New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

What are Oneiromancy and the Protocols? I'm guessing Protocols deal with Alchemicals, but I would like some slighlty more solid confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Indeed, weaving Protocols is what Alchemicals do instead of shaping Sorcery. According to the Alchemicals book, the protocols canonically lay inbetween the circles powerwise (that is, Man-Machine is stronger than Terrestrial but weaker than Celestial, and God-Machine is stronger than Celestial but weaker than Solar), but I'm not sure how that's reflected in the actual spells.

Oneiromancy is a strange little thing that's not really Sorcery at all. It's a Shaping thing that Rakshas do, and it basically creates artifats for them to use out of Gossamer. I think it can be used in Creation, while their usual Shaping requires at least some kind of Wyld to function, but don't quote me on that; I suck at Raksha.

For completeness, one could mention Thaumaturgy as well. That's not sorcery in any sense of the word; it costs no motes to use, and it can't enforce your will upon reality. Instead, it works by manipulating the magical bonds that already permeates Creation, manipulating them to your will. It's highly ritualistic, takes long time to cast and have very minor benefits compared to Sorcery spells and charms. The benefit is that everyone, even mortals, can use it.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Protocols are basically a programming language. Protocol users send instructions to the Pattern Spiders, who make changes in reality for them.

They can also simply reprogram reality itself, although doing so is quite strenuous. But it's the only way to affect beings outside Fate like demons, fair folk and such. It also works in places outside the Pattern Spider's purview, so if you wanna use a Protocol in Malfaes... better get spending that Willpower.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

I wish Secret's fear was meditating on the creature of death she has become and she would overcome it by raising her Essence and becoming even more powerful.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    For completeness, one could mention Thaumaturgy as well. That's not sorcery in any sense of the word; it costs no motes to use, and it can't enforce your will upon reality. Instead, it works by manipulating the magical bonds that already permeates Creation, manipulating them to your will. It's highly ritualistic, takes long time to cast and have very minor benefits compared to Sorcery spells and charms. The benefit is that everyone, even mortals, can use it.
    Thaumaturgy needs exotic components to work. But you can do without if you spend essence instead (That's why the better non-exalted thaumaturges are enlighten mortals)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

*doubletakes*

As Marena said, Necromancy?!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

I have a feeling secret is about to have a very, very bad night.

But I also have a feeling we'll learn more about her...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Damn...that's cold, Misho. Plus, didn't she just get a bit more Resonance?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

Well done Jukashi. Well done.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    It's her name that causes it, not names of others from her former life.

Also... Hypnotic Tongue Technique?

11. - Top - End - #581
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I don't think she gains Resonance from telling him her father's name (she only gave up her name, after all,) I think he's using Irresistable Questioning Technique (hence the colored speech bubble.)

But yeah, when he said this was going to be unpleasant, he wasn't kidding.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Also... Hypnotic Tongue Technique?
    My guess would be Terrifying Apparition of Glory or Irresistible Questioning Technique (or perhaps, more amusingly, Enemy-Castigating Solar Judgment).
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    My guess would be Terrifying Apparition of Glory or Irresistible Questioning Technique (or perhaps, more amusingly, Enemy-Castigating Solar Judgment).
    I'd bet Irresistible Questioning Technique. Not really burning in glory nor drawing from the guilt/shame of the target.

Funny, I would have thought Misho would be more the kind to learn Art of the Dead than Necromancy. I guess Thaumaturgy is just not badass enough when you're a First Age Solar...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

...so, wait, does this mean he has his SCS initiation from the First Age?

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

So... He knows Solar Circle Sorcery and Necromancy? Yeah, he's not a God-Mode Sue.

Also, a magical art that destroys ghosts almost as an afterthought isn't evil? Suure.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

So... He knows Solar Circle Sorcery and Necromancy? Yeah, he's not a God-Mode Sue.

Also, a magical art that destroys ghosts almost as an afterthought isn't evil? Suure.
    Yeah, he isnt a god-mode sue, since im pretty sure one of those has yet to lose a important battle for the fate of creation because he broken down and startet to cry.

Anyway, todays comic looked pretty good, especaly the effects for magic very quite dramatic.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

What? Necromancy doesn't destroy ghosts 'as an afterthought'. There are spells that destroy ghosts, yes.

But some spells from Necromancy are actually good. Plus, you can only counter Necromancy with Necromancy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #588
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Gentle Touch of Lethe is totally evil ! You force the target to pass to the soul-blender called Lethe without he could say anything about it ! How can you impose the natural circle of life upon someone ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

19. - Top - End - #589
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #590

Quote Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
    Gentle Touch of Lethe is totally evil ! You force the target to pass to the soul-blender called Lethe without he could say anything about it ! How can you impose the natural circle of life upon someone ?
    Why is nature not evil, exactly?

@^: I think he means that he isn't going to teach them necromancy. He just wants to prove a point.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2010-04-26 at 06:29 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #591
    Bugbear in the Playground

As I understand it:
    In order to become a sorceror you need to pass trials including a trial of fear.
    Secret's fear is one to do with her family, so Misho is (presumably) going to summon her father's soul by Necromancy for the trial.

He won't teach them necromancy.

Also considering that reincarnation destroys the personality, it could be held akin to sending them to the Void.
    Last edited by Doran; 2010-04-26 at 06:33 AM.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

22. - Top - End - #592

I read "it" as "sorcery" -- "I'm not going to teach sorcery to you. Here, take necromancy instead!" That's why I was confused. Makes more sense if "it" refers to necromancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post

I have a feeling secret is about to have a very, very bad night.

But I also have a feeling we'll learn more about her...
    Agreed. Poor Secret.

Also, red-eyed Misho looks very disturbing. Very.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Necromancy being evil or not aside... doesn't knowing Necromancy degrade your ability to use Sorcery? Like, for each circle of Necromancy you know, you lose access to one Sorcery circle (out of the maximum, not of the ones you know), and vice-versa?

Because that would mean Misho can't ever hit the Solar Circle, at the very least.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Um... does it actually say that anywhere? I'm not sure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

My (first edition) understanding was simply that one's capacity to learn one was one less than one's capacity to learn the other (i.e. a solar can learn all 3 levels of sorcery, but only the first 2 circles of necromancy, an abyssal is the other way around, lunars and sidereals can only learn the first necro circle, etc.)

Granted, it's been a long time since I read this stuff, so I may be remembering wrong (and it might not be the same in second edition anyway).
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

I can find things in the Exalted wiki which support what I'm saying, but I'm having a difficult time actually finding corresponding passages in the books (and since I don't trust wikis to be entirely accurate, this is frustrating to me).

I swear I've read it somewhere though.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

Enlightened Mortals can learn either Sorcery or Necromancy, but not both of them. I don't remember reading something about Exalts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I found what I was looking for. Doesn't seem to have any mechanical basis though, which just makes it bizarre.
    In the lexicon of the main book, page 18. Under Necromancy and Sorcery it mentions one inhibiting your ability to use the other.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Secret's little "oh no" at the end there was excellent. She knows what's coming, and doesn't like it.