New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Any way to get more than 1 cohort?

I'm looking for a way to get more than just 1 cohort with the Leadership feat. does anybody know of a way to do this? or is it not possible and I'm screwed?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Any way to get more than 1 cohort?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I'm looking for a way to get more than just 1 cohort with the Leadership feat. does anybody know of a way to do this? or is it not possible and I'm screwed?
    You can gain cohorts from other sources, but not really the Leadership-feat itself. Well, "talk to DM" is a good possibility.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Technically not Cohorts, but you can Dominate things you want to have as an ally. As long as you remember to redo the Dominate periodically.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thrallherd? And with that you don't have to worry about those pesky "Loyalty" or "Causing the Death of A cohort" along with getting easy replacements.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Thrallherd? And with that you don't have to worry about those pesky "Loyalty" or "Causing the Death of A cohort" along with getting easy replacements.
    I love Thrallherd so much. Sulf replicating cannon fodder is amazing.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do hirelings, players and DMPCs count?
    you could go gestalt and be a m thrallheard mindbender.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'm curious as to how not being able to do the particular oddly specific (and cheesy) thing you want would make you "screwed".

Anyway, you could theoretically have your cohort take the Leadership feat and get another cohort (although a character 4 levels behind you might not be all that great). Or you could be a Thrallherd, as mentioned, if you're playing at a high level. For extra bonus cheese, combine both and have your two thralls both be Thrallherds. (Though by the class's fluff, you shouldn't really be able to choose your thralls, since they're just whoever's around that happens to be on your weird mind control frequency.)

Alternately, you could try to convince however many NPC lackeys of whatever description you want to do what you say in-character, instead of using a feat. If you can adjust someone's attitude to Helpful with the Diplomacy skill, that should suffice to make them an ally, if not a follower. But then they might not be treated as a cohort and might thus take XP away from the PCs, which would of course be bad if that was what you were trying to avoid. This part of the rules is pretty wonky...
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I meant that my idea is screwed. I had an idea about a Dragonborn Paladin with a Tiefling, Revenge obsessed wizard and a Delusional, Giant hating Minotaur.

I on the other hand shall be just fine. Once I think of a good movie to watch.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I meant that my idea is screwed. I had an idea about a Dragonborn Paladin with a Tiefling, Revenge obsessed wizard and a Delusional, Giant hating Minotaur.

I on the other hand shall be just fine. Once I think of a good movie to watch.
    The Matrix.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Roleplay a high charisma score by persuading other adventurers to follow you. Totally RAW.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    The Matrix.
    not exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Something without a dark setting preferably.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

not exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Something without a dark setting preferably.
    Mulan? M films rock apparently.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Mulan? M films rock apparently.
    This actually sounds like a good idea!

now if only my sound were working.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Wild Cohort feat
    Extra Followers feat

Not exactly what you're looking for but it may help.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Could I use Wild Cohort on my Paladin mount since it's technically an animal?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Paladin mounts are treated as magical beasts, though they still get Animal hit dice. Furthermore, the rules for things like animal companions, paladin mounts, familiars, wild cohorts, etc. all contain language like "Use the base statistics for a creature of the ________'s kind, but make the following changes". So you can't just obtain a modified version of one of the available creatures for such a class feature or feat at no cost. You have to take a penalty to your effective level or take the Improved Familiar feat or whatever to get a better creature. Of course, like your character, you can do various things to improve it once you have it (although awaken is explicitly out).
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically not Cohorts, but you can Dominate things you want to have as an ally. As long as you remember to redo the Dominate periodically.
    Having played a Telepath psion my big fear about keeping dominated allies around was I'm in big battle, and one of the enemy casters dispels my domination or uses a simple protection from alignment.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm pretty sure there's a feat. I was in a PbP game one time with two guys who had two cohorts (one actually had three cohorts). If I remember correctly, it's got some heavy pre-reqs and a huge feat investment, but it's there. I'll go check crystalkeep.

Nope, crystal keep doesn't have it. I have no idea where it's from. I don't have access to their sheets anymore.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What about controlling unintelligent undead with class levels? Necropolitan cohort perhaps?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

what about undead leadership?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nohwl View Post
    what about undead leadership?
    Isn't there a condition that you can't have undead leadership AND the normal one?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Now that I think about it...you do get Followers. If you ramp up your Leadership score enough, they may be of high enough level to be equivalent to your Cohort, at least early on (though you need to ramp it well into 50s by level 20 to keep it that way). It may be your best bet though; pick your few highest level cohorts for the other "roles".
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Undead leadership only applies a -4 penalty on your leadership score for your living follower which is easily negated by being really nice to them (Compassionate), wearing a distinctive item (Who doesn't own a favorite cloak?) and having some really sweet diggs (Stronghold). Besides, what undead owning master of darkness doesn't have a few necromantic cultists running about?

You and your cohorts can also take the improved cohort feat (HoB) in order to minimize the level gap.

Also, nothing really prevents you from taking undead leadership and thrallheard.

The Legendary Leader prestige class from Heros of Battle is decent for buffing your followers, getting extra ones and justifying more cohorts from a role playing perspective.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

The hathran prestige class provides a second cohort at hathran 4.
    There is also a rogue feat called guildmaster or something like that which allows a second cohort at 12th level.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    The Thrallherd PrC specifically states it does not work alongside Leadership. The OP seems to want more than one cohort at the same time, as opposed to renewable cohorts.

So while Thrallherd is one of my most favourite psionic Prestige Classes of all time, it isn't the correct answer to the question posed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    The Thrallherd PrC specifically states it does not work alongside Leadership. The OP seems to want more than one cohort at the same time, as opposed to renewable cohorts.

So while Thrallherd is one of my most favourite psionic Prestige Classes of all time, it isn't the correct answer to the question posed.
    They get a second one at Level 10.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AshenPlanet View Post
    The hathran prestige class provides a second cohort at hathran 4.
    There is also a rogue feat called guildmaster or something like that which allows a second cohort at 12th level.
    What are Hathran and guild master from?

also, I've already gone to Paladin 8 so thrallherd isn't an extremely useful PRC.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-03-15 at 06:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Leadership and Undead Leadership can both be taken together (I think. Need to double check Libris Mortis). It id definitely the case that RAW thrallherd and Undead Leadership can both be taken together. (Neither UL or Thrallherd mentions the other. Thrallherd just mentions leadership).
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Could I use Wild Cohort on my Paladin mount since it's technically an animal?
    If you look at page 200 of the DMG, you should see a short entry entitled "Paladin Cohort Mounts." I don't know how well this plays with wild cohort, but it could open up some interesting options for you.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2010-03-15 at 09:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hathran, the most recent version, is Player's Guide to Faerun. It only gets a bonus to Leadership score, and only if your cohort is male barbarian or female spellcaster from the same region (Rashemen).

The older version of Hathran, from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, got a bonus cohort at 1st level of the PrC. The bonus cohort has to be a male barbarian or female spellcaster from the same region (Rashemen).

A quick look at the WotC PrC index doesn't show any Guild Master PrC.
    Last edited by AbyssKnight; 2010-03-15 at 10:43 PM.