New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou

I was just wondering: was going to consider trying to play this game myself, but my keyboard's "Z" key has problems (it's broken, I have to constantly re-attach it when I use it). Do you know of a way to remap the keys in the game? I can't seem to find any info online, and I can't read the config files or any such things because I don't know Japanese xD

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FantomFang View Post
    I was just wondering: was going to consider trying to play this game myself, but my keyboard's "Z" key has problems (it's broken, I have to constantly re-attach it when I use it). Do you know of a way to remap the keys in the game? I can't seem to find any info online, and I can't read the config files or any such things because I don't know Japanese xD
    I don't think it's possible to remap your keys in this...Why not buy a new keyboard?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually do use a separate key remapping program when playing most Touhou games. Here's a link:
    http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=219.0
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    I actually do use a separate key remapping program when playing most Touhou games. Here's a link:
    http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=219.0
    I've found that an XBOX 360 controller works for Labyrinth (my Z key is half-broken) by default, which is nice. Might have to look into that to reduce the cord hassle though.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for the Let's Play Mirrinus. I haven't read through all of it, although I'm making it a habit to read the chapter for the current floor I'm on. Your videos are pretty funny too, btw, and this coming from a guy whose first experience in playing Touhou is this game. If it wasn't for my sister's interest in the normal bullethell games, I probably would've passed this by. I'm glad I didn't though.

Btw, I saw you and other have a particular hatred for Floor 7. I can definitely agree with you there, but hopefully this map that I made will help alleviate any and all future pain. I took the map from the Japanese wiki and thoroughly labeled each Teleporter which MS Office. Let me know what you think of the results, and feel free to post it modified or in its original form on the english wiki or anywhere else. Hopefully no one else will experience our pain.

Spoiler
    Show

If you want the original file for whatever reason, let me know.

PS. Congratulations on bringing me out of my typical lurking btw

EDIT: I'm on the optional fight with Yuugi and the F7 Boss, btw. Ofc, I'm massively overleveled now from the maze exploration, although I'm sure that won't last long, knowing the curve leveling usually goes on in these sort of games. Also, my drop luck has been horrible on this floor. I must go sacrifice to gain the favor of the almighty RNG. Also also, went ahead and posted it on the wiki, once I figured out how to edit the darn thing.

EDIT 2: Holy god. I just barely scraped by in an intense battle vs. Suwako. So much health to go through, and my levels were severely under yours (and one character was useless, oops on MYS resistance Marisa):

Reimu (35)
    Marisa (33)
    Chen (38)
    Meiling (35)
    Patchouli (31)
    Alice (33)
    Minoriko (34)
    Youmu (33)
    Yuugi (32)
    Iku (32)
    Aya (33)
    Komachi (31)

I had a mana-depleted Reimu in reserve, and Chen/Patchy/Iku/Meiling (I think) out, with Patchy out of sp. MVPs were Meiling/Iku (Meiling could full heal to 2500 with the buff, and thank god for ailment curing) and Iku buffing Alice/Youmu/etc. I can safely say that I <3 Iku now, hadn't really seen her in action before, but now I'm loving it. That buff can be incredible if used correctly.

Now to move on to Floor 9!
    Last edited by FantomFang; 2010-08-04 at 10:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou Plus Disk - Prologue

Spoiler
    Show

Lady Yukari? What brings you to my humble shop?

Hmm...hello there, Kourin. I haven't seen you since the incident last year, haven't I?

Indeed I haven't. And, if you'll pardon my saying this, you are certainly looking a lot better than you did before.

Same goes for you, I suppose. It's amazing how much less repulsive you are when you're wearing a shirt.

Um...Okay, sure.

Anyway, Kourin, do you remember when we sealed away the strange space that appeared?

Oh yes, that was some ordeal. In the end, we had to bring in so many of Gensokyo's best and strongest to help.

I haven't seen such a strong united effort in quite some time.

Come on now, you speak like as if it we had trouble.

But didn't we? Purifying the Bloodstained Seals that held the dungeon together was no small task.

I don't know, I thought it was pretty easy.

You'd be one to say that, wouldn't you? Anyway, did you have something to talk to me about regarding that incident?

Oh? You hadn't noticed? About the strange space, it's still there. Sure, I've sealed it apart from Gensokyo, but it's still near our world, festering on its own.

But...surely that's impossible! The girl that created it has departed, and we purified the rest of the dungeon!

Correction: we only purified the twenty floors that us Gensokyo residents had explored. There's still more beyond what we've seen. Not only that, but it still seems to be expanding.

Then what shall we do about it?

Nothing.

Nothing?

Indeed. It's no longer our problem. I will continue to maintain Gensokyo's barrier and prevent any further intrusions by that wretched space. However...

Yes?

The girl who created this mess, Maribel, is back with her friend, and they know about the continuing incident.

Oh? Well, that's a interesting development. Has Maribel contacted you?

She asked me to help her cleanse the space entirely, and stop whatever force has hijacked control of the space from her. I sternly warned her that it was too dangerous, and that she should just return home and live a normal life. But of course, I doubt she'd listen to me.

Probably not. So, do you plan on stopping her yourself?

That girl's no fool. She knows it'll be far too dangerous to go in there with just her friend, especially if the expanded dungeons prove far deadlier than before. She probably thinks she could just ignore my admonition and gather together some of Gensokyo's strongest to help her instead.

So what do you plan to do about that?

I've already met with all of Gensokyo's power players. Hakugyokurou, Eientei, Moriya Shrine, the Scarlet Devil Mansion: their mistresses have all agreed not to provide aid to the girl's naive quest. I even contacted noteworthy individuals, including the Hakurei miko, the witches of the Forest of Magic, those who tend the Sanzu River, and the Oni from the underworld. Everyone who worked with either us or the Hakurei miko's earlier expedition will not join with the girl. Which brings me to why I came here.

I understand. You don't want me to help Maribel either, should she come here, right? Very well then, it's best that girl keeps away from these things anyway. I can't imagine how she'd attempt to enter that space like this, then.

Oh? I can.

What do you mean? As you said, she has no powerful allies left, and thus no chance of challenging this incident.

If nothing else, that girl can be resourceful. I doubt she'd give up so easily. Perhaps I ought to still keep an eye on her, just in case.

Really? How far do you think she can even get?

Farther than you think, I'm sure. Farther than you think.

~ Rinnosuke Morichika

~ Yukari Yakumo

I guess I should thank you all for the bumps to this old topic. Because, as it turns out, the recent release of the Special Disk (version 3.01) of this game has made me spend quite a bit of time on this game recently. Enough, in fact, to finally decide to go ahead with the Plus Disk content again.

Originally, I had planned a sort of "optimal" team of the best characters of the game for conquering the Plus Disk (minus the characters I had already used in the Let's Play, for a change of pace). Months ago, I admit I had thought that the post-game content was unforgiving enough that I absolutely needed the best team possible to beat it. I got as far as the final boss, but then when the Special Disk came out, some other folks suggested that I try to play through the game with most of the so-called "worst" characters in the game, the ones that the Wiki describes as low-tier. I liked the idea, especially since the wiki lacked a lot of info on these characters, so I tried taking them through the game. Naming them "Team Unappreciated", I beat the main game again, and discovered that they weren't nearly as bad as I had originally though. So naturally, the next challenge for me was to take on the Plus Disk with this team. And that brings me here.

I have already actually completed much of the gameplay for the Plus Disk, but to show the progress I've been making with these characters, I had been recording my boss fights (initially just to measure poison damage). But then I decided: hey, I have these videos, what's stopping me from continuing my Let's Play? So I decided to roll with the idea and see what happens. It helps that the Plus Disk has no story to speak of, so I get to make up whatever I want right now. (Note that most of the videos are already up on Youtube, I just need to go back and add dialogue or something now, lol.)

So yeah, once again Maribel's returned to this bizarre world. Let's see just what happens!
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sooo.... you're using Team Unappreciated for the plus disk?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

I wonder if theres a map or something to help with floor 17. Cuz im lost :l
    lol nevermind.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Any way I can get you to send me some of the awesome portrait conversions? While the original art doesn't bug me that much, some of those are just measurably more fun to look at. Although I might have trouble distinguishing some characters now, due to my relative inexperience with the series. I really should just play a couple of the official games now...

EDIT: Nevermind, Google is my friend. Found a SWR portrait set, and am going to do a more thorough search when I'm not on lunch break
    Last edited by FantomFang; 2010-08-05 at 11:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Sakai View Post
    I wonder if theres a map or something to help with floor 17. Cuz im lost :l
    Best I can find is this Japanese map.

Quote Originally Posted by FantomFang View Post
    Any way I can get you to send me some of the awesome portrait conversions? While the original art doesn't bug me that much, some of those are just measurably more fun to look at. Although I might have trouble distinguishing some characters now, due to my relative inexperience with the series. I really should just play a couple of the official games now...
    Here's another set. I use a combination of that set and the SWR set (mostly the former).

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I ended up using the sets you mentioned to build my CharaGraph folder. Probably used more of the SWR, although some bugged me because they didn't seem to have a good resolution, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, I'm currently trying to survive the trek through floors 10-12 now. Got all the switches turned ON but haven't reached the first fail-safe yet. Had some nasty moments when I was ambushed by the tops (or accidently focused with Patchy and took an attack by all four mobs in the battle, that was almost a Game over!).

Nitori and Reisen were as easy as you mentioned, flawless victory against reisen and only a few squishy deaths due to Extending Arm with Nitori.

Took care of S. Foe too, although it was nasty. Took several tries and tons of mixing up fire resistance to find the combo that let me keep all my characters alive, only to finally give up and only worry about Meiling/Yuugi. Was underleveled similar to you Mirrinus, and had several scary moments (darn Foe sniped Patchy and Minoriko when both were critical at the moment to my strategy), and by the end with Minoriko and Reimu dead I managed to win right as Meiling's ability to survive was at its limit. Only had 6 char's left, no healing but a Meiling that was strapped just to heal herself, and no DPS but Youmu (who was awesome, due to not dying to random attacks). Iku was as golden as you said for me, majorly enhancing my healing efforts and my attacking efforts at different points in the battle.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably analyze my speed/wait times better to switch in and out much faster, as that was my major weakness, and caused a couple of my deaths

EDIT: Finished the hellish part of 10/11/12. And beat Tenshi. She actually got her uber-attack out on me (I have horrible luck on these bosses, I swear, they always end up sniping the guys in the back rows) but because of Return Inanimateness' ATK debuff and the Miracle Fruit buff, Alice lived with 7 hp and Meiling only lost 1k of 4k (lol), although my other two members were wiped out. Finished her before she could do it again, which would have put me in a tight spot without the Fruit. Also, once again, <3 Iku and her buff. And Sanae's. Alice was consistently buffed 70%-100% in magic xD
    Last edited by FantomFang; 2010-08-06 at 10:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Introductions Are in Order

Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou Plus Disk - Chapter 1

Spoiler
    Show

Mari! How are you feeling?

Good, good, thank you. Honestly, you don't have to ask me that every five minutes, you know.

I'm just worried about you, that's all. I don't want a repeat of what happened last time we were here.

That's very kind of you, Renko, but I can take of myself now, thank you. Or do want me to bring up how I trounced you at the Indigo Plateau?

Ugh, that again? I'm never going to live that down, am I?

Let me see...nope.

Never mind then...let's just explain what we're doing here.

What? Oh, right, I almost forgot. Anyway, I suppose it's best that I start at the beginning, since many of you guys weren't with us when we first started. As you all now know, the strange space incident that occurred last year was my fault. I lost control of some sort of deep reality warping power within me, and created a strange dimension where nothing made sense. While Gensokyo was ultimately saved from it, as Yukari has publically announced, the truth is that the space still exists, sealed away just beyond Gensokyo.

In fact, we just stumbled across its own daughter dimension recently! That was...interesting.

So that's why we've come here: to make sure this strange space is safe and no longer a threat to this world or any other.

But we've run into some setbacks...

Specifically, no one seemed to want to help. We asked the Hakurei miko, and she said no. Granted, that was probably to be expected, but the same thing happened when we asked the black-white witch, and the puppeteer, and the...

It wasn't until we got to Hakugyokurou that Yuyuko let slip about Yukari's meddling. I can't believe she would actually-

And that's why we had trouble finding help on this little quest of ours. But all was not lost! When we returned to the human village, we finally found someone willing to lend aid to us. Well, at least once we convinced her that we were human.

She was actually surprisingly helpful! She even said she had a friend who might be willing to come along as well. Although, I have no idea how she was planning on convincing her...

While that helpful woman went to go fetch her friend, we set off to look for more help. Luckily, help found us when we ran into two youkai being chased by the Hakurei miko. They practically begged us to help them out!

Oh yeah, that was pretty funny. How did you convince the miko to leave them alone?

Eh, I just told her that a wealthy dignitary was currently on his way to her shrine, and she dashed off just like that. Too easy.

Well, once we saved those youkai, we pretty much conscripted them to join. The green-haired one actually seemed terrified when we told him where we were going, although the other one didn't seem to mind.

I don't think she even understood what we were doing.

Eh, by hook or by crook. With that recruitment, we realized that the less well-known beings of Gensokyo probably didn't get the memo from Yukari, so we thought they might be a gold mine of untapped potential.

Uh...Mari, you ever wondered why the lesser-known folks are, well, lesser-known?

Hush, Renko! Not in front of them right now! Er, what I meant to say was, we left for Youkai Mountain with this in mind, and were able to find another member. She was a goddess to boot! Although, I can't fathom just how a goddess could be so little-known...

I think that was sort of a soft spot with her, Mari. Poor girl seems to have some self-esteem issues.

And speaking of issues, we also picked up a shy little kappa who didn't seem to listen to a word we were saying. She kind of just looked away from us and began talking to a pile of gadgets and contraptions she was carrying with her. She kept muttering about testing some new super-weapon, so we offered to help her test it out on some excellent targets. That really seemed to get her attention, although she still hardly said more than three words to us.

With most of our roster now filled, we met back with the kind human woman from earlier, who suggested we go looking even further up Youkai Mountain, near where the celestials dwelled. Apparently, Yukari had a very poor relationship with one celestial in particular, so we figured she wouldn't have bothered to show up there with her message.

But Keine was very adamant about not talking to the actual celestial, wasn't she?

Yes, that was really quite odd. Thankfully, we were able to find someone else there to help us out.

She seemed all too glad to get away from her work, actually. I love it when people are willing to walk into the maw of danger with us.

It's amazing how desperate some people were that they would actually be willing to come with us rather than stay where they were. We have that to thank for another poor girl, who was so abused at home that even the dark, deadly perils of another dimension were preferable over it.

Don't you feel a bit guilty for preying on the insecurities of these people for our own mission?

Well, it's not like they were all on the rebound. One of the last to join us was actually remarkably excited for the opportunity to come with us, even after hearing and understanding the immense danger we were going to be facing!

Although, the reasons she gave for coming with us sounded weird and confusing. Something about getting to keep everyone's corpses once they died? What's that even suppose to mean anyway?

Now, now, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just be thankful we were almost ready to go. All we lacked was someone who could show us the way through the major parts of the labyrinth. Someone who experienced it all firsthand, yet still wasn't high-profile enough for Yukari to keep an eye on.

We found the perfect person for the job as she was fleeing from the Scarlet Devil Mansion, screaming about being used for the librarian's spellcard experiments. All we had to do was have Mari open a portal into the strange space, and advertise a way of escape.

Maybe we should have told here she was going back to that place, because she did seem to freak out when-

Well, that's the story of how we all got here! Now, what do you all say to that?

What? What do you mean misrepresentation? Didn't we just explain the whole story to you? I mean, sure it was a bit late, but...

Well, too bad! We're not getting out of here until Mari opens another portal, so until then...

Renko, you can stop goading them now.

Welcome to the Labyrinth!

~ Renko Usami

~ Maribel Han

I changed Maribel's text color from her earlier appearance because I was afraid her original color would be too hard to read if used for her expanded role here. Hope it helps.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Such heroic main characters, tricking the gullible and terrified like that!

13. - Top - End - #133

Yay, more Touhou Labyrinth!

Yay, for funny conversations!

Yay Mokou!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I noticed that Maribel called Wriggle a boy. Will this gender confusion continue or not?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

hm question guys...
    whats BP :U
    lol nevermind.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sakai View Post
    hm question guys...
    whats BP :U
    Battle Points. Each character receives one for starting the battle in the active party (front 4), and one for ending the battle in the active party. So you get 8 BP/Battle split up between 4 or more characters.

There's 3 characters you recruit that require certain BP totals...

All of these characters I know need to gain a certain amount of BP for recruitment
    Spoiler
    Show

Rumia, Youmu, Chen, A combo of [Sanae, Reisen, Eirin, Mokou], and a combo of [Reimu, Marisa, and the SDM group]

17. - Top - End - #137

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Say My...Name?

Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou Plus Disk - Chapter 2

Spoiler
    Show

Why, hello there! You must be the harvest goddess, right? Mi, Mino...what was it again?

Um...my name is Minoriko.

Ah, yes, right. Sorry about that. I don't usually hear much about you.

Oh, it's OK, that's just typical. No one ever seems to remember me or my sister.

Huh? You have a sister?

*sigh* That's to be expected.

Uh, sorry about that...

No, no, you don't have to apologize.

You know, I can kind of sympathize with you. A lot of people pretend to have trouble remembering my name as well. I'm Meiling, by the way.

Thanks. So...where exactly are we?

This is the Labyrinth within the strange space that appeared in Gensokyo last year. You remember that incident, right? Well, this time we're even deeper than I've ever been. But it's OK, we'll get through this!

Wow, you're amazing. How can you say that without fear?

Well, I don't mean to brag, but I've been in pretty deep here before. Back then, I was scared. But through that experience, I earned my mistress's praise, and gained a bit of confidence along the way.

That's impressive. I don't think I'll ever do something like that. I mean, I can hardly even fight. I'm just a stage 1 boss that no one remembers...

Aren't you suppose to be a goddess?

Yes, but not of something that's actually useful when my life's in danger!

Well, then this is a great opportunity for you! Think of how much notoriety you'll gain if you end up resolving what even Lady Yukari couldn't even do!

N-no way! I can't do this.

Oh, sure you can! Here, just step in front of these enemies, and-

EEEK!!!

What are you doing?!

Relax, just stay back and let me take the brunt of their attacks. You can support us from behind, right?

Uh, right, but-

Come on, if you're going to survive in here, you're going to have to learn how to face danger.

If it's all the same with you, I'd rather not...

Now now, this is no time to be shy! Look, here comes some more!

What are these foul, detestable creatures?

I don't know, I've never seen them the last time I was here.

These huge muscled brutes are so disturbing! Even moreso than the demon in the corner!

Eh, I think it looks kind of cute in an ugly sort of way.

How can you be so calm?!

Don't worry, you'll adjust eventually. Hey, I know what will get you used to this quicker: how about a Sigil Guardian battle?

Wh-what? What's that suppose to be?

They're these dangerous creatures that must be defeated in order to unlock new areas of the Labyrinth. We're going to have to do this eventually if Maribel and Renko are to let us go.

When you say "dangerous", about how dangerous are you talking about?

Oh, I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle. Look, there it is already!

EEEK!!! Someone please let me out of here!

Calm down, we've got this. Just stand back and do what you can, um...what was your name again?

~ Hong Meiling

~ Minoriko Aki

When I first decided to form a team based on the least-used characters in the game, I admit that I chose Meiling even though she was never considered low-tier. If anything, she's arguably the best dedicated tank in the game. I went with her because I was confident that I could beat the game regardless of who the other 11 characters were, so long as I had Meiling reliably standing at the head of the party. She still sort of has a place on Team Unappreciated, though, because she's unappreciated in...other ways.

Minoriko, on the other hand, is an interesting case. Months ago, when the game first came out, most players dismissed her as soon as they recruited Sanae, think that the latter is just a strict upgrade. Minoriko is a dedicated healer who does little else, while Sanae can heal, cure status effects, and use a better buff that raises all stats rather than just DEF and MND. However, over time more and more players began to realize that Minoriko is actually much better than she had been given credit for. Even with lower stat growths than Sanae, the formula for her healing spell is much stronger, and the delay for the spell is a lot shorter too, allowing Minoriko to recover HP much faster than Sanae can. With less of a need to raise her MAG, Minoriko can freely spend her level bonuses on raising her MND, turning her into a fairly durable magic tank and shooting her survivability way above Sanae's. Nowadays, Minoriko is recognized as the stronger pure cleric of the two, while Sanae is used more for her other utility uses besides restoring HP, namely the offensive buffs and status healing.

The Plus Disk involves a fair bit of backtracking, as most players won't be strong enough to take on this boss when they first reach the 21st floor, and will probably return a lot later. Because of this somewhat non-linear nature of the Plus Disk, this part of the LP will be focused more on bosses than floors. I expect each chapter to be a boss fight, except for maybe the 23rd floor, which is gimmicky enough to merit its own chapter.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-08-12 at 02:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Monty Python and the Holy Grail references and dialogue regarding Reisen being a useless bunny and Minoriko's grape wine. Again plenty of humor in the playthrough of the boss.

19. - Top - End - #139

Rumia is healing instead of eating people? Wow.

Question for you; do you think up the dialogue while recording or after?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

Tragically, a few years later Reisen died of a broken down liver, her last words were, "I wish i'd just stayed a useless bunny..."
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-08-12 at 09:49 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Rumia is healing instead of eating people? Wow.

Question for you; do you think up the dialogue while recording or after?
    Rumia is a pretty decent healer if given MAG boosts. She main heals in a few other boss battles.

I always think of the dialogue after recording.

22. - Top - End - #142

yay for rumia. you should've used a full team 9 party
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    yay for rumia. you should've used a full team 9 party
    Well, I've already used Cirno earlier in the LP (which is why she's currently not present), and Mystia is arguably a top tier character in this game, so she wouldn't fit with the theme of the team. But Pesco over at shrinemaiden.org did attempt a Team 9 run of the game before.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Random thing I wanted to say really quick: Awesome avatar, btw. Tales of the Abyss is probably one of all-time favorite PS2 RPG's, and definitely my favorite Action-style RPG for the system, while Jade was my favorite character in the game. His combination of snark and power to back it up was always enjoyable.

I even just about finished the item book for that game, still need to go back sometime and get the dozen or so shop-only items I missed.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

I hate to ask, but where might I get a New Game+ savefile? I really want to just play with characters I like. Unlocking them is, to put it lightly, a horrific pain, so I was hoping to play the game sans headaches. Could I get any help here? Thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I hate to ask, but where might I get a New Game+ savefile? I really want to just play with characters I like. Unlocking them is, to put it lightly, a horrific pain, so I was hoping to play the game sans headaches. Could I get any help here? Thanks.
    Hope this works.

Unfortunately, this save file is currently glitched for 3.01, so you'll have to use it for the 2.04 version for best results. However, make sure you get the (untranslated) 2.06 version as well, as recruiting characters on 2.04 will reset their levels and skill points (but they keep the exp). To safely recruit characters you already have, you'll need to switch over to 2.06 (the save file is compatable with both) when you recruit, then save and switch back to 2.04 afterwards.

The differences between the versions aren't that huge, aside from Nitori being much worse in 2.04. I still haven't found a good working save file link for 3.01 yet; maybe I can get it working after beating the 30F on my current save file.

Edit: Someone over on shrinemaiden.org claims to have found a fix for using that NG+ file on 3.01:

I found this problem was caused by overwriting the save_NaN folder in TL 3.01's saves folder with the save_NaN folder from TL 2.04. When I did a fresh install of 3.01 and then copied in only save1/save2/save3, and then used the NG+ save file link from one of the earlier threads (I _think_ it was the third thread?), it worked perfectly - no messed up EXP or affinities.
    Haven't tried it out myself yet, but you can.

Edit: yeah, seems to work well enough. Just make sure you're using a fresh copy of 3.01, and move just the NG+ file into the save folder, replacing one of the Save 1-3 folders.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-08-14 at 01:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou Plus Disk - Chapter 3

Spoiler
    Show

Remind me why we're here again?

Because it's the 22nd floor? This looks like stone ruin overgrown with plants throughout the ages. How fascinating! I wonder what secrets it holds?

No, I mean why are we here in this labyrinth?

Come on, Mokou! It's for a good cause.

If you say so...

This incident affects everyone in Gensokyo. It's our duty to do our part.

I think we're doing more than our fair share.

Isn't that great?

Uh...sure.

How fascinating. It seems to move forward, we'll need to adjust the mystical frequencies of these crystals to open certain pathways through this maze.

You could have just said we needed to flip some switches.

Oh, hush. Don't you have any sense of imagination.

Whatever.

There, see? We can proceed this way.

Doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Hey, we all still have to do our part. It's second nature for me to solve any puzzles that stand in our way. You don't need to be rude about it.

Oh come on, you know I didn't mean it like that. Sorry...

It's OK. I understand, you're just frustrated, that's all. I think you'll feel better once you find your own niche here in our party.

Oh, I think I've already got an idea.

Werewolf flambé, anyone?

Well, I guess that's still a necessary duty.

What remarkable creatures. I've never seen anything like it.

What is that freaky thing suppose to be anyway?

It looks like a large skeletal spine with multiple hands protruding out of it. Ew...

Ha! I guess even your curiosity has its limits.

Oh, be quiet!

Sure, Keine-sensei. Sure.

I love this light show. Gensokyo's the only place I've seen in my long life where mayhem can be this beautiful.

This strange little goblin riding on a cloud is quite pesky. It just quickly buffs up all its allies.

So we kill it first. No big deal.

If only everything were so simple...

Hey, here's something different. You know what this means, don't you?

Another Sigil Guardian! How intriguing!

Well, we know what to do, don't we? Let's roast this weakling's hide. Let me at it!

Careful, Mokou! I don't think you ought to just charge forward into this guy like-

You're talking to someone who's immortal, you know. I can handle this! Bring it on!

Wow, what confidence! I'm so glad you're finally getting excited over this! Your boldness has inspired me to join you in sacrificing myself as a decoy!

Heh...wait, what?

~ Fujiwara no Mokou

~ Keine Kamishirasawa

Well, this took a long time to get done. The boss fight is just so long and boring, I had such a tough time figuring out what to write. Updates may be kind of erratic for this LP, although not nearly as long as this past update took.

Mokou is on this team because among all the dedicated damage dealers in the game, she's kind of forgettable. Her damage output isn't bad, but it's not phenominal either, so for the longest time her description was more average than flattering. However, I have found some neat uses for her. She's got much better durability than most other magic attackers in this game, like Patchouli, Marisa, and Yuyuko. She also possesses good variety in her attack elements, unlike Marisa or Yuyuko, who are both stuck with a single element. Oh, and she's way faster than Patchy and Yuyuko anyway. On my team, I use Mokou and Nitori as high delay nukers that get switched in and out quickly. However, since Mokou is much more durable, you'll notice that in almost every fight I tend to have her switched out when the boss attacks. Sometimes, you need someone capable of taking a few hits, even if they're not the best damage dealer.

Keine's spells really do look terribly average at first glance, but she actually does excel at something. Her offensive spells do just moderate damage (although they're versatile for nearly all situations), and Three Treasures - Mirror is pretty bad compared to Great Hakurei Barrier and IN Quadruple Barrier. However, her offensive buffs are better than I had thought when just looking at them on paper. Only 3 other characters can raise multiple characters' offensive stats at once: Ran, Renko, and Rinnosuke. Ran's Banquet of Twelve General Gods only raises stats by a small fraction of what Keine can do, so even if it does affect backrow characters, it takes forever to get your active characters to do high damage immediately, making it terrible to use in the middle of a damage race. Renko's Charge and Rinnosuke's World Shaking Military Rule raise all stats, but both come with heavy drawbacks; Charge can kill your own party if used improperly, while Military Rule can only ever be used once per fight. Keine, with her above average defenses and excellent HP and affinities, can stay out in the frontlines for a long time while spamming her buffs turn after turn, charging your party's offensive power quickly. Remember that ATK and MAG are useful even for tanks and healers like Meiling and Sanae, who need those stats to raise the potency of their healing spells.

28. - Top - End - #148

Yay, it's Mokou and Keine's turn! And monster-san does seem rather pitiful.

Also; "Just the sound of cackling flesh?" Huh?

29. - Top - End - #149

Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou Plus Disk - Chapter 4

Spoiler
    Show

This is...

Whee! It's like Rumia's flying!

How can you be so happy in a place like this?!

Because it's fun, silly!

We're standing on nothing! It's like we're lost in space! How exciting!

I'd feel more excited if I we're losing my lunch from this bizarre orientation...

Whoa! Check it out! The walls here are like bubbles that we can pass through at any time!

Well, that's certainly a strange design for a dungeon. So we can just jump in wherever we feel like? It can't be this simple...

Well, why not? It's about time Mister Dungeon was nice to us! This'll be easy!

No, it's never this easy. All along, this place (and our teammates) has been nothing but trouble, and I can't see how this floor will be any different.

Is that so? Well, do try to take it easy, Miss Paranoia!

I'm telling you, nothing good can come of meddling in forces we do not understand. Especially for lowly stage 1 bosses like us.

Ooh, let's poke through here!

Hey, stop dragging the entire party along with your whims! We're all stuck as one unit while exploring, you know.

Aww...once we get into the tunnel, we're stuck.

See? This is why we shouldn't act without thinking. Looks like we'll just have to follow this path back to the start again.

Boring!

So entering the visible path is a one-way action...it's almost like a maze within a maze here.

A doublemaze!

Sure, whatever you say...

Ooh! We found a shiny circle!

Careful, that's a teleporter. It'll probably lead us to another section of this maze. Let's slowly step on it together and-

WHEEEEEE!!!

Whaaa!!! We're floating in total nothingness!

Whoa, this is bizarre. Not a single thing in sight! Where are we even suppose to go?

Just pick any direction?

But there are no more visible paths to mark where we can or cannot go. We can't even see where we've been! This is the stupidest maze ever: a maze with no walls at all!

But it's still effective...Rumia's totally lost!

What are we suppose to do, comb every inch of this desolate emptiness?

...Maybe?

...Fine. Let's start walking.

Are we there yet?

No.

Are we there yet?

The answer is still no.

Are we there yet?

I don't even know where "there" is!

Are we th- Ooh, baddies!

No. Wait, I mean yes.

Can Rumia eat them?

Something tells me you wouldn't want to eat the glowing green men from another dimension.

*Burp* What were you saying?

*sigh* Nevermind...

It's great how much more edible the baddies on this floor are!

I'm curious, why don't you show such enthusiasm for snacking on the humans we have with us?

Ooh, Rumia knows not to eat friends. What did you take Rumia for, a manju bun?

I have no idea how to answer that question.

We've been walking for ages! Rumia's exhaused! Are we th-

No! And stop asking!

Actually, I think we are.

Well, that's just preposter-

I hate you.

Aww, thanks. Rumia loves you too.

What a wonderful world you must live in...

~ Wriggle Nightbug

~ Rumia

No boss fight this time. Just a very strange and unique floor.

Wriggle is a very underrated character whose contribution to battle often goes unnoticed. Poison damage can't be seen or measured easily, so most players tend to ignore it completely, or assume that other characters like Komachi and Yuugi can cause decent enough poison effects on their own. In reality, poison damage varies drastically depending on who causes it, as each character has their own PSN effect strength. Wriggle's is by far the best in the game, boasting a PSN effect of 3 to 4 times as high as most other characters can manage. Extremely few bosses in the game can resist poison as well, surprisingly enough. The damage is most significant in the early game, where your lower SPD stats mean much more time in between turns for poison to do its work. At endgame, though, very few tics pass between turns, making poison damage much less useful. So while Wriggle's poison damage is actually remarkably strong in the main game, during the Plus Disk her damage output is much less impressive. Still, she does fill one more role: backup tanking. Wriggle's HP and defenses aren't that bad, and since most of her damage comes from poison, which only increases with the user's level and not their ATK/MAG, Wriggle is free to spend all her resources on raising her defenses. She also has some of the best natural status resistances in the game for all status effects, giving her excellent survivability in boss fights when outfitted properly.

Rumia is very fragile and not too fast, but levels up at a remarkably high rate. To most people's surprise, Moonlight Ray has a ridiculously powerful damage formula, easily dwarfing other nuke-level spells like KO in Three Steps, Silent Selene, and Fujiyama Volcano. Unfortunately, Rumia's MAG growth isn't very good, but the formula still makes her a capable MYS damage dealer. Her most useful spell for my team, though, was Demarcation. In the early game, it's a pretty disappointing healing spell that barely recovers much HP at all, although it does cleanse all stat down effects. But if you concentrate on leveling up her MAG and use someone to boost her MAG further, such as Keine, Iku, or Ran, then Rumia can actually become a pretty good healer. While she's slower than Reimu, Demarcation still has much less delay and a way lower SP cost than Exorcising Barrier, making it a decent healing spell for spamming turn after turn if you choose to leave her out. And of course, unlike Reimu, Rumia can still spend her free turns nuking with Moonlight Ray for amazing damage (for a healer). She may take effort and patience to use well, but come late-game Rumia becomes a startlingly useful character who can both attack and heal.

30. - Top - End - #150

Wriggle here reminds me of Moloch von Zinzer from Girl Genius.

I'm also glad to see this is still alive and kicking; I'd been hoping it wasn't dead.