New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Upgrading Warforged [3.5]

I'm starting a campaign that features Warforged in it (not Eberron) and was looking for additional body feats and components, as well as anything else that might be appropriate. That said, here are some of my own ideas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Energy Cannon (attached component): Energy cannons are one of the most powerful and highly customized components available to warforged. This large metal cylinder covers the hand and forearm, making it impossible to use that hand for any purpose, but does not interfere with spellcasting as long as the other hand is usable. It takes the glove body slot. It is also possible to wear a ring and bracer normally when wearing a energy cannon.
    The basic energy cannon increases the damage of your slam attack as if you were three sizes larger (this means a normal warforged deals 2d6 with his slam attack) and allows your slam attack to be enchanted as a gauntlet, and it also allows you to channel the power of the elements though the elemental blast ability.
    An elemental cannon can be modified to hold wands, just like a wand sheath allowing it to hold up to three wands.
    Elemental Blast: 5 times per day you can make a ranged touch attack against any target within 60', this attack deals 7d6 points of energy damage. Before making the attack, select the energy type from among acid, cold, electricity or fire. The elemental blast ability can only be used if the elemental cannon has been worn for longer then 24 hours, all other functions operate whenever the elemental cannon is worn.
    Basic – Strong Evocation & Transmutation; CL 14th; Craft Wondrous Item, glorious master of the elements, greater mighty wallop; Price: 107,280 gp.
    Added Wand Sheath (single) – Craft Wand, polymorph; Price 112,280 gp.
    Added Wand Sheath (double) – Craft Wand, polymorph; Price 119,780 gp.
    Added Wand Sheath (triple) – Craft Wand, polymorph; Price 129,780 gp.

Hecatoncheires Arms (attached component): Named after the hundred-handed giants, the Hecatoncheires Arms grant a warforged an additional set of arms. Crafted to fit below the normal arms of the warforged, they are linked to the warforged, and are only slightly weaker then then warforged own normal arms (effectively count as a -2 penalty to the warforged normal Strength score). A warforged possessing the Two Weapon Fighting feat (or any related feats) are replaced with the Multiweapon Fighting feat (or other appropriate feat) as long as the Hecatoncheires Arms are worn. The arms can wear rings, gloves, bracers or even other warforged components, although no additional magic item slots are gained. The Hecatoncheires Arms takes up the equivalent of the vest magic item position.
    A few sets of Hecatoncheires Arms are built with two additional sets of arms, both sets of these arms are identical, and grant the same benefits as the single set.
    Strong Transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, polymorph, stone to flesh; Price: 45,000 gp (single set), 120,000 gp (double set)

Wand Sheath, Multiple (embedded component): As a normal Wand Sheath except that it can hold two, three, or four wands instead of a single wand. Only one wand can be activated per round.
    Faint Transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Wand, polymorph; Price: 10,000 gp (two wands), 18,000 gp (three wands), 24,000 gp (four wands).

EDIT: Changed the Elemental Cannon and Hecatoncheires Arms to attached components, which fits in better with other components.
    Last edited by lightningcat; 2010-03-09 at 05:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Upgrading Warforged

Pretty cool. A while ago I did something kind of like this, but now I can't find the files.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I assume Polymorph is standard for stuff like this?

The Hecatoncheires Arms are going to be exceedingly popular on high level rogue builds.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I assume Polymorph is standard for stuff like this?
    It seems to be the basis of most of the other components, so I just went with it.

The Hecatoncheires Arms are going to be exceedingly popular on high level rogue builds.
    That would work too, but the first image I had was using a shield, longsword and greatsword simultaneously.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Upgrading Warforged [3.5]

The first one makes me want to make some kind of template or similar system for making partial warforged (I'm thinking of creating Cyborg)

Anyone wanna help?
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2010-03-07 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    The first one makes me want to make some kind of template or similar system for making partial warforged (I'm thinking of creating Cyborg)

Anyone wanna help?
    There is the renegade master maker.
    But sure I'll help.
    Last edited by Geiger Counter; 2010-03-07 at 07:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, I'll set up a thread soon, then send it to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I love stuff like this.

Another possibility is a transforming upgrade. The warforged can transform into some object - a cart, a wagon, or even a ballista or something.

Of course it's a mechanical transformation that makes an audible "durvh-durvh-durvh" noise...
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2010-03-08 at 10:41 AM.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a similar piece to your energy cannon, though significantly more mundane all around. It's from a mildly gunpowder-familiar setting, though.

Masterwork Integrated Revolver
    1,300gp + time
    2d6 piercing for mundane ammunition. 8-round barrel revolver. Occupies no magic item slot. Ejecting and inserting a new magazine is a full-round action provoking an attack of opportunity. May be fired as a ranged attack (but only once regardless of BAB, due to mechanical requirements), or as part of an unarmed attack (firing once using the mainhand's first attack roll).

Standard ammunition is equivalent to masterwork crossbow bolts, and requires the vendor have access to both gunpowder and specialty crafting supplies (which generally triples the cost and time for the first few visits to a particular vendor). Ammunition enchantments and special materials are up to GM discretion due to the unusual nature of the weapon. My own gun is integrated into my right forearm (mainhand), but the GM and I have shared thoughts on encountering more severe Bayonetta-style warforged.

10. - Top - End - #10

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    I love stuff like this.

Another possibility is a transforming upgrade. The warforged can transform into some object - a cart, a wagon, or even a ballista or something.

Of course it's a mechanical transformation that makes an audible "durvh-durvh-durvh" noise...
    Not quite the same idea, but something similar. PEACH

Beast Spark (embedded component): This small golden orb is about the size of a human fist. If inserted into the chest of an appropriate type of warforged, it gain the benefits of the beast spark, and the beast spark takes up the amulet magic item slot. The beast form ability allows them to transform into the specified animal at will, and the second is an ability that they can use in either form.
    While in beast form they lose any of their normal attacks, and instead gain the attacks listed below. Also, any worn items or attached components meld into their new form and become nonfunctional. Any embedded components remain functional as well as their composite armor, although both change shape to fit the warforged beast form. While in beast form the warforged looks like a construct version of the animal unless other measures are taken to disguise it.
    Warforged
    Boar: beast form (+2 Str, +2 natural armor, lowlight vision, primary gore 1d8); Ferocity (can fight without penalty even when disabled or dying).
    Cheetah: beast form (+2 Str, +2 natural armor, lowlight vision, trip, 2 secondary claws 1d2, primary bite 1d6); Sprint (once per hour can move 10 times normal speed when making a charge).
    Leopard: beast form (+2 Str, +2 natural armor, improved grab, 2 secondary claws 1d3, primary bite 1d6, rake 1d3); Pounce ability.
    Wolf: beast form (+2 Str, +2 natural armor, lowlight vision, trip, primary bite 1d6); Scent.
    Warforged Scout
    Dire Rat: beast form (+2 Dex, +1 natural armor, climb 20', lowlight vision, primary bite 1d4); Masterful Climber (+8 bonus on Climb checks and can always take 10 on climb checks, even if rushed or threatened, may use Dex modifier when making Climb checks instead of Str).
    Eagle: beast form (+2 Dex, +1 natural armor, fly 80', 2 primary claws 1d4, secondary bite 1d4); +8 bonus to Perception checks, lowlight vision.
    Fox: beast form (+2 Dex, +1 natural armor, lowlight vision, trip, primary bite 1d4); Scent.
    Warforged Charger
    Bear: beast form (+4 Str, -2 Dex, lowlight vision, improved grab, 2 primary claws 1d4, secondary bite 1d6); +4 natural armor.
    Deinonychus: beast form (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +4 natural armor, lowlight vision, pounce, primary talons 2d6, secondary bite 2d4, 2 secondary claws 1d3); Scent.
    Lion/Tiger: beast form (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +4 natural armor, lowlight vision, improved grab, 2 primary claws 1d4, secondary bite 1d8, rake 1d4); Pounce ability.
    Rhino: beast form (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +4 natural armor, lowlight vision, primary gore 2d6); Powerful Charge (deal double damage when making a charge).
    Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, polymorph; Price: 50,000 gp

I need a better name, but it was the best I could think of. Any other animals would be good as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I like the Beast Spark. Does it leave them as creatures of the living construct type?
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

12. - Top - End - #12

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    I like the Beast Spark. Does it leave them as creatures of the living construct type?
    Yes, it does not change their type, just their shape.

Anyone have any other creatures to add to this list?
    Last edited by lightningcat; 2010-03-14 at 10:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC

13. - Top - End - #13

RangerGuy

BUMP

Still looking for ideas and help.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Big warforged fan here, I like this stuff. As for ideas, laser eyes are simple and always cool (scorching ray at whatever CL=two rays). Maybe some wheels for fast transportation.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

There was a Beast Machines PrC within the last few months... don't know if that has been mentioned yet.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    BUMP

Still looking for ideas and help.
    Hmm. Copied out of a google doc for powered armor. Different system, but the ideas still work, and its Space Opera, not sci-fi, so it should transfer easily.
    Spoiler
    Show

Components Of Powered Armor
    CPA is a slot based powered armor system, where various components fill "slots" that come with various types of powered armor, and suits are rendered unique by the stuff they have in them. All components allow duplicates, unless they are italicized. All powered armor has the following statistics, that use a numerical scale:

Armor Rating(DDF): Adds its rating to DDF applied to the wearer to prevent injury.
    Structure: Represents durability of armor to continued punishment. Added to Armor DDF when resisting damage dealt directly to the Armor. Doesn't protect the wearer.
    Shield Rating(DDF): Shields the wearer and armor from injury. Eats up 1 energy per point damage blocked by shielding. Applies prior to Armor Rating.
    Energy Reserves: A measure of Power available to components requiring significant amounts of generator strain. Primarily used by Shields.
    Shield Reflection: Advanced shield technology allowing more efficient shielding. Reduces energy required by shields (functions similar to DDF, if Energy were hit points).

Powered armor is typically classified in four general categories:
    Light: 5 slots
    Medium: 8 slots, -1 to melee combat.
    Heavy: 11 slots, -1 to melee combat, -1 to agility.
    Very Heavy: 14 slots, -2 to melee combat, -1 to agility, -1 to ranged combat.

The Components
    Armor
    Armor: 1 slot, +1 DDF, +1 Structure
    Structural Integrity: 1 slot, +4 Structure
    Sealing Joints: 1 slot, +4 DDF until unsealed, immobile, requires outside help to unseal.
    Cooling Systems: 1 slot, +3 DDF against heat based weaponry and damaging heat sources.
    Mirroring: 1 slot, +3 DDF against lasers.
    Shock Absorbing: 1 slot, +4 DDF against concussive weaponry, including explosions.
    Vibration Damping: 1 slot, +6 DDF against sound based weaponry.
    Whipple Shield: 1 slot, +3 DDF against particle weapons.
    Reactive Armor: 2 slots, permanently destroy Structure for 1 use DDF (1 structure=2 DDF). Repairs fix this.

Shields
    Shields: 1 slot, +1 Shield DDF, +3 Energy
    Shield Generator: 1 slot, +6 Energy
    Framing Field: +2 Shield Reflection
    Fuel Cell Slot: 1 slot, +12 Energy, Requires replacement fuel cells.
    Emergency Shields: 1 slot, +4 Shield DDF for 1 round. Requires recharging.
    Dissipation Field: 2 slots, +6 DDF against EMC weaponry.

Sensors
    Sensor System: 1 slot for 3 sensor slots.
    Lighting Systems: 1 sensor slot.
    Infra-Red Sensor: 1 sensor slot, perceive heat.
    Motion Detector: 1 sensor slot, +3 to perception against moving targets.
    Zoom: 1 sensor slot, allows close searching.
    High-freq Radar: 1 sensor slot. +2 to perception against targets within short range.
    Satellite Link: 1 slot. Maps and such can be downloaded.

Other
    Jet Pack: 1 slot, 3 m/s^2 acceleration. Burns 1 energy per round.
    Gliding Wings: 2 slots, reduces Jet Pack consumption to 1/4 energy per round.
    Weapon Grip: 1 slot, holds one weapon to the armor.
    Strength Enhancement: 1 slot, +1 strength
    Strength Amplifier: 3 slots, +2 strength.
    Point Defense: 2 slots, Missiles must have a Fair+ roll or are destroyed.
    Filter Systems: 1 slot, life support given an atmosphere
    Pressure Suit: 3 slots, life support given no atmosphere or an atmosphere.
    Faraday Cage: 3 slots, Prevents electromagnetic pulses and similar.
    Bracing: 2 slots, allows +3 scale weaponry. Takes 1 round to place, -2 agility while braced.

Slotless Tweaks
    Low Friction Boots: Double speed, -1 agility.
    Magnetized Boots: 1/2 speed on metal, magnetized.

I would also add mirroring, which converts some armor bonus to a deflection bonus in D&D. Sealing joins basically means sealing the joints for immobility, which in D&D would be a big chunk of DR and Energy resistance, but immobility. Mostly useful against massive explosions. Note that some formatting was lost, and not all of these stack. The odd ones are Jetpack(It does stack, and takes 3 jetpacks to get near hover and 4 to manage flight. Expensive, and changeable in D&D.)
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #17

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    There was a Beast Machines PrC within the last few months... don't know if that has been mentioned yet.
    Actually, that was the thread that got me to thinking about this topic.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm working on a Megaman X sort of character. Any idea on how to integrate all those nifty launchers and special abilities to a Warforged?
    ad maiorem Dei gloriam !

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Awesome! I came up with a whole bunch of very similar ideas for my Tome of Iron project, but I could never find anyone to give me advice on the pricing.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2013-04-02 at 04:16 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, I've started a new threat for that: Megaman X
    ad maiorem Dei gloriam !