New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: More flumphs than you can shake a flindbar at: Let's Read the Tome of Horrors!

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post

Throat Leech
    A leech that drains 1d3 Constitution damage a round until it gets so fat that it starts to suffocate its target. Is weak to fire damage. Eh.
    "FIRE IN MY MOUTH!!!"

Player 1: Swallow Throat Leech
    Player 2: Pours Alchemist's Fire down throat

I can just imagine that happening...
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2010-09-17 at 09:58 PM.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: More flumphs than you can shake a flindbar at: Let's Read the Tome of Horrors!

"It tastes like burning!"

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Twilight Mushroom
    A CR 7 hazard that deals Constitution damage and causes disabling choking and coughing fits upon being messed with. It's not really particularly interesting.
    It is sparkly and can fascinate stupid teens
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

4. - Top - End - #424
    Bugbear in the Playground

On the Snakes Appendix
    While technically an appendix, this is all the attention I'll give to Appendix C. It's a big list of changed damages for the venomous snake based on specific snake species ranging from the Rinkhal's cobra and death adder to the taipan (both coastal and western) and copperhead. There are also different conditions besides ability score damage, including tissue necrosis and suffocation. It's very useful if you don't like having set venom damage for all venomous snakes, but isn't exactly useful otherwise. I like it personally, though. There are a total of 47 snake species in the list.

Anyway, enough of that, let's get into Appendix D: Animals.

Barracuda
    Erm...hm. While some of the creatures in this chapter are fantasy-based, a fair dose are real creatures. So...hm. How best to do this...okay. I guess I can give a brief description of the animal for those unfamiliar with it before going into their d20 stats and comparing them with any WoTC version if those exist. So...

Barracudas, for those of you unfamiliar with them, are long, toothy fish that somewhat resemble the freshwater pike, ranging in size from the 2-foot yellowtail to the 6+-foot great barracuda. Stats are provided for a Small, Medium-size, and Large barracuda, which are CR 1/4, 1, and 2, respectively. By comparison, the barracuda in Stormwrack is Medium-size, but only CR 1/2, and deals 1d4 bite damage rather than 1d6 like the one in ToH.

Caribe, Giant
    If you couldn't guess by the name, our first fantasy monster is a human-sized version of the piranha. They gain extra attacks when blood is in the water, keen scent, and have a 1d6 bite. They are stated to be saltwater piranhas, but that seems somewhat suspect, as that would mean that these giant piranhas are pretty much just sharks with another name....oh wait!

Deer
    Deer are antlered mammals that live in various parts of the Northern (and some of the Southern) hemisphere, in case you didn't know that...please tell me you did know that. Anyway, deer are CR 1/4 and have 1d4 damage hoof attacks and a 1d6 gore attack. All deer have bonuses to Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Swim checks, and black-tailed deer get a bonus to Jump checks as well; why only black-tailed deer, I'm not sure, as I've seen white-tailed deer with some pretty springing steps.
    LGBTitP

5. - Top - End - #425

Eel, Electric
    In case you didn't know, electric eels are vaguely eel-like fish that are actually from the family known as the "naked-backed" knifefishes and can produce a hefty electric shock. In game terms, this is 3d8 electricity damage against targets within 5 feet, and 2d8 for targets from 6 to 10 feet away. They are CR 2 and size Large; rather odd, considering that real electric eels are only about 6 feet long.

Fox
    The swift and agile fox is a rather unimpressive CR 1/3 Animal, most likely only in the ToH as a baseline for the foxwere.

Hamster, Giant
    Oh, yes, I can already hear the references for this one coming, and the answer is: no. There is not a miniature giant space hamster as well, although you could always apply the Miniature template from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary and the Space Creature template from d20 Future if you were really so inclined. Standard giant hamsters are CR 3 and size Large. They're immune to disease and have a pseudo-swallow whole "cheek pouch" ability.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2010-09-19 at 10:01 PM.
    LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

I never got the whole hamster thing, even with Spelljammer. Seems like some sort of April fools' editing joke that made it to print.

There sure are a lot of giant fish in the animals section...

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I never got the whole hamster thing, even with Spelljammer. Seems like some sort of April fools' editing joke that made it to print.
    Well, they are gnome-related...

There sure are a lot of giant fish in the animals section...
    Oh, it gets worse. Just wait until we get to the giant tiger barb.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2010-09-19 at 11:50 PM.
    LGBTitP

8. - Top - End - #428

Hippopotamus
    Hippopotami are large, amphibious herbivores from Africa; two extant species exist, the stats here replicating the larger common hippo. What's interesting to note is that while the hippo in this book has a lower Challenge Rating than the one in Sandstorm (CR 4 as opposed to 6), msotly due to lower ability scores, the ToH hippo is arguably more dangerous as it has the Trample and Capsize special qualities, while the Sandstorm hippo has neither.

Lizard, Giant Rock-Horned
    Like its real-life relative, the horned lizard or "horny toad" as some call it, this CR 3 Medium Animal can fire a stream of blood from its eyes. Unlike real horned lizards, however, this version deals 2d8 points of acid damage with its blood...huh.

Marmoset, Giant
    Hey, another giant version of a real creature! The CR 1 Medium-size giant marmoset is, ironically, a giant version of the smallest species of monkey, the pygmy marmoset. Worthy of note is that it is stated that jungle halflings capture giant marmosets and use them as mounts, which is such a silly mental image that it wheels around into being glorious.
    LGBTitP

9. - Top - End - #429

Moose
    Ah, the moose, the largest of the extant deer. To you not from North America, you may know this creature as the elk...or you may not, it's not for me to judge what linguistic definition you are using. In any case, by the d20 definition here, moose are a CR 3 Animal with 1d8 damage from its head butt/antler slam/whatever you wish to call it attack and 1d6 from its hooves.

Quipper
    A piranha. A cold-water piranha. Does the random cold-water-dwelling note actually affect anything? Nope. Not even some cold resistance to differentiate them from being just a piranha.

Sheep
    Good for your farmery, I guess. Stats are given for a CR 1/4 standard ewe and a CR 1 ram. Neither are that impressive,, but really, they're sheep. What did you expect?
    Last edited by Rappy; 2010-09-26 at 02:29 AM.
    LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #430
    Banned

What is this obsession with giving stats to completely mundane animals? I mean when is the last time a GM was desperately needing the stats for a sheep or a moose?

Also i believe that all non-native English speakers know moose by that name and not as elk. At least i have only ever heard it called moose in English, though elk is clearly related to the Danish word for it.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Moose
    Ah, the moose, the largest of the extant deer. To you not from North America, you may know this creature as the elk...or you may not, it's not for me to judge what linguistic definition you are using. In any case, by the d20 definition here, moose are a CR 3 Animal with 1d8 damage from its head butt/antler slam/whatever you wish to call it attack and 1d6 from its hooves.

Quipper
    A piranha. A cold-water piranha. Does the random cold-water-dwelling note actually affect anything? Nope. Not even some cold resistance to differentiate them from being just a piranha.

Sheep
    Good for your farmery, I guess. Stats are given for a CR 1/4 standard ewe and a CR 1 ram. Neither are that impressive,, but really, they're sheep. What did you expect?
    Actually, moose and elk are completely different. The antlers man, the antlers! That said, strange...

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    What is this obsession with giving stats to completely mundane animals? I mean when is the last time a GM was desperately needing the stats for a sheep or a moose?

Also i believe that all non-native English speakers know moose by that name and not as elk. At least i have only ever heard it called moose in English, though elk is clearly related to the Danish word for it.
    What if you want a dire Foo Moose?

Moose and Elks are also fairly different animals. Ok, not fairly, but mildly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing is, the Moose is the same as the European Elk. The North American Elk is a different animal. As are the Indian Elk and the Irish Elk (which actually isn't an Elk. Go figure).
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    The thing is, the Moose is the same as the European Elk. The North American Elk is a different animal. As are the Indian Elk and the Irish Elk (which actually isn't an Elk. Go figure).
    I see.

This is what happens when uncreative people name animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Banned

It does make sense though. Elk is clearly related to the Scandinavian word for the animal, elg (pronounced with the G almost counted as a second syllable of "yuh" in Danish at least). I find it more interesting that they dropped that name in North America, probably because the settler didn't really know much about an animal living in Sweden, Finland and Russia and just grabbed the local name for it.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

The scandinavian moose is also called Elch in German. The North American Elk is simply wrong.
    Last edited by Yora; 2010-09-26 at 07:40 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #437
    Colossus in the Playground

Which is why it's also called wapiti. I've also heard it called a deer by some people. That lecture got confusing fast
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #438
    Banned

Well, it is a kind of deer. Just like a moose or a caribou is. Quite a few kinds of deer out there, actually.

19. - Top - End - #439

Yes, but I meant specific deer names. Large Red Deer, or something like that. That was a year or so ago.

20. - Top - End - #440

Marmoset, Giant
    Hey, another giant version of a real creature! The CR 1 Medium-size giant marmoset is, ironically, a giant version of the smallest species of monkey, the pygmy marmoset. Worthy of note is that it is stated that jungle halflings capture giant marmosets and use them as mounts, which is such a silly mental image that it wheels around into being glorious.
    Ignoring all the talk about moose and elk, I totally want to play a jungle halfling riding a Giant (Pigmy) Marmoset now.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

21. - Top - End - #441

Wow, I didn't expect an off-hand joke about the strange idiosyncrasies of non-binominal nomenclature animal naming to spark this much discussion.

TheMeMan: Yes, I know the difference between the moose/elk and the elk/wapiti, as well as between those and Megaloceros/Irish elk. I am a woman of many talents; while biology is one of those, wording is not. Sorry if it sounded like I was stating the elk and moose were the same creature.

Terraoblivion: There are a surprising number of animal-only templates. And hey, at least they're in a brief appendix, rather than taking up hefty amounts of space.

The Dark Fiddler: Give the halfling a blowpipe while you're at it, just to go all-out.

-------------------------

Skunk
    Skunks are most well-known for their odious musk, which is of course a special quality here. In spite of said musk, however, skunks are one of the weakest creatures in the book at a measly CR 1/8.

Tiger Barb, Giant
    ...Really? For those that don't know, tiger barbs are popular aquarium stock fish with striped patterning (hence the name) that are in the same family as carp and "true minnows". While they are known for being rather nippy and forming little gangs to harass other tank fish, inflating one from 2 inches long to a 15-foot long CR 2 Animal doesn't make me feel intimidated. If anything, they've just given stats for a very weak shark, since I doubt I'd ever try to tell players they are being assaulted by a giant minnow with a straight face.

Turtle, Giant Snapping
    This, on the other hand, I could see being frightening. Snapping turtles are rather unpleasant to be around, and the idea of one that is 40 feet is frightening. You could probably use these for a swamp version of the "island that isn't an island" trope, or have the giant snapping turtle as a legendary lake monster a la the Beast of 'Busco (look it up if you aren't familiar with it).

And with that, the Animals appendix is done! Next time, we start on the demons and devils so we can finally finish up this tome.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2010-09-27 at 02:26 AM.
    LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #442

So this book gives you the tools to make a dire skunk?

Awesome.

23. - Top - End - #443

Yeah, you'll have to excuse me. I just switched from entomology to game animals this semester, so I'm a little invested in the subject

Anyway. Tiger Barbs are a strange idea. I mean, I can see giant versions of small critters, i.e. Hamsters or Marmosets being funny, but Tiger Barb? That's just boring.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I once ran a game (back in 2E) where the Wizard character's master gave him a magical recording orb, and a tome that could take dictation, and tasked his apprentice with documenting obscure creatures as he adventured, so he could add them to the Grand Bestiary he was working on.
    I know this is a little late (I read this thread only every so often, as I enjoy it and like it in bigger chunks) but you invented Pokemon?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

25. - Top - End - #445

Probably not, since it's a recording orb, not a creature capturing orb.

But then, a magical item that cast Forcecage followed by a cheesed up Reduce Monster effect and an extradimensional storage...

Excuse me, I need to go write something up.

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Anyway. Tiger Barbs are a strange idea. I mean, I can see giant versions of small critters, i.e. Hamsters or Marmosets being funny, but Tiger Barb? That's just boring.
    On the one hand, the giant tiger barb is a ToH original rather than a conversion of an older creature to 3E.

On the other, the quipper is from the 1E Fiend Folio, so...
    LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #447

Yeah, but... who ever thought Tiger Barbs were exciting monsters? There's so many more interesting aquatic critters. Giant Pistol Shrimp? Gulper eel? Goblin Shark (come on, after so many sea-creature related puns, that one is obvious)?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Probably not, since it's a recording orb, not a creature capturing orb.

But then, a magical item that cast Forcecage followed by a cheesed up Reduce Monster effect and an extradimensional storage...

Excuse me, I need to go write something up.
    Heres how I saw his post:

"I once ran a game (back in 2E) where Prof. Oak gave him a PokeDex, and tasked Ash with documenting obscure creatures as he adventured, so he could add them to the Grand Bestiary he was working on."

Seems spot on to me.
    Last edited by Koury; 2010-09-27 at 05:06 AM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

29. - Top - End - #449

There actually is a gulper eel in Tome of Horrors III. But that's still a few threads into the future.

And since this thread has been so bustling in the past day, I'm gonna reward y'all with the first demons post!

Demon, Aeshma
    The vicious CR 11 aeshma (or rage) demon is a winged giant of basalt and bottled fury, a demonic warrior whose anger bubbles beneath its skin, just waiting to be released. They are also demons that can quite easily hound you. It can teleport, see through invisibility, dispel magic, and impale with its spear (which happens to cause copious bleeding). They can also summon entire droves of dretch demons (4-40 individuals!); add this to the fact that the aeshma tend to travel in squads with vrock demons anyway, and it means that you will be bull rushed into oblivion if you aren't careful.

Demon, Alu
    The CR 5 alu-demons are the results of a succubus-human union. They're more or less succubus-lite when it comes to powers. Meh.

Demon, Baphomet (Demon Lord of Minotaurs)
    Here we meet the first of the demon lords, the horned menace known as Baphomet. He holds claim to a massive labyrinthine castle in the deepest stony caverns of the Abyss, a place few return from alive, and populates it with both normal and demonic-blooded minotaurs (his chosen "children" that worship him as a god). He is an omniscient being who rightfully earns his Challenge Rating of 25, with the ability to send shivers of fear with his mighty voice, rend apart armor, and skewer his foes with his supernaturally powerful halberd. He can also summon demons and minotaurs of many sorts. And if that doesn't scare you enough, he casts spells as a 20th level Wizard.

When it comes to interactions with other beings, Baphomet is not the most subtle of beings. He will break opponents with glee in combat, unless he's bored; in that case, you have fiendish minotaurs to deal with. He also cultivates fanatical worshipers from the minotaur and giantkind (as well as crazy humanoids) into honed cultists known as the Horned Ones, who spread his iron-hoofed will onto the mortal plane as well. Just don't mention gnolls if you know what's best for you. Let's just say....Baphomet and the gnoll demon-god, Yeenoghu? Not the best of friends. Of course, neither of them can say exactly why they're fighting anymore, but both are too bloodthirsty and prideful to really care.
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

Demon, Alu
    The CR 5 alu-demons are the results of a succubus-human union. They're more or less succubus-lite when it comes to powers. Meh.
    Huh, why had Succubus getting pregnant never occured to me before?
    ...Unless she's cute.