New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Where Does the Time Go? (IC)

Hell yeah? Tumble out the door?
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Instead of a "Dodge" which allows you to Abort your next maneuver for a +2 DCV, but is done 'in place' (you can't abort to move and dodge), your action is possible in the game by means of Diving for Cover.

DIVE FOR COVER
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    This Maneuver allows a character to get out of the way of explosions, Area of Effect (AoE) attacks, being englobed in a Force Wall, and other attacks that cover a large area.

Using Dive for Cover
    Spoiler
    Show
    To use Dive for Cover, the character chooses a hex to move to, then makes a DEX Roll with a penalty of -1 for every 1" of distance moved. A character can only Dive for Cover up to half of his maximum movement with the mode of movement used in the Maneuver.

If the DEX Roll succeeds, the character is in the designated hex when the attack goes off. He's considered to be prone (and thus at half DCV) until the next Phase in which he can act.

If the DEX roll fails, the character is considered to be in the air in his starting hex. This means he hasn't automatically avoided the attack, and if it hits him, the GM rolls 1d6 less for calculating Knockback (KB). It doesn't change his DCV or when he next acts (though if he Aborted to Dive for Cover, that obviously factors in). The "in the air" penalties and consequences apply until the character's next Phase. (Of course, he doesn't literally remain "in midair" the entire time - all this means is that the penalties and consequences of failing the Dive for Cover roll remain in effect until his next Phase.) At that point, he "lands" and is "prone"; he must spend a Half Phase to "get up." If he was hit while in midair, that may affect the situation by causing KB, Stunning him, or the like, and the GM should deal with that situation normally. If the attack has no significant effect on the character other than the loss of some STUN and/ or BODY, he still "lands" in his next Phase as described above.

Dive for Cover is an Attack Action. A character Diving for Cover may not perform any other Maneuver (like Dodge or Block). A character can Abort to Dive for Cover.

Some attacks, such as Sweep or a Multiple Move By, involve a sequence of attacks directed at the target in which if one of the attacks misses, all subsequent attacks automatically miss. For these purposes, a successful Dive for Cover counts as a "miss" and ends the sequence of attacks.

A character cannot use Breakfall or Acrobatics to avoid the DCV penalty for Dive for Cover, or to avoid being prone after a Dive for Cover (though when he's allowed to stand up from being prone, he can use Breakfall to accomplish that as a Zero Phase Action). Nor may he use either Skill as a "Complementary Roll" for the DEX Roll to Dive for Cover.

A character can Dive for Cover two or more times in a row, provided that the special effects and timing allow for that. For example, a character who Dives for Cover and ends up prone, but is attacked in a later Segment before he's had a chance to get to his feet, might not be allowed to Dive for Cover again, since he hasn't had a chance to reorient himself and get into a position that would allow him to move quickly again. But in some campaigns, the GM might let characters who are "prone" Dive for Cover by scrambling, rolling, or crawling out of the way.

Length of Movement
    Spoiler
    Show
    A character can only Dive for Cover up to half of his maximum movement with the mode of movement used in the Maneuver. Making a Half Move before Diving for Cover doesn't affect how far a character can Dive for Cover with a mode of movement - he's still restricted to ony half of his maximum movement. If a character makes more than a Half Move, that's a Full Move and prevents him from Diving for Cover that Phase.

A character can Dive for Cover using his Noncombat Movement (NCM), unless the GM forbids this for reasons of game balance, dramatic sense, or the like. This allows him to Dive for up to half his NCM distance. Doing this halves his DCV, making it more likely he'll be hit if the Dive for Cover fails.

Type of MovementAlthough Dive for Cover's name implies that characters use Running (ground movement) or Leaping to perform it, characters can use any type of movement (except Extra-Dimensional Movement, FTL Travel, or any form of MegaScaled movement) to Dive for Cover. The mode of movement used does not affect the need to make a DEX Roll, or modify the roll in any way.

Regardless of what form of movement a character uses to Dive for Cover, he's considered "prone" at the end of the Maneuver. He may still be standing, but due to disorientation and other factors suffers the usual penalties for being "prone." he must spend a Half Phase to get to his feet (or get his bearings) and is at 1/2 DCV until he does so.

If a character uses Leaping to Dive for Cover, the Accurate Adder has no enhanced effect (e.g., it doesn't remove the need to make a DEX Roll, or add a bonus to the DEX Roll). Similarly, the Position Shift Adder provides no extra benefits.

Protecting Other Characters
    Spoiler
    Show
    A character can also use Dive for Cover to protect another character from an attack. He must Dive for Cover to a point between the attacker and the victim. He attempts the Dive for Cover roll normally. If he succeeds, he takes the damage from the attack - the attacker does not have to make an Attack Roll, he just rolls damage, which applies normally to the character who Dove for Cover to "interpose" himself. If the Dive for Cover roll fails, the attacker must make his Attack Roll as normal to hit his intended target.

Skill Levels
    Spoiler
    Show
    A character cannot apply any type of Combat Skill Levels to the DEX Roll he makes when Diving for Cover, since CSLs only affect CV. Nor can a character buy 2-point CSLs with Dive for Cover, since that type of Level only affects OCV. However, he can use applicable 3-point and more expensive CSLs to increase his DCV while Diving for Cover, if appropriate.

If a character has Skill Levels that can apply to DEX Rolls, he may use those to improve his DEX Roll when Diving for Cover, provided he has not already allocated them in the Segment when he uses the Maneuver. Typically this does not include Skill Levels with all Agility Skills or all noncombat Skills, since a DEX Roll is a Characteristic Roll, not a Skill Roll. The GM can, at his option, treat the DEX Roll as an "Agility Skill" roll, thus allowing 5-point Agility Skills or 8-point All Non-Combat Skills to apply, but this is not recommended.

Non-Area Attacks
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dive for Cover is most useful for avoiding attacks that cover a large area, such as Explosion and Area of Effect (AoE) attacks. However, characters can use it to avoid regular (non-area-affecting) attacks as well. For example, a character who desperately wants to avoid being chopped in two by an axe-wielding Denebian autochthon could Dive for Cover to get away from his attacker. If a character successfully Dives for Cover this way, the non-area attack automatically misses; if the Dive for Cover roll fails, the attacker makes his Attack Roll at +2 OCV.

When a character Dives for Cover to avoid a non-area attack, he's not required to literally dive behind cover, move beyond the range of the attack, or the like - all he has to do is travel far enough to get away from the effect of the attack. In many cases, moving 1" out of the way does the trick; in other cases, he may have to move further. The GM may, of course, establish a minimum safe distance based on the nature of the attack, or specify that the character has to Dive in a particular direction. For example, a character trying to Dive for Cover to avoid an attack by a spear-wielding opponent should have to Dive at least the length of the spear; Diving just 1" to the side might not remove a character might not remove a character from the arc of a swung greatsword. In any event, a clever opponent may try to take advantage of the character's 1/2 DCV if he simply dives a mere 1" away.

For Ranged non-area attacks - such as most Energy Blasts (or, perhaps, a Ranged Killing Attack fired from a crossbow) - the nature of the attack and the environment may restrict the character's ability to Dive for Cover. For example, if an attacker fires an EB at a character from straight in front of him, and the only direction the character can Dive for Cover is straight back, the Dive for Cover may not help him - he might still be in the EB's path. In that case, the GM might rule that, based on the nature of the EB, the character could Dive for Cover straight back and "hit the dirt," allowing the Energy Blast to pass over him harmlessly. As always, common sense, dramatic sense, special effects, and the GM's discretion should apply.

You easily make your DEX Roll and flop through the door and onto the deck before the stairs as her crossbow bolt thuds into the wall behind where you were standing.

Post Phase 12 Recovery... End Turn One, Begin Turn Two ...

T2S3: Being a bit more agile than even your agile self, she is already standing in the doorway. She seems to have recovered from the total seething rage she was in, but she still isn't happy. "Darling, something has happened. That strumpet Susan has confused you. You are no longer seeing clearly, so perhaps a 'Blind Love' Bolt will help you."

She quick-loads and fires a bizarrely-tipped bolt that looks far more hi-tech than you would've expected given everything so far ...

You are prone? Do you Abort your action for this Phase to a defense?

3. - Top - End - #63

Since you didn't define a defense, I will assume you will Dodge while Prone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Base DCV 6 + 2 (Ranged CSL) + 1 DCV CSL + 2 (Dodge) = 11/ 2 (Prone) = DCV 6 (fractions are in your favor in CHAMPIONS).
    You are pretty fair at rolling on the ground in a firefight, but she is more agile than you and an obviously accomplished markswoman with her crossbow. The bolt hits you in the right hand, but doesn't penetrate. Instead, some manner of energy is triggered that overrides your nervous system's optical signals (which causes no small amount of pain). You can't see anything right now!

T2S5: "I know I must give you time to think on your betrayal. Soon you will know that we were meant to be together!"

You hear her creeping away downstairs in her tennis shoes.

T2S6: You're blinded, and she's going away, but Susan is still bound and gagged in her kitchen. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2010-04-29 at 03:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Switch to Cloak form and see if that solves the vision problem. If it does, find the best exit to the building and attempt to stop her.....If it doesn't....then revert to Crane mode and try to creep back to Susan's apartment.

Oh and I stand up.....
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2010-04-29 at 03:52 PM.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #65

T2S6: You turn into Cloak form and stand. Because you were blinded before turning into the Cloak, even though the 'Blind-Love Bolt' (a Flash attack) was not Darkness/ Light-based, the effects carry over and effect even your Shadowsight.

Out of Combat ... You revert to 'Crane mode' and stumble back to Susan's apartment, tracing your hand along the wall and unconsciously holding your hand over your eyes ... remember, even though it doesn't have a game-mechanical effect other than the Flash, it is still very painful. (Think of the blinding effect of tear gas - not the choking.)

6. - Top - End - #66

After about two minutes, you finally regain your vision. You struggle the last bit of tears to unbind and ungag Susan. She falls into your arms, shaking and crying, but also doing that half-beat of fists on your chest, "Who the hell was that? Why was she doing that? She seemed like a bad character out of one of my books. Is she some psycho ex-girlfriend?....."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I have NO idea! I've never seen or heard of her before. Are you ok? I just wanted to get her away from you so that you weren't injured. Do you need a doctor?

8. - Top - End - #68

She was slapped around a bit, bound and gagged. But she's made of stern stuff, and is more interested in calling the police so that this woman might be found and jailed.

How do you feel about police involvement, the DM wonders?

Also, are you just going to let things be as they are ... or are you going to try and do what you were trained to do secondarily? (Referring to the fact, of course, that you DO have the skills of a good detective.)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Absolutely! I will absolutely employ my skills to figure this out as best I can......and I am reluctant to involve the police......Very reluctant now that I think about it. I will use my best powers of persuasion to ask Sarah not to call them.

I can't begin to imagine how traumatic that must have been. I'm really sorry you had to go through it. I'm going to ask you to take a big leap of faith here and trust me. I have some skills that I can put to use here and I would ask that you let me try to figure this out before we involve the police.

10. - Top - End - #70

Wow. Not only do you succeed incredibly on your Persuasion, but now (thanks to a roll that was perhaps too good) she wants to 'tag along' to check out these mad skills you are referring to.

The skills, by the way, are for analyzing and making deductions of what you have. Also, deduction is NOT an excuse to try to solve everything with a roll, vice RP. So, detective ... how do you begin?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Well, first Susan needs to recount everything she can to me about what happened before I got there. Leave nothing out. Even the smallest detail may help.
    We need to go to the stairs before others contaminate what traces we may be able to find. So Susan can tell me as we go. Do I recall which way it seemed she exited? Up or down? If not, we'll look for clues or hints on the stairs.

12. - Top - End - #72

So, Tenderheart snuck out (as far as you can tell) by way of the stairwell, heading down.

You have two of her bolts: the razor-tipped bolt with the quadrangular blade cross-section and serrations; and, the funky techno-bolt that caused you to be temporarily blinded. Both of the bolts bear extremely small similar marks ... that of a gallows with a rope hanging down from the gallows, not to a man, but to an 'HM'.

Susan says, "It's my turn. What happened? Tell me everything, especially in your fight with her."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2010-05-04 at 11:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I recount the results of the fight to her as best I can recall as we proceed down the stairs looking for anything Tenderheart may have dropped or traces she may have left behind. Proceed outside to see if there is anyway to track her departure.

14. - Top - End - #74

"Does trouble find you, or what?" she says, shaking her head ... but smiling.

The only clues found are her bolts.

Nothing to track outside.

You have what you can work with for now.

Susan says, "I'll take this strange arrow-thingy with me into the lab on campus tomorrow. Maybe I can find out something about it."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ok.

I will go out and see if there were any witnesses that saw her leave. After that, time to take a trip to the library and use the computer to look up any info on this nutjob.....

16. - Top - End - #76

No one noticed her leave.

There is no record of, nor any reports of anyone fitting the description of, Tenderheart in past news or anything. Since she was focused on you specifically, she could well be a new psycho on the scene.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thinking back.....Do I recall ever hearing the voice or being followed? I recognize I was not looking specifically for these things in the past.....but clearly I should be and will from now on....

18. - Top - End - #78

Nope. Nothing. Nada.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ok....Bill has exhausted his line of thought......................

20. - Top - End - #80

Your hitting the streets have gotten you the information that the "Hanged Man" is a person/ company that supplies weapons and tech to criminals. Further inquiry yields that the racist cult leader Marshall Endicott is one that tends to get a lot of such weapons for his followers. It wasn't too hard to find out where his compound is.

You get there, and it looks like it is the lot of a former, mid-size supermarket. The parking lot is gated and has concertina wire, and there is a guard shack with two guards (one in the shack, one standing outside) that oversee the normal-style "moving arm" type vehicle gate.

There are no other guards on the roof or in the lot, and the main entrance appears to be guarded by another two men. A back door (where deliveries/ shipping were made when this used to be a supermarket is likewise guarded by two guards. You determine this on a high-fly in stealth. The entire grounds are kept decently well-lit with the tall lights (such as you'd find at a supermarket parking lot), augmented by other lights at the shack, entrances, and on each side.

What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2010-05-11 at 04:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I maintain the Fade to Black, realizing the extra endurance cost will be temporary and attempt to enter her from the rear.....Ummm. I mean the backside.....Er....I just go in the building through the "shipping entrance....

22. - Top - End - #82

Not a problem. While "well lit" at the level of the guards, the 'cone of light' above them has 'holes' of darkness you can skirt around easily enough without even paying extra END.

Once inside, you find a large open area - similar to a small warehousing section. This must be where - when it was a supermarket - goods were shipped in and inventoried before being moved into the store proper. There are several basic vehicles here, a forklift, and about a half-dozen guys milling about. These guys are skinheads, but not in Dock Martins with pierced nipples. They tend to be in good, rugged clothing. Some might sport jail tattoos and piercings, but others might be more 'guy on the street' tough. There is an office to the side, a foreman's perch above, a standard door exit to the shipping dock (in addition to the 'hanger doors' you came in, and two different entrances into the place that must be the converted supermarket. Also, you will find a powerbox, telephone junction, and utility room (door closed on the last).

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ok. Is there anyone on the foreman perch? If not I will head for the office in full stealth mode.

24. - Top - End - #84

As you look a little better, you see a guy in dark utility black fatigues, toting some kinda' odd rifle. He's got night vision goggles on his head (but not on his eyes - ready standby, basically). He's got a good view of the office from there.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Is he in the light or staying to the shadows....If he's in the shadows or relatively unseen from his goon buddies, I will attempt to discreetly render him unconscious so that I may enter the office more unobserved.

26. - Top - End - #86

His goon buddies can see him if they looked, but he's not fully in the light either. You could possibly stealthily take him out, and then it's up to the perceptiveness of the goons if they noticed.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

cool Re: Where Does the Time Go? (IC)

Is there a way for me to get into the office unnoticed if I don't take him out? If there is, I go in, if there isn't I try to stealth immobilize him as listed prior.....and then go into the office.

28. - Top - End - #88

The office has a door. Maybe the door opening will be seen, maybe it won't.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

The only door you listed as definitively closed was the utility room door so I was operating under the assumption the office door was open.

30. - Top - End - #90

Sorry about that. The office has a large glass panel that overlooks the warehouse/ garage. There is a door with a large glass window for the office. The utility room door is a typical metal door, and other a sign saying what that door is for, you can't see anything beyond.