New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wizard build

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Wizard build

There are 9 schools of magic and 9 spell levels...

If you was rating the school of magic to restrict a wizard from taking those schools (based on power/usefulness or just fluff) how would you rank them? I was thinking illusion and enchantment would be easier than conjuration but not sure about all of them and how they should be "ranked". This is for a wizard I'm making a friend who likes the idea that schools take different skill to master.

Example
    lvl 0 : all
    lvl 1: Gain Illusion
    lvl 2: Gain Enchantment

All level 0 spells are available no matter what the school since they are just sooo easy to perform. When you gain a spell level you gain access to a new school... At level 1 you gain Illusion and can only use the level 1 Illusion spells. When you gain second level spells you may choose spells from Illusion and Enchantment.

For later schools I'm not sure where they should be placed and please remember this is more for a RP than for power gaming

EDIT: The rest of the wizard will come next
    Last edited by Evard; 2010-03-17 at 04:55 PM.
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard build

Lvl 1: Illusion - Just images and apparations, nothing real
    Lvl 2: Evocation - Simple channeling of magical energies
    Lvl 3: Transmutation - Altering things; quite simple application of energy
    Lvl 4: Enchantment - Picking minds; sophisticated but not too difficult
    LVl 5: Conjuration - Breaking the barriers between levels of existence - quite difficult
    Lvl 6: Divination - Seeing the future, the past, the present, touching minds of immortal beings, etc. Lots of effort
    Lvl 7: Abjuration - Unraveling the very magic itself
    LVl 8: Necromancy - Mastery over the very energies that make life and death itself
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Level 1: Evocation

Evocation is the most basic school of magic, and the foundation of all other magic. You learn to harness arcane power in the world around you and shape it to your desires.

Warmages were born from pragmatic-minded wizards, who saw that Evocation had plenty of brutal utility and began applying it to combat.

Level 2: Illusion

Illusion is the first school that begins one of the more difficult aspects of magic: affecting another person directly. Yes, a fireball can destroy a person... but high-level illusion magic directly invades their minds. Since the low-level spells are merely projections and patterns, it's somewhat easy though. However, it takes restraint to produce subtle things like illusions when you're used to turning arcane energy into something destructive.

Level 3: Enchantment

Like illusion spells, enchanting is difficult because it involves another person. Enchantment has a vital limitation, however. As much as you control its mind, enchantment cannot change the heart of a sentient creature.

Level 4: Divination

Divination begins to reach into the limits of magics possibilities. You can commune with gods and read the future, and these capabilities are highly restricted (unlike lower levels, where Dominate Person can give you total control over a person). Magic at this level begins to be unpredictable and unstable.

Level 5: Necromancy

Necromancy directly reaches into manipulation of life energy, something usually in the purview of gods and divine magic. Arcane energy is not meant to be used to do divine work, hence necromancy tends to be extremely difficult.

Level 6: Transmutation

Finally, we move into the realm of truly "impossible" magic. It is not possible to create actual, real change with magic. Transmutation magic is a high-level mages' attempt to create change, but transmutation is inherently unstable and transient.

Level 7: Conjuration

The other "impossible" school of magic is conjuration. Arcane energy does not create. Conjuration can mimic creation with crude, temporary objects; create a transient effect (such as an orb) or create passage (through teleportation). But again, these are unstable, impermanent effects.

Level 8: Abjuration

The king of magic schools, Abjuration has power over all other schools of magic.

Pseudo-Level 9: Wish

Wish is the spell that breaks all of the rules of magic. Wish can do the impossible. It can create real change (inherent bonuses), create real objects, and even change the heart. However, casters cannot learn it. Wish is less of a spell and more of a cosmic event. A powerful extraplanar source (such as a Rank 20+ deity) may grant a wish, or a character might try to forcibly evoke a wish from the Grand Arcana, a pool of primal and untapped arcana that supposedly gave birth to the deities and to the universe itself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

(1) Divination. Before you can learn how to change the flow of the aether, you must learn to detect it.
    (2) Illusion. The next lesson: you don't actually change things yet, but make it seem as if you do.
    (3) Abjuration. The final preparatory lesson, before you do anything big you must learn how to protect yourself from it if it goes wrong.
    (4) Enchantment. Improving what is already there, without making fundamental changes yet.
    (5) Transmutation. Changing what is already there.
    (6) Evocation. Creating raw essence.
    (7) Conjuration. Creating complex matter.
    (8) Necromancy. A post-graduate study primarily because it is a forbidden subject.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DAmn! I haven't seen this thread and I've started a similar!
    Ellery: "We will not be caught by surprise."
    Entreri: "Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words."
    Jarlaxle: "Then I am glad once again that you are on my side."
    Entreri: "They've often said that too."