting on this floor most enemies may require several spells before being defeated, so prepare to start spending more SP than you're used to in each battle.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-03-29 at 08:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou

Cirno and Suwako's interactions are humorous. Cirno is the smartest and strongest fairy, but considering that she is more childish than stupid, I wouldn't call her an idiot. I wonder if a similar interaction would occur if Kaguya and Mouku were in the same party, albeit more violent in tone.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

So, I found some neat remixes. Thought I'd share them here. One for Kanako, one for Suika's battle theme, one for Remilia. Enjoy

Caution: Suika's will probably be a rather surprising take on the original. Do not expect anything close to the IaMP version.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, I found some neat remixes...
    Every touhou remix is a neat remix

The best way to find them is just youtube the character name, I'm sure every theme has been remixed at least twenty times, and that's just the unpopular ones.
    Save vs GM powered thunderbolt!

Kattira, Anja Khemari and Elderguard Tyrius. Thanks to The Stoney One for Avvies!